PDA

View Full Version : Wow new baby is expensive!

rillsung
07-14-2011, 12:05 PM
I'm just realizing how much more a 3rd child is going to cost us on our upcoming cruises. Seriously why do we have to go to a cat 4E or pay for another room to fit 5 people when it will be me, DH, a 5yr old, a 3yr old, and a 4month old! I'm really annoyed :( We're in cat 11A right now.

TiaMaria
07-14-2011, 12:09 PM
I'm just realizing how much more a 3rd child is going to cost us on our upcoming cruises. Seriously why do we have to go to a cat 4E or pay for another room to fit 5 people when it will be me, DH, a 5yr old, a 3yr old, and a 4month old! I'm really annoyed :( We're in cat 11A right now.

I know, but "them's the rules".

You could price 2 adjoining rooms to see if it's any less. You just have to have 1 adult on each reservation, but split up sleeping arrangements any way you want.

smootenloopers
07-14-2011, 12:13 PM

Because legally, DCL is not allowed to have 5 people booked in a 4 person capacity room, regardless of the age of each individual. It's not DCL, it is the government.

cyclenut
07-14-2011, 01:51 PM
... and the 4th child makes almost any vacation that much more expensive because you can't find a room that sleeps 6 just about anywhere ... it's the nature of the beast.

plus that 4th child means you can't travel in a regular car anymore either.

mmouse37
07-14-2011, 01:59 PM
I feel your pain but being annoyed won't help.....it is what it is. We also have 3 children and that is the way it is on any cruise line.

MJ

stsomewhere
07-14-2011, 03:54 PM
I feel your pain but being annoyed won't help.....it is what it is. We also have 3 children and that is the way it is on any cruise line.

MJ

Some of the older Carnival ships can sleep 5 in an inside room. There is trundle that pulls out.

TonytheWop
07-14-2011, 04:21 PM
Welcome to the world of Family of 5 !:banana:
Any vacation or recreation activity is more expensive since family packages and family accomodations cater to 2 adults + 2 kids. :headache:

NancyIL
07-14-2011, 05:58 PM
Any vacation or recreation activity is more expensive since family packages and family accomodations cater to 2 adults + 2 kids. :headache:

We stayed off-site at WDW rather than stay at Dixie Landings (years ago) or at a deluxe for my family of 5.

Maryrn11168
07-14-2011, 06:30 PM
Another perk of the famliy of 5 is someone will eventually have to ride on rides by themselves, because you have to sit 2 x 2 on most rides.

Disney is one of the few cruise lines that has any cabins that sleep 5. I was thrilled when the Dream reservations started and found porthole rooms that sleep 5!

5forDis
07-14-2011, 06:37 PM

Absolutely...this is how it is. Renting a regular car? Not happening with 3 kids... A regular hotel room? Nope. We were trying to figure out how we had been able to afford Disney twice or three times a year before the youngest child arrived---that is the answer: 3rd child significantly adds to vacation cost (much more so than 1 to 2). Even buying that 5th plane ticket/park ticket has pushed us to decide not to make an extra trip.

Congratulations on the baby!!! We love having 3 kids...would have loved a 4th if it had happened. Enjoy your cruise :)

pixarmom
07-14-2011, 06:47 PM
Welcome!! I know exactly what you mean, but that's one of the reasons we love Disney. While a family of five certainly costs more and limits options a bit, at least Disney gives us the option of getting one room at many WDW deluxes, DL and on DCL. Most of the rest of the world requires us to either book a super-expensive suite with more room than we need, or two rooms! Now if Disney's Aulani could just get on board with the regular-room-for-a-family-of-five, I'll be thrilled!

zoom8942
07-14-2011, 07:31 PM
We stayed off-site at WDW rather than stay at Dixie Landings (years ago) or at a deluxe for my family of 5.

we also stay off site, or fort wilderness cabins( 4 kids and usually a couple friends) A suggestion for the cruise, maybe you could talk some grandparents or some close friends with 1 kid or less(lol) to go along and put extra child on that ressie. We go with extended family, and we just put the kids(on paper anyway) in rooms that dont have as many people. We pay for them, but only have to get the 1 cheaper room.

hrhdhd
07-14-2011, 08:37 PM
Renting a regular car? Not happening with 3 kids...

Huh. I wonder why my two brothers and I were always tossed in the back of the Plymouth Horizon for road trips. ;)

We also survived car trips without our own cupholders and DVD players. Car bingo and a cooler of homemade stuff to eat at the rest stop was it. Ah, the good old days . . .

Makayna
07-14-2011, 09:07 PM
I thought there were some Cat 8's that sleep 5. Am I wrong?! :confused:

MissDaisyofTexas
07-14-2011, 09:33 PM
Tell me about it! We are a family of 5 now (when I originally started planning our cruise we were just 4) and the price certainly jumps up. The Dream has category 8's that are cheaper, the classic ships do not have that lower category that fits 5.

Oh, and congratulations! :)

rillsung
07-15-2011, 11:54 AM
Absolutely...this is how it is. Renting a regular car? Not happening with 3 kids... A regular hotel room? Nope. We were trying to figure out how we had been able to afford Disney twice or three times a year before the youngest child arrived---that is the answer: 3rd child significantly adds to vacation cost (much more so than 1 to 2). Even buying that 5th plane ticket/park ticket has pushed us to decide not to make an extra trip.

Congratulations on the baby!!! We love having 3 kids...would have loved a 4th if it had happened. Enjoy your cruise :)

LOL we're stopping after 3!

Huh. I wonder why my two brothers and I were always tossed in the back of the Plymouth Horizon for road trips. ;)

We also survived car trips without our own cupholders and DVD players. Car bingo and a cooler of homemade stuff to eat at the rest stop was it. Ah, the good old days . . .

The problem with cars is they all will have carseats... I didn't even think of renting cars though! :scared1:

I thought there were some Cat 8's that sleep 5. Am I wrong?! :confused:

Maybe they're not available anymore? All that the Wonder has right now for our cruises is 4E

Tell me about it! We are a family of 5 now (when I originally started planning our cruise we were just 4) and the price certainly jumps up. The Dream has category 8's that are cheaper, the classic ships do not have that lower category that fits 5.

Oh, and congratulations! :)

dismom73
07-15-2011, 12:38 PM
We are also a family of 5, and yes it is much more expensive. However, we are happy to have discovered DCL because there is something for everyone. :thumbsup2 My DD's are going to be 17, 12 and 7 on our upcoming cruise (4th DCL) and they all three LOVE DCL. We did one cruise as a family of 5 on Carnival and it was a disaster. We got a cabin that slept 5, picture the size of a DCL cabin, now take away the split bath and take away the seating area, and take away all the storage space, and that's what we were crammed into for 7 nights. So, we have gone from cruising once a year to cruising every other year. We also have found that it's usually less expensive to do 2 connecting cabins that it is do the ones that sleep 5, it's more comfortable too.

Disney Dreams
07-15-2011, 03:38 PM
I'm just going to offer an alternate perspective to your "problem." What a gift to even have three children which create the dilemma.

And how wonderful that you can take a family of five on a cruise.

While I understand the extra cost, imo, you have four wonderful reasons to be thankful, not annoyed. :goodvibes

Just another view,
Dreams

Makayna
07-15-2011, 04:54 PM
Maybe they're not available anymore? All that the Wonder has right now for our cruises is 4E

Apparently, they're only on the Dream and Fantasy, which are newer ships, and therefore more expensive anyways. But, I think that even a Cat 8 on a newer ship is STILL less expensive than a Cat 4 on an older ship.

Now since you mention the Wonder, that makes me think that you're probably on the West Coast, and traveling cross country just to stay in a Cat 8 on a newer ship doesn't make any sense, because you'd spend more money on the transportation getting there than you would on the Cat 4 room. But in case you are ever wanting to go to Port Canaveral to do your cruising, you might consider going on the Dream or Fantasy so that you can take advantage of the cheaper rooms. ;)

princesskayla
07-16-2011, 05:03 AM
You need to fit your sailing schedule around Kids Sail Free offers. It is still a heafty expense but it is the cheapest way to go with 3 kiddos. (Belive me, I have priced every option)

This is one of the biggest reasons I don't want to have a fourth kid - I won't be able to afford as many Disney trips! :rotfl2:

klcason
07-16-2011, 06:20 AM
Disney does have all of those connecting rooms though. We are only a family of 4 but have always done 2 connecting lower cat rooms. For most cruises that has been cheaper than putting us all in one room anyway. We love the space, especially for the longer crusies! Can't beat 2 bathrooms!!!

Kayla

pdwimmer
07-16-2011, 06:28 AM
I second the motion on the suggestion for family to come with. We booked the Roy Suite for next year and we are a family of 6. Who would have guess such a HUGE room will only accommodate 5. Really? So the grand parents booked the adjoining oceanview so we were able to throw the last child on their reservation. But most likely all the kids will sleep in our room. Heck, we may give the suite to the grand parents and sleep in their room for some peace and quiet. Good luck!!!

rillsung
07-19-2011, 03:35 PM
I'm just going to offer an alternate perspective to your "problem." What a gift to even have three children which create the dilemma.

And how wonderful that you can take a family of five on a cruise.

While I understand the extra cost, imo, you have four wonderful reasons to be thankful, not annoyed. :goodvibes

Just another view,
Dreams

:thumbsup2 We are absolutely glad we will have a 3rd to brainwash- I mean expose to Disney :) Hopefully we get a boy this time though! I won't mention how we have to cancel our first trip to our home DVC resort, the boardwalk, over Christmas or that I'll be about 6mo pregnant when we go to Disneyland in October LOL.

Apparently, they're only on the Dream and Fantasy, which are newer ships, and therefore more expensive anyways. But, I think that even a Cat 8 on a newer ship is STILL less expensive than a Cat 4 on an older ship.

Now since you mention the Wonder, that makes me think that you're probably on the West Coast, and traveling cross country just to stay in a Cat 8 on a newer ship doesn't make any sense, because you'd spend more money on the transportation getting there than you would on the Cat 4 room. But in case you are ever wanting to go to Port Canaveral to do your cruising, you might consider going on the Dream or Fantasy so that you can take advantage of the cheaper rooms. ;)

We are basicly smack in the middle so it's a nice flight in either direction. Before kids we were annual passholders at both Disneyland and Disney World! That's just not an option anymore since flights have gotten so expensive! We are still AP at WDW but haven't been to Disneyland in 4 years :scared1: We chose this cruise because of the length and itenerary. The one (actually 2, back to back because 1 week wasn't long enough) we chose is over DH's 40th birthday. The only other cruise we have ever done was the 15 night Panama Canal Repo and we LOVED it! Our oldest DD was 19 mo and now will be 5.5.

sftnslky
07-19-2011, 04:18 PM
... and the 4th child makes almost any vacation that much more expensive because you can't find a room that sleeps 6 just about anywhere ... it's the nature of the beast.

plus that 4th child means you can't travel in a regular car anymore either.

I had to LOL :rotfl2: we run into this problem CONSTANTLY. I drive a Yukon XL [seats 8] MUST always book two cabins and two hotel rooms anytime we go anywhere, an if thats not enough we go through 4-5 gallons of milk and 3 boxes of cereal, and 12 rolls of toilet paper EACH week...among MANY, MANY, MANY other foods and household items. :laughing::laughing: And trust me with twin boys and 2 older girls we take a cruise to SAVE us money :rotfl::rotfl: The food bill alone would be as much as the cruise. I'm kidding of course, but a cruise really does save us money if we were to cost it all out seperately. And for the og poster you really will enjoy having the extra space the two cabins will give you...just remember to ask for connecting NOT adjoining :thumbsup2

NHdisneylover
07-19-2011, 04:45 PM
Disney does have all of those connecting rooms though. We are only a family of 4 but have always done 2 connecting lower cat rooms. For most cruises that has been cheaper than putting us all in one room anyway. We love the space, especially for the longer crusies! Can't beat 2 bathrooms!!!

Kayla

Yep--we are a family of four also and nearly always book 2 connecting rooms. We generally price it both ways (all 4 together or two seperate rooms of two) and it is generally $200 or less difference to have the 2 rooms. With on board credits for rebooking we often come out ahead splitting up:goodvibes

sjsjbrook
07-19-2011, 09:38 PM
:wave: Yep 4 children here, It means 2 rooms in every hotel, and cruise ship. except GWL which has rooms for 8 :)

Definately more expensive to travel, but.... we keep going.

I wish they would make rooms for the larger family.

sftnslky
07-20-2011, 08:55 PM
:wave: Yep 4 children here, It means 2 rooms in every hotel, and cruise ship. except GWL which has rooms for 8 :)

AMEN!! :thumbsup2

rillsung
07-25-2011, 11:12 PM
Sounds like we need to stop at 4 kids!!

GatorMomInNC
07-26-2011, 12:45 AM
Now I know why we camped so much as a kid - I was one of 5 children.

I was thinking, if you had friends going on the cruise with you, and they didn't have a max capacity room, could you link your ressies and "put" one of your kids on their ressie, but when you get on the ship have your family just all share one room?

cyclenut
07-26-2011, 02:15 AM
I had to LOL :rotfl2: we run into this problem CONSTANTLY. I drive a Yukon XL [seats 8] MUST always book two cabins and two hotel rooms anytime we go anywhere, an if thats not enough we go through 4-5 gallons of milk and 3 boxes of cereal, and 12 rolls of toilet paper EACH week...among MANY, MANY, MANY other foods and household items. :laughing::laughing: And trust me with twin boys and 2 older girls we take a cruise to SAVE us money :rotfl::rotfl: The food bill alone would be as much as the cruise. I'm kidding of course, but a cruise really does save us money if we were to cost it all out seperately. And for the og poster you really will enjoy having the extra space the two cabins will give you...just remember to ask for connecting NOT adjoining :thumbsup2

Sounds like us! Home delivery of 5 gallons of milk every week.

Yes ... camping is a wonderful thing.

We haven't been able to travel much though. Partly due to the expense, but also due to schedules. Our upcoming DCL aboard the Wonder will probably be our last as a family. When we get back from our cruise, our oldest is moving out of the house. They grow up too fast. Yes, it has been a pain sometimes but it has been a very wonderful pain. One my DW and I wouldn't trade for anything!

ame
07-26-2011, 05:04 AM

same here.

TandLMommy28
07-26-2011, 08:27 AM
For those complaining about fitting 3 car seats in a regular car, it can be done. If you use one Sunshine Kids Radian car seat, they are much more narrow. I can squeeze one in between my MASSIVE Britax car seats in my Taurus. They are also rated as highly as britax for safety, so you aren't sacrificing anything in that regard. I only have two kids but I babysit part time and at first I thought I'd need a new car but then I realized that with that seat, I could keep my car.

As for the rooms, I agree on getting family members to go. My mom is coming with us anyway, and if we were to decide to have another child, we'd just add the child to mom's room. That's what my aunt with 5 children does at WDW,too. All the inlaws go (about 35 of them!) and they add children to other room ressies as necessary so that each room has 4. Works out for everyone and the cousins like to sleep over together anyway.

rillsung
08-02-2011, 06:51 PM
Now I know why we camped so much as a kid - I was one of 5 children.

I was thinking, if you had friends going on the cruise with you, and they didn't have a max capacity room, could you link your ressies and "put" one of your kids on their ressie, but when you get on the ship have your family just all share one room?

Yes that is the plan. My MIL and FIL are booked on the cruise as well and they have room for 1 more in their room. I booked the baby in their room and we'll just all stay in ours. They're so little having all of us in 1 room is really not going to be an issue.

Sounds like we need to stop at 4 kids!!

I meant stop after 3 kids!!

For those complaining about fitting 3 car seats in a regular car, it can be done. If you use one Sunshine Kids Radian car seat, they are much more narrow. I can squeeze one in between my MASSIVE Britax car seats in my Taurus. They are also rated as highly as britax for safety, so you aren't sacrificing anything in that regard. I only have two kids but I babysit part time and at first I thought I'd need a new car but then I realized that with that seat, I could keep my car.

I had a friend recommend a Sunshine Kids seat for us as well. We need to look into it hehe.

Wests4Disney
08-03-2011, 12:28 AM
I understand your dillema OP. Imagine us, having booked our 2011 cruise on a cruise in 2009, 4 people (DH, DS-15, DD-13, and Me), then the magic of Disney and we came up pregnant (8 year post-vasectomy baby). We are now traveling with a 1 year old along with our older 2 kids on our MR Cruise in Nov. Definitely a big surprise, luckily far enough in advance we were able to get connecting inside staterooms (as this was the best deal since we were already traveling with family).

I feel your pain, but wouldn't trade the blessings of the last year for anything. Good luck to you and definitely price out the different options.

Clare
08-03-2011, 12:50 AM

Our youngest (a 1yo) is staying home with Grandma and Grandpa when we take his sisters on our 3-night cruise in November, mostly for that very reason. We booked an inside stateroom (Category 11A), because this is the last trip we won't be taking all three kids, so it's the last trip we can do it! (Plus, without him along, we won't be going back to the room for naps and early bedtimes, so we won't be there nearly as much.)

Wachsdds
08-04-2011, 01:31 PM
I long ago gave up on the smaller cars, cheaper flying and single room cruising. We are a family of 7(My wife and I, as well as, DS(11), DS(9), DS(6), DD(4) and DD(1)). We actually vacation about 3 times a year with the kids. So vacations are minivans or even passenger vans, we take up more than the row on the airplane or fill it on larger planes, and gratuities for the staff! Now there are a few great things about it besides of course our kids, number one thing is the parent switch pass at the parks. I don't think we have waited more than 10 minutes for a ride... ever. The kids make out like bandits riding the rides over, and over, and over again. Also taking the cruise becomes a bargain. Just think what the restaurant checks would be! At least on the ships that is not a problem and better yet somebody else gets to clean up from the meal!!!! As far as 2 rooms goes, THANK G-D! My wife and I have a place to sleep quietly without kids in our bed, let alone room!

So here comes Alaska in a few weeks and looking forward to it!

bobbiwoz
08-04-2011, 02:10 PM
Yes, we always book 2 cabins for DS/DDiLs family and it's not an easy pill to swallow! When kids sailed free, we only got one freebie because there needs to be 2 adults in each room.

Mummum
08-04-2011, 06:50 PM
This is for future non-Disney travel, but try searching "travel for large families". Several websites list hotels that sleep 5 - 8 people. This has been helpful when we were staying somewhere for 1 or 2 nights and didn't need the extra room.

rillsung
08-05-2011, 12:37 AM
Our youngest (a 1yo) is staying home with Grandma and Grandpa when we take his sisters on our 3-night cruise in November, mostly for that very reason. We booked an inside stateroom (Category 11A), because this is the last trip we won't be taking all three kids, so it's the last trip we can do it! (Plus, without him along, we won't be going back to the room for naps and early bedtimes, so we won't be there nearly as much.)

The baby will be 4mo old and nursing so grandma isn't an option hehe. We really enjoy taking our kids and seeing their reactions to all the new stimuli (though a 4mo old probably won't have much since there will be a lot of sleeping going on!) We're also doing 2 weeks on the ship, B2B and possible a few days on either end.

I long ago gave up on the smaller cars, cheaper flying and single room cruising. We are a family of 7(My wife and I, as well as, DS(11), DS(9), DS(6), DD(4) and DD(1)). We actually vacation about 3 times a year with the kids. So vacations are minivans or even passenger vans, we take up more than the row on the airplane or fill it on larger planes, and gratuities for the staff! Now there are a few great things about it besides of course our kids, number one thing is the parent switch pass at the parks. I don't think we have waited more than 10 minutes for a ride... ever. The kids make out like bandits riding the rides over, and over, and over again. Also taking the cruise becomes a bargain. Just think what the restaurant checks would be! At least on the ships that is not a problem and better yet somebody else gets to clean up from the meal!!!! As far as 2 rooms goes, THANK G-D! My wife and I have a place to sleep quietly without kids in our bed, let alone room!

So here comes Alaska in a few weeks and looking forward to it!

We're doing that next year!

This is for future non-Disney travel, but try searching "travel for large families". Several websites list hotels that sleep 5 - 8 people. This has been helpful when we were staying somewhere for 1 or 2 nights and didn't need the extra room.

Thanks for the tip! I'll have to look into that.

Clare
08-05-2011, 01:29 AM
The baby will be 4mo old and nursing so grandma isn't an option hehe. We really enjoy taking our kids and seeing their reactions to all the new stimuli (though a 4mo old probably won't have much since there will be a lot of sleeping going on!) We're also doing 2 weeks on the ship, B2B and possible a few days on either end.

It wouldn't have been an option for me either when my babies were that young, especially not for the amount of time you will be gone (lucky you!!). I nursed all 3 of my kids for the first year, so I totally understand where you are coming from!

Our 2nd and 3rd babies both made trips to WDW around their 4-5 month birthdays, and they were amazing travelers due to all the sleeping going on! They were easier in some ways than their older siblings who were old enough to have opinions about things!

In many ways we are looking forward to a trip with no sippy cups, strollers or diapers........it will be our first family trip with only "big kids" since we became parents seven years ago. In other ways, both my DH and I are are fearful that we will miss our sweet son so much we'll feel guilty the whole trip for leaving him behind!

Either way, he will have his chance on DCL! Next time, he'll be joining in the fun!

Have a wonderful cruise and congratulations on your new addition! Babies are the best!

wheelerkidz3
08-05-2011, 08:40 AM

collin was 4 months old for his first cruise too terri! you are going to have so much fun!! congrats again!