PDA

View Full Version : Leaving unopened soda/water/groceries behind for mousekeeping?

whamma
08-17-2011, 08:55 PM
We checked out yesterday and left behind a case of soda and 8 bottled waters. I put a note on them for housekeeping to keep them. Does anyone know for sure if the CMs are allowed to keep items like this that are purposely left behind at check out? Just wondering if anyone knows for sure if Disney has a "policy" on this type of thing.

treehugnmama
08-17-2011, 09:31 PM
We asked a bell service cm if he would Luke 2 cases of water and he said he would love them and took them

com_op_2000
08-17-2011, 09:35 PM
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2727865

disneynutz
08-17-2011, 10:37 PM
Our experience is that they will take anything not nailed down. :goodvibes

:earsboy: Bill

SamSam
08-18-2011, 12:09 AM
We always leave anything 'unopened' with a note to housekeeping..."We hope you can enjoy these items".

jackskellington01
08-18-2011, 12:17 AM
Our experience is that they will take anything not nailed down. :goodvibes

:laughing:

mikeweider1
08-18-2011, 01:44 AM
Does anyone tip their housekeeping CM as well? What do you think a good tip would be for housekeeping?

ssawka
08-18-2011, 08:31 AM
Not sure about Disney, but we were at a timeshare in Virginia Beach this past weekend, and on the refrigerator there was a note asking you to leave unopened food behind. It said that they donate it to a local food bank.

com_op_2000
08-18-2011, 08:28 PM
Does anyone tip their housekeeping CM as well? What do you think a good tip would be for housekeeping?

I was told by a mousekeeping CM that all tips are suppose to turned in for a CM party.

nu2dvc
08-18-2011, 10:49 PM
I was told by a mousekeeping CM that all tips are suppose to turned in for a CM party.

what :confused3

disneynutz
08-18-2011, 11:00 PM
I was told by a Mousekeeping CM that all tips are suppose to turned in for a CM party.

Mousekeeping is not a tipped position as agreed to between Disney and their Union. As a result, they are paid a higher wage and they may be required to pool their tips.

WilsonFlyer
08-19-2011, 05:26 AM
I was told by a mousekeeper (I asked.) that they are allowed to keep any UNOPENED food and any unopened beverages except alcohol (opened or not). At least that's the rule, or so I was told.

granmanh603
08-19-2011, 06:27 AM
We usually leave the unopened stuff for Mousekeeping but last time when bell services came to pick up bags we had more than a six pack of beer and asked if he would like it and let me tell you there was no hesitation he jumped at the opportunity!!!

Alexander
08-19-2011, 09:26 AM

Mousekeeping is not a tipped position as agreed to between Disney and their Union. As a result, they are paid a higher wage and they may be required to pool their tips.

And I'm sure this happens! Pool your tips! Yeah right! Even I wouldn't do that! Sure I might throw in a couple of bucks, but if someone is leaving a 10 or 20 behind, that's not going in any pool!

Disney_Mama
08-19-2011, 11:45 AM
Not sure about Disney, but we were at a timeshare in Virginia Beach this past weekend, and on the refrigerator there was a note asking you to leave unopened food behind. It said that they donate it to a local food bank.

What a great idea.

Thumper_Man
08-19-2011, 11:54 AM

Our timeshare does this also. Any unused/unopened non-perishable foods would be donated to a local food bank. When we check-out, we just have to take it to the drop box they have located by the check-out counter.

ssawka
08-19-2011, 01:04 PM
Our timeshare does this also. Any unused/unopened non-perishable foods would be donated to a local food bank. When we check-out, we just have to take it to the drop box they have located by the check-out counter.

I like this better, then management can make sure the food bank gets it.

Thumper_Man
08-19-2011, 02:20 PM
I like this better, then management can make sure the food bank gets it.

If I remember correctly, they work with a food bank that provides the donation boxes. They told me the food bank will send out a truck once a week to pick up the full box and leave an empty box. If the box fills up before their normal pick up day, then they can just call them to have them come pick it up sooner.

fitzpa
08-19-2011, 02:52 PM
We have alway left the unopened items and a tip. Didn't know that they had to pool the tips though.

mickeysbestfriend
08-19-2011, 06:50 PM
you believe that?

What a great idea.

They take anything else that is left behind. I left a couple of Disney golf shirts hanging in the room and discovered it before we boarded Magical Express. I called Mousekeeping and they said the room had already been clean and nothing was found.....yeah.....right..

tjhsr
08-20-2011, 09:24 AM
We leave all unopened water,soda's and a tip. I left a phone charger once and called when we got back and it was turned in by mousekeeping at SSR :thumbsup2It was mailed to me a few days later.

rparmfamily
08-20-2011, 08:07 PM
My hubby was just called that they found his Target g/c's that were left in the room at OKW back in July. They were a prize from a convention he went to (so his name was on the envelope.) I was pretty impressed, we considered those gone!

LSchrow
08-21-2011, 09:22 AM
we give all our unopened food and drink to bell services when we check out of the room. they have always been very appreciative (we also tip well:))

DizDays
08-22-2011, 12:51 AM
This is a great thread and very helpful information. I always wondered what to do and worried about leaving stuff behind that would end up causing more "clean up." But if they're allowed unopened products, that solves the problem. Thanks.

eyeheartgoofy
08-24-2011, 11:06 PM
Last time I stayed at VWL (which was 2008, so maybe things have changed), I saw several housekeepers over the course of our visit with garbage bags full of partially used bottles of detergent. I had never thought about it, but I think a lot of detergent gets left behind ... nobody does enough laundry on vacation to use an entire bottle (do they?) and most people aren't going to bother carting an open bottle of detergent home in their luggage.

LSchrow
08-26-2011, 08:28 AM
Last time I stayed at VWL (which was 2008, so maybe things have changed), I saw several housekeepers over the course of our visit with garbage bags full of partially used bottles of detergent. I had never thought about it, but I think a lot of detergent gets left behind ... nobody does enough laundry on vacation to use an entire bottle (do they?) and most people aren't going to bother carting an open bottle of detergent home in their luggage.

we used to leave leftover detergent and softener in the laundry room with a note indicating it was leftover, and feel free to use (the times we didn't have single use packs).
now that we have an owner's locker, we just leave it in there and use it the next time.
love our OL :love:

kid-at-heart
08-26-2011, 05:27 PM
During our recent visit someone left a few bottles water and other unopened items in the VLW elevator with a "free" sign attached. It was my spouse's birthday so he was sure it was left there for him. Thank you. :banana:

keishashadow
08-26-2011, 05:40 PM
During our recent visit someone left a few bottles water and other unopened items in the VLW elevator with a "free sign" attached. It was my spouse's birthday so he was sure it was left there for him. Thank you. :banana:

Aside from you enjoying the BD present;) really not sure leaving anything on a elevator is a good idea:confused3, especially when teaching your kids not to take anything from strangers.

We leave our unused beverages (alcoholic & not) in the room, never thought of donating to bellmen on the way out.:thumbsup2

disneybirds
08-29-2011, 08:12 PM
We tried to give away meals left through the dining plan one time and a CM told me that they couldn't accept it. Glad to know about the unopened items left in the room.

get_us_to_WDW
08-29-2011, 09:25 PM
I was never sure if the room service staff was allowed to keep unused items...so we usually stroll the halls until we find someone just arriving and offer it to them. On one occasion my husband mentioned the the "recipient" that we also had 1/2 full containers of milk, OJ, soda, etc. in the fridge and the gentleman followed him back to our room and took that stuff too!

I wouldn't take opened containers from anyone for obvious reasons, but this fellow must have thought we looked trustworthy! Or he was just really thirsty!:confused3

canopynut66
08-29-2011, 09:37 PM
We checked out yesterday and left behind a case of soda and 8 bottled waters. I put a note on them for housekeeping to keep them. Does anyone know for sure if the CMs are allowed to keep items like this that are purposely left behind at check out? Just wondering if anyone knows for sure if Disney has a "policy" on this type of thing.

we always ask maids or tell them as one year they called us and ask where we wanted the case of water mailed. so since then we have ask if maids want the things left that are unopened or bell services will take them as well:surfweb: