PDA

View Full Version : It was sooo hot today...

3boymthr
07-22-2011, 08:40 PM
the chocolate chips in my cabinets turned liquid. Does anyone know of something easy I can make with melted chocolate chips? I had three bags of them melt. One semi sweet, one milk chocolate, one dark chocolate. At $3.50/bag I hate have to throw them away. I have a couple of recipes that I use them melted but they are complicated and/or time consuming and not something I want to tackle in this heat.

dawnn12
07-22-2011, 08:48 PM
do you have any fruit? choc covered fruit is yummy

i feel for you i dont know how hot it got there but it hit 103(116 with the heat index) last time i seen the news today(im right above philly)

Halbleib1
07-22-2011, 08:49 PM
Throw them in the fridge to harden back up. Once they are hard you can chop them up to use for cookies or whatever you were going to do with them.

In the future store them in the freezer until you are ready to use them.

Madison'smommy
07-22-2011, 09:04 PM
I was also going to say throw them in the fridge!

monkey30
07-22-2011, 09:19 PM
mmmm chocolate chunk cookies now!!

I am hoping this heat breaks soon. Since you are so hot we are getting wacky weather where we live, hot and crazy one minutes and then wind hail and rain the next.

ilovemk76
07-22-2011, 09:21 PM
the chocolate chips in my cabinets turned liquid. Does anyone know of something easy I can make with melted chocolate chips? I had three bags of them melt. One semi sweet, one milk chocolate, one dark chocolate. At $3.50/bag I hate have to throw them away. I have a couple of recipes that I use them melted but they are complicated and/or time consuming and not something I want to tackle in this heat.

Since you house is so hot that chocolate chips are melting why would you want to heat it up more to cook with the liquid chips?:scared1:

Where'sPiglet?
07-22-2011, 09:26 PM
Microwave fudge.

I couldn't find the exact recipe I've used, but it's similar to this:

http://www.cooks.com/rec/doc/0,1629,151190-251204,00.html

The one I have used also had either a half or whole stick of butter. :eek:

1-disneyfan
07-22-2011, 09:40 PM
WOW :scared1: that is just crazy hot!!! we are still waiting for our summer to start.....hit a whopping 71 today! Anyway, I just bought a magazine that had a less messy way for smores....normal marshmallow, dip in chocolate half way, then crush graham crackers and did them before chocolate sets. But, of course you would need to keep in fridge, or you could have quite the mess :rolleyes1

Good luck with the temps going lower for you!

Kris

mum4jenn
07-22-2011, 10:05 PM
dip pretzels or graham crackers

Diegosmom
07-22-2011, 10:23 PM
make mickey rice crispie treats covered in chocolate

3boymthr
07-22-2011, 10:47 PM
DH picked up the bags to get to something behind them and the chocolate pooled at the bottom so no throwing them in the fridge and making chocolate chip cookies with them later. :sad2: It rarely gets this hot here - according to the weather channel less than a dozen days over 100 in the last 50 years - so I just didn't think about putting the chocolate in the fridge.

At 5PM the thermometer in the living room said it was 96 :eek: and just over 100 outside so I have no plans for baking cookies tonight or tomorrow. Though they are saying that the high on Sunday will be only @ 80 and @ 78 on Monday :woohoo: so if I can get the chocolate to chunk then I'll bake a batch of them Sunday night for youngest DS to take to camp for dessert.

No fruit at home but I think I might pick up some strawberries and make dipped strawberries for oldest DS tomorrow. He's only home from summer camp for 1 day each week so a treat like that will really pick him up. I also like the idea of the s'mores as well. I have some marshmallows and graham crackers. I can use the semi-sweet for the fruit and the milk for the s'mores.

Thanks for the ideas.

tolemommy
07-22-2011, 10:51 PM
Wow sorry to hear about the heat wave. Like a fellow poster from WA mentioned we are having a very cool summer.

I agree throw them in the freezer or fridge and wait until the summer heat passes then make choc. chunk cookies with them. Yummers!

cglaura
07-22-2011, 11:44 PM
Pour them onto a cookie sheet or something flat (melt down all the way if still some chips). Then stick in the fridge. After cool, you can break the sheet up into pieces/chunks, stick in a ziplock back and use as you would have the chips.

sissy_ib
07-23-2011, 01:48 AM
DH picked up the bags to get to something behind them and the chocolate pooled at the bottom so no throwing them in the fridge and making chocolate chip cookies with them later. :sad2: It rarely gets this hot here - according to the weather channel less than a dozen days over 100 in the last 50 years - so I just didn't think about putting the chocolate in the fridge.

At 5PM the thermometer in the living room said it was 96 :eek: and just over 100 outside so I have no plans for baking cookies tonight or tomorrow. Though they are saying that the high on Sunday will be only @ 80 and @ 78 on Monday :woohoo: so if I can get the chocolate to chunk then I'll bake a batch of them Sunday night for youngest DS to take to camp for dessert.

No fruit at home but I think I might pick up some strawberries and make dipped strawberries for oldest DS tomorrow. He's only home from summer camp for 1 day each week so a treat like that will really pick him up. I also like the idea of the s'mores as well. I have some marshmallows and graham crackers. I can use the semi-sweet for the fruit and the milk for the s'mores.

Thanks for the ideas.

OMG, do you not have A/C??? 96 in your house???
That's not healthy.

Judique
07-23-2011, 03:57 AM
That's not healthy.

A lot of the Northeast normally doesn't need air in the summer, except for a few days.

sharonmickey
07-23-2011, 09:58 AM
No advice on the chocolate but you made me feel better when you said your house was 96 inside. It was only 86 in my house yesterday! Hope today is at least a little cooler. After the cold snowy winter I'm not going to complain too much about the heat.

Think I will go check my chocolate chips now, hope they are not liquid - like OP I have quite a few bags in the cabinet.

3boymthr
07-23-2011, 10:20 AM
That's not healthy.

No central air. As PP mentioned it's just not justified. We do have a window A/C in the bedroom so the kids and I mostly hung out there yesterday. Most summers we only run it about 5 or 6 days - the last few days have been the only ones where temps hit 90 or higher. Right now it's 70. The biggest problem is when my house gets hot it gets really, really hot and stays hot - thus the melted chips.

JerseyTink
07-23-2011, 11:43 AM
Thanks for the reminder everyone. I just put the chips in the fridge. I never thought of them. I put all other chocolate in there last week when it was in the 90s. Now that we are in triple digits I forget the chocolate chips. :rotfl2: :rotfl: So far so good, though. Now I am off to stalk the weather channel waiting for cooler temperatures. :lmao:

Minnesota!
07-23-2011, 12:03 PM
I would still toss the bags in the fridge/freezer. It will be a big chunk, but just bust it up for chocolate chunks.

And get yourself a/c! :thumbsup2

I have many friends who live in the NE and all of them say they wouldn't live without it!

mrsklamc
07-23-2011, 12:07 PM
I'm not understanding why the chocolate pooling at the bottom of the bag means you can't chop it up later?

sissy_ib
07-23-2011, 01:39 PM
A lot of the Northeast normally doesn't need air in the summer, except for a few days.

No central air. As PP mentioned it's just not justified. We do have a window A/C in the bedroom so the kids and I mostly hung out there yesterday. Most summers we only run it about 5 or 6 days - the last few days have been the only ones where temps hit 90 or higher. Right now it's 70. The biggest problem is when my house gets hot it gets really, really hot and stays hot - thus the melted chips.

My mother lives on Cape Cod and I lived there for 6 years. We definitely need A/C in the summer!

MsLeFever
07-23-2011, 03:21 PM
sounds like a great excuse to just get out a big spoon!

Oh - if you have plastic spoons you could dip them in - chocolate covered spoons are great in coffee or hot milk.

AndreaDM
07-23-2011, 03:39 PM
I found a Little Debbie oatmeal cake that was left in the hot car all day. :scared1:

torinsmom
07-23-2011, 04:43 PM
I couldn't live without my A/C, even for a week. I swear I would melt.

It was so hot here (103 I believe) that a crayon someone had dropped on the sidewalk was melted into a puddle. It is just miserable here right now. I just hope it will go back to the usual 90 or 92 by the time we are at WDW.

MissUndastood
07-23-2011, 05:01 PM

This is so not true. We are in the northeast and we need AC. My inlaws had a house directly on the atlantic ocean and still used their air ALOT. It is really not healthy to be in a house that is 96 degrees. :eek:

Disneyaunt4
07-23-2011, 06:51 PM
do you have any fruit? choc covered fruit is yummy

i feel for you i dont know how hot it got there but it hit 103(116 with the heat index) last time i seen the news today(im right above philly)

Great minds think a like, that was my first thought:)

ncmickeyluvr
07-23-2011, 07:46 PM
Oh, how I feel for all of you without AC in this weather!! Brutal!

I grew up in SE Massachusetts....Fairhaven, right outside of New Bedford. I never knew anyone who had central air. When I moved to NC 16 years ago, I remember how strange is was to walk into a cool house! AC is an absolute necessity here....I don't think I've ever been in a home in NC without it....

CTdiznymom
07-23-2011, 09:04 PM
Just drove by our neighborhood bank, & the sign said 93 degrees @ 8:30pm.:scared1:

Judique
07-23-2011, 11:34 PM
This is so not true. We are in the northeast and we need AC. My inlaws had a house directly on the atlantic ocean and still used their air ALOT. It is really not healthy to be in a house that is 96 degrees. :eek:

I lived in Newport, Rhode Island for several years. I'd moved there from Texas, where we had air. No air in Newport - at the time I didn't know anyone who had it. Of course there were warm days. But nowhere close to the need for air that you would have in Texas or other southern states. No comparison.

phred52
07-24-2011, 08:59 AM
I forgot a package of store bought chocolate chip cookies in my car... in this heat ... yesterday. They cooked. Literally. Were burned and crispy. The few we ate out of the package on the drive home from the store were nice and soft ...:lmao:

3boymthr
07-24-2011, 09:06 AM
I forgot a package of store bought chocolate chip cookies in my car... in this heat ... yesterday. They cooked. Literally. Were burned and crispy. The few we ate out of the package on the drive home from the store were nice and soft ...:lmao:

Oh, my this is too funny. We've got cooler temps today. Right now it's 76 with a high of 84 predicted. Of course it's did rain earlier it's still cloudy and really really humid.

I guess the need for A/C is relative. I can't sleep in A/C so to me it's definitely not a necessity on days that we have the A/C on I sleep on the couch. I figure unless the temps outside are above 90 it's just not warranted. A good fan will usually do me just fine. Plus the cost of retrofitting my 70 yo house for central A/C would be prohibitive as we'd have to do all kinds of crazy things to get it to rooms. And DH installs A/C.

Halbleib1
07-28-2011, 11:48 PM
I would still toss the bags in the fridge/freezer. It will be a big chunk, but just bust it up for chocolate chunks.

And get yourself a/c! :thumbsup2

I have many friends who live in the NE and all of them say they wouldn't live without it!

I agree I would never live without a/c again. As a kid we did not have it in our house or car and longed for it on those hot humid days and esp. at night. Yes we do not usually get a lot of days in the 90's but even those 80 degree days with high humidity is enough of a need for it.

Halbleib1
07-28-2011, 11:53 PM
Oh, my this is too funny. We've got cooler temps today. Right now it's 76 with a high of 84 predicted. Of course it's did rain earlier it's still cloudy and really really humid.

I guess the need for A/C is relative. I can't sleep in A/C so to me it's definitely not a necessity on days that we have the A/C on I sleep on the couch. I figure unless the temps outside are above 90 it's just not warranted. A good fan will usually do me just fine. Plus the cost of retrofitting my 70 yo house for central A/C would be prohibitive as we'd have to do all kinds of crazy things to get it to rooms. And DH installs A/C.That's what they make window a/c for and if that doesn't work for you they now have portable units that you can move around from room to room. They also have a fan on them so that if you want just the fan at night you can use that option and utilize the a/c during the day.

My parents now have window units and they do the job just as well as my central a/c. I actually like them a little better because you can have each room at a different temp. where as my central a/c unit I can not control the temp. in each room.

Halbleib1
07-29-2011, 12:01 AM
New homes at least in my area come with central a/c already installed not only for people's comfort but because humidity is not good for the house either.

Jerseyguy's Wife
07-29-2011, 12:23 AM
Since the chocolate is already melted, you could use it to dip buckeyes. The part I hate the most about making them is melting the chocolate.

DOOM1001
07-29-2011, 01:34 AM
Last week my A/C froze up and stopped blowing out cold air, within 10 minutes I had to get out of the house as I just can't handle heat.Of course I'm in Florida so your A/C is like my heater which I only run like four times all year,the way I look at it I'm hot and sweaty 9 months of the year so when it gets cold I like to feel it,plus I sleep so much better when it's cold.When we get a hurricane come by and maybe knock the power out for a day or two I end up sleeping outside as there's no way I could fall asleep sweating,even with central air I need a fan blowing in my face.