PDA

View Full Version : Dine alone or with table mates?

Fltwin
07-16-2011, 02:38 PM
DS will be almost 3 when we cruise and I wondered if it would be better to dine at our own table or with table mates,,,, thoughts?

Cerberus9
07-16-2011, 03:03 PM
DS will be almost 3 when we cruise and I wondered if it would be better to dine at our own table or with table mates,,,, thoughts?

Ummm... How could a bunch of strangers on the Internet even begin to answer this question? Which would YOU prefer?

eva
07-16-2011, 03:21 PM

You can request your own table. But it is only a request. 50/50 really. So you may have no choice anyway.

E&Cmom
07-16-2011, 03:21 PM
From my only one cruise experience ;) , Disney was great in matching our family with another family. We were matched with a family with girls the same age as our girls. That week they became the best of friends.

It is personal preference. Being seated at a table with a strangers was never a concern for us. It is up to you and your family.

OKW Lover
07-16-2011, 03:24 PM
An advantage to dining with others is that you get to share experiences and hear each others opinions on what they did. Harder to do if its just your immediate family who (presumably) were with you the whole time.

Of course, this could also be a disadvantage. You may get table mates that are boring or boorish.

We've had great luck with our table mates. :sail:

orlandothebeagle
07-16-2011, 04:27 PM
I loved each and every one of my table mates on the transatlantic and panama canal cruise.

everybodys differant,I agree with cerbrus.

disneycruisegal
07-16-2011, 04:44 PM
My DH and I did an 11 night Med cruise last May, we were seated at a table for four, but it was just the two of us. This was nice, but after a while we missed discussing the days events and excursions with others. We have sailed five times and have never had a bad experience with tablemates. Even the personalities that didn't really mess with mine didn't make a difference...just talk to the people that you're interested in and have fun. Plus you can always ask to change tables if you get a tablemate from hell. I hope that you have fun on your cruise!

kimistry6
07-16-2011, 04:56 PM
We were seated with another family with kids all around the same age. They came to dinner for 2 nights and then we never saw them again at dinner. They were having trouble with the late dining so they switched to early. We did see them several times during the cruise and had great conversations. My DH and I were happy to have the table all to ourselves but also missed the conversations/experiences of our table mates.

I still prefer dining with just the family but I will not be upset if we have table mates.

msgoofy
07-16-2011, 05:02 PM
It's just my DH and me, no children.

Will they sit us at a table with other adults only?

Thanks.

extechie rbd/wdt
07-16-2011, 05:13 PM
Ummm... How could a bunch of strangers on the Internet even begin to answer this question? Which would YOU prefer?

As Cerberus says how we know what is right for you and your son?

Are you comfortable making conversation during the hour and a half + with adult strangers over a meal each night, or would you prefer small talk?
Are you comfortable with eating with other Guests you may not share similar tastes with or discipline of their child or children, or social background?
Do you like having a conversation when eating, or prefer to eat quietly?
Is your son comfortable at a dinner table with other strangers being close by?
Does you son have any special needs, does he have challenges?
Is he scared of characters?
If he does then it wouldn't be reasonable to expect the other family/families to not have a character come over to you table because your child is upset by them.

At 3 yrs old, will the dining experience be mostly for yourself and your partner, or as a whole family, or will it be totally about your son?

I think if you provide more intimate details about your family then you might get a better answer to your question that will provide a lot more information and experiences! ;)

Ex Techie

Samantha_Mommy
07-16-2011, 05:31 PM
Myabe you'll be in luck and they will seat with with a parent and another child near your child's age?

Makayna
07-16-2011, 07:23 PM

Thanks.

Maybe, maybe not. I've heard it both ways. I think they TRY to seat people w/o children with other people w/o children, but sometimes, it doesn't always work out that way. Although if you're in late dining, I think you probably have a better chance of sitting with people w/o kids, since I think mostly families try to get early dining.

What I would do if I were worried about that is, I would go onto my cruise meet thread, meet some other people on your cruise who don't have any children, and link your dinner reservations together (not necessarily your room reservations... just your dinner reservations). That way, you're sitting with people who you've gotten a chance to talk to online a bit, and you're less likely to be put with families with children. ;)

csmith1004
07-16-2011, 07:32 PM
When DH and I went in 2000 we were seated with an older couple. They were very nice. We enjoyed it.

This trip it will be Myself, DH, 2 kids and my inlaws so 6 total in our party. Will they still seat us with others or is a table of 6 large enough that we will sit alone? I don't mind the company but it seems like any more would be a large group at one table! :)

extechie rbd/wdt
Maybe, maybe not. I've heard it both ways. I think they TRY to seat people w/o children with other people w/o children, but sometimes, it doesn't always work out that way. Although if you're in late dining, I think you probably have a better chance of sitting with people w/o kids, since I think mostly families try to get early dining.

What I would do if I were worried about that is, I would go onto my cruise meet thread, meet some other people on your cruise who don't have any children, and link your dinner reservations together (not necessarily your room reservations... just your dinner reservations). That way, you're sitting with people who you've gotten a chance to talk to online a bit, and you're less likely to be put with families with children. ;)

Makayna,
I think you have posted the wrong post in the wrong thread.
The original poster has a 3 year old that they are worried about him and them seated at a table with other people.

Cr*p happens sometimes! :hug:

Ex Techie

Alexander
As Cerberus says how we know what is right for you and your son?

Are you comfortable making conversation during the hour and a half + with adult strangers over a meal each night, or would you prefer small talk? Not really.
Are you comfortable with eating with other Guests you may not share similar tastes with or discipline of their child or children, or social background? Nope
Do you like having a conversation when eating, or prefer to eat quietly? Eat quietly
Is your son comfortable at a dinner table with other strangers being close by? No way.
Does you son have any special needs, does he have challenges? No
Is he scared of characters? YesIf he does then it wouldn't be reasonable to expect the other family/families to not have a character come over to you table because your child is upset by them. Nope
At 3 yrs old, will the dining experience be mostly for yourself and your partner, or as a whole family, or will it be totally about your son? My Family
I think if you provide more intimate details about your family then you might get a better answer to your question that will provide a lot more information and experiences! ;)

Ex Techie

Can you tell we like tables to ourselves?!:lmao:

Alexander
07-16-2011, 07:35 PM

Thanks.

These go together.

extechie rbd/wdt
07-16-2011, 07:40 PM
Can you tell we like tables to ourselves?!:lmao:

It would be the same for me if I had paid for a cruise on DCL.

I ate in Lumiere's one night with my ex partner and his family after getting clearance from the CD, and fortunately we had our own table to our selves (5 of us). :thumbsup2

Not knowing who your going to be seated with for meals every night must be a really lottery guessing game!

Not a lottery I would personally want to enter into, even if I could make new friends!

Ex Techie

pdwimmer
07-16-2011, 07:40 PM
We only cruised one time prior on Disney.... They did a great job of putting us with a girl that was my eldest girl's age. But her mom was single. So after the first night her mom stopped joining us and sent her daughter alone. I never asked why she didn't want to join the group, at least the girls had fun together. This coming year there are too many of us to be seated with another family. I think that would be fun. But oh well. I'll just have to put on my smiles deckside and make some friends. Happy cruising!!!!!

Alexander
07-16-2011, 07:42 PM
It would be the same for me if I had paid for a cruise on DCL.

I ate in Lumiere's one with my ex partner and his family after getting clearance from the CD, and fortunately we had our own table to our selves (5 of us). :thumbsup2

Not knowing who your going to be seated with for meals every night must be a really lottery guessing game!

Not a lottery I would personally want to enter into, even if I could make new friends!

Ex Techie

You have the same tablemates for the length of the cruise, so at least after the first night, you kind of know them. It's just not for us.:confused3

extechie rbd/wdt
07-16-2011, 07:43 PM
These go together.

Ooop's :goofy:

Thnlk
07-16-2011, 08:23 PM
On our last cruise.The wife and I were seated with 3 other couples traveling without kids. We had a great time and still stay in touch.

twindaddy
07-16-2011, 08:30 PM
Does anyone know if you can link dining but not staterooms? This may be a good tactic for my surprise thread....to make sure I get at their table but they dont know about it....

Jerseymomof2
07-16-2011, 09:18 PM
OP I think it depends on what you would prefer. My hubby is more strict with the kids at the table when others are around.(no silliness aloud) We have requested a table alone (there are 5 of us) if we don't get it there are pleanty of other places on the ship for us to eat so we will skip the dining rooms if we don't get a table alone.

twindaddy
07-16-2011, 09:20 PM
OP I think it depends on what you would prefer. My hubby is more strict with the kids at the table when others are around.(no silliness aloud) We have requested a table alone (there are 5 of us) if we don't get it there are pleanty of other places on the ship for us to eat so we will skip the dining rooms if we don't get a table alone.

Can we sit with you? We are pretty strict at the dinner table too, maybe I could request "strict family" with my TA. :yay:

extechie rbd/wdt
07-16-2011, 10:09 PM
You have the same tablemates for the length of the cruise, so at least after the first night, you kind of know them. It's just not for us.:confused3

I wasn't clear in that I know you have the same dining table mates and servers every night, what I meant was not knowing who you are going to have to be dining with every night for the length of your cruise.

Scary thought after reading what some Guests have had to put up with from some of their assigned table mates and it is some comfort to hear how many friendships have been made since!

Ex Techie

Makayna
07-16-2011, 10:22 PM
Does anyone know if you can link dining but not staterooms? This may be a good tactic for my surprise thread....to make sure I get at their table but they dont know about it....

Yes, I believe so.

ILoveDisney&Cruising
07-16-2011, 10:24 PM
Can we sit with you? We are pretty strict at the dinner table too, maybe I could request "strict family" with my TA. :yay:

:thumbsup2:thumbsup2 same here! ;) although ... we are a little silly, too. I guess we're just a little mixed up? :confused3

:goodvibes

twindaddy
07-16-2011, 10:30 PM
:thumbsup2:thumbsup2 same here! ;) although ... we are a little silly, too. I guess we're just a little mixed up? :confused3

:goodvibes

Its all about balance, I do NOT let my children use outside voice, get up out of their seat, or get ANYTHING from the server unless they said please and thank you, and for gods sake chew with your mouth closed.

But we can still tell jokes, stories, draw, color, and if we are alone, play daddy football with the straw wrapper (I make a goal post with my thumb and fore finger and they try to shoot it in like a field goal), ECT, have fun family time together. Another big thing is simply knowing your child. I doubt mine (or me for that matter!) could sit through a two hour meal. I plan on seeing how it goes the first night, but in general feeding them first, off to the kids club you go, see you on the way to the show. Not many children care to survive a 90 minute meal.

Curious to hear dining nightmares from previous cruisers?

ILoveDisney&Cruising
07-16-2011, 10:45 PM
Curious to hear dining nightmares from previous cruisers?

SADLY, our only dining nightmare was from people who we traveled with.

We had a LARGE party ... almost 30 people ... these were 'friends of a friend' and OMG ... simply atrocious behavior from their kids. Couldn't even begin to relay all the horrors. I knew the mother & father were not rule-followers when she showed up to dinner one night in her bathing suit. :sad2: (can't seem to find the 'fainting' emoticon right now! :lmao:) I wanted to crawl under the table!!

I was truly embarassed all 7 nights with the out-of-control behavior of their kids and hope the rest of us weren't judged by this one family who was seated with us ... but I know we most likely were :sad1: (it's human nature).

Toward the end of the cruise, a few of us ate upstairs at Topsiders to get away from them -- thought we'd be going to the buffet, but much to our surprise - Topsiders was a 'sit down' at dinnertimes.

Anywho ... this 'family' has been asked (by our mutual friend) that if they return again, to please feed their kids ahead of time and take them to the kids club so that the rest of us (and the entire restaurant!!) can eat in peace. I hope they are also told to avoid wearing bathing suits to dinner! :rolleyes1 UGH!

twindaddy
07-16-2011, 10:50 PM
SADLY, our only dining nightmare was from people who we traveled with.

We had a LARGE party ... almost 30 people ... these were 'friends of a friend' and OMG ... simply atrocious behavior from their kids. Couldn't even begin to relay all the horrors. I knew the mother & father were not rule-followers when she showed up to dinner one night in her bathing suit. :sad2: (can't seem to find the 'fainting' emoticon right now! :lmao:)

I was truly embarassed all 7 nights and hope the rest of us weren't judged by this one family who was seated with us ... but I know we most likely were :sad1: (it's human nature).

Toward the end of the cruise, a few of us ate upstairs at Topsiders to get away from them -- thought we'd be going to the buffet, but much to our surprise - Topsiders was a 'sit down' at dinnertimes.

Anywho ... this 'family' has been asked (by our mutual friend) that if they return again, to please feed their kids ahead of time and take them to the kids club. I hope they are also told to avoid wearing bathing suits to dinner! :rolleyes1 UGH!

Wow, I wonder what those on these boards who claim their dinner is ruined when they see someone in shorts / jeans would do if they saw someone in a bathing suit? I guess it depends on how good looking they are :rolleyes1

I have a great friendship right now that is kinda slowly ending because of a nightmare child the parents refuse to control, it is really sad. We could trade demon child stories via PM, but the last straw was him laughing about killing their gold fish by banging on the tank, and the parents didnt care. Um, pyscho killer much?

Fltwin
07-16-2011, 11:54 PM

Luckily, I got a bunch of nice advice. Thanks to all who replied. I really appreciate it.

Alexander
07-17-2011, 08:20 AM
I wasn't clear in that I know you have the same dining table mates and servers every night, what I meant was not knowing who you are going to have to be dining with every night for the length of your cruise.

Scary thought after reading what some Guests have had to put up with from some of their assigned table mates and it is some comfort to hear how many friendships have been made since!

Ex Techie

:thumbsup2 Gottcha! I read it as new tablemates everynight:scared1:

Snowecru
07-17-2011, 09:08 AM
Try it out. If it works, you've got some new friends. If it doesn't work, as for a different table. :confused3

TiaMaria
07-17-2011, 10:44 AM

Thanks.

Maybe, maybe not. One cruise, we sat with another family as well as a honeymoon couple. We all had a blast.

We've been blessed with great tablemates each time we've cruised.

Knock on wood!

ludari
07-17-2011, 10:50 AM
I've done both since I traveled alone on several cruises including a couple of Disney Cruises. I was once at a table with nine other passengers and none of them had ever traveled on a Disney Cruise so it was nice sharing my limited Disney Cruise experience with them. I've also enjoyed just sitting by myself at a table on another Disney Cruise but I guess that depends on how you feel about sitting alone. My next cruise in September I will probably asks to have my own table if possible.

chaoskids
07-17-2011, 06:02 PM
We will be on our third cruise next summer (the Dream, yeah!) and we have always been seated at our own table because of the size our family group (ten next year). But even if our group was smaller, we would probaly get our own table. We look forward to this time, as it is a time to talk and laugh and enjoy each other at the end of our busy days. My kids are getting older now though and tend to go their own way. :hug:
When they were younger, I would have chosen what would have made them comfortable. Is your child shy or out going? Talkaive or quiet? Tend to have dinner time melt downs? Short lived ones? One of my boys tended to be very tired by dinner time when he was two - three years old.:eek: We didn't want table melt downs to bother others in the restaruant. If he couldn't get it together after a minute or so, we stepped out until he could. Now, of course, their angels. :lmao:

jjgarv
07-17-2011, 06:38 PM
Six years ago, we took our DD on her first Disney cruise...she was 3 at the time. We were matched with a family of 4 four dinner, and we had a great time! We still keep in touch and have cruised with them a couple more times.

DCL has always done a great job matching us with great table mates. And it must be said...at times, it's been easier to get along with strangers than with the extended family! :thumbsup2

bbaltes
07-17-2011, 07:43 PM
We've debated about joining our family of 3 (DD8) with others. It would be fun to give our daughter someone to talk to and play with, but we just found that (and this is us - not everyone) we had to be "on" when we had tablemates. Always looking to start up a conversation when it lulled, hold opinions to ourselves about our day, just be kind of, well, "pent up." I know there are many here who have had tremendous luck in finding table partners that they keep in touch with for years. We have just found that sitting by ourselves (and this year with Grandma) would be much more relaxing.

Again, just our thoughts - and probably don't reflect the experiences of many here on the boards.

Ben, Jenny, and Lily (DD8) and Grandma Dot

twindaddy
07-17-2011, 07:48 PM
at times, it's been easier to get along with strangers than with the extended family! :thumbsup2

Amen to that! If I had to sit with my father in law, well, I might jump overboard....or toss him overboard.

Fire14
07-17-2011, 08:54 PM

Thanks.

we have always been sat at tables with other adults. Once had 9yo child also but he rarely came to dinner and was very mature when he did

Terri2007
07-17-2011, 10:04 PM

Actually, these boards are all about asking strangers for advice. I see you do it enough and certainly from the look of the answers this OP has received, there was a fair bid of advice to be given.

Disneyholic
07-17-2011, 10:17 PM
Makayna,
I think you have posted the wrong post in the wrong thread.
The original poster has a 3 year old that they are worried about him and them seated at a table with other people.

Cr*p happens sometimes! :hug:

Ex Techie

Makayna was responding to Msgoofy's question about adults, Not OPs post.

Makayna
07-17-2011, 10:24 PM
Makayna was responding to Msgoofy's question about adults, Not OPs post.

This was already pointed out here:

These go together.

And responded to by Ex Techie here:

Ooop's :goofy:

;)

Disneyholic
07-17-2011, 10:31 PM
This was already pointed out here:

And responded to by Ex Techie here:

;)

OOPs sorry, didn't realize there were 3 pages till I had already hit the send button and the post had gone through.:upsidedow

Makayna
07-17-2011, 10:36 PM
OOPs sorry, didn't realize there were 3 pages till I had already hit the send button and the post had gone through.:upsidedow

No biggie. :hug:

twindaddy
07-17-2011, 10:41 PM
:grouphug:

Fltwin
07-17-2011, 11:23 PM
Actually, these boards are all about asking strangers for advice. I see you do it enough and certainly from the look of the answers this OP has received, there was a fair bid of advice to be given.

Thank you. Very much:)

BigDisneyOE
07-18-2011, 12:20 AM
We are asking for a table for ourselves for most of the reasons posters have previously stated. Plus I've got food allergies, so it's easier not to have stuff I'm allergic to on the table with me. I do get having to 'be on' the whole dinner too, having worked in marketing and sales for years both DH tend to have to be the conversation enabler if things lull out. I just want to eat safely, make sure my kids sit, eat and enjoy without causing a hassle to anyone and just enjoy the first meals out we will have had in five years. My advice is do what you instinctively know you'd like to in terms on seating, it sounds like it's a bit of a request game anyway.

DaniB
07-18-2011, 06:21 AM
This was an interesting read. I didn't know families could request to have their own table. I always thought families (or couples) always dined with at least one other party.

Yes, I have never cruised before. ;)

One question I have that I didn't see answered here. We won't have a problem dining with others (since that's what we assumed was norm anyways) and think it would be fun. Can we request that, if possible, they match us with a family that have kids our age?

Donaldcp98
07-18-2011, 06:48 AM
This was an interesting read. I didn't know families could request to have their own table. I always thought families (or couples) always dined with at least one other party.

One question I have that I didn't see answered here. We won't have a problem dining with others (since that's what we assumed was norm anyways) and think it would be fun. Can we request that, if possible, they match us with a family that have kids our age?

This will be our third disney cruise for the WBTA. Each time Disney has been very good seating us with people in similar situations. First time for honeymoon we had two other honeymoon couples and a couple that had only been married for a year. Last year on the EBTA we had couples that were all about our age and several of them also being cast member (although one couple wasn't and I felt bad when they all started "talking shop" so I tried to explain or start a seperate conversation) I think Disney makes a point to try to keep people in similar situations together to make it easier. But I guess you can put in a request and see what happens.

Makayna
07-18-2011, 07:04 AM

They will try to do that anyways. Most people say that they are put with families similar to theirs. On occasion, that's not the case, and the kids are much older or younger than yours, but DCL does try to put like families together, from what I understand. :)

What I would do is, if there are any families on your meet thread that have kids your children's ages, I would see if you can link dinner reservations with them so you can sit with them. ;)

If you haven't joined your meet group yet, click "Disney Cruise Meets" at the top of the forum page and find your meet group. You may find families with kids the same ages as yours and that way, you can ensure that you WILL sit with a family that meets that request. :)

But if you don't want to do that, DCL will TRY to seat you with other families similar to yours. ;)

DaniB
07-18-2011, 07:20 AM
Sounds great, thanks! I did read some posters saying Disney sat them with families similar to theirs, but wasn't sure if that was the norm or by chance. I'm glad to read DCL does it by design!

Arranging dining reservations with another DISer family is a great idea.

Rogillio
07-18-2011, 12:32 PM
We all cruise for different reasons. The number one reason I love cruising is dinner together as a family every night. We all do our own things durning the day but we always reconnect at dinner. Dinner is family time. Period. I'm not looking to meet people or make new friends or exchange ideas with other people. If I want to do that, I'll go to a lounge or pool side.

It is my experience that families of 4 usually end up being seated alone. In all our cruising we have never been seated with anyone else. And when you think about it, a table for 4 makes more sense than a table for 8....assuming they paired us with a peer family. Kinda hard for 8 people to have a quiet/intimate dinner.....based soley on the fact that the table is so big. :-)

mainstreetmagic
07-18-2011, 12:51 PM
We've only been on one cruise, but we (2 in our party, mother/teen daughter) were seated at a table for 4. There was supposed to be another party of 2 seated with us, but they never showed up for any of the meals. I was told, though, that it was another mother/teen daughter that were assigned to our table. I think Disney probably tries very hard to match up like sets of parties to dine together. I personally probably wouldn't be thrilled to sit at a table with a bunch of small children. :) I promise I am only being honest, and not trying to be mean. :)

eva
07-18-2011, 01:24 PM
When DH and I cruise alone, we usually like to have tablemates to share our day with. But when we bring extended family, we like to have our own table. I know that DCL tries to seat you with like type people. But sometimes they miss the mark. Twice we have had fabulous tablemates that were close to our ages and either empty nesters or couples with older kids traveling alone. And we are still in contact with a few of them. But two other times they put us with tablemates that I had to ask "WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?!?" The first time was the worse one. We were celebrating our 20th anniversary and they sat us at a table with a woman, her grown daughter, and 3 grandkids. I think that we could have lived with the situation, but none of them spoke a word of English and the kids ran around the table half the night. I was near tears. But since we were on a three night cruise and had a night at Palo, we toughed it out. The second time that they didn't make the mark was when they sat us with 3 couples 2 were on their honeymoons and the third had been married less than a year. We were in our late 40's an empty nesters. I don't know if DCL thought we would sit around and give them sage advice. It was interesting listening to their idea of what marriage is all about. Luckily we were in a 1-bedroom suite and could eat dinner in the room, which we did a couple nights. Don't worry, we still tipped our waiters the recommended amount. Our best experience was a cruise where we meet people on the Meets thread and linked our reservations together. It was awesome!

Rogillio
07-18-2011, 01:27 PM
We've only been on one cruise, but we (2 in our party, mother/teen daughter) were seated at a table for 4. There was supposed to be another party of 2 seated with us, but they never showed up for any of the meals. I was told, though, that it was another mother/teen daughter that were assigned to our table. I think Disney probably tries very hard to match up like sets of parties to dine together. I personally probably wouldn't be thrilled to sit at a table with a bunch of small children. :) I promise I am only being honest, and not trying to be mean. :)

So maybe they took one look at y'all and requested to be reassigned? :-) Just teasing.

But really, wouldn't it feel kind of rude if, after the first night dinning with your family, the other family requested to be reassigned? :-)

twindaddy
07-18-2011, 10:33 PM
I promise I am only being honest, and not trying to be mean. :)

Just like I wouldnt want to be at a table with a teenager! :rolleyes1

Having worked many years in juvenile hall, I have had enough teenagers for a few life times....even the good ones.

Luckily my girls promised me they would NEVER become teenagers, thank god!

Fire14
07-19-2011, 10:59 AM
It is my experience that families of 4 usually end up being seated alone. In all our cruising we have never been seated with anyone else. And when you think about it, a table for 4 makes more sense than a table for 8....assuming they paired us with a peer family. Kinda hard for 8 people to have a quiet/intimate dinner.....based soley on the fact that the table is so big. :-)

This maybe true but I know on our last cruise we were at an 8 seater table. WE had 7 people at our table, Not sure if 8th person dropped or never exsisted. WE actually did have 2 or 3 covos going at at sametime most nights. It was all adults, there was a Family from Cleveland,OH area, A lady from Texas ( houston, I believe), and our crew of OHio and MI. WE are still friends with family from Ohio, lady from TX never really seemed into group.