PDA

View Full Version : 10 Things NOT to do on a Disney Cruise

Snowecru
07-17-2011, 09:56 AM
1. Stress - Don't stress over what other cruisers wear, eat, do. It is your vacation. You have saved and scrimped and traveled many of miles, do what you want to do, wear what you want to wear, eat what you want to eat. Most importantly, mind your own beeswax.

2. Push, Shove, Cheat - Don't push and shove and cheat your way to the head of the line. Remember your manners. Your children are watching, your deity is watching. Be Nice.

3. Lie - Don't lie about what DCL Reservations have told you, or didn't tell you. It's on record and you'll end up looking like a jerk. No, really.

4. Expect perfection. Perfection doesn't exist. Look it up.

5. Plan every second of your day. We all know what happens when you plan things, right? You are on vacation to relax, so relax.

6. Complain that your vacation was ruined because of ____________ - Worst case scenario, you die on the ship. Okay, you're On A Cruise Ship. Dead. Then what?

7. Forget to bring your sense of humor - your kid spills his juice, gets cranky, you miss a show. Such is life. Get over it.

8. Complain that noone told you to fill out/print your documents - Who is going on the cruise? You, right? Noone else is responsible for you but you. Read directions.

9. Expect your children to have better manners than what you have taught them. If you act like a whiny complaining complainer, Do Not chastise your kids for doing the same. You taught them this!!

10. Waste time standing in line for collectible trinkets - The economy is tanking, you've clipped coupons to get here, do you really need seventeen collectible keychains made in China?

Blanche_Neige
07-17-2011, 10:05 AM
wow, way to keep things positive!!

:rolleyes1

PoohJen
07-17-2011, 10:06 AM
Amen to OP's observations! But remember too, if you see a complaining guest, or a line cutter, etc., it's an isolated incident. Don't judge all passengers, or characterize your cruise experience, on that incident. As OP suggests, let it roll, look around at the great time your family is having and the 1000 other families on the ship are having! :cloud9:

Things to do:

- Plan ahead (but not down to the minute of your day)! Research the cruise so you know what may interest you (the "not misses" for your family), read the daily navigator the night before or at breakfast.

-Be prepared to be spontanious! You just may need a Plan B - itineraries get re-routed, excursions get cancelled, your kids may get overtired! Go with the flow!:thumbsup2

- Relax, it's all good! Enjoy the moment, don't expect it to be "perfect in every possible way that your family expects it to be", if you know what I mean, and you will find you are having a wonderful vacation!:cool2:

ssanders79
07-17-2011, 11:26 AM
10. Waste time standing in line for collectible trinkets - The economy is tanking, you've clipped coupons to get here, do you really need seventeen collectible keychains made in China?

Individuals buying 17 collectables usually have one thing on their mind...eBay. In turn taking away merchandise others may want to buy at sticker price while on the cruise they traveled and saved to be on.

Rule 11: stop buying all the good stuff just to resell on eBay.

PrincessTrisha
07-17-2011, 11:37 AM
Most importantly, mind your own beeswax.

And if you followed this rule yourself, you would not have written the other 9 :rotfl:

woody73
07-17-2011, 11:51 AM
11. "Reserve" poolside lounge chairs (with a book or towel), and never use them.

12. Stiff your waitstaff.

Woody

klcason
07-17-2011, 11:59 AM
1. Stress - Don't stress over what other cruisers wear, eat, do. It is your vacation. You have saved and scrimped and traveled many of miles, do what you want to do, wear what you want to wear, eat what you want to eat. Most importantly, mind your own beeswax.

2. Push, Shove, Cheat - Don't push and shove and cheat your way to the head of the line. Remember your manners. Your children are watching, your deity is watching. Be Nice.

3. Lie - Don't lie about what DCL Reservations have told you, or didn't tell you. It's on record and you'll end up looking like a jerk. No, really.

5. Plan every second of your day. We all know what happens when you plan things, right? You are on vacation to relax, so relax.

6. Complain that your vacation was ruined because of ____________ - Worst case scenario, you die on the ship. Okay, you're On A Cruise Ship. Dead. Then what?

7. Forget to bring your sense of humor - your kid spills his juice, gets cranky, you miss a show. Such is life. Get over it.

8. Complain that noone told you to fill out/print your documents - Who is going on the cruise? You, right? Noone else is responsible for you but you. Read directions.

9. Expect your children to have better manners than what you have taught them. If you act like a whiny complaining complainer, Do Not chastise your kids for doing the same. You taught them this!!

Great, great post!!!! Thanks for your thoughts!

MinnesotaMouseketeers
07-17-2011, 12:14 PM

I agree with OP. There are some lessons people can learn by reading this.

RLccweems
07-17-2011, 12:29 PM
I love these....this one is the one I like the most. Dont forget to bring your sense of humor - your kid spills his juice, gets cranky, you miss a show. Such is life. Get over!

dawne98
07-17-2011, 12:49 PM
LOL your too funny! My family is going our 1st DC in May and the only thing we have to think about is HAVING FUN!!!!

TaylorsDad
07-17-2011, 12:56 PM

Thanks a lot, before now the thought of Dying on the ship never occured to us:eek:

ibouncetoo
07-17-2011, 01:09 PM
Thanks a lot, before now the thought of Dying on the ship never occured to us:eek:

This is where I plan to die...at the END of the cruise and when I'm VERY old, of course!

mmouse37
07-17-2011, 02:16 PM
I agree with all but #1

I think I will find and bump up the cruise etiquette thread....that has not been around in awhile.

MJ

IlliniAmy
07-17-2011, 02:38 PM
Love this. Well done! :thumbsup2

SeaSpray
07-17-2011, 02:43 PM

All good advice but I LOVE #6!!! :lmao:

This reminds me of when my DSs were younger and I'd ask them to do a chore or something and they'd complain; my reply was always "Look, I'm not asking you to walk across hot coals or pull your fingernails out, or to do a tap dance in front of strangers. Just go do *whatever*...and keep things in perspective, ok??" It always worked! :thumbsup2

kathi
07-17-2011, 03:01 PM
11. "Reserve" poolside lounge chairs (with a book or towel), and never use them.

Woody

AMEN - really my only complaint on Disney Cruises. I wish they would enforce this more stringently.

mmouse37
07-17-2011, 03:05 PM
AMEN - really my only complaint on Disney Cruises. I wish they would enforce this more stringently.

I recently saw a new report where the Germans and the British are in a huge battle over hotel pool chairs in Spain. It is a such a problem that new people are putting their stuff on the pool chairs the night before. Others are retaliating by putting honey on said chairs to attract bugs. It is quite a big mess at all hotels over there.

The hotels/travel agents are now instituting a "pre pay for your chair" to try to alleviate the problem...but are only offering it to the Germans. Bizarre!!!

Here is a similar article

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/personal-view/5934002/How-the-Germans-won-the-War-of-the-Beach-Towels.html

Maybe DCL will go this route...

MJ

maria-fan-22
07-17-2011, 04:20 PM
This is a great list of rules! pirate:

TiszBear
07-17-2011, 04:25 PM
Love this! :thumbsup2 I am thinking this might be a good door decorations if the OP does not mind.

Snowecru
07-17-2011, 04:45 PM
Thank you! You all are fun! :hug:

Feel free to use this list however you want. :teacher:

I forgot about the dern loungers! We don't usually sit for very long, but when we do, we see a lot of the chair hogging. Okay, maybe chair hogging is a bit ah, negative :rolleyes1 maybe it's for the invisible friends?:confused3

Have a Magical Sunday!!

Snowecru
07-17-2011, 04:50 PM

Oh. Whoops. Sorry.

:laughing:

gfly
07-17-2011, 05:28 PM
excellent points!:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

SallySkelington
07-17-2011, 06:41 PM
I recently saw a new report where the Germans and the British are in a huge battle over hotel pool chairs in Spain. It is a such a problem that new people are putting their stuff on the pool chairs the night before. Others are retaliating by putting honey on said chairs to attract bugs. It is quite a big mess at all hotels over there.

The hotels/travel agents are now instituting a "pre pay for your chair" to try to alleviate the problem...but are only offering it to the Germans. Bizarre!!!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/personal-view/5934002/How-the-Germans-won-the-War-of-the-Beach-Towels.html

MJ

:eek: Wow... thats just... wow... on so many levels.

taswira
07-17-2011, 06:58 PM
And if you followed this rule yourself, you would not have written the other 9 :rotfl:
Exactly! :lmao:

I agree with all but #1

I think I will find and bump up the cruise etiquette thread....that has not been around in awhile.

MJ
:thumbsup2 Excellent idea! Please do.

mattmommy
07-17-2011, 08:22 PM
Do - take the stairs as much as possible if you're healthy enough to do so.

Don't take the elevators everywhere - sometimes they take a LONG time

twindaddy
07-17-2011, 08:40 PM
11. When you see a new poster on these boards (or others), and they post a really easy question to answer that is asked everyday, dont be a jerk and say "use the search feature" and make a snide remark. Answer their question, welcome them to the boards, and then casually mention the search feature. Chances are they will stay. If you start snide, they will never come back.

12. Realize a rule is a rule is a rule, and they apply to you, not just everyone else.

MND
07-17-2011, 09:08 PM
Thanks for the lecture!

princesskayla
07-18-2011, 04:58 AM

...Or any other rule that they have made up :confused3:

Makayna
07-18-2011, 09:21 AM
1. Most importantly, mind your own beeswax.

LOVE IT!!! If they REALLY just followed the end of rule #1 and minded their own business, they wouldn't have written the other rules!!! :rolleyes:

Some people are planners and LIKE planning out their vacations. They want to do as much as they can on the ship. FH and I ENJOY doing, doing, doing. That IS relaxing to us! Just sitting at the pool side all day, everyday, would NOT be a very enjoyable vacation for us! But for some, it is. And that's perfectly OK! You have to understand that people vacation differently. And why do you really care if other people plan their vacations?! Just because YOU don't like to do that doesn't mean that the planners are hurting you in ANY way whatsoever. :rolleyes:

There's a difference between stressing over what others are wearing to dinner and giving advice on a public forum. I could give a cr@p if people wear shorts to dinner. I most certainly won't even notice. But if you ask my OPINION on the forum, I will give it to you! ::yes::

Really - why do you care if someone "wastes time" standing in line to get collectible trinkets?! I mean, again, take your own advice and mind your own business! If someone is buying 17 of them, perhaps they told some family members that they would bring them each back a keychain from their trip and they have the money to do so. My Grandparents used to do this - whenever they'd travel, they'd bring keychains from wherever they were to their 13 grandchildren. I still have some of mine, 20 something years later. Why do you care?! So what if someone else wants to stand in line to do this?! How exactly is this hurting you?! :confused3

Rule #11 - don't tell other people what to do on THEIR vacations. If it doesn't affect you, then don't worry about it. :rolleyes1

Makayna
07-18-2011, 10:26 AM

At least you'd die happy! :)

Jerseymomof2
07-18-2011, 10:41 AM
11. When you see a new poster on these boards (or others), and they post a really easy question to answer that is asked everyday, dont be a jerk and say "use the search feature" and make a snide remark. Answer their question, welcome them to the boards, and then casually mention the search feature. Chances are they will stay. If you start snide, they will never come back.

12. Realize a rule is a rule is a rule, and they apply to you, not just everyone else.

Love :love: these 2!

kwright868
07-18-2011, 12:26 PM

Woody

A friend just went on a Carnival cruise and ppl went out and chained their stuff to loungers with bike locks the night before!

kgoldenh
07-18-2011, 01:12 PM
love these. thank you for the smile today.

Love the stairs. When we cruised I cannot tell you the number of times we would go up for drinks or something and come back and see the same people waiting for an elevator. Those stairs also helped us stay healthy, let us eat a bit more and still lose weight on the cruise.

mainstreetmagic
07-18-2011, 02:05 PM

Woody

Amen. :thumbsup2

Cerberus9
07-18-2011, 03:08 PM
Here's one that I'm ashamed to say I'm guilty of; I wish someone would have suggested this to me beforehand.

No matter how familiar you are with these boards and/or the DCL website, if you've never *actually* been on a cruise, don't act like a seasoned expert if and when giving advice! (apart from relating verifiable factual information, like answering "What's the address of the DCL website", etc.).

In fact, unless you've actually been on a cruise, you should probably refrain from giving advice related to any aspect of the whole "Disney Cruise Experience"!

(Again, I'm speaking from experience [or, to be honest, a complete and utter *lack* of experience] :rolleyes1 )

Snowecru
07-18-2011, 03:24 PM
:laughing::eek::scared::lmao:

Uh oh, looks like someone needs to read #7 again!:teacher::rotfl:

Makayna
07-18-2011, 04:13 PM

So everytime someone says something offensive, we're just supposed to take it as a joke and laugh about it? Nice. :rolleyes:

mmouse37
07-18-2011, 04:38 PM
So everytime someone says something offensive, we're just supposed to take it as a joke and laugh about it? Nice. :rolleyes:

You seem sensitive to some things. Not everyone will agree with everything that is said on these boards.

Sometimes we just have to move along and if something bothers you, you do not HAVE to post a reply...take a deep breath. You can ignore it and move on.

I ask all of you not to take everything so seriously and not lash out at people if you have a difference of opinion.

MJ

annabell08
07-18-2011, 04:46 PM
You seem sensitive to some things. Not everyone will agree with everything that is said on these boards.

Sometimes we just have to move along and if something bothers you, you do not HAVE to post a reply...take a deep breath. You can ignore it and move on.

I ask all of you not to take everything so seriously and not lash out at people if you have a difference of opinion.

MJ

Best post ever on any forum

vakamalua
07-18-2011, 05:01 PM

MJ

Ah, showing my age, but I remember the 'Golden Age' of cruising when the ships were elegant and small enough that each passenger was assigned their own deck lounger (teak with a thick pad, of course) AND their own Deck Steward who was always available to service your area of the deck with towels, drinks, etc. I really do miss a more civil society!

PrincessTrisha
07-18-2011, 05:44 PM

Perhaps a reminder of number 4 would also be in order?

woody73
07-18-2011, 05:46 PM
13. Take photos using flash during any production show.

14. Videotape any production show, especially with the monitor "on" so as to annoy the guests seated behind you.

Woody

princessjadesmom
07-18-2011, 05:51 PM
Ah, showing my age, but I remember the 'Golden Age' of cruising when the ships were elegant and small enough that each passenger was assigned their own deck lounger (teak with a thick pad, of course) AND their own Deck Steward who was always available to service your area of the deck with towels, drinks, etc. I really do miss a more civil society!

WOW!! That would be nice! :cloud9:

cass'mom
07-18-2011, 07:25 PM

MJ

I just saw this on Nightline a few nights ago! This article has some video of the tourists running for the chairs once the gates are unlocked!! http://blogs.abcnews.com/nightlinedailyline/2009/08/brits-v-germans-a-battle-on-the-beach.html It's unbelievable! popcorn::

Dreamscome2ru
07-18-2011, 07:37 PM
I wish everyone had to take an etiquette class in high school. Life would be nicer but not nearly as interesting.

extechie rbd/wdt
07-18-2011, 08:06 PM
Please don't let your kid's "rush" or surround the characters.
Kid's can get a little overexcited sometimes and hopefully there is a CM to step in if the parent's or Guardians don't.

They have very limited vision and cannot always see every kid, and sometimes a simple movement can cause a law suit for those that are that way inclined ;)

Mess with Cruella all you like :thumbsup2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzpTf8YXetg&NR=1

But:

Those that like to get a discount on their cruise and allow their kid's to do this to characters "because little jonny is only 10 and Scotty is only 15 and they doesn't always remember to behave".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAKFHT1pxxM&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_HcSnrBprg&feature=related[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JyWu1-58vk&feature=related"]

Ex Techie

disney1990
07-18-2011, 09:22 PM
We definitely learned to roll with the punches on our last cruise. My 11 year old granddaughter's suitcase got left in our car at the port. We didn't realize that until all the other suitcases arrived in the room One really can survive when things go wrong. She got new clothes on the ship and in Nassau.

I am a 1/2 full type of person. You really have to scr*w up my dinner order to upset me. I am just happy to be on vacation -- what will be will be.

OP thanks for your posting -- I really enjoyed it.

Fltwin
07-18-2011, 09:25 PM

:thumbsup2

Fltwin
07-18-2011, 09:32 PM
Thanks for the lecture!

:lmao:

mmouse37
07-18-2011, 09:50 PM
I just saw this on Nightline a few nights ago! This article has some video of the tourists running for the chairs once the gates are unlocked!! http://blogs.abcnews.com/nightlinedailyline/2009/08/brits-v-germans-a-battle-on-the-beach.html It's unbelievable! popcorn::

Yes, that is where I originally saw it!!

MJ