PDA

View Full Version : New option for Manitobans flying to Orlando

weebles
08-18-2011, 10:34 PM
Allegiant airlines is now flying out of Grand Forks direct to Orlando. Too bad I booked my tickets for Westjet for January a few weeks ago. Savings are huge, I priced out 4 tickets for half the cost at about $1200. If you're willing to drive a little bit, it may be worth your while.

maxie
08-19-2011, 10:44 PM
I priced it out for our January trip. With the extra baggage fees, gas, and a car rental from Sanford it was some savings but not huge - maybe $400-500. We would have to lengthen the trip by one day as they flights aren't daily.

We're locked in to certain dates for this trip so they weren't for the cheapest flights. I would consider it for next time and base my dates on the flights. Would be able to make it worth while if my dates were flexible.

iluvtheworld
08-21-2011, 08:05 AM
Thanks for the info! I would definitely consider this if we weren't going in the winter. We are a family of 5, so it was almost $1200 cheaper for us!

AprilFool
08-21-2011, 08:56 PM
This is not new, they just started advertising it though. Only problem with Allegient is that it flies into Sanford, not Orlando International so if you stay on Disney property, you can't get the Magical Express. We are going again on Aug. 28th :cool1: out of Minneapolis. This is our third time flying out of there....dirt cheap! Last year we flew for $800 for 4 people! We stay at the same hotel in Minneapolis every time we go and they let you use the airport shuttle and leave your car at the hotel when you are gone. Bonus...I get my Albertville shopping on the way back! :banana:

FLVacationGirl
08-21-2011, 10:35 PM
AprilFool, what time of year did you go last year?

I'm looking for flights and am considering flying out of Winnipeg, Grand Forks, Fargo, or Minneapolis depending on prices and dates. But because we took the past 2 winters off from flying to Florida (only Vegas instead) I don't know what prices are good now. :)

Winnipeg to Fort Myers used to cost us $395-ish total per person roundtrip. Now I only see it working out to $550 - $850 total pp.
MSP to MCO was $165-ish total pp RT. We had 5 of us for that trip and didn't mind the drive. Right now I see it coming up as $279 total per person RT and Allegiant GF-Sanford is coming out to $295 total pp RT. We have tons of vacation time this year so we are pretty flexible for whatever we end up choosing.

Grand Forks to Sanford might win this year. I also have one free roundtrip flight I can use with Delta but I might end up just saving it for a more expensive fare use down the road.

AprilFool
08-22-2011, 08:19 PM
We have always flown in the summer.:cool2:

FLVacationGirl
08-23-2011, 12:04 AM
We have always flown in the summer.:cool2:

K, thanks!