PDA

View Full Version : Tropical Storm Irene

WolfpackFan
08-21-2011, 08:09 AM
Terrific. We check into Hilton Head a week from today and looking at the computer models, it would appear to me that Irene will be sitting right over HHI then. If not HH, it will be over where we live in NC. We have really been looking forward to this trip. This has not been a good month for us as my mother passed away last Monday.

wendydarling826
08-21-2011, 08:31 AM
We're flying into Orlando Friday. Just when it's supposed to hit Florida. Awesome. I just keep telling myself that it's too early for them to forecast with certainty.

iluvtheworld
08-21-2011, 09:22 AM
Terrific. We check into Hilton Head a week from today and looking at the computer models, it would appear to me that Irene will be sitting right over HHI then. If not HH, it will be over where we live in NC. We have really been looking forward to this trip. This has not been a good month for us as my mother passed away last Monday.

So sorry for your loss. I hope that the forecast is wrong and that the storm will miss HH and your home. Here are some good vibes for a great vacation! :goodvibes:goodvibes

wendydarling826
08-21-2011, 10:01 AM
So sorry for your loss. I hope that the forecast is wrong and that the storm will miss HH and your home. Here are some good vibes for a great vacation! :goodvibes:goodvibes

I missed the end of your post first time - I'm very sorry for your loss. I hope your family has smooth travel and much rest and relaxation in HH.pixiedust:pixiedust:pixiedust:

CarolMN
08-21-2011, 10:09 AM
So sorry for the loss of your Mom. Hope Irene changes course and goes out to sea.

Simba's Mom
08-21-2011, 11:32 AM

I remember one time, when we were at HHI, a long-time CM told me that because of the location of the resort, it doesn't get the strong winds that other parts of the island do in a hurricane. According to her, they don't call it "Shelter" Cove for nothin! So if a hurricane comes, just hunker down in your villa. And as far as the hurricane hitting your home in NC-do what we here in the Gulf do-pray alot!

genmasjoy
08-21-2011, 12:15 PM
A few years ago, we were at DVC at HH and there was a hurricane warning. The entire island was ordered by local officials to evacuate. We were told we had to leave the resort immediately. We drove through a lot of traffic, and spent the night at a motel off of I-95. The next day we drove up to our next destination, Willimasburg, VA. Shortly after we checked in, the hurricane, which had been downgraded to a storm and had missed HH completely, followed us there. It was one stormy night, and then it was over. Anyway, Disney gave us back the unused points...but I would not suggest you check in at HH if it looks like the storm is coming because you will not be able to stay.

Corinne
08-21-2011, 12:21 PM
So sorry about the loss of your Mom. Sending pixiedust: so that Irene is not in the way!

jacesmommy
08-21-2011, 12:28 PM
May I first say that I'm so sorry about the loss of your mom. :hug:

Secondly, they are SO far off from an accurate prediction right now. You know how these things are prone to last minute changes. And hopefully, at worst, it'll 'ruin' just a day or day and a half of your trip. Sometimes Mother Nature is a huge pain in the butt! :confused:

I'm keepin my fingers crossed that all goes well for you. :banana:

LOVETHATMOUSE
08-21-2011, 06:57 PM
We leave Weds first flight out 6 am for my dd's sweet sixteen trip (dh, myself, dd and 3 friends). I just went online and purchased trip insurance "just in case". Everything is covered in it - including tropical storms and hurricanes. Better safe than sorry.

JimMIA
08-21-2011, 07:14 PM
I'm sorry for your loss. Hopefully your trip will play a good role in the healing process.

It's not time to freak about Irene yet. At this point, the models are very divergent and there's no real telling where this thing is going to go or what's going to happen with it. One fo my favorite models predicts the storm will remain offshore of the East Coast. The other one predicts it will go up the Gulf Coast of Florida. Who knows?

In the latest forecast, they're calling for the storm to speed up a bit (and she's already breezing along at 17 MPH). We were expecting it here in Miami Thurs night/Fri morning, but now it's looking like a Thurs morning event.

Beyond 3 days, the models are notoriously iffy, so I will fearlessly predict that by next Sunday, Irene (if she still exists) will be somewhere between NE of Bermuda and east of New Orleans.

I'm waiting another 24-48 hours before I really form an opinion on what happens with this system.

Sandisw
08-21-2011, 07:28 PM
Just want to say thoughts and prayers with you and your family as you deal with the loss of your mom. And, I hope that things work out in a way that your trip to HH will be of comfort to you.

Spencerfamilynj
08-21-2011, 07:29 PM
Sorry for your loss, certainly don't need to be worried about hurricanes at a time like this. We were in HH earlier this month. They were predicting another hurricane at that time and we had family in FL warning us not to go. End result, once it hit the islands, it dissipated and it was a low pressure system. Don't worry and I bet it will be fine. Prayers for you and your family.

WDW Enabler
08-21-2011, 07:46 PM
It is a bit too early to worry. I live in north east Florida and wanted to go this weekend, but there were no studios available. I booked for the next weekend which is the "projected" impact of Irene. I wanted to go to the water parks. I'll just have to wait and see.

BUDDYBEAR
08-21-2011, 08:35 PM
SORRY GOOD LUCK ON YOUR TRIP :cool1:

DizDays
08-22-2011, 01:31 AM
So sorry for your loss. It is never easy to lose a parent. My deepest sympathies.

Sending pixiedust: your way. Don't fret yet. It's way to early to tell. I lived in Miami long enough to know not to believe long term forecasts. You have a little while yet.

Safe travels and magical memories!!

buzz5985
08-22-2011, 02:26 AM

I am so very sorry for your loss!!

I checked into HHI today, been on vacation for about 10 days already - haven't watched the news - better pay attention and tune in this week before my drive home to MA.

Janis

JimMIA
08-22-2011, 07:15 AM
Irene became a Hurricane last night, and now looks like it will threaten VB and possibly HHI later this week. I've started a new thread over on the DVC Planning forum and will be posting regular updates over there.

Here's a link: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2784808

pinkle
08-22-2011, 07:20 AM
Every September we head to Disney and every September I hold my breath as I watch the hurricane sesason start moving in!!!!! Now I will be on the edge of my seat. Thanks to everyone for keep me up with the latest info!

RumpleMom
08-22-2011, 09:42 AM
To poster who went online to add trip insurance:

Member services told me that you can't add trip insurance to a trip less than 30 days before a trip.

LOVETHATMOUSE
08-22-2011, 09:47 AM
To poster who went online to add trip insurance:

Member services told me that you can't add trip insurance to a trip less than 30 days before a trip.

I didn't do the trip insurance on my dvc points..too late for that..I did trip insurance through access america for luggage, plane, car rental, etc. That you can do up to 48 hours before your trip.

dgaston
08-22-2011, 11:17 AM
:grouphug: Sorry for the loss of your mother. I hope you will still be able to enjoy some R & R at HHI. Here's more :tink: for you.