PDA

View Full Version : DCL Raises Prices

waltdisney427
07-15-2011, 06:29 PM
Okay, so a few days ago I priced a Disney Cruise for August 2012 on the Dream. (5 Nights) And when I priced it then it was about $6,600 for a family of 5 in a family oceaview room with verandah, and just now when I checked, it jumped up to $7,500? Does anyone know if this is just temporary for a few weeks so DCL can make a few extra bucks? Or is that there new final price?

Thanks

PrincessShmoo
07-15-2011, 06:41 PM
Okay, so a few days ago I priced a Disney Cruise for August 2012 on the Dream. (5 Nights) And when I priced it then it was about $6,600 for a family of 5 in a family oceaview room with verandah, and just now when I checked, it jumped up to $7,500? Does anyone know if this is just temporary for a few weeks so DCL can make a few extra bucks? Or is that there new final price?

Thanks

It usually means that the cruise is selling well, and the prices go up if it is.

Generally, prices are lower the further out you book.

Sometimes, prices will be lower real close to sailing date, but only if you willing to take whatever room DCL wants to assign you to.

:cutie:

waltdisney427
07-15-2011, 06:44 PM
Alright- that makes sense, but is there still a chance for them to drop their prices?

TiaMaria
07-15-2011, 06:47 PM
It's doubtful that it will drop.

Look at it like airline prices, the further out you book, the lower the price. The closer in, the higher the price.

The lowest price is almost always the first day the dates are released.

If prices are going up now, that usually means that date is selling well.

Once every great while, they may throw in an incentive such as "Kids Sail Free", but you can't count on that.

This is why you will see people booking years in advance, even if it is just a "dummy date".

woody73
07-15-2011, 07:27 PM
. . . a few days ago I priced a Disney Cruise for August 2012 on the Dream.
August is a very popular month for cruises. I'm not surprised bookings that month for the Dream are so strong.

Woody

tvguy
07-15-2011, 08:16 PM
Alright- that makes sense, but is there still a chance for them to drop their prices?

Almost zero chance. As others have noted, as the date of the cruise approaches, and the number of cabins available drops, prices go up on Disney.

mmouse37
07-15-2011, 08:28 PM
Don't expect any discounts on the Dream or Fantasy next year....they are selling well above DCL's projected estimates and there is no need to discount to get people buying....they are buying at these high prices.

The way DCL pricing works is on a tier system.....when a particular percentage or amount of cabins are sold in a pricing tier the price jumps up to the next higher tier. Obviously there was a teir price jump between last week and this week. We were onboard in January and wanted to add friend to our Fantasy cruise for next June and in just a few hours while they made their decision the price jumped over $300.00.

The last minute discount that was discussed is fairly new (since January) and is only offered on cruises they are not selling as well as DCL likes. There are many restrictions and rules.

You can read about the last minute discounts in this thread.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2629213

MJ

extechie rbd/wdt
07-15-2011, 08:29 PM
Supply and Demand.

You have X to sell and only a few Y's want it. You sell them, a few at a time at a really good rate until they are all sold out..

The Y's have bought up all the X's you sold them and sold on to the W's.
So you sell them some more.
The Y's sell all the X's quickly, so you increase the price of X's because the Y's want them to sell on.
Then the Z's find out how many people want the X's and they want some X's to sell!
The price of an X is now 3 times what it was when the Y's first tried to sell them.

Capitalism...... Gotta love it!

Ex Techie

darkwing818
07-15-2011, 09:18 PM
[QUOTE=extechie rbd/wdt;41861745]Supply and Demand.

You have X to sell and only a few Y's want it. You sell them, a few at a time at a really good rate until they are all sold out..

The Y's have bought up all the X's you sold them and sold on to the W's.
So you sell them some more.
The Y's sell all the X's quickly, so you increase the price of X's because the Y's want them to sell on.
Then the Z's find out how many people want the X's and they want some X's to sell!
The price of an X is now 3 times what it was when the Y's first tried to sell them.

As we learned the Hard Way after our first 3 cruises..."Book Early & Book Often" :cool1:

tinkerone
07-15-2011, 09:37 PM
i can tell you we have been looking at a cruise for oct of this year and last week it was 200 less than it was this morning and right now it is 200 plus LESS than it was this morning. seems to be moving around a lot.

Fjobe
07-15-2011, 11:38 PM
We were looking at cruising in March 2012. I was gonna book one morning before work (I had noticed the prices creeping up daily), but ran short on time. By the time got home, the price had jumped like $1500! I have checked the prices since then, and they have only gone up even higher. So, we decided to wait until the March 2013 cruises come out and we will book immediately!

HsvTeacher
07-16-2011, 12:15 AM
When we were debating about whether or not to go ahead and book our March 2012 cruise, I kept checking prices to see which one we wanted to take. We finally decided on the date, and the price went up by over $300 from one day until the next.

The price still hasn't dropped any, but it also hasn't gone up, either.

maria-fan-22
07-16-2011, 01:05 AM
Don't expect any DCL price to drop. Lately they have introduced a new category that opens up very late in the booking time that offers cheaper prices, but this is only for a few staterooms that they really want to book. My suggestion, book asap and if you decide you can't go at that time, move your cruise around. But the point is that the prices rarely drop. pirate:

ruadisneyfan2
07-16-2011, 03:04 AM
Don't expect any DCL price to drop. Lately they have introduced a new category that opens up very late in the booking time that offers cheaper prices, but this is only for a few staterooms that they really want to book. My suggestion, book asap and if you decide you can't go at that time, move your cruise around. But the point is that the prices rarely drop. pirate:

So far, I've only seen them on the Magic & KSF on the Wonder.
I don't recall any specials for the Dream or Fantasy.

Our late Sept 3-nt cruise which typically is very low peak cruising time (during school year and hurricane season) has had the price go up about $700 for 2 guests and over $1000 for 4.

We almost always book as soon as dates are released, usually 2 yrs out.

HELPDESKGUY
07-16-2011, 06:56 AM
It's doubtful that it will drop.

Look at it like airline prices, the further out you book, the lower the price. The closer in, the higher the price.

The lowest price is almost always the first day the dates are released.

If prices are going up now, that usually means that date is selling well.

Once every great while, they may throw in an incentive such as "Kids Sail Free", but you can't count on that.

This is why you will see people booking years in advance, even if it is just a "dummy date".

Airlines are opposite this fact...the further out you book usually more expensive. There is no rhyme or reason to their pricing computations. DCL I have noticed does not go up or down in price at least not for us and I've been checking the same cruise everyday since January.

Tinknalli
07-16-2011, 08:32 AM
Different airlines have different pricing structures. In some cities Jet Blue's best pricing is the first day they release the fare and it continues to climb from there. This is their pricing structure. That is not to say that there are exceptions to this rule and certian cities do have have fare sales through Jet Blue. My city has never had a fare sale with them since we began fling with them. We book day 1. Legacy airlines seem to have more up and down fluctuation but I still usually see the best price within a week of the fare being released.

Disney Cruise line seems to work the same during popular times. Cheapest at day 1 and up from there. We booked a category 9 Deluxe family oceanview stateroom for April 14 2012 on the Fantasy 7 day Western in October 2010. We are a family of 4. Our fare including taxes fees etc is $4099. You can't get inside or oceanview on the cruise any more the only cabins left are verandah and they are close to $7000 for a family of 4. I don't expect there will be any drops on this sailing no matter how close you get to the sail date. Granted this is spring break and the 3rd sailing of a new ship. But if we had waited to book we would have quickly been forced to make decisions about if we wanted to spend that much money.

ruadisneyfan2
07-16-2011, 08:49 AM
Airlines are opposite this fact...the further out you book usually more expensive. There is no rhyme or reason to their pricing computations. DCL I have noticed does not go up or down in price at least not for us and I've been checking the same cruise everyday since January.

Not in my experience. I usually book as soon as prices/dates are released (or as soon as we know we're going.) and often by the end of the 1st day, prices have already gone up.
I've bought airfare for 4 trips in my sig & 7 out of 8 legs of flying have gone up since I bought, only 1 has gone down and that's an Easter Sunday arrival. It dropped $12. The price increases have been between $50 to almost $280.
I'll stick with my booking early method.

DaniB
07-16-2011, 12:51 PM
I priced out a cruise this morning, between 7:30-8am.

It's now 12:50pm and the price has gone up $50.

How often do the prices increase? Daily, weekly?

Angelic Jennifer
07-16-2011, 12:54 PM
As rooms sell, prices increase. I checked on day in February, and got a quote of $3200 for my family of 5 in a cat 4A. The next day it was $3500, and the next day it was $3783, which we ended up booking at. It took two more months for the price to increase again.

woody73
07-16-2011, 01:23 PM
I priced out a cruise this morning, between 7:30-8am.

It's now 12:50pm and the price has gone up $50.

How often do the prices increase? Daily, weekly?
Prices increase in real time as inventory decreases.

For very popular Disney cruises, I've seen the price go up while I was "placed on hold" ready to book.

Woody

pdwimmer
07-16-2011, 01:29 PM
The price increases have been nuts!

We booked the Roy Suite for February 26, 2012 for 9787.85. ( I can not price the price increase now as there are no similar rooms) My in-laws booked the adjoining suite for 3250. I see the same category suite for my in-laws is now 9027.85. So seriously, book as soon as you can if you want to cruise. This is ridiculous and I am I don't think I will book another Disney Cruise. Not because I don't like them, but with the prices there is no way in Haddies they can every live up to my expectations!!!!!

MinnesotaMouseketeers
07-16-2011, 01:38 PM
We have booked everyone of our cruises over a year out. Once we have the money saved; we book for the following year as soon as they release the dates.

While on the Wonder PC cruise we booked a cruise for the Fantasy for next August. If you book it now it is over a $1000.00 more if you book the same category.

cheerbop
07-16-2011, 01:54 PM
We were looking at cruising in March 2012. I was gonna book one morning before work (I had noticed the prices creeping up daily), but ran short on time. By the time got home, the price had jumped like $1500! I have checked the prices since then, and they have only gone up even higher. So, we decided to wait until the March 2013 cruises come out and we will book immediately!

When will the 2013 spring and summer dates be released? Do you have any idea?

AC7179
07-16-2011, 02:11 PM
That is so expensive. We got a crazy deal this spring break (Mexican Riviera cruise 2 adults, 2 kids, 6 and 17 free) for 7 nights for $1800, cat 11. We had an amazing time, loved the inside room, and couldn't have bad a better vacation. Makes it tough to rebook for 3k more for another cruise, though!

Alexander
07-16-2011, 02:16 PM
I personally believe that Disney is attempting to have both ships paid in full by end of 2012. The cruise rates on all of the 2012 itineraries are much much higher than they've ever been (at least the past 5 years or so that I've been sailing).:lmao:

Supply and Demand is the answer to your question however.

mmouse37
07-16-2011, 02:23 PM
I personally believe that Disney is attempting to have both ships paid in full by end of 2012. The cruise rates on all of the 2012 itineraries are much much higher than they've ever been (at least the past 5 years or so that I've been sailing).:lmao:

Supply and Demand is the answer to your question however.

I agree!!! The article that was posted a few days ago said DCL booking for the Dream and Fantasy are surpassing even their estimates......I don't expect any discounts on the new ships for a long, long time.

Oh...to the poster who wanted to know about the 2013 dates.....rumor is that the rates for 2013 will be released this Fall....don't know if they will release the whole year or a partial year like they did this year.

MJ

KristiMc
07-16-2011, 02:23 PM
When will the 2013 spring and summer dates be released? Do you have any idea?

The rumor is sometime in October.

TLSnell1981
07-16-2011, 02:29 PM
Our June cruise on the Dream..Cat T..has increased $6000!!!! And, that's just since February.:scared1:

MrMom
07-16-2011, 03:43 PM
This thread had me curious.

I booked a Cat V back in October of 2010 for the 10/06/2011 sailing for $2758.88.

As of this morning a Cat 11A on the same sailing would cost $2,978.88. An inside stateroom for more than I paid for concierge!! Those magic portholes must be something else!

:scared1:

I will only book on opening day or KSF from now on.

Tonyspad
07-16-2011, 06:36 PM
Our cruise is 11 months away--
We booked a Cat T in October, the cost of the same room is now $10000. more. :sad2: They must be selling well------

TLSnell1981
07-16-2011, 07:05 PM
Our cruise is 11 months away--
We booked a Cat T in October, the cost of the same room is now $10000. more. :sad2: They must be selling well------

Our 5 night...$14,550. One week later..$15,560. (the date) I am shocked, to put it mildly.

Alexander
07-16-2011, 08:19 PM
Our 5 night...$14,550. One week later..$15,560. I am shocked, to put it mildly.

You are shocked over a $1,000 increase when you are paying $14,000 for a 5 night cruise?????????????

Holy Crap! That is $3,000 a day! No flippin' way is DCL worth that!

TLSnell1981
07-16-2011, 08:39 PM
You are shocked over a $1,000 increase when you are paying $14,000 for a 5 night cruise?????????????

Holy Crap! That is $3,000 a day! No flippin' way is DCL worth that!

Heavens no! I posted earlier..

Our June cruise on the Dream..Cat T..has increased $6000!!!! And, that's just since February.:scared1:

twindaddy
07-16-2011, 09:12 PM
So if I know now for sure I want to book in 2013, but will be not onboard until april 2012, can I book now then rebook onboard? Or do I have to cancel and rebook onboard?

TLSnell1981
07-16-2011, 09:19 PM
So if I know now for sure I want to book in 2013, but will be not onboard until april 2012, can I book now then rebook onboard? Or do I have to cancel and rebook onboard?

I would book, before you sail. The price will likely be less..

twindaddy
07-16-2011, 09:23 PM

Hmmmm, good point, but 10% more? I guess anything is possible....

for the record its the MR cruise, which has not exactly been selling like hotcakes

ruadisneyfan2
07-16-2011, 10:57 PM

I agree. Book now so you know you have what you want. Then, once onboard, they can pull up your future cruise (if not thru a TA) and re-shop it. They'll tell you new price and OBCs. You have nothing to lose except early dining if it's sold out. But you can be waitlisted and early dining would have sold out anyway if you waited to book onboard.

If you are booked thru a TA, no problem. Book a new res onboard at the same category you want. You will have to pay another deposit on your cc but once you get home, have your TA move the original cabin choice to your new cruise res #. Then cancel the old one and you'll get 1st deposit credited back to your cc usually before the bill comes for the duplicate deposit. (Though the onboard deposit is half of land-booked dep.)
If you use a TA, be sure to name him/her while onboard to get max OBCs.

twindaddy
07-16-2011, 11:46 PM
I agree. Book now so you know you have what you want. Then, once onboard, they can pull up your future cruise (if not thru a TA) and re-shop it. They'll tell you new price and OBCs. You have nothing to lose except early dining if it's sold out. But you can be waitlisted and early dining would have sold out anyway if you waited to book onboard.

If you are booked thru a TA, no problem. Book a new res onboard at the same category you want. You will have to pay another deposit on your cc but once you get home, have your TA move the original cabin choice to your new cruise res #. Then cancel the old one and you'll get 1st deposit credited back to your cc usually before the bill comes for the duplicate deposit. (Though the onboard deposit is half of land-booked dep.)
If you use a TA, be sure to name him/her while onboard to get max OBCs.

Thank you for the detailed reply, do I loose the deposit or pay any cancellation fees on the first cancelled cruise?

TLSnell1981
07-16-2011, 11:53 PM
Thank you for the detailed reply, do I loose the deposit or pay any cancellation fees on the first cancelled cruise?
Not, if you are within, your cancellation period.

twindaddy
07-16-2011, 11:56 PM
Not, if you are within, your cancellation period.

Which is what, 120 days out for the Wonder?

Thanks for your answers, VERY helpful!

:worship:

Makayna
07-17-2011, 12:24 AM

If you're a first-time cruiser, it's 75 days out. Silver - 90 days. Gold - 105. Platinum - 120. Concierge is a little different even than that. :)

ruadisneyfan2
07-17-2011, 12:28 AM
Hmmmm, good point, but 10% more? I guess anything is possible....
for the record its the MR cruise, which has not exactly been selling like hotcakes
Oh yes it's possible. Quick story:
Last year I booked a 3 nt cruise on the Dream for dh's March birthday, just the 2 of us. In Feb, our district released next year's school schedule which showed the kids have a 4 day weekend in Sept. I quick booked a 3 nt incl kids & with friends. Since we'd be on the ship in just 1 month, 3 days, I figured I would rebook it onboard. Probably 2 weeks before the March cruise, the Sept cruise was already much higher than a 10% increase. So I knew there was no point in trying to rebook it onboard. :headache:

I believe cancellation penalties begin 74 days prior to sailing. Usually 75 days out is final payment due date so any cancellations done closer and you'll lose $. The amount varies with how close you are to sail date.

It think final payment due dates are slightly earlier for special sailings such as Alaskan or Med cruises, not sure.

If you are sailing in Apr 2012 and booking onboard for 2013, just have your TA cancel the original res once you get off the ship. It would really just be a matter of days that you hold 2 reservations for same sailing. Why hold onto it and take a chance of losing that deposit? Plus they can apply those funds to your onboard booking if you'd rather not have it refunded back to your cc.
That part is your choice.

twindaddy
07-17-2011, 12:38 AM
Oh yes it's possible. Quick story:
Last year I booked a 3 nt cruise on the Dream for dh's March birthday, just the 2 of us. In Feb, our district released next year's school schedule which showed the kids have a 4 day weekend in Sept. I quick booked a 3 nt incl kids & with friends. Since we'd be on the ship in just 1 month, 3 days, I figured I would rebook it onboard. Probably 2 weeks before the March cruise, the Sept cruise was already much higher than a 10% increase. So I knew there was no point in trying to rebook it onboard. :headache:

I believe cancellation penalties begin 74 days prior to sailing. Usually 75 days out is final payment due date so any cancellations done closer and you'll lose $. The amount varies with how close you are to sail date.

It think final payment due dates are slightly earlier for special sailings such as Alaskan or Med cruises, not sure.

If you are sailing in Apr 2012 and booking onboard for 2013, just have your TA cancel the original res once you get off the ship. It would really just be a matter of days that you hold 2 reservations for same sailing. Why hold onto it and take a chance of losing that deposit? Plus they can apply those funds to your onboard booking if you'd rather not have it refunded back to your cc.
That part is your choice.

Thank you for the input, yeah, I would cancel it as soon as I got off the boat. I didnt realize you could cancel without penalty so easily as long as you are over 75 days out.

I would have them apply it to my new booking, reducing it a bit (in my mind, not in reality, since that was money I already paid).

thanks again! :thumbsup2

ruadisneyfan2
07-17-2011, 12:44 AM
Thank you for the input, yeah, I would cancel it as soon as I got off the boat. I didnt realize you could cancel without penalty so easily as long as you are over 75 days out.

I would have them apply it to my new booking, reducing it a bit (in my mind, not in reality, since that was money I already paid).

thanks again! :thumbsup2

Yes, well some say why pay extra deposit for a cruise that's 1-2 yrs away?
Personal choice really.

Yes, it's very easy to cancel. This is why I say when you see a cruise you like, book it. Sleep on it later. So easy to call & cancel if you change your mind. (assuming it's > 75 days in advance.)

Have fun planning!

ruadisneyfan2
07-17-2011, 12:48 AM
If you're a first-time cruiser, it's 75 days out. Silver - 90 days. Gold - 105. Platinum - 120. Concierge is a little different even than that. :)

Well, that's for when you can start booking excursions, spa, Palo, etc. online if paid in full. You don't have to pay early if you don't want to book anything online. Cancellation fees certainly don't apply extra early for being a frequent cruiser.

TaylorsDad
07-17-2011, 12:54 PM
Back in perhaps March,I booked a 5 night Disney Dream June 10th Catagory 5E for 2A 1c for $$2800 after 10%. I had to modify date last week and change to a Magic cruise. Just out of curiosity I looked yesterday and same date and category would now cost us $4854 before %10 discount. I have decided from now on if I cannot book immediately when dates come open I will try another line or just not cruise at all.