PDA

View Full Version : Casey Anthony trial- verdict is in!

safetymom
07-05-2011, 01:29 PM
Wonder what it will be? www.wftv.com go to the live blog to watch it on TV.

safetymom
07-05-2011, 01:33 PM
They will announce it at 2:15 PM.

NitroStitch
07-05-2011, 01:45 PM
I'm really stunned that they are back so fast. I hope that's a good sign for justice! :eek:

safetymom
07-05-2011, 01:46 PM
I agree. I hope if it doesn't come back as guilty that the people of Orlando behave themselves.

NitroStitch
07-05-2011, 01:55 PM
I agree. I hope if it doesn't come back as guilty that the people of Orlando behave themselves.

As well as those people who've traveled to Orlando to be part of it (outside of those acting in an official capacity). That's a real concern...

safetymom
07-05-2011, 01:58 PM
Agreed! The crowds are building outside the courthouse.

*NikkiBell*
07-05-2011, 01:59 PM
A few of us are hiding out in the ABD chat room and discussing the trial now. :) Come on in!

roomthreeseventeen
07-05-2011, 02:06 PM
I hope this goes whatever way is in justice of Caylee's memory. No little girl should have to die like that.

Stay safe, Orlando folks.

TXYankee
07-05-2011, 02:08 PM
A few of us are hiding out in the ABD chat room and discussing the trial now. :) Come on in!

I can't chat at work!:mad:

I did not know that there was unofficial chat during the day.
Can any one go into ADB chat room and Chat anytime we want? :woohoo:

safetymom
07-05-2011, 02:22 PM
Not guilty of first degree murder :(

DisneyGuess
07-05-2011, 02:27 PM
I'm absolutely sick over that travesty of a verdict. :sad1::sad2:

SDSorority
07-05-2011, 02:30 PM
Not guilty of first degree murder :(

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMGGGGGGGGGG GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

:eek: :scared1: :eek: :scared1: :eek: :scared1: :eek:

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

:sad2: :sad2: :sad2: :sad2:

:crazy2::crazy2::crazy2::crazy2::crazy2::crazy2:

NitroStitch
07-05-2011, 02:30 PM
I feel sick. This is OJ all over again. I can't believe they fell for the smoke and mirrors. :sad2:

safetymom
07-05-2011, 02:31 PM
Upset with the verdict!!!

SDSorority
07-05-2011, 02:32 PM
Where's Julie? I bet she's going NUTS right now!!!!!!!

roomthreeseventeen
07-05-2011, 02:33 PM
Terrible verdict.

SDSorority
07-05-2011, 02:34 PM
Upset with the verdict!!!

Me.Too. OMG. My mouth DROPPED.

newmouse2008
07-05-2011, 02:35 PM
This is so wrong!!!!!! We are stunned and saddened by this verdict. :sad1:

Stacy's a freak
07-05-2011, 02:35 PM
I'm so shocked!!! I just can't believe it!! I wish I knew what was going on the minds of the jurors ... I didn't watch the entire trial so I don't have all the facts but ... WOW!!!

roomthreeseventeen
07-05-2011, 02:36 PM
She's laughing and crying now? Honestly?

*NikkiBell*
Totally unbelievable, but I cannot say that I am surprised. OJ got away with killing two people and now Casey Anthony got away with killing a precious little girl. Very sick. :sad2:

*NikkiBell*
She's laughing and crying now? Honestly?

Are you honestly surprised? That is the behavior of a very sick person.

k5jmh
07-05-2011, 02:38 PM
I had mentioned this a couple of days ago, but the Prosecution did not make its case. there were way tooo many holes.

I am not happy that the prosecution failed to meet the burden of proof.

sydneysmom
07-05-2011, 02:38 PM
I can't even believe it. I can't believe that this little tiny sweet girl was so brutally murdered and this animal has gotten away with it. :sad1: How heartbreaking. I just want to cry for that poor little girl. It is like the OJ trial all over again. She got away with murder.

It's amazing... the only time Casey Anthony has showed any emotion is when SHE gets not guilty ? that's telling. Did you see her parents get up and just leave before it was over ? :confused3 I think they all know she just got away with it.

NancyIL
07-05-2011, 02:39 PM
It's hard to convict someone "beyond a reasonable doubt." Thankfully - I didn't get involved in watching the trial on TV.

minnieandmickey
07-05-2011, 02:39 PM
How the world 7 Women sat and saw all of that and how she reacted by partying it up afterwards and found her not guilty boggles my mind.

Disney Enabler
07-05-2011, 02:40 PM
I am remembering how difficult it is serving on a jury.

Although found not guilty in the trail she will have to live the rest of her life knowing how she treated her daughter in her short life. That is a life sentence.

May Caylee rest in peace. She was a beautiful little girl.

Carol
It's a great day to be alive!!!

LilGMom
07-05-2011, 02:42 PM
It sickens me that this poor little girl will never have justice for her death. And the one person that should have loved her the most probably had something to do with her death and will now probably make money off of her daughter's death by going on tv shows, magazines, Lifetime movies, etc. I do agree that the prosecution dropped the ball in many ways but the verdict maddens me. And based on how Casey behaved during the month that her daughter was "missing" I doubt that she'll have any trouble living with the knowledge that her daughter is dead by her hands or lack of assistance to the authorities.

TXYankee
07-05-2011, 02:44 PM

I think the prosecution let that woman get away with murder too!

roomthreeseventeen
07-05-2011, 02:44 PM
I think the prosecution let that woman get away with murder too!

Whether or not there was enough evidence to convict on murder one, there was ZERO reasonable doubt that Casey did not a) have a hand in her daughter's death and then b) cover it up. This was a jury error.

figment3258
07-05-2011, 02:47 PM
I feel sick that is awful :sad1:

NancyIL
07-05-2011, 02:52 PM
Based on what people have posted here and on Facebook - I wouldn't want to be one of the jurors after that verdict!

sayhello
07-05-2011, 02:53 PM
Freakin' unbelievable. But remember. They didn't find her innocent. Just not Guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.

End result is that she'll walk, though. Sucks.

Sayhello

miprender
07-05-2011, 02:53 PM
I didn't follow the case to closely but I am in SHOCK that she wasn't found guilty of something:sad2:

Some kids never have a chance.:sad1:

k5jmh
07-05-2011, 02:55 PM
Whether or not there was enough evidence to convict on murder one, there was ZERO reasonable doubt that Casey did not a) have a hand in her daughter's death and then b) cover it up. This was a jury error.

But the state also did not prove their case on aggravated child abuse or aggravated manslaughter of a child. She was found not guilty on those charges as well. It was completely on the State to prove that. The jury had to follow the mandate of the court for their ruling.

NancyIL
07-05-2011, 02:56 PM
I didn't follow the case to closely but I am in SHOCK that she wasn't found guilty of something:sad2:

Some kids never have a chance.:sad1:

She was found guilty on 4 counts of providing false information to law enforcement.

TinyDancer
07-05-2011, 02:56 PM
Very sad. :(

roomthreeseventeen
07-05-2011, 02:57 PM
But the state also did not prove their case on aggravated child abuse or aggravated manslaughter of a child. She was found not guilty on those charges as well. It was completely on the State to prove that. The jury had to follow the mandate of the court for their ruling.

I have to re-read the Florida statues, but I'm aghast that being the last person to see your daughter alive, and then lying about what happened to her isn't aggravated child abuse.

Mickey Fanatic
07-05-2011, 02:59 PM
I feel sick. RIP little angel girl.

aykna
07-05-2011, 03:02 PM
I'm not surprised. I never got the sense that the prosecution could totally prove what happened. Very theoretical. The fault lies with them no matter what nonsense the defense spouted.

k5jmh
07-05-2011, 03:08 PM
Wow, I think someone just broke Facebook!

safetymom
07-05-2011, 03:10 PM
It's just so sad that Caylee will not get justice. :(

auroralark
07-05-2011, 03:11 PM
I'm disgusted with the verdict too. I can't believe she got away with it.

hookedonears
07-05-2011, 03:14 PM
I have to believe that most in the jury believe that she's the scum of the earth and that most in the jury probably believe she did it, but I guess they just must have felt that the state just didn't prove their case.

DVC Kathy
07-05-2011, 03:15 PM
I had mentioned this a couple of days ago, but the Prosecution did not make its case. there were way tooo many holes.

I thought the Prosecution did a great job of summarizing what they had, but I was afraid there was just too big a gap between what they showed and what needed to be shown.

Baez did his job (couldn't stand to watch him) poking all sorts of possibilities into the Prosecution's case.

Disney Dad Canada
07-05-2011, 03:17 PM
Amazing how everyone here is quick to be judge, jury and executioner. The reactions here and elsewhere are precisely why there are trials, and people are not judged by public opinion.

No system is perfect, but it's the system that is in place and you have to respect the system as a whole.

k5jmh
The Prosecution let Caylee down. It was the State's case to lose.

LimoFam5
I can not believe this.........it's like the OJ trial number 2.
People all over the web are talking........I think she would be safer in jail from what is being said......The juriors may want to take a long vacation as well.........I feel bad that they were put in this position...it could not have been easy.........
The facts are that child killers an molestors are targeted in jail, where there are guards everywhere it is going to be a whole other ball game outside of jail for her.....hopfully no one will think to take the law into their own hands........because that would do no one any good, no one would win.
Soooooo basically no justice for the sweet little angel who did nothing to deserve the way her life eneded.....makes me sick.

stepdisney
07-05-2011, 03:18 PM
What in the world!! I can't believe it. Somehow not reporting the DEATH of your Child or that your CHILD is MISSING is NOT ABUSE???!!! I am going to be sick. Yes, prosecution did prove their case by disproving EVERYTHING this lying woman tried to use to prove. Who invents entire groups of people for no reason? Bad verdict all the way around.

MelissaFromRI
07-05-2011, 03:18 PM
I am sick to my stomach....:sad2:

DVC Kathy
07-05-2011, 03:19 PM
Based on what people have posted here and on Facebook - I wouldn't want to be one of the jurors after that verdict!

I don't think they were happy with the verdict, given that they wouldn't look at her.

I was on a civil case once where what I wanted to find didn't match what the Plaintiff's attorney had proven. It was hard enough to do the correct thing given the evidence.

I can't imagine how difficult it was for the jurors in this case to follow the law - as it was explained to them - rather than what their personal judgement might have been.

safetymom
07-05-2011, 03:19 PM
Jurors don't want to talk with media. :(

roomthreeseventeen
07-05-2011, 03:20 PM
Amazing how everyone here is quick to be judge, jury and executioner. The reactions here and elsewhere are precisely why there are trials, and people are not judged by public opinion.

No system is perfect, but it's the system that is in place and you have to respect the system as a whole.

Paul, you don't think it's okay to judge someone who admits to being the last person to see her child alive, and then spent a month lying about it and partying?

safetymom
07-05-2011, 03:21 PM

I respect the fact that the system worked but Caylee did not get justice!!! Having lived this case daily for the last 3 years I am disappointed in the verdict.

NancyIL
07-05-2011, 03:26 PM
I can not believe this.........it's like the OJ trial number 2.
People all over the web are talking........I think she would be safer in jail from what is being said......The juriors may want to take a long vacation as well.........I feel bad that they were put in this position...it could not have been easy.........
The facts are that child killers an molestors are targeted in jail, where there are guards everywhere it is going to be a whole other ball game outside of jail for her.....hopfully no one will think to take the law into their own hands........because that would do no one any good, no one would win.
Soooooo basically no justice for the sweet little angel who did nothing to deserve the way her life eneded.....makes me sick.

Casey will never be "free" - even when she is released from jail. She will always be thought of as a child killer for the rest of her life - even if she is innocent.

safetymom
07-05-2011, 03:28 PM
I hope Karma visits Casey.

Stacy's a freak
07-05-2011, 03:28 PM
Casey will never be "free" - even when she is released from jail. She will always be thought of as a child killer for the rest of her life - even if she is innocent.
So true ... look at OJ.

k5jmh
07-05-2011, 03:29 PM
Paul, you don't think it's okay to judge someone who admits to being the last person to see her child alive, and then spent a month lying about it and partying?

The State did not charge her with Child endangerment. It is the duty of the state to meet the burden of proof for the charges it brings. But what people fail to realize is that for a Death/Penalty case, you have to meet the highest burden of proof. The State focused on the the #1 charge and let the others kind of slide. The state was shooting for a homerun but ended up striking out.

The State let Caylee down. The Jury found Casey not guilty. Jeopardy is applied. "someone who admits to being the last person to see her child alive, and then spent a month lying about it and partying?" is not an admission of guilt and is circumstantial.

The long and the short of it - The State did not meet the burden of proof for each of the charges of which she was found not-guilty.

Nancy F
07-05-2011, 03:35 PM
I'm just sick over this verdict! Bet she gets timed served Thurs. Then she can go right to club Fusion to celebrate!
Nancy :confused3

roomthreeseventeen
07-05-2011, 03:36 PM

The people on the Community board are already posting call outs to Dexter... and these are nice, gentle, non-criminal Disney fans.

*NikkiBell*
07-05-2011, 03:38 PM
There's someone on Nancy Grace right now bringing up the fact that Casey's female bodyguard said Casey talked about Caylee in the past tense even before the body was found, the tattoo, how she was treating it like a slumber party, etc.

Disney Dad Canada
07-05-2011, 03:39 PM

If you want to consider yourself a civil society, you have to trust your judicial system. You make not like the results 100% of the time, but you have to believe that it does the best it can.

In Canada you can be re-tried if found not guilty. I am not a lawyer, so I don't really know the details of the difdferences between the US and Canada systems, but I know that this is one large difference.

brekin67
07-05-2011, 03:42 PM
Casey and OJ can now go find the real killers.

*NikkiBell*
07-05-2011, 03:48 PM
If you want to consider yourself a civil society, you have to trust your judicial system. You make not like the results 100% of the time, but you have to believe that it does the best it can.

I strongly disagree. Just because one does not agree with the verdict, does not make them uncivilized.

NitroStitch
07-05-2011, 03:48 PM

That's my hope too, and I hope it's soon. Karma is my calmest hope...the rest lean far more toward thinking of Dexter.

sydneysmom
07-05-2011, 03:55 PM
That's my hope too, and I hope it's soon. Karma is my calmest hope...the rest lean far more toward thinking of Dexter.

:thumbsup2:thumbsup2 AMEN.

MelissaFromRI
07-05-2011, 03:56 PM

Exactly , what goes around , comes around...

Disney Dad Canada
07-05-2011, 03:58 PM
I strongly disagree. Just because one does not agree with the verdict, does not make them uncivilized.

And where did I say that? No system is perfect, but you still have to trust in the system if you want to consider yourself a civilized society. Otherwise, what alternatives are there? Judging by popular opinion?

If you want to be mad at someone or something, blame the prosecutors for not proving their case, not the system as a whole.

Metro West
07-05-2011, 03:58 PM
Exactly , what goes around , comes around... Her day will come...and she won't like it!

PartofDisney'sWorld
07-05-2011, 03:59 PM
I'm just sick over this verdict! Bet she gets timed served Thurs. Then she can go right to club Fusion to celebrate!
Nancy :confused3

Where's Fusion? I'll go find her....:rolleyes1

mjaclyn
07-05-2011, 04:01 PM
That woman needs to be committed. Convicted of murder or not she's obviously a Grade A Nut-job.

LimoFam5
07-05-2011, 04:02 PM
Love the calls for Dexter.........
If there was ever a time..............or a person.........

MelissaFromRI
07-05-2011, 04:02 PM
Love the calls for Dexter.........
If there was ever a time..............or a person.........

:thumbsup2

DreaGirl
07-05-2011, 04:04 PM
I really wanted to hear what the jury had to say, but I'm not surprised they didn't talk. I'm sure they are waiting for their payday for their time on the jury.

I hate the fact that she is going to make money off the death of her child. Makes me sick.

I just pray that she does not EVER have another child.

roomthreeseventeen
07-05-2011, 04:05 PM
And where did I say that? No system is perfect, but you still have to trust in the system if you want to consider yourself a civilized society. Otherwise, what alternatives are there? Judging by popular opinion?

If you want to be mad at someone or something, blame the prosecutors for not proving their case, not the system as a whole.

Sometimes, the system is the problem. The jurors would have been smarter to use a little more Occam's razor in this case.

LimoFam5
07-05-2011, 04:06 PM
They say that she is going to rake in big bucks for interviews, ect.....
I say let her talk, the more she talks the more she seems to be guilty....she was not able to keep her story straight this whole time so if she does go and open her mouth im sure she will slip it is only a matter of time........
I am certain a greater punishment then jail is waiting for her, maybe it is a good thing that she will not be behind bars under guard and key for much longer.........

DreaGirl
07-05-2011, 04:07 PM
I say let her talk, the more she talks the more she seems to be guilty....she was not able to keep her story straight this whole time so if she does go and open her mouth im sure she will slip it is only a matter of time........
I am certain a greater punishment then jail is waiting for her, maybe it is a good thing that she will not be behind bars under guard and key for much longer.........

It's my understanding that she cannot be charged again.

k5jmh

Very well put. :thumbsup2

Nikki, I think you twisted what Paul was saying. There seems to be a lot of emotions clouding the logic of the case. I am sure no one on here has ever been judged prematurely, socially or otherwise?

Innocent until proven guilty and that has to be applied uniformly.

*NikkiBell*

My comments are based on what was said in the above quote; no where did I state I was mad (I just disagreed). I know many educated, well-respected people that do not have faith in the legal system in the United States. I would still refer to them as being members of a civilized society. Uncivilized would imply that they are reckless, non-contributing individuals which is not the case. Maybe I am not reading the meaning of the comment as it was intended?

sydneysmom
07-05-2011, 04:09 PM

You have to understand, people are VERY upset at this verdict. I'm not sure why you are defending the verdict so vehemently, but that's your own business..... I think right now people are looking at our own children and wondering how would we react. Yes, that's right, SHEER DEVASTATION. But you didn't see that. You saw a girl with a face like granite. Who's only real emotion is when her own life was spared.
The great thing about America, people are entitled to an opinion, such as you are. And we are voicing their opinion. And we are outraged. It's an incredibly sad and tragic thing.

I do believe in our justice system, however, I think that it is also skewing towards the rights of the accused rather than the rights of the victims. In this case, the victim was a tiny girl who's voice was snuffed out so horrifically. And the accused is seen partying, having sex and getting a tattoo while her daughter is missing. It's kind of hard to see the justice today... sorry.:sad2:

LimoFam5
07-05-2011, 04:11 PM
It's my understanding that she cannot be charged again.

No she can not be tried again......that does not mean she will not get what is coming to her....

k5jmh
07-05-2011, 04:11 PM

Jeopardy is now applied. She can not be tried again in a criminal court for those same charges in this case. She is facing a civil lawsuit by someone she allegedly slandered.

roomthreeseventeen
07-05-2011, 04:12 PM
Jeopardy is now applied. She can not be tried again in a criminal court for those same charges in this case. She is facing a civil lawsuit by someone she allegedly slandered.

That's not really true. She can be charged again in criminal court on different charges. I hope that she and George Anthony are both charged this week.

*NikkiBell*
07-05-2011, 04:14 PM
I was wondering if a civil suit was underway...

Disney Dad Canada
07-05-2011, 04:15 PM
My comments are based on what was said in the above quote; no where did I state I was mad (I just disagreed). I know many educated, well-respected people that do not have faith in the legal system in the United States. I would still refer to them as being members of a civilized society. Uncivilized would imply that they are reckless, non-contributing individuals which is not the case. Maybe I am not reading the meaning of the comment as it was intended?

If you don't trust the legal system, what other system would take it's place? Every civilized country in the world uses some form of a judge and jury system. Yes, there may be room for improvent, and yes, no system is perfect, but unless you're willing to suggest a better system, you can't blame the system itself.

LimoFam5
07-05-2011, 04:16 PM

Very familiar with the law..........however that is not what I was talking about. Even if she is out free as a bird it does not mean she will not slip. She is pure evil, her day will come and in her case many are saying it is best she is not behind the saftey of a jail house walls.........

*NikkiBell*
07-05-2011, 04:27 PM
It's very disheartening to hear on the news that the defense is cheering and drinking champagne right now. A child is dead, after all. How is that something to celebrate? :sad2:

k5jmh
07-05-2011, 04:29 PM

That's not really true. She can be charged again in criminal court on different charges. I hope that she and George Anthony are both charged this week.

Doubtful that the state will take any additional action against Casey, Cindy, or George Anthony for perjury.

SevrenLuna
07-05-2011, 04:30 PM
“Reasonable doubt can be a killer” as someone just told me. I hate :furious: that she got off with only lying to law enforcement. Caylee did not deserve what happened to her. I wholly believe Casey knows something about her death; if not perpetrated it herself. It sickens me to know she was ever a mother. Sadly, this is one of the things that happens within a system set up to "protect the innocent". Please don’t misunderstand; I do believe our justice system works more often than it doesn't. However, I feel this time the state failed Caylee more than the jury did.

roomthreeseventeen
07-05-2011, 04:31 PM
Doubtful that the state will take any additional action against Casey, Cindy, or George Anthony for perjury.

Perjury, maybe not? Child neglect, maybe murder against George Anthony? I bet they do.

ADP
07-05-2011, 04:31 PM
I do believe in our justice system, however, I think that it is also skewing towards the rights of the accused rather than the rights of the victims. In this case, the victim was a tiny girl who's voice was snuffed out so horrifically. And the accused is seen partying, having sex and getting a tattoo while her daughter is missing. It's kind of hard to see the justice today... sorry.:sad2:
Well said.

No she can not be tried again......that does not mean she will not get what is coming to her....
Agree. You can't be retried for the same crime...It would be considered double jeoprardy.

It's very disheartening to hear on the news that the defense is cheering and drinking champagne right now. A child is dead, after all. How is that something to celebrate? :sad2:
I totally agree. :sad2:

TrekBoy85
07-05-2011, 04:37 PM
Sometimes, the system is the problem. The jurors would have been smarter to use a little more Occam's razor in this case.

The problem with using this precept is that it is essentially a recommendation to tend toward simple explanations, but this is not a valid form of evidence. It may be very helpful in trying to find evidence, but just because something can be reasoned because it is simple, does not by any stretch of the imagination mean that it is correct, especially beyond a reasonable doubt.

Casey Anthony was very clearly involved in one way or another. She covered up the fact that she knew where her "missing" daughter's body was, and she has been convicted of lying to the police for that.

The reason I think that there was insufficient evidence to convict her of murder was pretty simple: according to the coroner the death was a homicide, but there was no method listed...there was not enough good evidence to show how Casey might have murdered Caylee, therefore, since no method was determined it would be virtually impossible to say that Casey did it...It would be a leap in reasoning which leads to reasonable doubt.

I think that I agree with most here in that she probably did do it...if not, she was very heavily involved in covering it up.

I do have to agree with DisneyDayCanada with regards to the system. It worked as the system is intended to work. The system is not necessarily designed to punish people, but rather protect them by making sure that there is no reasonable doubt. If we allow public opinion to color a murder trial, we will no doubt lynch everyone who is ever convicted of murder.

FrankieDplus3
07-05-2011, 04:39 PM
I am not defending the verdict or Casey, but, why so many call-outs for revenge/karma on this thread? How will that make this situation any better?

It sickens me that a little girl has lost her life, but, if Casey were to walk out of court tomorrow and get hit by a bus, I would still feel sick about the death of this little girl.

roomthreeseventeen
07-05-2011, 04:43 PM
I am not defending the verdict or Casey, but, why so many call-outs for revenge/karma on this thread? How will that make this situation any better?

It sickens me that a little girl has lost her life, but, if Casey were to walk out of court tomorrow and get hit by a bus, I would still feel sick about the death of this little girl.

I would normally agree with you. In this case, I think it's because Casey has shown no remorse. She spent a month after her daughter's disappearance partying, and lying about where her 2 year old was. Every time she has spoken about Caylee, it's been completely without emotion as if Caylee were a dog who had run away.

It's textbook sociopath behavior. Thus, the many call-outs for karma.

*NikkiBell*
07-05-2011, 04:44 PM
I think this has become such a highly publicized case that many have formed an opinion and feel strongly about it. Some have an emotional connection because they knew someone who was in a situation like this or were themselves. Others feel connected because they have children or work in childcare, education, etc. Still, others follow law or even work in the field. As a result, it can be difficult for some individuals to discuss this when another opposes your view. Many feel so invested in this case that they are expressing their thoughts freely and as they pop into their heads. This may be why you see such a strong reaction.

topolino
07-05-2011, 05:17 PM
I don't believe in Karma. I don't believe it exists. I think it seems like it does, because stupid people continue to do stupid things and eventually they get caught. That is the law of averages, not Karma.

Anyway, the problem with this case is that the state shot for the moon. They wanted the Death Penalty and to get that you'd better have an airtight case. Theirs was far from it.

LimoFam5
07-05-2011, 05:54 PM

Agree no act of revenge / karma will bring back that sweet little girl however if Casey walked out of the court / jail tomorrow and got hit by a bus and died I would have to say she got off easy. At least her parents and loved ones (if she has any left) would have the peace of heart to know what happened to her and how her life ended, they would also have the option to take that loved one and give her a proper barial and lay her to rest.
All of that is more then Caylee got. Will we ever know how that little girls life came to end? She was left for the animals to pick apart in a swamp.......
I say Casey deserves much worse then getting hit by a bus......

This whole thing is crazy....the Mother the person in charge of a childs safety does not report her child missing for 30+ days and holds no responsibility in the end result that her child met.......there is something wrong with this.

wishspirit
07-05-2011, 06:00 PM
I've been reading up about this double jeopardy (as since 2005 it no longer exists in the UK, as people can be re-tried if new and sufficient evidence comes to light), with this in mind I wonder why they brought her to trial now, when there were still so many holes in her case.

Don't get me wrong, from my limited understanding, it doesn't take too many leaps in imagination to believe she did it, but in a good case there shouldn't be any leaps in imagination. It just leaves it wide open for reasonable doubt.

I think life will be very difficult for this woman, whether or not she rots in jail.

Disney Dad Canada
07-05-2011, 06:05 PM

Does no one remember the LA riots after the Rodney King verdict? It's sad to see that we haven't learned anything from the past.

DreaGirl
07-05-2011, 06:19 PM
Just heard that Jeff Ashton has retired.

dalt01
07-05-2011, 06:23 PM
the Prosecution did not make its case. failed to meet the burden of proof.:thumbsup2........also.....if they could not prove she was NOT innocent how can all of you be so sure that she wasn't. the admonition to a jury is VERY clear "if you do not think the prosecution proved guilt "beyond a reasonable doubt" then you MUST find the defendant not guilty. in simpler terms (this is me saying this part not a judge) you must be sure they are guilty! i myself would rather see 10 guilty people go free if it means that one innocent person is not railroaded and loses the rest of his or her life and or freedom. it is easy to second guess our system, we must remember that the other choice has been tried...............in Germany and the former Soviet Union...............

PeterPan09
07-05-2011, 06:52 PM
Even though I believe that Casey did kill her daughter, I find that I can't be angry about the verdict. If we as a society are going to put someone to death, I want us to be absolutely positive that we have the right person. I like that it needs a ton of evidence to bring in a guilty verdict on Murder 1 charges.

Now, what I'm not sure I understand and maybe someone who saw more of the trial can explain is why the jury was not allowed to consider lesser charges? Murder 2, Manslaughter? Did the prosecutor's office go for broke with Murder 1 and blow a chance to get her on a lesser charge? Same goes for the child abuse charge. Could they have gone for child neglect as well? Perhaps she would have at least been found guilty of that after not reporting her child missing for 31 days.

The bottom line for me at least is that I firmly believe that Miss Casey will have another judgement day and that her next Judge will not need to ask for a forensics expert or a detective for evidence. He's already got all He needs.

sss4911
07-05-2011, 06:54 PM
Even though I believe that Casey did kill her daughter, I find that I can't be angry about the verdict. If we as a society are going to put someone to death, I want us to be absolutely positive that we have the right person. I like that it needs a ton of evidence to bring in a guilty verdict on Murder 1 charges.

Now, what I'm not sure I understand and maybe someone who saw more of the trial can explain is why the jury was not allowed to consider lesser charges? Murder 2, Manslaughter? Did the prosecutor's office go for broke with Murder 1 and blow a chance to get her on a lesser charge? Same goes for the child abuse charge. Could they have gone for child neglect as well? Perhaps she would have at least been found guilty of that after not reporting her child missing for 31 days.

The bottom line for me at least is that I firmly believe that Miss Casey will have another judgement day and that her next Judge will not need to ask for a forensics expert or a detective for evidence. He's already got all He needs.

They were allowed to consider lesser charges...and they found her not guilty on all of those counts. Second degree murder, 3rd degree felony murder and manslaughter were all on the verdict forms as well.

ciera321
07-05-2011, 07:04 PM

So well stated!!!

dalt01
The bottom line for me at least is that I firmly believe that Miss Casey will have another judgement day and that her next Judge will not need to ask for a forensics expert or a detective for evidence. He's already got all He needs...Simon Cowell???????

PeterPan09
They were allowed to consider lesser charges...and they found her not guilty on all of those counts. Second degree murder, 3rd degree felony murder and manslaughter were all on the verdict forms as well.

Thanks. That does kind of mystify me that none of those charges were able to stick. Even if they didn't feel she intended to kill her, how do they explain the 31 days and the multiple lies she told? Why else would she have needed to do that?

LimoFam5
07-05-2011, 07:22 PM

Well said.....PERFECT!!

Tink2Day
07-05-2011, 07:35 PM
Tell me that not reporting your toddler missing after a VERY short period of time isn't child endangerment, willful neglect or child abuse and I'll say you're not following the letter of the law.

Tinkerbellie16
07-05-2011, 08:01 PM
We were in Orlando (at WDW) when the trial started and we were so hooked. We spent our 'nap' times watching the trial. And like many other people, we've been following the trial. Over the weekend during closing arguments and the instructions by the judge, I told my husband that they had to find her not guilty of the first three counts and guilty of the last four. He couldn't believe I said it and he disagreed. But I am glad to see our justice system works and that joke of a trial did not put a woman in jail with that much doubt.

BUT no matter how you personally feel, a verdict was given and she was tried in our justice system (which I am very proud of especially compared to most other countries). I really fear for the Anthony family and all the hatred that people have pent up. Unfortunately, I fear people will take out their hate on the people involved in the case. Casey was found not guilty by a jury of her peers and we all need to deal with it and move on.

dansyr2514
07-05-2011, 08:05 PM
I think before the times of CSI and other shows like that the burden of proof wouldn't quite have been so high. Has anyone heard if they will continue an investigation into how this poor child died? I personally completely believe Casey had a hand in it. But according to the courts she didn't do it. So are they just going to let the case drop?

Tink2Day
07-05-2011, 08:11 PM
How can a juror make an informed decision without any notes, any review?

How can you say the father was complicit as one alternate did, without one iota of evidence. Not even as much as they had against Casey?

Hate to say this but where was the logical thinking?

Frighteningly this woman may have another child.

PeterPan09
07-05-2011, 08:12 PM
I think before the times of CSI and other shows like that the burden of proof wouldn't quite have been so high. Has anyone heard if they will continue an investigation into how this poor child died? I personally completely believe Casey had a hand in it. But according to the courts she didn't do it. So are they just going to let the case drop?

Well, according to the court she was not proven guilty. Not proven guilty doesn't mean innocent. Yes, it's semantics but it's true. Everyone in that room may have known in their hearts that she killed that baby, but without proof she could not be convicted of it.

The case has to drop because jeopardy has attached. She cannot be tried again for the same crime.

shellyminnie
07-05-2011, 08:15 PM
Living not to far from Orlando, I have followed this case from the very start. I have watched a majority of the trial (it's been hard to avoid with the 24 hour coverage here). Here are my thoughts:

I believe that our justice system worked in this case. A person who charged with a crime, pleaded not guilty, was tried, and her fate was decided by a jury of her peers.

Having said that, I DO NOT believe there was any justice in this case.

Obviously she lied to police, that was proven.
Obviously the child died, that was proven.
IMO, the state proved that Caylee was killed and did not die in an accidental drowning. Unfortunately, the state did not connect the dots to Casey.

Personally, I think she's nutty as a fruitcake and didn't want to be tied down to a child, so she did the unthinkable. I also think the jury felt she was guilty but could not convict her because they had reasonable doubt. Unfortunately, we will never know unless they decide to talk. Hopefully one day they will.

But the victim in all of this is that sweet, adorable, innocent little Caylee whose life was cut all too short. There is no justice in that.

Just my two cents.

simonkodousek
07-05-2011, 08:37 PM
This an absolute travesty. It is a damn shame that Caylee will not get justice... :(

Joshua_me
07-05-2011, 08:52 PM
And what about the creepy meter reader guy that tampered with evidence and told his son he was, "going to make a small fortune over this" ? Will he be brought up on charges ?

And what about Casey's Mom, who clearly lied about being home and searching for "chlorophyll" on her desktop when records show she was at work during that time ? Will she face perjury charges ?

This entire thing literally makes me sick to my stomach, and if I were to express any other feelings I harbor over Casey they would be immediately deleted from The Dis. (And rightfully so)

Suffice it to say the entire thing nauseates me to my very core.

flyinglizard
07-05-2011, 09:11 PM
One thing I heard on the TV news as the investigation progressed- When Caylee was born, she became the star of the household and Casey was very resentful. Cindy told her daughter that she was going to legally adopt Caylee. I'm sure that made Casey furious and she decided that was never going to happen. I never heard of this being presented at the trial.

I think we can also see what may be an emerging pattern here... if you take people away from their lives against their will, they will get even with the state by making a mockery of the trial and our legal system.

Just so sad such a beautiful little angel could be treated as just a bag of trash to be tossed away...

Lumiere Lover
07-05-2011, 09:18 PM
Please don't bash me, but I am not surprised by the verdict. I few years ago I was sequestered in Wisconsin for a murder trial. The law of "reasonable doubt" is so long and huge that unless someone confesses holding a bloody knife, you can't convict them.

This is such a shame. Such a beautiful little girl lost her life way too early.

DisneyDoc5
07-05-2011, 09:40 PM
Rest in peace little Caylee - such a sad day.

SamSam
07-05-2011, 11:16 PM
I've served on 2 times on a jury and to me part of the problem lies with how people interpret "beyond a reasonable doubt". From my experience, the other jury members took this to mean 'no doubt', even though the judge was clear that beyond a reasonable doubt doesn't mean 'no doubt'.
JMHO, but serving really opened my eyes to how the 'make up' of the jury is a huge deciding factor in how a verdict comes in.

WebmasterAlex
07-05-2011, 11:40 PM
A couple of people have reported some posts saying that Casey will face another judgment day as being religious. As you know we don't allow posts about religion or politics on the boards. There is a bit of a grey area and I think that just stating the above falls in that area and it's ok to post it. It's certainly not starting an argument or pushing a certain religion

Disney Dad Canada
07-05-2011, 11:43 PM
A couple of people have reported some posts saying that Casey will face another judgment day as being religious. As you know we don't allow posts about religion or politics on the boards. There is a bit of a grey area and I think that just stating the above falls in that area and it's ok to post it. It's certainly not starting an argument or pushing a certain religion

Religion in any form is verboten and should be banned. JMO. If a thread was totally removed which asked people to vote, then preaching about judgement from an imaginary invisible man in the sky is just as wrong.

WaltD4Me
07-05-2011, 11:52 PM
I'm absolutely sick. So, if you can manage to hide your child's body in swamp until she is nothing but bones you can get away with murdering her. :sad1:

Hopefully the IRS will be knocking on Casey's door on Friday. I hear she owes them $70,000 from the money she made selling pictures of Caylee to ABC.

Sadly, unlike OJ, there will be no family to file a wrongful death suit against her like Nicole Simpson and Ron Goldman's families did. It's just heartbreaking.

DaParkers
07-06-2011, 12:13 AM

:thumbsup2

baby1disney
07-06-2011, 02:29 AM
I'm going to say what I've said in my FB page: Casey Anthony was found not guilty by a jury of her peers. There was no concrete evidence that she did it. It was the prosecution's job to make the jury believe she did it. To be fair..Casey was perceived guilty from the get go and a lot of that was the media's fault..which was one reason why thu wanted to move the trial because they were afraid that she wouldn't get a fair trial.

A friend of mine said this and I kinda have to agree. He said that "just because we feel in our gut that someone is guilty..doesn't mean that we can punish them..especially if there's no evidence proving they did." And that's the point...there wasn't any concrete evidence to prove she did. ALOT of people played a part in her being free..so they gotta deal with that as well.

Last but not least...I know that there are things I've done that I'll have to answer to when I meet my maker. I truly believe that if she's guilty..God..or whoever you believe in..will make sure that not only does she know it..we will too!! The only person she'll have to answer is God and He and only Him knows the truth!!

So while everyone is upset with verdict and I completely understand why...it's over and done. Don't dwell on it anymore cause all it'll Sonia make you more angry..sick..can't sleep or whatever else!!! Instead think of your next Disney trip or something that makes you happy!!:goodvibes

Swank
07-06-2011, 07:46 AM
Please don't bash me, but I am not surprised by the verdict. I few years ago I was sequestered in Wisconsin for a murder trial. The law of "reasonable doubt" is so long and huge that unless someone confesses holding a bloody knife, you can't convict them.

This is such a shame. Such a beautiful little girl lost her life way too early.

But as a Jury you are supposed to take everything into account. You are the ones who need to Judge, It is in your power to find the defendant guilty or innocent. As the Jury you are not bound by reasonable doubt, you should take it into account, but you should also take into account the facts of the case, and what was said by the witnesses in court. it is your decision it is out of the hand of the judge when you go into deliberation.

PeterPan09
07-06-2011, 08:13 AM

I'm sorry for causing trouble for the moderators. It was simply what I was feeling at the time. I haven't been a regular poster in quite a while and I forgot how sensitive people can be about things they don't believe exist.

wdwfreeksince88
07-06-2011, 08:47 AM
I'm going to say what I've said in my FB page: Casey Anthony was found not guilty by a jury of her peers. There was no concrete evidence that she did it. It was the prosecution's job to make the jury believe she did it. To be fair..Casey was perceived guilty from the get go and a lot of that was the media's fault..which was one reason why thu wanted to move the trial because they were afraid that she wouldn't get a fair trial.

A friend of mine said this and I kinda have to agree. He said that "just because we feel in our gut that someone is guilty..doesn't mean that we can punish them..especially if there's no evidence proving they did." And that's the point...there wasn't any concrete evidence to prove she did. ALOT of people played a part in her being free..so they gotta deal with that as well.

So while everyone is upset with verdict and I completely understand why...it's over and done. Don't dwell on it anymore cause all it'll Sonia make you more angry..sick..can't sleep or whatever else!!! Instead think of your next Disney trip or something that makes you happy!!:goodvibes

This is what I have been saying all along...So I completely agree with you.:thumbsup2

*NikkiBell*
07-06-2011, 10:05 AM
I'm sorry for causing trouble for the moderators. It was simply what I was feeling at the time. I haven't been a regular poster in quite a while and I forgot how sensitive people can be about things they don't believe exist.

Hi PeterPan09,

Please continue to post. You have not done anything wrong as mentioned in Alex's previous post. :hug:

FireDancer
07-06-2011, 10:26 AM
My reaction to the verdict, which I found out about an hour ago, was "Eh, whatever". I'm just glad it is over no matter what the verdict is. People I don't know kill other people I don't know every day. It is a sad fact of life but one I don't worry about. This particular case was of no more importance to me then any other murder trial going on in the world right now.

I am looking forward to finding out what the next media distraction will be. We wouldn't want the country to concentrate on issues that really matter after all.

DaddyDuck
07-06-2011, 04:10 PM
No matter how sad we are for the verdict reached, the law is the law. The jury found her not guilty. I will be surprised if their opinion changes after hearing the evidence that wasnt admissable.
It's a shame this world still has people like Casey in it. If you kill and do it just the right way even the law cant stop you, just guilt. That's if you have any.:sad1:

Joshua_me
07-07-2011, 06:46 PM

safetymom
07-07-2011, 06:59 PM
Zanny the Nanny court case can now go forward. I hope she loses on this case and has to pay this poor woman some money!!

k5jmh
07-07-2011, 09:26 PM
I have a hard time thinking that "Zanny the Nanny" has standing. Defamation of Character is far different than a case of mistaken identity. I think the judge will see this as frivolous and throw it out. I feel bad that the lady lost her job and was harassed. BUT, you have to prove that Casey Anthony had intent to defame Zanny. I think it is a stretch even for civil court.

SamSam
07-07-2011, 11:54 PM
I have a hard time thinking that "Zanny the Nanny" has standing. Defamation of Character is far different than a case of mistaken identity.

:confused3 I don't see it as mistaken identity. She didn't mistakenly identify anyone, simply made the whole thing up.

k5jmh
07-08-2011, 12:01 AM
:confused3 I don't see it as mistaken identity. She didn't mistakenly identify anyone, simply made the whole thing up.
Her employers and others rushed to judge her based on an assumption.
That would be the same as me saying Jane Doe stole my car.

WaltD4Me
07-08-2011, 01:41 AM

Yes and maybe no. Some people believe she got the name from a tenant application form that this Zenaida Gonzalez filled out at the Sawgrass Apartments where she said she dropped Caylee off. She also said Zanny the Nanny drove a silver Ford Focus which this Zenaida also drives. Yes, that is a common car, but in combination with the Sawgrass Apartments there is speculation that she developed Zanny in part on this Zendaida Gonzalez. I don't know if that's true, but there is a little bit more to it than this woman just having the same name. She was seriously investigated because of her connection at Sawgrass apartments and having the same car Casey said Zanny drove. Also Casey or her attorney refused to have Casey come out to clear this woman's name and make a statement that she was not Zanny the Nanny.

Best part is that this is a CIVIL case. Totally different from a criminial case. They will depose Casey and she has to answer their questions. Not that her answers will mean anything, but it will be fun to see her squirm.

safetymom
07-08-2011, 05:36 AM
The case was postponed once because of Caylee trial. I would have thought if they were going to throw it out they would have done it already.

I think Zanny has a right to go forward with her case. I wouldn't have wanted to see my name dragged through the mud.

I am no going to predict what happens with this case. There is a high profile lawyer in the Orlando area acting as her attorney.

hazelB
07-08-2011, 06:14 AM
Casey Anthony has been found innocent by a court of her peers of murder charges, states WTSP 10 News Tampa Bay. Jurors considered 33 days of accounts and two days of closing argument. But she was found guilty of providing false information to law enforcement during the investigation into Caylee’s death. Anthony may receive up to four years in prison for providing false information regarding Caylee, who was considered a missing person at the time.

SamSam
07-08-2011, 09:56 AM
Yes and maybe no. Some people believe she got the name from a tenant application form that this Zenaida Gonzalez filled out at the Sawgrass Apartments where she said she dropped Caylee off. She also said Zanny the Nanny drove a silver Ford Focus which this Zenaida also drives. Yes, that is a common car, but in combination with the Sawgrass Apartments there is speculation that she developed Zanny in part on this Zendaida Gonzalez. I don't know if that's true, but there is a little bit more to it than this woman just having the same name. She was seriously investigated because of her connection at Sawgrass apartments and having the same car Casey said Zanny drove. Also Casey or her attorney refused to have Casey come out to clear this woman's name and make a statement that she was not Zanny the Nanny.

Best part is that this is a CIVIL case. Totally different from a criminial case. They will depose Casey and she has to answer their questions. Not that her answers will mean anything, but it will be fun to see her squirm.

I agree with you, what I meant was that there wasn't a nanny in the first place (or so I believe), Casey made that part up. I do believe the real Zanny should go forward with her case.

DuckyDoo
07-10-2011, 01:58 AM
I know she was found not guilty by a jury. How can anyone ignore the circumstances and what evidence was available, and not convict her. I hope the jury does come out and explains their reasoning behind their decision.
It is a shame that a little girls name will fade away with past victims while their killers walk the streets living their lives. I guess Casey will finally have her "Beautiful Life". Just as she planned all along.:sad1:

Disney Dad Canada
07-10-2011, 09:13 AM
No matter how sad we are for the verdict reached, the law is the law. The jury found her not guilty. I will be surprised if their opinion changes after hearing the evidence that wasnt admissable.
It's a shame this world still has people like Casey in it. If you kill and do it just the right way even the law cant stop you, just guilt. That's if you have any.:sad1:

The evidence is inadmissable for a reason. It's a shame people who have nothing better to do are judge, jury any executioner, believing that they know better than the justice system.

Let it go, get on with your life.

FireDancer
07-10-2011, 12:19 PM
Let it go, get on with your life.

This basically needs to be stated for every discussion of the matter online, in life, and in all news media.

DisneyKevin
07-10-2011, 12:26 PM
people who have nothing better to do

Sounds a bit judgmental.:rolleyes1

Disney Dad Canada
07-10-2011, 01:41 PM
Sounds a bit judgmental.:rolleyes1

And the rest of the people wanting to be judges aren't?

It's not a nice thing to think about, but kids die every day. They die from drowning, from car accidents, from abuse and from disease. Why is this death any different than any other? Because of trash tv. TV lives for cases like this, because it means big ratings. They play on your heart strings making you want to watch coverage 24/7 because they want to make you feel like you know the people involved.

You don't know the victim, you don't know the acquitted. If GKTW got the international TV coverage this trial did, Pete's million dollar challenge would reach its goal within a week.

If you want to do something constructive with your anger and frustration about this case, donate your time and/or money to GKTW or some local childrens' charity. Although these kids won't get the press that this case received, they deserve as much respect, dignity and hope for a future as anyone.

dansyr2514
07-10-2011, 01:43 PM
I just want to say I'm glad people are still talking about it. Although we can't do anything about Casey and the verdict....at least Caylee is not being forgotten.

DisneyKevin
07-10-2011, 02:05 PM
And the rest of the people wanting to be judges aren't?.

Yes.....judgement is judgement.

I was just pointing out that you were doing something very similar to what you were chastising others for doing.

People still talk about the OJ trial.

When people feel that there has been a miscarriage of justice, they will discuss it.

Seeing that this is a "discussion" board, it seems an appropriate place to do this.

Disney Dad Canada
07-10-2011, 02:08 PM
Yes.....judgement is judgement.

I was just pointing out that you were doing something very similar to what you were chastising others for doing.

People still talk about the OJ trial.

When people feel that there has been a miscarriage of justice, they will discuss it.

Seeing that this is a "discussion" board, it seems an appropriate place to do this.

That seems more than a fair assessment. I'd still like people to use their frustration with the case constructively, as I suggested earlier.

topolino
07-10-2011, 02:10 PM
And the rest of the people wanting to be judges aren't?

It's not a nice thing to think about, but kids die every day. They die from drowning, from car accidents, from abuse and from disease. Why is this death any different than any other? .

Because this child was murdered probably by her own mother. You don't recognize that that as more newsworthy than a victim of a car accident, as tragic as that is as well?

Disney Dad Canada
07-10-2011, 02:15 PM
Because this child was murdered probably by her own mother. You don't recognize that that as more newsworthy than a victim of a car accident, as tragic as that is as well?

Actually, the child was murdered. Everyone's assuming it was by her mother, but the jury determined otherwise.

And no, I don't see it as more newsworthy. I think if you give 10% of the coverage the trial got to GKTW that the money that would roll in from donations would actually do some great things for these kids. The coverage of the trial is only doing good things for the networks' pocketbooks.

The only reason that TV doesn't give charities news coverage is because they can't get the ratings for it.

DisneyKevin
07-10-2011, 02:18 PM
The jury actually decided that the state did not prove it's case.

I'd bet my last dollar that everyone on that jury thought she was guilty.

topolino
07-10-2011, 02:20 PM
Actually, the child was murdered. Everyone's assuming it was by her mother, but the jury determined otherwise.

And no, I don't see it as more newsworthy. I think if you give 10% of the coverage the trial got to GKTW that the money that would roll in from donations would actually do some great things for these kids. The coverage of the trial is only doing good things for the networks' pocketbooks.

The only reason that TV doesn't give charities news coverage is because they can't get the ratings for it.

I agree with you that more attention should be given to charities, and that bottom of the barrel news shows are exploiting the death of a child for ratings, that much is for sure.

But the specifics of this case - the 31 days of partying and not reporting Caylee missing, the far fetched story that the defense cooked up, the web of lies that Casey told, etc. These all add up to a fascinating case and one that it was easy to get sucked into.

k5jmh
07-10-2011, 02:52 PM

I like what one of the jurors said. "We did not find her innocent, we found her not guilty. The state did not prove it's case".

Disney Dad Canada
07-10-2011, 03:09 PM
I like what one of the jurors said. "We did not find her innocent, we found her not guilty. The state did not prove it's case".

No jury finds anyone innocent. They are instructed to say guilty or not guilty. Inferring a "not guilty" verdict as "we think the accused is guilty you just didn't prove it" is disgusting. If that was the case everyone accused would be presumed "not guilty" until proven "guilty". Some people that go on trial are in fact innocent, whether you want to believe it or not.

I for one don't watch trash TV specifically because of incidences like this. It serves no purpose whatsoever. So much wasted energy that could be utilized constructively elsewhere.

I do feel bad for the victim, but I prefer focus my attention elsewhere, on things that make me happy or places I can make a difference.

DisneyKevin
07-10-2011, 07:44 PM
No jury finds anyone innocent. They are instructed to say guilty or not guilty. Inferring a "not guilty" verdict as "we think the accused is guilty you just didn't prove it" is disgusting. If that was the case everyone accused would be presumed "not guilty" until proven "guilty". Some people that go on trial are in fact innocent, whether you want to believe it or not.

I for one don't watch trash TV specifically because of incidences like this. It serves no purpose whatsoever. So much wasted energy that could be utilized constructively elsewhere.

I do feel bad for the victim, but I prefer focus my attention elsewhere, on things that make me happy or places I can make a difference.

Everyone is presumed innocent until proven guilty.

As for your feeling of disgust over the opinions around this case...well, you are certainly entitled to your feelings.

As for wasted energy....this seems to be a perfect example of that very thing.

You could certainly get away from your feelings of disgust and work on things that make you happy and make a difference by spending your time doing things besides trying to convince others that they should think like you.

Joshua_me
07-10-2011, 07:56 PM
You could certainly get away from your feelings of disgust and work on things that make you happy and make a difference by spending your time doing things besides trying to convince others that they should think like you.

Ooo, *snap* ! *ahem*

I mean... excellent point, well taken.

Look, most ALL of us are upset over what appears to be a total travesty of justice. (The defense celebrating and popping champagne in plain sight at a bar across the street really put the icing on the cake of disgust)

But, the bottom line is we all have to live with the out come. Casey may not spend the rest of her life in jail in the physical sense, but she will be imprisoned in her own mind and by society for the rest of her days.

Disney Dad Canada
07-10-2011, 08:06 PM

I'm sorry, I spent a good part of the weekend volunteering down at Sick Kids hospital here in Toronto. I think I have a right to take a few minutes to show just how shallow others can be.

Nancy F
07-10-2011, 08:14 PM

Juror #3 even said that Not guilty does not mean innocent.
Nancy

dansyr2514
07-10-2011, 08:15 PM
I think it is a good thing people can come here and discuss their feeling on the trial. It shows society has not become so blase' and that society does care about injustice.
Everyone will move on when it is appropriate for them.
Until then, maybe we should not tell them they are wrong for remembering an injustice done to a child.

DisneyKevin
07-10-2011, 08:18 PM
I think I have a right to take a few minutes to show just how shallow others can be.

Really.

Is that how you focus your attention on making yourself happy and making a difference?

Just askin.....:rolleyes1

topolino
07-10-2011, 08:20 PM
I'm sorry, I spent a good part of the weekend volunteering down at Sick Kids hospital here in Toronto. I think I have a right to take a few minutes to show just how shallow others can be.

I don't know, I still think taking time to point out that you are better than others is bad form regardless of how much good you do.

dansyr2514
07-10-2011, 08:25 PM
Just curious...how is anyone that is concerned about someone else being shallow?

k5jmh
07-10-2011, 08:45 PM
No jury finds anyone innocent. They are instructed to say guilty or not guilty. Inferring a "not guilty" verdict as "we think the accused is guilty you just didn't prove it" is disgusting...

That is what the juror stated. Innocence is implied. The jury found her not guilty based on the evidence that was given. The jurors acted properly and followed the law. They did not let their personal feelings interfere with the law.

roomthreeseventeen
07-10-2011, 08:47 PM
I don't think being upset about the verdict is wasted energy. If, as I suspect it will, this verdict prompts a new law that makes it a felony not to report your child's disappearance, Caylee will have maybe saved some other children from harm.

DisneyKevin
07-10-2011, 08:52 PM
Although it wasn't my initial intent on this thread, personal attacks and snide remarks deserve comments at some point.

I'm sorry, once again it's been proven that there are one set of rules for regular people, and another for moderators and the "chosen few". If I made similar comments to yours about people here, I would be penalized or banned.

Your bulletin board, your rules. Try following them sometimes.

Not broken a single rule here.

You have an opinion. I have an opinion.

The difference is that I'm not telling anyone to get a life or that they are shallow.

And I'm just reusing your words.

FireDancer
07-10-2011, 08:56 PM
I don't think being upset about the verdict is wasted energy. If, as I suspect it will, this verdict prompts a new law that makes it a felony not to report your child's disappearance, Caylee will have maybe saved some other children from harm.

I highly doubt that. Anyone who would even consider not reporting their child missing for a month isn't going to change their mind because there is a law requiring it. It is just a feel good reactionary law. What it would do is provide the jury with another charge to consider in the extremely rare case it is needed but after the damage is already done.

If you take a step back and think about how many times this scenario actually happens (a missing child not being reported for a month) I think any objective person will realize that not only will it not effect that many people in the end but it is distracting us from much more pressing matters that will effect a lot of people.

Of course the whole trial, verdict, aftermath carade is doing just that, distracting us from things that are much more pressing.

topolino
07-10-2011, 09:08 PM
I really don't understand why people are so upset that there is a lot of attention to this trial. How can there not be? It's so unique in so many ways. It gets people talking about the judicial process, about the court system, about relationships within families, etc.

Additionally, these type of trials are events that mark generations. People who were old enough remember the OJ trial. If you're old enough you'll remember the Menendez trial, and before that Son of Sam. In some ways, the people of a nation unite amidst unspeakable horrors like these.

To think that people are so swept up by it that they are distracted from what's important is a bit silly, IMO. Do you really think people have stopped going to work and have stopped working with charities because they want to talk about the Casey Anthony trial?

WaltD4Me
07-10-2011, 09:28 PM
I really don't understand why people are so upset that there is a lot of attention to this trial. How can there not be? It's so unique in so many ways. It gets people talking about the judicial process, about the court system, about relationships within families, etc.

Additionally, these type of trials are events that mark generations. People who were old enough remember the OJ trial. If you're old enough you'll remember the Menendez trial, and before that Son of Sam. In some ways, the people of a nation unite amidst unspeakable horrors like these.

To think that people are so swept up by it that they are distracted from what's important is a bit silly, IMO. Do you really think people have stopped going to work and have stopped working with charities because they want to talk about the Casey Anthony trial?

Thank you.

You can be interested in this trial and still live your life and do good things.

For some reason this case touched my heart from the beginning. I'm not sure why exactly, but I've been following it since the beginning. I remember going to WDW while Caylee was still thought to be missing and flying over the woods and swamps and being so sad thinking she might be in there somehwhere. I still held my job, spent time with my family, volunteered to make care packages for soldiers, go to the movies, ect, ect...I will admit the last month watching the trial I may have been a tad obsessed, but it was like reading a really fascinating loooong book and coming to the end to learn the outcome. I'm sure why anyone would care that I cared.

Disney Dad Canada
07-10-2011, 09:51 PM
http://fieldnotes.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/07/10/7055601-the-miserable-postscript-for-a-casey-anthony-juror

This is what happens to jurors when the public thinks it knows better than the justice system. The poor woman was just doing her duty and now she can't even go back home.

FireDancer
07-10-2011, 10:00 PM
http://fieldnotes.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/07/10/7055601-the-miserable-postscript-for-a-casey-anthony-juror

This is what happens to jurors when the public thinks it knows better than the justice system. The poor woman was just doing her duty and now she can't even go back home.

Regardless of what anyone thinks of the verdict it is appalling what some people are putting the jurors through. They aren't really much better than Casey Anthony IMO.

Moon Child
07-10-2011, 10:11 PM
This verdict has been bugging me all week, I've read every single response on this thread and no one else said it, but I will, it's all I've thought about...

“Scott Peterson case"

There was no cause of death determined. As with Caylee, the body was in too far an advanced state of decomposit*ion to determine cause of death. The prosecution argued in their closing that in all "likelihood" she was probably strangled.

As the coroner did in this case, the cornoner in the Peterson case came to the conclusion that manner of death was murder, based upon where the body was found, circumstances surrounding her disappearance, etc.

The ONLY piece of forensic evidence was ONE single strand of Laci's hair wrapped in a pair of pliers on Scott's boat.

It was a case with far less hard evidence than in this case, yet that jury took 7 days to come to a verdict. They looked at and reviewed the evidence, asked the judge questions, viewed documents, requested read back of testimony. The Anthony jury did none of that.”

Scott Peterson was convicted based on his lies and actions, hhhmmm
just like Casey, but she is walking, so very sad

Hooked On The Mouse
07-10-2011, 10:20 PM
DH and I are genuinely disturbed by this verdict, which I guess makes us shallow somehow :confused3, but it is absolutely heartbreaking that this innocent little child was killed, probably by the person who should have loved her the most, and now it appears there will not even be justice for her death. Even worse, Casey Anthony will probably make a big pile of money by selling her story and will now enjoy her "beautiful life". It seems like it just sits wrong with a lot of people.

WaltD4Me
07-10-2011, 10:23 PM
This verdict has been bugging me all week, I've read every single response on this thread and no one else said it, but I will, it's all I've thought about...

“Scott Peterson case"

There was no cause of death determined. As with Caylee, the body was in too far an advanced state of decomposit*ion to determine cause of death. The prosecution argued in their closing that in all "likelihood" she was probably strangled.

As the coroner did in this case, the cornoner in the Peterson case came to the conclusion that manner of death was murder, based upon where the body was found, circumstances surrounding her disappearance, etc.

The ONLY piece of forensic evidence was ONE single strand of Laci's hair wrapped in a pair of pliers on Scott's boat.

It was a case with far less hard evidence than in this case, yet that jury took 7 days to come to a verdict. They looked at and reviewed the evidence, asked the judge questions, viewed documents, requested read back of testimony. The Anthony jury did none of that.”

Scott Peterson was convicted based on his lies and actions, hhhmmm
just like Casey, but she is walking, so very sad

I agree. People have been convicted of murder in cases where there has not even been a body. The Scott Peterson case was similiar in evidence to Casey Anthony. His attorney Mark Geragos in his opening statement put out the theory that Laci was kidnapped by a van full of hippies. :rolleyes: Different jury. No way to really explain it.

Moon Child
07-10-2011, 10:27 PM
I agree. People have been convicted of murder in cases where there has not even been a body. The Scott Peterson case was similiar in evidence to Casey Anthony. His attorney Mark Geragos in his opening statement put out the theory that Laci was kidnapped by a van full of hippies. :rolleyes: Different jury. No way to really explain it.

I know **sigh**
It's just that every time I hear one of the jurors say "No cause of Death"
I scream "Scott Peterson" at the tv, can't help myself
I even heard 2 of the alternate jurors call Casey a "Good Mom"

:confused3

Disney Dad Canada
07-11-2011, 03:51 AM
Really.

Is that how you focus your attention on making yourself happy and making a difference?

And I get an infraction for sarcasm? Really? None on your part at all.

Next time you want to punish someone for having a difference of opinion, be man enough to do it yourself, don't tell a minion to do it.

DisneyKevin
07-11-2011, 04:17 AM
And I get an infraction for sarcasm? Really? None on your part at all.

Next time you want to punish someone for having a difference of opinion, be man enough to do it yourself, don't tell a minion to do it.

I have no idea what you are talking about.

I'm in Hawaii.

And I have no problem telling you what I think.....but I'm guessing you know that.

disneyholic family
07-11-2011, 04:19 AM
I have no idea what you are talking about.

I'm in Hawaii.

And I have no problem telling you what I think.....but I'm guessing you know that.

you're not in hawaii - you're in paradise...

WebmasterJohn
07-11-2011, 04:26 AM
be man enough to do it yourself.

You have really crossed a line here!!

My suggestion is you apologize...and soon!!

WebmasterKathy
07-11-2011, 09:02 AM
Enough.