PDA

View Full Version : Rebooking and getting same room #?

Makayna
07-17-2011, 09:48 PM
What are the chances if you rebook a cruise on board of getting the same room number? We researched all the different rooms in our category and chose the one that we wanted and then called DCL to put a "do not move" on the room so that we were ensured of getting that room. Now, if we rebook, I understand that sometimes, people don't get their same rooms. The roughly $150 that we could save if we rebooked wouldn't necessarily be worth it if we ended up in a loud room with an obstructed view, etc...

So how would one go about trying to get the same room? And what are the chances that this could actually happen? TIA! :goodvibes

Disneyholic
07-17-2011, 10:00 PM
What are the chances if you rebook a cruise on board of getting the same room number? Depends on how close you are to the cruise when you book it. The further out the better chance.We researched all the different rooms in our category and chose the one that we wanted and then called DCL to put a "do not move" on the room so that we were ensured of getting that room. Now, if we rebook, I understand that sometimes, people don't get their same rooms. The roughly $150 that we could save if we rebooked wouldn't necessarily be worth it if we ended up in a loud room with an obstructed view, etc...

So how would one go about trying to get the same room? And what are the chances that this could actually happen? TIA! :goodvibes

We were on the Dream May 29, 2011 cruise & rebooked onboard for the Fantasy August 25, 2012 cruise. we really liked the room we had on the Dream and asked if he could look it up and see if it was available. We had 6578 and at first he told us that 6078 was available. I wanted portside so I asked him again to check 6578 and then he said that was also available, so we booked it.

Both times I booked onboard the cruises were 18 & 15 months from the next cruise. When we booked onboard the Magic for the Dream I asked for 6580, but it wasn't available but 6578 was. The first cruise we booked through AAA and I was able to pick my cabin then, too. It all depends on availability and flexibility. Good Luck!

Makayna
07-17-2011, 10:06 PM
We were on the Dream May 29, 2011 cruise & rebooked onboard for the Fantasy August 25, 2012 cruise. we really liked the room we had on the Dream and asked if he could look it up and see if it was available. We had 6578 and at first he told us that 6078 was available. I wanted portside so I asked him again to check 6578 and then he said that was also available, so we booked it.

Both times I booked onboard the cruises were 18 & 15 months from the next cruise. When we booked onboard the Magic for the Dream I asked for 6580, but it wasn't available but 6578 was. The first cruise we booked through AAA and I was able to pick my cabin then, too. It all depends on availability and flexibility. Good Luck!

Well, what I mean is, the room we have booked for THAT cruise is the room that we want to make sure that we still get. THIS cruise, we're GTY and don't HAVE a room number yet. Plus, it's a different ship. What I mean is, for our cruise next year (the one we want to rebook), we have a room assignment. And I researched the rooms before selecting one, so I got the exact room that I wanted. But if we rebook, will I be able to book THAT room (given the fact that it's NOT available because we are in it). Does that make sense?! :confused:

Oh, and it'll be 12 months out, if that makes a difference. :)

lbgraves
07-17-2011, 10:15 PM
Whenever we have done this onboard there hasn't been an issue getting the same room.

Makayna
07-17-2011, 10:21 PM
Whenever we have done this onboard there hasn't been an issue getting the same room.

Thank you!!! :yay:

Disneyholic
07-17-2011, 10:25 PM
Well, what I mean is, the room we have booked for THAT cruise is the room that we want to make sure that we still get. THIS cruise, we're GTY and don't HAVE a room number yet. Plus, it's a different ship. What I mean is, for our cruise next year (the one we want to rebook), we have a room assignment. And I researched the rooms before selecting one, so I got the exact room that I wanted. But if we rebook, will I be able to book THAT room (given the fact that it's NOT available because we are in it). Does that make sense?! :confused:

Oh, and it'll be 12 months out, if that makes a difference. :)

What you are talking about is RESHOPPING a cruise you have already booked when you go to the booking desk. That is different from what you originally asked. I was answering about rebooking.:goodvibes You may want to change the title to Reshopping.

Makayna
07-17-2011, 10:26 PM
What you are talking about is RESHOPPING a cruise you have already booked when you go to the booking desk. That is different from what you originally asked. I was answering about rebooking.:goodvibes

OK, now I am confused. :confused:

What's the difference?! :confused3

Disneyholic
07-17-2011, 10:28 PM
OK, now I am confused. :confused:

What's the difference?! :confused3

Rebooking is when you don't have a cruise booked yet and want to book onboard. Reshopping is when you have a cruise booked and have it the way you want it but want to get the 10% discount and onboard credit from onboard booking.

Makayna
07-17-2011, 10:33 PM
Rebooking is when you don't have a cruise booked yet and want to book onboard. Reshopping is when you have a cruise booked and have it the way you want it but want to get the 10% discount and onboard credit from onboard booking.

To me, booking on board is booking a cruise that you have not yet booked. Rebooking is booking a cruise again that you already have booked. Hence, the "re." ;)

lbgraves
07-17-2011, 10:40 PM
Nope, that's what is referred to as reshopping. :) The important thing is that you have a cruise booked. If the price goes up more than the 10% before your first cruise and you can reshop it, then you have still saved money. ;)

Disneyholic
07-17-2011, 10:42 PM
To me, booking on board is booking a cruise that you have not yet booked. Rebooking is booking a cruise again that you already have booked. Hence, the "re." ;)

To me and others on this board rebooking is when you are on the current cruise and are REbooking the next cruise. Others posters on these boards talk of REshopping an already booked cruise onboard to get a better price. Booking is what you do when you book your first cruise or if you don't book your next cruise onboard and then do it at a later date.:goodvibes That is why I was confused with your first post and why you are confused with my way of thinking.

Makayna
07-17-2011, 10:44 PM
I'd like to know what others think should be the right terms. :)

nate4761
07-18-2011, 03:27 AM
I'd like to know what others think should be the right terms. :)

Initially, I thought I could go either way on this and use the terms interchangeably. However, with a little more research, I have come to the conclusion that while neither term is ideal, rebook is closer to being correct. It also has the distinction of being a real word, as opposed to retail jargon.

Rebook - The "to book again" definition may be somewhat ambiguous here. She certainly isn't booking the same cruise as her first cruise again. It is a different date, location, and ship. However, she is essentially having DCL staff cancel her reservation (an agreement between her and DCL for a cruise at a particular price) and then buying it back at a lower price. So it was booked, canceled and then booked again.

Certainly the second definition can be applied in this case. After all, the booking in question is being changed. She bought the cruise at one price and is changing her reservation (though not the date or room number) to get a better price.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/rebook

Reshop - This is retail jargon for returning misplaced or returned merchandise to its correct location. For example, I see a pack of gum that seems like a good deal. At the register, I see an even better deal, so I (inconsiderately) put the original pack of gum down on the counter and select the one that is a better deal. This leaves the "reshopping" of the original pack of gum to an employee of the store who will return the gum to its correct location.

In this situation, she is not leaving her stateroom behind to be "reshopped" to the "shelves" (or should I say "decks") of available staterooms that future guests will be choosing from. It would be more like me taking the original pack of gum to the service desk and returning it, then buying the same pack of gum with a coupon.

http://www.doubletongued.org/index.php/dictionary/reshop/

That said, I think the term "renegotiate" is most applicable in this scenario :)

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/renegotiate

mmouse37
07-18-2011, 10:40 PM
I think we are over thinking this.....

In terms of discussions on this board it has been commonly referred to as Rebooking when you book a new cruise while onboard a cruise and Reshopping a cruise if you have a cruise booked before you get onboard and are then trying to get said booked cruise with the 10% off and OBC.

Obviously there is no real right or wrong answer but for the sake of discussions I think it makes sense to use rebooking and reshopping. I see no reason to introduce new terms to confuse everyone.

MJ

mickeyfan1
07-19-2011, 01:34 AM
From what I am reading: (Room $ and dates are made up)

1. You have booked a cruise for 2013 and you are in room 1086 for that cruise.
2. You go to the future cruise desk and talk to the rep, asking to check the price of the same cruise and that category of room.
3. Rep will advise you what the cruise fare is as of that time. If is less that what you paid, yay. If not, then keep what you have.

4. Now here is the fun part about rebooking an existing cruise that you have reshopped, and the fare is less. With whom did you book the cruise originally? If it was DCL, the rep can cancel that reservation and rebook it at the reduced rate and you will keep the same room. If you booked through a TA, you will need to place a new deposit on a different room in order to hold the lower rate and OBC. And NAME the TA for that booking. Once home, contact your TA and advise them what you have done, ask them to cancel your old reservation but to change the room number on the new reservation so that you keep the same room. As you have already paid a deposit on the first booking, you can have that amount transferred to the new booking, thus lowering the amount needed to be paid in full later. If you have a TA and you fail to name the TA when you rebook, it will cause a lot more issues, so make sure you do that. If you went through DCL, no worries.
5. Even tho you are going to be 12 months out, rates can and do go up. In May I deposited, through my TA the southbound repo from Vancouver to LA for 2012. 16 months in advance. The rates have already gone up, so even tho I will be on board in July next year, reshopping will not save me anything. So buyer beware.
6. No matter what, if you think you are ever going to cruise DCL again, rebook on board, Pick the cheapest room and the furthest out date, because the reduced deposit and OBC are not available once you get off the ship and you can push the date out until the right one is available.

BuzzLightyearInTampa
09-20-2011, 06:05 PM
So, when the new dates and rates are released for 2013 (presumably next month or soon thereafter), that will most likely be the cheapest those rates will ever be, correct? We are doing the Eastern Caribbean on the Magic in December and would like to take advantage of the on board booking discount and on board credit for an Alaskan cruise in 2013. Which one will be better, or can I do both by booking the Alaskan cruise for 2013 when the rates are released in October/November and then transfering that reservation while on board to receive the on board incentives? Thanks in advance for any insight.

kcashner
09-20-2011, 06:09 PM
There is no way to know which will give you the best deal. SO....you book the cruises as soon as they come out. Then, you "reshop" the reservation while on board. If it is a better deal to book on board, you rebook then. If DCL holds your reservation, they can keep you in the same cabin and cancel the original ressie right then. If you use a TA (and I do recommend this), the onboard rebooking agent can't touch your original ressie--just book a new reservation while on board. Then when you get home, call the TA and ask her to "reconcile" the reservations so that you end up with the lower rate for onboard rebooking but still get the original cabin you chose.

ldietiker
09-20-2011, 06:52 PM
There is no way to know which will give you the best deal. SO....you book the cruises as soon as they come out. Then, you "reshop" the reservation while on board. If it is a better deal to book on board, you rebook then. If DCL holds your reservation, they can keep you in the same cabin and cancel the original ressie right then. If you use a TA (and I do recommend this), the onboard rebooking agent can't touch your original ressie--just book a new reservation while on board. Then when you get home, call the TA and ask her to "reconcile" the reservations so that you end up with the lower rate for onboard rebooking but still get the original cabin you chose.

Thank you - this was very helpful!
:goodvibes

mmouse37
09-20-2011, 09:29 PM
You can find a good explanation of the reshopping process in the DCL FAQ sticky under "Reshopping a Cruise"

MJ

purceller
09-21-2011, 12:30 AM

Excellent explaination, thank you.

Eric

purceller
09-21-2011, 01:03 AM
From what I am reading: (Room $ and dates are made up)

1. You have booked a cruise for 2013 and you are in room 1086 for that cruise.
2. You go to the future cruise desk and talk to the rep, asking to check the price of the same cruise and that category of room.
3. Rep will advise you what the cruise fare is as of that time. If is less that what you paid, yay. If not, then keep what you have.

4. Now here is the fun part about rebooking an existing cruise that you have reshopped, and the fare is less. With whom did you book the cruise originally? If it was DCL, the rep can cancel that reservation and rebook it at the reduced rate and you will keep the same room. If you booked through a TA, you will need to place a new deposit on a different room in order to hold the lower rate and OBC. And NAME the TA for that booking. Once home, contact your TA and advise them what you have done, ask them to cancel your old reservation but to change the room number on the new reservation so that you keep the same room. As you have already paid a deposit on the first booking, you can have that amount transferred to the new booking, thus lowering the amount needed to be paid in full later. If you have a TA and you fail to name the TA when you rebook, it will cause a lot more issues, so make sure you do that. If you went through DCL, no worries.
5. Even tho you are going to be 12 months out, rates can and do go up. In May I deposited, through my TA the southbound repo from Vancouver to LA for 2012. 16 months in advance. The rates have already gone up, so even tho I will be on board in July next year, reshopping will not save me anything. So buyer beware.
6. No matter what, if you think you are ever going to cruise DCL again, rebook on board, Pick the cheapest room and the furthest out date, because the reduced deposit and OBC are not available once you get off the ship and you can push the date out until the right one is available.

Really excellent advice & very well explained, thank you.

Eric

BuzzLightyearInTampa
09-21-2011, 08:32 AM
You can find a good explanation of the reshopping process in the DCL FAQ sticky under "Reshopping a Cruise"

MJ

Thanks, this was very helpful.

So it looks like it's not possible to take advantage of the early booking fares when they are first released and the the discount & OBC for booking on board. I guess we'll do as the post suggests and see which is a better deal.

TDC Nala
09-21-2011, 09:07 AM
I just did this on the Wonder to reshop a Fantasy cruise I'm taking next year.

The guy at the future cruise desk did this:

He kept my old reservation. I had to cancel it when I got home. He switched the stateroom on that reservation to a different stateroom.

Then he booked an entirely new reservation on the same cruise, using my original stateroom.

The "negatives" to that is that I had to take care of cancelling the original cruise reservation myself and wait for the return of the deposit. Plus, pay the new deposit on the new cruise reservation. Didn't bother me. Essentially, until I called DCL and cancelled the old reservation, I had two reservations on that cruise.

The original reservation was booked through DCL, no travel agent or anything like that.

I also don't know if it's typical for them to leave the old reservation alone and tell you to cancel it when you get home, but that wasn't really a big deal either.

So it looks like it's not possible to take advantage of the early booking fares when they are first released and the the discount & OBC for booking on board. I guess we'll do as the post suggests and see which is a better deal.

Totally depends on how much the price of the cruise you want to reshop goes up between the time you book it and the time your reshop it. I still got about $300 off my Fantasy cruise, plus the extra onboard credit I got for booking onboard as a gold cruiser. Always go to the future cruise desk and ask the rep to check the prices for you.

valbob89
09-21-2011, 09:14 AM
Two questions.

The OBC you get when you book onboard, based on our Castaway Club level, do I get that if I book on-line or on the phone with DCL?

Onboard booking of a dummy date. Can I add cabin mates to the booking at a later date at the same rate as the one I booked onboard?

Thanks

TDC Nala
09-21-2011, 11:53 AM
Two questions.

The OBC you get when you book onboard, based on our Castaway Club level, do I get that if I book on-line or on the phone with DCL?

Onboard booking of a dummy date. Can I add cabin mates to the booking at a later date at the same rate as the one I booked onboard?

Thanks

1. No. You only get it by booking onboard.

2. Yes - if there is space on the cruise (not just space in the room) - but not at the same price. They will pay extra if the price has gone up since you booked. I'm paying more than my friend who booked Hawaii as I was added later. At the time it came out I was on the verge of being furloughed and didn't want to commit to the deposit. But you keep the credit for the stateroom and that stuff.

Silverfox97
09-29-2011, 01:18 PM

I get all of this - no prob. I do have a question.......

OK, I am sailing on the Magic Saturday. I plan on reshopping my Feb cruise (the only reso I have that was not booked on board). As of right now, it is more expensive then when I booked it in July, however, with 10%off and $100 OBC that DCL will give me, it works out to be cheaper. My TA holds the reso. I get that I should book a new reservation & have my TA reconcile them when we return.

Here's my question: We chose a specific room. The cat that our room is in is selling in GTY status already. Does this complicate the process at all? Will she be able to move our stateroom over to the new reso booked onboard before cancelling the old reso??

Also, I want to book 2 dummy dates, which including the cruise above, that would be booking 3 cruises (there are 3 of us sailing). Will they let me book that many??

TIA!!!

Silverfox97
09-29-2011, 01:52 PM
I get all of this - no prob. I do have a question.......

OK, I am sailing on the Magic Saturday. I plan on reshopping my Feb cruise (the only reso I have that was not booked on board). As of right now, it is more expensive then when I booked it in July, however, with 10%off and $100 OBC that DCL will give me, it works out to be cheaper. My TA holds the reso. I get that I should book a new reservation & have my TA reconcile them when we return.

Here's my question: We chose a specific room. The cat that our room is in is selling in GTY status already. Does this complicate the process at all? Will she be able to move our stateroom over to the new reso booked onboard before cancelling the old reso??

Also, I want to book 2 dummy dates, which including the cruise above, that would be booking 3 cruises (there are 3 of us sailing). Will they let me book that many??

TIA!!!

Well, my TA answered part of the question: she cannot move my room if the cat is unavailable or in GTY status. Blasted!!!

KingRichard
09-29-2011, 02:41 PM
When you are on board be sure to book 2-3 3 day dummy dates for the cheapest time of the year. Be sure they are as far out as possible.

They will require a very small deposit and then you can re-shop/rebook them at home.

I only did one and have used it up and wish I had more!

Silverfox97
09-29-2011, 02:50 PM
When you are on board be sure to book 2-3 3 day dummy dates for the cheapest time of the year. Be sure they are as far out as possible.

They will require a very small deposit and then you can re-shop/rebook them at home.

I only did one and have used it up and wish I had more!

Oh yeah, we always do this - last time we booked 2, but needed 3..........

That's why I need to reshop my Feb cruise :sad2:

Fivepin
10-23-2011, 06:23 AM
So, here is my question....I have a 2013 date on hold right now through DCL. My deposit is due tomorrow. If I pay the deposit through DCL, and then go reshop next month on the Dream, can I name my TA then and not have it considered a transfer?

Since I have the hold thru DCL and I call her tomorrow to take it off of hold and place the deposit with her is that considered a transfer? Or should I just have her book me a new reservation using the cabins I have hold and then reshop onboard giving her name as well while onboard.

Sorry if this sounds confusing.

Basically, I have a cruise on hold via DCL how should I handle that so that I can reshop next month and get the full benefits of the OBC from DCL and the TA.

Thanks for any guidance

Lexa
10-23-2011, 12:51 PM
Now i have a question, since there is so much discussion about getting same room number.

We were on our cruise in May and we reshopped onboard for another cruise and got GTY.

Few weeks ago I transfered my cruise to my TA...can my TA get me stateroom number now?

mickeyfan1
10-24-2011, 01:14 PM
Now i have a question, since there is so much discussion about getting same room number.

We were on our cruise in May and we reshopped onboard for another cruise and got GTY.

Few weeks ago I transfered my cruise to my TA...can my TA get me stateroom number now?

Nope. GTY says GTY till DCL assigns the room.

jdb in AZ
11-10-2011, 02:00 PM
Hi, I'm new to this as we will be taking our first Disney cruise in February. I've read mention of booking "dummy dates" onboard to get the special discount and credit offered only for booking while onboard. Do I understand correctly that I could then change that reservation later? Is there penalty or fee involved to change dates? I am expecting we'll love the cruise and want to do another, but I don't know that budget will allow sooner than a few years out. If I can take advantage of an onboard offer it would certainly help.

Judy

You can keep pushing the date into the future without losing the discount and credit, as long as you move it before the paid-in-full date.

jdb in AZ
11-10-2011, 02:03 PM
That's weird. I just answered a question and my post appears in a separate post before the post asking the question. Even tho my answer is time stamped 45 mins later. Whazzup with that?

lanejudy
11-10-2011, 02:46 PM
Hi, I'm new to this as we will be taking our first Disney cruise in February. I've read mention of booking "dummy dates" onboard to get the special discount and credit offered only for booking while onboard. Do I understand correctly that I could then change that reservation later? Is there penalty or fee involved to change dates? I am expecting we'll love the cruise and want to do another, but I don't know that budget will allow sooner than a few years out. If I can take advantage of an onboard offer it would certainly help.

Judy

lbgraves
11-10-2011, 04:10 PM
That's weird. I just answered a question and my post appears in a separate post before the post asking the question. Even tho my answer is time stamped 45 mins later. Whazzup with that?

It seems that the boards are quite messed up at the moment. None of the threads make sense in the order posts are appearing.

zealandsmom
11-10-2011, 10:51 PM

why do you recommend a TA?? Explain for me please :0

Silverfox97
11-14-2011, 10:27 PM
Well, my TA answered part of the question: she cannot move my room if the cat is unavailable or in GTY status. Blasted!!!

Just an update - the above is false -

While on board the Magic, I stopped at the rebooking desk to reshop my cruise and to book 2 dummy dates. The rebooking agent booked my Feb 9th cruise, and told me that when I got home, my TA could move my stateroom over to the new reservation booked on board, & cancel the original reservation, even though the Cat we booked was in GTY. When we got back, our TA called DCL and was able to do this :thumbsup2

(However, since then, FL res rates came out, so even though we paid in full, we were able to upgrade from an 8A to a Cat 5A and get a $450 refund :woohoo:)

gardengirl628
01-07-2012, 11:35 PM
Is the deposit amount when rebooking on the ship the same as it would be if you booked at home? TIA.

mickeyfan1
01-08-2012, 12:02 AM
Is the deposit amount when rebooking on the ship the same as it would be if you booked at home? TIA.

At the present time, booking onboard allows you to pay only 10% deposit, if you call DCL direct or use a TA, you will pay 20%. You will still pay the entire amount, but it will be included in your final payment. This can be a HUGE savings for people traveling with several others in the same cabin.

DVCTigger
01-24-2012, 10:56 PM
So when we reshop on board....We have booked our room and paid the 20% deposit. So if/when we are able to rebook and get the OBC and 10% off, are we actually booking new? Meaning do we only have to put 10% down on the rebooked price? We want to also book another cruise for this coming May. Can we use the 20% from the old booking for the 10% on each of the two new bookings?
Hope thats not too confusing!

Feisty Fairy
01-28-2012, 05:36 AM
Okay from what I have read the following would be true right?

I am sailing in May 2012 on a five night cruise on the Magic and is the first time I have ever cruised and am already thinking about cruising again. If I book another cruise say a cruise sailing in September for instance and put down the deposit. When I am on-board I can go to the re-booking which in this case would be re-shopping desk and they could book a cruise for 10% off the cruise and currently "OBC of $100 for 6 nights or less and $200 for seven night cruises." If I like the deal I can have them cancel the reservation I had made on land I am "not" using a TA but would be booking online though Disney website and have the apply what I paid toward the cruise. And would only have to pay extra if the trip cost was more than what I booked online but I would only have to pay 10% of the difference of the total cost of the cruise if there is one. And if the cruise is less than I have to pay nothing addition than the deposit that transferred from my original reservation, right? I hope what I am trying to ask makes sense. For instance if the cruise was a hundred dollars more but get on-board credit of $200 it would be worth re-shopping the cruise and paying a small difference.

Am I correct in how this works?

I must be crazy for not even going on cruise yet and already thinking of booking another one. I do not know id I should might until I cruise in May or go ahead and book before May if me and hubby decide we want to go on another cruise. What do you think book before go or what until on ship.

Also I know that it say previous cruises get the offer for the OBC. Would it have already counted the cruise that I would currently be on as sailing once. In other words if I go to the re-booking desk would they then count me as a Castaway Cay remember even though that is my first cruise and would I be eligible for OBC and discount. And if so will your Castaway Cay member number be automatically linked to the new reservation.

Also is there a specific time you must go to the desk to get the special offers or can you go anytime. And what times is the desk open generally. Thanks for any help just trying to make sure I have a grasp on re-booking and re-shopping.

Also I am thinking of possibly booking another cruise. I will be on my first in May and I know your get perks for booking on-board. But I thought about booking online before the cruise and re-shop the cruise on-board. By question is that the dates I was looking at when I try and select a stateroom says GTY. Can a GTY room be canceled. If I find an offer on board that I like and that deposit applied to the new reservations and would I get all the perks that get for on-board booking. I thought GTY was non refundable but I also thought you had to pay in full at booking and when proceeding to the next step it has a deposit amount that is normal 20%.

Any help clarifying this I would appreciate.