PDA

View Full Version : "New" Disney rewards Visa card?

tkitty
07-26-2011, 12:15 AM
Did anyone else get the survey from Chase Disney Rewards Visa in an email?
It sounds like they are thinling of someday offering an upgrade to your Disney Visa card. The new card would have a yearly fee (they used $49 as an example). With this card you would eard double points on things like gas and groceries (don't recall what else), other purchases will still be 1 point.
The offer could also include 5x points for the first 3 monthes on gas and groceries. Another perk could be a credit back to your account when buying airfare.
They would still offer the interest free on Disney Vacations for 6 months. The park perks are also the same.
They asked how likely I would be to switch- you betcha..:goodvibes
Oh and the new card designs were so cute!
I hope this comes to pass. I might be just in time to help me with my 2012 vacation.;)

dznyacct
07-26-2011, 12:18 AM
I got the survey invitation and completed it. It was quite ironic timing as I was just pondering the terrific deal on the SWA VISA, but I hate the thought of paying an annual fee. It did have some interesting proposed benefits though :thumbsup2.

tkitty
07-26-2011, 12:32 AM
I got the survey invitation and completed it. It was quite ironic timing as I was just pondering the terrific deal on the SWA VISA, but I hate the thought of paying an annual fee. It did have some interesting proposed benefits though :thumbsup2.

I've been trying to also decide if I want the SWA one. I got the offer in the mail, then my DH also got one. I don't know why I'm scared to go for it?! It's free airfare!
My DH isn't crazy about SW because on our last trip home from WDW we couldn't sit together. This bugs me too, and the free SW airfare is for the "Wanna Get Away fares", and I need to be able to get seats for myself DH and 2 grandkids. Don't want to be separated. Not sure if I can pay a bit more and choose seats ahead of time.

Where'sPiglet?
07-26-2011, 07:49 AM
Did anyone else get the survey from Chase Disney Rewards Visa in an email?
It sounds like they are thinling of someday offering an upgrade to your Disney Visa card. The new card would have a yearly fee (they used $49 as an example). With this card you would eard double points on things like gas and groceries (don't recall what else), other purchases will still be 1 point.
The offer could also include 5x points for the first 3 monthes on gas and groceries. Another perk could be a credit back to your account when buying airfare.
They would still offer the interest free on Disney Vacations for 6 months. The park perks are also the same.
They asked how likely I would be to switch- you betcha..:goodvibes
Oh and the new card designs were so cute!
I hope this comes to pass. I might be just in time to help me with my 2012 vacation.;)

I got the email with the survey but I didn't get any of those details. I was about 1/3 done according the the status bar when it asked me how likely I was to pay an annual fee. When I answered "not likely at all" it said "thank you" and that was the end of it!

cvjw
07-26-2011, 08:10 AM
Chase already has a rewards Visa that pays you 5X the rewards on certain items. It used to be gas, groceries and drug stores, now they have changed the card so that the categories rotate every 3 months. It has no annual fee - I have had this credit card for years and years. I think it is called the freedom card. It does have a limit on how many reward dollars you can earn per year, it isn't unlimited.

Pooh_Friend#1
07-26-2011, 08:36 AM
I've been trying to also decide if I want the SWA one. I got the offer in the mail, then my DH also got one. I don't know why I'm scared to go for it?! It's free airfare!
My DH isn't crazy about SW because on our last trip home from WDW we couldn't sit together. This bugs me too, and the free SW airfare is for the "Wanna Get Away fares", and I need to be able to get seats for myself DH and 2 grandkids. Don't want to be separated. Not sure if I can pay a bit more and choose seats ahead of time.
You can pay $10/ticket and they will check you in ahead of time and you will get an A boarding pass.

RachaelA
07-26-2011, 09:02 AM
Chase already has a rewards Visa that pays you 5X the rewards on certain items. It used to be gas, groceries and drug stores, now they have changed the card so that the categories rotate every 3 months. It has no annual fee - I have had this credit card for years and years. I think it is called the freedom card. It does have a limit on how many reward dollars you can earn per year, it isn't unlimited.

I have this card too. I don't use it though (just once or twice a year to keep it active). We do the 5% cash back on Discover and then just use our Disney Visa (I'm way too lazy to keep track of what the deal is on every card that month!).

I still wouldn't pay an annual fee even for a Disney card. The card is under DH's name so I won't get the survey, but I know he'd click no as well.

starry_solo
07-26-2011, 09:07 AM
I didn't receive the survey, but I doubt I would pay an annual fee for a credit card. I would just cash in the Disney Reward Dollars (about 400 worth), spend it, and then close the account if they switched over to an annual fee type card.

unionville
07-26-2011, 11:10 AM
I just did the survey and did not see any of the details either. I answer doubtful that I would pay the annual fee too.

ICF
07-26-2011, 11:54 AM
I got the email with the survey but I didn't get any of those details. I was about 1/3 done according the the status bar when it asked me how likely I was to pay an annual fee. When I answered "not likely at all" it said "thank you" and that was the end of it!

Same here.....It would take benefits way better than double pts for me to pay $50 for the card.

DisneyYahoo
07-26-2011, 12:09 PM
I haven't gotten the survey yet either but I don't think I would be interested in paying a fee on this card. I already pay a fee on another (Alaska) so I can get companion ticket for a lower cost each year.

disprincessatheart
07-26-2011, 12:36 PM
I got the survey last night. Mine said double points on all Disney purchases too - that's one perk that might make it worth it to me, depending on if dvc dues, etc counted. I've put an entire dvc purchase and a Disney wedding on my card over the years, not to mention ap's, tiw cards and way more food and merchandise than I should have! It also said you would have the opt to redeem for flights, which wouldn't interest me since we never purchase airfare. I did tell them I thought the fee was too high at $49. And maybe I didn't look closely enough, but the card designs looked like what we have now.

DawnM
07-26-2011, 12:45 PM
Too high. I shop Costco 90% of the time and they don't take CC, so groceries are out.

And a Shell CC gives me 5% off on all gas purchases and Shell is the cheapest gas here.

So, paying for a card that gives me less doesn't make sense at all.

Dawn

StitchandPooh'sMom
07-26-2011, 01:12 PM
The details from the survey were:

earn 2% back on gas, groceries, dining, and Disney purchases; 1% on everything else

you can redeem points to pay for airfare on any airline - just buy the ticket with the Disney Visa, then redeem points for the cost

annual fee of $49

We earn more than 50 Disney rewards dollars per year in the categories of gas, groceries, dining and Disney, so it would be worth it for us to upgrade if the $49 fee is what they charge. I'd have to run the numbers to find the break even point, but earning an extra 1% on those categories would more than cover the $49 fee.

Where'sPiglet?
07-26-2011, 01:14 PM
And a Shell CC gives me 5% off on all gas purchases and Shell is the cheapest gas here.

Dawn

Strange.....around here Shell is probably the most expensive!

I do get Fuel Perks with my Winn-Dixie card at Shell, but sometimes other stations are cheaper even when I am getting the discount! :eek:

bellamama
07-26-2011, 02:30 PM
Didn't get the survey...but doubt I would switch anyway. I love my Chase Disney rewards card just the way it is, with no annual fee.

ValpoCory
07-26-2011, 03:48 PM
Too high. I shop Costco 90% of the time and they don't take CC, so groceries are out.

So, paying for a car that gives me less doesn't make sense at all.

Dawn

Of course your (and my) Shell credit card changed their 5% off policies this year for that card. You only get 5% (in increments of $25 thesholds met) if you charge a lot on that card every month (over $1000 if I recall correctly). That was the card to have but I've taken my main card over to a Disney Visa. I just use the Shell card to fill up on gas (not expecting 5%) and when I rarely go to Jiffy Lube (5% off).

DawnM
07-26-2011, 06:51 PM
Well, I should specify.....the Shell across the border in SC, but still close enough to our house, has the cheapest gas around.

Not all Shell stations.

Dawn

Strange.....around here Shell is probably the most expensive!

I do get Fuel Perks with my Winn-Dixie card at Shell, but sometimes other stations are cheaper even when I am getting the discount! :eek:

DawnM
07-26-2011, 06:54 PM
Ah, well, good to know.

However, OP says the new card only gives 2% back on gas. We spend aprox. $3,000 per year on gas. At 2% that is $60 back.

But since I already get 1% back with a no annual fee CC, that is only $30 extra.

Paying $49 for the card would still not work for me.

Dawn

Of course your (and my) Shell credit card changed their 5% off policies this year for that card. You only get 5% (in increments of $25 thesholds met) if you charge a lot on that card every month (over $1000 if I recall correctly). That was the card to have but I've taken my main card over to a Disney Visa. I just use the Shell card to fill up on gas (not expecting 5%) and when I rarely go to Jiffy Lube (5% off).

DisneyBill
07-26-2011, 09:18 PM

:lmao:Same exact thing here a week or two ago. It would be interesting to review the survey recap to see how/if those who exited the survey at that point are factored in to the conclusion.

cheesekate2005
07-26-2011, 10:12 PM

Me too!

gigi1313
07-26-2011, 10:19 PM
i received the survey too... and this was the second or third time... the first two times were well over a year or two ago...
i said yes :)

csharpwv
07-26-2011, 10:20 PM

With Southwest, you cannot choose seats ahead of time - however, with kids you can get a pass from the front counter to load the plane before anyone else - it the kids are young - (15+ I would imagine)

I usually fly alone - so I LOVE Southwest - $10 buys priority boarding - and with free bags, free refreshments, and no change fees - you really can't go wrong with Southwest! BUT, I do understand you situation - and it's one of the things that families really have to consider when flying Southwest.

gigi1313
07-27-2011, 06:59 AM
With Southwest, you cannot choose seats ahead of time - however, with kids you can get a pass from the front counter to load the plane before anyone else - it the kids are young - (15+ I would imagine)

I usually fly alone - so I LOVE Southwest - $10 buys priority boarding - and with free bags, free refreshments, and no change fees - you really can't go wrong with Southwest! BUT, I do understand you situation - and it's one of the things that families really have to consider when flying Southwest.

that's actually incorrect... SWA allows family boarding (w/children under 3 in some airports, under 5 in others) between the A and B groups... and A group goes after medical boarding (wheelchairs, other special needs)... and while family boarding should guarantee you sit together, there really is no guarantee... however, keep in mind, when you are traveling w/children no one wants to sit next to your kid more than you do, and passengers are likely to move to accommodate you!

if sitting together is pertinent, then the $10 spent on priority boarding is the way to go, although that, too, is no guarantee because it's possible that everyone else on your flight purchased it too and you could easily still end up w/a B or C boarding pass!

tkitty
07-27-2011, 11:23 AM
that's actually incorrect... SWA allows family boarding (w/children under 3 in some airports, under 5 in others) between the A and B groups... and A group goes after medical boarding (wheelchairs, other special needs)... and while family boarding should guarantee you sit together, there really is no guarantee... however, keep in mind, when you are traveling w/children no one wants to sit next to your kid more than you do, and passengers are likely to move to accommodate you!

if sitting together is pertinent, then the $10 spent on priority boarding is the way to go, although that, too, is no guarantee because it's possible that everyone else on your flight purchased it too and you could easily still end up w/a B or C boarding pass!

The kids will be 5 and 10 next year, and I think my airport lets 5 and under go with the second group. I would gladly pay $10 a ticket to choose seats. I wonder if it matters if you are using SW's Wanna Get Away fares using SW reward points?
With either cc I would pay the yearly fee as long as I was coming out ahead.:goodvibes From what I've figured, I put enough gas on my card to pretty much cover the fee, so everything else is double points.
I guess we don't know if Disney Visa will ever do this, or if they do it may be different perks than stated in the survey but I think I would upgrade. Would work for me.

dreamin_disney
07-27-2011, 04:10 PM
annual fee.... NO THANK YOU!

runwad
07-27-2011, 07:58 PM

Ya me too:rolleyes1

jls886
07-27-2011, 08:48 PM
The kids will be 5 and 10 next year, and I think my airport lets 5 and under go with the second group. I would gladly pay $10 a ticket to choose seats. I wonder if it matters if you are using SW's Wanna Get Away fares using SW reward points?
With either cc I would pay the yearly fee as long as I was coming out ahead.:goodvibes From what I've figured, I put enough gas on my card to pretty much cover the fee, so everything else is double points.
I guess we don't know if Disney Visa will ever do this, or if they do it may be different perks than stated in the survey but I think I would upgrade. Would work for me.

Nope, wouldn't matter if you're using cash or points. The $10/person purchases "early bird" boarding which just means that they check you in automatically at 24 hours before your flight and you're more likely to get an "A" boarding pass. Nothing is guaranteed though, as it all depends on how many passengers are already on your plane before anyone boards (if the plane originated in another city there could be passengers that stay on board to get to their final destination) and how many other passengers purchase Early Bird boarding or have A-List status with Southwest and have the same benefit you do with the automatic check in. Boarding passes A1-A15 are reserved for Business Select passengers (the most expensive fare). After that it is anyone's luck. The majority of the airports I travel through (I travel for work almost weekly) tend to do "family boarding" as families traveling with children 4 and under, but you never know.

dhardawa
07-27-2011, 10:01 PM
I guarantee I wouldn't do it. I buy groceries at places like Wal Mart, Amazon, Meijer, Target, etc. None of those count. You have to go somewhere like Kroger and pay WAY more to get the 2%. No thanks. I did just sign up for a Capital One Venture card that gives you 2% back on everything to be used for vacations. It has a $59 annual fee, but I'll make that up in no time.

starry_solo
07-28-2011, 10:00 PM
Just received the survey. When I said I was not at all likely to get a credit card with an annual fee, I received this message "Thank you for participating in our survey!"

BTW, the survey was conducted by Chadwick Martin Bailey.

wdwnomad
07-28-2011, 10:11 PM
This card sounds just like the Miles by Discover card. The only difference I see if that there is no free financing on Disney vacations.

vickxo
07-28-2011, 10:13 PM
annual fee.... NO THANK YOU!

I'm with you! No way i'd pay an annual fee, not worth it for me at all.
I find it funny I get about 10 surveys a month from disney and disney related companies but not for the credit card go figure.

DisneyYahoo
07-28-2011, 10:45 PM
I haven't gotten the survey yet either but I don't think I would be interested in paying a fee on this card. I already pay a fee on another (Alaska) so I can get companion ticket for a lower cost each year.

Whoops...I change my last reply. I got the survey today so they must send them out in chunks. I answered no to the question that was something like - "Would you be willing to pay an annual fee if the benefits were attractive?" The survey which was supposed to take approx 10 min immediately cut me off. The question was probably 1 minute/10% into the survey progress. They should have asked me how much I put on the card every month before they cut me off. But I guess they don't really care about that. They just want to know if enough people would pay IF they charged a fee.

JoiseyMom
07-29-2011, 08:29 AM
I got this a few weeks ago, and also said NO. I will not pay for a credit card. Too many cards are free, especially my AMEX, which gives me $$ cash back and an extra year warranty on items that carry a warranty!

DLW8
07-29-2011, 09:47 AM
I also got the survey, my recollection is that this would be an OPTION to have the Premier Card that gives you 2% back on purchases with the annual fee. I got the impression that they would still have the regular card with the 1% rewards and no annual fee.

My issue is that in the survey they give you an example of earning 1% versus 2%.

Their example was to spend $1000 on groceries, gas and restaurants

1% = 10 rewards points
2% = 120 points

Ummmm, last time I checked, 2% of $1000 was 20, not 120!

Using the incorrect numbers is just bad form if you ask me. While it may have been an innocent mistake, it could skew their results if people just look at the numbers. OH - I could get 120 points in a month? I will pay the fee! Then they get the card and only get 20 points...what happened???? :confused3

amylevan
07-29-2011, 09:55 AM
I also got the survey, my recollection is that this would be an OPTION to have the Premier Card that gives you 2% back on purchases with the annual fee. I got the impression that they would still have the regular card with the 1% rewards and no annual fee.

My issue is that in the survey they give you an example of earning 1% versus 2%.

Their example was to spend $1000 on groceries, gas and restaurants

1% = 10 rewards points
2% = 120 points

Ummmm, last time I checked, 2% of $1000 was 20, not 120!

Using the incorrect numbers is just bad form if you ask me. While it may have been an innocent mistake, it could skew their results if people just look at the numbers. OH - I could get 120 points in a month? I will pay the fee! Then they get the card and only get 20 points...what happened???? :confused3

That bothered me, as well as the misspellings. It actually said "Dinsey" card a few times. Doesn't speak very well of the survey company.

branv
07-29-2011, 06:34 PM
I told them no way as I already have a card that pays similar rewards, but I get CASH back and no fee (technically I do pay an annual fee, but this is the Costco AMEX so it's really just paying the annual fee for my costco membership which I would do anyway).

What I did tell them was that they are missing the boat -- people who have this card are disney fans. What they really want is better, truly exclusive theme park/Disney hotel/Disney cruise discounts. Not just puny savings if we shop at WDW and spend over $50, or discounts that are usually the same discounts other people get a day or two later (if they even come at all these days). Now, give me points PLUS a 10-20% discount on all theme park tickets and hotel stays whenever I pay for it with my Disney card, then an annual fee might be worth it if I expected to travel to WDW or DL consistently.

my2minnies
07-30-2011, 06:33 AM
I got the same survey and also said that I was not willing to pay an annual fee for the card. It made the survey a LOT shorter!
I have had this card for so many years and it is the only one I use. I would never pay an annual fee for it though.

su_A_ve
08-08-2011, 06:51 PM
I'm a charter member - I would be royally pissed if they decided to start charging for it.

If they want to make a Platinum one, go ahead - I'll stick with the regular one. The card does offer some good benefits (some Visa Signature components like warranty manager) but lacks on other areas (picture on card, virtual numbers).