PDA

View Full Version : If you don't like your meal and you are on the meal plan?

c3363
08-19-2011, 09:16 AM
We will be going in September and are having a hard time making dining reservations for restaurants with "normal" food. Our group contains several adult picky eaters which do not eat red meat, exotic dishes and one has a severe food allergy. We also don't have park hopper so we are trying to stick to restaurants in downtown or resorts in case our day-to-day park plans change.

I made several reservations in which there is probably only 1-2 dishes that we will choose from. Even these choices have ingredients/sauces that we aren't crazy about. We almost never complain in restaurants, but that often ends up in us not eating anything at all. If we order a meal and then find that we just can't eat it (for the taste) will they refund our table service credit? Or will they allow us to modify the choices to eliminate the sauces and substitute some of the sides?

Cheshire Figment
08-19-2011, 09:30 AM
1. For the person with the food allergy. They need to contact Special Diets in advance of the trip. I would suggest going to the disABILITIES Forum and look at Post #3 of the disABILITIES FAQs. There is a large section in that post dealing with special dietary needs, as well as many related links. You can get directly to the disABILITIES FAQs by following the link in my signature.

2. As a general rule at table service locations they will do things as leave off sauces or put them on the side, or make substitutions of side dishes if what you are asking for is somewhere else on their menu.

3. If you are so worried, why not drop the dining plan?

4. If you order something and then decide you do not like it (as compared to its not having been prepared properly) why should Disney throw away its money because of your intentional misordering?!

snykymom
08-19-2011, 09:40 AM
I agree with Chesire - drop the dining plan. That way, if there's nothing in the entrees that someone wants to eat, they might find an appetizer/soup/salad that's acceptable but not on the DP.

While restaurants will often put the sauce on the side if possible, or leave it off entirely, sometimes it's not possible. Sometimes the food is cooked in the sauce (think beef stew - you can't "leave off the sauce"). And sometimes leaving off the sauce makes the food worse - it's been seasoned so that the sauce complements it; without the sauce, it's bland or one flavor is overpowering. I found that happening frequently - I don't like bleu cheese, but if I leave it off a salad entirely, the flavor is just not there. So I keep the cheese on it, which lightly flavors the rest of the dish, but then just don't eat the cheese itself.

sukhakuli
08-19-2011, 09:41 AM
We're a family of picky eaters. I have noticed that most places are fine with making minor changes, like leaving off sauces and stuff. Like, some of the meals will have a steak that dh will eat, but some sort of truffle sauce or butternut squash puree or something that he will not eat. So I will ask for those on the side. Even McDonalds will make a hamburger plain (he won't eat condiments). You should be fine. :) But stay away from places that are exotic, because it is unreasonable to go to like, Jiko or something, and expect plain American food. Although, we ate at Marrakesh, and it was pretty bland, so you will probably be OK there. ;)

snykymom
08-19-2011, 09:42 AM
One more thing - even if they do refund your TS, where would you then use it? ADRs are hard to come by.

DCDisney
08-19-2011, 09:55 AM
It's very easy to get sauces left off and nearly every place does plain grilled chicken for kids meals that they will serve in an adult portion if requested. For allergies they will make sure that the person gets to eat but it may not be comparable to what others have and they will still charge a ddp credit for it. For example at one place I ended up with a kids meal (tiny steak and fries) and no app or dessert because they couldn't work around my allergies and I was still charged a full TS credit. On sides they will always let you substitute fries and usually will let you sub one side for another as long as they have enough. Maybe buffets would work for your group? They all have kids options that anyone can eat that are plain plus lots of fruit, salad, sides, etc.

c3363
08-19-2011, 10:00 AM
Cheshire, I wasn't thinking of it as "intentional misordering." I obviously wouldn't order something I know I won't like. That would be a waste of time for everyone involved.

Most of the time the reason we don't like the food at certain restaurants (not just Disney restaurants) is because of the quality.

An example:
Suppose I order a chicken sandwich and in my first bite I get a huge blob of fat/cartilage in it, only to discover it encompasses half the chicken on the sandwich. That totally ruins the meal for me. I can't eat that sandwich any longer. Now that wasn't due to "how it was prepared" but it is still an inedible meal. I end up not complaining, paying for the meal and then not eating. That doesn't seem right to me.

We are trying to do buffets/family style meals so that if we don't like something, we can get something else.

Whether or not it's Disney, there should be some quality control.

goofyintoronto
08-19-2011, 10:09 AM
We will be going in September and are having a hard time making dining reservations for restaurants with "normal" food. Our group contains several adult picky eaters which do not eat red meat, exotic dishes and one has a severe food allergy. We also don't have park hopper so we are trying to stick to restaurants in downtown or resorts in case our day-to-day park plans change.

I made several reservations in which there is probably only 1-2 dishes that we will choose from. Even these choices have ingredients/sauces that we aren't crazy about. We almost never complain in restaurants, but that often ends up in us not eating anything at all. If we order a meal and then find that we just can't eat it (for the taste) will they refund our table service credit? >>>Definitely not. There was nothing wrong with the meal, you just didnt like it. I dont think they would/should offer a refund in that case. Or will they allow us to modify the choices to eliminate the sauces and substitute some of the sides?>>This is more reasonable. Hold the sauce, etc.

I wasn't thinking of it as "intentional misordering." I obviously wouldn't order something I know I won't like. That would be a waste of time for everyone involved.

Most of the time the reason we don't like the food at certain restaurants (not just Disney restaurants) is because of the quality.

An example:
Suppose I order a chicken sandwich and in my first bite I get a huge blob of fat/cartilage in it, only to discover it encompasses half the chicken on the sandwich. That totally ruins the meal for me. I can't eat that sandwich any longer. Now that wasn't due to "how it was prepared" but it is still an inedible meal. I end up not complaining, paying for the meal and then not eating. That doesn't seem right to me. >>>In a situation like this, if you complained, they would definitely offer to make you a new sandwich. I would make that request. But to refuse a new dish and expect a refund isnt fair.

What about if the quality of food is poor at a buffet? For example, filthy stations, cold food etc. Should we complain? Or are we just expected to deal with it? >>>in a situation like this, if everyone complained because they werent impressed or didnt like the taste, then the restaurant wouldnt make any money at all and everyone would be getting a refund. In a case like this, I would think you would be expected to deal with it. Although cold food is serious and depending on the dish, can definitely make you sick. In this case, i'd be very concerned and complain. But they do check temperatures in the restaurants regularly, so you might be ok there.

I would honestly not do the dining plan if there are several very picky eaters in your group.

rachel09985
08-19-2011, 10:10 AM
Cheshire, I wasn't thinking of it as "intentional misordering." I obviously wouldn't order something I know I won't like. That would be a waste of time for everyone involved.

An example:
Suppose I order a chicken sandwich and in my first bite I get a huge blob of fat/cartilage in it, only to discover it encompasses half the chicken on the sandwich. That totally ruins the meal for me. I can't eat that sandwich any longer. Now that wasn't due to "how it was prepared" but it is still an inedible meal. I end up not complaining, paying for the meal and then not eating. That doesn't seem right to me.

We are trying to do buffets/family style meals so that if we don't like something, we can get something else.

You can complain but I wouldn't expect to get anything out of it. And if the buffet is filthy chances are it just got like that from a child and they are going to be cleaning that. I have never noticed a dirty buffet there. And if you are at a restaurant you should complain if your meal is inedible because a restaurant wants you to leave happy not upset. They will do anything they can to make you happy, at least the restaurants I have worked at.

Someone brought up a good point- what would you do with an extra table service meal?? If you are the only one who didn't like your meal then you would have one extra credit- what would you do with that? Go to breakfast on your own?

You just shouldn't go into restaurants expecting to be dissatisfied because then you will be dissatisfied!

goofyintoronto
08-19-2011, 10:14 AM
You can complain but I wouldn't expect to get anything out of it. And if the buffet is filthy chances are it just got like that from a child and they are going to be cleaning that. I have never noticed a dirty buffet there. And if you are at a restaurant you should complain if your meal is inedible because a restaurant wants you to leave happy not upset. They will do anything they can to make you happy, at least the restaurants I have worked at.

Someone brought up a good point- what would you do with an extra table service meal?? If you are the only one who didn't like your meal then you would have one extra credit- what would you do with that? Go to breakfast on your own?

You just shouldn't go into restaurants expecting to be dissatisfied because then you will be dissatisfied!

Very good points here! As I said, I wouldnt even bother with a dining plan in a situation like this.

smitch425
08-19-2011, 10:19 AM
A saying my son's preschool teacher used comes to mind when reading this thread...

"You get what you get and you don't throw a fit":rotfl:

All kidding aside, when you go to a restaurant in your local area, for example, Applebee's, do you ask them if you can have a replacement entree if you do not care for what your originally ordered? My guess is "no". You take a gamble with trying new things, but it will not be Disney's fault if you don't like your meal. If you are really THAT worried about it, I would get rid of the dining plan. Something else you could do would be for a couple of people to decide on two things they might like to try together and then split them up. That way you have more options than just your one individual meal. Good luck with your planning.:thumbsup2

MHSweb79
08-19-2011, 10:21 AM
There seems to be a couple of questions here:

1. Should you complain about food that's poor quality, like a chicken cutlet or piece of steak that's mostly fat or cartilege? Yes - it's OK to send it back and request a new one.

2. Should you send back a dish because you don't like the preparation, flavoring, spices, side dishes? No - you ordered it, it's not up to the restaurant to keep serving you dishes until you find one you like.

Disney is really quite good for picky eaters. They'll modify anything they can for you, such as no sauce or sauce on the side, or leaving of seasonings if possible.

minnie mum
08-19-2011, 10:22 AM
Some very good advice from the PPs. Make sure all of your ADRs note the food allergies of the particular guest. Ask for dishes to be served plain. Ask for substitutions where necessary. Be prepared that in some cases your requests cannot be met.

Read the menus for each restaurant carefully. It is futile and unnecessarily frustrating (for you and the restaurant staff) to try to eat at a place where the menu can't meet your group's requirements. I would never expect any restaurant anywhere to refund my money or table credit simply because I didn't care for the taste of my meal. If something is improperly prepared or the food is 'bad', then you have grounds for complaint.

If you really want the DDP, then I agree with the PP who recommended sticking with the buffets. Plenty of options at these for even the most unadventurous and restrictive of palates. And on the dining plan the higher cost of these meals won't be a factor. These buffets, unlike some that you have apparently eaten at, serve hot food hot and cold food cold. They are not dirty and quality control is evident. I'm really not sure what you mean by the 'quality of the food' at the buffet. Is it at the level of 'haute cuisine'? Of course not. Why would you expect it to be? They are not signature restaurants. They are your average (or slightly better, depending on the restaurant) places providing a wide range of properly prepared foods from which you can select. Honestly, if you and your group can't be satisfied with the offerings at a buffet, then perhaps you should consider staying at a villa that has full kitchen facilities so you can prepare meals that will make you happy. Good luck with your ADRs.

OrangeCountyCommuter
08-19-2011, 10:24 AM
I get the feeling that OP and thier family are going to have issues.

If you go expecting "issues" it's self fufilling. You are basically looking for things to be wrong.

Disney is not "fine dining" it's "basic food" (Overpriced IMHO, but...:) )

I am not sure that not getting DDP is going to help.

TDC Nala
08-19-2011, 10:25 AM
It sounds to me like your family is too picky to make proper use of the dining plan. If it were just the allergy it will be fine - but there is a huge selection of restaurants at Walt Disney World, many of which are neither exotic nor unusual, and you have already stated that you believe very few of them serve food your party will eat. If it's not just a case of leaving off the sauces and the majority of your group are extremely particular about how your food is prepared, I don't recommend experimenting around WDW restaurants on the dining plan.

If the meal is inedible and of bad quality, by all means complain...but if it is just not to your taste, I don't know what you can do.

If they do refund your dining credit, you will have to find another restaurant where you can use it.

If you are extremely picky about food quality (meaning, you are looking for something gourmet-type or something you might find at a signature restaurant) I can't even really recommend the buffets, but they may be your best bet as far as selection.

DCDisney
08-19-2011, 10:32 AM
One other point to consider is that most menus change a bit each season. September is usually when the Fall changes occur. Planning on going to a restaurant based on just 1 or 2 menu possibilities is dangerous since they may well change. There will always be fish, chicken, beef, pork, pasta at each place but the change in flavoring and preparation can be substantial.

robinb
08-19-2011, 10:52 AM
First of all, it is perfectly OK to order something "plainer" with no sauce or a substitute side. Your server and the chef will work with you to provide a meal that your family will eat. Make sure to tip them well for the extra effort!

Secondly, it is perfectly OK to send back a meal that is (1) poor quality, (2) incorrectly prepared or (3) inedible. However ...

I made several reservations in which there is probably only 1-2 dishes that we will choose from. Even these choices have ingredients/sauces that we aren't crazy about. We almost never complain in restaurants, but that often ends up in us not eating anything at all. If we order a meal and then find that we just can't eat it (for the taste) will they refund our table service credit? Or will they allow us to modify the choices to eliminate the sauces and substitute some of the sides?YOU need to take charge of your restaurant experience. Don't be afraid to order what you want and what you will eat. If you just order what you think will be "close enough" then you will be bound to be disappointed in some way.

c3363
08-19-2011, 11:03 AM
No one in our group is going to order something unusual. We are sticking to the options we know we generally like. Trying something new is not on anyone's agenda in our group. Our concern is the quality of the unfamiliar restaurants we are going to.

We are staying on property and will not be leaving the property. As far as I know, whether or not we have the dining plan makes no difference in terms of getting a reservation. Many of Disney restaurants we love. Unfortunately, we only got one of our favorites 1 time out of 6. The other five (that we were able to get ADR's for) are new to us.

Like I said, we DON'T complain to the waitress. We end up not eating the meal, paying in full and of course, tipping. This doesn't happen often, but it DOES happen, especially with poultry dishes. This is why we don't eat at McDonalds which is notorious for "slugs" in the chicken.

As for what happens at a chain restaurant like Applebees, it has been my experience that the waiters often ask if everything was okay and offer at least a partial refund when they notice you didn't eat much of your meal. If it was really bad, (fatty, cold, tough etc.) sometimes we accept. If it was a taste issue, we don't.

I do think that it is acceptable to complain about the quality, service and cleanliness in a restaurant. Suppose you purchase a new camera and it doesn't work when you take it out of the box. Would you return it? Expect a refund? Or just deal with it? What if you purchase a swimsuit online and it arrives filthy? Would you keep it?

nanni
08-19-2011, 11:07 AM
I have never had a bad quality meal at Disney. I've had some things that weren't my favorite, but I think the food is pretty high quality. It's not gourmet restaurant or anything, but it's defintely better than a lot of the chain restaurants I know. If there is a problem with a particularly tendony piece of chicken or something, let them know. If there's a big mess, let them know.

It seems like you are going into this expecting to have problems, which probably means you will find problems.

TDC Nala
08-19-2011, 11:10 AM
Our concern is the quality of the unfamiliar restaurants we are going to.

If you're worried because you are more comfortable eating at familiar restaurants, I am suggesting going without the dining plan again. WDW doesn't have a lot of chain restaurants of the kind you might have at home, and where they do they are small and not generally nationwide chains; and a number of the chain places like the Rainforest Cafe don't take DDP. I agree, you are anticipating that you will have problems because your group is stepping out of its comfort zone.

If you're getting free dining, not much you can do about that. And they're saying you need an ADR because if you are paying for the dining plan, when you leave dining credits unused you are essentially giving Disney money for food you never ate. And sometimes if you don't have a reservation, you can't get into a TS restaurant to use your dining credits.

Go to the TS restaurants you have chosen, ask if you can order in the style you want, if you want plain food without unfamiliar sauces or seasonings. And that is all you can do. If you are doing lots of buffets you may want to keep the dining plan and be sure you have reservations for the buffets.

ChefMickey123
08-19-2011, 11:10 AM
If there is one place on the earth where they would accomodate your tastes, it is Disney.

With that said, ditch the dining plan. Order only what you want. Discuss the food allergy with every restaurant WAY IN ADVANCE.

Being on the other side (the kitchen side), it is sometimes hurtful to everyone involved, when food comes back to the kitchen, especially when the food is cooked properly and is of a good quality & there is nothing wrong with it. It hurts everyone financially-from the other guests to the waiters, cooks, shareholders and performers. It drives the price up when there is waste.

People work hard in the Disney Restaurants to do what they can to make your vacation the best possible given their circumstances. They are better than I ever tried to be as a chef.

With that said, we have precious little time on this earth. Disney is a place where you can try a bit of what many parts of it & its people have to offer. Take a risk, try something new, even just once on your trip. You might just like it. If you don't, oh well, there is always the next meal. Have a fun time on your trip.:)

DianeW
08-19-2011, 11:14 AM
No one in our group is going to order something unusual. We are sticking to the options we know we generally like. Trying something new is not on anyone's agenda in our group. Our concern is the quality of the unfamiliar restaurants we are going to.

We are staying on property and will not be leaving the property. As far as I know, whether or not we have the dining plan makes no difference in terms of getting a reservation. Many of Disney restaurants we love. Unfortunately, we only got one of our favorites 1 time out of 6. The other five (that we were able to get ADR's for) are new to us.

What are the new restaurants you'll be visiting? I'm sure you could get some opinions on the entrees there. We have been to Disney many times and are a family of adventurous eaters, so I know we've tried a bunch of different stuff.

ReneeA
08-19-2011, 11:15 AM

We are staying on property and will not be leaving the property. Whether or not we have the dining plan makes no difference in terms of getting a reservation.

Like I said, we DON'T complain to the waitress. We end up not eating the meal, paying in full and of course, tipping. This doesn't happen often, but it DOES happen, especially with poultry dishes. This is why we don't eat at McDonalds which is notorious for "slugs" in the chicken.

I do think that it is acceptable to complain about the quality, service and cleanliness in a restaurant. Suppose you purchase a new camera and it doesn't work when you take it out of the box. Would you return it? Expect a refund? Or just deal with it? What if you purchase a swimsuit online and it arrives filthy? Would you keep it?

Have you ever been to Disney? Eaten in their sit down restaurants?

We have stayed on site with the dining plan for 50+ days in the past 5 years. We have NEVER had an inedible meal with poor quality ingredients. We have (very rarely) gotten a meal that doesn't agree with someone's taste buds. In which case, we normally swap things around and share food. However, we are pretty adventurous eaters - that doesn't mean we are willing to eat poor quality foods, but we are willing to try new things.

Keep an open mind. Every restaurant we've eaten in are great at customizing meals (leaving sauces off, swapping one side for another - like fries for mashed potatoes, etc). You really will be fine unless you go into it with a bad attitude...that'll ruin every experience every time.

c3363
08-19-2011, 11:38 AM
Yes, all of us have been to Disney many, many times. We always have stuck with our favorite restaurants. This was a short notice trip so we weren't able to get our favorites.

We have had bad experiences with Disney Dining. One was at Chef Mickey's. It was also "new" to us. The food was cold, the floor was covered in food, we only saw the waiter one time, kids were dropping the serving utensils on the floor and putting them back in the food (we notified the buffet attendant about this and they just replaced the spoon not the dish that was now full of floor germs). Who wants to eat that now? I don't think that is an overly "picky" attitude. I can honestly say in the 1.5 hours we were there, no attempt was made to clean any of the stations, the floor etc. The ice cream machine was overflowing so much on the tray that you couldn't even get a dish under it. This was during "value" season.

We love Disney, and enjoy eating out there. We don't have a "bad attitude." However, it is unrealistic to expect guests to eat food that is not up to par or completely unsanitary as in the above example.

One of the restaurants we had booked was Cap'n Jacks. After reading the online reviews of numerous cases of people getting sick and alleged food poisoning from the crab cakes plus the 80% do not recommend rating, we cancelled it. That is an example of quality that is not acceptable in my opinion. Those people who were getting sick from the food had every right to complain. It doesn't matter if it is Disney or a national chain.

Hopefully everything will go well and we won't have any really bad food. One of the places I'm concerned with is Raglan Road. It has good reviews, so hopefully it will be good.

DCDisney
08-19-2011, 12:30 PM
It's very easy to get sauces left off and nearly every place does plain grilled chicken for kids meals that they will serve in an adult portion if requested. For allergies they will make sure that the person gets to eat but it may not be comparable to what others have and they will still charge a ddp credit for it. For example at one place I ended up with a kids meal (tiny steak and fries) and no app or dessert because they couldn't work around my allergies and I was still charged a full TS credit. On sides they will always let you substitute fries and usually will let you sub one side for another as long as they have enough. Maybe buffets would work for your group? They all have kids options that anyone can eat that are plain plus lots of fruit, salad, sides, etc.

minnie mum
08-19-2011, 12:52 PM
OP: I completely understand your revulsion after the experience at Chef Mickeys. But I have heard this same complaint repeatedly about CM dinner buffets. This is why we would never get an ADR there in the first place. Same with Capn Jack's.

I always try to take restaurant reviews with a large grain of salt. However, when any restaurant consistently, and repeatedly gets unfavourable reviews regarding poor quality or uncleanliness, then you would be foolhardy to eat there. (JMHO). You obviously learned this lesson well, if too late in your first example.

By all means, do whatever research you deem necessary in selecting your ADRs. But don't tar them all with the same brush as Chef Mickey. Good for you that in the past you have been able to find a couple of restaurants that meet your exacting standards. Trust me, there are still a couple more out there that you havent tried yet. There is no reason to go expecting the worst: if you do, you will undoubtedly find it.

bumbershoot
08-19-2011, 02:47 PM
YOU need to take charge of your restaurant experience. Don't be afraid to order what you want and what you will eat. If you just order what you think will be "close enough" then you will be bound to be disappointed in some way.

YES! Channel your Inner Sally (from When Harry Met Sally) and order the food you want, how you want it. My sis in law is really picky, and orders food exactly how she wants it, and in that way gets just what she wants. When it's done right, she is verbally appreciative to the server, and she tips extra nicely. Everyone ends up happy.

With that said, ditch the dining plan. Order only what you want. Discuss the food allergy with every restaurant WAY IN ADVANCE.

I agree!

csmommy
08-19-2011, 02:56 PM
Just don't go to the Grand Floridian Cafe. Not sure if it was our server Bob, or just the restaurant, but anything we asked for, like french fries instead of the tomato salad with the Grand Floridian burger was a no, or smoothies as our drink (which EVERY restaurant did except GFC) a sigh & a "I will see if I can pull some strings."

Hopefully
08-19-2011, 03:00 PM
I too, think you should get rid of the dining plan and pay OOP for what pleases you. Since members of your group are very picky, and you are approaching this expecting the worse, I think you should leave yourselves more flexibility.
I agree that if food is of poor quality you have the right to complain.
But I do not agree with your position that if you do not like it you should be somehow compensated.
When I eat out in the real world, not Disney, if I order something I don't like I chalk it up to a learning experience. I do not expect to be compensated. I could clearly read the menu description and I chose to order it. Not the restaurants fault. If I know a restuarant is too "fancy" for me, I don't go. I am a pretty plain eater, and I have been happy in a wide variety of Disney restaurants. Were all perfect, No. But again, I knew what I was getting into and chose to go.

OrangeCountyCommuter
08-19-2011, 03:28 PM
Read the menus for each restaurant carefully. It is futile and unnecessarily frustrating (for you and the restaurant staff) to try to eat at a place where the menu can't meet your group's requirements. I would never expect any restaurant anywhere to refund my money or table credit simply because I didn't care for the taste of my meal. If something is improperly prepared or the food is 'bad', then you have grounds for complaint.
s.

This reminds me of a woman I once saw at the CS place in the Mexico Pavilion at Epcot.

"I want an order of french frys for my son"

(Host) "I am sorry we don't have french frys"

"Then he will take plain fried potatos"

(Host) "I am sorry we don't have potato"

She then starts back over at "French fries"

This goes on for quite a while and at some point she becomes rather "hysterical" because "My son only eats French frys" A manager is summoned. He explains to her that they are not trying to be difficult, but.... they don't have the ingredients to make what she wants.

She is ranting and raving by now. Son is in total meltdown and the entire seating area is being entertained by this dramatic show. (Manager had realized this was the "lunch time entertainment" and really attempted to move this show out of the way but mother was having nothing to do with that. She was going to stand right there in the middle of the action and have her fit! LOL! )

She finally wheels the kid in the stroller out of there (without the french frys!)

I never really understood why she thought this would work.

Bellefan22
08-19-2011, 03:47 PM
Disney is really quite good for picky eaters. They'll modify anything they can for you, such as no sauce or sauce on the side, or leaving of seasonings if possible.

I have a family member with severe food allergies, and not only did the chef come to the table, he prepared a special, off-the-menu dish. Considering the thousands of people that Disney serves each year, I think they are successful more often than not. Disney will accommodate you, but be realistic in your expectations. :wizard:

robinb
08-19-2011, 03:47 PM
I do think that it is acceptable to complain about the quality, service and cleanliness in a restaurant. Suppose you purchase a new camera and it doesn't work when you take it out of the box. Would you return it? Expect a refund? Or just deal with it? What if you purchase a swimsuit online and it arrives filthy? Would you keep it?I don't think that anyone here disagrees with you on that point.

FWIW, I am a very adventurous eater and I "returned" a meal the last time I ate at Applebees. The server came by and asked how things were and I told him the meal was terrible. It was a "special" item and the flavor was simply nasty. I would not eat it (and I can and do eat just about anything!) so I ordered something else instead.

rachel09985
08-19-2011, 03:58 PM

As for what happens at a chain restaurant like Applebees, it has been my experience that the waiters often ask if everything was okay and offer at least a partial refund when they notice you didn't eat much of your meal. If it was really bad, (fatty, cold, tough etc.) sometimes we accept. If it was a taste issue, we don't.

You should complain if you don't like something. you deserve to eat something that you like if you aren't happy! But I don't think Disney is a typical "restaurant" I think they will try to make you happy before they comp your meal. If you aren't happy then you need to let the manager know. I just wouldn't get upset if they don't comp your food.

madczar
08-19-2011, 04:00 PM
Simply commenting on the notion that you can/can't send back a meal you don't like.

Having worked in the food industry, and as an avid dining guest in many different types of restaurants, OF COURSE you should send something back you don't like.

Dining in a restaurant is a strange hybrid of product and service. If you bought a dvd player and opened the box and it was defective, you take it back. Service is different, in that often poor service cannot be fixed.

Your waiter, the dining experience, and the theme of the food, etc, is the service. The food itself is the product.

Obviously, if you are an jerk and order something you know you won't like just to take it back, well, you are still a jerk, but the restaurant should honor your request and bring you what you want. That would be good service. You are spending money. However, if the restaurant decides you are trouble, and boots you for your bad behavior, then that too is a service (to the other customers! :)

Seriously, if you order something and don't like it, from McDonald's to The French Laundry, then say something, be polite, explain the issue, and any good server/restaurant will fix the problem.

But to the OP, definitely follow everyones advice and call Disney about the eating issues of the members in the party if you insist on going with the dining plan, or even if you have an ADR and aren't on the dining plan. Disney will generally fix the problem or come up with a new solution, no matter where you are.

Just my $.02.

Euphoria027
08-19-2011, 04:01 PM

I eat in restaurants fairly regularly and have never had 'slugs' in my chicken or a dish that was so fatty/cold/tough that I couldn't eat it, yet this sounds like a fairly regular occurrence for you! You must just have really terrible luck!

WantToGoNow
08-19-2011, 06:01 PM
If there's something wrong with the meal, then by all means speak up and have it fixed. If you don't know if you will like something or suspect that you won't, then I wouldn't order that in the first place. Disney restaurants will serve your meals without any sauces, etc. that you ask to have left off.

Now last trip we were at Kona - there were 11 of us - 5 adults and 6 kids. My dd5 ordered the Mickey ravioli and did not like it. We didn't say a word about it but the waiter noticed that she wasn't eating and asked if she would like something else. He brought her out chicken strips instead at no charge. I didn't expect this at all and it was great that he noticed and offered. I would have just gotten her something else later on if she needed it but since she had eaten her appetizer and I knew she would eat the ice cream, I wasn't worried. Now my oldest dd will only eat steak well done - Le Cellier could not get it well done for her - it was sent back to the kitchen 3 times and still came out various shades of red/pink. After the 3rd time, she was asked if she would like something else but she declined because everyone else was done eating by that point.

tinkerbellybutton
08-19-2011, 07:34 PM
Just don't go to the Grand Floridian Cafe. Not sure if it was our server Bob, or just the restaurant, but anything we asked for, like french fries instead of the tomato salad with the Grand Floridian burger was a no, or smoothies as our drink (which EVERY restaurant did except GFC) a sigh & a "I will see if I can pull some strings."

Oh wow, must have been your server. We've only dined at GFC once, but our server was very accomodating to anything we requested. He would have bent over backwards to please us it seemed. We really felt "taken care of" and it was one of the best examples of excellent customer service we've had in WDW.

si-am
08-19-2011, 07:47 PM
The answer to this situation is a buffet. Take a bite of something and hate it? Go try something else.

A counter service or a la carte table service is NOT the place to take a bite of an entree and then ask for another dish if you're too picky to eat it. I've certainly had dishes that just weren't my favorite, but instead of demanding a refund, I just shrug it off and remember not to order it again.

Now, if it's a true quality issue, that's different.

c3363
08-20-2011, 12:33 AM
It is 100% a quality issue. No one is planning on ordering something from any menu that they haven't had before and then complaining about it. Why would we do that? If we know we won't like something it would be pointless to order it in the first place. :confused3 My "don't like the meal" comment refers to the quality.

If we have another experience like the one at Chef Mickey's, we will be complaining. I don't know about other people, but I don't feel I should have to pay for food that has been contaminated by a utensil from the floor (especially after the staff was notified and did not correct the problem). I feel like this is an instance where guests should be compensated by getting their meal credit back to use somewhere else. Nearly every restaurant has some bad reviews. Chef Mickey had a 4 star rating and number 98 out of 900+ Orlando restaurants. We had no reason to expect the issues we had there.

As for sending food back, I'm hoping we won't need to send any meals back. If they will take the unusual sauces off that will be fine. Many people I know avoid chicken from certain restaurants for the "slug" issue. I literally have never had a chicken sandwich from McDonalds which wasn't largely fat and cartilage.

Sugardimples
08-20-2011, 03:47 AM
I have never heard of this slug issue.

ElizabethB
08-20-2011, 05:45 AM
From experience I can tell you that if you don't like something, Disney will bring you something else. And, there is plenty of poor quality food being dished up at Disney.

So, relax and enjoy. If you order something and you really don't like it, or it's poor quality, send it back and ask for something else. You will be accommodated. Of course, there are limitations on this. Where the menu is a set meal, e.g., CRT, you don't have much choice but to suffer through some of it, though you could change entrees. A place like 'Ohana . . . well, it's all poor quality, so changing from the chicken to the beef just won't help. But, in most table service places, Disney will bring you a different entree if you really don't like your first choice.

Additionally, poor quality, I have found, is a particular problem during free dining as restaurants substitute cheaper things for regular menu items. Chefs de France, which usually has a pretty good steak, served something to me during free dining that bore no relation to steak -- or even beef.

TDC Nala
08-20-2011, 06:02 AM
OK, the OP has clarified that they are not first time visitors (it sure sounded like they were first time visitors) but they've booked a last minute trip on the dining plan and can't get a reservation at their favorites, so they've had to book restaurants they've never been to before, don't like the menus at some of them, and want to know their options if they don't like the food.

If it's a matter of you just don't like it, I don't think there is much you can do but chalk it up to "don't try this restaurant again." And yes, it's possible to order it the way you want it - although service at WDW restaurants is so erratic you can't say what happens at one restaurant will happen for sure at another. You can also just say what you ordered is not to your taste and ask if you can have something else. (And I do think we were thrown off by the "what if we don't like the meal" question, because that seems to indicate what if you just don't like it, not what if there is something fundamentally wrong with the food itself.)

If there is something wrong with the food, send it back and ask for something else.

I'm afraid I can't recall being in a WDW restaurant where a server took initiative and asked what was wrong if you didn't eat your meal. If you're waiting for that, you might be disappointed. Some might, but some might not. It might be up to you to say something. Since the OP states their party sometimes leaves restaurants having not eaten anything, I am assuming they don't want to be the ones to say something.

If it's so bad you can't eat it, tell them you want your dining credits back.

I can't say I have ever heard anything about slugs in chicken either.

Tara922c
08-20-2011, 07:23 AM
My rule is "if you don't know if you're going to like it, don't order it". I will only send something back if it isn't cooked how I ordered it, or it is bad. (bad as in my chicken was undercooked, or the tomatoes tasted spoiled). Disney is pretty accomodating, and will make dishes how you like them. Don't know if you're going to like a sauce? Simply ask for it on the side. As far as food allergies go, Disney is the best. I am allergic to shellfish, and the chiefs where all very accomidating.

How about scheduling meals at buffets? There is more to choose from, and if you don't like somthing, you can always go back to the buffet. I am sure if you ordered something, and didn't like it, Disney would make you something else, and take the first entree off the bill, but if you are a picky eater, you should just order what you know you are going to like, or at least be able to tolerate.

Mrsjvb
08-20-2011, 01:31 PM
Issue one: you seem to be hung up on 'quality'. define quality. what you may consider an inedible hunk of dead poultry, another person may find perfectly acceptable, gristle or no( I actually DO get this reference.. preformed chiken patties are notorious for this stuff..and so are Mc Nuggets. ) however if I go to micky D's or chik fila or a similar style/type restaurant.. I EXPECT that level of quality and adjust my taste buds accordingly( and stock up on sweet n sour sauce). pre formed patties at V&A? yeah, not so much. my expectations of the quality level are higher here

Issue 2: taste: again define taste. I personally and honestly cannot fathom the 'picky' eater who only wants plain steamed broccoli, french fries and a grilled chicken. I make THAT at home when I am trying to pretend I am eating healthy. when I am out and about my goal is to try the new sauces and spices and ingredient combinations. Pizza at WDW? ewwww.. and not because of any preconceived notions on taste or quality.. but b/c I eat that at home. I feel sorry for anyone who refuses to step out of their comfort zone and try something new. I never would have discovered the joy that is tako yaki if I were dull and boring. (natto on the other hand.. blech. not glad I tried that .

I WILL go out of my way to hit an In n Out or a White Castle.. but only b/c I have none close by any more *le Sigh*

and yes there have been times I was underwhelmed by the food choice.. I admit it..I DO NOT like the Mac n cheese at Jiko. there. I said it. didn't finish it off my plate. (more room for desert ) first time, I didn't demand a new side dish just cause I thought it was nasty tasting( it was cooked perfectly fine, DH ate his and mine with no complaints) nor did I expect a discount because I didn't eat half my plate. ever since then, I don't get it. ( I actually seldom order the steak anyway, I much prefer their game dishes)

Frankly I think you are setting yourself up for disappointment and are overthinking things. and I agree, drop the DP altogether. you'd probably be better off with other options.

coconutprincess
08-20-2011, 02:01 PM
I'm a picky eater who consides myself a food and service snob in that I expect high quality. If I see fat, I eat around it. Stuff my inlaws eat, I wouldn't touch. Disney always alters dishes for me.

The ONLY place I won't return is Electric Umbrella for a CS as the food was too salty. There's been a few TS places that havent wowed me. But my food was decent, and we went back the next year, in some cases.

I'm don't want the OP to feel attacked at all.... but relax, and enjoy your vacation. You are already starting off with low expectations, so that is what you are going to expect to see.

c3363
08-20-2011, 03:17 PM
Well how I see it, I'd rather have low expectations and be happily suprised than have high expectations and be constantly disappointed. We love disney and always have a great time eating there except for a few instances where the restaurants were new to us.

I just wanted to see if they would remove the unusual sauces at non-buffet restaurants. As many have said, they will. I do not want to order something which I know I will not like which is why I will request that the sauces be removed. As for the quality, I don't think that expecting a decent cut of chicken for a sandwich or food that is not being served with germ infested utensils from the floor is being extremely picky. Yes, we like our food plain. Why should we be judged for that?

For those of you who think that I am expecting too much, what would you have done after witnessing the Chef Mickey incident and notifying the buffet attendent? Would you have continued to eat the food and/or pay out of pocket or with a meal credit for a meal that you were not comfortable eating for sanitary reasons? Keep in mind that the incident occurs as soon as you bring your first plate up to the stations. You have not yet eaten anything.

It is these types of situations that I feel are unacceptable on every level. I do not feel it is unreasonable to receive a refund for quality issues that cannot be corrected (by a new cut of meat, etc.). I certainly don't want to be one of the reviews that are reporting food poisoning because I was too quiet to speak up when quality was unacceptable.

DianeW
08-20-2011, 04:06 PM
Well how I see it, I'd rather have low expectations and be happily suprised than have high expectations and be constantly disappointed. We love disney and always have a great time eating there except for a few instances where the restaurants were new to us.

I just wanted to see if they would remove the unusual sauces at non-buffet restaurants. As many have said, they will. I do not want to order something which I know I will not like which is why I will request that the sauces be removed. As for the quality, I don't think that expecting a decent cut of chicken for a sandwich or food that is not being served with germ infested utensils from the floor is being extremely picky. Yes, we like our food plain. Why should we be judged for that?

For those of you who think that I am expecting too much, what would you have done after witnessing the Chef Mickey incident and notifying the buffet attendent? Would you have continued to eat the food and/or pay out of pocket or with a meal credit for a meal that you were not comfortable eating for sanitary reasons? Keep in mind that the incident occurs as soon as you bring your first plate up to the stations. You have not yet eaten anything.

It is these types of situations that I feel are unacceptable on every level. I do not feel it is unreasonable to receive a refund for quality issues that cannot be corrected (by a new cut of meat, etc.). I certainly don't want to be one of the reviews that are reporting food poisoning because I was too quiet to speak up when quality was unacceptable.

Well, honestly, the Chef Mickey thing really wouldn't have bothered me. I have kids and know how they are. I truly expect that at a buffet where there are probably many more children than adults attending....stuff like that is going to happen. And most likely does. Frequently. Having said that....I'm pretty laid back and not at all "heebee-geebee-ish" about my food. I do understand that some folks are and I hope that Disney will be very accomodating to your preferences. I have a shellfish allergy and generally avoid all seafood in case my salmon might have been placed on the same cutting board or in the same pan as some shellfish.

Which restaurants are you planning on attending? I'm sure you could get some opinions on quality in general that might help you in the decision making process.

TDC Nala
08-20-2011, 04:13 PM
I don't mess with Chef Mickey's. But I guess I would have left.

Really, I think a lot of the stuff on this thread came from the title which said "What if you don't like the meal" and then the question was if you can get your dining credits refunded if you have an issue with the food being prepared incorrectly or being otherwise completely unacceptable, not just can you get them refunded if you ordered something that isn't to your taste. I'm not sure what you will be able to do if they serve you the plain chicken you asked for and you just don't like it (as opposed to it isn't cooked through or something like that). Reading your original post I wasn't sure how difficult it might be to please you, but plain, unsauced food can be done.

If the meal isn't edible, or something happens like happened at Chef Mickey's, then see the manager and let them know why you do not want to eat there and you don't expect to be charged a credit.

crostorfer
08-20-2011, 04:26 PM
Ditch the DDP, keep your one favorite choice for a TS meal, and eat counter service. It just sounds like you will be happier that way. If it is a food quality issue, that is one thing, but if you order something unfamiliar and you don't like it that isn't grounds for a refund. The examples that the OP has thrown out are very extreme. Obviously is your seafood is bad or your chicken is all fat and ligament, send it back. If you don't like the garlic taste to the garlic mashed potatoes, that is an entirely different situation.

And no, being on the DDP doesn't effect your ability to get an ADR, but what people are getting at is that if you demand your TS credit back, where else are you going to eat when most of the good places aren't going to allow for walk in's because they are booked. A reservation slot at another place isn't going to magically open up for you just because you now have an extra TS credit to spare. Disney will go out of their way to make you happy, but even they have limits.

MartDM
08-20-2011, 04:37 PM
Honestly OP, I cannot understand why you are working so hard to make the Dining Plan work for you. :confused3

You and your group, from your descriptions, clearly have very non-adventurous and unsophisticated palates, and you seem to be so fixated on what a disaster it's going to be (dirty buffets, poor quality food, people getting sick...none of which anyone I know has experienced in the innumerable trips we've all taken), I think you are creating a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Why try to fit a square peg in a round hole? Stick to counter service where the food is rather basic and plain, then you don't have to worry about the table service restaurants accomodating the huge amount of varied requirements you all have. That way neither you or the table service staffs need to be stressed out and everyone in your group can easily find something that suits their particular brand of pickiness.

Aunt Bee
08-20-2011, 04:45 PM
C3363, since you are the one who is paying for the food, you are entitled, within reason, to be able to have food that you can eat. BUT, it's your responsiblity to do the leg work in advance to work out the details. Being proactive is better than being disappointed or wondering "what will happen..." or sitting there not eating and being afraid to speak up.

Since you can't get ADR's in any "normal" restaurants, then you should study evey single item on the menu of the restaurants you've chosen in advance, narrow the items on the menu down to one or two, decide ahead of time which ones you want to order and what changes will have to be made to suit your tastes/allergies, etc., and then phone the restaurants directly before leaving home and ask if the chef can accomodate your needs.

The chef may be willing to go to great lengths to please you, or he may think you're whacky and tell you to visit someone else's resatuarnt and please leave his alone.

My guess is that the response will be somewhere inbetween and you'll have to live with it or not eat at that restaurant. The more in advance you do this, the better.

There are some things you won't be able to control; the quality of the food (i.e., no gristle, fat, etc); the composition of a complex dish or sauce; the menu offerings, i.e., ordering grilled fish if fish isn't on the menu.

You also cannot control the cleanliness of the kitchen or whether or not the waiter washed his hands after using the restroom (let's ALL hope he did), or the price.

After you've done everything you can do on your end, you will just have to wait and see how it all turns out. There are no guarantees that you will "love" your meal. However, just leaving everything to chance or walking in and trying to make detailed changes without advance notice is unreasonable and most likely you WILL be disappointed, especially if you are a picky eater.

About a month ago, I phoned Teppan Edo and talked to one of the chef's about a celebration we're having there. It was a positive experience. Don't call when they are busy. You may have to phone and schedule a time to talk to someone who can help, but you will be able to talk to someone.

Enjoy your trip and good luck with your food. If all else fails, order salad, dressing on the side. ;)

Aunt Bee

Mrsjvb
08-20-2011, 05:24 PM
WRT the chef mickey thing..
sorry but no the fact that the spoon rest wasn't immediately hosed down with bleach after having a dropped utensil placed in it doesn't squick me out. Floor germs?! seriously? my kitchen floor is worse than anything at WDW as IT only gets washed every 2 weeks by the hired help. and I have cats that plop allover it getting in my way as I cook. haven't died of botulism yet....

I think some of your expectations are highly unrealistic and tad bit snobbish. the general consensus has been.. improperly prepared food.. fine, send it back.. but when you came in spouting off how your want to get full refunds just because you didn't like the taste of something?! sorry, over the line and rather elitist/entitlement minded.

how are you ever going to expand your horizons if you won't even TRY something new? the Unbreakable laws in my family: take all you want, eat all you take and the biggie: you must take three FULL bites of something and chew/.swallow.. before you are allowed to say you do not like it. ESPECIALLY if you are paying for the DP.. seems to me a helluva waste of money to insist on plain unsauced stuff everywhere you go

GOOFY4DONALD
08-20-2011, 08:27 PM
I have 2 kids that are Disney adults. They are not that picky of eaters but they refused to eat root vegtable mash at PT, rissoto or any kind of red wine reduction. Never did we have a problem leaving sauces off or simply changing one side for another. Since WDW considers 10yo an adult I am sure they are pros at picky eaters.

no capes darling
08-20-2011, 08:28 PM

Maybe they should have a picky eaters restaurant instead of dumbing down the menus elsewhere for those that aren't picky.

bumbershoot
08-20-2011, 08:29 PM
And no, being on the DDP doesn't effect your ability to get an ADR, but what people are getting at is that if you demand your TS credit back, where else are you going to eat when most of the good places aren't going to allow for walk in's because they are booked. A reservation slot at another place isn't going to magically open up for you just because you now have an extra TS credit to spare.

Exactly! This is why the plan just doesn't seem to be right for you. If you aren't on the plan, and you see an appetizer or a salad that looks tasty, you can order THAT, instead of having to order an entree that doesn't suit you. If you aren't on the plan, and they agree to not charge you if your appetite has been ruined, you have money for when your appetite comes back later, when you can go grab a quick and simple burger, or, if you were to choose to change plans, perhaps go off site somewhere (we loved Sweet Tomatoes).

Getting your credit refunded does *nothing* if there's no other TS available, and if the CMs don't opt to change your TS into a CS credit.

ESPECIALLY if you are paying for the DP..

Are they? Oh that makes it worse. I thought they were getting "free dining" and that's why they were keeping it.

Well how I see it, I'd rather have low expectations and be happily suprised than have high expectations and be constantly disappointed.

It just doesn't tend to go that way with vacations. We tend to bring expectations in and smother reality with them, instead of allowing ourselves to really experience it.

I don't understand who you reported it to, but if I'd seen something like this (and I once saw a spoon issue happen and made sure it was taken care of, though not at Disney) I would have told the chefs immediately and watched them as they took the container of food away. I wouldn't have walked away to tell someone else.

And that issue has NOTHING to do with the rest of it! That's a cleanliness problem. Not a taste or quality problem.

I certainly don't want to be one of the reviews that are reporting food poisoning because I was too quiet to speak up when quality was unacceptable.

Right. But you are the one who has stated very clearly that you don't ever tell a server when something's bad. First page, I think it was, that you stated that. And with CM it doesn't seem like you stood there and made sure it was taken care of. No one is suggesting to you that you not speak up.

If we order a meal and then find that we just can't eat it (for the taste) will they refund our table service credit?

It is 100% a quality issue.

Maybe you can understand why there's been some confusion on here?

I still say to dump the dining plan, order EXACTLY what you want, let them know if something's gross, and allow them to help you in the ways the server *can* help you at that time.

c3363
08-20-2011, 09:08 PM
MrsJVB,

That is great that you don't mind eating with utensils that have been on the floor where millions of people have stepped after also walking through public bathrooms etc. We do mind. I don't think that's snobby.

When you are close with someone who has a severe food allergy to several different foods that are commonly used in all types of sauces, seasonings etc. maybe you will understand the rational for some people not wanting to gamble with their lives by trying something new. We always notify in advance. We also make sure to order things that we know won't cause a problem. Thus, not experimenting and risking anaphylaxis.

Is it necessary to personally attack my character because you don't agree with my food choices?

I didn't realize that asking if there is a refund policy for table service credits would be such a hot debate amongst the board. :confused3 Especially since I have never "demanded" a full refund and rarely ever say ANYTHING even when the food is way below standard. As for not being able to use the credit at other restaurants, fine! If the restaurant does not accomodate (as in the Chef Mickey incident) should they still be paid? Like I have said several times, we don't complain and we don't demand refunds. That means we don't eat anything, pay full price or lose a meal on our dining plan. The restaurant gets full compensation, the waitress gets full tip, and we leave starving.

For me, the quality of food affects the taste. If the food is cold, meat is undercooked, chicken is pure fat etc., it doesn't taste good.

I am not an "elitist", "snob", "unsophisticated" or "difficult to please." I find it interesting that people seem to think I have a "bad attitude" yet have no hesitations when throwing out personal attacks.

Jestocost
08-20-2011, 09:40 PM
MrsJVB,

That is great that you don't mind eating with utensils that have been on the floor where millions of people have stepped after also walking through public bathrooms etc. We do mind. I don't think that's snobby.

When you are close with someone who has a severe food allergy to several different foods that are commonly used in all types of sauces, seasonings etc. maybe you will understand the rational for some people not wanting to gamble with their lives by trying something new. We always notify in advance. We also make sure to order things that we know won't cause a problem. Thus, not experimenting and risking anaphylaxis.

Is it necessary to personally attack my character because you don't agree with my food choices?

I didn't realize that asking if there is a refund policy for table service credits would be such a hot debate amongst the board. :confused3 Especially since I have never "demanded" a full refund and rarely ever say ANYTHING even when the food was way below standard. As for not being able to use the credit at other restaurants, fine! If the restaurant does not accomodate (as in the Chef Mickey incident) should they still be paid? Like I have said several times, we don't complain and we don't demand refunds. That means we don't eat anything, pay full price or lose a meal on our dining plan. The restaurant gets full compensation, the waitress gets full tip, and we leave starving.

For me the quality affects the taste of food. If chicken is pure fat, meat is undercooked or food is cold, it doesn't taste good.

It seems like only 100% positive reviews and comments are acceptable.

If things have been as bad as you say in the past I would not consider going back. That would resolve this entire question.

c3363
08-20-2011, 10:12 PM
If things have been as bad as you say in the past I would not consider going back. That would resolve this entire question.

Like I've said, we've gone to WDW many times and have been happy with our meals 95% of the time. We aren't unhappy at every meal and we have never asked for a refund. The 5% of the time that we were unhappy was due to food being served in unsanitary conditions, food being cold, undercooked, bad cuts of meat etc. This wouldn't be acceptable at any restaurant. I don't think Disney should be exempt.

handinpocket
08-20-2011, 10:14 PM
honestly op, i cannot understand why you are working so hard to make the dining plan work for you. :confused3

you and your group, from your descriptions, clearly have very non-adventurous and unsophisticated palates, and you seem to be so fixated on what a disaster it's going to be (dirty buffets, poor quality food, people getting sick...none of which anyone i know has experienced in the innumerable trips we've all taken), i think you are creating a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Why try to fit a square peg in a round hole? Stick to counter service where the food is rather basic and plain, then you don't have to worry about the table service restaurants accomodating the huge amount of varied requirements you all have. That way neither you or the table service staffs need to be stressed out and everyone in your group can easily find something that suits their particular brand of pickiness.

amen!!!!!

autismgoesdisney
08-20-2011, 10:35 PM
I see one of the places you are going to is Raglan Road. Word of the wise, SKIP this if you are going with people with severe food allergies. We had an awful situation with my nephews at that place. Figured it was a fluke until someone else complained about the same thing with their nut allergic son! I'd stay far away from there with food allergies. Just my opinion.

c3363
08-20-2011, 10:47 PM
I see one of the places you are going to is Raglan Road. Word of the wise, SKIP this if you are going with people with severe food allergies. We had an awful situation with my nephews at that place. Figured it was a fluke until someone else complained about the same thing with their nut allergic son! I'd stay far away from there with food allergies. Just my opinion.

Thank you for your warning. I hope everything turned out okay! We love to eat out, but it's very risky with food allergies.

lync
08-20-2011, 10:49 PM
WRT the chef mickey thing..
sorry but no the fact that the spoon rest wasn't immediately hosed down with bleach after having a dropped utensil placed in it doesn't squick me out. Floor germs?! seriously? my kitchen floor is worse than anything at WDW as IT only gets washed every 2 weeks by the hired help. and I have cats that plop allover it getting in my way as I cook. haven't died of botulism yet....

To each their own....but people have walked all over Disney (where people spit and everything else) and have been in Disney bathrooms (we all know what is on the floor in there). Totally would have grossed me out, too!! Off topic, I know!!

pooch
08-20-2011, 11:08 PM
would have totally grossed me out too. And I think you would have been well within your rights to demand (I mean, ask nicely but forcefully) that the situation be corrected or be given your money or TS credits back. That having been said, it should surprise no one that kids are misusing utensils at Chef Mickey's on a regular basis. You just happened to see that particular time. Because of this, I avoid WDW buffets geared toward children ie; the character meals. I will go to Boma (maybe too adventurous for your group) and especially like Biergarten (the food has German names but is realy pretty straight forward).

IMHO I think your posts have been somewhat confusing as to exactly what your concerns are (aside from CM and that would be a problem to almost everyone). Perhaps if you told us what restaurants you like and which ones you've got ADRs for, we could be of more help.

c3363
08-20-2011, 11:49 PM
would have totally grossed me out too. And I think you would have been well within your rights to demand (I mean, ask nicely but forcefully) that the situation be corrected or be given your money or TS credits back. That having been said, it should surprise no one that kids are misusing utensils at Chef Mickey's on a regular basis. You just happened to see that particular time. Because of this, I avoid WDW buffets geared toward children ie; the character meals. I will go to Boma (maybe too adventurous for your group) and especially like Biergarten (the food has German names but is realy pretty straight forward).

IMHO I think your posts have been somewhat confusing as to exactly what your concerns are (aside from CM and that would be a problem to almost everyone). Perhaps if you told us what restaurants you like and which ones you've got ADRs for, we could be of more help.

I suppose my posts can be confusing lol.

After getting many negative responses, I deliberately did not say all the places we have reservations for. We are not going to Chef Mickey's.:rotfl:

I've already been told not to go to WDW at all and that I am an unadventurous elitist snob with a bad attitude for wanting to take off sauces, not eat cartilage and eat meals which aren't being served by utensils from the floor lol. I'm sure listing all my ADR's would really bring out negative comments since I have already stated that they did not make our "favorite" list :). They are new to us, and they have a few standard options with more exotic sauces over them.

I just wanted to know if we could take the sauces off things to make them plain for the people who dislike certain foods and safer for the food allergic person. For example, a salmon filet with mushroom sauce. We would ask to have it without the sauce. We won't ask them to make an elaborate sauce for us to substitute it lol. We just want it plain. If some restaurants couldn't do that (some may have things pre-made or cooking in the sauce), we would have tried to find someplace on the DDP that could. From some of the responses, I anticipate that we will not have that problem.

As for the rare instances of poor quality, I wanted to know if we could receive a refund of our TS credit if we were unable to eat because the restaurant was not appropriately dealing with the situation. By appropriately, I mean bringing a new dish out if it has been contaminated by spoons from the floor, bringing a new dish out or allowing an alternative of equal value if poultry cutlet is mostly cartilage, and heating up a meat dish if it is cold or raw and was not ordered that way. I used the Chef Mickey incident to illustrate when we would consider complaining. People seemed to think that I was ordering dishes that I knew I wouldn't like and then sending them back and "demanding" refunds. An incident like Chef Mickey's or a situation where they don't want to replace a bad or raw piece of meat is when we would consider asking for a refund of our TS credit.

wen8jr
08-21-2011, 12:11 AM
c3363,

It would have grossed me out as well. We are very picky eaters and we like what we like. That doesn't mean we complain a lot, we pick our battles and it sounds like you might too and were probably only getting on here to prepare for what you know might become issues due to past experiences, seeking others experiences so that you can avoid issues. I had BAD food when we were there in 2007, and we did not complain because it really wasn't worth the effort at that particular time, I was too exhausted to fight that battle...and sometimes I just don't want to ruin my whole family's meal by complaining. But sometimes, you just have to, especially if it is costing so much money. I feel that just because you're on the DDP plan it does not mean it hasn't cost anything! This year I'm paying out oop, and in 2007 we had free dining BUT we gave up a discounted room rate to do it. So either way, it is costing me money...why would I say "oh well, they should charge me if the food is bad...I owe it to them".

What I have noticed on these boards is that people will pick apart what you post. They are quick to twist everything around or misunderstand you and push their thoughts and opinions down your throat. In the end you are having to defend yourself and then start looking like the bad guy. I rarely ever post now and couldn't even read through all the posts on this particular thread because it just upsets me. I mean for heaven's sake, these are boards where people type out messages, they don't have time and some don't have the talent to post their life history or to explain everything out for all the readers. I feel that if you are not the op and you don't agree at all or don't understand a post or have nothing really helpful to say, well then don't comment at all. But...it seems the opposite, people just keep going and going on them. MOST often repeating what others have said, or keep posting even after the OP answered and clearly ended the conversation. I've read quite a few like this just today. It seems to have become the norm. Now I most often just do a search and look for answers as the enjoyment of communicating on here has absolutely bit the dust for me.

I'm sorry you've had to defend yourself on this thread. I would ignore those that look to argue, think they are smarter than everyone else, think because they will eat anything they are more sophisticated, those that use dirty utensils and who think Disney is perfect.

I really hope you have a great vacation and enjoy great food while you are there!!!

Sincerely,

Wen8jr

c3363
08-21-2011, 12:30 AM
c3363,

It would have grossed me out as well. We are very picky eaters and we like what we like. That doesn't mean we complain a lot, we pick our battles and it sounds like you might too and were probably only getting on here to prepare for what you know might become issues due to past experiences, seeking others experiences so that you can avoid issues. I had BAD food when we were there in 2007, and we did not complain because it really wasn't worth the effort at that particular time, I was too exhausted to fight that battle...and sometimes I just don't want to ruin my whole family's meal by complaining. But sometimes, you just have to, especially if it is costing so much money. I feel that just because you're on the DDP plan it does not mean it hasn't cost anything! This year I'm paying out oop, and in 2007 we had free dining BUT we gave up a discounted room rate to do it. So either way, it is costing me money...why would I say "oh well, they should charge me if the food is bad...I owe it to them".

What I have noticed on these boards is that people will pick apart what you post. They are quick to twist everything around or misunderstand you and push their thoughts and opinions down your throat. In the end you are having to defend yourself and then start looking like the bad guy. I rarely ever post now and couldn't even read through all the posts on this particular thread because it just upsets me. I mean for heaven's sake, these are boards where people type out messages, they don't have time and some don't have the talent to post their life history or to explain everything out for all the readers. I feel that if you are not the op and you don't agree at all or don't understand a post or have nothing really helpful to say, well then don't comment at all. But...it seems the opposite, people just keep going and going on them. MOST often repeating what others have said, or keep posting even after the OP answered and clearly ended the conversation. I've read quite a few like this just today. It seems to have become the norm. Now I most often just do a search and look for answers as the enjoyment of communicating on here has absolutely bit the dust for me.

I'm sorry you've had to defend yourself on this thread. I would ignore those that look to argue, think they are smarter than everyone else, think because they will eat anything they are more sophisticated, those that use dirty utensils and who think Disney is perfect.

I really hope you have a great vacation and enjoy great food while you are there!!!

Sincerely,

Wen8jr

Thank you! I'm sure we will have a great time. I've also noticed that many people are attacked if they post anything with even an ounce of negativity toward Disney on here. However, it's worth it for me to post for the many respectful responses I received. Some don't agree with me and that's fine, but at least they respond respectfully. The personal attacks? I see no need to degrade others over food. :rotfl2:

wen8jr
08-21-2011, 12:37 AM
The personal attacks? I see no need to degrade others over food. :rotfl2:

LOL, I agree!!! There is a lot of information to be gained on the boards and there are some very informative and nice people too (it was a life saver for my very 1st trip in 2007). Its just hard to get past all the muck for me at times. I'm glad you have a positive attitude!!! Again have a wonderful trip! :)

ironz
08-21-2011, 12:59 AM
OP...I think I understand your concerns, and can see how that experience at CM turned you off.

BUT... that was one experience with the utensils, right? So...a) don't go back to CM's where parents let their kids run rampant at the buffet, and b) if you choose another buffet and you see a utensil that has been dropped...do yourselves and all the other diners a favor, and ask a CM to replace the utensil (and spoon rest, if necessary). That's not too hard and would be understood by any food service worker.

As for if you happen to get a bad piece of chicken (and mind you....if you keep getting gristly chicken at McD's...why go back/order it? Of course, McD's has cheap cuts of meat with heaven knows what in it).... that is another situation where the server would likely understand....it's not that you didn't like the dish...it's that you happened to get a lesser cut of meat, which is not a high likelihood anyway. Or....as in the case of maybe some fat around the edges of a steak....just eat around it.

You do seem like you are going into this expecting a bad experience, even though you said that you have had 95% good experiences in the past. I don't get that part. Sorry.

aubriee
08-21-2011, 04:43 AM
Maybe they should have a picky eaters restaurant instead of dumbing down the menus elsewhere for those that aren't picky.

:rotfl::rotfl:This thread reminds me of a trip I took to WDW several years ago. I had met a fellow DISer down there the year before, for a couple of meals and was totally embarrassed when she sent both meals back for one reason or another. I thought they were just isolated incidents though. A year later she was posting on the solo board and inviting other DISers to join her for all of her meals. When I noticed it was going to be a large group hanging out for meals and that I liked most of her ADRs, I decided to join in. Boy, was I sorry.:rolleyes1 I was the only one there who had met her before. We quickly found that her sending back the two meals I knew about the year before, were not isolated incidents. Every single meal, she switched out sides, had them leave off sauces, wanted items cooked differently than they are recommended, etc. Then every single meal she'd send her meal back with some complaint (not enough pumplin in the pumpkin ravioli, prime rib too rare, even though she ordered it rare, the different side she chose didn't 'compliment the dish well', she just thought the dish would taste different and really didn't care for it so wanted to order something else, etc). In other words she caused a scene every single meal both while she was ordering and then again after the meal arrived. She was paying OOP and every single meal she wanted something adjusted on her ticket, since there was always some item she hadn't liked. It got to be a joke. While we were waiting to enter a restaurant someone would wonder what she was going to send back that meal. Halfway through the week, we were looking for excuses to eat somewhere else (without her). If she hadn't been the one to make the ADRs and if we weren't such a large group, we would have.:rotfl: We were all embarrassed by her. She kept saying she was just a picky eater.:rolleyes1 I felt so sorry for our waiters. I know I tipped extra and a few others in our group said they did also, hoping to compensate the waiters for having to deal with her.

Mrsjvb
08-21-2011, 07:06 AM
couple of final points.. in general

I honestly do not think your personal character has been attacked. your ACTIONS may have been. my biggest issue was with your comment about getting refunds due to not liking the taste. sorry but THAT is expecting way too much, is unrealistic and frankly, offensive to the chefs who have to please thousands of people a day and deal with allergies of a wide ranging scope.

Ironz: you do NOT wanna know the ingredient list on a bag of chicken Mc Nuggets or the original chicken patty. ( and if you ever see the Mc Rib again.. I can assure you there is no actual pig in it at all...) spent several years working for the Arch. the biscuits are safe. salads are too(if the fridge door gets properly shut at night..ask me how I know that)

allergies and contamination and sickness.. wanna know WHY our immune systems SUCK now? cus everything is bleached out after every use. anti bacterial hand sanitizer is used every 30 seconds. our bodies cannot build up immunities to anything as they are not allowed to be in contact. germs are GOOD for you.

WRT DP.. actually I am not sure if the OP has it free or is paying for it.. but regardless the advice still stands.. if you cannot use the credits, then what's the point of having them if you are still paying OOP someplace else to find a meal hell with Free dining i'd take the room discount in a heartbeat and use that savings to help cover the cost of meals.

yer right I just plain cannot swap my head around those people who refuse to eat sauces or spices or other added ingredients. food is meant to be enjoyed. i am sure you are just as flummoxed by me who lives for exotic foods and doesn't skirt from eating chopped up octopus tentacles in dough or skewered lizard and has no problems with normal everyday filth on a busy buffet restaurants floor. and for the record..I am severely immunocompromised due to my disease and the medications I must take to combat it. my doctor has only told me to be extra careful in public restrooms, that your average buffet restaurant is fine to serve yourself with the utensils provided.

there is such a thing as being too anal about standards. you cannot control everything.

c3363
08-21-2011, 09:38 AM
MrsJVB, what actions are you judging? Since I have not sent anything back or asked for a refund? I don't want to eat with utensils from the floor. You said you don't mind. That's fine. You don't see me describing you with negative comments.

I still can't understand people that feel it's their right to comment on my choice of food. What is it to you if I choose to order my food plain?

I am not "fixated" on having a bad experience. However, I have received many negative comments, and I will respond to them and defend my position. Why should people be bullied off the boards every time they post something with any hint of negativity toward Disney? People read what they want and ignore everything else. I've said several times that we love Disney and we love eating out there with the exception of a few times. IF those situations happen to arise again on this trip, we may or may not ask for the food to be corrected so that we can eat the meal we paid for.

Do you think it's realistic that there has never been a meal served in Disney World which was improperly cooked, unsanitary or just plain gross? You can honestly say there has never been a case where a meal was worthy of bringing a new dish out or a refund?

Mrsjvb
08-21-2011, 09:58 AM
MrsJVB, what actions are you judging? Since I have not sent anything back or asked for a refund? but you DID ask about doing so on the basis of taste only. THAT action.. yeah I protest .

[...]

Do you think it's realistic that there has never been a meal served in Disney World which was improperly cooked, unsanitary or just plain gross? You can honestly say there has never been a case where a meal was worthy of bringing a new dish out or a refund? never happened to either myself nor my husband in multiple trips. and I am quite sure the number of families.. with and without food allergies and/or 'picky' eaters can say the same exact thing FAR outnumber the isolated incidents that do occur.

One thing I will take from my experience at Mickey D's.. they were VERY anal about cleanliness and food quality( as far as one could be with preprocessed chicken like product). WDW makes mickey D's look like a greasy spoon you see on Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares BEFORE he gets in there and browbeats them into submission.

you took ONE incident at a buffet and turned it into ..OMG will the entire trip be this horrid?! will there be cockroaches everywhere?! dirty silverware at the tables?! many others have stated more than once.. you seem to be LOOKING to find faults. you also seem to be peeved that your 'usual' standbys are unavailable so already you were gonna be disappointed.

have I had a bad meal at WDW? maybe. there have been times where what I ended up with either wasn't what I wanted or expected. so yeah, maybe for that second it was 'bad'. but was it worthy of sending back or demanding a refund? nope. I just got hungry again faster.. and ended up with a Dole Whip that much sooner.

c3363
08-21-2011, 10:14 AM
One thing I will take from my experience at Mickey D's.. they were VERY anal about cleanliness and food quality( as far as one could be with preprocessed chicken like product). WDW makes mickey D's look like a greasy spoon you see on Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares BEFORE he gets in there and browbeats them into submission.

you took ONE incident at a buffet and turned it into ..OMG will the entire trip be this horrid?! will there be cockroaches everywhere?! dirty silverware at the tables?! many others have stated more than once.. you seem to be LOOKING to find faults. you also seem to be peeved that your 'usual' standbys are unavailable so already you were gonna be disappointed.

have I had a bad meal at WDW? maybe. there have been times where what I ended up with either wasn't what I wanted or expected. so yeah, maybe for that second it was 'bad'. but was it worthy of sending back or demanding a refund? nope. I just got hungry again faster.. and ended up with a Dole Whip that much sooner.

On the contrary, I asked a simple question with an example to illustrate an instance where I felt a refund would be necessary. I wasn't looking for people to attack my choice in food or tell me that restaurants need to be "dumbed down for me" etc. I feel as if some of the other posters take everything out of context. It's as if they just expect me to take on their opinion and not respond. I don't see why people feel the need to be hurtful over a difference of opinion about food!!

I've said many times that the taste is affected by the quality. Poor quality makes food taste bad. I didn't say I wanted to return food because the flavor was bad or I didn't like the experimental sauce.

Also, I love this theory that all I have to do is look for something or expect something and I will find it. I'm going to "look" for a million dollars later. Do you think it will happen? lol.

TDC Nala
08-21-2011, 10:17 AM
Thread's done, it's just an off-topic argument now, and the OP has been apprised that they can order their food plain and make contact with Special Diets and WDW Dining for their allergic guest.