PDA

View Full Version : Pine nuts!

AndreaDM
07-21-2011, 09:44 PM
I just bought half a pound at $26.99 per pound! I'm making pesto with my abundance of basil and needed pine nuts. I knew they had increased in price since I bought them last, but holy cow! This was also at a bulk food store that prices things a lot less than the supermarkets around here.

marmalade
07-21-2011, 10:13 PM
I have never purchased pine nuts and at that price I probably never will. But I remember reading a post on one of these boards about someone who got a horrible metalic taste that lasted a long time from eating pine nuts, so that is another reason I won't buy them.

I do hope your pesto was good however.

denecarter
07-21-2011, 11:30 PM
I have never purchased pine nuts and at that price I probably never will. But I remember reading a post on one of these boards about someone who got a horrible metalic taste that lasted a long time from eating pine nuts, so that is another reason I won't buy them.

I do hope your pesto was good however.

When I eat raw pine nuts, I get this taste of what I imagine Pinesol would taste like :scared1:... but luckily, they lose that taste and are actually good when I roast them. :yay:

mrsklamc
07-21-2011, 11:43 PM
ACK! I have never bought them but was just looking at a recipe for parmesan crusted chicken that I was planning to make. Wonder what I can substitute..

sug78
07-22-2011, 12:20 AM
You could use any kind of other nut in your pesto. Walnuts and almonds are both great- roasted red pepper walnut pesto is awesome!

Lehuaann
07-22-2011, 12:38 AM
Goodness. I was able to purchase a 1lb bag at sams about 1-1.5 yr ago for $10. Then it jumped up overnight to $20. :scared1: Now they no longer sell them, I guess the price has gone up too high.

buzz5985
07-22-2011, 01:49 AM
You could use any kind of other nut in your pesto. Walnuts and almonds are both great- roasted red pepper walnut pesto is awesome!

Do you have a recipe you would care to share?? Always looking for new recipes.

Janis

GatorMama
07-22-2011, 06:24 AM
EEEK!! I thought they were pricy a few years ago but goodness! I'm glad I didn't miss them in the peach salad I had last week... I WILL miss them from my couscous though. That sucks! (I don't even know where to buy them anymore... I bought them at a Publix during BOGO nearly 4 years ago and only used a spoonful at a time so the two bags lasted AGES)

ProudMomTo3Boys
07-22-2011, 06:41 AM
I make pesto without pine nuts and actually can't taste the difference. I do add more garlic than my recipe calls for so maybe that is why. But I just can't see paying for something that I can't taste. I love pesto, just made some the other day and gave some to my neighbor. A couple of days later she went out to eat and ordered something with pesto and she told me that it didn't hold a candle to mine. I would say try to make it without the nuts and see if you like it.

devilmafia11
07-22-2011, 06:51 AM
i have never purchase it

mrsmav
07-22-2011, 07:05 AM
I use unsalted, shelled sunflower seeds in my pesto instead of the pine nuts.

Gigi22
07-22-2011, 07:57 AM
I always make pesto without pine nuts--DH has a nut allergy. You can fiddle with the proportions of the other ingredients to get the right consistency.

punkin
07-22-2011, 08:03 AM

I once made a pesto with almonds and parsley. It was wonderful.

lost*in*cyberspace
07-22-2011, 08:07 AM
But I remember reading a post on one of these boards about someone who got a horrible metalic taste that lasted a long time from eating pine nuts, so that is another reason I won't buy them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pine_nut

A small minority of pine nuts cultivated in China can cause taste disturbances, lasting between few days to maximal a week after consumption. A bitter, metallic taste is described. Though unpleasant, there are no lasting effects. This phenomenon was first described in a scientific paper in 2001.[11] Some publications have made reference to this phenomenon as "pine mouth".[12] The Nestle Research Centre has hypothesized that a particular species of Chinese pine nuts, Pinus armandii, is the cause of the problem.

They sell large bags of pine nuts at Costco for a very reasonable price.

Sagginit
07-22-2011, 08:11 AM
i love the taste of pine nuts but hate the price. i have a small jar that I only use for pesto. i remember i could not even find them in the foodstore when i went to buy them a year or two ago.

i have also heard you can use pistachios instead.

mjkacmom
07-22-2011, 08:52 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pine_nut

A small minority of pine nuts cultivated in China can cause taste disturbances, lasting between few days to maximal a week after consumption. A bitter, metallic taste is described. Though unpleasant, there are no lasting effects. This phenomenon was first described in a scientific paper in 2001.[11] Some publications have made reference to this phenomenon as "pine mouth".[12] The Nestle Research Centre has hypothesized that a particular species of Chinese pine nuts, Pinus armandii, is the cause of the problem.

They sell large bags of pine nuts at Costco for a very reasonable price.

I don't know when you bought them last, but costco's prices doubled in the last couple of years. My friend has a side business selling pignoli cookies, and has now gone elsewhere for the nuts.

AndreaDM
07-22-2011, 08:54 AM
Yes toasting them real quick in a pan on top of the stove will take out any weird tastes. I guess I've always made my pesto with pine nuts and we all LOVE it, so I don't want to mess with a good thing. I'm not a fan of anything walnut-y tasting at all. I had heard Trader Joe's might have them for less? Our closest one is an hour away so I'm not making a trip just for that, but I'll definitely check it out next time I go.

I should have known they were much more expensive since a restaurant we frequent has started charging $1 extra if you want them on top of the balsamic salad, they always just came on it before.

theycallmered
07-22-2011, 11:41 AM
I heard not too long ago (and I cannot remember where I heard it) that pound for pound, pine nuts are more expensive than rocket fuel.:headache:

Not sure how much truth is in that statement, but from the $35.99 per lb price tag I saw last time I purchased bulk pine nuts, I almost believe it. :thumbsup2

AndreaDM
07-22-2011, 12:10 PM
I heard not too long ago (and I cannot remember where I heard it) that pound for pound, pine nuts are more expensive than rocket fuel.:headache:

Not sure how much truth is in that statement, but from the $35.99 per lb price tag I saw last time I purchased bulk pine nuts, I almost believe it. :thumbsup2

Wow, so my $26.99 per pound WAS a deal! :lmao:

sydneysmom
07-22-2011, 01:54 PM
ACK! I have never bought them but was just looking at a recipe for parmesan crusted chicken that I was planning to make. Wonder what I can substitute..

I made this and substituted crushed pecans and it was fabulous !!!!!