PDA

View Full Version : 10 yo son on dining plan

jkp_9192002
07-21-2011, 01:03 PM
when we go to disney my son will be 10 yo 2 months before we go. He barely eats anything at all. my concern is that I will be spending all this money for a dining plan that he does not hardly use. any suggestions?

sksjasams
07-21-2011, 01:08 PM
I would say skip the dining plan and pay out of pocket. My DS had just turned 10 the month before our trip.
Skipping the dining plan will be more cost efficient and your DS can still eat kids meals if he wants to.

Enjoy your trip!

Pakey
07-21-2011, 01:22 PM
I am not a fan of the dining plan but if you are set on using it, you could use his adult TS credits for you, maybe toss in a signature dining meal or two, and pay OOP for your son's meals.

jakenjess
07-21-2011, 01:32 PM
After the kids turned 10 we no longer used the DDP, it just wasn't cost efficient. Price out the meals you'd eat with and without the dining plan and see what's the best deal. Unless you're doing a lot of character meals/buffets, you're probably better off paying out of pocket.

StitchandPooh'sMom
07-21-2011, 01:34 PM
Don't get the dining plan. Your son will still pay the adult price at buffets and character meals, but he will most likely be allowed to order off the kids' menu at other TS restaurants if you are paying OOP (or order an appetizer as an entree). You can also get a kids' meal for him at CS restaurants.

The DDP can save money for some families, but it can also cost more than you would normally spend on food, particularly if you have a light eater.

powellrj
07-21-2011, 01:36 PM
I would suggest skipping the DP and just paying out of pocket this trip or maybe going with the quick-service plan. Sometimes the DP isn't right for everyone.

ccgirl
07-21-2011, 01:58 PM
when we go to disney my son will be 10 yo 2 months before we go. He barely eats anything at all. my concern is that I will be spending all this money for a dining plan that he does not hardly use. any suggestions?

My sugguestion would be - if you don't think you would get value out of the DDP, it would be cheaper to pay OOP. DDP is not always the most cost effective.

bear_mom
07-21-2011, 02:30 PM
We won't be dong the DDP since youngest ddd will be 10 years and 2 months on our next trip. She only eats chicken nuggets/strips when we go out to eat (occassionally mac & cheese) there is NO WAY I am spending $50/day for her to eat chicken nuggest twice a day :confused3:rotfl2:.

If your son only eats a little bit it might be better to pay OOP. On our last trip, older dd was 11 (no DDP) and she ordered off the kids menu at most places - the only places we paid for adult meals for her was at buffets.

Emily

lovehoney
07-21-2011, 03:04 PM
How does your DS 10 feel about eating from the kids menu? My DS10 doesn't eat much but he loves seafood and steak which tends to be pricier on menus.

Halloweenqueen
07-21-2011, 03:08 PM
Do the quick service plan.

puffkin
07-21-2011, 03:13 PM
Do the quick service plan.

He would still need to pay as an adult on the quick service plan. If he is only eating kids meals, it makes no sense.

I would skip the dining plan. If it is not Free Dining, only in very few instances does paying for the dining plan make sense. You will probably be much better off going OOP.

DisneyMomma81
07-21-2011, 03:17 PM
He would still need to pay as an adult on the quick service plan. If he is only eating kids meals, it makes no sense.

I would skip the dining plan. If it is not Free Dining, only in very few instances does paying for the dining plan make sense. You will probably be much better off going OOP.

I agree.

We had the DP free when we visited WDW *10/09* - DS was 9 but I upped his age to 10 *he has/had a mature palette *mac n cheese, chicken nuggets aren't his thing. I had to pay for an adult MYW ticket for him but that was no more than $30.

daisyduck123
07-21-2011, 03:18 PM
My advice...skip the dining plan if it does not work for you.

We were fortunate that our son has been a voracious eater since he turned 10yo. We have always gotten our $$ worth at meals. He eats as much/more prime rib at a meal than any grown man.

LilGMom
07-21-2011, 03:26 PM

My suggestion is to re-evaluate if the DDP is worth it for you on this trip. You will be paying adult price for a child that isn't eating like an adult. is your 10 yr. old going to be eating $35/night each day?

On our next trip our oldest will be 10.5 yrs. old and about half of our meals are character meals. Since we'd be paying adult prices for him regardless at those meals we will be doing the DDP. But next year when the cost of the DDP goes up again we'll go back to paying OOP and not have as many character meals.

figment3258
07-21-2011, 03:27 PM
I would say skip it when we go next year my dd will be 10 by 10 days ugh. But she does eat a lot which will be good. It's tough to have to lay the adult prices on the buffets but oh well it's life. :)

wish*i*was*in*the*vi
07-21-2011, 04:39 PM
We're skipping the dining plan this year. They've raised the prices(my 12 yo son is an adult, my daughter is a child) and quite honestly it's way too much food even for an adult. Who needs a dessert twice a day? I normally eat dessert maybe once a month.
I think it will be cheaper to pay OOP and we wont end up with all the snack credits, as we don't really "snack" much.
And I like the flexibility of not having to eat simply where they take dining credits, we love the Media Noches and Papa Rellenos from Bongos, so I wont feel bad spending $ on restaurants not covered under the Dining Plan.

nilseks
07-21-2011, 09:17 PM
My son will be 10.5 when we go in December, and I asked this very same question a few months back. DS is a *very* picky eater, and I'm a tightwad. :lmao: But being cheap as I am, I really wanted to be on the DDP because otherwise I felt like I would be counting every nickel while I was there and I wouldn't enjoy myself because I'd be worrying about money.

What I did was I planned out everywhere we wanted to eat, and I literally went through and tried to guess what we would eat at each place. Being the tightwad loon that I am, I made an entire spreadsheet, guessing at every meal. I feel that I know our eating habits pretty well, so I think I probably hit it pretty close. The estimate turned out as follows: the DDP would save us a whopping $15. *BUT* that $15 savings also gave me peace of mind of going into the restaurants and ordering what I *really* wanted and not having to worry about money. I went ahead and set up the DDP. We now have a little over 4 months until our trip, but our dining is paid off and I know I will enjoy myself more having it paid in advance.

Good luck with your decision!

mom2randj
07-21-2011, 09:26 PM
What I did was I planned out everywhere we wanted to eat, and I literally went through and tried to guess what we would eat at each place. Being the tightwad loon that I am, I made an entire spreadsheet, guessing at every meal. I feel that I know our eating habits pretty well, so I think I probably hit it pretty close. The estimate turned out as follows: the DDP would save us a whopping $15. *BUT* that $15 savings also gave me peace of mind of going into the restaurants and ordering what I *really* wanted and not having to worry about money. I went ahead and set up the DDP. We now have a little over 4 months until our trip, but our dining is paid off and I know I will enjoy myself more having it paid in advance.

Good luck with your decision!

This is EXACTLY why we are doing the DDP with my DD who will be 10 1/2 when we go in October. Although she eats like a bird and won't eat near as much as an "adult" would, having the peace of mind that I can go in and order anything I want and not have to worry about prices was worth it to me. Plus, our son is 8 and has a pretty big appetite himself, so if she doesn't evertyhing on her plate, I am sure he will help out. lol.

yeahdisney
07-21-2011, 09:26 PM
We also do OOP. Our 12 DD is also a picky eater and eats a small amount. We ate at CRT, pd for lunch, DD did not want anything from the adult or child menu. DD ate a peanut butter sandwich I brought in along with her drink. And DD would not eat dessert because the ice cream offered was only vanilla (which she does not eat at home either, she will do without ice cream at parties too). Ah well we went for the experience, not the food. Works out for us cheaper OOP.

fitnessmouse
07-22-2011, 06:54 AM
If you want to pre-pay, put the money you would spent on the DP on a giftcard and use that to pay for the meals.

ilovediznee
07-22-2011, 07:12 AM
Our DD will also be an adult next year - just had our last trip with child prices...anyway, a suggestion given to me was that since you will be paying for an adult - in our case - three adults next year, split some meals. There were plenty of meals that my DD ate some of mine off this past time and I was fine. My DH is a big eater but it was so hot I couldn't eat that much. That way for those meals they do want to eat steak and such you would have it and possibly add some signature meals as well.

I would analyze the menus and calculate it all out and see what you come up with.

Good luck - Diane :thumbsup2

dzorn
07-22-2011, 07:18 AM

Skip the dining plan. We stopped when DD turned 10. The dining plan can be a great deal if you have children on the dining plan under 10 otherwise I think you can do better without it.

Denise in MI

MissUndastood
07-22-2011, 07:36 AM
DDP is not always the most cost effective nor does it work for everyone. We used it once and that was enough.

Marionnette
07-22-2011, 11:29 AM
As I see it, you have three options. Well, actually 4, but I'm not touching that third rail. You can just leave it to your imagination.

You can

Skip the dining plan and pay out of pocket for everyone.
Buy the dining plan and use your son's credit for yourself and husband. Then pay out of pocket for what your son eats.
Go during free dining when his age won't matter.

The dining plan is not a good deal for everyone but if you plan to do buffets where you will be paying the adult price for your son, then it could still be worth it for you.

SandrA9810
07-22-2011, 11:43 AM
I always used the dining plan as the prime time to eat at character buffets. My ex always ordered off the kids menu, unless it was splurging on a double cheese burger... So any time we stayed at the resorts, we always did buffets that would automatically charge her an adult price, so it felt like we were getting our monies worth. For us, resort stays and dining plan were not all that often. I don't think it would work well for a week long vacation, unless your trip is about eating around the World.

DisneyMomma81
07-22-2011, 11:54 AM
If you want to pre-pay, put the money you would spent on the DP on a giftcard and use that to pay for the meals.

Another fantastic idea! We do this for Disneyland Resort *the dining plan there is never free and no where near as good as the WDW plans* I prefer to have 1 card and add $$ to it by calling DelivEARS ~877-560-6477*you give the CM your credit/debit card info and they mail you the receipt. Last time I did this *a couple months ago* the $$ was on the GC the next day. This way you only have 1 card to keep track of - make sure you record the card & pin #s *I like to email them to myself* if you lose the card they have to put the money back on a card, call as soon as you realize it's missing *if that happens* in case someone finds it and starts using it.....

mousebymarriage
07-22-2011, 12:11 PM
I agree with the posters that said you may want to skip the dining plan for now, at least until he's a bit older. Yes, he can stilll eat off the "kids section" at the buffets but you will still be charged the adult price for him, and I think if you have the dining plan he can still order from the kids menu but since the dining plan is pre-paid you actually paid the adult price anyway.

When my DD14 was 9 there were definatley times that I would switch meals with her because she was so sick of eating off the kids menu and honestly I never thought about bumping up her age (I wish I would have). When she turned 10 the dining plan worked well for us because she likes a variety of things and had a bigger appetite than 4 or 5 chicken nuggets, small bag of carrots and 6 grapes.

Now, DS10 on the other hand is not really an adventurous eater and he has a very small appetite. We just came back from Disney World and celebrated his 10th birthday there (it was a long weekend trip and we only visited 1 park -MK which was on his actual birthday-June 27th). Since the trip was so short we didn't do the dining plan but, we did eat dinner at Chef Mickeys on his birthday. The total bill out of pocket was $192.00 PLUS tip. That bill was for four people (all adults since DS10 is now an adult in Disneys eyes), no alcohol was ordered but, we did order (at the check in desk when we got there) a small 6 inch cake for DS, I think that cost $20 or $22. So without the cake the meal, a buffet, for four people was $172, and DS ate a few chicken nuggets, some veggies, and some mashed potatoes, and 2 bites of mac and cheese, and he didn't even have soda because he doesn't like it so he ordered water.

mom2randj
07-22-2011, 12:51 PM
Now, DS10 on the other hand is not really an adventurous eater and he has a very small appetite. We just came back from Disney World and celebrated his 10th birthday there (it was a long weekend trip and we only visited 1 park -MK which was on his actual birthday-June 27th). Since the trip was so short we didn't do the dining plan but, we did eat dinner at Chef Mickeys on his birthday. The total bill out of pocket was $192.00 PLUS tip. That bill was for four people (all adults since DS10 is now an adult in Disneys eyes), no alcohol was ordered but, we did order (at the check in desk when we got there) a small 6 inch cake for DS, I think that cost $20 or $22. So without the cake the meal, a buffet, for four people was $172, and DS ate a few chicken nuggets, some veggies, and some mashed potatoes, and 2 bites of mac and cheese, and he didn't even have soda because he doesn't like it so he ordered water.

And that's exactly why we are doing the DDP with our 8 and 10 year old. Wow! I know I would be pondering our bill the whole time if we didn't.

ancestry
07-22-2011, 01:39 PM
After the kids turned 10 we no longer used the DDP, it just wasn't cost efficient. Price out the meals you'd eat with and without the dining plan and see what's the best deal. Unless you're doing a lot of character meals/buffets, you're probably better off paying out of pocket.

I agree with this. We got the best value on the dining plan when our children were kids. I don't find it to be a really good value for adults unless you do a lot of buffets.

We usually try to have annual passes and a TIW card. The TIW card saves us 20% at each meal and we can eat what we want instead of being shoe-horned into the dining plan requirements (i.e. we prefer appetizers instead of desserts).