PDA

View Full Version : Next Disney movie?

Kaelyn
10-11-2002, 04:37 PM
What is the next animated movie on tap after TP?

TheLionKing
10-11-2002, 05:46 PM
I believe it is "Home on the Range" followed by "Bear"

meowthew2
10-11-2002, 05:51 PM
Piglet's Big Movie -- April 2003.

raidermatt
10-11-2002, 06:23 PM
Don't forget Jungle Book 2. I think the preview on the Beauty and the Beast DVD said February.

Finding Nemo, which is a Pixar movie, is supposed to come out next Summer, I believe.

I don't think Range or Bear are scheduled until at least until the 2003 Holiday season.

Jeff in BigD
10-12-2002, 06:23 AM
Anyone have a 1 or 2 sentence description of the flicks? (Don't worry about posting the DTV ones)

lrodk
10-12-2002, 08:18 AM
Here's the list that I have gathered over the past year on feature animation(not direct-to-video,ie Jungle Book 2,etc).

1)Home on the Range-2003

2)Finding Nemo-2003

3)Bears-2004

4)My Peoples-2005

5)Chicken Little-2005

6)Snow Queen-no fixed date as of yet, but 2006-07 seems to be what they're aiming for.

7)Fantasia-2006

8)Rapunzel-No date, in pre-production

Kaelyn
10-12-2002, 12:41 PM
Rapunzel???? That is so cool! I have been sating for years that Rapunzel and the 12 Dancing Princesses should be done by Disney!

Jeff in BigD
10-12-2002, 03:22 PM
Irodk - Fantasia 2006? Is this an updated version of the 1940 movie, the 2000 movie or completely new movie?

Kaelyn - what is the 12 Dancing Princesses? I've never heard of it.

grinningghost
10-12-2002, 08:04 PM
After alot of (dare I say it) cruddy animated films of late, I can't wait for a princess movie - finally!!! Bring on Rapunzel!!!

lrodk
10-12-2002, 08:05 PM
Fantasia 2006 would be the third installment in the Fantasia series. Basically Roy Disney wants Fantasia to continue on as a tribute to Walt's legacy, even though Walt himself was against the idea of sequels. here are the updates that I've gathered on this film:

James Levine has been reinstated for the occasion to conduct new pieces of music (the adaptation of Youssou N'Dour music). He repotedly had already finished conducting a modern piece of music based on an African rhythm in June 2000: it involves a group of children in a small township in Africa, who watch a feather float through the air. Seeing this, the children get an idea and make kites to fly in the air. The segment is reportedly called "One by One" and directed by Pixote Hunt (who already helmed the Symphony No. 5 segment in Fantasia 2000) .

By March of 2001 "One by One" was reportedly finished and another one, directed by Glen Keane, was in the early stages of production. Additionally, the Disney Studio in France are currently developing a segment based on "The Little Match Girl" by Hans Christian Andersen.

Roy Disney confirmed in July 2002 that a third installment of Fantasia was indeed under develpoment, but that no release date was set yet. One segment inspired by the Andersen tale The Little Match Girl was already completed at the time, and the movie will illustrate how wonderful music is all around the world, regrouping the musics from many countries from Africa to Argentina passing by Australia.

Another rumor released in August states that the film was now being referred to as The Music Project. One of the segments will feature The Little Mermaid's Sebastian the crab "which is making music with other crabs and seasnails.

Another rumor, if you can believe it, has the film either being "fast-tracked" to meet a 2005 deadline, or paced down to be released in 2010 since Eisner wants the film to hit a "title friendly" numbered date!

Jeff in BigD
10-13-2002, 05:22 AM
Originally posted by grinningghost
After alot of (dare I say it) cruddy animated films of late, I can't wait for a princess movie - finally!!! Bring on Rapunzel!!!
The rub is trying to make a Princess movie that isn't too "princessy". You want boys in the audience too. :)

Jeff in BigD
10-13-2002, 05:44 AM
Originally posted by lrodk
Fantasia 2006 would be the third installment in the Fantasia series. Basically Roy Disney wants Fantasia to continue on as a tribute to Walt's legacy, even though Walt himself was against the idea of sequels.
A note on this - actually Fantasia was never seen as a set movie, but rather it was to be continually changing editions with new music & animated sequences. It was apparent after the US got involved in WWII it wouldn't be possible. After the war ended there was no real interest in continuing the project. Though Walt abandoned the idea, I highly doubt he'd of had a problem with making more. Now if the segments were sequels to Sorcerer's Apprentice & Night On Bald Mountain it might be a different story. And he'd probably be furius about the DTV sequels, but I digress.

I really, really, REALLY hope they do a segment on Tchaikovsky's 1812 Oveture. It's one of my favorite arrangements. I realize they might shy away from the actual subject matter, though they didn't with Bald Mountain, but the PC BS would no doubt put the kabosh on anything relating to a war. It could be well done in an abstract manner as well.

I do think that fast-tracking the movie is a bad idea IMO. I think this would be a great diversion project for the animators working on what ever merch-based movie they're churning out to go & flex some creative muscles every now & then. My gut tells me it's better to err on the side of later rather than sooner. If they come out too often it loses it's specialness IMO. Granted 5 years isn't exactly quick amount of time, but it was 60 years inbetween the first & second. And who knows, maybe by 2010 we'll be over this PC BS & live happily in an age of common sense. :teeth:

Kaelyn
10-13-2002, 10:51 AM
The 12 dancing princesses is a brothers Grimm fairy tale. You shold be able to find it quite easily. It is the story of 12 princesses, each more beutiful than the last, who sneak out every night to go dancing and they wear their dancing shoe out every night. One of my favorites when I was a child.

I'm not even that bug a fan of princesses, really. I work in TDS, so I am inundated with pink and baby blue and purple princess stuff all the time, and I am ready for a change (altho pooh and buzz have out lived themselves, too) but what animated Disney movies have been lacking lately is solid story telling with that dreamy aspect to their characters. Both these stories (rapunzel and 12 princesses) would lend themselves nicely to old fashioned Disney storytelling.

raidermatt
10-14-2002, 01:26 PM
I think Jeff is right about the Fantasia sequels. If I remember correctly, Walt WANTED to make a another Fantasia. He didn't consider it to really be a sequel, because it would be new segments, not sequels to the first batch. New characters, ideas, etc.

RickW
10-15-2002, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by lrodk
He repotedly had already finished conducting a modern piece of music based on an African rhythm in June 2000: it involves a group of children in a small township in Africa, who watch a feather float through the air. Seeing this, the children get an idea and make kites to fly in the air. The segment is reportedly called "One by One" and directed by Pixote Hunt (who already helmed the Symphony No. 5 segment in Fantasia 2000) .

By March of 2001 "One by One" was reportedly finished and another one, directed by Glen Keane, was in the early stages of production.

This caught my attention, since we were in LA this weekend to see "The Lion King" (Stage, not Film).

In The Lion King, the first song of the second act is called "One by One" and I would consider it to be a "modern peice of music based on an African rhythm"

Same peice of music? Anyone know?

d-r
10-16-2002, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by grinningghost

Gosh, we just had a princess movie - Atlantis - but you are right, I can't think of one before that since A Bug's Life

:)

d-r
10-16-2002, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by raidermatt
I think Jeff is right about the Fantasia sequels. If I remember correctly, Walt WANTED to make a another Fantasia. He didn't consider it to really be a sequel, because it would be new segments, not sequels to the first batch. New characters, ideas, etc.

I just wanted to agree with this, when Walt ORIGINALLY made fantasia, he wanted that concept to continue. But, remember, Fantasia wasn't met with overwhelming commercial success, at all. Actually it never was met with much commercial success, although I think in the early 70s it enjoyed some success from people who found it "trippy." In the loosest of ways, I think of Melody Time, Make Mine Music, and yes, even 3 Cabelleros as "sequals" (remember, I said in the loosest of ways) to Fantasia - Melody Time and Make Mine Music continue the idea of animation set to music, but with these examples the music is more contemporary and popular for the times of course, I believe the thinking was that the public didn't really embrace the "classical" music of the original fantasia. Same sort of concept but with some very obvious tweaks of course.

I include the three cabelleros because in some ways it continues the "spirit" of Fantasia, that being pushing the envelope of the medium of animation and trying new things and new innovations. Of course, one might also consider 3 Cabelleros as something like a sequal to Saludos Amigos, which grew out of the good will tour to South America. Saludos Amigos has always seemed too short to me, and three cabelleros has always seemed a natural sort of extension to it. Three cabelleros though remains to me a wonderful example of experimenting with the medium.

My point is that there are several examples of at least continuing aspects of Fantasia or the "spirit" of the idea of Fantasia.

DR