PDA

View Full Version : Just sayin........

minniqt7
08-18-2011, 02:02 PM
Been a member since 2003 and am an avid disboad READER not much of a POSTER but I feel the need to say I LOVE MY DVC.. so much negativity lately here I have to say that I have been to Disney many trips since our purchase. Never had an unclean room, once in a while a not so good view, and rarely if ever a rude CM on the properties. We don't typically analyze the cost of our purchase but in terms of happiness it has brought us and the family there is no value to be placed. I still believe in the long run we will be saving$$$$ but it really truley doesn't matter. If you feel forced to go to Disney and spend $$$ then you are not using your membership correctly. We go because we WANT to and use Vero and Hilton Head and other places as alternatives. Our membership has afforded us pleasures and places we would have never been to if not for our DVC.We are just average Joe's enjoying our purchase and looking forward to many trips in the future with kids grandkids hopefully and family. I feel confident that the new leadership will correct any issues that are out there and we will flourish. Relax people and enjoy what you have been so lucky to gain--- feel positive about your purchase and HAVE FUN!!!!

skygirltkw
08-18-2011, 02:38 PM
THANK YOU...I am considering purchasing and so have been scouring the boards reading everything. I kept thinking maybe I was crazy for WANTING to purchase, glad to hear some are happy with the decision to do so.

:thumbsup2

wildernessDad
08-18-2011, 02:41 PM
I love my DVC too. :)

SmilingGrump
08-18-2011, 02:44 PM
Well said! I'm a new member to DVC, but not to other timeshares. We bought into DVC because we're confident it will hold better value (not just monetary value, but value of overall experience) then other resorts.

My other timeshare has suffered in the downturn, it's nowhere near spotless and you're all but guaranteed to run into missing kitchen items and/or fixtures and furniture in need of repair. It's worse at places we've traded off for (with the exception of Orange Lakes which was wonderful!) Then there's the assessments and rapidly rising dues because so many are in default .... Yep! DVC is where we're meant to be! :woohoo:

SmilingGrump
08-18-2011, 02:51 PM
THANK YOU...I am considering purchasing and so have been scouring the boards reading everything. I kept thinking maybe I was crazy for WANTING to purchase, glad to hear some are happy with the decision to do so.

:thumbsup2

I'd say MOST are very happy. Remember that you hear mostly just from those that are displeased. While many of those are justified, some will never be happy.

I understand that DVC resorts are not as good as they were "back in the day," but neither is my house! Things age over time and DVC seems to be doing a better job then other timeshares of keeping quality up while balancing that with budget. Two years ago, I had what amounted to a 10% assessment on my other timeshare for "refurbishing" ... funny, that was supposed to be part of our annual dues, but when I read the fine print and asked hard questions, there was almost nothing left in the kitty for refurbishing because it had all been spent covering delinquint owner dues. I haven't heard any of those stories out of DVC members!

dmoore22
08-18-2011, 02:54 PM
We've been DVC members for nearly 10 years. I would guess that 99.9999% of our experiences have gone without a glitch. If there has been one it was generally minor and MS has gone way out out of their way to correct it once they were made aware of the situation.

disneyfreak2127
08-18-2011, 03:01 PM
We love our DVC, too! We go to WDW b/c we love it! ANY DVC room is better than a regular hotel room to us! We have stayed at OKW, VWL and BCV (our home) and have enjoyed them all for different reasons! We have also traded out through RCI and found out that our amenities at DVC are great. Our trade to a mountain resort in VA felt like just a condo...not much to be overjoyed about.

You could say that DVC owner's don't often know what they have until they try something else. It proved to us that we really enjoy using our DVC points the way we choose, not on someone else's terms. Hope to try either Vero or HHI soon!

OrangeCountyCommuter
08-18-2011, 03:27 PM
I think there are two reasons this board sometimes appears negative

1. People generally only post reviews etc when they are unhappy. So 100 people go to DVC. 99 are just fine and don't ever say anything. The other one ... (Well sometimes they post the same complaints OVER AND OVER AND OVER as if it's a new occurance.. And that's not restricted to the DIS. Over on Flyertalk there is a guy who had a bad stay at the JW Marriott about five years ago. EVERY time someone asks about the hotel he jumps in with this story making it sound like it was yesterday until other posters cal him on it! )

2. The DIS has a high volume of "entitlement" and that I don't really get. The Disney should give us stuff to come visit view that's very common on here. When I bought Disney said I was buying a place to sleep. So far they have lived up to that. They did not say I was getting "free dining, free tickets, discounts, special treatment etc.." So IMHO anything they do give me is extra not "deserved" and "too little" (OF course that's not limited to here, you should read flyertalk.com It is really entitlement out of control People on there honestly believe the airlines should turn down cash so that they can have 'free upgrades' or that if the hotel manager does not bow down in their presence and give them the presidentail suite over someone willing to pay they were 'mistreated')

BEASLYBOO
08-18-2011, 03:35 PM
Thank you for the positive thread! :yay:

:cloud9: I love my DVC today just as much as when I bought in 2000! :lovestruc:

MinnieFan4ever
08-18-2011, 03:55 PM
A DVC owner here since 2002 and I LOVE MY DVC!:love: Thanks for starting this post. I can't even count how many nights we have spent at Disney since we bought, but I will say they have all been happy. :goodvibes

Disneymanic
08-18-2011, 05:30 PM
We bought in to DVC because Disney World is where we love to vacation. It was never about the perks or stuff like that. It was about having a little bit of Disney magic for ourselves. We still love our " Home Away From Home.":love:

bobbiwoz
08-18-2011, 05:50 PM
We are very happy to be DVC members and we are always looking forward to our next stay! I have a 5 night Gals getogether in September which will include the first MNSSHP!:yay: DH comes down afterwards for more fun!:yay:

Bobbi:goodvibes

stitchineeyore
08-18-2011, 05:59 PM
DVC since 99. Just wish we'd done it sooner! We have done just about everything with our points - lots of trips to WDW; a three week trip to California cobbled together from an Interval International week, Concierge collection in San Francisco, and Grand Californian at Disneyland; trip to Scotland through Interval International; Disney Cruises on the Magic and the Wonder (and the Member Cruise on the Dream next month, yippee!) and an Adventure by Disney to Italy. Yep, we have a lotta points, most of them purchased early on before buy-in prices rose. And we use them. Disney has definitely lived up to what we were promised when we signed up. GREAT accommodations, and good service on the exchanges. Love, love our DVC!

dvcterry
08-18-2011, 06:51 PM
We are a very happy DVC family....Just came back from the World. Stayed at our Home Resort (Beach Club) :lovestruc Had a great time for 10 days. Members since 2002. Stopped at HHI on our drive home. Another great vacation! Can't wait to go through the pics and maybe do our first trip report.

sarahk0204
08-18-2011, 07:33 PM
Love our DVC here too!

Kidanifan08
08-18-2011, 07:51 PM
We joined DVC in October 2008. We have done 3 DVC trips on our points and 1 using a DVC friend's points since then. We have always been very happy with our trips. We were just at OKW 2 weeks ago and we got plenty of "Welcome Home"'s from the CM's. WE have been fortunate to not have any mechanical or housekeeping issues with our stays, so far. We enjoy it some much that we have to keep trying to avoid addonitis!! I think the negativity about DVC stems from one bad experience, but most of the people on these boards seem to have memorable family vacations and choose to stay members because of DVC. Thanks for the "positive" thread! We love our DVC!!

ToddyLu
08-18-2011, 07:55 PM
:) Count me in as Number 17 in the Lover's Thread. I am sooo lucky to have DVC and a DH who loves WDW.

seelyt2
08-18-2011, 08:06 PM
Us too, OP! We LOVE our DVC!!! We've never had a problem with anything and trust that if we did, and if we mentioned an issue, that it would be taken care of. The CM's are so fantastic and attentive. I can't imagine any timeshare-like business could match or beat what Disney accomplishes. It may sound cliche, but it's magic!

We're enjoying our family vacation now as I write. Unfortunately we leave tomorrow. I know that if we hadn't purchased DVC that we would never vacation like we do. It has brought so much happiness to our family.

Donna M
08-18-2011, 08:16 PM
We're very happy too. When we have had a problem it has been taken care of very quickly.

Of course I would like everything to be absolutely perfect and to be able to check in when I arrive, but all of that depends on people and people are not perfect.

I think it's when people have super high expectations, that's when they get most disappointed. Granted though, I have read legitimate problems.

Dziactor
08-18-2011, 08:36 PM
Another happy DVC member here. Purchased two years ago and haven't looked back. Going for my 6th visit in 2 years next weekend.

grumpy638
08-18-2011, 09:28 PM
Bought in April 2005 best money I ever spend 13 trips all great times no REAL problems I think some just look for things to complain about. We have never made a request for anything and always have been happy with room, location etc.Own at SSR and LOVE it trip 14 coming in first week of April .

mdsd8700
08-18-2011, 09:39 PM
Only have been members just over a year, so not a whole lot of DVC history. However we simply love our DVC!! We are bringing people with us on our November trip and that wouldn't have been possible with out DVC. Looking forward to all our future trips!

BBG-BLT
08-18-2011, 09:52 PM
Never stayed on site until I bought into DVC and I have to say I'm VERY HAPPY...:thumbsup2

Don' pay any attention to the haters

JWG
08-18-2011, 10:37 PM
We love our our DVC and have since 1999. Original purchase in the family: 1999 BWV, added on in 2000 or 2001. Added on in 2010 and again in 2011.

We have had some minor issues, always addressed.

Certainly would like to see a few improvements, but we're mostly happy.

lah3hh
08-18-2011, 11:59 PM
Thank you...Thank you...and did I say Thank you for creating this post. I was beginning to think I was the only DVC member who is not happy at the moment.

I am basking in the pure positive nature of this thread....I 100% beyond a doubt LOVE my DVC and what is has been able to provide to our family since Juy 1998 when we joined. :cheer2:

We have taken so many trips to WDW, 3 trips to DL, too many to count trips to HHI, VB one time, Las Vegas, NY and Upper Michigan trips (through exchange method) and not to forget 15+ cruises we have taken with DCL. I can say loud and proud...we could have NEVER afforded those trips had we not had our beloved DVC points. To think we have been able to do all of that in 13 years is remarkable and has provided so many memories that can never be taken from us. :hug:

You know we have had a few problems with rooms or conditions of something in the room but as soon as I notified the front desk...they were taken care of immediately, same day with a smile on their face. It is those same situations we laugh about now and start off the experience to each other as...remember when this happened and we all end up laughing so hard...Good Times!!!! :lmao:

Best decision DH and I made other than getting married and having our beautiful daughter. So with DVC being our 3rd best decision....I say it ranks very high on our accomplishments in our lives together!!!! :love:

Rock on DVC...we enjoyed our DVC membership under the last leadership team and I am positively sure we will continue to be proud DVC members under the new leadership.

I am a strong believer if you look at the world with your negative...critical glasses on then that is all you will see...for me I am loving my positive...life is good glasses....:3dglasses

KathyK
08-19-2011, 12:50 AM
We've been members since 2000, and we have always been very happy dvc members. Our only ” problem” is not enough points!

Sammie
08-19-2011, 12:56 AM
We like our DVC but that does not mean we don't see room for improvement.

If you have never had a dirty room or bad experience, it would be very hard to be sure how you would feel about it if you had many such experiences.

Pootle
08-19-2011, 02:54 AM
1. People generally only post reviews etc when they are unhappy. So 100 people go to DVC. 99 are just fine and don't ever say anything. The other one ... (Well sometimes they post the same complaints OVER AND OVER AND OVER as if it's a new occurance..

2. The DIS has a high volume of "entitlement" and that I don't really get. The Disney should give us stuff to come visit view that's very common on here. When I bought Disney said I was buying a place to sleep.

:thumbsup2 Totally agree with the above sentiments (oh, and I use Flyertalk too, lol)

I'm a happy DVC owner (15 years) but human nature is that we find other people's bad experiences 'interesting' and tend to gloss over the 'magical stay' posts - I know I do ;), but, FWIW, I've never encountered a 'rude' cast member or a dirty room - and I guess I've had at least 50 check-ins during that time. I've had some stays/rooms that have been just perfect and others less so, and I'm not too keen on the refurbishments at OKW, but nothing to make me rethink my membership :goodvibes

granmanh603
08-19-2011, 06:07 AM
I am an 11year owner and for the most part have had great experiences at Disney... never had an unclean room and if problem things were fixed, that said I do feel a less of Disney feeling the last 5-6 years...
IMHO as for the complaints and demands..just check the Clair wish thread...over 10 pages, is it any wonder the impression Jim Lewis had of entitled DVC members or the CM opinion of us(posted many time that it is the least favorite place to work , at the DVC resorts). For me that was a depressing thread and I sure hope Clair doesn't read it. :goodvibes

lah3hh
08-20-2011, 05:10 PM
Couldn't agree more with the previous poster...it appears some folks have a full sense of entitlement...that DVC should provide them the best perks, the best price, things for free....we bought into DVC to be able to have fabulous vacations and stay in Disney or Disney quality rooms...that is what we have been given by being members.

The perks are nice, they come and they go, no big deal. Enjoy them when you have them and talk about how great they were when they are gone. But no complaining here...only happy times ahead!

Claire if you are out there...please don't read 1/2 of what is on these threads these days. Most of us love DVC and sure we will prosper under your leadership as well.

The past has been wonderful and the best is yet to come!!!:lovestruc

BabsBunny
08-20-2011, 05:45 PM
Great thread. :)

We bought a few years ago and have already added on. We really look at it like a pre-paid vacation. We have our own business and have been fortunate enough to have had a few good years. And when that happens, you get used to a certain standard of living. So knowing that we really don't want to go back to putting a family of four in a moderate, we bought in when we could. Ten years ago it was all about how to get to WDW and spending as little as possible. It's nice to know that when business goes down (and it always does), we can still count on a nice vacation with just the cost of the annual dues.

wendydarling826
08-20-2011, 08:02 PM
I totally agree. We have had so many wonderful family vacations and love the feeling of coming home when we arrive. We have had consistently courteous and helpful cast members and some who have gone above and beyond for us. DH and I agree that joining DVC was one of the best decisions we've ever made.

swc1061
08-20-2011, 08:12 PM
I for one am sorry regarding my purchase. Sorry I didn't do it sooner than 2007!:rotfl2:

Norm1
08-20-2011, 10:03 PM
We have been members since 1995. Add us to the members that love DVC. We have been able to give our 3 children a honeymoon at Disney. Had a wedding proposal on Turtle Krawl. Many Grand Gatherings and memories that will last a life time. The memories are still coming as we look forward to spending Christmas with our grandkids and family at AKL in December. Priceless!! Have we had a few bumps in 16 years, yes, but to few to mention.

Sammie
08-20-2011, 10:33 PM
I am an 11year owner and for the most part have had great experiences at Disney... never had an unclean room and if problem things were fixed, that said I do feel a less of Disney feeling the last 5-6 years...
IMHO as for the complaints and demands..just check the Clair wish thread...over 10 pages, is it any wonder the impression Jim Lewis had of entitled DVC members or the CM opinion of us(posted many time that it is the least favorite place to work , at the DVC resorts). For me that was a depressing thread and I sure hope Clair doesn't read it. :goodvibes

Don't worry she, won't. ;)

friends with mickey
08-20-2011, 11:24 PM
Member since 92. We are enjoying our DVC today as much or more than day one. When we joined there was no DIS to contend with. OKW was DVC and there was WDW(no Animal Kingdom) and DL (only one park). and we loved it. Look at DVC now 7 DVC at WDW and growing, Grand Floridian anyone, Grand California, Vero Beach, Hilton Head, Hawaii. Disneylands in Paris, Hong Kong and Tokyo, Soon to be 4 DCL ships. You can see the world with DVC and that is without using RCI or Adventures by Disney.
If the next 20 years are anything like this 20 years has been, then the sky is the limit for you newer DVC members
All I can say is Enjoy your Membership and have fun:thumbsup2

Goofy DVC
08-20-2011, 11:59 PM
Members since 93 and still lovin it!:thumbsup2 Best investment in family that we ever made.:goodvibes

marts35
08-21-2011, 12:00 AM
We have only been members 2 years, but have enjoyed every stay so far. We still have much to explore and look forward to many happy vacation days ahead. :cool1: :cool1: :cool1:

rparmfamily
08-21-2011, 02:46 AM
Members since 2006 and we love it!

eporter66
08-21-2011, 10:00 AM
Great post, and I could not agree more. We also joined in 2003, after 3 trips to WDW we decided it was a place we enjoy visiting. I have friends who to this day cant believe we go almost every year, but we love it.

We have had many great vacations, and different experiences. We have done Sea World, and are saving Universal until our daughter is a little older, plus it will be nice to have a whole theme park to experience for the first time. We did Sea World last year and loved it, not sure we will go back this year, but we will go back.

First of all - we have such a great time every year. And, although people dont believe us, we do relax. We enjoy a day or two at the pool, and we dont go rushing through the parks, we just enjoy it. I cant stress that enough, Disney is relaxing for us.

We have sent my parents on an anniversary vacation, we have had friends and family come down with us and stay, along with our own vacations, DVC has been fantastic.

I am planning on a golf vacation one of these years with a few friends. Possibly a spring training trip as well - love baseball!!!

My only concern is that up to this point (we have been going to WDW since 1998 - pre daughter), we have been able to visit WDW during non-peak times of the year. Our daughter is getting to that age where taking her out of school may not be an option for us, we are thinking this could be the last year. I am not sure what we will do for an alternative, as flights are not cheap enough to do long weekend trips these days - I would consider two shorter trips, but not until/if prices change.

That is my only concern, but I am sure we will figure something out. I can only speak for my family, but DVC has been a most worth while investment/purchase, and I have no regrets!

rutgers1
08-21-2011, 10:21 AM
Everyone I have ever spoken to who owns DVC but does not participate in this board is blissfully unaware of the gripes that people have on this board. I posted this a few weeks ago, but even at a resort like SSR which many people here do not like (myself included), I have met many people who absolutely love it. One family owned DVC for a while and never stayed anywhere else and the guy looked t me like I was nuts when I told him that a lot of people don't like it. For him, it was his home resort and that is where he liked to stay.

With that said, occasional gripes are ok with me. I do think that the DVC admin read this board, and I am sure that they learn a lot. The people who complain about ridiculous things as though their personal liberties were violated do get to me sometimes.

BUDDYBEAR
08-21-2011, 07:49 PM
WE LOVE OUR DVC AND GO THREE TO FOUR TIMES A YEAR :cool1:

Mrs Hobbes
08-21-2011, 08:22 PM
Members since Jan 2008 we've had 2 fantastic trips home, given family a little trip and taken friends out with us and shown them the magic too. We can not wait for our next trip and all the others we keep dreaming about. We are about to add on so we can go for longer in bigger villas and take more friends with us. We dream about the day that our girls give us grand children and we can all go out together and stay in the grand villas. So far our villas have been gorgeous, if there were flaws and slight imperfections I was in my happy place making memories with my family and I didn't stop to notice them. Thanks for the positive thread we love our DVC too :)

DizDays
08-22-2011, 12:20 AM
Great post! We have been members since the beginning of 2009 and LOVE our DVC. We've added on twice already and are looking at yet another. It's quite addictive. Except for the points reallocation that hit us hard (AKV), we have loved every bit of it. Thanks for sharing your opinion.

Disneymagic09
08-22-2011, 01:57 PM
We have only been members for the past 2 years, but we have gone to Disney 4 times, soon to be 5 in Sept., and absolutely love it! Growing up, I went to Disney with my family every year and have created so many memories. Now, I can enjoy going and staying on property every year, and my children will enjoy the same memories that I cherish. I don't think there is any better way to vacation than DVC. It truly is magical, and our family looks forward to every trip waiting to hear those words, "Welcome Home!". :goodvibes

Bill K
08-22-2011, 02:58 PM
Been a member since 2003 and am an avid disboad READER not much of a POSTER but I feel the need to say I LOVE MY DVC.. so much negativity lately here I have to say that I have been to Disney many trips since our purchase. Never had an unclean room, once in a while a not so good view, and rarely if ever a rude CM on the properties. We don't typically analyze the cost of our purchase but in terms of happiness it has brought us and the family there is no value to be placed. I still believe in the long run we will be saving$$$$ but it really truley doesn't matter. If you feel forced to go to Disney and spend $$$ then you are not using your membership correctly. We go because we WANT to and use Vero and Hilton Head and other places as alternatives. Our membership has afforded us pleasures and places we would have never been to if not for our DVC.We are just average Joe's enjoying our purchase and looking forward to many trips in the future with kids grandkids hopefully and family. I feel confident that the new leadership will correct any issues that are out there and we will flourish. Relax people and enjoy what you have been so lucky to gain--- feel positive about your purchase and HAVE FUN!!!!

Oh how true! My feeling exactly!