PDA

View Full Version : Generous Appetizers/Meals at WDW

Disne
08-19-2011, 07:45 PM
I booked a WDW vacation without a dining plan. (The last time we traveled in 2009, we enjoyed a free meal plan for the same price we will be traveling in 2011.) Based on everyone's own experience, what food items have you tried seem filling for the price paid? It doesn't matter what the item is or where the vendor is located - please list anything you felt was generous. I am on a tight budget and hope to only eat twice each day we are at WDW.

Thank you.

Hoosier Mom
08-19-2011, 08:04 PM
We are usually on the dining plan, but we usually pick a couple extra table service places to eat and pay out of pocket. We usually pay out of pocket at 50's Primetime in DHS. I love the fried chicken plate, except I substitute the greens for something else. It also comes with mashed potatoes.

One thing you can do to save money is get ice water everywhere instead of soft drinks.

Also we haven't eaten at Sunshine Seasons at Epcot yet, but I saw a picture of the turkey foccatia sandwich and it looked huge. I'm sure I can probably split that with my husband.

dansyr2514
08-19-2011, 08:08 PM
Wolfgang Puck's express at the marketplace has pretty big portions, especially for a counter service.

crabbygal902
08-19-2011, 08:20 PM
Flame Tree BBQ in AK has huge portions, especially the 1/2 rack of ribs plate and the 1/2 smoked chicken. They are both served with a couple of sides.

Tangierine Cafe in Epcot's Morocco has an absolutely enormous shawarma chicken and lamb platter. It is served with hummus, tabouleh, couscous, and bread.

Pecos Bill's in MK has a fixins bar (lettuce, tomato, grilled onions, grilled mushrooms, sliced cheese, melted cheese, pickles, etc) for your burger or salad, and you can add lots of those yummy toppings to make a very substantial meal. I believe that Cosmic Ray's has a similar bar, too.

The meatball pizza I had at WPE in DD was scary big. When they brought it out, I said out loud "Really? This is a meal for 1 person?" The waiter said that he heard that a lot. :)

If you want to splurge on a meal, here might be some good options:

Although it is pricey ($33), I am always 'Thanksgiving full' after a meal at 'Ohanas. All you care to eat of everything. Whew. The meats are good, but my favorites are the dumplings and the bread pudding. Yum.

The best bang for your buck at a buffet would be Trails End breakfast or dinner. It is considerably less than other buffets on property. I just looked at the menus, and Trails End dinner is about $14 less than Chef Mickey's.

LovesTimone
08-19-2011, 08:26 PM
Some QS locations have large portions to the point that some can be shared.
MK - Ray's has 1/2 chicken dinner with Smashed potatoes and a veggie. they also have a toppings bars -
Epoct - Sunshine season - good food / The bakery in France - Ham and Cheese Crossiant
AK - flame tree

Resorts - QS -POR - has a make your own pasta - POFQ - shrimp Po'boy
QS - Poly - Captain Hook's
QS - Breakfast at any of the resorts has a bounty platter that is more food than most people can eat.

DTD - Rain Forest ( there is also a Rain forest outside of AK) - T-Rex - Basically the same food choices - completely different themeing, they do have very good portioned appetizer.
Planet Hollywood - sampler appetizer very filling.
Earl of Sandwich - they are wonderful and only around 6.00 bucks.

Boardwalk - ESPN - Great appetizers - Last time DH and I were there we shared a sampler appetizer, and 2 house salads. We could not finish the appetizer.

To help with cost - you could bring some snacks along for breakfast in the room, granola, breakfast bars, pop tarts, muffins and even the one serving cereal cups. You could also bring snacks for in between meals. You could bring along drink mixes and refill bottled water : crystal light or gator aid.

You can check out allears for up to date menus with prices.

Have a magical vaca:)

Quin
08-19-2011, 09:06 PM
In Epcot, the Biergarten lunch is significantly less expensive than the dinner. Dinner has only a few extra items on the buffet and the band does play at scheduled intervals at lunchtime, so you can get entertainment too if you want it. This and the Trails End buffet at Ft. Wilderness are probably the two least expensive buffet options, and buffets are definitely the most "filling" dining options.

bluejasmine
08-20-2011, 08:42 AM
Trex has big portions.. I got the footprints flatbreadm(off appy menu) as my meal and it is defanitely big enought to share with someone as your meal, its HUGE!

Its like $15 bucks but not bad for a meal for 2!

Disne
08-21-2011, 09:58 AM
In looking at our daily itineries, we've reserved times for Biergarten and Trail's End. After scanning reviews for the buffets, it appears that drinks are included at Trail's End. Are any drinks included at Biergarten?

Separately, at any buffet restaurant, is milk included? Do buffet options include free drink refills? As a non coffee or soda drinker, I generally only drink water when eating out (water is free most of the time), but if a restaurant offers free refills on tea or milk, I'll take it as an unexpected change. :goodvibes

patsal
08-21-2011, 01:12 PM
Yes on tea, no on milk.

Eastern
08-21-2011, 02:08 PM
I thought that the 3 course lunch at Le Cellier and the 3 course lunch at Chefs de France were both very generous. (if you eat lunch there you don't need dinner, maybe just a snack)

Disne
08-22-2011, 06:30 AM
We're staying at the All-Star Sports Resort. When we last visited, we were at the All-Star Movie Resort, which offered platters of food at each meal. Does the All-Star Sports Resort End Zone Food Court also offer platters (for breakfast especially)? I don't see platters listed at http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/dining/diningdetail.cfm?Restaurant.ID=345 .

Quin
08-22-2011, 07:11 AM
Yes. Check the menus on www.allears.net

Cherinva
08-22-2011, 08:04 AM
I've found that no matter where I eat, lunch or dinner...I get full before finishing the meal....and I rarely eat the dessert...I usually get something that I can take with me to eat later.

TaraPA
08-22-2011, 08:57 AM
We've always been able to share meals at Tangierine Cafe in Morocco in Epcot, and at Yak & Yeti CS in AK.

disneyfav4ever
08-22-2011, 01:18 PM
The pizza at WPE, and the platters from Tangerine. I don't know what you consider budget as far as TS goes, but there are a lot of reasonably priced lunch options if you stay away from buffets, like the lamb wrap at Sanaa, tacos at Kona, and sandwiches at the Wave.

wezee
08-22-2011, 02:40 PM
House of Blues at DTD used to have 1/2 off appies from 3pm to 5pm daily. Their appies are large....especially the pizza...which DH loves. They also used to have a beer specials.....$2 domestic beers.

Also....HOB $25 gift certificates are usually available at Restaurant.com, and with an 80% off code can be gotten online for $2.00.

Kristina
08-22-2011, 05:05 PM
Can you still order a second bun at Peco's Bills? I remember back when I was researching our first trip the advice was to get a double burger

Disne
08-28-2011, 10:55 AM
Are there any restaurants that are a "Go To" destination strictly due to their non-alcoholic beverage options?

For resort food options, are any restaurants/food courts open 24/7? How early do the food courts open at the All-Star resorts? Our return flight home requires breakfast at 2:00 am (if we choose to eat at all); is room service our only option?

cymbaldiva
08-28-2011, 02:02 PM
Can you still order a second bun at Peco's Bills? I remember back when I was researching our first trip the advice was to get a double burger

I believe most locations have steered away from the double burger and are now offering 1/3 lb burgers instead.

Disne
09-19-2011, 07:31 PM
House of Blues at DTD used to have 1/2 off appies from 3pm to 5pm daily. Their appies are large....especially the pizza...which DH loves. They also used to have a beer specials.....$2 domestic beers.

Also....HOB $25 gift certificates are usually available at Restaurant.com, and with an 80% off code can be gotten online for $2.00.

That's a great option; House of Blues still offers the half off appetizers promotion from 3 - 5:00 pm.

Do any other restaurants at Disney World offer %-off deals if one eats during a specific time (or orders a specific item)?

Quin
09-19-2011, 09:48 PM
For resort food options, are any restaurants/food courts open 24/7? How early do the food courts open at the All-Star resorts? Our return flight home requires breakfast at 2:00 am (if we choose to eat at all); is room service our only option?

I don't think any of the All-Stars offer 24/7. Or room service. Your best bet is to get some pastries on your way out of the park on your final night (Main St. Bakery in MK, Boulangerie in France in Epcot, Writers Stop in DHS because Starring Rolls closes early). If you ask they mostly have plastic clamshell containers that will keep things fresher than just a paper bag.

Quin
09-19-2011, 09:49 PM
That's a great option; House of Blues still offers the half off appetizers promotion from 3 - 5:00 pm.

Do any other restaurants at Disney World offer %-off deals if one eats during a specific time (or orders a specific item)?

No, just the non-Disney-owned restaurants in DTD which may have specials or on-line coupons.

Disne
09-21-2011, 06:42 PM
I don't think any of the All-Stars offer 24/7. Or room service. Your best bet is to get some pastries on your way out of the park on your final night (Main St. Bakery in MK, Boulangerie in France in Epcot, Writers Stop in DHS because Starring Rolls closes early). If you ask they mostly have plastic clamshell containers that will keep things fresher than just a paper bag.

That may be what we'll have to do. The last park we will be visiting is Hollywood Studios; are there any pastry shops on the property we could visit prior to departing for the hotel (and home)?