PDA

View Full Version : Can someone please answer some questions about Foodstamps for me?

LoveBWVVBR
07-19-2011, 08:02 AM
Long story short, I'm helping DD's teacher to apply for Foodstamps. Before I found out what was going on, she had literally gone without food at times this summer :( She is on about 1/2 salary because her hours are cut in the summer and she literally has no money. She has tried to find a second job, but to no avail.

My BFF is a social worker, and she says that if DD's teacher applies now, they only look back for 2 paychecks and she gets to keep that amount of foodstamps for 6 months. Is this accurate? Also, does anyone know what she will need to bring with her to apply? It sounds like her last 2 paystubs at the very least. Does she need last year's tax return or anything else? My friend told me that she can go right to the benefits office and apply/get approved on the spot. I just want to make sure that she has everything with her that she'll need to get approved. I'm telling her today that I'm going to go with her so she'll have moral support when she applies.

katrina1122
07-19-2011, 08:06 AM
Your state's assistance website should answer all of your questions.

I work for a county that does home energy heating assistance and all of that info is posted on our site and then linked to the state's site for all other assistance related info.

Madison'smommy
07-19-2011, 08:07 AM
I have no idea, but that is awesome of you to be there for her! I hope she gets the help that she needs!

Zydebearsmom
07-19-2011, 08:10 AM
She may not be able to keep them for the whole 6 months. When her pay increases she has to report the increase and they will possibly adjust her foodstamps up, down or completely discontinue her from the program. She does not need her tax return but will need her last two check stubs if paid biweekly or last four if paid weekly. She will only get them immediately if she falls below a certain income level if not she may receive them weeks later. Immediately does not mean while she is at the office but 3-4 days later. That is how it works in my state.

PudgetteD
07-19-2011, 08:16 AM
You might also look into Angel Food Ministries (they have a website, just the name with no spaces dot com), to stretch her food dollar. The boxes used to have lots of processed food but are better now. They offer fresh fruits/vegetables and meats that you can purchase without having to buy a regular box. Check out the website, it might help. (Not sure if they accept food stamps but the website will tell you) Those boxes got us through many a tough month when I lost my job.

QVCshopper
07-19-2011, 08:16 AM
She might be able to get food even faster from a local food bank. I donate to my local food bank all the time. They also provide emergency support for rent and heat. My neighbors are both teachers and they told me they would really have to stretch their budgets like crazy toward the end of the summer.

I'd also have her look at her budget to see if this shortfall is due to a certain factor like too high rent, etc., or if she can possibly set aside money during the school year in preparation for the summer. I hope she gets the help she needs; when I was a kid and my dad was out of work for a long time, our neighbor bought us groceries, then we went on food stamps and WIC. I always feel for people in that situation.

MEM
07-19-2011, 08:19 AM
I just looked into food stamps for a friend of mine. Here in Massachusetts they also look at assets like a house and 401Ks or other pension funds. Doesn't seem fair, to me, that someone who was careful with their money all of their life and paid into the welfare system can't take advantage of it when they need it.

disprincessatheart
07-19-2011, 08:19 AM
If she doesnt get them right away, be sure to have the info of some nearby food pantries on hand so she can get something! Or if you think she would accept you could take her some staples - loaf of bread, peanut butter, tuna, pasta. Wouldn't cost you a lot but with those few things she could probwbly eat for a week.

puffkin
07-19-2011, 08:41 AM
I second the idea of something like Angel Food Ministries or the food bank (to rectify the immediate need) rather than food stamps.

I guess I just have a fundamental problem with a teacher getting food stamps. It isn't like they don't know their pay will be reduced for the summer so they should prepare for that all year.

Rather than helping her get food stamps, I think a budgeting lesson should be in store! Also, she should check with her school to see if they have alternatives to paying her salary. I know my BIL's school district had an option to get their pay spread over 11 months rather than 9 for exactly this reason. He also got in trouble his first summer teaching because he didn't realize he didn't get paid in the summer :sad2: He is now on the 11 month plan and things are much better.

Zydebearsmom
07-19-2011, 08:58 AM
popcorn::

tifany
07-19-2011, 10:15 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds as if the DD's teacher is a preschool teacher. If that is correct, then they are usually paid hourly and since she stated that her hours were cut, then it makes sense that her pay was cut and that she is not a traditional elementary, middle school, or high school teacher.

I second the vote for Angel Food ministries . . . it really helps the dollar spread over the time for food items. Also, something to look at if she is interested in changing careers due to her income, she will qualify for things like WIA (Workforce Investment Act) where they will pay for her schooling if she goes into a specific field in demand, i.e. nursing.

Just some things to think about ;)

poohbear2
07-19-2011, 10:21 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds as if the DD's teacher is a preschool teacher. If that is correct, then they are usually paid hourly and since she stated that her hours were cut, then it makes sense that her pay was cut and that she is not a traditional elementary, middle school, or high school teacher.

I second the vote for Angel Food ministries . . . it really helps the dollar spread over the time for food items. Also, something to look at if she is interested in changing careers due to her income, she will qualify for things like WIA (Workforce Investment Act) where they will pay for her schooling if she goes into a specific field in demand, i.e. nursing.

And I am sure she makes very little if she works at a daycare.

momxx5
07-19-2011, 10:46 AM
It differs by state, what you have said is true about my state(NC).

You may want to check out the state's website about assistance before applying.
She will need 2 last paystubs, social security card, proof of residences(water or electric bill), dr. lic.

Right now our social service system is overloaded with teacher requests. They actually are requiring a "certificate of employment" filled out by the employer showing that the wages lost is temporary.

The system has many flaws and unfortunately those who are in true need often go without while others give false info and reap benefits. I know people in both cases.

Our local food bank also requires, social sec numbers for all in house, proof of res, dr. lic......and an application must be filled out. The initial process takes at least 1 hr and then they decide if you what you get, how often you can get it, etc.

I and sorry for your friend. I know some in her shoes. It sucks.
Prayers for her.....for better days.

LoveBWVVBR
07-19-2011, 11:03 AM
I second the idea of something like Angel Food Ministries or the food bank (to rectify the immediate need) rather than food stamps.

I guess I just have a fundamental problem with a teacher getting food stamps. It isn't like they don't know their pay will be reduced for the summer so they should prepare for that all year.

Rather than helping her get food stamps, I think a budgeting lesson should be in store! Also, she should check with her school to see if they have alternatives to paying her salary. I know my BIL's school district had an option to get their pay spread over 11 months rather than 9 for exactly this reason. He also got in trouble his first summer teaching because he didn't realize he didn't get paid in the summer :sad2: He is now on the 11 month plan and things are much better.

She's a preschool teacher, and she works all summer as a camp teacher at the school. Her hours are reduced this summer because camp is only half-day. She has been trying like heck to find a second job but hasn't had any luck. How exactly does one budget a whole $500 a month when the rent takes all but $100 of that?

LoveBWVVBR
07-19-2011, 11:09 AM

Yes, she is a preschool teacher, paid hourly. I was actually thinking of suggesting going back to community college because I figured that she'd get a Pell Grant with her income level. She loves what she does, but the pay just isn't there.

I'll look into Angel Food Ministries. It sounds like it may be a good option for her.

puffkin
07-19-2011, 11:45 AM
She's a preschool teacher, and she works all summer as a camp teacher at the school. Her hours are reduced this summer because camp is only half-day. She has been trying like heck to find a second job but hasn't had any luck. How exactly does one budget a whole $500 a month when the rent takes all but $100 of that?

Sorry, I was thinking she was a traditional teacher.

There is not much you can do in a profession like that...the pay just isn't there. One thing to suggest to her is if she does find a PT job to hang onto it through the school year (even if it is just working 1 shift a week) so that she can keep it for summers when she needs it more. She can then bank that money to help her through the lean summers. Even if she just puts away $50/mo during the school year...it sounds like that would really help her over the summers.

Maybe you could suggest doing some IOU's with her. Maybe buy her a weeks worth of groceries in exchange for a night or two of babysitting sometime in the future. Maybe if a few other parents could do this to get her through the summer?

sorul82?
07-19-2011, 11:53 AM

Not to take this out on you, but I am so tired of the "well, they should have...." posts.

What they "should" have done doesn't feed a hungry person today.

Again, I don't mean to single out puffkin. :flower3:

eliza61
07-19-2011, 12:05 PM
Not to take this out on you, but I am so tired of the "well, they should have...." posts.

What they "should" have done doesn't feed a hungry person today.

Again, I don't mean to signal out puffkin. :flower3:

:confused3 Never understood it either. hindsight is 20/20 but if a person has no food today, being told what they "should' have done is pretty useless. ah well.

Op, guidelines vary by state. have her start all the processes at the same time. In NJ unless you are homeless and destitute its a bit harder to get what is called emergency immediate aide. Also NJ & PA have the food bank of NJ which provides some assistance.

Good luck and thanks for helping her out.

sorul82?
07-19-2011, 12:07 PM
I wonder why I typed "single" twice and it was changed to "signal" twice? :confused3

kt_mom
07-19-2011, 12:21 PM
:confused3 Never understood it either. hindsight is 20/20 but if a person has no food today, being told what they "should' have done is pretty useless. ah well.

It's not useless. Maybe it will help the person to know for the future so they don't end up in the same situation again next year.

I like the food bank idea or the idea of helping her out in exchange for babysitting or some other service that she may be able to provide the families she has worked with.

JB2K
07-19-2011, 12:27 PM
OP - if your friend is looking for work, it was reported in the news that Target will be hiring 6,000+ workers for their stores across the U.S.

Retail doesn't pay big, but it should keep your friend off the public rolls.

LoveBWVVBR
07-19-2011, 12:41 PM
OP - if your friend is looking for work, it was reported in the news that Target will be hiring 6,000+ workers for their stores across the U.S.

Retail doesn't pay big, but it should keep your friend off the public rolls.

I will let her know! There is a Target in her town. Of course, her down is also losing it's major employer right now, so there will probably be 50 applicants for every job:guilty:

LisaNJ25
07-19-2011, 03:28 PM
I will let her know! There is a Target in her town. Of course, her down is also losing it's major employer right now, so there will probably be 50 applicants for every job:guilty:

Does she coupon? Maybe post the name of your local grocery stores and someone could post the link to sites to help match up deals for that specific store.

momejay
07-19-2011, 03:36 PM
We had to use food stamps last year. We had a number of things go wrong, leaky roof, lees hours at work, X-husband lost his job and had no child support coming in...

Whatever the reason...it wasn't easy to get food stamps. I needed all kinds of ID for everyone in the household. Paystubs for the past 2 years not 2 months. Incometax returns they didn't want to see. (everyone lies on their taxes...I was told) SS#s for everyone in household. Proof children were enrolled in school and had health insurance. I also needed...Bank statements, household bills, divorce agreement, rental agreement and probably a thousand other things.

After all this trouble, we were given $129 a month for 6 months for a family of 5. (Two of them being autistic and on a special diet) It really helped us get back on our feet and I am grateful for every penny.

shaylyn
07-19-2011, 03:48 PM
In our state, they count every asset you have, including the value of your car. It was much more complicated than showing 2 paystubs.

We were unable to get food stamps when Dh was unemployed because of assets alone.

Hope you friend can get some help. The local food bank might be a good option for her.

ancestry
07-19-2011, 03:56 PM
What about helping her locate a food pantry or a food bank?

sorul82?
07-19-2011, 04:12 PM
What about helping her locate a food pantry or a food bank?

see post #6 :thumbsup2

VagueFury
07-19-2011, 04:50 PM
Every state is a little different but she should bring all of these in case.

As many pay stubs as she has
Her most recent utility bills
Proof of residency and the most recent rent payment proof
Most recent bank statement
ID, Soc, and Birth Certificate for everyone in the home
Proof of any children being in school
Something to show any and every source of income... this is really important if they see that income is 500 and outgoing bills are like 1200. They will ask how you are paying those bills and either the answer is you're not, or you need proof of how you are paying them.
Marriage, divorce, and custody papers if needed

And you still may not have everything they want. They will most likely give her a list of anything else she needs and an envelope to send it back in. Tell her to take them in instead. Things get lost in the mail and if you hand it to them they give you a receipt as proof you brought the stuff in.

For food call the Salvation Army or United Way and they can give you the names of a couple nearby food pantries. Make sure you ask exactly what each pantry wants you to bring and what days and times they're open.

ilovemk76
07-19-2011, 04:58 PM

Op, guidelines vary by state. have her start all the processes at the same time. In NJ unless you are homeless and destitute its a bit harder to get what is called emergency immediate aide. Also NJ & PA have the food bank of NJ which provides some assistance.

Good luck and thanks for helping her out.

There are two reason this IS helpful. The first is that a person who might be looking into a job like this needs to realize there will be lean times and they SHOULD DO X. The second is that is prevents her from being in this same position next year. A big problem is many do the same thing year after year and expect the results to be different.

She is trying to fix the problem by getting a second job, not sure how soon she started looking, and that is a good thing.

momxx5
07-19-2011, 05:18 PM
A suggestion for your friend.....check into the local/county school system...to maybe become a substitute teacher.

Our county requires a certification from a class at the local community college(I had a garage sale last yr to raise the $125 for class).

The class took 10 weeks (3hrs one day a week)....which felt like forever, but at the end I was able to sub-teach and the daily pay is pretty good. Of course I had to find a second job for income during the summer.

I will continue to work two jobs forever.....if I can. As we have yet to recover from DH's job elimination over 2 yrs ago.

Good luck to your friend.

(maybe just putting the word out that she needs some help....a $20 grocery store gift card would make my week....I'd stretch it to feed all 7 of us if I had to....and I've had to)

GinnyEmma
07-19-2011, 05:53 PM
She can't figure out how to apply for help and you want get teaching school??? Are you kidding?

Eta: I mean subbing, not preschool.

LisaTC
07-19-2011, 06:13 PM
Sorry for your teacher friend's predicament. I wouldn't presume to judge her circumstance, things are very tough and you never know who it may affect...could be the person next door. What about her/your church. I like the trade off idea. Yard work, house work, mother's helper in exchange for groceries, grocery card. Good idea.

mum4jenn
07-19-2011, 06:25 PM
There might be a way to apply on-line also to get things started. I know here you can apply on-line and then a couple of days later someone from that department calls and then also mails you a list of what else is needed or copies of what items like paychecks are to be mailed or brought in.

I know it varies from state to state on the procedures though. ALso on-line they might have a calculator that will give an approx. amount that she would receive.

Traveliz
07-19-2011, 08:17 PM
She can't figure out how to apply for help and you want get teaching school??? Are you kidding?

Kind of rude and the sentence made no sense anyway.

Liz

snarlingcoyote
07-19-2011, 08:41 PM
I vote with the food bank for immediate relief; and that you should go online and see if your state has the requirements posted.

Also, if she decides to try the food bank, she needs to call ahead; some want appointments especially for first visits; also, many work thru' various grants and assistance programs or have internal governing bodies that require that people meet eligibility standarrds; a volunteer at the food bank can tell her what she will need to bring.

GinnyEmma
07-20-2011, 06:12 AM
Kind of rude and the sentence made no sense anyway.

Liz

Lol, the grammar police come out.

Someone suggested this person substituting in the schools. She can't figure out how to look up this information or to call about it? Ludicrous. (sorry that isn't a full sentence...I'm sure you can figure it out...)

Judique
07-20-2011, 08:23 AM
Lol, the grammar police come out.

Someone suggested this person substituting in the schools. She can't figure out how to look up this information or to call about it? Ludicrous. (sorry that isn't a full sentence...I'm sure you can figure it out...)

She may need some support to take the step towards getting help.

I am so glad to see that the original poster is there to help her. Thanks to LOVEBWVVBR for being caring and human. It is so easy for others to turn their back or to be critics.

GinnyEmma - I am so sorry for you. You lack compassion - or at least you give that impression in your posting. Perhaps it will come to you in time. Or - is this kind of posting what one might call internet bullying?

gracie1
07-20-2011, 09:16 AM
I would also look into local food banks and soup kitchens. Even if she gets the food stamps, she could possibly get something from the local food bank until the food stamps come in.

gracie1
07-20-2011, 09:18 AM

You know, a lot of times it's not that people don't know how to apply, but they don't want to. They feel ashamed (which they shouldn't) or believe it or not, they always feel that someone else may be less fortunate or need the help more than they do.

tink2dw
07-20-2011, 10:48 AM
For Immediate help go to Salvation Army and/ or St Vincent De Paul or Catholic Charities Services they should help. This economy has hit many many people in the pocket book! And don't count on nursing as being bulletproof any more, it's not!!

I live on a tiny fixed income. It was good for making rent and electric. Until now! This year rents, even with leases, are soaring as more and more former homeowner are entering the rental pool! Driving up the rents, My rent went up $107.00. So. I feel for this Woman!!

And the unemployment rates are the highest in the nation here.

We have to move in to a bigger Rental house with a willing relative who offered to live there and help pay 1/2 the rent and utilities. It is a godsend!!

There have been times we go hungry and we have no gasoline for the car. It isn't fun. In May I lost 16 lbs. My church stepped in and has helped us out a couple of times. For which I am very grateful.

Did you know that Food Stamps will not pay for any kind of bathroom paper product??

I don't know how or why the Tree Council didn't put their two cents in and lobby for citizens dignity, but they didn't. And with the demise of Wards and Sears Wish book catalogs there arent any alternatives.

I have been trying to sell some items. But no one has any extra money to buy anything!!

hmmm and just so there are no flames... I'm wifi-ing off the apt free hot spot.

Anjelica
07-20-2011, 10:57 AM
Does she have to keep the summer camp job to be guaranteed a spot in the fall? If not I definetly think she needs to find a better paying summer job (with more hours) if at all possible.

Since she is a preschool teacher she could watch children during the summer for parents like my hubby/self. My sister-in-law watches them during the summer at our house. She gets paid a daily rate along with reimbursement for expenses such as food/gas.

csharpwv
07-20-2011, 11:03 AM
You know, a lot of times it's not that people don't know how to apply, but they don't want to. They feel ashamed (which they shouldn't) or believe it or not, they always feel that someone else may be less fortunate or need the help more than they do.

I doubt very seriously this person WANTS to apply for public assistance - I imagine that they would much rather be self sufficient - and hadn't even thought about applying because they are ashamed, or once someone affirmed that they do need help, and actually qualify for public assistance - I would imagine that they thought about it a little differently.

I grew up in an area where out of a Middle School class of around 80, I was one of 4 students that did not qualify for free or reduced lunch. Often times, the people who need the most help always see others as needier than themselves.

LoveBWVVBR
07-20-2011, 12:13 PM
I would also look into local food banks and soup kitchens. Even if she gets the food stamps, she could possibly get something from the local food bank until the food stamps come in.

I'm a really good couponer so I've got her covered until the Foodstamps come in. She's not going hungry now...that stopped as soon as I found out what was going on. I donate a lot of my free-after-coupon stuff to the foodbank, so I figure that this is just cutting out the middleman.

At this point it looks like she should apply online. I'm going to see if she can sit with me on Friday and get it done.

CdnCarrie
07-20-2011, 12:33 PM
A suggestion for your friend.....check into the local/county school system...to maybe become a substitute teacher.

Our county requires a certification from a class at the local community college(I had a garage sale last yr to raise the $125 for class).

The class took 10 weeks (3hrs one day a week)....which felt like forever, but at the end I was able to sub-teach and the daily pay is pretty good. Of course I had to find a second job for income during the summer.

I will continue to work two jobs forever.....if I can. As we have yet to recover from DH's job elimination over 2 yrs ago.

Good luck to your friend.

(maybe just putting the word out that she needs some help....a $20 grocery store gift card would make my week....I'd stretch it to feed all 7 of us if I had to....and I've had to)

Don't you need a Bachelor of Education degree to be a substitute teacher?

You do in Canada. :confused3:confused3

DCLbrideSept2009
07-20-2011, 12:48 PM

I know of at least one school district here in Texas where you only have to have a high school diploma. They pay differently based on your level of education. An actual teaching degree would pay higher for subbing than someone with just a HS diploma, obviously. But you can still sub with only a HS diploma.

mum4jenn
07-20-2011, 12:52 PM

Around here you just have to have graduated for HIgh School, have a drivers license, and pass a back ground check.

Oh and there is a test you have to pass...I think it has basic math skills, language skills, etc. on it.

CdnCarrie
07-20-2011, 12:55 PM
I know of at least one school district here in Texas where you only have to have a high school diploma. They pay differently based on your level of education. An actual teaching degree would pay higher for subbing than someone with just a HS diploma, obviously. But you can still sub with only a HS diploma.

Wow. Really? Here you have to have a 5 year teaching degree to get any kind of teaching job in a public school including subbing. Subs are usually retired teachers and new grads.

Not sure how I would feel about my kids being taught by someone with only a HS diploma. :scared1:

Is it more common in states where teachers are not unionized? Our teachers are all in a super strong union.

As for preschool (daycare) teachers they either have to have a degree in child development or a 2 year college diploma in child care. :goodvibes

dawson5
07-20-2011, 01:24 PM
I went to an informational meeting two years ago for bus drivers. There were potential substitute teachers there also, thought they were required to hold a degree. I didn't pay attention, not what I was interested in.

OP glad you are helping her. I am guessing she can do it, just needs a shoulder for support. This must be a low time in her life. I can't imagine anyone wanting to do this. I would think that is apparent as she was starving herself, instead of seeking assistance. Good luck with those forms, we all know how straightforward and easy-to-understand any government forms are.:headache:

On a side note: When I was in HS, my Algebra teacher was going through a nasty divorce and custody battle. We had a retired teacher for a sub (we called him secret squirrel--he would hide the bathroom stalls to bust guys smoking in the bathroom). I would have loved to have had someone/anyone in there who actually taught and knew/understood the materials. He handed out papers, didn't explain anything. I was lost after having him. I had no idea how to do the problems and on my final exam, that was the only part I failed (sine, cosine and tangent I believe).

mum4jenn
07-20-2011, 02:03 PM
Wow. Really? Here you have to have a 5 year teaching degree to get any kind of teaching job in a public school including subbing. Subs are usually retired teachers and new grads.

Not sure how I would feel about my kids being taught by someone with only a HS diploma. :scared1:

Is it more common in states where teachers are not unionized? Our teachers are all in a super strong union.

As for preschool (daycare) teachers they either have to have a degree in child development or a 2 year college diploma in child care. :goodvibes

For a long term sub they normally have a retired teacher or a grad student. BUt for one day because a tacher is out ill..its just a regular sub who is there to make sure the kids do the work prepared for the sub. THey don't really do any actual teaching...just providing supervision,

CdnCarrie
07-20-2011, 02:11 PM
For a long term sub they normally have a retired teacher or a grad student. BUt for one day because a tacher is out ill..its just a regular sub who is there to make sure the kids do the work prepared for the sub. THey don't really do any actual teaching...just providing supervision,

That does make sense if all they are doing is supervising I guess.

Sorry to get off topic. It just kind of popped out at me and I had noticed it mentioned around here before and kind of wondered.

No way our super duper strong teacher's union would allow a non teaching professional to be in charge of a classroom. Even when I worked in a school library it was made very clear to me that I was not allowed to do any kind of teaching or be in charge of a class.

nunzia
07-20-2011, 02:31 PM
I'm glad you're helping your son's preschool teacher and passing on ideas to help her not be in this situation forever. If her finances are tight all year and the summer hour cutting pushed her over the top, she may want to look into a part time job year round after hours (pizza, retail, food service, child care)..if she is creative she could do craft fairs (as I did during rough years) or search for things to sell on ebay/craigslist. Maybe this can be a wake up call for her to have a plan for this type of thing..rainy days always do seem to come.
New Mexico is pretty loose with subs..they keep changing what is needed..it used to be 60 college hours, then 30 and I think they had for a time not required any, but a class and background check. We do have unions..when I was a teacher I did not join. I was allowed to teach with a different degree for a time and when the time came to decide if I wanted to go for a quickie type masters plan to be fully certified I decided that wasn't what I wanted..at all..
I also agree with food pantries or church help for immediate need..we give vouchers all the time for asistance and hopefully it's just for a rough patch and not a way of life. Super easy to get food stamps in NM..in fact they seem to encourage it by calling it something else and encouraging folks to apply.

puffkin
07-20-2011, 02:59 PM
Sorry to get off topic. It just kind of popped out at me and I had noticed it mentioned around here before and kind of wondered.

No way our super duper strong teacher's union would allow a non teaching professional to be in charge of a classroom. Even when I worked in a school library it was made very clear to me that I was not allowed to do any kind of teaching or be in charge of a class.

Yeah, I have learned from these boards that location does matter! Here in PA the teachers are heavily unionized. Most of them get paid pretty well for degreed profession...I believe the average teacher pay in my district is $55k. They also get very good benefits packages. That is why there is always such an uproar at school budget time because our school taxes are insane. Subs are degreed teaching professionals that either are retired, laid off, or fresh out of college. For only working 185 days a year, getting all holidays and "weather" days off, very low employee contributions to health insurance, pensions, etc, that is a pretty good job!

In other parts of the country, it is a COMPLETELY different story. It is a very low paid profession with little benefit and reward. Our old neighbors moved to SC and they couldn't believe the difference in the public schools. But then again their taxes are about 1/4 of what they had been in PA for a bigger home.

GinnyEmma
07-20-2011, 03:11 PM
Around here you just have to have graduated for HIgh School, have a drivers license, and pass a back ground check.

I think I'd be moving. Hope your kid's teacher doesn't come down with a long term illness.

mum4jenn
07-20-2011, 04:24 PM
I think I'd be moving. Hope your kid's teacher doesn't come down with a long term illness.

As I already said any teacher out for a long time has a long-time sub which is normally a retired teacher. For example we had a teacher out for 1/2 the school year because of cancer...she had a teacher in there that had just retired the previous year. Another teacher went out on maternity leave at Spring break and they had a a teacher in that had taken some time off to stay with her kids while they were young and planned on returning to teaching this coming year.

JamesMom
07-20-2011, 04:35 PM

NYEmomma
07-20-2011, 07:55 PM

Here in Ohio (public schools, at least) you have to have a bachelor's degree in ANYTHING to substitute teach. And pay $90 or so for a subbing license -- you have to pass a background check in order to get that.

Long-term subs (subs for longer than one or two weeks, though I forget the exact number of days) are required to be licensed teachers.

It's what all of us Ohioans with useless education degrees do these days. :rolleyes: :(

m&m's mom
07-20-2011, 09:11 PM
I am in Texas and in reality all of the substitutes at both my DD's schools have a minimum of Bachelors. There are so many people - either previously laid off or SAHM's looking for a little extra $ that we have a surplus of qualified teachers.

a1tinkfans
07-20-2011, 09:19 PM
OP how nice of you to offer your help!
Good Luck to your friend, hope it works out for her.
I agree, though, she needs to be better prepared for next year. somehow make ends meet thru the summer..as I personally do not see things getting better any time soon, so many struggling! :grouphug:

quentina
07-20-2011, 09:36 PM
Also, what about unemployment? If hours are reduced and she is able and available for work, she would qualify (assuming this is preschool/daycare setting). I spend hours each week filling out forms for people with reduced hours.

Mom_Rides
07-20-2011, 09:41 PM
When I was out of work 2 years ago, a friend of my SIL let us know that her church offered food boxes to anyone who came to the church on a certain day, until the food was gone. I went to the church about an hour before the distribution began and got a number and then waited. The church was very generous and asked when we got our number if we were in need of clothing as they had a room full of all kinds of clothing. Then they took me and my DD to a little kids area and let her pick out a couple of little donated toys. They had refreshments while we waited and had a bookmobile set up where my DD was able to pick 2 books out.

It took several hours for them to call our number but when we finally got to the boxes, we were able to pick one of this and one of that. In our box we got:

A whole ham
A turkey
Fresh Carrots
A bag of potatoes
Canned soup
Canned veggies
Canned fruits
A bottle of juice
A bag of rice
Shelf stable milk
Bagged salad
Bread
Two bakery items donated from the local Meijer and Kroger store

There were other things in our box too but those things I remember. I was very appreciative of what we received from the church and the way we were treated. It helped to feed our family for at least a week. I know there are two churches by my work that do this type of thing as well. Perhaps there is a church in your area that does this type of thing. Good luck to your friend, I hope she gets the help she needs. You're a very good person for assisting her :hug:

MomToOne
07-20-2011, 11:35 PM
I'm a really good couponer so I've got her covered until the Foodstamps come in. She's not going hungry now...that stopped as soon as I found out what was going on. I donate a lot of my free-after-coupon stuff to the foodbank, so I figure that this is just cutting out the middleman.

:cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

It's nice to read about someone taking a real step to help someone else.

(And I'm not sure why this thread now seems to be about substitute teacher requirements in different states....:rolleyes1)

LisaTC
07-21-2011, 06:15 AM
Here in Ohio (public schools, at least) you have to have a bachelor's degree in ANYTHING to substitute teach. And pay $90 or so for a subbing license -- you have to pass a background check in order to get that. Long-term subs (subs for longer than one or two weeks, though I forget the exact number of days) are required to be licensed teachers.

It's what all of us Ohioans with useless education degrees do these days. :rolleyes: :(

Was just getting ready to post this. It is a sad state of affairs in OH with so many grads with ed degrees who spend years substituting only to go on to do something else totally unrelated. Don't know that I would recommend anybody becoming a teacher in Ohio. Even to be a teachers aide you need to go through a process and pay for a permit and they prefer degreed applicants.

:cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

It's nice to read about someone taking a real step to help someone else.

(And I'm not sure why this thread now seems to be about substitute teacher requirements in different states....:rolleyes1)

Absolutely! What wonderful news. Wouldn't life be great if we helped just one person like you are dong! Kudos.

LoveBWVVBR
07-21-2011, 06:26 AM
Also, what about unemployment? If hours are reduced and she is able and available for work, she would qualify (assuming this is preschool/daycare setting). I spend hours each week filling out forms for people with reduced hours.

She tried to file for unemployment and was unsuccessful :( I think that this is why she assumed that she wouldn't qualify for any forms of assistance like Foodstamps.

Traveliz
07-21-2011, 07:56 AM
She tried to file for unemployment and was unsuccessful :( I think that this is why she assumed that she wouldn't qualify for any forms of assistance like Foodstamps.

Those are two totally different programs with two totally different sets of requirements. I don't think she should assume she isn't eligible. It never hurts to try.

Liz