PDA

View Full Version : Bday cake on Dream...free or fee?

BeautyFan
07-15-2011, 07:03 PM
:confused3
Any recent cruisers on the Dream request a birthday or special occasion cake from Guest Svcs or your Head Waiter? A few months ago it was reported that they now charge for these requests, but I'd like some more recent information.

Dad is celebrating his bday on our cruise next week and we'd like to request a cake in the dining room that night.

:teeth::teeth:

Jenemmy
07-15-2011, 07:13 PM
:confused3
Any recent cruisers on the Dream request a birthday or special occasion cake from Guest Svcs or your Head Waiter? A few months ago it was reported that they now charge for these requests, but I'd like some more recent information.

Dad is celebrating his bday on our cruise next week and we'd like to request a cake in the dining room that night.

:teeth::teeth:

We celebrated my birthday back in December on the Wonder. My DH had mentioned my b-day when making the ressie, but nothing past that. After I ordered dessert the first night, they brought me not only what I ordered, but a HUGE slab of birthday cake as well (GINORMOUS -- easily shared) It was a type of angel food cake layered with a whipped cream frosting with a white chocolate replica of the ship on top. We took it back to our room and had it for breakfast the next morning :rolleyes1

BeautyFan
07-15-2011, 07:31 PM
We celebrated my birthday back in December on the Wonder. My DH had mentioned my b-day when making the ressie, but nothing past that. After I ordered dessert the first night, they brought me not only what I ordered, but a HUGE slab of birthday cake as well (GINORMOUS -- easily shared) It was a type of angel food cake layered with a whipped cream frosting with a white chocolate replica of the ship on top. We took it back to our room and had it for breakfast the next morning :rolleyes1

:thumbsup2
That is so nice! who needs room service breakfast when there is cake! :woohoo:

We are celebrating Dads bday as a family (kids & grandkids) so there will be 13 of us. If they still do a full complimentary cake at dinner then we'll celebrate there. If I am paying for a bday cake, then we might opt to have it in the afternoon or wait a bit after dinner in the stateroom or someplace like the Vista Cafe. :grouphug:

mickeyfan1
07-15-2011, 07:48 PM
DCL has changed the policy and now the free anniversary or Birthday or first tooth or whatever is a very small dessert. If you want cake, you will have to ask your server for the price list and they need 24 hours notice. When 70 to 80 percent of the tables have a special occasion during the cruise, it gets a bit hard for the kitchen to keep up, so DCL changed their policy. Carnival did the same a few years back. If you want a cake the first night, order it through the Gifts and Amenities area of the DCL website and it will be in your cabin. If it is for later in the week, order it from your server.

It seems that the more people that find out about "free" things the fewer free things are offered. Guest services has stopped allowing untold numbers of things to be autographed, they limit it to 2 or 4 per cabin. I think we will see a decline in free "I'm Celebrating" buttons, as it seems like everyone is celebrating something, whether it is happening during the cruise or 3 years from it. JMO, I know there are many here who say if DCL offers it, why should I get it?

mmouse37
07-15-2011, 09:02 PM
I just updated the FAQ sticky with the new pricing list for the cakes. It is under "Cake"

MJ