PDA

View Full Version : Adding an exchange student to our room for June 2012

3luv2travel
07-15-2011, 07:43 PM
DH & I are considering hosting an exchange student for the next school year. We already have a Western Fantasy cruise booked (it's a 10A room that sleeps four) for our family of 3 for 6/9/2012. Now I'm thinking that if we host a student that she would LOVE to come along with us. (who wouldn't!!!!)

I understand that adding a guest to a room will cost more money. But do we ALL pay the current sailing rate or does just the additional guest have to pay an increased fare?

Also, I realize that it may or may not be an option to add a person to the room due to lifeboat capacity. We'll cross that bridge when we come to it, I guess. I know that if we have to cancel our current reservation and re-book at current rates that there's NO WAY we can afford to make the switch.

Any help is appreciated! TIA

mickeyfan1
07-15-2011, 07:52 PM
Whomever you booked with, call and add a TBA guest. Pay the additional deposit, ff your fare is still the same you will not pay more. If it is more, only the new passenger should pay the additional, at least that is what has happened to me in the past. If you can add her and it doesn't work out, you can drop her, but if you wait to long to add her, you may find there is no room. And even tho she is a FE student, you may need special permission to take her out of the country. Check with your FE people, they are well versed in the rules.

SoCaOC-Mom
07-15-2011, 08:35 PM
Just to add to Mickey's post, if they are an exchange student you might need to know what type of visa they are entering under, it may not allow multiple entry.

MadtownMama
07-15-2011, 08:43 PM
Do you have an expected time for when she would go home by? We hosted several exchange students in the past through EF Foundation and every single one went home by the second week of June. (or a week after school was out)

cmctammyg
07-15-2011, 08:45 PM
I added someone to our May western. They were added at the new rate and our rates stayed the same. I hope that helps!

CCGMatt
07-15-2011, 08:52 PM
You may have a larger problem with customs than with the cost. When we hosted a German exchange student when I was in high school, we took a family trip to Niagara Falls, to the Canadian side. We had no problem getting the student in to Canada, but getting back into the US was rather tricky. The customs agents didn't like the fact that he was coming back into the country again. Also, because we were transporting a foreign minor across country lines, there was some suspicion, even though the student had paperwork from the exchange program and his passport. I would check the rules for your student's trip - it might specify that they can't leave the country. Also, if they have to have a visa, they might only get one entrance into the US. Your exchange program should be able to help with this.

3luv2travel
07-15-2011, 09:20 PM
Thanks for all of the information!! It helps A LOT!

I at least know that it may be possible to add a person at a reasonable cost. I also know that I need to have a long talk with the FE people and see about her VISA and travel permits.

The FE folks already stated that a later "return date" was no problem (our schools don't get out until the first week of June) but if they can't guarantee that she'll be able to travel then it may not work for us.

I really appreciate your help! :thumbsup2