PDA

View Full Version : Use old iPhone as iPod Touch?

puffkin
07-22-2011, 10:00 AM
I have an iPhone 3GS and am coming up on my 2 year renewal with AT&T. My DS5 plays games and netflix movies on my iPhone all the time and is constantly drainging my battery. We do have Wifi at home.

My DH and I were just discussing the other night that maybe for Christmas we could get him a second hand Touch. But then I started thinking that I might want to upgrade my iPhone, especially if the iPhone 5 comes out in October (as rumored). Would I be able to just use my old iPhone with out the 3G/phone capabilities for DS? I am thinking this would be a big savings for us instead of buying him a Touch.

Al and Kate's Mom
07-22-2011, 10:58 AM
We did that when we upgraded to iPhone 4 - just gave the girls our old iPhone3s to use as Touches - works great. I do suggest investing in a case if you don't already have one...wish we had! :rolleyes1

jestagrl79
07-22-2011, 10:59 AM
I have an iPhone 3GS and am coming up on my 2 year renewal with AT&T. My DS5 plays games and netflix movies on my iPhone all the time and is constantly drainging my battery. We do have Wifi at home.

My DH and I were just discussing the other night that maybe for Christmas we could get him a second hand Touch. But then I started thinking that I might want to upgrade my iPhone, especially if the iPhone 5 comes out in October (as rumored). Would I be able to just use my old iPhone with out the 3G/phone capabilities for DS? I am thinking this would be a big savings for us instead of buying him a Touch.

You'll need to leave the SIM in for it to function at all - at least it's that way for the iPhone4. I'm not sure if that's going to cause other complications.

timmac
07-22-2011, 11:20 AM
Yes, you can do that. Once the phone is deactivated, just the "phone" functions of it won't work, but everything else will... works just fine :)

DGF gave her sister an old 3GS as a Christmas gift last year.

monkey30
07-22-2011, 01:37 PM
We have done that as well our kids have ours, took the phone function off.

cinmell
07-22-2011, 01:42 PM
We did this in our house. My daughter got my old iphone 3gs when I upgraded. Everything works except the phone function.

crazelion
07-22-2011, 01:45 PM
Got my attention. Does it need a sim card to work as ipod touch. This my good way to buy old iphone off ebay just as ipod touch.

puffkin
07-22-2011, 03:07 PM
Thanks guys! I think this could make Xmas super easy this year! Now just to convince DH that I need to upgrade my phone :lmao: