View Full Version : May Have to Cancel....

05-06-2001, 12:03 PM
I may have to cancel my trip for DIS-CON. I will not know for sure until June 6 but it is not looking good.

This winter my DH was told that he needed to have his wisdom teeth removed sometime in the future. They were not bothering him so we figured we had some time and we tenatively planned for this to be done early next year. Now they have really started to bother him so he has a consultation with the oral surgeon on June 6 to see if he has to get them out this summer.

What does this have to do with DIS-CON? Well if he has the surgery I have to use vacation for 2 days to take care of him. Because of the timing of the convention and the timing of when I earn vacation if I take even 1/2 day off this summer I will not have the vacation to take for the DIS-CON. :(

I will just have to wait and see.....

05-06-2001, 02:15 PM
Becka, that is too bad! There's no one else that could stay with him that day??
When I had my wisdom teeth out, I only needed someone to bring me there, pick me up, and pick up my prescriptions and extra gauze (they don't give you enough). I was able to take care of myself...but I think that is the exception.
Let us know what happens...

05-06-2001, 05:17 PM
Unfortunately we do not live close to family so there is no one else.

I will have to take at least a 1/2 just to drive him to and from the appointment and if his recovery is anything like mine he will need me around for at least 1 extra day. I have had 8 teeth pulled in the past 7 months preparing for braces and he was always there to take such good care of me that I cannot short change him.

Turkey Leg Connoisseur
05-06-2001, 07:19 PM
Becka, I hope that you don't have to end up canceling. If you do have to cancel, just remember that there's always next year. That is, of course, unless we wear out our welcome with Pete. ;)

Good luck to your hubby. If he has to have it done, I hope it goes really smooth.

05-07-2001, 11:19 PM
Say it isn't so. :(

That's very nice of you and your DH to be there for eachother in times of need....but this is THE convention at stake here!!!! Puh---leeeeeease! :eek: Can't you steal a sick day or something???


I just wish we all didn't have to make these difficult, grown-up decisions. :rolleyes:

I really hope that it all works out for you. Keeping fingers crossed for good news on June 6th. :) :) :)


05-09-2001, 10:32 AM
Becka - isn't there ANY way your DH could get a Friday afternoon appointment and have a friend drive him there? Then you could pick him up afterwards, and nurse him over the weekend. It seems odd that your employer would deny you vacation time in November for taking even 1/2 day in the summer.

05-09-2001, 12:15 PM
The oral surgeon does not work on Friday :rolleyes: unless an emergency so that is out.

My employer does not deny me the right to take vacation in November if I use it during the summer but it has to do with the amount of vacation and the timing of when I earn it. I earn vacation on the first weeks of June and December. In order to take the days the last week of November they have to come out of my days earned in June. I have a family wedding this summer so that automatically uses any "bubble" days I would have left. I would have the exact number I needed left. If I take even a 1/2 day that leaves me 1/2 day short.

I really do wish it would work out differently but I can't miss my sister's wedding and I have to take care of DH so I will just have to do my best.

Unless of course we postpone the convention until the first week of December? ;)

05-09-2001, 03:37 PM
The convention runs into the first week of December so maybe if you talk to your employer you can work something out. I'll keep my fingers crossed.