PDA

View Full Version : OT - Wasps nest in attic?

stefanospops
08-22-2011, 04:40 PM
AM hoping some of my fellow Torontonians can help me out. I think I have a large wasps nest in my attic. I see a lot of them flying in and out of a hole near the roof. Anyone ever deal with such an issue? What did you do? If you called a pest control expert, who and how much? All advice is welcome. Thanks!

roscoepc1
08-22-2011, 06:03 PM
Can you physically get to the nest? Meaning do you have access to the "door" of it, so to speak?

If so, wait until night-time...all the wasps will be home to sleep. Then use a high quality wasp spray and spray a LOT into the hole on the nest (the door). I say high quality b/c this is one area you don't want to skimp....you want them immediately immobalized....RAID is usually my first choice, but Canadian Tire has some good brands as well.

I would then block the hole in your home that they are coming through....silicone or some other type of caulking should work well, unless it a large hole, in which case you may need to utilize some wood and nails etc....

I have no clue about exterminators....that's not something anyone I know would spend money on...we're pretty self-sufficient around our area...;)

Gigi22
08-22-2011, 06:13 PM
Be very careful if you take the DIY approach. My best friend's father accidentally disturbed a wasp's nest and was stung 20 times, his wife was stung about 6 times. They both had to go to a medical clinic for treatment. The exterminator told them that wasps are attracted to light--if you must go after them at night, do so in absolute darkness, because they will immediately head for anyone holding a light.

tgropp
08-22-2011, 06:35 PM
Agreed....make sure that it is at night time. I have done this numerous times, but always outside. And that spray works wonders. They just drop like...flies

roscoepc1
08-22-2011, 06:35 PM
Be very careful if you take the DIY approach. My best friend's father accidentally disturbed a wasp's nest and was stung 20 times, his wife was stung about 6 times. They both had to go to a medical clinic for treatment. The exterminator told them that wasps are attracted to light--if you must go after them at night, do so in absolute darkness, because they will immediately head for anyone holding a light.

Good grief! I never thought of that! Obviously, I've never used a light for DIY, or I would have! Ouch!

stefanospops
08-23-2011, 06:20 AM
I made a few phone calls and have found a guy that will charge $150 to do it. I also did some more research on the Internet and found a great site, I think it was called ask the exterminator, or something like that. If I do it on my own it seems the best thing to use is some dust called Tempo 1%. It will kill all kinds of insects that come in contact with it, including bed bugs in case anyone brings home the critters from a vacation! It also confirms to do things at night when wasps are all in their nest. Still, I may just pay someone else to do it. Thanks all!