PDA

View Full Version : The DIS Book Club Discussion Group: Round 8 - The Hunger Games

*NikkiBell*
06-28-2011, 08:34 PM
Hi All!

:welcome: to the DIS Book Club Discussion Group. We will be reading:

http://collider.com/wp-content/uploads/hunger_games_book_cover_011.jpg

The Hunger Games
by Suzanne Collins

Over the next several weeks, we will read and share our thoughts on the novel in this thread. Anyone who is interested in joining us is welcome. You could be a first time poster or a regular visitor to the DIS. Either way, we'd love to have you!

Please check this post in the near future for updates including a reading schedule and any other goodies that may come our way.

See you soon!

Nikki

Novel Synopsis
from Official Website (http://www.thehungergames.co.uk/about_the_book)

Twenty-four are forced to enter. Only the winner survives. In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. Each year, the districts are forced by the Capitol to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the Hunger Games, a brutal and terrifying fight to the death - televised for all of Panem to see.

Survival is second nature for sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen, who struggles to feed her mother and younger sister by secretly hunting and gathering beyond the fences of District 12. When Katniss steps in to take the place of her sister in the Hunger Games, she knows it may be her death sentence. If she is to survive, she must weigh survival against humanity and life against love.

WINNING WILL MAKE YOU FAMOUS. LOSING MEANS CERTAIN DEATH.

Official Book Trailer

Are you ready for The Hunger Games? Click here (http://youtu.be/6TnxXoMpF3c)to watch the official book trailer and find out more!

Read the First Chapter

You can read the first chapter of The Hunger Games here (http://www.thehungergames.co.uk/download/hunger_games_sample_chapter.pdf).

Listen to the First Chapter

Do you like to be read to? Listen to the first chapter of the novel here (http://www.thehungergames.co.uk/download/hunger_games_sample_chapter.mp3).

Additional Downloads (Desktop Wallpaper, Bookmark, etc.)

Looking to get in the spirit? Visit this site (http://www.scholastic.com/thehungergames/downloads/index.htm) for desktop wallpaper for your PC and more!

Praise for The Hunger Games
Warning: Some spoilers are given...

"If you are looking for something to grip your kids after an orgy of Xbox, The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins is it... Plunge in because this is rip-roaring, bare-knuckle adventure of the best kind, and destined to be an even bigger hit than Stephenie Meyer's Twilight.... It would be giving away too much to describe all the twists this absorbing and morally challenging novel throws up, but it is a real humdinger that adults, too, would love. In the renewed debate about why boys aren't reading, The Hunger Games would be the perfect antidote - if only schools had the wit to choose it for a class reader." - The Times

"As negative Utopias go, Suzanne Collins has created a dilly. The United States is gone. North America has become Panem, a TV-dominated dictatorship run from a city called the Capitol. The rest of Panem is divided into 12 Districts (the former 13th had the bad judgment to revolt and no longer exists). The yearly highlight in this nightmare world is the Hunger Games, a bloodthirsty reality TV show in which 24 teenagers chosen by lottery - two from each District - fight each other in a desolate environment called the "arena." The winner gets a life of ease; the losers get death. The only "unspoken rule" is that you can't eat the dead contestants. Let's see the makers of the movie version try to get a PG-13 on this baby.

Our heroine is Katniss Everdeen (lame name, cool kid), a resident of District 12, which used to be Appalachia. She lives in a desperately poor mining community called the Seam, and when her little sister's name is chosen as one of the contestants in the upcoming Hunger Games, Katniss volunteers to take her place. A gutsy decision, given the fact that District 12 hasn't produced a Hunger Games winner in 30 years or so, making them the Chicago Cubs of the postapocalypse world. Complicating her already desperate situation is her growing affection for the other District 12 contestant, a clueless baker's son named Peeta Mellark. Further complicating her situation is her sorta-crush on her 18-year-old hunting partner, Gale. Gale isn't clueless; Gale is smoldering. Says so right on page 14.

The love triangle is fairly standard teen-read stuff; what 16-year-old girl wouldn't like to have two interesting guys to choose from? The rest of The Hunger Games, however, is a violent, jarring speed--rap of a novel that generates nearly constant suspense and may also generate a fair amount of controversy. I couldn't stop reading, and once I got over the main character's name (Gale calls her Catnip - ugh), I got to like her a lot. And although "young adult novel" is a dumbbell term I put right up there with "jumbo shrimp" and "airline food" in the oxymoron sweepstakes, how many novels so categorized feature one character stung to death by monster wasps and another more or less eaten alive by mutant werewolves? I say more or less because Katniss, a bow-and-arrow Annie Oakley, puts the poor kid out of his misery before the werewolves can get to the prime cuts.

Collins is an efficient no-nonsense prose stylist with a pleasantly dry sense of humor. Reading The Hunger Games is as addictive (and as violently simple) as playing one of those shoot-it-if-it-moves videogames in the lobby of the local eightplex; you know it's not real, but you keep plugging in quarters anyway. Balancing off the efficiency are displays of authorial laziness that kids will accept more readily than adults. When Katniss needs burn cream or medicine for Peeta, whom she more or less babysits during the second half of the book, the stuff floats down from the sky on silver parachutes. And although the bloody action in the arena is televised by multiple cameras, Collins never mentions Katniss seeing one. Also, readers of Battle Royale (by Koushun Takami), The Running Man, or The Long Walk (those latter two by some guy named Bachman) will quickly realize they have visited these TV badlands before.

But since this is the first novel of a projected trilogy, it seems to me that the essential question is whether or not readers will care enough to stick around and find out what comes next for Katniss. I know I will. But then, I also have a habit of playing Time Crisis until all my quarters are gone." - Stephen King, Entertainment Weekly Online

"Suzanne Collins' plot rattles along with plenty of action and suspense. It's only a matter of time before the movie version follows." - News of the World

Reading Schedule

Obtain Copy of Book by June 30
Read through Part I - The Tributes by July 5
Read through Part II - The Games by July 9
Read through Part III - The Victor by July 12

(This schedule will be adjusted, if necessary, according to how quickly or slowly we absorb the text. Move at your own pace and enjoy it! Don't stress!)

Book Club Discussions

One of the best parts about the DIS Unplugged Book Club is that we can share ideas about our reading here online. In order to keep our discussions moving, I will post conversation starters about each section. Feel free to post a reply with your thoughts or other ideas you had while reading that relate to a topic of your own.

If you read ahead of the above schedule, please change the text color to white so you do not give away parts of the plot that the rest of us have not read. Remember, your participation in the discussion will make this a more rewarding experience. Post away! Don't feel as if you need to wait for me to bring up a topic to discuss it. This is your group and there isn't such a thing as a reply that is too little or too big!

Discussion Point #1 - Initial Impressions (http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=41718865&postcount=23)

Discussion Point #2 - Tributes & Stylists (http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=41809930&postcount=54)

Discussion Point #3 - The Cruelty of the Hunger Games (http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=41884009&postcount=77)

Discussion Point #4 - The Movie (http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=41968612&postcount=95)

GoofyforDisney3
06-28-2011, 09:23 PM
:cool1: I just purchased it for my Nook. Not ready to start reading yet since I have two books that I'm working on right now, but this way I'm ready to go when the discussions all start. Plus, I'll avoid the price increase that could happen when we all start buying the book. :rotfl:

JVL1018
06-28-2011, 09:59 PM
Hi!:thumbsup2

THE3jsmom
06-29-2011, 01:12 PM
I will love to discuss, I have completed the series but I love a good conversation!!!

sayhello
06-29-2011, 01:26 PM
I just started reading this! I just hope I can keep up with you guys.

Sayhello

DreaGirl
06-29-2011, 01:35 PM
I have already read all 3 books, but I would love to discuss it. No spoilers, I promise.

Aburns8
06-29-2011, 04:03 PM
I am hoping to pick it up tonight. I will be in the car for 24 hours between Friday and Monday and I am hoping to get some reading done!

PinkBudgie
06-29-2011, 06:06 PM
I just bought it on my Kindle. I will start reading a little tonight. I'm also reading 2nd Chance so that will keep me from reading too far ahead.

Aburns8
06-30-2011, 03:29 PM
Got the book last night. I am going to start reading it tomorrow! It looks like an easy enough read.

bkoehl
06-30-2011, 06:17 PM
FYI, plan on dedicating a chunk of time to this book, as once you pick it up you won't want to put it down! Also, just go buy books 2 and 3 now 'cause you're gonna want to read them too!

*NikkiBell*
06-30-2011, 08:19 PM
I am very excited that you all are joining us!!! :cool1:

Aburns8
06-30-2011, 08:24 PM
FYI, plan on dedicating a chunk of time to this book, as once you pick it up you won't want to put it down! Also, just go buy books 2 and 3 now 'cause you're gonna want to read them too!

I guess my DH is going to have to drive all the way to MI tomorrow :rotfl2:

nmoore14
07-01-2011, 11:01 AM
I just finished this book, but I can't wait to reread it with everyone!!

linnell
07-01-2011, 11:23 AM

This. I always tell people that once they get to page 100 or so, they just need to break all plans because you want to put it down. I also suggest if you do have to stop reading, stop in the middle of a chapter, because Collins ends her chapters with such amazing cliffhangers you have to keep reading to find out what happens next.

sayhello
07-01-2011, 12:38 PM
This. I always tell people that once they get to page 100 or so, they just need to break all plans because you want to put it down. I also suggest if you do have to stop reading, stop in the middle of a chapter, because Collins ends her chapters with such amazing cliffhangers you have to keep reading to find out what happens next.Thanks for this! I'm doing a show next weekend, and was planning on reading while I'm not on stage. I *will* not open Hunger Games, because the last thing I need is to miss an entrance because I got engrossed in a book!!!! :scared1:

Sayhello

PinkBudgie
07-01-2011, 07:14 PM
Ok, I already read two chapters last night. I'll stop there and wait. Good thing I have another book to read. :)

*NikkiBell*
07-01-2011, 07:29 PM
Update: I have posted a tentative reading schedule in the first post. Here we go!!!!! Let the games begin! :)

ninecrayons
07-03-2011, 02:07 PM
I'm away from home at the moment, but once I'm home I'll catch up on my reading. It'll be my second time reading THG, but my first since I've read the series through.

I have to say it took me a while to get into the book - the beginning is so exposition heavy, though necessary. I have to agree, you won't want to put it down and you will want to get books 2&3 ASAP.

The movie comes out March 23rd, 2012. Maybe we could do a GKTW fundraiser around that?

PinkBudgie
07-03-2011, 07:51 PM
Ok, I read the first part of the book so I'll stop and wait for everyone. ;) Very interesting but I won't comment more than that so I don't spoil anything yet.

disneydreamgirl
07-03-2011, 10:05 PM
Just finished up Freedom, so I can now begin our selection...picked it up yesterday along with the other two in the trilogy as well as two Young Bond selections and The Eagle of the Ninth Chronicles for DS...didn't stop there due to a buy three get a fourth free deal, so I'm all set for The Discovery of Witches and Before I Go To Sleep whether or not they are next...thank goodness for a couple of giftcards to ease the bill!

Can't wait to get into The Hunger Games with all of you!

MommyTaraLee
07-04-2011, 01:00 PM
So, this is my 1st jump into the book club discussion group.... but it sounds like fun and I was looking for a new book to read! Whoever said you won;t be able to put it down as absolutely right! I started the book halfway through my vacation last week, and finished it before the week was up! So much for hiking in the mountains.... but at least I had beautiful scenery while I was reading!

djblu883
07-04-2011, 10:34 PM
So far its not got me...hope it gets better as predicted!!!! ABout to climb in bed and read more...

*NikkiBell*
07-04-2011, 11:19 PM
Woohoo! Keep the momentum going everybody! If you're just popping in, the reading schedule and discussion info is in the first post. So far, what's everyone think? Likes? Dislikes? :)

PinkBudgie
07-05-2011, 11:41 AM
Well, so far I like it. I was interested right away. It's a version of Distopia I haven't come across before. I just can't even imagine what could happen next so I'm looking forward to finding out. I can see how this would make an interesting movie because the people who live in the Capitol sound like they look very odd they way they are described.

sayhello
07-05-2011, 12:19 PM
I'd been very curious about this book for a while. My friend's teenage daughter has been raving about it, and I've heard other good things. So far, I'm really intrigued. It's a really interesting premise, and the world is well thought-out and fully fleshed. I really didn't mind all the exposition at the start; it seemed to flow nicely and fit the narrative. I've been a bit too busy recently to do the "can't put it down" bit, but I *have* been sneaking a read in far more often than I had been, lately. I care about the characters (and found that had occurred pretty early on!) and that's really important to me.

Sayhello

disneydreamgirl
07-05-2011, 12:45 PM
Ummm...work is getting in the way of my reading!

I'm about 70 pages in and was drawn into this story quite quickly...compelling characters, exciting storyline, fascinating setting...can't ask for much more. I'm happy that I purchased the trilogy as I can see I will be reading the rest of it right after we're done. I predict DS will read this in 'no time flat'.

NitroStitch
07-05-2011, 01:50 PM
I'm now 58% of the way through the book, and I really don't want to do anything other than keep reading! The exposition at the very beginning was a little slow, but before very long, the book took off, and now I'm dying to know what's next. I'll definitely be reading the other two books once this one is done.

Quite right about the cliffhangers at the end of the chapters - where DO we reach a stopping place? :rotfl:

Aburns8
07-05-2011, 02:00 PM
I didn't get as much read as I thought this weekend. I was so tired that the drive home yesterday I mostly slept. On the way up to MI I read a book that I started earlier in the week. I am on chapter 3. I really want to read how this plays out since the idea of children killing each other seems a little odd for a young adult book.

SevrenLuna
07-05-2011, 02:13 PM
I read The Hunger Games back in March and loved the trilogy :love:. I just happen to be rereading the first book when I came across this thread. I am a first time book club poster. :bitelip: It is amazing how much you miss the first time around. I really like Katniss’ devotion to Prim. I am really excited to see how the movie adaptation handles the violence of the games and keep a PG13 rating popcorn::.

crostorfer
07-06-2011, 08:59 AM
I am absolutely OBSESSED with The Hunger Games! I just saw this thread and had to comment, because I finished the first book a mere 8 hours after I purchased it. I couldn't put it down. I would love to discuss it here, I promise not to spit out spoilers.

crostorfer
07-06-2011, 09:04 AM
Katniss lost her father at a young age and then as a result became the head of household in a sense after her mother mentally checked out. Understandable that it would make one a little bit bitter, but it amazes me that Katniss is so oblivious to the fact that these boys are completely in love with her.

ninecrayons
07-06-2011, 09:32 AM
Katniss lost her father at a young age and then as a result became the head of household in a sense after her mother mentally checked out. Understandable that it would make one a little bit bitter, but it amazes me that Katniss is so oblivious to the fact that these boys are completely in love with her.

I think Katniss' naivete is one of the more difficult things to handle as an adult reader of these books. While it fits in a teen sense, it's harder to make sense of as an adult.

PinkBudgie
07-06-2011, 12:10 PM
Well, she doesn't come from the "town" part of the district. She doesn't wear pretty things so she probably doesn't think of herself in that way.

disneydreamgirl
07-06-2011, 12:17 PM
I find this character trait to be believable - she's young and has had her attentions diverted to much more dire areas for a long time. I'd like to discuss my reasons further however I don't want to spill any beans for anyone...I'm loathe to find out even the tiniest detail before reading it myself!

Loving this book...just wish I had more time to read it prior to bed when I find myself with the book suddenly dropped on my face as I fall asleep...several times in a row, in fact, because I'm trying to read just that little bit more! :rotfl:

labdogs42
07-06-2011, 02:13 PM
I just read the whole triolgy over the Fourth of July weekend. Now I think I'll go back and re-read the first book so that I can participate in the discussion!

PinkBudgie
07-06-2011, 04:45 PM
This morning I woke up and sat in bed reading for awhile. DH even brought me coffee in bed. :) Then suddenly I had finished part 2. I'll try to hold back and read something else tonight but not sure if I can. ;) Besides, I'd like to finish it before we leave for DLR on Sunday.

djblu883
07-06-2011, 07:07 PM
[QUOTE=PinkBudgie;41740834]This morning I woke up and sat in bed reading for awhile. DH even brought me coffee in bed. :) Then suddenly I had finished part 2. I'll try to hold back and read something else tonight but not sure if I can. ;) Besides, I'd like to finish it before we leave for DLR on Sunday.[

Well I have to say its getting better!!! I was on my iphone reading it at lunch with my nook appsince I don't want to carry my Nook...and I really didn't want to stop reading and go back to work. Still on part one since I'm working so hard right now and so many hours but YEAH I like it! I'm liking Katniss and I'm going to believe she will triumph in battle!!!...But I 'm hoping her partner doesn't have to be killed off and they both get away!!! Don't spoil it for me!!! ;)

NitroStitch
07-06-2011, 09:46 PM
I just finished the book this evening after getting home from work. I HAD to finish...just couldn't wait any longer to see what happened! I'll definitely be downloading the rest of the trilogy on my Kindle now! popcorn::

PinkBudgie
07-06-2011, 11:41 PM
I just finished the book this evening after getting home from work. I HAD to finish...just couldn't wait any longer to see what happened! I'll definitely be downloading the rest of the trilogy on my Kindle now! popcorn::

I'm sure I will be too as soon as I finish this book. Good thing I have a Kindle so I can buy it in seconds and have instant gratification. :rotfl:

NitroStitch
07-07-2011, 01:47 PM
I'm sure I will be too as soon as I finish this book. Good thing I have a Kindle so I can buy it in seconds and have instant gratification. :rotfl:

Don't ya just love being able to do that?! Of course, that can get expensive too... :rotfl2: I am starting book 2 now...just can't resist. :)

sayhello
07-07-2011, 02:07 PM
Don't ya just love being able to do that?! Of course, that can get expensive too... :rotfl2: I am starting book 2 now...just can't resist. :)Hey, I just broke down & bought all 3 at once. They weren't that expensive at the Sony store. :)

Sayhello

Mary Jo
07-07-2011, 04:04 PM
I have this book on my Kindle, but haven't read it yet. I'd like to try and join the book club this time. :)

NitroStitch
07-07-2011, 07:30 PM
I have this book on my Kindle, but haven't read it yet. I'd like to try and join the book club this time. :)

I'd had the book on my Kindle for many months but just didn't get a chance to read it until I had a good excuse. Now I'm starting the second book in the trilogy. ;)

Sooze
07-08-2011, 05:27 PM
May I join in on the Hunger Games fun? My friends introduced me to the trilogy and I read it in a weekend... didn't sleep, eat, or talk to my children for 48 hours!! I was so hooked. ((I exaggerate just a bit))

Did everyone know there is a movie already in production for The Hunger Games!? I'm glad y'all are reading it first, since movies RARELY do the books any justice! Still excited about seeing it on the big screen, tho!:banana:

NitroStitch
07-08-2011, 07:00 PM
May I join in on the Hunger Games fun? My friends introduced me to the trilogy and I read it in a weekend... didn't sleep, eat, or talk to my children for 48 hours!! I was so hooked. ((I exaggerate just a bit))

Did everyone know there is a movie already in production for The Hunger Games!? I'm glad y'all are reading it first, since movies RARELY do the books any justice! Still excited about seeing it on the big screen, tho!:banana:

I usually try to read the book before seeing a movie for that reason! I totally understand (nearly) reading the whole trilogy in one weekend. Given less going on, I probably would have done the same. :)

*NikkiBell*
07-08-2011, 07:07 PM

:welcome: I am so glad you are joining us! :goodvibes

One of the reasons I was for reading The Hunger Games is because of the movie that's being made. I'm eager to see how they pull it off, but like you, know it is going to be far different from the novel. That always happens and drives me batty. Hopefully they will at least do the major parts of the plot justice. :rolleyes:

MommyTaraLee
07-08-2011, 08:57 PM
I couldn't put them down... I ended up finishing the 3rd book today... the whole trilogy in 1 week! I guess that means I will be catching up on work and chores this weekend!

PinkBudgie
07-09-2011, 12:18 PM
Stayed up reading until 1am last night until DH made me turn off the light. :rotfl: I finished the first book this morning. LOVED IT! We are off to DLR tomorrow and I'm a afraid to buy the next book now or else I will stay up reading it when I need to get to bed early tonight. Even after I stop reading for the night, I still can't sleep for awhile because I'm thinking about it. This book really makes you think. Has anyone else found themselves thinking about it at times?

Sooze
07-09-2011, 12:53 PM
Has anyone else found themselves thinking about it at times?

::yes:: :wave2:

Totally!

disneydreamgirl
07-09-2011, 09:53 PM
::yes:: :wave2:

Totally!

Me too! I finished Part 2 today and can't wait to finish Book 1...I was up reading quite late last night as well. I carried the book around all over the place today hoping to have time and chance to read.

djblu883
07-09-2011, 10:18 PM
My schedule has me slammed right now and it's driving me insane that I don't have more time to read...They haven't started the games yet but are getting close I guess...it's starting to pick up and I wanna read more more more lolol...heading to bed now and hope I can stay awake long enough to read a few more pages! It's been a hard day's work!!! Chores afterwards made it even longer and I'm not off again until Fri.!!!! No rest for the weary but then again I work for Disney trips so away I go!!!!! No work no Disney World! Night all and pleasant dreams!:hippie:

FunkyFunBuckets
07-09-2011, 10:42 PM
Yea , so much for me promising myself I would pace myself this book I have finished it and the other 2 also. I really enjoyed them, a bit different to what I would usually read but really very interesting.

disneydreamgirl
07-11-2011, 09:36 PM
Finished #1 yesterday and started #2 last night...clearly none of us have any time to discuss these books because we are too busy practically inhabiting them!!! Great story...:love:

*NikkiBell*
07-11-2011, 10:23 PM
It looks like everyone is really doing well! I'm a little behind myself as I've been distracted by other things, but am enjoying the book. The events leading up to the opening ceremony have me thinking though. Why are the “tributes” really given stylists and dressed elaborately for the opening ceremony? Does this ceremony remind you of events in our world, either past or present?

dalt01
07-12-2011, 04:25 PM
its the bachelor.......survivor.....big brother etc, except the stakes are a little higher.........also Nikki may be refering to Gladiators.

Aburns8
07-12-2011, 04:36 PM
I finished the book yesterday! I want to continue to read the series, but I am waiting until I buy my Kindle for my b-day.

The opening ceremonies remind me a little of the Olympics. Every team has a stylist and we care about what they are wearing to represent their country.

dalt01
07-12-2011, 06:33 PM
The opening ceremonies remind me a little of the Olympics. your right...........i never thought of that.

djblu883
07-12-2011, 10:36 PM
I just finished the first book and already have the others to get started on. I can lend my first one out to you if you have a Nook! It gives you 10 days to read it before it comes back automatically to me! PM me if interested. I don't want to ruin anybody's reading so no comments yet but they are interesting. Not having watched any if the reality shows I really can't comment on that aspect but it does remind me of A female Percy Jackson type character without the "power" if an Olympic parent.:surfweb:

GoofyforDisney3
07-12-2011, 10:59 PM
I was so mad at myself this past weekend. I was on a quick trip from VA to PA and was all ready to read in the car on the way to and from and what did I do? Forget to download the stupid book to my Nook before leaving. (this ladies and gentlemen is why you should buy the 3G version :lmao:) So, I end up starting another book that I just had to finish before I could start Hunger Games.
Well, I finally got to start last night and I must say I'm liking it so far. Only read the first chapter last night before bed, but it I had a small aha moment when I figured out why it was called Hunger Games in the first place. :teacher: It helps if you can understand the title of the book you are reading. :rotfl:

I'm also in the same boat as many other people that I'm getting distracted with other things, like planning a trip to WDW and work. :laughing: But, I'm off to read now so hopefully will get another chapter read tonight.

NitroStitch
07-12-2011, 11:36 PM
I was getting a vibe that sort of combined the Running Man stakes and the Olympic-style pageantry. I guess the tributes had to be dressed up and made up, partly to match the overdone and artificial appearance of those in the Capitol. I would imagine the pageantry is also meant to gloss over some of the violence and the reality of what's going on, for those who can afford to gloss over it.

disneydreamgirl
07-13-2011, 07:39 AM
There's certainly a Roman throw-back here to the gladiator-style "games" that went on...lots of other parallels as well. I'm enjoying book 2 - hopefully will get a lot of time to read this weekend.

Aburns8
07-13-2011, 07:50 AM
There's certainly a Roman throw-back here to the gladiator-style "games" that went on...lots of other parallels as well. I'm enjoying book 2 - hopefully will get a lot of time to read this weekend.

It is like gladiator-style games. I really can't wait to see the movie. I have been picturing scenes in my head and it would be interesting to see what happens on the big screen.

sayhello
07-13-2011, 12:55 PM
I was getting a vibe that sort of combined the Running Man stakes and the Olympic-style pageantry. I guess the tributes had to be dressed up and made up, partly to match the overdone and artificial appearance of those in the Capitol. I would imagine the pageantry is also meant to gloss over some of the violence and the reality of what's going on, for those who can afford to gloss over it.I agree with that. They make everything pretty for the tender sensibilities of those in the Capitol. Sort of a "who wants to cheer for an ugly, dirty person?"

Sayhello

disneydreamgirl
07-13-2011, 12:56 PM
Hope for Book 2/ Sort of Spoiler: I'm looking forward to understanding the society - we've only had a sense of it from District 12's perspective and from the training centre. I'm hoping Book 2 will give a more rounded picture of the other side of things...

sayhello
07-13-2011, 01:01 PM
Hope for Book 2/ Sort of Spoiler: I'm looking forward to understanding the society - we've only had a sense of it from District 12's perspective and from the training centre. I'm hoping Book 2 will give a more rounded picture of the other side of things...Spoiler for Book 1 or Book 2? I've finished Book 1, so I wouldn't be spoiled for that...

Sayhello

MommyTaraLee
07-13-2011, 02:55 PM
The events leading up to the opening ceremony have me thinking though. Why are the “tributes” really given stylists and dressed elaborately for the opening ceremony? Does this ceremony remind you of events in our world, either past or present?

All of the pomp and pagentry made me think of the gladiators... but that could simply be because they mentioned chariots... I usually don't look past the obvious!

The opening ceremonies remind me a little of the Olympics. Every team has a stylist and we care about what they are wearing to represent their country.

That's a really good point... they were all made to dress in a way that represents their district, much like the Olympic athletes do even today.

its the bachelor.......survivor.....big brother etc, except the stakes are a little higher.........also Nikki may be refering to Gladiators.

Wow... I never would have thought of that (told you I usually only go with the obvious), but it's true. I can definitely see the tie in to the bachelor!

I was getting a vibe that sort of combined the Running Man stakes and the Olympic-style pageantry. I guess the tributes had to be dressed up and made up, partly to match the overdone and artificial appearance of those in the Capitol. I would imagine the pageantry is also meant to gloss over some of the violence and the reality of what's going on, for those who can afford to gloss over it.

I agree with that. They make everything pretty for the tender sensibilities of those in the Capitol. Sort of a "who wants to cheer for an ugly, dirty person?"

Sayhello

I agree with both of these.... I think styling the tributes the way they did helped the people of the Capitol see them more as pieces in a game, as opposed to real children.

Spoiler for Book 1 or Book 2? I've finished Book 1, so I wouldn't be spoiled for that...

Sayhello

I think it's more of a comment on the things left open after book 1, and the hopes for book 2....

sayhello
07-13-2011, 03:14 PM
I think it's more of a comment on the things left open after book 1, and the hopes for book 2....Thanks! I looked, and it was. :goodvibes

Sayhello

disneydreamgirl
07-13-2011, 05:51 PM
Thanks! I looked, and it was. :goodvibes

Sayhello

I'm loathe to even give an inkling away 'cause I hate it when it happens to me...didn't want to take any chances!

dalt01
07-14-2011, 12:05 PM
its the bachelor.......survivor.....big brother etc, my point was that these are all voyueristic reality shows where the contestants are pealed down to one while we all watch with baited breath and revel in the pain of others...ya dont think people watch Nascar for the racing do ya...........:rotfl2:.............PS......is it narrasistic to "quote" your own post??????????

MommyTaraLee
07-14-2011, 12:09 PM
my point was that these are all voyueristic reality shows where the contestants are pealed down to one while we all watch with baited breath and revel in the pain of others...ya dont think people watch Nascar for the racing do ya...........:rotfl2:.............PS......is it narrasistic to "quote" your own post??????????

I think that was a really good observation, and one I never would have thought of on my own!

disneydreamgirl
07-14-2011, 12:15 PM
PS......is it narrasistic to "quote" your own post??????????

Maybe narcissistic, but for sure not what you said...:3dglasses (I love a good spelling joke...now that for sure makes me a bit of a nerd! :upsidedow)

dalt01
07-14-2011, 01:02 PM
Maybe narcissistic, but for sure not what you said...:3dglasses (I love a good spelling joke...now that for sure makes me a bit of a nerd! :upsidedow) and i ALWAYS ck before i click...almost always....oh well.

NitroStitch
07-16-2011, 07:00 PM
Aaaaaaaaaaagggghhhhh! :scared1:

I just had to say that. Just finished Book Two, and I can see why the whole trilogy becomes a must read together! I'm not saying another word.... popcorn::

GoofyforDisney3
07-17-2011, 11:36 AM

I just had to say that. Just finished Book Two, and I can see why the whole trilogy becomes a must read together! I'm not saying another word.... popcorn::

I was afraid of that. :lmao: I actually stayed up really late last night and fished the first book and when I got to the end I was like "uuurrggghhh! Now I have to get the second book and fast." :rotfl:

So, what is everyone up to now? Are we ready to start discussing more? Is this a book that is starting to be read in school? I would think it would be a good one for discussion in classes since it really has a lot of metaphors in it. It can be a very serious book and really make a person think or just be a interesting story to read.

sayhello
07-17-2011, 11:51 AM

I just had to say that. Just finished Book Two, and I can see why the whole trilogy becomes a must read together! I'm not saying another word.... popcorn::I stayed up really late last night, because I was *almost* done with book 2. *THINKING* "Oh, that will be a good place to stop". WRONG!!!!!!!!

I was afraid of that. :lmao: I actually stayed up really late last night and fished the first book and when I got to the end I was like "uuurrggghhh! Now I have to get the second book and fast." :rotfl:

So, what is everyone up to now? Are we ready to start discussing more? Is this a book that is starting to be read in school? I would think it would be a good one for discussion in classes since it really has a lot of metaphors in it. It can be a very serious book and really make a person think or just be a interesting story to read.I've just finished book 2, already into 3. I know it's being *read* by school kids; I don't know if it's actually a part of curriculums. I agree; it *should* be. What an amazing stepping point for all sorts of discussions on war, totalitarianism, giving up rights for safety, etc. I'm really impressed with these books!

Sayhello

NitroStitch
07-17-2011, 12:39 PM
I stayed up really late last night, because I was *almost* done with book 2. *THINKING* "Oh, that will be a good place to stop". WRONG!!!!!!!!

I've just finished book 2, already into 3. I know it's being *read* by school kids; I don't know if it's actually a part of curriculums. I agree; it *should* be. What an amazing stepping point for all sorts of discussions on war, totalitarianism, giving up rights for safety, etc. I'm really impressed with these books!

Sayhello

I know! I was thinking that finishing book 2 would be a stopping place. SO wrong...

These books would really be good high school reading for a lot of very interesting conversations...

We should pick up the discussions, though they should probably be led by someone who's not already on book 2 or 3. :rotfl2:

*NikkiBell*
07-17-2011, 11:58 PM
Just to get the ball rolling....

The Hunger Games is pretty controversial. What do you think is the cruelest part about it? Why?

RutgersAlum
07-18-2011, 10:30 AM
Jumping in here, finally. I had to finish The Help back when you guys started reading The Hunger Games; then when I was ready to join you, couldn't find it @ the library (very in demand book, guess you all knew that) so I ordered it from Amazon, and while waiting for it to come, read the Book Thief (two thumbs up, haunting, wow, might be a great selection for the Dis Book Club at some point)... So I just read Ch. 1 of The Hunger Games last night. And so far I am engaged, can't wait to continue.

Is this a book that is starting to be read in school? I would think it would be a good one for discussion in classes since it really has a lot of metaphors in it. It can be a very serious book and really make a person think or just be a interesting story to read.

I am a HS teacher--I have seen a number of students carrying this book around & reading it for pleasure, it's not part of their curriculum in my HS at least, but agreed, it would make for some compelling study in school.

GoofyforDisney3
07-18-2011, 10:57 AM
I finally used my brain to remember that Scholastic often has discussion question for teachers for books like this and did a search and found them! I'll type then out tonight and hopefully start the discussion.
Nikki, if I PM them to you can you add them to the first post(s)? That maybe the best way so they don't get lost.

sayhello
07-18-2011, 11:39 AM
Just to get the ball rolling....

The Hunger Games is pretty controversial. What do you think is the cruelest part about it? Why?There are a *lot* of cruel things about the Hunger Games, but, for some reason, what seems the cruelest to me is that people can volunteer to replace whoever gets chosen as the tribute. If it was mandatory the person chosen goes, then they can be angry with the Capitol, and with the randomness of the world or whatever. But if someone *chooses* to go to save someone else (like Katniss did) then they could end up really only blaming themselves. I think that's cruel.

Sayhello

dalt01
07-18-2011, 01:15 PM
The Hunger Games is pretty controversial. What do you think is the cruelest part about it? Why? cruelty aside i find the Orwellian theme to be the most interesting, it is used for observation, information and disinformation throughout the piece. if you step back and analyze it, these tactics are in use today, abeit on a much less obvious level. the cruelty in that society is only there for the shock value, to keep the public in line.

NitroStitch
07-18-2011, 01:37 PM
There are so many horribly cruel things about The Hunger Games, and I'm having a hard time isolating just one. Forcing starving families to put in names of their children additional times just to have a small, lousy additional share of food and supplies for the family...forcing children to hunt and kill each other and being dressed up and made to perform and say certain things before the nightmarish games begin...all the control, abuse and starvation even before the reaping starts...playing and begging for sponsors just to have the slightest chance in the games... The things the Gamemakers do to "make things interesting" and add to the carnage are also terribly cruel.

I hope I haven't included things that are beyond our reading schedule! So many of us have been so captured by the book(s) that we're far beyond the initial schedule, and I don't remember the stopping point now that I'm working on this post. (insert sheepish look here)

Aburns8
07-18-2011, 01:44 PM
There are so many horribly cruel things about The Hunger Games, and I'm having a hard time isolating just one. Forcing starving families to put in names of their children additional times just to have a small, lousy additional share of food and supplies for the family...forcing children to hunt and kill each other and being dressed up and made to perform and say certain things before the nightmarish games begin...all the control, abuse and starvation even before the reaping starts...playing and begging for sponsors just to have the slightest chance in the games... The things the Gamemakers do to "make things interesting" and add to the carnage are also terribly cruel.

I hope I haven't included things that are beyond our reading schedule! So many of us have been so captured by the book(s) that we're far beyond the initial schedule, and I don't remember the stopping point now that I'm working on this post. (insert sheepish look here)

I agree with you. I still can't get over that they make children kill each other.

MommyTaraLee
07-18-2011, 02:09 PM

I agree with you. I still can't get over that they make children kill each other.

I agree with both of these... To me the worst part of it all was that they were kids.

GoofyforDisney3
07-18-2011, 07:56 PM
Okay everyone, I sent Nikki a PM with all of the questions I found so we can really start this discussion, without worrying about getting ahead of our self and give away anything.

To get us started, here is the first question:

1. How does Katniss feel about the country of Panem? Why does she need to make her face “an indifferent mask” and be careful what she says in public?

I think Katniss feels like she may have a chance of not being picked for the games and if she can manage to keep her feelings hidden, she may increase that chance. I know the selection process was supposed to be a fair pick by choosing the name, but I'm finding it hard to believe that a country that wants/needs to have so much control over the people and how things are done, would actually allow this to happen. I think she knows this and trys to keep her skills in hunting hidden.

djblu883
07-18-2011, 08:32 PM
The book started off slow but once it got started it really got ya going! I didn't want to put it down. It was one of those books you wanted to scream at some of the characters and try to help others. I really hated when They killed off one tribute in particular but I'll keep that to myself for the other readers...it's a good read and already well into # 2!

Okay everyone, I sent Nikki a PM with all of the questions I found so we can really start this discussion, without worrying about getting ahead of our self and give away anything.

To get us started, here is the first question:

1. How does Katniss feel about the country of Panem? Why does she need to make her face “an indifferent mask” and be careful what she says in public?

I think Katniss feels like she may have a chance of not being picked for the games and if she can manage to keep her feelings hidden, she may increase that chance. I know the selection process was supposed to be a fair pick by choosing the name, but I'm finding it hard to believe that a country that wants/needs to have so much control over the people and how things are done, would actually allow this to happen. I think she knows this and trys to keep her skills in hunting hidden.

*NikkiBell*
07-18-2011, 08:39 PM
I finally used my brain to remember that Scholastic often has discussion question for teachers for books like this and did a search and found them! I'll type then out tonight and hopefully start the discussion.
Nikki, if I PM them to you can you add them to the first post(s)? That maybe the best way so they don't get lost.

I posted links to the first three questions (one was posted very recently) we have been working with in the first thread already. Feel free to keep discussing other topics. I rather steer clear of a "Question and Answer" approach as it limits the discussion. I'll throw in a few topics when the conversation dies down. :)

*NikkiBell*
07-18-2011, 08:54 PM
Just for clarification....

At this point, everyone should have finished reading the first book. I am so excited to hear that many of you have moved onto the others! :thumbsup2 Please try and limit your conversations to the first book in case others aren't reading Book 2 or 3 as of yet (or at all). Refer to the first post in this thread for information about our discussions. I've posted links to each discussion point there for easy reference. Also, be sure to read previous replies to keep current with what is being discussed. I'd hate for you to miss something you want to talk about!

Because this is a book club discussion, let's see where the conversation goes! We're going to be writing a book report here so if you have something you'd like to bring up, do so. Otherwise, jump in by responding to a discussion point topic or something another DISer has brought up. The discussion has been going quite well so far. Keep it going! :)

PinkBudgie
07-20-2011, 01:38 AM
I just got back from DLR yesterday. I finished book one before I left and downloaded the second. I started reading book 2 in the car on the way down but didn't read it at night because I knew I wouldn't want to stop and I had to be ready to get up early and go to the parks everyday!

I'm glad that I came back in time to discuss the first book. I was afraid I would miss it. So, discussing only book one: (don't read this if you haven't finished the first book)

The most horrifying part was when they had to fight off the "monsters" near the end of the games and finding out who they were.

Did anyone see the latest Tron movie? I kept picturing some of the Capitol people like the ones in the End of the Line club. Especially I kept picturing Ceasar (the tv interviewer) as looking like Castor, the owner of the club in Tron. Except I guess the Capitol people dye their skin different colors. But I just imagine them along those lines.

Just google Tron Castor if you want to see a picture of him or check on youtube for his clip in the movie.

Also interesting to note that everything Katniss did was for the cameras. Little looks, a touch, and so on. It was all to gain public favor and sponsors. It makes me wonder how much of "reality" tv "stars" today do the same thing.

Aburns8
07-20-2011, 08:32 AM
Also interesting to note that everything Katniss did was for the cameras. Little looks, a touch, and so on. It was all to gain public favor and sponsors. It makes me wonder how much of "reality" tv "stars" today do the same thing.

It is like reality television. I am guessing that a lot of the "stars" on reality TV do certain things just to get air time. Katniss knew that she was being watched and knew what she would have to do to get what she needed.

sayhello
07-23-2011, 07:59 PM
I just finished reading the 3rd book, and all I have to say is :eek: .

Sayhello

disneydreamgirl
07-24-2011, 12:02 PM
I just finished reading the 3rd book, and all I have to say is :eek: .

Sayhello

I hear ya! I'm 2/3 through Book 3 and it is rivetting. I am determined to finish it today...may I'll have to sneak out of the house, find a Starbucks and turn off my phone. On second thought, I need to find a better hideout because it would probably be the first place DH and DS would look! :lmao:

djblu883
07-24-2011, 02:51 PM
I'm into book 3 now and have to say I really don't want to do anything else until I finish it but real life of course gets into the way. I'm not liking that things seem to go from bad to worse but of course that is how to keep it going and your interest to the point of obsession. I love the excitement and unpredictable content.Just as you think you know what is going to happen next it has a twist! I've already bought another book by the same writer BRAVO!!!:banana:

disneydreamgirl
07-24-2011, 03:52 PM
Success! Loved, loved, loved it. This is one well-crafted trilogy.

*NikkiBell*
07-24-2011, 07:51 PM
So now that everyone is really moving through the trilogy, what are your hopes for the upcoming movie? Do you think they'll tie in the other two books or make sequels as is the case with Harry Potter?

Aburns8
07-24-2011, 07:57 PM
So now that everyone is really moving through the trilogy, what are your hopes for the upcoming movie? Do you think they'll tie in the other two books or make sequels as is the case with Harry Potter?

I am pretty sure they are doing a trilogy of movies.

disneydreamgirl
07-24-2011, 08:20 PM
I am pretty sure they are doing a trilogy of movies.

I sure hope so...jamming three into one or even two would not do the story justice.

sayhello
07-24-2011, 08:33 PM
So now that everyone is really moving through the trilogy, what are your hopes for the upcoming movie? Do you think they'll tie in the other two books or make sequels as is the case with Harry Potter?When they can make 3 times as much money by making 3 movies? Come on, now! Since splitting The Deathly Hallows into 2 movies was so successful, they're now splitting the last Twilight movie into 2 parts! They're going to stretch out these books as far as they can!!!

(Besides, the characters from books 2 & 3 aren't in the cast list for the movies! )

I've seen photos of Jennifer Lawrence done up as Katniss, and she looks really good! I think Woody Harrelson as Haymitch is an odd bit of casting, but he *could* pull it off. I'm really curious as to how they're going to do "The girl on fire" in the chariots.

Sayhello

PinkBudgie
07-25-2011, 01:24 AM
When is the movie supposed to be out? I'm half way through the second book. I woke up this morning thinking about what will happen next.

sayhello
07-25-2011, 01:26 AM
When is the movie supposed to be out? I'm half way through the second book. I woke up this morning thinking about what will happen next.March of 2012.

Sayhello

PinkBudgie
07-26-2011, 02:04 PM
That's still a long way off. I'm looking forward to seeing how they dress the people from the Capitol. :)

Aburns8
07-26-2011, 02:21 PM
That's still a long way off. I'm looking forward to seeing how they dress the people from the Capitol. :)

I agree. It would be interesting to see how they portray that look. From the sounds of it, it may be quite commical.

*NikkiBell*
07-26-2011, 09:43 PM
I'm hoping they don't make it as cheesy as Twilight's first movie. I really felt it was poorly done and fans only enjoyed it because it was an extension of the book. I can't even imagine what they'd do here with The Hunger Games. Could you imagine Katniss' fiery costume?!

NitroStitch
07-26-2011, 10:58 PM
I'm hoping they don't make it as cheesy as Twilight's first movie. I really felt it was poorly done and fans only enjoyed it because it was an extension of the book. I can't even imagine what they'd do here with The Hunger Games. Could you imagine Katniss' fiery costume?!

I guess it's just a good thing they've got computer animation to show things like that now, rather than setting actors and their costumes on fire... :scared1:

PinkBudgie
07-27-2011, 12:10 PM
The Capitol should havean ancient Roman feel to it. All the people from the Capitol have Roman names, the chariots, the arena...

Can't wait to see everyone's costumes. To me, that could really make or break the movie depending on how well they are done.

sayhello
07-27-2011, 12:44 PM
The Capitol should havean ancient Roman feel to it. All the people from the Capitol have Roman names, the chariots, the arena...OMG, I never thought of that! D'oh! That's a really, really good point. And we all know what happened to Rome and their decadence...

Can't wait to see everyone's costumes. To me, that could really make or break the movie depending on how well they are done.Both costuming & makeup will.

Sayhello

Lynn57
07-27-2011, 08:13 PM
I know I'm joining late, but I just finished the first two books! Such an amazing series.

I teach third grade and know that this book is required reading for all students entering our high school. I am tutoring a student right now and am re-reading the first book with him and am having really interesting conversations regarding the themes.

Does anyone know what the movie will be rated when it comes out? I can imagine it could easily get an R rating with some of the violence, but will probably make it tamer to get a lower rating...

PinkBudgie
07-27-2011, 08:51 PM
That's a good point about the rating. I bet they will try to keep it to PG13. It will do better at the box office if it isn't R.

Something else I thought of as I'm reading through (and I can say without spoiling anything because it is just something subtle as you read) is each district seems to have bits and pieces of American culture. Like someone from one district might know something that we Americans now recognize while someone from other district doesn't know that. But instead they know something else. Not only did all the products (mining, clothing, etc) get divided up but it seems so did things like sayings and songs.

NitroStitch
07-28-2011, 01:06 AM
That's a good point about the rating. I bet they will try to keep it to PG13. It will do better at the box office if it isn't R.

Something else I thought of as I'm reading through (and I can say without spoiling anything because it is just something subtle as you read) is each district seems to have bits and pieces of American culture. Like someone from one district might know something that we Americans now recognize while someone from other district doesn't know that. But instead they know something else. Not only did all the products (mining, clothing, etc) get divided up but it seems so did things like sayings and songs.

I would imagine they would definitely try to avoid an R rating, especially given that the main characters are teens, and a PG13 would admit an audience similar in age.

Really good point about the portions of American culture divided among the districts. I hadn't thought about it while reading, but that division really is interesting and recognizable (while subtle).

rayleechristian
07-29-2011, 11:26 AM
I love this series!! I am on the third book now and loving every minute of it!!!:dance3: My niece recommended it to me while we were on a 13 hour trip to Christian's doctor. I stopped in at a Walmart to get the 1st book and haven't look back since!!! I love some Katniss!!

PinkBudgie
07-29-2011, 02:13 PM
I just started the third book yesterday and I'm already almost half way through. I'm going to miss reading about Katniss after I finish. :sad1:

WDWGeek1971
07-31-2011, 05:46 PM
Wow! There are so many deep political ideas going on in this series. At first, the general idea of the Hunger Games reminded me of the film "Logan's Run." Not sure many are old enough to remember that one. ;-)

SPOILERS:
I do wonder what raised the original rebellion, and why there are now 12 districts because District 13 was completely destroyed? It matches the number of colonies, but is there any parallel other than the number? The districts don't seem to be large, either. From that I infer that most of the population was killed. I also understand that the fall back position for the US Federal government is in the Denver area. I just makes me wonder how it is all going to play out in the trilogy.
END SPOILERS

Luckily, a long plane flight coming up, and all three books on my Kindle pretty much means I'll be through all of them before Wednesday. ;-)

WDWGeek1971
07-31-2011, 06:11 PM
Here is the link on iMDB for The Hunger Games:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1392170/

djblu883
07-31-2011, 09:13 PM
I'm in the 3rd book and haven't been able to read in 2 days! I really can't wait to get back into it! Great series! I'm looking forward to discussing it more fully when others get further along. I boutgh my book and Nook allows me to share if anyone would like me to lend the first 2 and the 3rd when done. There is a 10 day limit Nook sets on each book you lend and can't be re sent. :thumbsup2

PinkBudgie
08-01-2011, 10:11 PM
Thanks for the link. I was very interesting to look up the actors and see if they looked liked how they did in my mind. Most seem to be pretty close but that wasn't how I imagined Cinna. Although what they do with the Capitol's costumes I think will make or break it for me.

I have to say the brief descritption given for the movie is wrong: "A young girl joins a survival contest in order to save her community in a dystopian future." That bothers me because that isn't the story at all. :confused3

I just finished the thrid book so all I have to look forward to now is the movie. LOVED all three books! Can't wait to see a trailer. :thumbsup2

NitroStitch
08-02-2011, 09:07 AM
Thanks for the link. I was very interesting to look up the actors and see if they looked liked how they did in my mind. Most seem to be pretty close but that wasn't how I imagined Cinna. Although what they do with the Capitol's costumes I think will make or break it for me.

I have to say the brief descritption given for the movie is wrong: "A young girl joins a survival contest in order to save her community in a dystopian future." That bothers me because that isn't the story at all. :confused3

I just finished the thrid book so all I have to look forward to now is the movie. LOVED all three books! Can't wait to see a trailer. :thumbsup2

Wow. That's a "different" kind of synopsis than the story. To say the least! I hope that's to avoid giving away too much.

I finished book 3 on the plane to California so now I wait for the movies too. :)

linnell
08-02-2011, 11:11 AM
One of my prouder moments came last summer when I was in Target with my friend's 13yo and asked if she had read the books. She had never heard of them, so I bought her a copy of the first book. She and her mom went on a 10 hour roadtrip and she read it and made her mom buy her book two immediately.
She started high school in Sept and on the first day started talking to a girl who was reading Mockingjay about the book and now they are best friends. I love when books bring kids together!

sayhello
08-02-2011, 11:27 AM
One of my prouder moments came last summer when I was in Target with my friend's 13yo and asked if she had read the books. She had never heard of them, so I bought her a copy of the first book. She and her mom went on a 10 hour roadtrip and she read it and made her mom buy her book two immediately.
She started high school in Sept and on the first day started talking to a girl who was reading Mockingjay about the book and now they are best friends. I love when books bring kids together!What a fabulous story!!! :thumbsup2

Sayhello

WDWGeek1971
08-07-2011, 10:50 PM
Lots of observations and lots of discussion topics! Should have time on Tuesday for a real post.

I don't think it is a spoiler to say the ending did not disappoint me!

djblu883
08-08-2011, 07:42 PM
I totally agree. I wasn't sure how they would end it and how I was hoping it would end....but I was glad it had if not a happy ending a good end!

DisVillianMomma
08-10-2011, 11:05 AM
Hello All,

I am kinda late to the party I just started reading the book! Got it on my nook, and so far I am loving and can't wait to read them all and discuss them all you with you guys

Marian

LaLaDisney
08-13-2011, 05:59 AM
Wow, I stayed up and read the whole book in one sitting! It's 3 a.m.!! I'll come back when I'm more coherent, but I am certainly looking forward to completing the trilogy.

Aburns8
08-13-2011, 07:29 AM
I just got my Kindle last night and got the last 2 books. I am reading book 2 and should have it finished by the end of the weekend!

*NikkiBell*
08-13-2011, 11:02 AM
I am loving how hooked everyone has become on this series. Here's the question that many who are not familiar with the book would love answered: What "hooked" you on The Hunger Games? What keeps you coming back for more?

PinkBudgie
08-13-2011, 11:09 AM
I am loving how hooked everyone has become on this series. Here's the question that many who are not familiar with the book would love answered: What "hooked" you on The Hunger Games? What keeps you coming back for more?

The "world" seems very complete and detailed. It brings up so many issues and topics, it made me think. I also enjoyed reading about the main character and seeing what she would do.

sayhello
08-13-2011, 12:01 PM
The "world" seems very complete and detailed. It brings up so many issues and topics, it made me think. I also enjoyed reading about the main character and seeing what she would do.I really agree with this.

Also, the funny thing is, because it's a trilogy, at this point you're pretty certain in book 1 that Katniss survives the Games. And yet there's still an amazing sense of suspense and there are surprises and twists that keep you on the edge of your seat. You're never 100% sure what's going on. What happens is often a total surprise. Just like for Katniss.

Sayhello

MonkeyPants
08-13-2011, 12:05 PM
really enjoyed the first book and the second one, but thought the 3rd was a train wreck

DisneyMom2Teens
08-14-2011, 11:45 AM
I am new to the discussion group. I was excited to see a book discussion thread on the series I just finished. I thought the first was fantastic and a book book to add to High School English classes to maybe replace the dreaded "Lord of the Flies".- at least I hated it!! The second book took awhile longer to get into, but managed to create new well developed characters. The third was a mess- too many new characters introduced and lots of violence..I won't say more. I was hoping at one time that all the Tributes would ban together and refuse to fight! I liked how Katniss and Peeta were survivors and knew how to play up to the cameras.