PDA

View Full Version : Smart Phone Verizon Data Plans

D,L and K's Mom
06-25-2011, 08:13 PM
I thought I read something here that there was some kind of increase in the data package price but people were grandfathered in? Does anyone have any info on this? Hubby just came home with new phones for him and DD abd they are both paying $29.00 a month. Thanks.

dilligaf212
06-25-2011, 08:18 PM
I heard next month they will be eliminating the unlimited packages.. if you already have the package it you will be able to keep it but they will no longer offer it.. also if you have to alter your plan in any way you should probably do it before they make the changes because you will be considered a new customer if you do it after and will not be able to keep the unlimited

D,L and K's Mom
06-25-2011, 08:36 PM
He has an unlimited data plan but its $29. I thought there was a cheaper one.....

MouseLover
06-25-2011, 10:36 PM
There are cheaper data plans with Verizon but they are very limited.
My DH has the unlimited plan for his Smartphone for $29. My phone is not a smartphone. I have the $10/month data plan but it is very limited and I don't use it at all. (But was required with the phone.)

ceburto2
06-26-2011, 07:21 AM
On July 7 Verizon is reported to be ditching the current, unlimited Data plan and going to tiered pricing.

Currently, they only offer a $30/month unlimited data plan. They got rid of the smaller data plan recently.

After July 7th, it goes like this.
2gb/month $30
5gb/month $50
10gb/month $80

You can be grandfathered into the unlimited data plan if you currently have it or sign up for it before the 7th.

bicker
06-26-2011, 07:24 AM
Do keep in mind, though, that being grandfathered in means that you still have the ability to select that plan, i.e., have unlimited service. It does not mean that your price won't go up. It is probably that over time (i.e. not immediately) all service providers still offering unlimited service will increase the price, markedly if necessary to ensure that those subscribers bear the brunt of the cost of providing additional capacity in the network that their heavy usage may consequently incur.

Sugardimples
06-26-2011, 07:30 AM
How do you know how many gb you are currently using?

got4boys
06-26-2011, 07:39 AM
There are cheaper data plans with Verizon but they are very limited.
My DH has the unlimited plan for his Smartphone for $29. My phone is not a smartphone. I have the $10/month data plan but it is very limited and I don't use it at all. (But was required with the phone.)

Just a note on the required $10/month data plan on the phone, it has been eliminated, but did not tell their customers. I would call Verizon Customer Service and see if you can take that off.

bicker
06-26-2011, 07:39 AM

From the Terms and Conditions:You may assess and monitor your own data usage during a particular billing period, including during the Return Period under your Worry Free Guarantee, by accessing My Verizon online, or by contacting Customer Service.From the General Information:What tools does Verizon Wireless offer to help me monitor and manage my data, text and voice usage? What charges, if any, apply to each of these tools?

We have several free tools you can use to manage your account and monitor your usage. You can monitor your account online or from your phone with My Verizon. We also have numbers you can call free of charge from your device to check your voice and data usage. I don't have Verizon, but I suspect this URL will get you to the monitor:

https://myaccount.verizonwireless.com/clp/login?redirect=%2Fvzw%2Fmobilesecure%2FMobileSecur eUsage.action

ilovefh
06-26-2011, 08:46 AM
I heard next month they will be eliminating the unlimited packages.. if you already have the package it you will be able to keep it but they will no longer offer it.. also if you have to alter your plan in any way you should probably do it before they make the changes because you will be considered a new customer if you do it after and will not be able to keep the unlimited

The one bonus is that currently it's looking like those that have unlimited data will also be able to keep it even if they upgrade their phone after 7/7.
http://www.droid-life.com/2011/06/21/current-verizon-customers-wont-be-affected-by-tiered-data-only-new-customers-and-lines/

MickeyManiac
06-26-2011, 10:02 AM
DH and I just got Iphones yesterday. I spent a considerable amount of time talking to the salesmen about this. The only thing they could tell me for sure is the change does take effect 7/7/11. They also were somewhat sure that we could upgrade or change phones in the future and still keep our Unlimited plan. They said they had not been given much info beyond that.

DS had the $10 plan but I went ahead and changed his to unlimited as well. He's not due for a new phone until December and I had planned to get him a smart phone for Christmas. My fingers and toes are crossed that they are right and he'll be grandfathered even with a phone upgrade. This was a bit of a gamble that I hope I don't lose.

Leader of the Club
06-26-2011, 01:11 PM
Seriously?! Crap!

My DS is saving for an iPhone and he is still about $100 away. Guess I'll need to front him the money and get him on the unlimited dealy. I don't want to have to stress over his data usage.

amez
06-26-2011, 05:33 PM
I just got a verizon iphone 16g from walmart for $147 plus tax. I am not the primary account holder - my husband is. It extended my contract for two years. I added the unlimited data right at Walmart. Easy and a good deal too! This "rollback" has been going on for several days and I actually got the last one at our Walmart. I was hoping for white, but got black and a cute pink cover.

Seriously?! Crap!

My DS is saving for an iPhone and he is still about $100 away. Guess I'll need to front him the money and get him on the unlimited dealy. I don't want to have to stress over his data usage.

yoopermom
06-26-2011, 09:29 PM
This is giving me a *huge* headache, because none of us in our household have data plans (budgetary reasons), but DS16 has been begging for one consistently. He'll be on our friends and family plan at least through college (if not beyond), so I feel like if I don't put the unlimited data plan on *now*, we're in trouble. But it is $30/month, and that's a lot of $$ towards college.

Sigh.

Terri

bicker
06-27-2011, 06:16 AM
... so I feel like if I don't put the unlimited data plan on *now*, we're in trouble. ...A couple of people have said this in this thread, and I feel compelled to reiterate something I said earlier: Although folks with unlimited data plans now may be grandfathered in going forward, that only ensures that they can select that option: There is nothing preventing service providers from doubling, tripling or quadrupling the cost of that option for those grandfathered in, as time goes on. If you need/want unlimited now, then surely get it, but it seems unclear to me that unlimited plans will remain a good deal, financially, going forward.

Sagginit
06-27-2011, 08:51 AM
well i think you are grandfathered in not because you own the phone, but because you sign up for a contract with verizon. since it is a contract that customers are locked into i would hate to see what would happen if verizon tried to change customers plans, raise prices, and then try to charge them for getting out of the contract.

hopefully economics will start to come into play soon, and as prices go up they will lose customers, and have to lower prices again to keep the ones they have. im choosing to see the data plan as half full. :goodvibes

luvmy3
06-27-2011, 08:59 AM
Just a note on the required $10/month data plan on the phone, it has been eliminated, but did not tell their customers. I would call Verizon Customer Service and see if you can take that off.

If someone was already on the $9.99 plan, it is most likely grandfathered, so while they may not offer it to new customers the ones with it will still have it.
If the pp has a smartphone that requires a data plan they won't take it off, or if they do they will have to put her on the unlimited plan. Verizon will not waive the cost because you don't use the data. The only way to not have to pay for a data plan, is get a phone that doesn't require one.

elgerber
06-27-2011, 12:01 PM
If someone was already on the $9.99 plan, it is most likely grandfathered, so while they may not offer it to new customers the ones with it will still have it.
If the pp has a smartphone that requires a data plan they won't take it off, or if they do they will have to put her on the unlimited plan. Verizon will not waive the cost because you don't use the data. The only way to not have to pay for a data plan, is get a phone that doesn't require one.

The person who was talking about the $10 plan did not have a smartphone, so they could call and have it removed now, as it is no longer required.

luvmy3
06-27-2011, 12:33 PM
The person who was talking about the $10 plan did not have a smartphone, so they could call and have it removed now, as it is no longer required.

In their post they said it was required with their phone but also stated it wasn't a smartphone. ASFAIK Verizon doesn't require non smart phones to pay for a data plan so I'm really confused :confused:

elgerber
06-27-2011, 12:46 PM
In their post they said it was required with their phone but also stated it wasn't a smartphone. ASFAIK Verizon doesn't require non smart phones to pay for a data plan so I'm really confused :confused:

Yes, as of January 2010 they did require the $9.99 data plan on all but a couple of their most basic phones. Apparently they have quietly done away with that, and if you have that required plan now, you can call and have them remove it. My friend just did that for her daughters EnV3 last week.

luvmy3
06-27-2011, 12:53 PM
Yes, as of January 2010 they did require the $9.99 data plan on all but a couple of their most basic phones. Apparently they have quietly done away with that, and if you have that required plan now, you can call and have them remove it. My friend just did that for her daughters EnV3 last week.

I know, but the pp said she didn't have a smartphone and she was required to have a data plan. That's what I'm confused about. I have an older smartphone, that never required a data plan, my dd has a different older one, and my dh has a newer one that doesn't require the data plan. I just don't know what non-smartphone the pp has that does (or did at one time) require one :confused:

elgerber
06-27-2011, 01:06 PM
I know, but the pp said she didn't have a smartphone and she was required to have a data plan. That's what I'm confused about. I have an older smartphone, that never required a data plan, my dd has a different older one, and my dh has a newer one that doesn't require the data plan. I just don't know what non-smartphone the pp has that does (or did at one time) require one :confused:

That is what I was trying to explain. As of January 2010, Verizon DID require a data plan on almost all of their "non smartphone" phones. The LG Env3, and many others, the ones that appealed to teenagers especially. Only a couple of very basic phones didn't have to have it. As far as I know, all smartphones at Verizon have always required a data plan. I know I have had to have one since my first smarphone, the Blackberry Pearl years ago.

cats mom
06-27-2011, 01:27 PM

Exactly.

DD had her EnV (without data plan) in her pocket on a particularly wet ride on splash mtn. Oops!

When we went to replace her ruined phone with the exact same model, they required a data plan. Grrr!

The rules have now changed again and you no longer have to carry a data plan on that phone. Yea!

DH just called last week and got the data plan removed from DD's phone. :thumbsup2

This has news been all over several tech and deal forums I visit. I'd love to know how many people have/will upgrade to unlimited data plans with verizon before 7/7. Pretty shrewd marketing if you ask me.

I'm afraid I agree with bicker on this one. Yes, you'll be grandfathered into an unlimited data plan, but there's plenty of verbage in the T&C that allows for changes down the road. Maybe it will work out well for some folks, but I bet it won't end up being the best option for many, if not most.

Thumper_Man
06-27-2011, 01:29 PM

You can check your monthly statement. You can also go to the My Verizon App on your phone or check online.

luvmy3
06-27-2011, 02:21 PM
That is what I was trying to explain. As of January 2010, Verizon DID require a data plan on almost all of their "non smartphone" phones. The LG Env3, and many others, the ones that appealed to teenagers especially. Only a couple of very basic phones didn't have to have it. As far as I know, all smartphones at Verizon have always required a data plan. I know I have had to have one since my first smarphone, the Blackberry Pearl years ago.

I guess thats where my confusion is because when I contacted Verizon specifically about the EnV3 when I was shopping for phones, I was told it was considered a smartphone (by them) and would require data. I went with an EnV2 so that I didn't have to get the plan.

bicker
06-28-2011, 05:25 AM
hopefully economics will start to come into play soon, and as prices go up they will lose customers, and have to lower prices again to keep the ones they have. im choosing to see the data plan as half full. :goodvibesEconomics will likely work both ways: The more people figure out great stuff to do with cellular broadband, the more prices will go up to reflect that added value. By the same token, added demand will foster added supply, and that will moderate prices. The elimination of the unlimited option simply paves the way for prices to ride both those streams, and therefore probably come out the other side pretty-much where they are now, adjusted for inflation. Without elimination of the unlimited option, they'll end up where terrestrial broadband is - with a broken marketplace where casual users pay more to subsidize the heavy usage of those who best exploit the unlimited option.

maggiew
06-28-2011, 07:03 AM
Maybe they reclassified that phone (EnV3) from a smartphone to a feature phone?

My kids and DH and Dmom all had the Alias2. It has smartphone capabilities but at the time we purchased them, they did not require a data plan. When our contract was up in Jan., if we got new versions of those phones, we would have had to pay the data plan. My DDs chose new phones of a different style that were feature phones and didn't require the data plan. DH and DMom still are using their Alias2. We don't have to pay for a data plan for those.

Maggie

elgerber
06-28-2011, 08:07 AM

My kids and DH and Dmom all had the Alias2. It has smartphone capabilities but at the time we purchased them, they did not require a data plan. When our contract was up in Jan., if we got new versions of those phones, we would have had to pay the data plan. My DDs chose new phones of a different style that were feature phones and didn't require the data plan. DH and DMom still are using their Alias2. We don't have to pay for a data plan for those.

Maggie

No, they were never smartphones. The data plans were required on feature phones.

luvmy3
06-28-2011, 08:12 AM

Maggie

I think in 2010 when they started to require data plans they changed the classification on some of their feature phones, so while they technically weren't smartphones, since they have the ability to be, Verizon figured they could charge people for data if they had them.
I really hate how expensive VZ is so I just bought a palm pixi plus (smartphone) and I'm switching to PagePlus. They use the Verizon network so coverage wiill be virtually the same, they have a $30 a month plan that includes 1200 talk minutes, 2000 texts and 100MB of data.

graygables
06-28-2011, 08:28 AM
Please help me make a decision!!!

15yo hates her phone (so do I). I can transfer DH's upgrade to her line and get her the iPhone she has longed for with unlimited data.

12yo has a "smartphone", but I just pulled the 9.99 data plan b/c she doesn't use it and it's no longer required.

I have a Moto Droid w/ unlimited data. I use it a LOT and the agent told me that my highest usage so far was 818MB. Since they are selling the data in gigs and I'm not anywhere near that, I'm wondering how important it is to get 15yo grandfathered in this next week on unlimited data. I don't know that she will use hers more than I do unless the iPhone sucks up more data than my Droid???

15yo is an awesome kid, very responsible, took VERY good care of me, her sister, and the house during my recent recovery from surgery and I'd love to get it for her, but, boy, is it a hit to the budget.

Opinions? Advice?

elgerber
06-28-2011, 08:32 AM

15yo hates her phone (so do I). I can transfer DH's upgrade to her line and get her the iPhone she has longed for with unlimited data.

12yo has a "smartphone", but I just pulled the 9.99 data plan b/c she doesn't use it and it's no longer required.

I have a Moto Droid w/ unlimited data. I use it a LOT and the agent told me that my highest usage so far was 818MB. Since they are selling the data in gigs and I'm not anywhere near that, I'm wondering how important it is to get 15yo grandfathered in this next week on unlimited data. I don't know that she will use hers more than I do unless the iPhone sucks up more data than my Droid???

15yo is an awesome kid, very responsible, took VERY good care of me, her sister, and the house during my recent recovery from surgery and I'd love to get it for her, but, boy, is it a hit to the budget.

Opinions? Advice?

I think the $29.99 is the only data plan option right now for true smartphones , there is nothing lower, so I would for sure get her on the umlimited plan now. Even if you don't use it as much, there will not be anything cheaper, and the $29.99 plan will surely become the lower useage level plan.

luvmy3
06-28-2011, 08:55 AM

Opinions? Advice?

If you plan on her having a data plan then I would do the upgrade now and get her grandfathered in. After 7/7 you will be paying $30 a month for data regardless, so might as well have it be for unlimited.

MickeyManiac
06-28-2011, 09:25 AM
If you plan on her having a data plan then I would do the upgrade now and get her grandfathered in. After 7/7 you will be paying $30 a month for data regardless, so might as well have it be for unlimited.

I agree. Next month that same $30 will only get her 2 gigs.

My DS (almost 17) only has one more year before college and I'm thinking he'll really need the unlimited option then. We went ahead and added the unlimited plan to his Rogue this weekend and we'll probably get him an iPhone or Droid for Christmas when he's due for his upgrade.

maggiew
06-28-2011, 10:57 AM
No, they were never smartphones. The data plans were required on feature phones.

Well, what I was saying is that it was NOT true for our feature phones. The whole family has feature phones and I only pay for data for my smartphone??

Maggie

yoopermom
06-28-2011, 11:06 AM
We're facing a similar, if worse, situation. DS16 and I are both not eligible for our upgrade until late August, don't have smart phones now(LG Envs), and I'm stuck with either paying more for the smartphones now in order to be grandfathered in for the unlimited data, or waiting for the better phone price and having to pay the higher data price. Actually, I can do the "early" upgrade for $20 more for one of us, but not both. Verizon really has me over a barrel! Aargh!

Terri

MickeyManiac
06-28-2011, 11:22 AM
We're facing a similar, if worse, situation. DS16 and I are both not eligible for our upgrade until late August, don't have smart phones now(LG Envs), and I'm stuck with either paying more for the smartphones now in order to be grandfathered in for the unlimited data, or waiting for the better phone price and having to pay the higher data price. Actually, I can do the "early" upgrade for $20 more for one of us, but not both. Verizon really has me over a barrel! Aargh!

Terri

Can you add the unlimited data plan to your Envs now and then upgrade the phones in August? That's what I just did for DS who is not due for a phone upgrade until late December. Does the Env support a data plan? I thought I read earlier in this thread that someone had the $10 plan on their Env. If so, it should work.

luvmy3
06-28-2011, 11:45 AM

Terri

I don't quite understand the upgrade, do you get the phone for free or at a sunstantial discount when you are eligible for it? If you upgraded early you would be required to pay full retail?
There are plenty of cheaper smartphones to be found on ebay that you could buy to use to get the data plan now, I just don't know if that is financially better for you than the what Verizon allows you to do now.

becauseisaid
06-28-2011, 12:08 PM
I don't quite understand the upgrade, do you get the phone for free or at a sunstantial discount when you are eligible for it?

With the "New Every Two" arrangement, you can upgrade your phone every 2 years (approximately) for the 'new contract' price rather than full price. The main line on the account can pay $20 to upgrade a few months early. Every other line has to wait the full 2 years. We just went through this with my husband who is the primary account holder and eligible for an early upgrade. He chose the Casio G'zOne Commando.

Regular price: $449.99
New Customer Price: $199.99

My husband paid (well, I did since it was an early B-day/Father's Day gift) the $199.99 plus the $20 early upgrade fee.

If I were to try and upgrade my phone right now, I would be required to pay the full $449.99. :eek:

Did that make sense?

shirleyb
06-28-2011, 02:44 PM
I'm just sitting here thinking what a colossal expense this is. I currently have 5 phones on my plan - hoping to drop to either 3 or 4 this fall, so if I had data on just 4 of those phones, that's $120 at a minimum. I think I only pay about $35 a month for unlimited for my house and that gets used a lot more than the internet on the phones!

It is handy to have - DH and I have the $10 plan on our Samsung Rogues right now, and I also have it on my Blackberry for work, so I do see the convenience factor, but I can't say that it's $30 per month per phone worth of convenience!

yoopermom
06-28-2011, 05:29 PM
Can you add the unlimited data plan to your Envs now and then upgrade the phones in August? That's what I just did for DS who is not due for a phone upgrade until late December. Does the Env support a data plan? I thought I read earlier in this thread that someone had the $10 plan on their Env. If so, it should work.

I wish, but no it has to be a smartphone and they don't consider Envs that. (I tried, believe me...)

I know everyone's getting different messages, but I was told that the unlimited would only be for the life of the phone (aka until you upgrade to a new one), so no I can't buy a cheap one now and then use my upgrade at the end of August, either.

Urgh...

Terri

autumnsmommy
06-28-2011, 08:59 PM
ok heres what i did and i feel like it was a waste of typing:
Please wait for a Chat Representative to respond.

Thank you for contacting Verizon Wireless. My name is 'Lina', how may I assist you?

Lina: Thank you for visiting our website. My name is Lina , how may I assist you today?

you: i have a blackberry storm 2 and i am interested in upgrading to iphone 4, not eligible til 3/2012

Lina: Sure! I can help you with your concerns today, and before we get started may I please have your first and last name and ten digit mobile number?

you: how much will one cost without the 2 year upgrade, and will i be able to do it in the future without losing my grandfathered unlimited data plan? xxxxxxxx 000*000*0000

Lina: I do understand that you are inquiring about your account. I would be happy to help you today. First, for security purposes, may I please have the last four digits of the Account Owner's Social Security Number on the account?

me: ****

Lina: The cost is 649 for full retail.

me: cough

me: will i be able to upgrade later without losing my unlimited data plan?

Lina: The iphone requires a data plan of 29.99 or higher.

me: i say upgrade since my storm 2 is slow and apps for it stink

me: i have the 29.99 data plan with my storm2

Lina: Ok.

me: so will i be able to switch phones next march and keep unlimited data?

Lina: Yes the phone requires a data plan.

me: do i have a person or a bot?

Lina: I am a real person.

me: ok, trying to find out if the unlimited data plan, which i have, will vanish when i change phones in march or not

Lina: Yes the phone requires a unlimited data plan

me: and the square root of 9 is? assuming you are a person

Lina: Do you have any other further questions or concerns I may assist you with?

me: i know i have unlimited plan now, the unlimited plans are scheduled to go away in july. I am trying to see if my plan will be grandfathered

Lina: Yes the phone requires a unlimited data plan

me: or if i need to change phones now to keep my plan

Lina: All smartphones require data plan,

me: i know that, i am on unlimited data now and know that on 7/7 it changes, should i buy a new phone before then to keep my plan?

Lina: I am not aware of a change of data plans.

me: they dont tell bots these things, just the people

Lina: Ok.

me: its on various financial websites, and budget forums, and im trying to find the answer to a simple question

Lina: Is it on Verizon web site because if it is not that it is a rumorr.

Lina: rumour*

me: will i be able to keep the unlimited data plan i currently have when i switch to an new phone at the end of my current term

Lina: If it is not on our web site I am not aware of a change.

Lina: If the phone you upgrade to is a smartphone it will require a data package of 29.99 or higher.

me: i have a 29.99 data plan now

Lina: ok.

Lina: I have not heard from you for a few moments. Would you like me to keep this chat session open for you?

me: actually the memo is an internal verizon memo that the rumour is coming from

me: and its all over the financial sites on the web

me: odd verizon doesnt know about it

Lina: I understand your concern but I am not aware of a data change.

me: ok, guess ill go into the store and see if anyone there knows, thank you
:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

next round of beating the dead horse....

disneymarie
06-28-2011, 09:17 PM
This is giving me a *huge* headache, because none of us in our household have data plans (budgetary reasons), but DS16 has been begging for one consistently. He'll be on our friends and family plan at least through college (if not beyond), so I feel like if I don't put the unlimited data plan on *now*, we're in trouble. But it is $30/month, and that's a lot of $$ towards college.

Sigh.

Terri

I have Verizon plan, but the middle ds 28 is a Virgin Mobile unlimited for $25. He does not have the I phone, but a souped up Samsung droid and we both are happy.:surfweb:

cats mom
06-28-2011, 11:53 PM
ok heres what i did and i feel like it was a waste of typing:
Please wait for a Chat Representative to respond.

<snip>

me: ok, guess ill go into the store and see if anyone there knows, thank you
:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

next round of beating the dead horse....

OMG, I can't decide whether that's hilarious or just plain pathetic.

I thought you were very clear. I guess Lina didn't though. :lmao:

Good Luck at the Verizon store. Be sure to report back on how that goes.

I have Verizon plan, but the middle ds 28 is a Virgin Mobile unlimited for $25. He does not have the I phone, but a souped up Samsung droid and we both are happy.:surfweb:

Yep, we allow DD to remain on our verizon family account, but she's surviving college just fine without a data plan of any kind, much less unlimited.

graygables
06-29-2011, 06:31 AM
My guess is that "Lina" is not on this continent and is only versed in certain questions. That said, I called to drop the $9.99 from one of the lines yesterday and chatted with the agent who did tell me that the $29.99 plan would continue to be "grandfathered" as long as it was in place by 7/7, so when I get my new phone in December and moving forward, as long as I don't make any other changes and it's a contract renewal, I'm good.

DDs shiny new white iPhone is on the way and she is ecstatic. She more than earns $30 in month in her help around here, plus by dropping the cheap data plan and having dropped a line last month, my net will only be an extra $10 than I'd had budgeted. Thanks for clinching the decision for me.

bethy
06-30-2011, 12:56 AM
I am new to the world of smartphones and texting and contracts. Up until yesterday I had a prepaid phone and DH's phone is handled through his work.

I signed up for Verizon and go the iphone without being aware of any impending changes to the unlimited data plan.

Here's my question: If I make any changes to the text messaging portion of my contract, will that make me ineligible to keep my unlimited data plan?

i am trying to figure out how much texting I will really need. Right now I have the bare minimum and had plans to upgrade to a larger bundle in the future if need be. I want to know if I need to decide for sure before 7/7.

thanks for any guidance anyone can offer. :goodvibes

CoolDisneyCat
06-30-2011, 02:47 AM
You can check your monthly statement. You can also go to the My Verizon App on your phone or check online.

The easiest way to see current usage to call #data on your phone. You'll get a free text msg saying how much data you have used during the current billing cycle.

CoolDisneyCat
06-30-2011, 02:53 AM
Without elimination of the unlimited option, they'll end up where terrestrial broadband is - with a broken marketplace where casual users pay more to subsidize the heavy usage of those who best exploit the unlimited option.

Exactly!! :thumbsup2

With tiered data plans, the heavy users are paying their share. Rather than raise the rate for everyone, it's being passed along to the heavy users. 90% of data users use less than 2 gb anyway.

maggiew
06-30-2011, 06:22 AM
I am new to the world of smartphones and texting and contracts. Up until yesterday I had a prepaid phone and DH's phone is handled through his work.

I signed up for Verizon and go the iphone without being aware of any impending changes to the unlimited data plan.

Here's my question: If I make any changes to the text messaging portion of my contract, will that make me ineligible to keep my unlimited data plan?

i am trying to figure out how much texting I will really need. Right now I have the bare minimum and had plans to upgrade to a larger bundle in the future if need be. I want to know if I need to decide for sure before 7/7.

thanks for any guidance anyone can offer. :goodvibes

You don't need a data plan for texting. The data plan is if you go on the web, check your email, etc.

Maggie

Joan S.
06-30-2011, 10:08 PM
I thought I read something here that there was some kind of increase in the data package price but people were grandfathered in? Does anyone have any info on this? Hubby just came home with new phones for him and DD abd they are both paying $29.00 a month. Thanks.

Hi, Just wanted to say THANK YOU for posting this info!! I was the last in my family to get a data plan(today) with my new (IPhone:)). I had been procrastinating even with being eligible for an upgrade. But your post made me get to the Verizon store and get my smart phone with the unlimited data plan grandfathered in. I also asked at my Verizon store, why we were not notified of the change that is coming?? They did not have any answers and they did not even know the date at which it would go into effect!! :confused3 Joan