PDA

View Full Version : Chicago Rental Car

Greenmom
06-22-2011, 05:34 PM
Im trying to rent a car in Chicago, but they are so crazy expensive there! Does anyone have any tips or codes for chicago?? Thanks so much.

Lucille1963
06-22-2011, 08:34 PM
Yep. I've had a hard time getting deals too.

The only thing I know is that you get hit with an extra tax renting at the airport, but since the selection is much larger out there I end up getting mine from there anyway.

Do your rrreeeaaallyyy need a car to visit?

PatMcDuck
06-23-2011, 12:26 AM
We spent 4-5 days in Chicago, and used mass transit the whole time! We took the train from the airport to our hotel. While in the city, we used busses and the subways to get around, we never even used a cab. If was fun!

I use HopStop.com to help me figure out which trains, buses and subways to use when we visit large cities.

evergreen4
06-23-2011, 09:07 AM
I am having the same problem for an upcoming trip. I have been checking daily and the best rate I found was through Travelzoo. $199 for a full size car/week (Almost $300 with taxes and fees). Dollar Rent A Car (code: TZ199) Not sure when you are traveling but the code expires 7/31. Hope this helps you!

Donaldswife
06-23-2011, 09:09 AM
Im trying to rent a car in Chicago, but they are so crazy expensive there! Does anyone have any tips or codes for chicago?? Thanks so much.

I highly recommend not renting a car and staying in Downtown Chicago and using their public transportation system. Parking is CRAZY expensive and once you are downtown you don't want to drive, just use public transport anyway.

hearts8701
06-23-2011, 10:11 AM
just received a e-mail yesterday from hotwire for o'hare car rentals
http://www.hotwire.com/car/results.jsp?searchTokenId=1

Greenmom
06-23-2011, 12:14 PM
Thanks for all your replies. I will check dollar. We are not staying in Chicago, just flying in and out of there or I would use mass transit!

sunshine1178
06-23-2011, 01:36 PM
Thanks for all your replies. I will check dollar. We are not staying in Chicago, just flying in and out of there or I would use mass transit!

Where are you staying? You might be able to rent there.

If you're a AAA member, I think they offEr a discount. I used ShopDiscover to book a reservation and got 10% back, which makes it feel less painful.