PDA

View Full Version : John and Kevin's California / Hawaiian (working) Vacation News

Pages : [1] 2

DisneyKevin
07-07-2011, 12:52 AM
Hi Folks,

John and I were invited to California to meet with ABD.

They have some terrific stuff planned and we think you will be very excited.

We have also been invited to take a "hard hat" tour of Aulani. We will be meeting with folks at the new resort on Monday and we will have details coming your way.

So far, we have had dinner at Catal, gone to the Magic Kingdom to see the Mary Blair exhibit at the Main Street Gallery, had the special World of Color Dinner package at Ariel's Grotto and ridden the new Little Mermaid ride.

We also had our afternoon meeting with the folks from ABD.

We've been here approximately 32 hours.

I will try to keep you updated with details as they happen.....

Time for bed. Early day tomorrow.

nomie74
07-07-2011, 12:58 AM
Have fun. Can't wait to hear about Hawaii!

MelissaFromRI
07-07-2011, 01:11 AM
Sounds AMAZING !!! :cloud9: Have fun !!!

ImTooExcitedToSleep
07-07-2011, 01:24 AM
Have a great time!

simonkodousek
07-07-2011, 01:30 AM
How come we never heard about this before?! I'M SO JEALOUS!!! :)

PryncessChrysty
07-07-2011, 02:00 AM
Sounds super fun & spontaneous - that's one of the few perks of DL, it's much easier to be spontaneous here. :thumbsup2

We just did AG for WoC this past Sunday to catch the 4th of July pre-show and also spent quite a bit of time in the Gallery - it's a great place to cool down and soak in the atmosphere. I *love* her artwork!

Have a safe trip and I hope you have a great time in Hawaii!! Can't wait to hear about it all on the show. :goodvibes

paulasillars
07-07-2011, 02:16 AM
I can't wait to hear about Aulani - it looks like it will be gorgeous!

starwood
07-07-2011, 04:22 AM
I love Hawaii. Have a great time. Can't wait to hear about it.

Mouse Skywalker
07-07-2011, 04:51 AM
Hi Folks,

John and I were invited to California to meet with ABD.

They have some terrific stuff planned and we think you will be very excited.

We have also been invited to take a "hard hat" tour of Aulani. We will be meeting with folks at the new resort on Monday and we will have details coming your way.

So far, we have had dinner at Catal, gone to the Magic Kingdom to see the Mary Blair exhibit at the Main Street Gallery, had the special World of Color Dinner package at Ariel's Grotto and ridden the new Little Mermaid ride.

We also had our afternoon meeting with the folks from ABD.

We've been here approximately 32 hours.

I will try to keep you updated with details as they happen.....

Time for bed. Early day tomorrow.Whoa, very cool. Thanks for sharing. I'm curious to hear your impressions of Aulani. Especially since it's getting very close to the grand opening. However, I'm most interested in hearing what how the new Mary Blair exhibit is at the Main Street Gallery. I think that sounds wonderful! Have a great trip.

Kimberle
07-07-2011, 05:24 AM
How exciting! Hope you can have some fun as well as business!:wizard:

mikelan6
07-07-2011, 05:40 AM
You boys lead such a tough life. Thanks for taking one for the team. :goodvibes

Have a great time boys. Enjoy and don't work too hard.

gretchenohar@hotmail
07-07-2011, 05:45 AM
Can't wait to hear all about it! Have fun!!!

*NikkiBell*
07-07-2011, 06:33 AM
Have a fabulous time! I'm eager to hear how the Mary Blair exhibit was as I'm planning on visiting it later this month. :)

Cruz Family
07-07-2011, 06:40 AM
Whoa, very cool. Thanks for sharing. I'm curious to hear your impressions of Aulani. Especially since it's getting very close to the grand opening. However, I'm most interested in hearing what how the new Mary Blair exhibit is at the Main Street Gallery. I think that sounds wonderful! Have a great trip.

Hi Dave, we just got back from our first trip to Disneyland. I thought the Mary Blair exhibit was great, but I think it was only because I am a big fan of her work. Had I not been, it probably would have been no big deal.

ninecrayons
07-07-2011, 07:01 AM
Have a great time! Sounds like it is going to be an amazing and busy trip!

I'm really curious to hear about Aulani. DH has been talking about going to Hawaii and that might be nice. I'm excited to hear/see what ABD has in the works! :yay:

lugnut33
07-07-2011, 07:44 AM
Don't forget to eat some churros while you are out there, they are better at Disneyland than they are at Disney World.

roomthreeseventeen
07-07-2011, 08:19 AM
Hope you are having an amazing time. I may have some news, too, tomorrow.... :)

Mouse Skywalker
07-07-2011, 08:24 AM
Hi Dave, we just got back from our first trip to Disneyland. I thought the Mary Blair exhibit was great, but I think it was only because I am a big fan of her work. Had I not been, it probably would have been no big deal.Thanks Melissa. I remember when I interviewed Disney Imagineer and Disneyland Art Director Kim Irvine she talked about working with Mary Blair and designing the new exhibit.

DIS Unplugged: Imagineer Kim Irvine's Child Eye Stewardship of Disneyland (http://www.disunplugged.com/2011/03/16/imagineer-kim-irvines-child-eye-stewardship-of-disneyland/)

I can't wait to see it, and plan on visiting when I'm out for the D23 Expo in August.

Hope you are having an amazing time. I may have some news, too, tomorrow.... :)Well, that's rather cryptic now isn't it???

roomthreeseventeen
07-07-2011, 08:26 AM
Dave, hint: it involves 13.1 miles in Orlando in October. :)

Mouse Skywalker
07-07-2011, 08:27 AM
Dave, hint: it involves 13.1 miles in Orlando in October. :)Ooooooohhhh, got it. Your leg must be getting much better!

Jacksmom99
07-07-2011, 08:49 AM
I can't wait to hear about Aulani, either. Jack has chosen Hawaii for his HS graduation trip in 2017....He got the vacation planning bug from me for sure:thumbsup2 Thank goodness for DVC!

jcb
07-07-2011, 09:10 AM
Have fun and enjoy yourselves.

Don't let John get sun burned in Hawaii.:sunny:

Stinkerbe11
07-07-2011, 09:24 AM
Very jealous here! I just cancelled my 10th anniversary trip to Hawaii and relocated from southern Cali due to military orders:guilty:

I do hope the two of you find some time to relax while "working" so hard and please let me know if you need a stand-in in the future:goodvibes

skunkvette
07-07-2011, 09:32 AM
Hope you both have a great time!

Always love to hear exciting new ABD news, can't wait!

Stinkerbe11
07-07-2011, 09:34 AM
Very jealous here! I just cancelled my 10th anniversary trip to Hawaii and relocated from southern Cali due to military orders:guilty:

I do hope the two of you find some time to relax while "working" so hard and please let me know if you need a stand-in in the future:goodvibes

SamSam
07-07-2011, 09:36 AM
Have fun guys! Looking forward to hearing more. :goodvibes

Cotillard
07-07-2011, 09:42 AM
Can't wait to read more :wizard:

Halloweenqueen
07-07-2011, 10:10 AM
I can't wait to hear about Aulani! :thumbsup2

parrotheadlois
07-07-2011, 10:32 AM
We're very interested in Aulani too! maybe next year (fingers crossed). Can't wait to hear from someone's who's finally gonna be there in real live person!!

DisneyKevin
07-07-2011, 10:34 AM
Hi Folk,

8:00am here in southern California.

We thought we might get away from the Florida heat and humidity.

Wrong. We've been accused of bringing it with us.

Yup...it's hot and sticky.:sad2:

We are going to explore LA and maybe a beach today. Even considering a day trip to Catalina. Who knows?

Loved the Mary Blair exhibit. It's only a temporary exhibit and will change next month.....but if you are a fan of her work....it's wonderful to see a large group of it all together. We are going back into the park tomorrow and might go back again.

The Little Mermaid ride is CLASSIC, old school Disney Imagineering. Just a great Disney dark ride. With the continous loading, the line moves very fast.

This is the Disney quality I fell in love with. I don't want to oversell this. It's not Soarin....but it doesn't need to be. It's wonderful on it's own.

The ride is located in the building that used to house the movie (that no one wanted to see) about immigration to California.

This is much better use of the space.

What can I say about World of Color that hasn't been said?

It's spectacular.

Well....off to find breakfast and explore.

More later.

Mouse Skywalker
07-07-2011, 10:52 AM
Loved the Mary Blair exhibit. It's only a temporary exhibit and will change next month.....but if you are a fan of her work....it's wonderful to see a lrage group of it all together. We are going back into the park tomorrow and might go back again.Oooh, I hope it sticks around through the D23 Expo August 19-22.

We're all also very excited to ride the new Little Mermaid attraction - especially Maggie (DD13).

roomthreeseventeen
07-07-2011, 10:53 AM
*just discovered that Mary Blair is not Linda Blair*

DisneyKevin
07-07-2011, 11:20 AM

I just spit diet snapple all over the hotel bed.

Mouse Skywalker
07-07-2011, 11:22 AM

I just spit diet snapple all over the hotel bed.But was your head spinning when you spit it?

sayhello
07-07-2011, 11:29 AM
Hi Folk,

We are going to explore LA and maybe a beach today. Even considering a day trip to Catalina. Who knows?

Loved the Mary Blair exhibit. It's only a temporary exhibit and will change next month.....but if you are a fan of her work....it's wonderful to see a lrage group of it all together. We are going back into the park tomorrow and might go back again.

The Little Mermaid ride is CLASSIC, old school Disney Imagineering. Just a great Disney dark ride. With the continous loading, the line moves very fast.

This is the Disney quality I fell in love with. I don't want to oversell this. It's not Soarin....but it doesn't need to be. It's wonderful on it's own.

The ride is located in the building that used to house the movie (that no one wanted to see) about immigration to California.

It's spectacular.

More later.Kevin! So very excited for you and John! I can't wait to hear about Aulani. I've been planning to hopefully go to Hawaii next year, so I'm interested in the options!

Wow! It's hot and sticky in Southern California? That's pretty unusual for July!

You guys have a great trip!

*just discovered that Mary Blair is not Linda Blair*:lmao:

Sayhello

NancyIL
07-07-2011, 11:29 AM

Was that the movie narrated by Whoopi Goldberg? I liked it! :teeth:

I'll look forward to the Little Mermaid ride. Due to a really great airfare to Los Angeles, I'm going to Disneyland for 3 days at the end of September. :dance3:

I hope you and John will have a wonderful time in SoCal and Hawaii!

pal-mickey
07-07-2011, 11:32 AM
Kevin and John - hope you have a great trip! Can you see cars land? I can't wait to see that

ImTooExcitedToSleep
07-07-2011, 11:39 AM

Golden Dreams was the name of the attraction. And...slight clarification...it's in the same location, but not in the same building. The entire building was demolished except for the dome and the Mermaid attraction was built from the ground up.

Was that the movie narrated by Whoopi Goldberg? I liked it! :teeth:

Yep. It was a very nice (air conditioned) attraction.

sjsjbrook
07-07-2011, 12:02 PM
Can't wait to hear all about your trip.

And Hawaiii WOW WOW WOW.

I really hope you find some time to relax and enjoy yourselves. You totally deserve a nice quiet vacation.

:goodvibes

DisneyKevin
07-07-2011, 12:22 PM
Golden Dreams was the name of the attraction. And...slight clarification...it's in the same location, but not in the same building. The entire building was demolished except for the dome and the Mermaid attraction was built from the ground up.

Yep. It was a very nice (air conditioned) attraction.

Didn't know it was a new building, but that makes sense.

daneenm
07-07-2011, 12:31 PM
Sounds fun! Can't wait to hear about Aulani! Will you do a review of your WoC dinner at Ariel's?

DisneyKevin
07-07-2011, 12:34 PM
Sounds fun! Can't wait to hear about Aulani! Will you do a review of your WoC dinner at Ariel's?

We sure will!

WebmasterJohn
07-07-2011, 12:36 PM
Having a great time so far!!!!

Just a heads up - if you book your Aulani vacation through Dreams Unimited Travel I will have a very special gift for you. Not going to tell you what it is but I just remembered I had these and thought they would tie in wonderfully to Hawaii vacation!!!!!

https://www.dreamsunlimitedtravel.com/reservations/room-res-other.cfm

roomthreeseventeen
07-07-2011, 12:37 PM

Just a heads up - if you book your Aulani vacation through Dreams Unimited Travel I will have a very special gift for you. Not going to tell you what it is but I just remembered I had these and thought they would tie in wonderfully to Hawaii vacation!!!!!

John, is the present at all some kind of drug that would get my husband on a nine hour flight?

jcb
07-07-2011, 12:41 PM

Just a warning: John still has the used pineapple dole whip cup that Bob brought to the podcast.

hockeymomNS
07-07-2011, 12:52 PM
So this is where you are!!!!

Sounds like an awesome adventure.....boy the next few shows will be full of everyone's travel stories - can't wait.

BriarRosie
07-07-2011, 01:01 PM

So John, you're telling us that everyone who books a trip to Aulani is gonna get lei'd. Got it. ;)

Aburns8
07-07-2011, 01:15 PM
Have a great time! Can't wait to hear about everything.

mjaclyn
07-07-2011, 01:25 PM
I am SO envious that you saw the Mary Blair exhibit!! I am a HUGE fan of her work. I wish I lived closer to DLR so I could visit more often!

Have a great trip and make sure to let us know of all the great details!

Cherinva
07-07-2011, 02:39 PM
How wonderful...have a great time.....I guess that's why I got an out of office reply when I sent you two and email.

Can't wait to hear all about your adventures....

Mary Jo
07-07-2011, 03:02 PM
Sounds super fun & spontaneous - that's one of the few perks of DL, it's much easier to be spontaneous here. :thumbsup2

We just did AG for WoC this past Sunday to catch the 4th of July pre-show and also spent quite a bit of time in the Gallery - it's a great place to cool down and soak in the atmosphere. I *love* her artwork!

Have a safe trip and I hope you have a great time in Hawaii!! Can't wait to hear about it all on the show. :goodvibes

What Chrysty said! :flower:

HollyMac71
07-07-2011, 03:27 PM
Oh I am jealous! Hope you have fun on the working vacation and cannot wait for your updates!:thumbsup2

mjtm610
07-07-2011, 04:15 PM
I'm jealous! Can't wait to hear all the details!

*NikkiBell*
07-07-2011, 04:28 PM
Hi Folk,

Loved the Mary Blair exhibit. It's only a temporary exhibit and will change next month.....but if you are a fan of her work....it's wonderful to see a large group of it all together. We are going back into the park tomorrow and might go back again.

It's spectacular.

More later.

:thumbsup2

Just a warning: John still has the used pineapple dole whip cup that Bob brought to the podcast.

So John, you're telling us that everyone who books a trip to Aulani is gonna get lei'd. Got it. ;)

:rotfl:

OKW Lover
07-07-2011, 04:34 PM
Eagerly awaiting the next update. :surfweb:

:lmao:

chirurgeon
07-07-2011, 06:14 PM
I am so jealous. Must be such a hard part of the job. ;) Can't wait to hear about next year's ABD trips. Fingers crossed I can do the Backstage Magic tour with my Dreams Friends.

Kim

apurplebrat
07-07-2011, 06:25 PM
I can't wait to hear about Aulani. We are hoping to go next year :cool1:

DisneyKevin
07-07-2011, 07:15 PM
Went to Farmers Market today. Truly one of our. favorite places in LA. Always have a great time.

Most of you might not get this reference,,,, but to my Wednesday night chat buddies.

I found the store that sells the outrageously expensive sunglasses and let's just say that I've adopted a pair.

Thanks Visa!!!!

jodi90
07-07-2011, 07:24 PM
Have a great trip. Can't wait to hear all about it on the Podcast :cool1:

wdwscout
07-07-2011, 07:43 PM
What a cool "job" to have to do!

Very jealous. And so anxious to hear all about Aulani!!!!

It probably won't be until 2013 at the very earliest that we will get there. Maybe 2014. But we WILL get there!

NitroStitch
07-07-2011, 08:22 PM
Sooo excited about hearing everything you'll be reporting! I wish the Mary Blair exhibit would stay around long enough to see it on our ABD trip!

Have fun while working!

DrMomof3
07-07-2011, 08:31 PM
Kevin and John,
I am equal parts happy for you and incredibly jealous! I hope you enjoy every minute of your trip and appreciate hearing all about it so I can live vicariously.

Amanda

*NikkiBell*
07-07-2011, 08:35 PM
Went to Farmers Market today. Truly one of our. favorite places in LA. Always have a great time.

Most of you might not get this reference,,,, but to my Wednesday night chat buddies.

I found the store that sells the outrageously expensive sunglasses and let's just say that I've adopted a pair.

Thanks Visa!!!!

Are they purple like your other ones? :laughing:

SamSam
07-07-2011, 10:51 PM
Farmers Market sounds like a great place to visit. Do I remember correctly that it's close to Hollywood Blvd.? We'll be visiting kids/grandkids in Riverside later this summer and I think that it would be fun to go Farmers Market.
Enjoy your Working Trip.:goodvibes

*NikkiBell*
07-07-2011, 10:58 PM
I am really hoping to have a chance to visit the Farmers Market while out in Cali. I've looked at it online and it really looks like a fun place to be. :goodvibes

YellowMickeyPonchos
07-07-2011, 11:00 PM

We sure will!

So I guess this means you'll be a special guest on our Disneyland show?

:surfweb:

*NikkiBell*
07-07-2011, 11:03 PM
I'm reaaaaaaally hoping that Ariel's has stepped it up a notch since last summer when I did the WoC dinner package. The appetizer and dessert were fine, but the main entree was horrible. I was told that the regular chef was not in that night and the assistant was not yet used to the menu being that it was new. I loved the location though. Perfect and on the water!

NC Belle
07-08-2011, 12:37 AM

:rotfl: This reminds me of my e-mail that was read and answered by Kevin and John. (re: getting lei'd at the Poly)

Safe travels and enjoy your adventure!

Aloha

cannp123165
07-08-2011, 02:51 AM
Sounds like you are having a great time so far! :)

SaraMc
07-08-2011, 07:06 AM
I do hope that your having a wonderful time. I cant wait to hear more about it on the podcast!

sayhello
07-08-2011, 08:21 AM
Went to Farmers Market today. Truly one of our. favorite places in LA. Always have a great time.I haven't been to the Farmer's Market it YEARS! It is a great place! Glad you had fun.

Thanks Visa!!!!:scared1:

Will we be meeting them in September? :rotfl:

Sayhello

Mouse Skywalker
07-08-2011, 08:36 AM

Thanks Visa!!!!I still remember going to the LA Farmer's Market when we went on a family trip in 1980. I was in 6th grade, and even then I thought it was cool. We're planning on taking the whole family when we go out in August.

Disneygrl36
07-08-2011, 09:16 AM
Woo hoo more adventures to live vicariously through via the podcasters. :woohoo:

DisneyKevin
07-08-2011, 11:04 AM
I haven't been to the Farmer's Market it YEARS! It is a great place! Glad you had fun.

:scared1:

Will we be meeting them in September? :rotfl:

Sayhello

It's a very safe assumption.

John says I only need to wear them for 60 years to getr my money's worth.:laughing:

DisneyKevin
07-08-2011, 11:10 AM
Well, today is our last day in Disneyland.

Our plan is to wander around the parks and see the things we want to see.

Our only dining reservation is at club 33....so the rest of the day is up in the air.

Then we have to come back and pack.

We have to be up very early in order to drive to LAX, return a rental car, get through security and make an 8:00am flight to Honolulu.

The weather is HOT, sticky and hazy......kinda like Orlando.

More later.

DisneyKevin
07-08-2011, 11:10 AM
I forgot crowded.

Both parks are very crowded.

roomthreeseventeen
07-08-2011, 11:11 AM

Our only dining reservation is at club 33....so the rest of the day is up in the air.

I would like to be you when I grow up. :)

princessbride6205
07-08-2011, 01:35 PM
Thanks for all of the updates. Sounds like a wonderful, if whirlwind, trip so far!

DisneyKevin
07-08-2011, 04:01 PM
Lunch today at Blue Bayou.

We will probably review this, but my first reaction can be summed up in three words.

Dark

Expensive

Joyless.

Maybe something will happen to turn this around.

Mouse Skywalker
07-08-2011, 04:14 PM

We have to be up very early in order to drive to LAX, return a rental car, get through security and make an 8:00am flight to Honolulu.

More later.Hope Blue Bayou turns around. I may have to rethink my dinner reservation for there in August. I thought the kids would get a kick out of it, but it may not be worth it. Enjoy dinner at Club 33, and good luck with the flight tomorrow. It's not the start of Carmaggedon out there is it?

I would like to be you when I grow up. :)Why grow up? I try not to...

jpeka65844
07-08-2011, 04:20 PM
Why grow up? I try not to...

I have a friend who says "people don't grow up; they just learn how to behave in public."

:laughing:

wdwscout
07-08-2011, 05:10 PM
I have a friend who says "people don't grow up; they just learn how to behave in public."

That's my M.O.
Not gonna grow up- but I try to play an adult when necessary.

Have a safe flight to Honolulu!! Can't wait to hear about your adventures.

*NikkiBell*
07-08-2011, 05:30 PM

We will probably review this, but my first reaction can be summed up in three words.

Dark

Expensive

Joyless.

You couldn't have said it better. It's all about hype due to the location, but the food isn't the best. Personally, I prefer Ralph Brennen's and Cafe Orleans (pommes frites, mmmmm). As for the location, it's a nicely themed restaurant and yes, the boats for Pirates do go by (I had a table right by the water), but I honestly expected something a bit more "pirate-y." Maybe I built it up in my head too much.

Aburns8
07-08-2011, 06:33 PM
I heard the Blue Bayou is like that. But a review would be awesome to listen to!

PryncessChrysty
07-08-2011, 06:39 PM

Dark

Expensive

Joyless.

That's pretty much how I would sum it up too. It's very much like CRT at MK in that they rely solely on the location. If I really have a hankerin' for a Monte Cristo, we'll just go to Cafe Orleans where you can get the exact same sandwich/serving, but for less money! ANNNNNNND, you can the get yummy pommes frites w/remoulade at Cafe Orleans that they don't serve at Blue Bayou. Mmmmmmmm!!:thumbsup2

Paul in CT
07-08-2011, 07:25 PM

More later.

Kevin,

I hope that you and John have a chance to spend some time in Honolulu. We had the chance to stay at Hilton Hawaiian Village while visiting our daughter and son-in-law in August 2009. It was BEAUTIFUL! Right on the beach and within walking distance of several wonderful dining experiences. Our favorite was "House Without a Key" at the Halekulani where we celebrated our wedding anniversary. We are looking forward to hear of your experiences.
Have a safe and fun trip!

DisneyKevin
07-08-2011, 07:30 PM
The food was okay. Not great, but not horrible.

My lunch, which consisted of six ounces of salmon, au gratin potatoes, a small serving of green beans and a cup of "gumbo" (think mostly rice) was $36.95..

That's pretty outrageous.

And on top of it......it was pretty much total darkness inside.

The tables are black, so when I sat m camera down, I had to feel all ove the table to find it.

No light, no music, no smiles....just joyless.

Why isn't the soundtrack to Princess and the Frog playing in this place.

It's the perfect fit.

Paul in CT
07-08-2011, 07:34 PM

Dark

Expensive

Joyless.

Dark! You've got that right! I could barely read the menu when I ate there a few years back. Did not enjoy the Monte Cristo sandwich, but loved the POC ride that runs through it and the "French Quarter" area of DL.

TIGGERmetoo
07-08-2011, 07:35 PM
Kevin - Thanks for taking the time to post while you're on your trip. :thanks:

topolino
07-08-2011, 10:18 PM
I agree that Blue Bayou is dark and can get very crowded. It's also very expensive.

In spite of all this, for me,no trip to Disneyland is complete without a waterside table at Blue Bayou with a Monte Cristo.

The restaurant is inside of PoC at Disneyland for crying out loud. Because of that I'm willing to cut it some slack.

topolino
07-08-2011, 10:21 PM
Hope Blue Bayou turns around. I may have to rethink my dinner reservation for there in August. I thought the kids would get a kick out of it, but it may not be worth it. Enjoy dinner at Club 33, and good luck with the flight tomorrow. It's not the start of Carmaggedon out there is it?

Why grow up? I try not to...

I think Kevin would be the first to tell you that his opinion is just that, his opinon. Try places for yourself. Especially a place like Blue Bayou, which despite some negative reviews, needs to be experienced at least once.

Mrs. M. Mouse
07-08-2011, 10:52 PM
Oh that sounds soooo Fun! Can't wait to hear more!

BriarRosie
07-08-2011, 11:08 PM
The food was okay. Not great, but not horrible.

My lunch, which consisted of six ounces of salmon, au gratin potatoes, a small serving of green beans and a cup of "gumbo" (think mostly rice) was $36.95..

That's pretty outrageous.

:scared1: Damn right that's outrageous. That's why I wouldn't eat there. I did eat there once...back in 1996. I knew I wanted the Monte Cristo because that was the signature item there. I'm glad I tried it once, but I refuse to pay those prices for a lunch, not to mention dinner.

From what I've gathered, the Blue Bayou serves Boatwright's food at signature restaurant pricing. I think if anyone wants a Monte Cristo now, Cafe Orleans is a much better value. (Not that I wanted that sandwich more than once!)

This restaurant is probably more overhyped than Le Cellier. There are much better choices at DLR!

HawkeyeMickey77
07-08-2011, 11:24 PM
Can't wait to hear what you think of Aulani! We were in Hawaii this past January & rented a home in Ko'Olina. We found it to be an absolutely beautiful area! Nice that it's away from the hustle & bustle of Honolulu & Waikiki. The lagoons in at area are very family friendly too! What we were able to see of Aulani at that time looked to be pretty amazing. Looking forward to your reviews.

oc_tony
07-08-2011, 11:40 PM
Glad you had a good time out here in California. Enjoy your time in Hawaii. Thanks for all the updates.

DisneyKevin
07-09-2011, 02:14 AM
Had dinner this evening at Club 33.

To put things in perspective, my lunch entree at Blue Bayou was several dollars higher in price than my dinner entreat Club 33.

The differences?

At lunch I ate in the dark using my iPhone flashlight to see my food.

At dinner, I had a lovely table overlooking New Orleans Square and Fantasmic.

At lunch, we had a personality free waiter whose first words to u
s were "do you want something to drink?"

At dinner, we had a great waiter who inquired as to whether we had a good day in the parks. One of the servers remembered us from our ABD breakfast and came over to say hello. She remembered that I liked Diet Coke with lime.

And to top it off.....my lunch entree was $36.99 and my dinner entree was $32.00

paulasillars
07-09-2011, 04:22 AM
Have a fab time in Hawaii - we love it there!

topolino
07-09-2011, 06:56 AM
Had dinner this evening at Club 33.

To put things in perspective, my lunch entree at Blue Bayou was several dollars higher in price than my dinner entreat Club 33.

The differences?

At lunch I ate in the dark using my iPhone flashlight to see my food.

At dinner, I had a lovely table overlooking New Orleans Square and Fantasmic.

At lunch, we had a personality free waiter whose first words to u
s were "do you want something to drink?"

At dinner, we had a great waiter who inquired as to whether we had a good day in the parks. One of the servers remembered us from our ABD breakfast and came over to say hello. She remembered that I liked Diet Coke with lime.

And to top it off.....my lunch entree was $36.99 and my dinner entree was $32.00

But you are comparing Blue Bayou to one of the most exclusive restaurants in the country; one to which 99% of the population is denied access.

While the differences between your two experiences are striking, and you do a good job illustrating them, I don't think it's a fair comparison at all.

starwood
07-09-2011, 07:23 AM
I guess when you include the membership fee for Club 33 it would then be more expensive then Blue Bayou. I agree with your assessment of the food at Blue Bayou. We ate there a few years ago and I was not impressed with the food. I loved the atmosphere of being able to see the Pirates boats go by but not the food.

lugnut33
07-09-2011, 07:37 AM
Just as a comparison for pricing:

Coral Reef at Epcot: Salomn with Russian fingerling potatoes and wilted spinach, in a Dijon cream with black mustard seed $23.99

Chefs De France: Broiled salmon, tomato Bearnaise,ratatouille made with onions, zucchini, eggplant and bell peppers $27.95

California Grill: don't have a salomn dish but they do have Seared Atlantic Flounder - over pancetta, "tater tots", brussels sprouts, spiced crawfish, and sauce Americaine $36

Brown Derby: No salomn, but Brown Butter Almond-crusted Black Grouper - with Golden Beets, Roasted Celery Root, Leeks, and a Lobster Beurre Blanc $31.00

Narcoosee's: No salomn, but Crab-crusted Flounder - Crushed Fingerling Potatoes, Haricots Verts, and Meyer Lemon Sauce $35

Citrico's: No salomn, but Pan-Seared Red Snapper -Fregula pasta, little neck clams, rock shrimp in tomato and saffron sauce with olive oil crostini 36

Artist's Point: Cedar Plank Roasted Wild King Salmon - with Roasted Baby Fennel, Marble Potatoes, Pinot Noir Beurre Rouge, and Crispy Truffle Chips $37

safetymom
07-09-2011, 08:31 AM
I agree that Blue Bayou is dark and can get very crowded. It's also very expensive.

In spite of all this, for me,no trip to Disneyland is complete without a waterside table at Blue Bayou with a Monte Cristo.

The restaurant is inside of PoC at Disneyland for crying out loud. Because of that I'm willing to cut it some slack.

I would judge by the standard that I believe Kevin mentioned before. Could this restaurant stand alone outside a theme park?

I don't think it could. My daughter had the Monte Cristo and enjoyed it but my meal was totally bland. CM's weren't very nice either.

The atmosphere was great but that is all it has going for it.

topolino
07-09-2011, 08:41 AM
I would judge by the standard that I believe Kevin mentioned before. Could this restaurant stand alone outside a theme park?

I don't think it could. My daughter had the Monte Cristo and enjoyed it but my meal was totally bland. CM's weren't very nice either.

The atmosphere was great but that is all it has going for it.

For restaurants like Blue Bayou, Cinderella's Royal Table and Crystal Palace, it's about location, location, location.

Honestly, unless you're talking about a select few restaurants (California Grill, Jiko and a few others) there aren't too many restaurants at any Disney resort that could stand on their own. As popular as Boma is, for example, if it weren't in the lobby of Animal Kingdom Lodge, but instead in a strip mall in their home town, most people would drive by it without giving it a second thought.

People tend to hype up very average restaurants because they feature characters or are in great locations on Disney property. Blue Bayou is one of those restaurants.

DisneyKevin
07-09-2011, 09:05 AM
But you are comparing Blue Bayou to one of the most exclusive restaurants in the country; one to which 99% of the population is denied access.

While the differences between your two experiences are striking, and you do a good job illustrating them, I don't think it's a fair comparison
at all.

Sorry.... if you are charging more than "one of the most exclusive restaurants in the world" for an entree that has the same basic components, than you better have your act together.

Sitting in a too dark restaurant and dealing with less the friendly servers and paying top dollar isn't mitigated by location or the fact that I get to watch boatloads of sweaty, sunburned tourists float by.

Blue Bayou is dark, overpriced and joyless.

Spend your dining dollars elsewhere and ride Pirates. You will get the same view, just backwards and you only have to spend thirty seconds in this depressing atmosphere.

Hunnypaw
07-09-2011, 09:09 AM
Sorry.... if you are charging more than "one of the most exclusive restaurants in the world" for an entree that has the same basic components, than you better have your act together.

Sitting in a too dark restaurant and dealing with less the friendly servers and paying top dollar isn't mitigated by location or the fact that I get to watch boatloads of sweaty, sunburned tourists float by.

Blue Bayou is dark, overpriced and joyless.

Spend your dining dollars elsewhere and ride Pirates. You will get the same view, just backwards and you only have to spend thirty seconds in this depressing atmosphere.

Well said, Kevin! :thumbsup2

DisneyKevin
07-09-2011, 09:10 AM
I'm really not comparing the experience of Blue Bayou and Club 33.

I realize that not everyone can have this experience.

What I am saying is that most people would be highly annoyed to pay more at Mama Meltose than they did at Victoria and Alberts.

And rightfully so.

DisneyKevin
07-09-2011, 09:17 AM
Sitting in LAX waiting for our flight to Honolulu.

Hawaii here we come.

k5jmh
07-09-2011, 09:20 AM
Safe Travels!! You two have fun!!!

*NikkiBell*
07-09-2011, 09:37 AM
Have an AMAZING and RELAXING time!!! So jealous! :)

Tiggerly53
07-09-2011, 09:46 AM
Have a wonderful time, can't wait to hear your review.

GSLand
07-09-2011, 10:02 AM
So cool!! Wishing you a wonderful trip ... And will we hear about your trip in the podcast??

Dismom+two
07-09-2011, 11:35 AM
Kevin and John...Enjoy Hawaii!! I can't wait to hear all about it!!:goodvibes

BriarRosie
07-09-2011, 12:46 PM
For restaurants like Blue Bayou, Cinderella's Royal Table and Crystal Palace, it's about location, location, location.

Honestly, unless you're talking about a select few restaurants (California Grill, Jiko and a few others) there aren't too many restaurants at any Disney resort
that could stand on their own. As popular as Boma is, for example, if
it weren't in the lobby of Animal
Kingdom Lodge, but instead in a
strip mall in their home town, most
people would drive by it without
giving it a second thought.

People tend to hype up very
average restaurants because they
feature characters or are in great
locations on Disney property. Blue
Bayou is one of those
restaurants.

I understand what you're saying about paying a premium for location, but the MK restaurants you mentioned offer character interaction as part of the higher price.

I think a fair comparison should be San Angel Inn. You can eat lunch in the dark watching people in a boat ride float past. For a lot cheaper.

cannp123165
07-09-2011, 12:55 PM
Have an amazing time in Hawaii! :)

DisneyKevin
07-09-2011, 05:08 PM
Sitting at the car rental place in Honolulu waiting for our car.

BriarRosie
07-09-2011, 05:41 PM
Sitting at the car rental place in Honolulu waiting for our car.

Have a wonderful time. I bet it's more pleasant weather than either Orlando or Anaheim. ;)

wdwscout
07-09-2011, 05:42 PM
Hope you had a smooth flight.

Can't wait to hear about your Hawai'i adventures.

DisneyKevin
07-09-2011, 06:14 PM
Right outside our hotel is Hermes, Vuitton, Bulgari and an Apple store.

I think I'm gonna like it here.

BriarRosie
07-09-2011, 06:19 PM

Geez, why bother going to Paris. :rotfl2:

chirurgeon
07-09-2011, 06:19 PM

You're just saying that to make Pete jealous. And Walter thankful. lol

Kim

starwood
07-09-2011, 06:22 PM
Aloha.

Joshua_me
07-09-2011, 06:52 PM

Sounds delightful.

But, watch out for Vincent Price. He lives in a cave there and will tie you to a totem pole after you find that magic amulet on the beach.

Also, beware of pictures falling off the walls and black tarantulas in your hotel room.

:tilt:

topolino
07-09-2011, 06:57 PM

You must be staying on Kalakaua Ave, the Rodeo Dr. of Honolulu. To think, on my first trip to Hawai'i as a little kid in the early 80s, that strip was nothing but cheap souvenier shops and stores that sold knick knacks.

If you make it to the North Shore you have to get a shave ice at Matsumoto's.

Have a great time!

disney4dan
07-09-2011, 07:15 PM
Sounds delightful.

But, watch out for Vincent Price. He lives in a cave there and will tie you to a totem pole after you find that magic amulet on the beach.

Also, beware of pictures falling off the walls and black tarantulas in your hotel room.

I wonder how many will get the Brady Bunch reference? I loved that episode, got the entire Brady Bunch series on DVD in the fuzzy package for the holidays!

BriarRosie
07-09-2011, 09:49 PM
Sounds delightful.

TABOO! Don't touch! :scared1:

It's not the coral pin! :eek:

cruisinpenguin
07-09-2011, 10:29 PM

Hi Kevin & John! what is the time difference from Hawaii to Massachusetts - 3 or 4 hours? Can't wait to hear about Aulani!! :) Enjoy, Laurie

simonkodousek
07-09-2011, 10:48 PM
Have an amazing time in beautiful Hawaii! :)

I'm leaving for Atlanta in five hours, so it looks we're both going to be in great places! :)

~Simon

DisneyKevin
07-09-2011, 11:54 PM
Hi Kevin & John! what is the time difference from Hawaii to Massachusetts - 3 or 4 hours? Can't wait to hear about Aulani!! :) Enjoy, Laurie

It's a 6 hour difference.

It was three hours earlier in LA and there was a three hour change coming to Honolulu.

roomthreeseventeen
07-09-2011, 11:56 PM
Aloha! We just got back from seeing Tyne Daly in Master Class and then Sardi's. Just trying to combat your awesomeness. :)

miss missy
07-10-2011, 01:43 AM
Hi Kevin and John!

Bummed you didn't make the MA Cars event, but sooo happy your are in Hawaii!!! My lil sister lived there for 6 years... she just moved in Nov... to New Zealand!! I have never been to either, but she went to Hawaii for a visit to friends and never came back. She learned the culture and now you would think she is a native by her voice and knowledge ;) Enjoy your trip... but please come home after!!!!!!! :rotfl: :rotfl2:

WebmasterJohn
07-10-2011, 02:04 AM
Why does everything in Hawaii begin with a K and have an apostrophe in it?

Street names, people's names, restaurant names - it's all K'ah'loonie'lakki'poo or something.

We passed by the Apple store and I think I heard someone purchase a K'iPad......

starwood
07-10-2011, 05:17 AM

Street names, people's names, restaurant names - it's all K'ah'loonie'lakki'poo or something.

We passed by the Apple store and I think I heard someone purchase a K'iPad......

Their alphabet doesn't have as many letters as ours does. They only have 13 letters A, E, H, I K, L, M, N, O, P, U and W.

topolino
07-10-2011, 06:30 AM
Their alphabet doesn't have as many letters as ours does. They only have 13 letters A, E, H, I K, L, M, N, O, P, U and W.

Yes, and the apostrophe is called an 'okina.

How appropriate that the word 'okina has an 'okina in it :)

OKW Lover
07-10-2011, 06:37 AM

Well, you did go with 'Kevin'likki'poo

lttlmc3
07-10-2011, 06:49 AM
Kevin, I shall allow you to buy me something from the Hermes store. I'm just a giver that way. Carry on.

Dismom+two
07-10-2011, 08:22 AM
I have heard that all Hawaiian words end with a vowel.

Be sure to find one of those ABC stores...I understand they are hard to find!!:rotfl2:

topolino
07-10-2011, 08:39 AM
I have heard that all Hawaiian words end with a vowel.

Be sure to find one of those ABC stores...I understand they are hard to find!!:rotfl2:

ABC Stores are for locals only, tourists would never go there. :rotfl2:

DrMomof3
07-10-2011, 09:53 AM

This made me laugh out loud! I read it to my DH (who isn't a DISer at all!) and he thought it was hilarious. (We went to Hawaii for our honeymoon almost 11 years ago). Thanks for starting my day with a smile. :lmao:

Amanda

sayhello
07-10-2011, 10:58 AM

We passed by the Apple store and I think I heard someone purchase a K'iPad......:lmao:

I hope you & Kevin are having a FABULOUS time!!!! Eagerly awaiting your reports!

Sayhello

k5jmh
07-10-2011, 11:09 AM

Make sure Kevin does not spend all of the London/Paris money. :rotfl2:

DisneyKevin
07-10-2011, 11:35 AM
Please understand that we have not left the Honolulu / Wailki area yet, but everyone is in amazing shape, covered in tattoos, audibly tan and has not a single body hair anywhere except their head.

We blend very well.:rolleyes1:scared1:

Aburns8
07-10-2011, 11:45 AM
Please understand that we have not left the Honolulu / Wailki area yet, but everyone is in amazing shape, covered in tattoos, audibly tan and has not a single body hair anywhere except their head.

Just as much as I would as well :rotfl2:

OKW Lover
07-10-2011, 12:08 PM

Memo to self: Schedule full body waxing, tanning and hair replacement sessions before heading to Aulani. :scared1:

EDuke98080
07-10-2011, 12:15 PM

ROTFL. :laughing:

Dismom+two
07-10-2011, 12:16 PM
John, Kevin, have we told you? We all got together and signed you up to do the Tiki Torch Lighting Ceremony tonight. John, you will be blowing the conch shell and Kevin, you will be running and lighting the torches! :worship:

WebmasterJohn
07-10-2011, 12:54 PM

Every third store is an ABC store - I am not joking - every three-freakin' stores!!!!

I feel like the dog in UP - we are driving down the the street, talking about what we are going to do next, trying to find our destination, trying to pronounce the street names and in mid-sentence we both say "ABC" at the same time - kind of like "squirrel"!!

WebmasterJohn
07-10-2011, 12:55 PM
John, Kevin, have we told you? We all got together and signed you up to do the Tiki Torch Lighting Ceremony tonight. John, you will be blowing the conch shell and Kevin, you will be running and lighting the torches! :worship:

I don't know what any of this means but it sounds aweful....

Dismom+two
07-10-2011, 12:59 PM
Every third store is an ABC store - I am not joking - every three-freakin' stores!!!!

I feel like the dog in UP - we are driving down the the street, talking about what we are going to do next, trying to find our destination, trying to pronounce the street names and in mid-sentence we both say "ABC" at the same time - kind of like "squirrel"!!

Haha nice to hear nothing has changed there. We would come up to one and be like "OH look, an ABC Store....haven't seen one of these before!" :lmao:

I hope you're having a great time and making lots of memories that you will look back on in years from now!!:love:

Dismom+two
07-10-2011, 01:03 PM
I don't know what any of this means but it sounds aweful....

LOL in the evening they light the torches along the main road/beach there. A Hawaiian native runs and lights the torches you see there and another blows through a conch shell...keep your eyes open for it!

http://www.hawaiiweb.com/html/torch_lighting_ceremony.html

DisneyKevin
07-10-2011, 04:03 PM
Sitting at Pearl Harbor Historic site.

Lots of emotion. Reminds me of Ground Zero in NYC.

Accents from all over the world.

It's a sobering thought that this spot of paradise was not only the spot of such destruction but our entrance into WWII.

Never expected to be so moved by this place.

Hard to believe I'm actually here.

Wish I could tell my Dad about it.

Paul in CT
07-10-2011, 04:27 PM

It's a sobering thought that this spot of paradise was not only the spot of such destruction but our entrance into WWII.

As you say, it is a very moving experience, especially when you see the oil from the Arizona still bubbling to the surface and the names on the wall of all those who died in the attack.

Disneybridein2k3
07-10-2011, 04:28 PM

:hug:

NC Belle
07-10-2011, 04:36 PM
:grouphug: Kevin

starwood
07-10-2011, 05:07 PM
My father was stationed at Ford Island after the attack. I had the privilege of going their with him 25 years ago.

wdwscout
07-10-2011, 05:16 PM
:grouphug: I'm sure it was a powerful place. Someday I hope to be able to visit there. It will be a definite side trip if we make it to Aulani.

My aunt and uncle were stationed there during the attack on Pearl Harbor. Everyone in the family was fine, but shortly after that they shipped the wives and kids stateside for safety. After Pearl Harbor my aunt and the kids lived all over Europe with my uncle during the war. He was killed near the end of the war over Greece I believe - or maybe that's where my aunt was living at the time his plane was shot down. Her stories are fascinating. I know she went been back to see the memorial in the 70's.

sayhello
07-10-2011, 06:11 PM

We blend very well.:rolleyes1:scared1::love: I can just picture this!

I feel like the dog in UP - we are driving down the the street, talking about what we are going to do next, trying to find our destination, trying to pronounce the street names and in mid-sentence we both say "ABC" at the same time - kind of like "squirrel"!!What's an ABC store? :confused: I don't remember seeing those on Maui (although it has been a while since I was there).

Wish I could tell my Dad about it.:hug: Someday I hope to experience that. Thanks for your impressions.

Sayhello

topolino
07-10-2011, 06:34 PM
What's an ABC store? :confused: I don't remember seeing those on Maui (although it has been a while since I was there).

Sayhello

I can think of two ABC Stores on Maui, and I'm sure there are many, many more. The two I'm thinking of are in Kihei and Kahului (there are those K words again :lmao:)

ABC Stores are souvenier shops that cater to tourists. They sell every kitschy, tacky, cliched stereotyped Hawaiian souvenier that you can possibly imagine.

DisneyKevin
07-10-2011, 07:15 PM
We just finished visiting Pearl Harbor and we were looking for someplace for a really simple lunch.

We found a place called Anna Millers.....think Marie Calendars or Perkins.

We had a very "local" dinner last night and wee looking for a tuna melt or something similar.

I'm sitting here eating banana macadamia nut pancakes with coconut syrup.

These are INCREDIBLE.

paulasillars
07-10-2011, 08:20 PM

These are INCREDIBLE.

They sound amazing!

And I just realised you are almost in the same time zone as me - but nearly a full day behind :rotfl2:

simmons_m
07-10-2011, 10:47 PM
Enjoy the coffee.

sayhello
07-10-2011, 10:51 PM
I can think of two ABC Stores on Maui, and I'm sure there are many, many more. The two I'm thinking of are in Kihei and Kahului (there are those K words again :lmao:)

ABC Stores are souvenier shops that cater to tourists. They sell every kitschy, tacky, cliched stereotyped Hawaiian souvenier that you can possibly imagine.Hmmmm... I must have just blocked them out (not that that's a *bad* thing!)

Enjoy the coffee.OMG, Kona coffee! :faint: :hyper:

Sayhello

WebmasterJohn
07-11-2011, 01:39 AM
Did a dry run to Aulani today so we knew where we were going. What a beautiful location!!!!

We even popped into the preview center.

Took some pics and they can be seen here - http://www.dreamsunlimitedtravel.com/resorts/aulani/index.htm - we will be adding live as we walk around the resort tomorrow so bookmark that page and keep refreshing it!!!!

disneyholic family
07-11-2011, 03:20 AM
if only hawaii weren't so far away....

it really is paradise! i used to toy with the idea of living there....

starwood
07-11-2011, 04:04 AM
I had an aunt that wanted to go to Hawaii but wouldn't fly. She said she would go when they built a bridge LOL. When I was younger we went alot but we haven't been there in 20 years. Maybe it's time for another visit.

We also wanted to live there. Now our more realistic goal is Florida.

disneyholic family
07-11-2011, 04:18 AM
I had an aunt that wanted to go to Hawaii but wouldn't fly. She said she would go when they built a bridge LOL. When I was younger we went alot but we haven't been there in 20 years. Maybe it's time for another visit.

We also wanted to live there. Now our more realistic goal is Florida.

i used to look through the real estate ads.....incredibly high prices for even a hole in the ground :eek:
i wonder if the real estate bubble also burst in hawaii? or maybe it wasn't a bubble there....
oh well - in my next life....:goodvibes

sorcerer sergio
07-11-2011, 07:26 AM

That is too funny! K'Disney store too??

Have a great time, can't wait to hear more!

-Sergio

DVC Kathy
07-11-2011, 08:54 AM

ABC Stores are souvenier shops that cater to tourists. They sell every kitschy, tacky, cliched stereotyped Hawaiian souvenier that you can possibly imagine.

But they were a good source for Macadamia Nut Liqueuer..... I'm not sure they make it any more.

Pearl Harbor is an amazing experience - and I really shouldn't mention it in a post about ABC stores. You can take a bus there from Waikiki if you don't have a car.

topolino
07-11-2011, 08:58 AM
But they were a good source for Macadamia Nut Liqueuer..... I'm not sure they make it any more.

Pearl Harbor is an amazing experience - and I really shouldn't mention it in a post about ABC stores. You can take a bus there from Waikiki if you don't have a car.

Oh I agree. They are a good source for many things. They do sell tacky items, but many tourists, especially first timers, want to buy that stuff.

On my most recent visit to Hawai'i I found a really nice Aloha shirt at an ABC Store and subsequently wore it to a lu'au later in that same trip.

Disneygrl36
07-11-2011, 09:02 AM
Got the page bookmarked. Can't wait to see pics of Aulani.
You guys are so funny with your updates. Glad to hear you are having a good time. I have been to Maui, Kauai, Oahu & Molokai. Just love Hawaii & need to go back since DH has never been!

*NikkiBell*
07-11-2011, 09:20 AM
I'd give anything to be on that beach right now! Just beautiful! Enjoy it boys!!! :thumbsup2

Kristina
07-11-2011, 09:56 AM
Oooh now I want to visit Hawaii so badly! What a wonderful trip, first CA and Disneyland and now Hawaii :thumbsup2! Exciting! I'm really looking forward to the next podcast and hearing all about your trip :goodvibes!

Kristina
07-11-2011, 10:02 AM
:grouphug: I'm sure it was a powerful place. Someday I hope to be able to visit there. It will be a definite side trip if we make it to Aulani.

My aunt and uncle were stationed there during the attack on Pearl Harbor. Everyone in the family was fine, but shortly after that they shipped the wives and kids stateside for safety. After Pearl Harbor my aunt and the kids lived all over Europe with my uncle during the war. He was killed near the end of the war over Greece I believe - or maybe that's where my aunt was living at the time his plane was shot down. Her stories are fascinating. I know she went been back to see the memorial in the 70's.

God bless your uncle, and his family who sacrificed their time with him while he fought and ultimately paid the highest price. You must be very proud. If I ever do get to Hawaii and I really hope I do, I will certainly visit the site of Pearl Harbor.

DWGal210
07-11-2011, 11:09 AM
Have a great time!!!! Sounds amazing!

Puffpatty
07-11-2011, 11:10 AM
Hey guys I hope you two are having a blast in my favorite place in the world (besides WDW, of course)....

Of course you know I have some shopping tips :thumbsup2

If you have a Costco card and a car, RUN, don't walk, there. They have coffee roasting machines in the one in Honolulu and you can get Kona coffee cheap (well, at least less than standard souvenier spots! Plus it's nice to be able to walk around the store and see how the locals eat...pick up a few things here and there...(we were there during their '09 holiday gift season so everything was packaged up nicely too). They also carry macadamia chocolates cheaper than the ABC stores and in larger quantities!

Also, remember you can actually pack pineapples in your checked bags - they do NOT have to be purchased at the airport and aren't the "declarable" type of fruit. Thanks to the agricultural inspectors @HNL for the money saving tip. Most groceries sell them for less than $3-$4 each and maui golds are awesome!!!

Enjoy the macadamia nut pancakes!!! There is nothing like it...we bought a bag of the nuts from costco in HNL and then made pancakes at home...stretched out our Hawaiian experience when paired with coconut syrup. If you like granola, you might enjoy the Anahola granola, made in the islands as well. It's super tasty...

Thanks for the updates!

Halloweenqueen
07-11-2011, 11:46 AM
Oahu is such a beautiful island! Funny thing, I don't think of Ko Olina as one of the best places. I understand why Disney built there....calm waters and allowable building site, but I hate that it's on a man made lagoon.

I don't know if you have a car, but head to Lanikai if you want to see one of the world's most beautiful beaches. We always stay there when we go to Oahu. :)

TXYankee
07-11-2011, 11:53 AM

A little info on the K's!

The Hawaiian language was an oral tradition. The Hawaiian alphabet (piapa), was written by 19th century missionaries. The alphabet contains 12 letters: 5 vowels (a, e, i, o, u) and 7 consonants (h, k, l, m, n, p, w). To simplify pronunciation, sound consonants as in English and break up words so they are easy to say e.g., Waianapanapa sounds like Wai-a-napa-napa

JERME81
07-11-2011, 11:53 AM
Kevin,

I have never been to Oahu but I was just in Maui in May. You really need to see that island, its amazing! My partner and I stayed at the Hyatt Regency.

The food in Hawaii is some of the best food I have ever had. I'm not a huge seafood/fish eater but I have to say that I probably ate more seafood in 9 days than I have in my entire life. Make sure you try a traditional Hawaiian luch called a mixed plate.....so delicious!

I'm so excited to hear about the new resort and see pictures. We are new DVC members and were thinking about using our points to stay there someday.

Keep up the good work and try to relax some....you are in paradise!

DisneyKevin
07-11-2011, 01:42 PM
Today is our meeting at Aulani.

We are on our way.

More later.

k5jmh
07-11-2011, 02:14 PM
Have fun!!!

cannp123165
07-11-2011, 02:24 PM
Have a good time! :)

daneenm
07-11-2011, 02:24 PM
We just finished visiting Pearl Harbor and we were looking for someplace for a really simple lunch.

We found a place called Anna Millers.....think Marie Calendars or Perkins.

We had a very "local" dinner last night and wee looking for a tuna melt or something similar.

These are INCREDIBLE.

Did you get a side of Spam with that? :rotfl:

DisneyKevin
07-11-2011, 05:10 PM
I have some advice for each one you.

Start hoarding vacation days and saving your money.

You will want to visit Aulani.

Aburns8
07-11-2011, 05:16 PM
That is what I thought. I will need to start a vacation fund!

daneenm
07-11-2011, 05:17 PM

Ooooohhhh! Is it going to be worth the price? We have never been to Hawaii and I am a bit surprised at the prices. I haven't really compared to other comparable resorts so maybe it is right in line.

Looking forward to hearing more about it!

gretchenohar@hotmail
07-11-2011, 05:21 PM

Sounds like the BEST advice I've rec'd in a long time!

Brancaneve
07-11-2011, 05:27 PM
popcorn::

HollyMac71
07-11-2011, 05:52 PM

I think I can do that!::yes::

JWren1234
07-11-2011, 06:03 PM

I think I know where I'll be headed next year :)

Jason

topolino
07-11-2011, 06:16 PM

Don't forget DVC points, save them too.

If you don't have enough, beg, borrow or rent (don't steal) :rotfl:

SusanWasHere
07-11-2011, 06:31 PM
I think I know where I'll be headed next year :)

Jason

How about an April ABD reunion trip?????? LOL

connie1042
07-11-2011, 06:52 PM
Been to Hawaii. Stayed in Oahu, Big Island of Hawaii, and Kauai. We loved Oahu and the Big Island. I think the best beach in Oahu is Hanamma Bay. Loved the big Island. Would go back there in a min. The Lava flows are amazing. We are military (retired) so get great rates in Oahu. $150.00 a night, Ocean Front, right on Waikiki. Loved Pearl Harbor. My uncle was an admiral in the Navy and was stationed there. I never met him and don't know a lot about him. I heard he was in the movie they show. I did not know that until I got home. I know this is going to sound horrible, but I had a hard time with all the Japanese that were there to see it. I know the ones that are there now, had nothing to do with it, but that was really hard for me. I know that a lot of people from Japan vacation there. It was a great trip, and will go back someday, but it is so expensive to just get there.

JWren1234
07-11-2011, 06:55 PM
How about an April ABD reunion trip?????? LOL

Great Idea!:thumbsup2

Jason

NitroStitch
07-11-2011, 07:10 PM

Oh no...we already needed to do that for ABD trips! ;)

Note to self...win lottery FASTER!

chirurgeon
07-11-2011, 07:19 PM
Oh no...we already needed to do that for ABD trips! ;)

Note to self...win lottery FASTER!

I was thinking the same thing myself.

Kim

DisneyKevin
07-11-2011, 08:42 PM
We just finished our tour.

We have a great deal of info to share with y'all.

It's a stunningly beautiful resort.

roomthreeseventeen
07-11-2011, 09:47 PM

*looks for couch pennies.*

SamSam
07-11-2011, 10:10 PM

Looking forward to hearing all about it!:goodvibes

PryncessChrysty
07-12-2011, 12:23 AM

Can't wait for the next show! Did you get to meet Joe Rohde?!? :hyper: :tongue:

sayhello
07-12-2011, 08:58 AM

It's a stunningly beautiful resort.:banana:

Sayhello

stenogoddess
07-12-2011, 10:25 AM
Can't wait to hear all about it. Glad y'all are having a great time! :goodvibes

mommyceratops
07-12-2011, 10:47 AM
:thumbsup2 I can't wait to hear all about it. Super exciting!!! :love:

WebmasterJohn
07-12-2011, 01:40 PM
Hey Gang

I posted alot of pictures last night - http://www.dreamsunlimitedtravel.com/resorts/aulani/index.htm - we have more to do today.

Keep checking that site for updates.

Thanks
John

Cherinva
07-12-2011, 01:52 PM
Can't wait to hear all about it...have a wonderful time.

*NikkiBell*
07-12-2011, 02:03 PM
Thanks for posting these pics, John! The rooms are absolutely beautiful, and I was glad to see that they had the hidden bed armoire like in the Grand Californian villas. I can only wish to get there one day!!

WebmasterJohn
07-12-2011, 02:38 PM
Can't wait for the next show! Did you get to meet Joe Rohde?!? :hyper: :tongue:

Unfortunately no - I was hoping to see him but was told he wasn't there. We also missed Iger by a few days.

We did get a chance to meet and interview the Imagineer who works for Joe as his Sr. Show Producer, Jeanette Lomboy. We taped the interview and once we get it to Scott and he has a chance to clean it up he will post it.

I think you will find her fascinating and she reveals a surprise that I think will make many of you freak out!!!

As a point of interest Jeanette was the lead Imagineer in charge of the Kim Possible interactive experience at Epcot.

starwood
07-12-2011, 04:13 PM
I love the pool.

papamouse1
07-12-2011, 04:54 PM
Hey guys, thanks so much for all the info. Still crossing fingers I can still get a 7-month DVC ressie for summer 2013!!

One quick question, the DU site mentioned a parking fee in the hotel rooms section but not in the DVC section. Will they be charging for parking for DVC members staying on points?

Thanks!! :)

mikelan6
07-12-2011, 05:34 PM
We did get a chance to meet and interview the Imagineer who works for Joe as his Sr. Show Producer, Jeanette Lomboy. We taped the interview and once we get it to Scott and he has a chance to clean it up he will post it.

Was Kevin using foul language again? :rotfl2:

WebmasterJohn
07-13-2011, 03:29 AM
Hey guys, thanks so much for all the info. Still crossing fingers I can still get a 7-month DVC ressie for summer 2013!!

One quick question, the DU site mentioned a parking fee in the hotel rooms section but not in the DVC section. Will they be charging for parking for DVC members staying on points?

Thanks!! :)

Self parking for DVC members staying on points is free. It is $25 per night for hotel guests. Valet parking will be available at an additional charge but they did not know how much yet.

A parking fee is common in Hawaii, pretty much all hotels charge it. We are paying $30 per night where we are staying now. If there is no parking fee the per night rate is usually higher so they are just rolling it into the rate.

We told the sales and marketing folks that most Disney resorts do not charge for parking (unless it's valet) and this feels like they are nickel and diming people. They said they would consider doing away with it...we'll see.

DisneyKevin
07-13-2011, 03:32 AM
Drove to the east side of the island today to Kailua.

It's much more low key than Honolulu and about 30 minutes from Aulani.

Had some lunch, visited a couple of art galleries, then spent the afternoon in the warm, turquoise Pacific.

What an incredible day.

I'm fascinated by the variation in atmosphere, style and things to do in the different towns.

Honolulu / Waikiki is the "Times Square" of beaches / shopping.

Ko'olina is very laid back with a decidedly "upscale" feel.

Kailua is friendly and laid back and beautiful.

Tomorrow, we are visiting the North Shore to see what that's like.

Hawaiians love their islands and all that goes with them.

When I first arrived and saw the "South Beach" type atmosphere of Waikiki, I wasn't very impressed. As I get to explore a little bit, I understand their love.

I have had but the slightest taste and I can't wait to come back.

Tomorrow is our last day and aside from missing my dogs something fierce.....I could stay a month.

I'm going to miss Hawaii.

WebmasterJohn
07-13-2011, 03:45 AM
I'm going to miss Hawaii.

If you play your cards right maybe we'll come back soon :rotfl:

And maybe we can get some of our DIS Friends to join us :banana:

starwood
07-13-2011, 05:34 AM
After our first trip or 2 to Hawaii we eventually stopped going to Oahu and started going to Maui. If you like Oahu wait until you see Maui.

John - just tell us when and where and I'm willing to be there. We haven't been to Hawaii in 20 years (since before Matt was born). The last time we were there when I got off the plane I had this funny feeling I was home. I just wish it wasn't so far away.

apurplebrat
07-13-2011, 05:34 AM

:cool1:

Cherinva
07-13-2011, 06:40 AM

wdwscout
07-13-2011, 06:58 AM

:banana::banana:Name the date!! :banana::banana:

:dance3::cool1::dance3::cool1::dance3:

NitroStitch
07-13-2011, 07:03 AM
Hey Gang

I posted alot of pictures last night - http://www.dreamsunlimitedtravel.com/resorts/aulani/index.htm - we have more to do today.

Keep checking that site for updates.

Thanks
John

Oh WOW! Those are gorgeous photos! I want to go!

Anyone want to spend megabucks on a kidney - I have two. :rotfl2: Guess I'll just need to get a few more jobs or play the lottery more often instead. I like my kidneys where they are... ;)

corky441
07-13-2011, 07:07 AM

Good thing Chase just upped my Disney Visa credit limit... :)
Do I see a Podcast Hawaiian adventure on the horizon ?

Mouse Skywalker
07-13-2011, 07:25 AM
Unfortunately no - I was hoping to see him but was told he wasn't there. We also missed Iger by a few days.

I think you will find her fascinating and she reveals a surprise that I think will make many of you freak out!!!

As a point of interest Jeanette was the lead Imagineer in charge of the Kim Possible interactive experience at Epcot.Oooh, interesting... I can't wait to listen.

stenogoddess
07-13-2011, 09:09 AM

Don't even ask, just sign us up! :thumbsup2

JERME81
07-13-2011, 09:19 AM
I know the feeling.....its been about two months since I was in Maui and I miss it every day. I miss the sound of the ocean, the sunsets, the friendly people, and the Mai Tai's!! Hawaii changes people.

DVC Kathy
07-13-2011, 09:36 AM
We've been lucky enough to get to Hawaii twice, both in connection with DH's conferences.

The first trip we planned 4 nights on Maui before heading to the Hilton Hawaiian Village on Oahu for the conference. That was 1991, and I still remember the feeling I had as we drove away from the airport at dusk. It was as though the island itself was alive. I could really believe in the Hawaiian gods.

In 2005 we rented a car for a day and drove around Oahu, which is beautiful as well.

I really want to go back.

If you want a taste of the music, try the Makaha Sons. You can get their music through Amazon.

DisMeet at Aulaini?

Bornteach
07-13-2011, 02:19 PM

I just know this is going to cost us some money!

Puffpatty
07-13-2011, 04:47 PM
Glad you understand how easy it is to fall in love with the islands.

Alex thought I was nutty to want to constantly return to vacation there when it's so far from the NYC area (I've been more than a dozen times)....until I got him to go.

Needless to say he spoke of our next trip back on day two of our first trip :cool1:

On our second trip we explored all the other islands and can't wait to go back yet again...it's nice to hear that they will waive parking fees for DVC members. John is completely right; most resorts charge $30 daily for parking over there or roll it into their "resort fee" or nightly rate. Just because it's Disney doesn't mean they won't conform to the local standard pricing practices...there's probably some law they have on the books regarding tourism related fees and taxes, etc. It's the bread and butter of the islands.

Can't wait to go back!!! :thumbsup2

papamouse1
07-13-2011, 06:50 PM
Self parking for DVC members staying on points is free. It is $25 per night for hotel guests. Valet parking will be available at an additional charge but they did not know how much yet.

Thanks John. I was mainly interested in how they would handle DVC, the free parking at all resorts has always been nice :)

As far as the "charging parking fee at same time as charging $500 night for a room" debate, we better not fire that one up or else you know that thread will spin off into taking kids out of school for Disney trips, reusing refillable mugs, using DVC points to book cruises... (SShhhh! let's let those sleeping dogs lie) :rolleyes1

papamouse1
07-13-2011, 06:52 PM

Here's a little help pulling that idea together pixiedust:

:dance3:

DrMomof3
07-13-2011, 08:31 PM
I'm so glad you're having a great trip and can't wait to hear all about it!!!

Amanda

HawkeyeMickey77
07-13-2011, 09:44 PM
If you're visiting the North Shore, stop by Matsumotos for some shave ice (& be sure to get it with ice cream in the bottom!). Yum! And even though they look a little questionable, try one of the roadside shrimp places. Mackey's right outside of Hailewa is good!

sayhello
07-13-2011, 11:13 PM

And maybe we can get some of our DIS Friends to join us :banana:You know, I was actually planning on going to Hawaii next year for my vacation, one way or another...

:yay:

Sayhello

DisneyKevin
07-13-2011, 11:33 PM
We spent our last day shopping.

We went to the Waikele outlets and bought new luggage.

Ok.... we bought too much stuff and this was cheaper than shipping stuff home and we have new Samsonite luggage.

We then went to Target and boy,,, was it a hoot. The parking garage multi storied and had an elevator. I has to buy new headphones for the plane ride. I lost mine somewhere. I also bought a really cool serving tray. Hey....why not? I have new luggage.

After that, we went to Hermes where we were followed around like we were thieves.

Hermes is famous for making saddles.

I tried on cologne that made me smell like I should be wearing a saddle.

We decided we didnt need the $1700.00 belt.

We went to Cartier and tried on stuff.

We are now watching the sunset at Dukes.

I've had a few "Tropical Itches" and am a bit buzzed.

Packing should be fun.

Homeward bound tomorrow.

*NikkiBell*
07-13-2011, 11:35 PM
I am so happy you had a grand time. Looking forward to more pics and news about it. Safe travels! :)

stenogoddess
07-14-2011, 07:23 AM
Safe travels home. Can't wait to hear all about it! :goodvibes

OKW Lover
07-14-2011, 07:34 AM
Hope you bought a pair of Bose QC15's to replace your lost headphones. Val got a pair for her birthday - very light and more comfortable than her QC3's.

safetymom
07-14-2011, 08:00 AM
Hope you bought a pair of Bose QC15's to replace your lost headphones. Val got a pair for her birthday - very light and more comfortable than her QC3's.

I love mine!! Never travel without them. :)

Mouse Skywalker
07-14-2011, 08:53 AM
Safe travels home.

heatherwillmom
07-14-2011, 09:01 AM
I haven't read the whole thread but look forward to hearing about your trip on the podcast. I was planning on going to Aulani next year for DD's graduation.

DisneyKevin
07-14-2011, 04:16 PM
Sitting in Honolulu airport.

We have a six hour flight to LA and then a five hour flight to Orlando.

It's been an amazing trip.

jcb
07-14-2011, 04:18 PM
Aloha.

*NikkiBell*
07-14-2011, 04:18 PM
Enjoy the flight!

lablady
07-14-2011, 04:26 PM
I'm glad to hear that you guys enjoyed Hawaii so much! I'm taking my family there in November and was a little nervous since I haven't been there in about 20 years. We'll be on Maui, but I'm hoping to stay at Aulani one day! I hope your super long plane trip goes smoothly. That's even a little longer than our trips to Orlando!

OKW Lover
07-14-2011, 04:44 PM

Hope you have one of those lay-flat sleeper seats.

Halloweenqueen
07-14-2011, 04:56 PM
Aloha.

Hawaii is the only place in the world that trumps WDW/DL. :thumbsup2

8 more months for me!

Paul in CT
07-14-2011, 05:39 PM

Time to break out the Kindle (or sleep). ;)

Paul in CT
07-14-2011, 05:42 PM
We spent our last day shopping.

We went to the Waikele outlets and bought new luggage.

Ok.... we bought too much stuff and this was cheaper than shipping stuff home and we have new Samsonite luggage.

We then went to Target and boy,,, was it a hoot. The parking garage multi storied and had an elevator. I has to buy new headphones for the plane ride. I lost mine somewhere. I also bought a really cool serving tray. Hey....why not? I have new luggage.

After that, we went to Hermes where we were followed around like we were thieves.

Hermes is famous for making saddles.

I tried on cologne that made me smell like I should be wearing a saddle.

We decided we didnt need the $1700.00 belt.

We went to Cartier and tried on stuff.

We are now watching the sunset at Dukes.

I've had a few "Tropical Itches" and am a bit buzzed.

Packing should be fun.

Homeward bound tomorrow.

Dukes! That was one of our favorite places. :goodvibes

Aburns8
07-14-2011, 05:53 PM
Have safe travels home!

heatherwillmom
07-14-2011, 09:28 PM

I would be glad to join you anytime! I could be the little sister that keeps you in line

SamSam
07-14-2011, 09:39 PM
Safe travels! I'm looking forward to more stories. :goodvibes

dansyr2514
07-14-2011, 09:47 PM
Have a safe trip!!!!

DisneyKevin
07-14-2011, 11:51 PM
Sitting in LAX.....

Have a two hour layover.

Homeward bound.

What an awesome trip!

KimStaR
07-15-2011, 01:59 AM
Popping out of hiding for a moment.:wave2: Hehe! Kevin and John, can't wait to hear more about your trip to heaven... I mean Aulani. Cannot WAIT to go. The pictures look beautiful and I am sure it is even more beautiful in person. We went to Hawaii in October, but saved Oahu for Aulani. Hope you enjoyed your time!

:earboy2:

Cherinva
07-15-2011, 06:35 AM
Hope your flight home was good...can't wait to hear all about it !!!

DisneyKevin
07-15-2011, 07:16 AM
Home!

More later,