PDA

View Full Version : Restaurant for night w/o kids

Akliebert
08-18-2011, 01:23 PM
For our trip in February we are having a night out without the kids. I'm trying to decide which restaurant to choose. We aren't on the dining plan so that doesn't matter. Help me choose!!!

Aunt Bee
08-18-2011, 03:12 PM
So Many Choices!

Since the kids are staying back, I'll assume you want a romantic setting, not a character buffet? :cloud9:

If you can afford it, Victoria and Alberts is THE most romantic spot I can think of. You dress up, get a personalized menu to take home, flowers, china, crystal... you're not rushed to finish, service is very attentive. It will be something you will always remember! :) You'll probably remember the bill, too, but what the heck? :rotfl:

California Grill can be romantic, too. The staff is very accomodating when it's a special occasion. I had a very memorable anniversary dinner there. Ask for a window table and schedule your ADR for "Wishes". Very romantic! Even if it's not your anniversary, you're probably celebrating something romantic, eh?

French Bistro has a nice couples atmosphere; not a lot of children or large family groups, and very nice wine. Food can be hit or miss, but I've had excellent food there, too. Dinner in Paris! You can tell your friends, "I had dinner in Paris..."

La Hacienda de San Angel at Epcot in Mexico has subdued lightning, great margaritas; the food is ok. The margaritas are yummmmy!

Le Cellier is my daughter and husband's favorite. It's dark and romantic and the food is really good, especially the steak.

There are many more choices...

Enjoy!!

Aunt Bee

TDC Nala
08-18-2011, 04:04 PM
There's no way I would call Le Cellier romantic. Noisy and crowded, yes, and the tables are extremely close together so your neighbors will be able to hear everything you say, and vice versa. Can't recommend that one.

Pakey
08-18-2011, 04:24 PM
V&A always tops the list; every meal is consistently excellent.

If you don't want to dress up that much or spend 3 hours dining, I'd recommend the upscale restaurants at the Swan/Dolphin over any of Disney's signatures. My personal favorite is bluezoo because I would rather have fish than anything but Il Mulino and Shulas are both top notch.

We used to enjoy Bistro de Paris but recent reports have indicated that they are allowing children to order from the kids' menu at Chefs so it's no longer the more adult dining experience that it used to be. I hope they correct this at some point and return it to it's former atmosphere.

Out of Disney's signatures, Citricos offers the best chance for a quiet adult environment.

Pakey
08-18-2011, 04:38 PM
Double post

dvcHammer
08-18-2011, 04:41 PM
Flying Fish at Boardwalk

Jiko at ALK is a great choice, or even Sanna at Jambo House

shellybaxter
08-18-2011, 07:26 PM
My favorite is Jiko - and it is usually a quieter meal with fewer (or well behaved) children

Mississippianna
08-18-2011, 07:30 PM
We love a good steak, so we're going over to Shula's at the Dolphin for a date night next trip. It gets rave reviews. We're taking DD to Camp Dolphin b/c they have a deal that you get 2 hours there for free if you eat in one of their restaurants.

vanillarum
08-18-2011, 07:43 PM
My bride and I have been at WDW many times during our anniversary in Aug.
I think our favorite is Artist's Point at the Wilderness Lodge. If you go a bit later in the evening (after 8, say), it is pretty quiet. And the food is always excellent. Good luck.

Karlzmom
08-18-2011, 07:53 PM
For our trip in February we are having a night out without the kids. I'm trying to decide which restaurant to choose. We aren't on the dining plan so that doesn't matter. Help me choose!!!

DH and I love Flying Fish for a *date night* and this trip we have added Artist's Point, which I understand from some posts *can* be a bit quieter than say California Grill....Where will you children be? Do you want dinner near where they will be [I.E. do you want to stay near the MK if at the Neverland Club or Cub Den? Near the SandCastle club at the BC?]

If you want something near the BW, I've read that there are some nice places at the Swan/Dolphin as well....have fun!

gojoe
08-18-2011, 07:58 PM
So, so many but Narcoossee's (http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/dining/diningdetail.cfm?restaurant.ID=32) is one of our favorites We think for the best dining experience we love the Yachtsman (http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/dining/diningdetail.cfm?restaurant.ID=13) Just thought about Flying Fish (http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/dining/diningdetail.cfm?Restaurant.ID=319), boy that was a great evening. What ever you pick have a Magical time

rs505
08-18-2011, 08:17 PM
We just got back and on our anniversary, we ate at Citricos at the Grand Floridian. It is right next to V&A. It was romantic, with great service. But most importantly, the food was excellent. It was just as good as any restaurant we would have eaten at had we been back home in Philadelphia for our anniversary.

southelginband
08-18-2011, 10:18 PM
Thanks Aunt Bee for the suggestion - we were going to try La Hacienda de San Angel when we go. Good to know it's a great place

buzz5985
08-18-2011, 11:44 PM
We ate at Shula's tonight. The service is impeccable, each table has 3 people assigned to you. The meal was wonderful, servings were huge - so we shared the baked potato and the asparagus.

If you decide on Shula's - you can get a $25 gift certificate on Restaurant dot com site. We used one with no problem, just be aware - and the server brought it to our attention - a lot of restuarants don't - they add in a 18% tip on the price before the discount. We opted to tip more - they were that good.

Janis

tinkandpan
08-19-2011, 06:40 AM
V&A is a great choice, but sometimes you just don't feel like bringing a jacket for dh. So we enjoy, Jiko, BlueZoo or Shulas. Artist point is on my list but i haven't been. CG is good food, but i prefer it just for a cocktail as it gets so loud in there. LAst time, dh and I took it down a notch and went to Sannaa. It was great, empty and we cocktailed, watched the animals and had a great reasonably priced dinner.

mab2010
08-19-2011, 06:55 AM
Another vote for Victoria & Alberts. Amazing experience. It's nearly a car payment if you get all the good stuff, but it's fun!

Uncleromulus
08-19-2011, 06:59 AM
What Pakey said, except I switch Shula's and Blue Zoo...
But any of the 3 Swan/Dolphin spots is a good choice!

WrenNCuckoos
08-19-2011, 08:10 AM
Thanks for asking this. I was literally just about to ask myself. Our kids will be back in the room with grandparents, so we can choose pretty much anywhere. We're on the DDP, but would be willing to pay OOP.

I'm thinking one of the Swan and Dolphin restaurants now, based on what people have said. I can't quite justify Victoria and Albert's, and I know DH won't like the price or having to wear a jacket since he'll finally get out of a suit for a couple of weeks.

Akliebert
08-20-2011, 12:59 PM
Thanks for all of your great suggestions. I think it might be between Bluezoo and Shula's. We are trying V&A in September and also Il Mulino. On our night out the kids will be with other family that we are traveling with.

canopynut66
08-20-2011, 01:08 PM

Victorias and Alberts is pricy but worth it if looking for romantic.:love:or are others signatures that are good as well:thumbsup2

gojoe
08-20-2011, 05:41 PM
Check our Restaurants.com for Shula's & Bluezoo. (http://www.restaurant.com/rdc_site2.net/listings.aspx?PageSize=10&Page=1&VicinitySearchLevel=DISTRICT&StateID=0&SearchID=371&DistrictID=0&RegionID=0&vlvl=district&vids=371&vidsl=1&vstid=18&vgid=15&vstcd=FL&vdid=50&pgn=gcp&zp=&pxm=15&src=&rn=&ct=&cs=0&ne=0&al=&nv=1&pg=1&bsp=1&=&)

lizzyb
08-20-2011, 05:56 PM
We are having our first dinner at disney sans kids on our upcoming vacation. We chose California Grill.

hbehrman
08-20-2011, 06:18 PM
We have never dined there (as we always have the kids) but my choice would be Victoria and Alberts ( I think they have a Chef's table, too) for something super nice; next would be the Wolfgang Pucks Dining Room at DTD; and third would be Kiminos Sushi Bar or Kona Island Sushi Bar (as we both really like sushi)> I think the last has a kids club nearby which would make it convenient.

Belle83
08-20-2011, 07:28 PM
If you want steak, Shula's is excellent (and quiet). We had a later dinner here, there wasn't a single kid in the restaurant. It also wasn't very crowded, I think because we were there during free dining and because we ate so late.

California Grill's food is amazing. This is my favorite so far. There were some kids in the main dining area, but we were seated in a quiet wine room that was separate from the main area.

GOOFY4DONALD
08-20-2011, 08:01 PM
This is a great thread. We are taking a trip next November and DD will be old enough to babysit the younger 2. We are staying at FW Cabins and we also want a romantic dinner but there is no way I could get him to set foot in V&A. I was hoping for Artist Point but I heard it can be noisy.