PDA

View Full Version : Insurance and 14 Days from Deposit

cass'mom
07-14-2011, 11:05 PM
I am confused by trip insurance. :confused: :confused3
As I was looking at the different sites that offer it, do I have to purchase it within 14 days of putting down my initial deposit? If I decide to wait to buy it, then any pre-existing conditions we may have cannot be used as a claim to cancel the trip? (Unless you purchase a more expensive policy that has that waiver allowing purchase after 14 days?)

Are there any other reasons for buying insurance as early as you book your cruise?

cass'mom
07-15-2011, 03:42 PM
Anyone know? Thanks!:worship:

aliron
07-16-2011, 01:19 AM
Yes. Most insurance companies require that the insurance be purchased within 14 days of the first deposit on any cruise to cover pre-existing conditions. I have never purchased within the 14 day window although I am diabetic. I know I should just incase the Dr changes meds or something were to happen, but never really thought about the risk. Never had any thing happen, except I get sea sick on the first night which is normal and been on 4 cruises.

You have to read the fine print on the policy that you are purchasing. I can not think of another reason why you have to purchase it so early other than one thing to knock off your checklist. But purchasing the insurance at such an early stage may leave you over/under insured based on what you calculate as your total cost of the trip.

Normally I buy insurance to cover all the additional travel costs in the vacation and just incase the trip get cancelled. The total costs is not known so far in advance. I can find enough coverage for a 3 night trip for less than $100 on *****************. They list many different companies and have a wide selection of coverage.

They do have some with cancel anytime but you need to read the fine print. They also have someone who can help you select what you need to best fit your needs. You just need to make a decision on what works best in your case.

cass'mom
07-17-2011, 12:26 AM
Thank you so much for clarifying this for me! You've been a huge help!:thumbsup2

dfriia
07-17-2011, 11:11 AM
When I purchase trip insurance, I usually buy a CSA policy that waives pre-existing conditions when purchased within a day of FINAL payment. That way I know that I am not paying to insure nothing up to that date. I find it is usually not that much more expensive a policy than those sold within 14 days of initial deposit. As far as I can tell CSA is the only insurer that still, or currently, is offering such a policy. But, I can also say that I have good past experience with CSA paying claims too which is very important.

ibouncetoo
07-17-2011, 11:20 AM
When I purchase trip insurance, I usually buy a CSA policy that waives pre-existing conditions when purchased within a day of FINAL payment. That way I know that I am not paying to insure nothing up to that date. I find it is usually not that much more expensive a policy than those sold within 14 days of initial deposit. As far as I can tell CSA is the only insurer that still, or currently, is offering such a policy. But, I can also say that I have good past experience with CSA paying claims too which is very important.

Agree 100% This is the policy I buy also (most recently through www.tripinsurancestore.com (http://www.thetripinsurancestore.com)) and the cost difference is very modest. (I think that particular policy is called CBS Free Style)

Also, as someone who bookes dummy cruises on board, I don't even know where and when I'm really going when I make my initial deposit!

cass'mom
07-17-2011, 10:44 PM
I am so happy I have another option and can wait a bit before purchasing insurance. Thanks for the additional info! :thumbsup2

mellers
07-18-2011, 09:53 AM
Are there any other reasons for buying insurance as early as you book your cruise?

That's about it, but please, please, do it. I've known so many people who've really gotten burned because they didn't have pre-existing conditions coverage. One poster, just in the last few months, was suddenly diagnosed with cancer, and didn't know if she would not only be dealing with cancer and have to miss her cruise, but if she would lose all the money for it besides, or not be able to go because she wouldn't have health coverage on the ship.

Unless you have some other medical coverage that will take care of you on ship, buy the insurance.

tinkerbelltwins
07-18-2011, 11:32 AM
Agree 100% This is the policy I buy also (most recently through www.tripinsurancestore.com (http://www.thetripinsurancestore.com)) and the cost difference is very modest. (I think that particular policy is called CBS Free Style)

Also, as someone who bookes dummy cruises on board, I don't even know where and when I'm really going when I make my initial deposit!

I tried using the website listed in your post but couldn't figure out how to find the CBS Free Style on it. Could you walk me through how to find it? :)

Disney 24/7
07-18-2011, 01:03 PM
Please look at other insurance companies. Access America gives you the run around. I had to remove my friend from my cruise on 6/26/2011 because her
brother's cancer came back Memorial Day weekend. He was cancer free in March 2011 by the doctors and I paid the cruise in full by April. Sadly, the
brother passed away on 6/30/11 while I was on the cruise. He was 27 years old.

I called Access America since I have trip insurance and I am told that this is considered a pre-existing condition and my claim will be denied. I am told by DCL to file any way so I even if Access America denies me I can still get some of my cancellation fees for removing my friend. Access America is not helpful
at all. Please get a policy that covers pre-existing condition because that seems to be the excuse you are given if you try to fila a claim.

cass'mom
07-18-2011, 06:57 PM
I tried using the website listed in your post but couldn't figure out how to find the CBS Free Style on it. Could you walk me through how to find it? :)

I found it and it really does look like a good plan. It allows you pre-existing conditions as long as you buy it within 24 hours of your final payment. I am most positive this is the one we'll be purchasing. It's called CSA Freestyle and here is the link I used http://www.tripinsurancestore.com/csa.shtml

Just wondering though if kids are free on this plan?

iankh
07-18-2011, 08:26 PM
I found it and it really does look like a good plan. It allows you pre-existing conditions as long as you buy it within 24 hours of your final payment. I am most positive this is the one we'll be purchasing. It's called CSA Freestyle and here is the link I used http://www.tripinsurancestore.com/csa.shtml

Just wondering though if kids are free on this plan?

A really great thing about the Trip Insurance Store is that you can phone them and talk to a real insurance person and not someone who just reads back the policy.

I've used them several time and they are a small shop. Steve the owner is really great and has saved me from overspending on insurance.