PDA

View Full Version : DVC Announces New Leader

WilsonFlyer
08-15-2011, 08:47 PM
Per an e-mail just mailed to members.

Global Sales Leader Claire Bilby Named to Top Disney Vacation Club Role

Disney Vacation Club is pleased to welcome seasoned Disney leader Claire Bilby as its new Senior Vice President, with responsibility for all aspects of the business.

Claire succeeds Jim Lewis, who left the company after serving as its president since 2006.

Claire has a distinguished history with Disney, starting in marketing at Walt Disney World Resort in 1988 and taking increasing levels of executive responsibility with the company in Florida, California and around the globe.

She recently served as Senior Vice President of Distribution Marketing and Asia Pacific Sales for Walt Disney Parks and Resorts. Among her responsibilities were leading all sales channel marketing for Walt Disney World Resort, Disneyland Resort, Disney Cruise Line, Walt Disney Travel Company, Adventures by Disney and Disney Institute. She also served as the top sales leader for Disney Destinations' Asia Pacific Region, with responsibilities for Hong Kong Disneyland, Disney's regional sales office in Tokyo and sales offices in Australia and China. Most recently, Claire led the sales organization at Disneyland Resort Paris on a temporary assignment.

"Claire brings to Disney Vacation Club an impressive track record in global sales, as well as an inspirational leadership style and innovative thinking," said Karl L. Holz, President of New Vacation Operations and Disney Cruise Line, and whose responsibilities include Disney Vacation Club.

Claire's many accomplishments include helping to launch several Disney theme parks and serving as a key leader in the milestone 50th anniversary celebration for Disneyland Resort.

mjc2003
08-15-2011, 08:51 PM
Claire Bilby? Global Sales Leader. Anybody familiar with her?

Deb & Bill
08-15-2011, 08:54 PM
From: http://www.disneydestinationstradenews.com/Disneyland/Claire_Bilby.cfm

Claire Bilby
Senior Vice President
Sales & Distribution Marketing

Claire Bilby leads the distribution marketing efforts for the sales channels of Walt Disney World Resort in Orlando, Florida; Disneyland Resort in Anaheim, California; Hong Kong Disneyland; Disney Cruise Line; the Disney Institute; and Adventures by Disney. She serves as the sales leader for Disney’s Destination’s Asia Pacific Region, with overall responsibilities for Hong Kong Disneyland, Disney’s regional sales office in Tokyo and its sales offices in Australia and China. She also oversees General Sales Agent offices located in Korea, Taiwan and India.

A seasoned Disney Cast Member, she started her Walt Disney Parks and Resorts career in Orlando in 1988, and then moved to the Disneyland Resort ten years later where she became senior vice president of sales and distribution marketing.

In 2009, she relocated to Orlando to assume the role she now performs. Her distribution marketing team currently develops sales channel marketing strategies for the travel industry, the groups and conventions/meetings industry, military sales, youth sales, wedding sales, and internet sales. Her team also serves as the trade marketing function for the Walt Disney Travel Company, Disney’s wholly-owned travel subsidiary.

Bilby has an impressive depth of experience and leadership in worldwide sales and marketing. She has helped launch several new Disney theme parks, including Hong Kong Disneyland. She also helped to open Disney’s MGM Studios (now called Disney’s Hollywood Studios), Disneyland Paris, Disney’s Animal Kingdom and Disney’s California Adventure park, and was instrumental in developing a successful 50th anniversary celebration for Disney’s first theme park, Disneyland, in Southern California.

Prior to joining Disney, Claire was regional marketing manager of Hertz’s Corporation’s Southeast U.S. region, where she implemented new product offers and developed new business relationships with hotels, airlines and convention bureaus. Bilby is based at the Walt Disney Parks & Resorts sales and marketing offices in Celebration, Florida.

Prior to joining Disney, Claire was regional marketing manager of Hertz’s Corporation’s Southeast U.S. region, where she implemented new product offers and developed new business relationships with hotels, airlines and convention bureaus.

Bilby is based at the Walt Disney Parks & Resorts sales and marketing offices in Celebration, Florida.

Belle & Ariel
08-15-2011, 08:56 PM
From: http://www.disneydestinationstradenews.com/Disneyland/Claire_Bilby.cfm

Claire Bilby
Senior Vice President
Sales & Distribution Marketing

Claire Bilby leads the distribution marketing efforts for the sales channels of Walt Disney World Resort in Orlando, Florida; Disneyland Resort in Anaheim, California; Hong Kong Disneyland; Disney Cruise Line; the Disney Institute; and Adventures by Disney. She serves as the sales leader for Disney’s Destination’s Asia Pacific Region, with overall responsibilities for Hong Kong Disneyland, Disney’s regional sales office in Tokyo and its sales offices in Australia and China. She also oversees General Sales Agent offices located in Korea, Taiwan and India.

A seasoned Disney Cast Member, she started her Walt Disney Parks and Resorts career in Orlando in 1988, and then moved to the Disneyland Resort ten years later where she became senior vice president of sales and distribution marketing.

In 2009, she relocated to Orlando to assume the role she now performs. Her distribution marketing team currently develops sales channel marketing strategies for the travel industry, the groups and conventions/meetings industry, military sales, youth sales, wedding sales, and internet sales. Her team also serves as the trade marketing function for the Walt Disney Travel Company, Disney’s wholly-owned travel subsidiary.

Bilby has an impressive depth of experience and leadership in worldwide sales and marketing. She has helped launch several new Disney theme parks, including Hong Kong Disneyland. She also helped to open Disney’s MGM Studios (now called Disney’s Hollywood Studios), Disneyland Paris, Disney’s Animal Kingdom and Disney’s California Adventure park, and was instrumental in developing a successful 50th anniversary celebration for Disney’s first theme park, Disneyland, in Southern California.

Prior to joining Disney, Claire was regional marketing manager of Hertz’s Corporation’s Southeast U.S. region, where she implemented new product offers and developed new business relationships with hotels, airlines and convention bureaus. Bilby is based at the Walt Disney Parks & Resorts sales and marketing offices in Celebration, Florida.

Prior to joining Disney, Claire was regional marketing manager of Hertz’s Corporation’s Southeast U.S. region, where she implemented new product offers and developed new business relationships with hotels, airlines and convention bureaus.

Bilby is based at the Walt Disney Parks & Resorts sales and marketing offices in Celebration, Florida.

I immediately thought of you when I got the email on this. Is there dancing in the streets?

dis-happy
08-15-2011, 08:58 PM
Sounds like her expertise is marketing. Lovely.

palhockeymomof2
08-15-2011, 09:01 PM
Yep just got the email as well

Deb & Bill
08-15-2011, 09:02 PM
I immediately thought of you when I got the email on this. Is there dancing in the streets?

We'll see.

nu2dvc
08-15-2011, 09:04 PM
popcorn::

DaveH
08-15-2011, 09:06 PM
I wonder if we will get more sales pitches now? I am at wait and see mode. Hopefully some good changes take place. No all changes are bad even under Jim Lewis.

Sammie
08-15-2011, 09:07 PM
Well I for one am are pleased they emailed us the news. That is an improvement.

Two, I think a woman is a good change. :thumbsup2

Dizny Dad
08-15-2011, 09:09 PM
Hi Ho, Hi Ho, so off to work she goes . . . .

TIGGERmetoo
08-15-2011, 09:12 PM
It didn't take them long to announce the replacement for Jim Lewis. Any thoughts?

YourEveryDayAdam
08-15-2011, 09:15 PM
I just received this e-mail from DVC:

Global Sales Leader Claire Bilby Named to Top Disney Vacation Club Role

Disney Vacation Club is pleased to welcome seasoned Disney leader Claire Bilby as its new Senior Vice President, with responsibility for all aspects of the business.

Claire succeeds Jim Lewis, who left the company after serving as its president since 2006.

Claire has a distinguished history with Disney, starting in marketing at Walt Disney World Resort in 1988 and taking increasing levels of executive responsibility with the company in Florida, California and around the globe.

She recently served as Senior Vice President of Distribution Marketing and Asia Pacific Sales for Walt Disney Parks and Resorts. Among her responsibilities were leading all sales channel marketing for Walt Disney World Resort, Disneyland Resort, Disney Cruise Line, Walt Disney Travel Company, Adventures by Disney and Disney Institute. She also served as the top sales leader for Disney Destinations' Asia Pacific Region, with responsibilities for Hong Kong Disneyland, Disney's regional sales office in Tokyo and sales offices in Australia and China. Most recently, Claire led the sales organization at Disneyland Resort Paris on a temporary assignment.

"Claire brings to Disney Vacation Club an impressive track record in global sales, as well as an inspirational leadership style and innovative thinking," said Karl L. Holz, President of New Vacation Operations and Disney Cruise Line, and whose responsibilities include Disney Vacation Club.

Claire's many accomplishments include helping to launch several Disney theme parks and serving as a key leader in the milestone 50th anniversary celebration for Disneyland Resort.

Mouse511
08-15-2011, 09:19 PM
First positive step - quick and effective communication....lets see how it goes from here....

Cap
08-15-2011, 09:21 PM
So she is going to be a "Senior Vice President", while Lewis was a "President". Is this room to grow, the prior management reorganization, or just some title and salary downsizing?

Steve@BWV
08-15-2011, 09:22 PM
Sounds like her expertise is marketing. Lovely.

That was my first thought as well. But at least she will understand word of mouth is the best advertising. Keeping the customers happy will drive sales better than any marketing scheme will.

Ryansdad0727
08-15-2011, 09:26 PM
If she is a good leader and manager she will get everyone on the same page.. Letting everyone know who is in charge is, as Mouse511 said, a very positive step. Hopefully she will be as passionate about customer service as she has been about the marketing aspect.

Mister Incredible
08-15-2011, 09:26 PM
Actually her background looked more sales than marketing, just wondering about her Customer Service background.

ericamcl
08-15-2011, 09:39 PM
Well I for one am are pleased they emailed us the news. That is an improvement.

Two, I think a woman is a good change. :thumbsup2

I was telling my DH about this earlier this evening and told him I though that putting a woman in charge might not be such a bad thing....he just rolled his eyes at me ;)

ETA: I just checked and I haven't received any email from DVC as of yet....I'm just going by what my fellow DVCers have been posting on the boards

jodifla
08-15-2011, 09:42 PM
getting an email about what's going on at DVC is pretty darned shocking! I'll hold a good thought that she's better than he was.

ospopo5
08-15-2011, 09:48 PM
So she is going to be a "Senior Vice President", while Lewis was a "President". Is this room to grow, the prior management reorganization, or just some title and salary downsizing?

I was wondering the same thing....

FigmentLady
08-15-2011, 09:57 PM
I have not gotten this email, but im glad they are communicating with some of the members.

WDWLVR
08-15-2011, 10:03 PM

I was wondering the same thing....

When Jim Lewis started he was Vice President (or maybe Sr. Vice President). it was 3-4 years before he was named President of DVC.

I agree that getting an e-mail out to the members (many of whom probably didn't even know what happened) is a great first start. The one area I thought went down under Jim Lewis was communication.

Graydon
08-15-2011, 10:25 PM
Very happy to hear about this.

DisneyBill
08-15-2011, 10:36 PM
Okay, everyone can now breathe a huge sigh of relief. Having broken the news on Jim's departure I can provide testimony on the caliber of a leader Claire is.

First she is a no-nonsense kind of person - she is fair, educated, personable and really doesn't come with any personal agenda's as I have seen in the years I have known her.

She is Guest and Cast focused while keeping a saavy eye on the bottom line. In all that I have seen her do - she keeps her cool and delivers exceptional results on every project she's touched.

Members will be very happy and proud to have someone of her dedication and commitment leading DVC into 2012 and beyond.

Get ready to ENJOY THE RIDE!:yay::yay::yay:

Great to read this post! :banana:

Perhaps her first order of business will be repair dvcmember.com so a member can sign on.

mckryan
08-15-2011, 10:41 PM
Okay, everyone can now breathe a huge sigh of relief. Having broken the news on Jim's departure I can provide testimony on the caliber of a leader Claire is.

First she is a no-nonsense kind of person - she is fair, educated, personable and really doesn't come with any personal agenda's as I have seen in the years I have known her.

She is Guest and Cast focused while keeping a saavy eye on the bottom line. In all that I have seen her do - she keeps her cool and delivers exceptional results on every project she's touched.

Members will be very happy and proud to have someone of her dedication and commitment leading DVC into 2012 and beyond.

Glad to have your input on the successor! Excited to see what the future holds for DVC!

Sammie
08-15-2011, 10:43 PM

Perhaps her first order of business will be repair dvcmember.com so a member can sign on.

Bill I am not having any problem, you probably need to call tech if you are.

curtdennis
08-15-2011, 10:53 PM
I wonder if we will get more sales pitches now? I am at wait and see mode. Hopefully some good changes take place. No all changes are bad even under Jim Lewis.

DVC will get not another dime from me until they get rid of the bull **** booking fee for other resorts on property!! I can park my own car, I can pay (nearly resident rates for an AP) but I will be DAMNED if I am going to pay extra to stay in a Disney resort room when there is NO AVAILABILITY at a DVC resort because THEY have over sold!

Good riddance Mr. Lewis - Are you listening Ms. Bilby???:mic:

DisneyBill
08-15-2011, 11:01 PM
Bill I am not having any problem, you probably need to call tech if you are.

Thanks:thumbsup2, your reply made me try using Internet Explorer. That worked. Although I've only used Firefox for years and years.

Sammie
08-15-2011, 11:03 PM
DVC will get not another dime from me until they get rid of the bull **** booking fee for other resorts on property!! I can park my own car, I can pay (nearly resident rates for an AP) but I will be DAMNED if I am going to pay extra to stay in a Disney resort room when there is NO AVAILABILITY at a DVC resort because THEY have over sold!

You do know that the fee to the Disney resorts is not something DVC has control over, that is Disney Resorts.

debbieandroo
08-15-2011, 11:04 PM

Whew, it's wonderful to read such a glowing endorsement from someone who knows what he's talking about. It'll be interesting to see what lies ahead.

Thanks! :thumbsup2:thumbsup2

And thank you for all of your hard work to make WDW such a magical place....it does make a difference.

Sammie
08-15-2011, 11:05 PM
Thanks:thumbsup2, your reply made me try using Internet Explorer. That worked. Although I've only used Firefox for years and years.

Your welcome, sometimes those browsers can be kinda quirky. :thumbsup2

mjtm610
08-15-2011, 11:07 PM

One can only hope. Maybe if we wish upon a star.....
I'm glad to hear your input. Thanks for the insite

twinklebug
08-15-2011, 11:11 PM

I haven't had any issues with DVCmember.com - my system automatically signs me in every morning. Make sure you're signed out of all of Disney's afflilate websites and log in. If that doesn't work clear the browser cookies.

I hope Claire Bilby brings Disney's philosophies to to the table and can turn a profit for the company without shrink wrapping the experience. Tall order, but I get the feeling she's the right one for the task. :wizard:

(IMHO, Devy Cee and that new logo need to go too - we loved the old one, bring it back.)

nu2dvc
08-15-2011, 11:19 PM
Glad to hear "Graydon's" glowing endorsement. Now I'm excited. Can't wait to see what new life Ms. Bilby will breathe into the DVC. This is exciting!!

disneynutz
08-15-2011, 11:27 PM
Before we get too excited, is she the one responsible for the cheap "made in China" crap that Disney is now selling? What about the switch to generic merchandise which is sold at all parks and resorts? The closing and selling off of the Disney stores and then buying them back and re-opening them?

:earsboy: Bill

Deb & Bill
08-15-2011, 11:30 PM
... I can park my own car, I can pay (nearly resident rates for an AP) but I will be DAMNED if I am going to pay extra to stay in a Disney resort room when there is NO AVAILABILITY at a DVC resort because THEY have over sold!

They cannot oversell a resort. It's just that other members want to go the same time as you do. If you had a traditional week timeshare, the same amount would be sold, only you would be locked into a specific week. When you have points that you can use anytime of the year, you get times when lots of people want to go and times when not so many people want to go.

Maybe Ms Bilby will have a better way of explaining it. That's the best I can do.

dallastxcpa
08-15-2011, 11:35 PM
Before we get too excited, is she the one responsible for the cheap "made in China" crap that Disney is now selling? What about the switch to generic merchandise which is sold at all parks and resorts? The closing and selling off of the Disney stores and then buying them back and re-opening them?

From the way I read it, she has been in charge of distribution and marketing of the travel package ie getting guests to book a disney stay. I didn't think it said anything about her being in charge of merchandising. :confused3

Sammie
08-15-2011, 11:37 PM

Unless you know this to be true, why in the world would you insinuate such. Do we have to discredit someone before we even see what type of leadership she will present.

I like the resort specific merchandise as much as anyone but if you went to any of the outlets you would always find plenty of resort and dvc merchandise, so obviously it was not selling.

DonnaL
08-15-2011, 11:40 PM
Sounds like great news, folks.....however, I have not as yet received the email that some folks have. And, yes, DVC does have my email address.....I've received other communications from them......not recently, but, my email hasn't changed either.

PamMulan
08-15-2011, 11:41 PM
:thanks:Thank you for everyone posting their opinions (it opened my eyes :earseek: to things I hadn't noticed) and for everyone "in the know" posting their views (to give us the information :hyper2: we didn't know). This has certainly been educational :teacher: and interesting.

disneynutz
08-16-2011, 01:35 AM
Unless you know this to be true, why in the world would you insinuate such. Do we have to discredit someone before we even see what type of leadership she will present.

I like the resort specific merchandise as much as anyone but if you went to any of the outlets you would always find plenty of resort and dvc merchandise, so obviously it was not selling.

I'm not trying to discredit her, I am simply asking if retail merchandise was part of her previous responsibilities. IMO Disney's retail merchandise is not the quality that it once was and based on other peoples comments, I don't feel that my opinion is incorrect. People usually don't change and you can pretty much bet that future performance will be similar to past performance.

Just trying to get a feel of who we are dealing with and hoping that she can make the DVC so popular that resale prices double, new resorts are sold by lottery, and that each member never has to deal with negative DVC issues while on vacation again.

DizDays
08-16-2011, 01:40 AM
This sounds like a solid step in the right direction. I'm excited to see what Ms. Bilby will bring to DVC. She will clearly have a lot on her plate, but I hope she makes a little time to read the DISboards!! I'm sure she'll learn a lot. :)

Inkmahm
08-16-2011, 02:15 AM
This sounds like a solid step in the right direction. I'm excited to see what Ms. Bilby will bring to DVC. She will clearly have a lot on her plate, but I hope she makes a little time to read the DISboards!! I'm sure she'll learn a lot. :)

I agree! I like reading positive things about her from someone who knows her. I hope she will read the DIS boards, too. You're right, she could learn a lot!

SusieBea
08-16-2011, 05:52 AM

Beth
08-16-2011, 06:01 AM
More info on Lewis' departure is the front-page-story on OrlandoSentinel.com this morning!:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/the-daily-disney/os-disney-time-share-trouble-20110815,0,4646293.story

ML_LovesDisney
08-16-2011, 06:38 AM
More info on Lewis' departure is the front-page-story on OrlandoSentinel.com this morning!:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/the-daily-disney/os-disney-time-share-trouble-20110815,0,4646293.story

Wow, if $4.31 for dues at Aulani per point is too low for a brand new resort (and would cause all this drama), I can only wonder what they will be raised to! BLT is $3.90 currently and AKV $5.02 (my home resorts). I can't wait to see how this plays out....

CMOORE185
08-16-2011, 07:16 AM
Interesting thing about the dues, "buyers who have already purchased points in Aulani will get a credit toward their annual dues equal to the difference between the original quoted amount and whatever higher price Disney sets now". Does this mean the original owners dues will be permanently lower than someone who buys after adjustment?

WilsonFlyer
08-16-2011, 07:48 AM
Interesting thing about the dues, "buyers who have already purchased points in Aulani will get a credit toward their annual dues equal to the difference between the original quoted amount and whatever higher price Disney sets now". Does this mean the original owners dues will be permanently lower than someone who buys after adjustment?

I interpret it to mean (for example) if the first year's assessment was, say, $5.00/point and it is deemed it should have been $6.00, DVD will eat the $1.00 difference for the first year. After that, dues to members will be what they are. If next year is $7.00, that's what you'll pay.

BigEeyore
08-16-2011, 08:04 AM
WOW - that article is stunning! I can't believe they have halted sales until they figure out what to do about the maintenance fees - they have been pushing Aulani hard for months, and now if you call and say you want to buy they are going to tell you they won't sell Aulani points until who knows when? It just seems very disorganized and panicked - not presenting a very good image of DVC. Just wow.

nunzia
08-16-2011, 08:14 AM

Huh? I don't think they have oversold..that would be a much bigger legal deal than underestimating dues...at any one time places will book up..they don't guarantee you a room at any time you wish.
That said, there is no $95 fee at the resort hotels of DLR..nice perk there and hope that stays.

nunzia
08-16-2011, 08:16 AM
When Jim Lewis started he was Vice President (or maybe Sr. Vice President). it was 3-4 years before he was named President of DVC.

I agree that getting an e-mail out to the members (many of whom probably didn't even know what happened) is a great first start. The one area I thought went down under Jim Lewis was communication.

Yes. but it looks like they have been doing restructuring, putting Karl Holz over so many divisions, so maybe that title left with Mr. Lewis.

Ramsfan28
08-16-2011, 08:21 AM
I was telling my DH about this earlier this evening and told him I though that putting a woman in charge might not be such a bad thing....he just rolled his eyes at me ;)

ETA: I just checked and I haven't received any email from DVC as of yet....I'm just going by what my fellow DVCers have been posting on the boards

I am curious why some think DVC needs a woman?

I don't think having a woman in charge will do anything different than a man if it is the right person.

Man or woman, I could care less - I just want the best person to lead DVC.

nytimez
08-16-2011, 08:28 AM
I interpret it to mean (for example) if the first year's assessment was, say, $5.00/point and it is deemed it should have been $6.00, DVD will eat the $1.00 difference for the first year. After that, dues to members will be what they are. If next year is $7.00, that's what you'll pay.

Someone posted in the other threat that they emailed the Sentinel writer, who clarified that the credit will carry forward.

I can't see why they wouldn't try to equalize the dues over the years, though, but maybe there is some other provision that prevents them from doing so.

nolanboys
08-16-2011, 08:37 AM
As a newer member (we bought resale last spring), we are still in the honeymoon stage of owning DVC. I don't know much about JL but have been actively reading all the posts about his departure. I did receive the email about his successor last night and was pleased that they got the announcement out in a timely manner. I wish her luck and hope that she takes advantage of one of their best forms of advertising - a happy owner.

sssteele
08-16-2011, 09:00 AM
It's very unlikely that our new leader had anything to do with "souvenir" merchandising. But, I have to comment on it anyway. Did anybody else see the ABC Evening News series "Made in America"? In essence, it encouraged Americans to buy American-made goods based on the statistic that if every American spent a dollar more on American-made goods, it would create 10,000 (?-not positive about this number) new American jobs. Supreme irony - ABC being a subsidiary of the Walt Disney Company.

nu2dvc
08-16-2011, 09:02 AM
I thought it was interesting that today's Sentinal article states that JL did NOT receive a severance package as part of his dismissal. I know some where concerned about that, and ultimately where the monies would be pulled from...

JandD Mom
08-16-2011, 09:22 AM
I thought it was interesting that today's Sentinal article states that JL did NOT receive a severance package as part of his dismissal. I know some where concerned about that, and ultimately where the monies would be pulled from...

I can't wait to see how this shakes out. Large companies such as Disney do not fire several highly-paid executives for an unintentional accounting mistake without giving severance. The purpose of severance is to get a release and waiver of claims so the company does not get sued. The only reason the company does not worry about getting this is if the employees are fired for cause, ie, they've done something that is more than just a mistake.

Were JL and his buddies misrepresenting the cost knowing they can cut costs on the project to save some money, and also increase dues later? Did they discover the error and attempt to hide it and mislead company execs and regulators? Or was this just the last straw of something bigger? Only time will tell.

Mai Ku Tiki
08-16-2011, 09:56 AM
I am curious why some think DVC needs a woman?

I don't think having a woman in charge will do anything different than a man if it is the right person.

Man or woman, I could care less - I just want the best person to lead DVC.

Best WOMAN for the job gets my vote too! It's our only hope of un-doing the 'NOT Key West' decor in the 'refurbished' OKW villas!!! :rotfl:

Seriously, Congrats, Ms. Bilby! :flower3:
Your loyal DVC Members are here to help make your job of selling DVC as easy as pie (as long as we can have FAITH & TRUST that DVC remembers to Mousekeep, upkeep & update our villas & resorts & also to sprinkle PIXIEDUST on your Owner-Members whenever possible!) :tinker:

mommacat56
08-16-2011, 10:57 AM
Someone posted in the other threat that they emailed the Sentinel writer, who clarified that the credit will carry forward.

I can't see why they wouldn't try to equalize the dues over the years, though, but maybe there is some other provision that prevents them from doing so.

It had better carry forward for the length of the CONTRACT, not just for one year! A two-tiered system is clearly possible with the current computer applications and is already in use for VB (?), from what I read here, though I do not own there and have no first-hand knowledge.

I purchased Aulani a few months back, just before they discontinued sales, obviously not knowing any of the problems with the finances we are all just learning about. The stated member dues amount of $4.31/point, clearly outlined in my CONTRACT (legal and binding between me and DVDMC), definitely figured into my decision to purchase.

If they now say that the amount should be double (or more!), that's fraud, pure and simple, especially if it was known to JL and his cronies, which seems clear at this point that he did! Imagine the lawyers lining up at their doorstep!

Now you know why JL and the others got the boot in an unceremonius fashion (and without severence) late on a Friday afternoon! And now we all know why they simply can't "fix" the dues amount at a new level and get on with sales. They are legally bound by the existing CONTRACTS to honor their word!

Thank you GRAYDON (or should we call you DEEP THROAT? :scared1:) for breaking this news!

And welcome to Ms. Bilby! You have a huge job ahead of you to turn this wonderful part of Disney operations around. I have owned since December of 1991 (yes, one of the first believers!) and have never once regretted my purchase (and multiple add-on purchases, direct and resale since then)... Please don't let Aulani be my first!

And please read the DIS regularly... happy owners, like me and many others, are your best assets! And, as you can see, we are totally unafraid to share our opinions openly and regularly, so you can start saving money on the polling...just come by here and sit a spell! :surfweb:
Welcome aboard!

keishashadow
08-16-2011, 11:05 AM
After reading this thread I decided to open our portfolio to see how much we lost last week (don't ask:headache:) and where DIS stock was this am after the DVC shakeup.

I'm not the financial guru in our house, but it appeared as though DIS stock had bounced back after a loss early last week. It's dropping this am (who knows if DVC shakeup has any bearing). Likely my DH will consider it yet another buying opportunity, but i'm going to point out that we have a college tuition bill due in a week:rolleyes1& Merrill-Lynch dropped it from a buy (along with many entertainent stocks).

I'm sure the more savy investors here are aware, but for the casually interested among us, I found a few interesting articles as to how DIS reported earnings in the 2nd quarter but many question their valuation as to actual vs stated cash flow when a cash conversion cycle is utilized.

I'm aware other companies are employing the same sort of creative accounting in recessionary times, but IMO the current DVC dues issue in Alunai should spur the Disney powers-that-be to re-think to their accounting practices across the board.

http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2011/08/15/is-walt-disney-making-you-any-cash.aspx

http://www.dailyfinance.com/2011/08/12/heres-why-walt-disneys-earnings-are-worse-than-the/?source=TheMotleyFool

http://www.dailyfinance.com/2011/08/10/disney-shares-dropped-what-you-need-to-know/

CMOORE185
08-16-2011, 12:19 PM
It had better carry forward for the length of the CONTRACT, not just for one year! A two-tiered system is clearly possible with the current computer applications and is already in use for VB (?), from what I read here, though I do not own there and have no first-hand knowledge.

I purchased Aulani a few months back, just before they discontinued sales, obviously not knowing any of the problems with the finances we are all just learning about. The stated member dues amount of $4.31/point, clearly outlined in my CONTRACT (legal and binding between me and DVDMC), definitely figured into my decision to purchase.

If they now say that the amount should be double (or more!), that's fraud, pure and simple, especially if it was known to JL and his cronies, which seems clear at this point that he did! Imagine the lawyers lining up at their doorstep!

Now you know why JL and the others got the boot in an unceremonius fashion (and without severence) late on a Friday afternoon! And now we all know why they simply can't "fix" the dues amount at a new level and get on with sales. They are legally bound by the existing CONTRACTS to honor their word!

Thank you GRAYDON (or should we call you DEEP THROAT? :scared1:) for breaking this news!

And welcome to Ms. Bilby! You have a huge job ahead of you to turn this wonderful part of Disney operations around. I have owned since December of 1991 (yes, one of the first believers!) and have never once regretted my purchase (and multiple add-on purchases, direct and resale since then)... Please don't let Aulani be my first!

And please read the DIS regularly... happy owners, like me and many others, are your best assets! And, as you can see, we are totally unafraid to share our opinions openly and regularly, so you can start saving money on the polling...just come by here and sit a spell! :surfweb:
Welcome aboard!If the credit is permanent (which I think it should be) that means all new owners with have higher MF's than they should have, because someone has to make up the short fall in dues the original owners are not paying. Knowing this I would never buy their.

mommacat56
08-16-2011, 01:15 PM
If the credit is permanent (which I think it should be) that means all new owners with have higher MF's than they should have, because someone has to make up the short fall in dues the original owners are not paying. Knowing this I would never buy their.

OR, better yet...DVDMC can keep paying the difference (as a "fine" if you will, or just chalk it up to the cost of doing business?), thereby keeping original owners' fees from rising by huge percentages and keeping new owners' dues fair and reasonable. JMHO!

CMOORE185
08-16-2011, 01:22 PM
OR, better yet...DVDMC can keep paying the difference (as a "fine" if you will, or just chalk it up to the cost of doing business?), thereby keeping original owners' fees from rising by huge percentages and keeping new owners' dues fair and reasonable. JMHO!I thought of this, than I said to myself, nah they will never do this. I am sure there will be plenty of new owners that won't even realize some owners pay different MF's than them.

dzorn
08-16-2011, 01:49 PM
Well it is nice to recieve an e-mail communication in a timely fashion, so I guess we are off to a good start.

Denise in MI

aggiemullins
08-16-2011, 02:06 PM
I'm not entirely familiar with Vero Beach's dues, but isn't there 2 different pricing structures for VB, a subsidized and non-subsidized? Isn't it for kind of the same reasons?

Anyone with better knowledge of VB, correct me if I'm wrong, but they miscalculated then too because they originally were going to make VB much larger then its final size. Because of poor sales they greatly reduced the size of VB, changing the MF calculations.

I believe they then created two tiers of MF's for the ones who were lucky enough to have bought before the change and all the rest. Now DVD pays the difference for the length of the contract, I believe. Again, anyone feel free to correct me on my VB history. I do know you can occasionally see a subsidized VB contract come on the market and it's dues are MUCH lower then the non-subsidized.

Perhaps they will do the same here...

SusieBea
08-16-2011, 02:45 PM

Mai Ku Tiki
08-16-2011, 02:47 PM
Yes, that's nice, but they didn't send it to everyone - not such a good start.

I'm still waiting :confused3

CWO4DVC
08-16-2011, 07:29 PM
:confused3By chance are those who received the news from DVC registered at DVCMember.com to receive communications?

tmm09
08-16-2011, 07:39 PM
:confused3By chance are those who received the news from DVC registered at DVCMember.com to receive communications?

I received the email and it came from the same email source that I receive "member perks" emails from...not sure if that is because of DVCmember.com or not. I am registered there.

Mister Incredible
08-16-2011, 07:43 PM
No dancing here, even with the personal references for Claire. Since she has a lower title than Jim, I'm not sure how much influence she will be able to have without a lot of red tape. Here's hoping!! Time will tell.

Mai Ku Tiki
08-16-2011, 08:00 PM
I'm still waiting :confused3

Message received...:goodvibes

hakepb
08-16-2011, 08:13 PM
No dancing here, even with the personal references for Claire. Since she has a lower title than Jim, I'm not sure how much influence she will be able to have without a lot of red tape. Here's hoping!! Time will tell.

The title must be the "Disney way."
Someone earlier said Jim started as DVC head with the same title as Claire now has.

wildernessDad
08-16-2011, 08:28 PM
Well it is nice to recieve an e-mail communication in a timely fashion, so I guess we are off to a good start.

Denise in MI

Not really. I did not receive an email about this.

manning
08-16-2011, 09:12 PM

I can't wait to see how this shakes out. Large companies such as Disney do not fire several highly-paid executives for an unintentional accounting mistake without giving severance. The purpose of severance is to get a release and waiver of claims so the company does not get sued. The only reason the company does not worry about getting this is if the employees are fired for cause, ie, they've done something that is more than just a mistake.

Were JL and his buddies misrepresenting the cost knowing they can cut costs on the project to save some money, and also increase dues later? Did they discover the error and attempt to hide it and mislead company execs and regulators? Or was this just the last straw of something bigger? Only time will tell.

I'm was't an auditor but worked with auditing on several audits. I had computer skills to pull reports they needed. I worked for a LARGE company and can say when they nailed someone they stayed nailed. They are uncanny. The very first time my section got audited within a half day he told me I was being set up by my boss. Six months later the boss was walked out.

If something happened it is big.

stitchineeyore
08-17-2011, 08:28 AM
Not really. I did not receive an email about this.

I didn't either.:confused: Wouldn't know anything about the goings on of the last few days if not for the Dis folks!:)

Dziactor
08-17-2011, 08:36 AM
I didn't get the email.

smjj
08-17-2011, 08:43 AM
Ahhhh improvements already. The DVC sign-in has new music and the logo on the sign-in page is no-longer fuzzy!!!!:rotfl2::rotfl2:smjj

jstarcze
08-17-2011, 05:20 PM
I never got the e-mail! :confused3

dvcbrad
08-17-2011, 10:11 PM
No email here either. Maybe this ought to be one of her first issues to address ... the inconsistent distribution of information to members! It seems like a lot fell apart under Lewis. Hopefully some things will get fixed moving forward.

mckryan
08-17-2011, 10:16 PM
I didn't get an email either, but then again, I haven't received any DVC emails since February. I called MS yesterday and they had two different emails for me, and one was totally wrong. So, they are trying to clear that up.

I am hoping that the ship gets righted now that Lewis is gone, but it's going to take some time.

Sammie
08-17-2011, 10:57 PM
For those not receiving emails, first go to the member site and re-register for DVC news emails. You have to register to get them, even if Member Services has your email listed. It is listed under DVC News, there is a link on the upper left corner of the news page.

Then if that does not work, contact MS.

Be sure you have added the DVC mailing address to your email system so it will accept them.

Also check your spam folder.