PDA

View Full Version : Atlantis on your own

Turtlemom
07-18-2011, 03:24 PM
We are doing a 3 night cruise on the Dream in August and would like to see Atlantis (and play in the water) without paying the DCL excursion fee. How do I go about getting access to the Atlantis resort and water parks on my own without paying a fortune???? I know this is probably answered somewhere on these threads, but any help/suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks!

travelfanatic
07-18-2011, 03:42 PM
We booked a room at the comfort suites at Atlantis which gave us full access for use of the resort. The cost for the 4 of us was substantially lower than paying DCL's fee. You just book a room, check in, get your wristbands and that's it! Pretty easy access. Give it a shot!:thumbsup2

Turtlemom
07-18-2011, 04:41 PM
Thanks! We'll give it a try.
Do you know if the Comfort Inn is walking distance from the Atlantis water parks???? I assume you would just take a taxi from the ship to the hotel, but wondering what you would do from there.

callieskye
07-18-2011, 05:21 PM
just walk out the back door at comfort suites & you are on the resort, walk to Royal tower, signs posted, to obtain the braclets, the booth is down the stairs by the aquarium which you can't miss.

lark
07-18-2011, 07:22 PM
Right -- taxi from the port to Comfort Suites then about a 5 to 10 minute walk to the place where you get your wrist bands.

They've changed the procedure a bit now and it requires an extra step. It used to be that you could take your comfort suite keys to any towel hut and get your wrist bands. Now you need to stop in the bottom floor of the Royal tower, sign a waiver form, and get your wrist bands before you go out to the pools.

All in all, there is a good amount of transaction time. We really wanted to be at the slides at 10:00 when they opened. We were one of the first groups off the ship, just behind the excursion group, after it cleared customs. We were in the first taxi to leave the port, and when we got to comfort suites, there was virtually no line. We walked quickly to the Royal Tower to get our wristbands. Even so, we did not make it to our first slide until 10:05 -- still pretty good.

wrpfctr7
07-18-2011, 07:41 PM
I just came back from our Disney cruise abord the Dream (7/10-15) and the replies here are just about right. The taxi ride from the ship to Comfort Inn and Suites is $4 per person. Make sure that you let the desk clerk know that you WILL NOT be using the room. If you do, your rate will be cheaper. They will give you a voucher that you have to take to the AquaAdventure desk to get your wristbands. Be advised: They will only give you wristbands for the number of people that is shown on your voucher. (The person at the AquaAdventure desk made sure to count the number of people that were supposed to get wristbands) Once you have your wristbands, walk through "The Dig" (Atlantis' aquarium) and you exit in the waterpark! I would take heed to the last post about getting off the ship AS SOON as they allow you to. It takes a bit of time to get all of that stuff (as well as some walking). We got off the ship around 10am (They allowed people off around 9-9:15am) and by the time we got to the waterpark it was slightly past 12 noon. The ship leaves at 7pm, but you should be heading back before 5:30pm because traffic tends to pick up around that time.

KarlaG4Kids
07-18-2011, 08:54 PM
Make sure that you let the desk clerk know that you WILL NOT be using the room. If you do, your rate will be cheaper. .S

So how did you book your room? Did you book ahead (and the desk clerk adjusted your bill) or did you just wait until you got there hoping they would have availability?

Fltwin
07-18-2011, 09:49 PM
I just came back from our Disney cruise abord the Dream (7/10-15) and the replies here are just about right. The taxi ride from the ship to Comfort Inn and Suites is $4 per person. Make sure that you let the desk clerk know that you WILL NOT be using the room. If you do, your rate will be cheaper. They will give you a voucher that you have to take to the AquaAdventure desk to get your wristbands. Be advised: They will only give you wristbands for the number of people that is shown on your voucher. (The person at the AquaAdventure desk made sure to count the number of people that were supposed to get wristbands) Once you have your wristbands, walk through "The Dig" (Atlantis' aquarium) and you exit in the waterpark! I would take heed to the last post about getting off the ship AS SOON as they allow you to. It takes a bit of time to get all of that stuff (as well as some walking). We got off the ship around 10am (They allowed people off around 9-9:15am) and by the time we got to the waterpark it was slightly past 12 noon. The ship leaves at 7pm, but you should be heading back before 5:30pm
because traffic tends to pick up around that time.

Are there many things for a three year old there?

jfis1020
07-18-2011, 10:02 PM
S

So how did you book your room? Did you book ahead (and the desk clerk adjusted your bill) or did you just wait until you got there hoping they would have availability?

Do tell!:idea:

travelfanatic
07-18-2011, 10:33 PM
S

You book on the comfort suites website and you definitely want to book ahead of time. I certainly would not want to walk up hoping they had a room. No telling how much they would charge you!:scared1:

scootch
07-18-2011, 10:36 PM
I booked via the choice hotels site. They even take points if you are a member. We have done it twice with the second time being FREE since I had enough choice privilege points. It is very quick and easy. You can check in and out at the same time. Just do a search here on disboards of Comfort Suites and you fill find a ton of info. I take my girls alone and it has been very easy.... and much, much cheaper.

Fltwin
07-18-2011, 11:26 PM
I booked via the choice hotels site. They even take points if you are a member. We have done it twice with the second time being FREE since I had enough choice privilege points. It is very quick and easy. You can check in and out at the same time. Just do a search here on disboards of Comfort Suites and you fill find a ton of info. I take my girls alone and it has been very easy.... and much, much cheaper.
Am I seeing it correcty on their website that the room for myself, dh, and ds would only be 169.00 for the night? That would give us full access to aqauventure right? Seems very reasonable. Booking it thru DCL would be 125.00 for one adult alone,,,,,,,,

smeecanada
07-19-2011, 01:50 AM
Thinking about doing Atlantis next July. Couple of questions.
If you are not using the room at Comfort Inn - are there lockers available for your stuff at Atlantis? Also, are towels available or should we bring them from the ship?

lark
07-19-2011, 09:24 AM
Thinking about doing Atlantis next July. Couple of questions.
If you are not using the room at Comfort Inn - are there lockers available for your stuff at Atlantis? Also, are towels available or should we bring them from the ship?

Yes to both. Towels are handed out at huts around the property. Lockers are in the pink structure behind and to the right of the pyramid slides. Lockers are pricey -- up to $20 for a large one.

GrnMtnMan
07-19-2011, 11:44 AM
Are there many things for a three year old there?
Yes.

Three kid pool areas, with slides, dump bucket, and interactive features. And kids can ride the Aquventure river system with parents in double tubes....there's no height requirement for the Rapids and the wavy Current portions, or the truly lazy river on the other side of the resort.

Fltwin
07-19-2011, 12:31 PM
Yes.

Three kid pool areas, with slides, dump bucket, and interactive features. And kids can ride the Aquventure river system with parents in double tubes....there's no height requirement for the Rapids and the wavy Current portions, or the truly lazy river on the other side of the resort.

very good to know. You just sold me. I appreciate the reply :)

piglet33
07-19-2011, 12:44 PM
Make sure that you let the desk clerk know that you WILL NOT be using the room. If you do, your rate will be cheaper.

I didn't know this! About how much cheaper was your room? Thanks for the info.

Mickeygolf
07-19-2011, 12:56 PM
The general information is if you check in and check out all at the same time you will not be charged the Energy fee which is approximately $13.00 per adult and I believe you do not pay the $5.00/pp mandatory gratuity. Others can correct me if this is wrong.

I made my reservation for 1 adult and 3 kids. It was $166.00 plus tax which came to $231.68. If I check in and out all at the same time that's what I should expect to pay. If I decided to use the room I'll add an additional $33.00 to that amount. My DW or I will just purchase a one day pass at Atlantis. You can cancel these reservations 4 days in advance of your stay. I'll contact Atlantis to make sure they'll have day passes that day and I'll check the weather to make sure it will be a nice day. I know those two things are not gauranteed, but it will give me a good enough idea to decide if I want to keep the reservation or cancel. Hope this helps.

lark
07-19-2011, 01:27 PM
The general information is if you check in and check out all at the same time you will not be charged the Energy fee which is approximately $13.00 per adult and I believe you do not pay the $5.00/pp mandatory gratuity. Others can correct me if this is wrong.

I made my reservation for 1 adult and 3 kids. It was $166.00 plus tax which came to $231.68. If I check in and out all at the same time that's what I should expect to pay. If I decided to use the room I'll add an additional $33.00 to that amount. My DW or I will just purchase a one day pass at Atlantis. You can cancel these reservations 4 days in advance of your stay. I'll contact Atlantis to make sure they'll have day passes that day and I'll check the weather to make sure it will be a nice day. I know those two things are not gauranteed, but it will give me a good enough idea to decide if I want to keep the reservation or cancel. Hope this helps.

We were charged $38 extra for the add ons when we checked in (and told them we didn't need the room). Not sure if that's more or less or the same as what we would have been charged if we had taken the room.

mom_rules
07-19-2011, 02:50 PM
Wow! Cheapest room I could find in the winter is $279!

travelfanatic
07-19-2011, 03:09 PM
Wow! Cheapest room I could find in the winter is $279!

Yeah but $279 is way cheaper than the $600+ I would have paid through DCL for the 4 of us to go to Atlantis, so when you look at it like that it's a DEAL! :thumbsup2

Turtlemom
07-19-2011, 04:40 PM
Wow--thank you to everyone for all of the great advice!!! I will definitely be booking a room for our August cruise.

Quick question on what to bring--looks like you check in and out, get the wristbands, and you can pick up towels at the Aquaventure park???? Locker availability is also key.

When you went, was there anything that you wished you had brought with you other than swimsuit, sunscreen, coverup and change of clothes????
Is it easy to find a place to sit/camp out???
Is there any shade???

Any advice would be much appreciated!!!!

lark
07-19-2011, 05:02 PM
Wow--thank you to everyone for all of the great advice!!! I will definitely be booking a room for our August cruise.

Quick question on what to bring--looks like you check in and out, get the wristbands, and you can pick up towels at the Aquaventure park???? Locker availability is also key.

When you went, was there anything that you wished you had brought with you other than swimsuit, sunscreen, coverup and change of clothes????
Is it easy to find a place to sit/camp out???
Is there any shade???

Any advice would be much appreciated!!!!

You don't even have to bring a change of clothes if you don't want to. They have cabs that have plastic on the seats, and they will take you back to port in your suit if you like. If you might want to go to the Atlantis beach, you'd want to pack more, like for a traditional beach day, but you can get all the towels you want on site. If you're going to eat at one of the nicer restaurants (very expensive), you'd want a fuller change of clothes.

Sunscreen definitely. A t-shirt or coverup is a good idea. A good secure waterproof way to keep your key card, a credit card, and your ID on you is good to have. Water shoes are crucial if you are going to do the slides. It keeps you from walking on the hot bricks and you don't need to take them off and hold them when you go on the rides.

You might also want to give some thought to passports. We were not on a disney excursion, so knew we were on our own if we didn't get back to the ship, so we took ours in an abundance of caution just in case there was crazy traffic or something unexpected that caused us to miss the ship and we needed to fly home or something. I just rented a locker and put them in there for a few bucks.

Turtlemom
07-19-2011, 05:34 PM
Thanks, Lark!!!
Do you remember about how long did it take you to get back to the ship???? We also would be going on our own, so I had not thought about the passport issue. Guess we would just have to leave in plenty of time to make it back prior to the 7:00pm deadline (preferably back to the ship by 6:00 at the latest.

lark
07-19-2011, 06:49 PM
Thanks, Lark!!!
Do you remember about how long did it take you to get back to the ship???? We also would be going on our own, so I had not thought about the passport issue. Guess we would just have to leave in plenty of time to make it back prior to the 7:00pm deadline (preferably back to the ship by 6:00 at the latest.

We planned to leave at 5:30, but actually ended up not leaving the pools until about 5:50 because we just had to get that one last slide in. It was close to a 10 minute walk to where to pick up cabs. We got a cab right away and hit some traffic. It takes a few minutes to get through the cruise terminal and back to the ship -- I'd say we got there around 6:30 or so and there was a brief moment of stress on my part when we were sitting in traffic. I think we were among the very last back on board. I wouldn't recommend leaving it that late.

smeecanada
07-19-2011, 06:56 PM
Yes to both. Towels are handed out at huts around the property. Lockers are in the pink structure behind and to the right of the pyramid slides. Lockers are pricey -- up to $20 for a large one.

Thanks, looking forward to going. We didn't go the last time as we were already doing Typhoon Lagoon and Blizzard Beach. This time around we are leaving from New York, so only one day at the parks. Perfect time to go to Atlantis.

KarlaG4Kids
07-19-2011, 09:33 PM
Can anyone tell me how many rewards points it will take to book a room at comfort suites? Approximately since I know the price varies.

Turtlemom
07-20-2011, 01:21 PM
Thank you so much for all the information and advice!
I just booked our room for 4 (2 Adults & 2 kids) on Aug. 26 for $166 (estimated $231 with taxes and fees). Hopefully, they won't charge all the fees if the pp is correct! Looking forward to our adventure!!!

Also, in answer to the prior question I think the Comfort Suites website mentioned 25,000 points per room (not sure if this is correct, since I just joined the rewards program with this booking and don't really know how things work).

Anyways--thanks again everyone!!!!! :thumbsup2

Turtlemom
07-20-2011, 01:23 PM
Ok--after talking to DH, one final silly question. We are on the Aug. 25 3-night Dream Cruise and will be in port at Nassau on Aug. 26. I made the reservation for Aug 26--but the hotel website lists a check-in time of 3:00pm. I am assuming this will not be an issue since we will not be using the room. Am I right on that?????

lark
07-20-2011, 02:41 PM
Also, in answer to the prior question I think the Comfort Suites website mentioned 25,000 points per room (not sure if this is correct, since I just joined the rewards program with this booking and don't really know how things work).

Right -- we used 25k points for our reservation, but also were charged the housekeeping and gratuities. The problem with using points is that you can't book until, I think, about 60 days in advance, so it can be a crap shoot if you don't have a backup reservation.

Ok--after talking to DH, one final silly question. We are on the Aug. 25 3-night Dream Cruise and will be in port at Nassau on Aug. 26. I made the reservation for Aug 26--but the hotel website lists a check-in time of 3:00pm. I am assuming this will not be an issue since we will not be using the room. Am I right on that?????

Right -- you want the room for the same day you are arriving. They will give you your access pass even if the room is not ready, and if you don't need the room, they don't care.

Mickeygolf
07-20-2011, 02:50 PM
I've read it's good to call ahead and ask for early check-in. Did you do that Lark or were you able to just show up and get everything you needed for the Atlantis day?

Alexander
07-20-2011, 03:02 PM
Am I seeing it correcty on their website that the room for myself, dh, and ds would only be 169.00 for the night? That would give us full access to aqauventure right? Seems very reasonable. Booking it thru DCL would be 125.00 for one adult alone,,,,,,,,

The AquaAdventure excursion through DCL is $160/pp aged 10 and up and $110/pp aged 3-9.

Turtlemom, we are on the 8/25 sailing as well and booked the Comfort Suites for the same price you did, $166. The $231 includes the taxes and energy/housekeeping fees for the adults in the room. We booked 2 rooms as we'll have 4 adults and 2 kids with us. It was $463 for both rooms. Add in taxi ride and lunch and we are looking at about $100/pp for the day. We will be saving about $300 by booking this on our own.

lark
07-20-2011, 03:42 PM
I've read it's good to call ahead and ask for early check-in. Did you do that Lark or were you able to just show up and get everything you needed for the Atlantis day?

Just showed up. Took 4 minutes. We were off the ship pretty quickly though. I can't imagine why they would care if you call ahead unless you actually want to have the room for the day.

Turtlemom
07-20-2011, 04:29 PM
Thanks, Lark! That is reassuring

Alexander--maybe we'll see you there at the Comfort Inn on the 26th! Can't wait!

INDY1919A4
07-20-2011, 07:00 PM
I just came back from our Disney cruise abord the Dream (7/10-15) and the replies here are just about right. The taxi ride from the ship to Comfort Inn and Suites is $4 per person.

Hello,

Just a stupid question here, is this the Water Taxi or a zoom zoom auto taxi..???

lark
07-20-2011, 07:13 PM
Hello,

Just a stupid question here, is this the Water Taxi or a zoom zoom auto taxi..???

Zoom zoom.

They line up a bunch of vans at the port. They fill them up with people going to Atlantis, and once it's full (at least 5 or 6 people, I think), they go. It's $4 per person. I actually think there may also be a water taxi, but it's not as efficient, I don't think.

Alexander
07-21-2011, 09:13 AM
I've also heard that the water taxis aren't too quick.

On the other hand, the zoom, zoom taxi is kinda of thrill ride in itself! Just kidding. They are little van things that they use for taxis.

steves100
08-14-2011, 04:25 PM
Any one know for sure about the room charges if you don't use the room?