PDA

View Full Version : DVC vs other timeshares

Happy Mom2
08-21-2011, 11:41 AM
I'm don't know if this is the right place to post this, but I'm figuring some of you may have researched other time shares before buying into DVC.

I've been thinking about buying into DVC, but the thing that keeps holding me back is that we want to travel to other places besides Disney also. I've read that the exchange rate is to other non-Disney properties is high.

Do I just rent my points the year I want to travel somewhere else to offset the cost? I know there are other timeshares with locations on Disney property, but we really like the Disney dining plan. Are there any timeshares that can be exchanged for Disney resorts? (I hope I'm making sense. :confused3)

I'd really appreciate any thoughts, opinions, suggestions, etc. :)

Dean
08-21-2011, 12:06 PM
I'm don't know if this is the right place to post this, but I'm figuring some of you may have researched other time shares before buying into DVC.

I've been thinking about buying into DVC, but the thing that keeps holding me back is that we want to travel to other places besides Disney also. I've read that the exchange rate is to other non-Disney properties is high.

Do I just rent my points the year I want to travel somewhere else to offset the cost? I know there are other timeshares with locations on Disney property, but we really like the Disney dining plan. Are there any timeshares that can be exchanged for Disney resorts? (I hope I'm making sense. :confused3)

I'd really appreciate any thoughts, opinions, suggestions, etc. :)It's good to do your research now and learn what works and what doesn't before you commit. Buying DVC for non DVC trips (DCL, timeshare exchanges, etc) is a very poor and risky approach. Exchanges in to DVC are likely easier and less risky than DVC members exchanging out, but it's still not a guarantee and is not an approach I'd suggest for most people. You need to do your research but it sounds like buying less DVC points AND another timeshare might be your best option. IF you want to buy only one, I think your best option is to go with the non DVC option (assuming alternative years) that best fits your needs and then see if you can get DVC through that route and pay cash or rent from a member when you can't. Just make sure you don't buy another one that's based in Orlando though it appears that currently the mini systems like Bluegreen and Wyndham don't lock you out of trading to DVC. BG would likely be a better choice than Wyndham for trading to DVC but both are good systems. You should also look at RCI points resorts that are non Orlando.

Happy Mom2
08-21-2011, 12:23 PM
Dean, you've given me a lot of things to think about. Thank you for sharing.

Anyone else??

Dean
08-21-2011, 02:49 PM
Dean, you've given me a lot of things to think about. Thank you for sharing.

Anyone else??One thing to add to your decision making. If you make a choice with Bluegreen or Wyndham that doesn't work out ideally for you, you've got an up front cost of around $500-1000 and yearly fees maybe $1100 assuming a 2 BR once a year. That same 2 BR with DVC will cost you $15-20K up front and yearly fees more in the $1500 a year range. Neither would require any additional fees other than pay as you play for each exchange. If you do trade in to DVC, you'll have an additional $95 fee on top of the $140-180 exchange fee.

As I hinted, BG would likely be the better of the 2 trying to trade to DVC but Wyndham the better for internal usage. You might also look at Diamond if you want to do travel within Europe, esp the UK.

cjnix29
08-21-2011, 03:25 PM
have to agree with Dean. We are bluegreen owners too. The resale market is great right now for picking up cheap points. But Bluegreen has resorts mainly on the east coast (Myrtle Beach, Florida Coast). They are in other areas too, but most concentrated there. Wyndham would have a higher number of internal resorts to use. That being said, we are happy bluegreen owners. Just bought 9000 more points for $575. As an example, I just exchanged for a week in January at BLT for 8000 points. We have more than once contemplated buying DVC, but this works so much better for us, as we like to take non Disney vacations too. But research is your best bet. You should never buy a timeshare as an impulse purchase!

amberkow
08-21-2011, 10:28 PM
Speaking of doing research, it's also important to check out some message boards that focus on other timeshares. When I was doing research I learned a lot form this one: http://tugbbs.com/forums/