PDA

View Full Version : Who else is too spoiled by Disney fireworks to enjoy their local ones?

topolino
07-03-2011, 10:01 AM
I just can't seem to get up for them. I'm at the point now where I just skip them. After having seen Disney fireworks countless times, local ones, put on by the community just don't measure up. I know they mean well, but it's just so underwhelming.

Anyone else feel the same way, or am I being a "nighttime spectacular" snob?

roomthreeseventeen
07-03-2011, 10:29 AM
I just can't seem to get up for them. I'm at the point now where I just skip them. After having seen Disney fireworks countless times, local ones, put on by the community just don't measure up. I know they mean well, but it's just so underwhelming.

Us, too. We are skipping Macy's fireworks tomorrow because last year was so disappointing in comparison.

topolino
07-03-2011, 10:36 AM
Us, too. We are skipping Macy's fireworks tomorrow because last year was so disappointing in comparison.

And that's NYC! Try sitting through the ones put on at Erie Canal Harbor in Downtown Buffalo! Not bad I guess, for a medium sized city, but still, not Disney.

The minor league baseball team here, The Buffalo Bisons, do a pretty good job of post-game fireworks, but still, it's not the same.

GaSleepingBeautyFan
07-03-2011, 10:37 AM
Around here it's hard to find a place to park unless you get to them hours and hours in advance.

Plus there is tons of drinking going on and very few places to use the restroom so you can imagine how nasty those portable potties are.

Then there is the horrible traffic.

So we don't go to any local fireworks. We do sparklers and the ground fountains that are legal around here in our backyard when we do not have a drought. That reminds me I need to go buy some today.

PinkBudgie
07-03-2011, 10:48 AM
I just hate going with all the crowds and parking to go see the city fireworks. Since we are one of the last cities in our area that allows personal fireworks, we always buy some and do them in the street. This year we tried the line on our boys that we will be in Disneyland in a week and see better ones there. Yeah, sure, that went over like a lead balloon. They said it is tradtion and we have to. :rotfl:

Dismom+two
07-03-2011, 11:07 AM
I love the fireworks at Disney, great music etc however, my city puts on a pretty darn good July 4th show. I can not complain. Looking forward to them tomorrow night!! :love:

auroralark
07-03-2011, 11:54 AM
I only really like Disney fireworks. As I kid I didn't care for fireworks period, and now I won't go out of my way to see 4th of July fireworks. But I do make sure I see Wishes every trip!

TIGGERmetoo
07-03-2011, 12:00 PM
Yes I am spoiled by Disney's but we have a very good July 4th display. I enjoy it - especially with the patriotic music.

melmar136
07-03-2011, 12:01 PM
so funny, and true! I went with friends the other night to their town's fireworks display. My DD is away with her grandparents for the week and was sad she missed it. I talked to her the next morning, and she asked how the fireworks were. I said, "well, it was sure not Disney!" which made her laugh. ;)

EPCOT is a verb
07-03-2011, 12:09 PM

Yup. I agree.

dreweyj
07-03-2011, 12:18 PM
I guess we're pretty lucky. Rozzi's fireworks here in Cincinnati has actually done fireworks for Disney World, so sometimes there's a good show or two around the area since Rozzi does most all the fireworks around here too. Our Labor Day celebration on the Ohio River is one of the best ever.

Even so, I still know what everyone means. We ditched before they shot off the fireworks at our local amusement park last weekend because we knew we would be so critical of them after being accustomed to Disney's.

Gigi22
07-03-2011, 12:23 PM
We have an international fireworks competition locally every year--we go to the grand finale performance. Every bit as good as Disney, and we can watch it while enjoying our beverages of choice from our hotel room window, with the music piped in! The experience is similar to watching Disney fireworks over the Magic Kingdom from the club level lounge at the Poly!

chirurgeon
07-03-2011, 12:28 PM
I have to disagree. But then I live in Western PA home to Zambelli Fireworks, one of the best in the world. I just have problems with all the crowds. 300,000 people make me claustrophobic. I will enjoy them on my HD Plasma.

Kim

DeaverTex
07-03-2011, 01:19 PM
Here in central Texas, there pretty much ARE no fireworks displays this year because of the drought, and no fireworks sales either (unless governor Goodhair -- that's Perry, if you care -- hasn't supported the counties that have asked for the ban.) I think that Georgetown (north of Austin) is still planning on something, but they're not the best around by a long shot and they'll be horrendously crowded because they're the only game in town.

k5jmh
07-03-2011, 01:44 PM
Here in central Texas, there pretty much ARE no fireworks displays this year because of the drought, and no fireworks sales either (unless governor Goodhair -- that's Perry, if you care -- hasn't supported the counties that have asked for the ban.) I think that Georgetown (north of Austin) is still planning on something, but they're not the best around by a long shot and they'll be horrendously crowded because they're the only game in town.
The local officials here have canceled all the fireworks North of Houston also. But the City of Houston is having the "Largest land based fireworks in the Country" (that is what the commercials say) and some towns south of Houston are having fireworks. The news did remind people that it is NOT ok to shoot your guns instead of fireworks this year. :rotfl2:

wishspirit
07-03-2011, 03:19 PM
I agree. It doesn't help that Bonfire Night in the UK is in November, when it is cold, wet and windy. Never much fun!

Becx N Gav
07-03-2011, 03:56 PM
I agree. It doesn't help that Bonfire Night in the UK is in November, when it is cold, wet and windy. Never much fun!

Yeah I remember cold wet nights waiting for a couple of fireworks :lmao: And I remember the soup that is so hot it burns your tounge :sad2:

simonkodousek
07-03-2011, 04:04 PM
The Fourth of July fireworks around here don't even begin to compare to the Disney fireworks. I watched one of the local shows from the patio at Starbucks last night and it was beyond pathetic. The fireworks lasted for barely five minutes...

ToddyLu
07-03-2011, 04:12 PM
:thumbsup2 DH and I were in the park by chance the first night they ever did Wishes. I think someone in the crowd said there were 75,000 people in the park. The other parks had closed early and the interstate I think closed to people trying to get on property. Anyway,we had no idea what we were in for. DH and I were both speechless and just looked at each other at the end. Then we could see a human flood of people leaving the park. It was the most people I will ever see in my lifetime and it was spectacular. No one does them like disney--

Now I look around and watch other people enjoy them--those that think they are done after the first song, then their expression when there is more to come.

I also felt in awe when DH and I saw Osborne Lights for the first time. I actually lost it on that one--but good tears, it had been a bad year. Instantly all the bad was erased. Only Disney can do that.

disneysteve
07-03-2011, 05:47 PM
I just hate going with all the crowds and parking to go see the city fireworks.

Yep. That's us, too. I enjoy the local fireworks shows just fine. If I didn't have to drive and park and deal with the crowds, I'd be much more likely to go. Seeing fireworks at MK is great because we just walk out and hop on the monorail which takes us to our car and there isn't any big traffic jam to get out.

That said, we may actually go to the local display this year because we have a bunch of friends who are going.

stitchlover
07-04-2011, 09:46 PM
I'm so thankful for Disney fireworks. Here in Parker County, Texas we have a burn ban and a firework ban. I'm just not up for the drive in to Fort Worth or further East to find a display. I'll hold off until our next visit and remember the ones this past March.

Yvet
07-05-2011, 05:41 AM
Fireworks are only fireworks when you are at Disney (in America)!!!!

I can't watch any other fireworks then when i'm at a disney park.
All the other fireworks are nothing when you compare it to Disney, i know i shouldn't compare but it just happens to me and i can't stop it.
So i stopped watching fireworks other then in a Disney park.

Even the fireworks at Disneyland Paris are bad when you compare it to Disney standards...
But it's better then a local firworks show.

dmccarty
07-05-2011, 07:22 AM
For some reason I have never been that big of a fan of fireworks or parades. Fireworks are better than parades though. :rotfl:

Given that the Fourth of July fireworks are on the Fourth of July, it is HOT and HUMID. :laughing: I would rather be in the AC. :rotfl: However, for years I have worked a Fourth of July fireworks event. Sometimes I get to see a bit of the show, lately not so much.

Nothing compared to WDW. Not even close.

Last night I was working the fireworks. At 3:30 there was no rain on radar but there were storm warnings up for the counties bordering VA. At 3:45 pretty big storms had popped up in the border counties. When I left home at 4:30 I could see the big boomer clouds to the north. By 5:00 it was raining in buckets with strong winds. Rained even harder with a few breaks until 8:15 when the fireworks were canceled.

At least the rain dropped the temperature from 92 to 72! :banana:

The BEST fireworks show I have ever seen was at WDW. ;) It was on the kids first trip to WDW. We went to MSNSHP which was way too late for the kids at that age. We forgot the time and stood in line for the kids first ride on Dumbo.

I looked at the time and it was almost 9:00. :scared1::) We were on Dumbo when the fireworks started. The kids first ride on Dumbo was during the fireworks. :banana:

Tis hard to beat that fireworks show. Though the Illuminations Cruise tied it.

Later,
Dan

Fredd's Girl
07-05-2011, 09:55 AM
DH and I just had this discussion last night. Disney has totally ruined watching fireworks anywhere else! All the more reason to visit again and again!! :thumbsup2

ahausner7
07-05-2011, 10:28 AM
I Live in NYC and watched the Macys Fireworks and even those dont compare to disney.

Maybe they have some better fireworks, but the overall presentation pales in comparison to the disney fireworks experience. Having the lighting and music and environment at disney is far better than standing on a roof watching fireworks over the Hudson River.

sayhello
07-05-2011, 10:38 AM
Absolutely not! I *love* our local fireworks display! There's a local unofficial guy who shoots off all sorts of "smaller" stuff at the local city park, and then after he's done, we sit & watch the city's fireworks. I absolutely love them. Yes, Disney does a bang-up job of them (although their 4th of July show at Disneyland used to be WAY better than it is now), but I don't think they eclipse everything.

Now, Columbus does a big old magnificent display downtown a day or two before the 4th. They are just as good as Disney in my opinion. But I *HATE* the crowds, so I rarely go.

Sayhello

mainegal
07-05-2011, 11:00 AM
From the comfort of my air conditioned living room last night, I watched concert and fireworks from Washington DC, New York City and Boston. I was quite happy.

For in-person fireworks, I get my mine every couple years at Walt Disney World.

jacstangler
07-05-2011, 11:07 AM
I was at the MK last night by myself and the fireworks were spectacular. At one poing the castle was red, white, and blue. At the finale fireworks came from all four directions.. Before the finale the fireworks came from behind the castle as usual and at the same time from in front of the MK. I never saw that before. Becaue of the crowds I would not advise for small children on that day. I never saw a happy child all day. Disney had extra crowd control cast members and did an outstanding job. I had a great time while Christy worked. Ha Ha.

John

It'sWDW4me
07-05-2011, 11:24 AM

I'm soooo glad to hear that it's not just me. :rotfl:

One of my DB's and his kids love fireworks. He gets the roadside stand, do-it-yourself stuff and the kids are thrilled. I once was talking about a local baseball game that I had gone to and I said how I loved to cut out right before the fireworks because I get out of the parking lot much easier. He couldn't understand why I'd not stay for the fireworks or how Disney's could be THAT much better. :lmao: :lmao: silly man!

He learned last year when we all watched Wishes and Illuminations (love, love, love Illuminations) and Fantasmic! :love:

When we got back from our trip I asked him if he now understands why I don't bother sticking around for local fireworks. He just nodded. :thumbsup2

TheEpicPancake
07-05-2011, 11:28 AM
I admit it... I pulled up a YouTube video of the Disney 4th of July fireworks on my phone and played it to the fireworks I could see from my balcony. It ended right as the video's finale started so I watched Disney's finale and it made me tear up lol

tjmj9801
07-05-2011, 11:46 AM
I am. We didn't even bother watching them on tv. :sad2: Nothing compares to Disney fireworks.

skier_pete
07-05-2011, 12:07 PM

Ha, funny because we are in Buffalo...we go to the Amherst one at UB (University of Buffalo), and I was VERY, VERY impressed with last night's show. They set it to music, and I thought it was just the right length. (About 15 minutes.) Try that one next year.

We also compare to Disney, but of course it can't compete. However, I have to pay thousands to go to Disney, but the local firework show is "free" (Yeah, I know we pay taxes and all.) and I'm back in my own bed in 25 minutes.

MomiTo2SwtGuys
07-05-2011, 12:47 PM
If I had my Wishes CD in my car last night we were going to play it with our local fireworks. But, we had to listen to Lee Greenwood instead.:)
I'm not complaining though.

Experiment_626
07-05-2011, 01:07 PM
We did go to the fireworks display last night in Panama City Beach at Pier Park. It was fine, as far as it goes -- in terms of number of fireworks bursts, Disney doesn't compete. This was a full 20 minutes of a constant stream of fireworks, with a pretty intense finale. However, there was nothing but fireworks -- no music, certainly no story -- no show. It was kind of cool to see the fireworks over the gulf, but they were all fired from the same point. There was some variation in height, but none of the wide view you get at WDW. And while there's always a crunch to get out of the Magic Kingdom at the end of the night, especially if you leave right at the end of Wishes, that's nothing compared to what we experienced. We waited at least an hour before we even ventured toward the parking lot (Pier Park is a large outdoor shopping mall right across the street from the beach, so if you go toward the front center to watch, it's a little like watching from down Main Street), but police were only directing traffic at the lot exits. We waited an hour or more before we even bothered to get in the car, and (at this point it had been more than two hours since the fireworks ended) it still took another half-hour-plus to get out of the parking lot.

There was a nice atmosphere and the kids had fun. A live band did some good stuff after the fireworks. And the fireworks were nice for what they were. But I doubt we'd go back again. Frankly, I don't think the crowds at the Magic Kingdom could be worse, especially if you're in no hurry to leave -- and we never are. Of course, you would have to get there early. I've been at the Studios on July 4th several years ago, when they still did Sorcery in the Sky on that day, and it was overall a better experience.

Scott

Jedana
07-05-2011, 01:17 PM
DS last night said "I guess only Disney has good fireworks. These are only in circles." He was quite cross with them...

I'm not quite sure what he meant, but he was definite in his opinion.

TXYankee
07-05-2011, 01:27 PM
I like local fireworks and Disney Fireworks. I think they each serve a different purpose and are both enjoyable!

Sitting on a blanket in the park with a picnic basket and friends Celebrating the 4th of July is what makes any fireworks display enjoyable (and free to boot!)

That is very different then Wishes in the Magic Kingdom!

Two weeks ago I went to Del Friscos, a very high end steak restaurant and had a FANTASTIC $100 meal. They consistently make the BEST steak I have ever eaten and I am willing to splurge occasionally on a dinner there.

Last night we cooked Costco steaks on the grill. They were good too! Del Friscos good? No! $7 worth of good? Absolutely!

Guess I find either experience valuable and worth the time and price!

heartsy77
07-05-2011, 02:16 PM
Me! I don't even bother going to other amusement parks either... Every non Disney vacation I always complain how much more we get for our $$$ in Disney!

FloridaDreaming
07-05-2011, 03:52 PM
Nothing like Disney fireworks! I don't bother with local ones. I don't bother with local theme parks either.

dmccarty
07-05-2011, 03:58 PM
Talked to a coworker today about fireworks. She said people started showing up at the fireworks venue at 2:00pm for a 9:00pmish show. They put down blankets or tarps to save their spot and then left.

Quite a few cities canceled the fireworks last night because of rain. The blankets and tarps had to be picked up and thrown away.

I guess these people go to WDW pools. :rotfl:

Later,
Dan

2Tiggies
07-05-2011, 04:10 PM
We are completely ruined by Disney Fireworks :lmao:

In the UK we have Guy Fawkes/Bonfire night and some of the cities put on a pretty spectacular display. We loved going (before we ever went to Disney). Now, to stand and watch fireworks not synchronised with music and narration is always missing something.

topolino
07-05-2011, 04:12 PM
Ha, funny because we are in Buffalo...we go to the Amherst one at UB (University of Buffalo), and I was VERY, VERY impressed with last night's show. They set it to music, and I thought it was just the right length. (About 15 minutes.) Try that one next year.

We also compare to Disney, but of course it can't compete. However, I have to pay thousands to go to Disney, but the local firework show is "free" (Yeah, I know we pay taxes and all.) and I'm back in my own bed in 25 minutes.

I wish I'd known that they were putting on a show at UB North Campus. I might've checked it out!

goofy-4-ever
07-05-2011, 04:17 PM
There is nothing like Disney fireworks :dance3:

Experiment_626
07-05-2011, 08:49 PM
We did go to the fireworks display last night in Panama City Beach at Pier Park. It was fine, as far as it goes -- in terms of number of fireworks bursts, Disney doesn't compete. This was a full 20 minutes of a constant stream of fireworks, with a pretty intense finale. However, there was nothing but fireworks -- no music, certainly no story -- no show. It was kind of cool to see the fireworks over the gulf, but they were all fired from the same point. There was some variation in height, but none of the wide view you get at WDW. And while there's always a crunch to get out of the Magic Kingdom at the end of the night, especially if you leave right at the end of Wishes, that's nothing compared to what we experienced. We waited at least an hour before we even ventured toward the parking lot (Pier Park is a large outdoor shopping mall right across the street from the beach, so if you go toward the front center to watch, it's a little like watching from down Main Street), but police were only directing traffic at the lot exits. We waited an hour or more before we even bothered to get in the car, and (at this point it had been more than two hours since the fireworks ended) it still took another half-hour-plus to get out of the parking lot.

There was a nice atmosphere and the kids had fun. A live band did some good stuff after the fireworks. And the fireworks were nice for what they were. But I doubt we'd go back again. Frankly, I don't think the crowds at the Magic Kingdom could be worse, especially if you're in no hurry to leave -- and we never are. Of course, you would have to get there early. I've been at the Studios on July 4th several years ago, when they still did Sorcery in the Sky on that day, and it was overall a better experience.

Scott

PinkBudgie
07-06-2011, 12:15 AM
Wow! Last night we didn't have to go to see the official city fireworks. Someone across the street from us and at the end of the street had some major up in the air fireworks! And let me tell you, all I could think about was something landing on a house and setting it on fire. Or, a miss-fire at people on the ground. The people down at the end of street must have been in the school field at least. They had big one after big one and all that was missing was the music. I can't even imagine how much that would cost. I think of Disneyland closing Toontown during fireworks and canceling them if the winds are too strong and these people are just launching them from the neighborhood.

DjChaos7
07-06-2011, 12:21 AM
My family, a few friends, and I just recently got back from WDW and while most of us have been there many times, I made it a point to get them to appreciate the fireworks display(s) in WDW this time since we'd be coming home so close to the 4th of July. I must say, now that they really paid attention to them as a 'show' and not just fireworks, we were watching the 4th of July fireworks and all agreed that after seeing what WDW offers, everything else just seems so subpar.

miralys
07-07-2011, 09:20 AM
I'm also in the "spoiled by Disney fireworks" category.

Actually, I am almost in a depression right now. After the AWESOME fireworks show at Last Tour to Endor, I am not sure ANY fireworks could ever amaze me again. :love: