PDA

View Full Version : AKL Value studios?

NHTikiBeckie
08-17-2011, 05:01 PM
Hi all...does anyone know how many AKL/Kidani Value studios there are? Do these tend to book up immediately? Are these rooms 10,000 miles from a bus stop? What is the difference between a value studio and a standard studio?

Thanks in advance!

wildernessDad
08-17-2011, 05:06 PM
There are no value villas at Kidani.

NHTikiBeckie
08-17-2011, 05:09 PM
I wasn't sure, which is why I said AKL. too. I don't mind really if they are in Jambo House or Kidani, more interested in how quickly they book up and what the difference is between them and standard.

erionm
08-17-2011, 05:12 PM
There are a total of 18 value studios. There are 10 2-bedroom lock-offs in the value category so those could be reserved as 10 1-bedrooms and 10 studios. And there are 8 dedicated value studios which don't connect to anything except the hallway. Here's a map of Jambo House and the Values are along the Giraffe and Ostrich Trails.

http://www.parkinfo2go.com/dvc-akv/floor5.php

As for the difference, the Values are approx 3 feet shorter than the other studios in Jambo House. The Values are converted Standard Hotel Rooms and the other JH Vills are converted from Deluxe Hotel Rooms. They are all on the 5th floor. There are also DVC units on the 6th floor of JH, those are Concierge Units and there are 5 2-bedroom lock-offs in that category.

NHTikiBeckie
08-17-2011, 05:16 PM
Thank you! So it is probably safe to say I would need to call RIGHT on my 11 month mark to get 2 of these.

erionm
08-17-2011, 05:18 PM
Thank you! So it is probably safe to say I would need to call RIGHT on my 11 month mark to get 2 of these.

Yes.

NHTikiBeckie
08-17-2011, 05:21 PM
Thanks, this is what I needed to know!

bobbiwoz
08-17-2011, 05:27 PM
They are pretty convenient to the bus stop. I hope you get what you want!

NHTikiBeckie
08-17-2011, 08:55 PM
I love that they are close to the bus stop!

lmshaggard
08-18-2011, 01:25 AM
We stayed in a value studio AKL-J last December and a regular studio at AKL-K last June and we have 2 small children. I did not notice the difference at all and I would book a value again in a heartbeat - especially for the points!!!!

NHTikiBeckie
08-18-2011, 07:30 AM
Great!

bobbiwoz
08-18-2011, 07:45 AM
Value villas let us all spread out bedwise. I've 5 friends joining me in September and I have a 2 bedroom and a studio. Everyone gets their own bed/sleepsofa for relatively few points. I love Jambo house, and when I'm trying to conserve points, I go for the value rooms.

333disneymom
08-18-2011, 07:50 AM

I just booked a value at 8 months out. I was very surprised that it was available. I think the CM was too.

bobbiwoz
08-18-2011, 07:56 AM
I had to waitlist for the value studio I have for September. It came through about 5 months out. Never say never, but I think booking in the home resort priority is a good thing! An additional DF was asked to join us at 7 months out, so that's when I went on the waitlist. At that point, I was able to get a standard view studio at Jambo.

NHTikiBeckie
08-18-2011, 08:04 AM
I am mostly asking because we are buying resale very soon. We were torn between BLT and AKL...but I was leaning towards AKL because we would be able to get TWO value rooms for the points cost of one standard room at BLT (basically). We do plan on bringing family and friends down with us often, so this is really appealing to us. When we go alone, we can hopefully book a room at BLT just so we can experience that, too...but I like having the option to get two rooms at AKL with our points.

hakepb
08-18-2011, 09:34 AM
If you are sure booking AKV value is more important to you than BLT MK view or BLT standard, then I would lean AKV.

With so few rooms, I would prepare to occasionally not find a value room at 11 months because no one else planned to check out on your arrival date.

NHTikiBeckie
08-18-2011, 09:43 AM
If you are sure booking AKV value is more important to you than BLT MK view or BLT standard, then I would lean AKV.

With so few rooms, I would prepare to occasionally not find a value room at 11 months because no one else planned to check out on your arrival date.

Yeah, we like the rooms at both, but originally liked BLT because of the longest contract, lower MF fees, and monorail access. But also like AKL! That is a good point that we occasionally might have a hard time because of when people check out. Luckily we are flexible.

Speaking of booking 11 months out...is it 11 months to the DAY you want to book? So if we wanted October 1st, we would have to call on November 1st, right?

erionm
08-18-2011, 09:48 AM
Speaking of booking 11 months out...is it 11 months to the DAY you want to book? So if we wanted October 1st, we would have to call on November 1st, right?

Correct, 11 months from check-in date.

There are exceptions when dealing with end of month check-in dates. If you wanted to check-in on the 31th and the month your 11/7 month window opens only has 30 days (or less if Feb), your call in date would be moved the 1st of the next month.

NHTikiBeckie
08-18-2011, 12:29 PM
You are all so helpful, thank you!

supersuperwendy
08-18-2011, 09:30 PM
We bought AKV because of the awesome point chart. We have a value 2 bedroom booked for our next two trips and I booked them at the 11 month window. Last year I was able to get a concierge 2 bedroom too at the 11 month window! I love being able to splurge or save points there!!!!

NHTikiBeckie
08-18-2011, 10:22 PM
We bought AKV because of the awesome point chart. We have a value 2 bedroom booked for our next two trips and I booked them at the 11 month window. Last year I was able to get a concierge 2 bedroom too at the 11 month window! I love being able to splurge or save points there!!!!

That is exactly why we are buying there!

Brandis
08-19-2011, 05:45 AM
An added bonus of the value rooms is that if you are lucky you might even get a Savannah view.

Last year, I was able to book one during the F&G festival at Epcot only 2 months out, was quite surprised.

I actually preferred the room layout to the regular studio over at Kidani, it was nice to have the sink outside the bathroom. Also liked the african map wallpaper.

Simba's Mom
08-19-2011, 08:32 AM
An added bonus of the value rooms is that if you are lucky you might even get a Savannah view.

Actually, the best savannah view I've ever had was from a value studio. And that's considering that I've had 2 savannah view studios. I've booked a value studio next month, and I've really got my fingers crossed that I'll get the same view. But if I don't, oh well. Just think of all the points I'm saving!

Steamboat Girlie
08-19-2011, 08:53 AM
I also like the standard views at Jambo because they are all pool view. So if you aren't lucky enough to snag value category, you can still save points and have a really nice view of the pool and not have to look at a parking lot. I think AKV is great because of the various options. You can splurge, and do CL or be really point frugal and do value. Win Win! LOVE MY AKV!!!

hakepb
08-19-2011, 08:54 AM
You can no longer request a view from a value room.
But I think I have heard a mention that all value dedicated studios have a savanna view, and you can still request a dedicated studio...

bobbiwoz
08-19-2011, 09:03 AM
But I think I have heard a mention that all value dedicated studios have a savanna view, and you can still request a dedicated studio...

They used to have dedicated as a type of value studio on your reservation, they don't do that any more. I have heard that people can request specific room numbers.

Simba's Mom
08-19-2011, 12:49 PM

The way I got around it was to request a specific value villa that I knew was savannah view. I tried requesting a savannah view, but the CM told me they didn't accept that. However, when I asked if I could request a specific #, she kind of laughed and said that was fine. I realize that that's not a great way to guarantee a savannah view at all, but at least I asked. Now we'll just have to wait another 34 days and see what I get. Either way the points are low.

mort1331
08-26-2013, 07:32 PM
[QUOTE=erionm;42290037]There are a total of 18 value studios. There are 10 2-bedroom lock-offs in the value category so those could be reserved as 10 1-bedrooms and 10 studios. And there are 8 dedicated value studios which don't connect to anything except the hallway. Here's a map of Jambo House and the Values are along the Giraffe and Ostrich Trails.

So going from the map,,are all the dedicated studios savanna views? if I see it correct.:thumbsup2

chalee94
08-26-2013, 07:41 PM
[QUOTE=erionm;42290037]There are a total of 18 value studios. There are 10 2-bedroom lock-offs in the value category so those could be reserved as 10 1-bedrooms and 10 studios. And there are 8 dedicated value studios which don't connect to anything except the hallway. Here's a map of Jambo House and the Values are along the Giraffe and Ostrich Trails.

So going from the map,,are all the dedicated studios savanna views? if I see it correct.:thumbsup2

They used to have dedicated as a type of value studio on your reservation, they don't do that any more. I have heard that people can request specific room numbers.

if you book a value room, you take your chances. chances are low for getting a parking lot view, but someone has to get them...

ToddyLu
08-26-2013, 09:34 PM
:) Booked 2 value studios at 11 months 8am on the dot (or whatever time MS opened) for Nov 2012. I just posted those views on a similar thread a few minutes ago.

Now that there is online booking I had two screens pulled up at once and got 2 value studios for this Nov and again for May. When that clock rolled around at 11 months I had them.

I checked back a few days afterward and there was one (at least) still available.

We do not have children and love taking my parents and MIL and giving them their on space....they never complain about going to Disney with us.

Since we skipped May this year, we have enough points coming in 2014 to book a fall trip with just DH and I. When we are no longer able to take our parents then we will splurge on a 1 bedroom but for now studios are fine.

NHTikiBeckie
08-26-2013, 09:49 PM
:) Booked 2 value studios at 11 months 8am on the dot (or whatever time MS opened) for Nov 2012. I just posted those views on a similar thread a few minutes ago.

Now that there is online booking I had two screens pulled up at once and got 2 value studios for this Nov and again for May. When that clock rolled around at 11 months I had them.

I checked back a few days afterward and there was one (at least) still available.

We do not have children and love taking my parents and MIL and giving them their on space....they never complain about going to Disney with us.

Since we skipped May this year, we have enough points coming in 2014 to book a fall trip with just DH and I. When we are no longer able to take our parents then we will splurge on a 1 bedroom but for now studios are fine.

I'm happy to see this post because we will be booking two values at the same time during the same month and I have been so worried about being able to get two...good to know it is possible ;)

ToddyLu
08-26-2013, 10:04 PM
:) So glad to know my post helped. Now don't book the same week as me and nobody gets hurt.....:rotfl2:

Have a great trip and you are special to be sharing this treat with your family and friends.

Docmom
08-26-2013, 10:48 PM
Looking at the map it looks like Ostrich trail rooms are savannah and parking lot views while giraffe trail are pool views. Do they let you choose Ostrich vs Giraffe? If you can request a specific room which would be better closer to the lobby or the farther rooms? We booked a few days in a value 2BR for DD's 11 birthday in March...first time booking value and I'm a bit nervous. Loved the 1BR savannah view we had in May but can't beat the lower points for a value room.

LisaS
08-26-2013, 11:21 PM
So going from the map,,are all the dedicated studios savanna views? if I see it correct.:thumbsup2There are eight dedicated studios in the Value category. Four of them face the Sunset Savanna, the other four face the pool area. Back when the dedicated studios were a separate booking category, people booked a dedicated studio to avoid the parking lot view.

the who #3
08-27-2013, 10:05 AM
both resorts are fantastic.:thumbsup2

if you ever want club level you must res. at the 11 month window otherwise you will never get it.

all other dvc rooms in jambo house are pretty far from the buses. those halls are really long.:rolleyes2

kidani is one of 2 dvc buildings (blt is the other) that has 2 bathrooms in a 1br instead of 1. that is a big blessing for a large family. we are lucky enough to own at both.

akl has really great restaurants and also the most beautiful christmas decorations, if you are there at christmas. pixiedust: also mickey, minnie, goofy and donald are usually there around dinner time for pictures at the big tree. also santa!