PDA

View Full Version : Help Us Pick the Next DIS Book Club Selection! POLL ADDED!

*NikkiBell*
06-20-2011, 11:56 AM
Summer is here and it's time for another great read! We are currently taking suggestions for our next book club selection. In the past we have read:

Pirate Latitudes
The Help
House Rules
Wild Ride
The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake
Fall of Giants
Juliet

Post here if you have a title in mind and why you think it would be good for our book club. Remember that the book should appeal the majority and does not have to be Disney-related.

UPDATE: I have added a poll of the two books that came up the most during our discussion here. Please vote for your favorite. I'll close the poll by tomorrow night. :)

GoofyforDisney3
06-20-2011, 01:10 PM
I hope I get to participate this time. I have always shown up to late to join the party before. I have a list of books that I want to read but they aren't always a big library selection. However one of the ones on the list I have heard is being made into a movie with the guy from House. It is Mister Pip by Lloyd Jones.

wishspirit
06-20-2011, 01:33 PM
I hope I get to participate this time. I have always shown up to late to join the party before. I have a list of books that I want to read but they aren't always a big library selection. However one of the ones on the list I have heard is being made into a movie with the guy from House. It is Mister Pip by Lloyd Jones.

I'd be up for that one!

roomthreeseventeen
06-20-2011, 01:51 PM
I am currently reading Cutting for Stone. (http://www.amazon.com/Cutting-Stone-novel-Abraham-Verghese/dp/0375414495) It is REALLY good.

wishspirit
06-20-2011, 02:30 PM
I am currently rereading Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy!

Don't forget your towel! :thumbsup2

Stacy's a freak
06-20-2011, 02:35 PM
I have already read it but The Help is a great choice!

I also LOVED Room.

ragtopday
06-20-2011, 04:29 PM
"Unbroken", by Laura Hillenbrand, was fantastic!!

I also highly recommend "The Glass Castle" by Jeannette Walls.

wishspirit
06-20-2011, 04:33 PM

I also LOVED Room.

Really? I wasn't a big fan of Room, interesting!

Aburns8
06-20-2011, 08:14 PM
I am currently reading Cutting for Stone. (http://www.amazon.com/Cutting-Stone-novel-Abraham-Verghese/dp/0375414495) It is REALLY good.

I heard that book is really good and it is on my list of books to read.

disneydreamgirl
06-20-2011, 09:00 PM
I am reading Freedom (Jonathon Franzen) - so far it is a good read.

sjsjbrook
06-20-2011, 09:35 PM
I have just bought the book Wicked

and

I love any philippa Gregory novels, she wrote about Henry the 8th. Though the book about Anne of Cleeves and Katherine is a little hard to follow.

DVCJones
06-22-2011, 05:47 PM
I am currently reading Snodgrass Vacation. ( I just created a thread before I saw this one. oops!) It is very funny and Dis'ers will pick up the obviously familiar theme....;)

It is $.99 on a Nook and FREE if you have a Kindle.

dalt01
06-22-2011, 06:31 PM
just my 2 cents..............pirate latitudes was pretty good......the title says it all. it was found on michael crichton's laptop after his death...........fall of giants is gathering dust in my room (got it before my kindle) got through about 25% of it........... just your typical international soap.

Celidh
06-22-2011, 06:51 PM

I also LOVED Room.

I am reading ROOM right now and the book I just finished before that was THE HELP.

I would recommend both. At least so far I like ROOM. I"m over half way through.

I have also read WICKED and many other books in that series. I have also read my Phillipa Gregory books.

One series I really enjoyed was the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon (sp?)

magchavez
06-22-2011, 10:08 PM
I just finished The Kitchen House. It was really good.

mom2knk
06-23-2011, 09:55 PM
I am reading ROOM right now and the book I just finished before that was THE HELP.

I would recommend both. At least so far I like ROOM. I"m over half way through.

I have also read WICKED and many other books in that series. I have also read my Phillipa Gregory books.

One series I really enjoyed was the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon (sp?)

I just finished Outlander and immediately downloaded the second book. I agree, this was a fantastic read! :thumbsup2

*NikkiBell*
06-25-2011, 10:15 AM
It is always so challenging picking a book for our club because there are so many different tastes. These are great suggestions, but I don't see any commonalities. Personally, I had three that I was interested in. Would anyone else like to read them?

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

This book is actually being made into a movie and should be out this year. I realize that it technically falls in the adolescent lit category (like Twilight, Percy Jackson,and Harry Potter, all books adults enjoy), but know that it is currently becoming a big favorite amongst grown up readers. I'm eager to see what all of the hype is about. Click here (http://www.amazon.com/gp/mpd/permalink/m154XLKNYB5WH0/ref=ent_fb_link)for the official book trailer.

A Discover of Witches by Deborah Harkness

This was recommended to me by a friend and is gaining quite a bit of popularity. Amazon chose it as its #1 book for the month of February. Apparently it is the first in a trilogy and has an interesting storyline:

It all begins with a lost manuscript, a reluctant witch, and 1,500-year-old vampire. Dr. Diana Bishop has a really good reason for refusing to do magic: she is a direct descendant of the first woman executed in the Salem Witch Trials, and her parents cautioned her be discreet about her talents before they were murdered, presumably for having "too much power." So it is purely by accident that Diana unlocks an enchanted long-lost manuscript (a book that all manner of supernatural creatures believe to hold the story of all origins and the secret of immortality) at the Bodleian Library at Oxford, and finds herself in a race to prevent an interspecies war.

Click here (http://www.amazon.com/Discovery-Witches-Novel-Deborah-Harkness/dp/0670022411/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1309010922&sr=1-1)for more info and two author videos.

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling

I only think it's fit that we read HP 1 (http://www.amazon.com/Harry-Potter-Sorcerers-Stone-Anniversary/dp/054506967X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1309011309&sr=1-1) at one point before DISapalooza. Is that time now or should we wait until right before the event?

GoofyforDisney3
06-25-2011, 04:23 PM
It is always so challenging picking a book for our club because there are so many different tastes. These are great suggestions, but I don't see any commonalities. Personally, I had three that I was interested in. Would anyone else like to read them?

This book is actually being made into a movie and should be out this year. I realize that it technically falls in the adolescent lit category (like Twilight, Percy Jackson,and Harry Potter, all books adults enjoy), but know that it is currently becoming a big favorite amongst grown up readers. I'm eager to see what all of the hype is about. Click here (http://www.amazon.com/gp/mpd/permalink/m154XLKNYB5WH0/ref=ent_fb_link)for the official book trailer.

This was recommended to me by a friend and is gaining quite a bit of popularity. Amazon chose it as its #1 book for the month of February. Apparently it is the first in a trilogy and has an interesting storyline:

Click here (http://www.amazon.com/Discovery-Witches-Novel-Deborah-Harkness/dp/0670022411/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1309010922&sr=1-1)for more info and two author videos.

I only think it's fit that we read HP 1 (http://www.amazon.com/Harry-Potter-Sorcerers-Stone-Anniversary/dp/054506967X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1309011309&sr=1-1) at one point before DISapalooza. Is that time now or should we wait until right before the event?

I agree it is difficult to pick books when there are so many different reading / writting styles. I was thinking of something that I had not already read since that is normally how a book club would work. I've read so many of the books that have been suggested and could do a discussion still.

I do want to read the Discovery of Witches, too. I've heard it was pretty good. Here are a few other books that I have on my "would like to read" list:

The Grave Yard Book
The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie
The Possibilility of Everything
Waiting for Columbus
The Bean Trees
Mudbound
The Color of Water
The Story of Your Life
The Tower, the Zoo and the Tortoise

PinkBudgie
06-25-2011, 04:35 PM
I am currently rereading Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy!

Don't forget your towel! :thumbsup2

I just re-read that book too! I have all four in one book. I'm currently trying to talk my son in to reading it. So funny! :rotfl2:

This summer I have been reading mysteries. I've never read Sue Grafton or James Patterson, so I picked up a few of those to check out and read one from each and also John Saul. I also have a few of Clive Cussler.

If you all decide to read a mystery I'll be there. I never heard of that witch one but it could be interesting. The books I will sit out for are "relationship" books with no action, adventure, or excitment. I know a lot of women like them, but I find them boring. :confused3

disneydreamgirl
06-25-2011, 04:44 PM
I'd be interested in The Hunger Games...need to finish up Freedom first...regardless of which is the final choice, what date do you anticipate getting started?

dalt01
06-25-2011, 05:18 PM

I only think it's fit that we read HP 1 (http://www.amazon.com/Harry-Potter-Sorcerers-Stone-Anniversary/dp/054506967X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1309011309&sr=1-1) at one point before DISapalooza. Is that time now or should we wait until right before the event? hope no one minds my opinions since i dont participate. i am currently on the second book of The Hunger Games trilogy.......enjoyed the first one very much. they are actuallly planning 4 movies based on the three books. Katniss Everdeen is a tremendous heroine.......you would not be disappointed in this choice........

*NikkiBell*
06-25-2011, 05:59 PM
I agree it is difficult to pick books when there are so many different reading / writting styles. I was thinking of something that I had not already read since that is normally how a book club would work. I've read so many of the books that have been suggested and could do a discussion still.

I do want to read the Discovery of Witches, too. I've heard it was pretty good. Here are a few other books that I have on my "would like to read" list:

The Grave Yard Book
The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie
The Possibilility of Everything
Waiting for Columbus
The Bean Trees
Mudbound
The Color of Water
The Story of Your Life
The Tower, the Zoo and the Tortoise

Ohhhh, The Graveyard Book. I read it last summer and am still thinking about it. It was very unusual of a story, but so good. I really liked it.

I'd be interested in The Hunger Games...need to finish up Freedom first...regardless of which is the final choice, what date do you anticipate getting started?

I was hoping to get started this week with a book I was planning on using, but it was suggested I get input from everyone. If we can just narrow it down to a book that people are satisfied with we'll be good to go. It's very difficult finding something that appeals to everyone.

Tomorrow night I will add a poll to this thread so we can vote on some of the choices mentioned here. If anyone has other titles, please let me know so I can include them. :)

hope no one minds my opinions since i dont participate. i am currently on the second book of The Hunger Games trilogy.......enjoyed the first one very much. they are actuallly planning 4 movies based on the three books. Katniss Everdeen is a tremendous heroine.......you would not be disappointed in this choice........

I am glad to hear this. I've been excited about reading it for awhile now. :thumbsup2

ninecrayons
06-25-2011, 10:00 PM
I would love to join the DIS Book Club now that I've got a little more free time to read. I've been reading a lot of NF and could use a break.

I'm currently in the middle of Makers by Cory Doctorow. Have people read his book Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom? It's a great read and beause Doctorow publishes under Creative Commons format, you can get it free for the Kindle.

Welcome to *****un society, where all today's commonplace problems have been solved: even death is a minor inconvenience, since one can make regular backups. Our hero has gone to Disney World--his habit at times of major personal crisis--where he works for the ad-hocracy that runs the Haunted Mansion and the Hall of Presidents. It is a great honor to be working on the pinnacle of late-twentieth-century cultural and artistic achievement--Disney World, that would be--and it inspires great loyalty. Our man begins feeling the pressure of change, however, after a cookie-cutter teenybopper shoots him dead for apparently no reason at all. Convinced that a new ad-hocracy on the block used his death to take over the Hall of Presidents, he vows to sabotage their plans and protect the sanctity of the Haunted Mansion. Thus begins a cycle of destruction and conflict with unexpected ramifications for the park--and his personal life. An excellent ride, entertaining and unpredictable.

I've read The Hunger Games series and would love to read it again too though. Be warned though, the series itself is highly addictive and you'll want to read them all!

HillPete
06-26-2011, 09:05 AM
I just finished The Memory Keeper's Daughter. Wow! I couldn't put it down. I would definitely read it again in a bookclub type format (my copy even has questions for discussion at the end!). I'd love to discuss this book with others.

The Hunger Games is also on my list, but I haven't read it yet.
-H

NitroStitch
06-26-2011, 12:51 PM
That's a lot of great suggestions! I'm kind of anxious to read The Hunger Games - I've had it on my Kindle and waiting, but haven't had a chance to read it yet.

The Harry Potter books are supposed to come out on electronic format in October - maybe that would be a good time to read/re-read at least the first one in preparation for DISapalooza? :yay:

Aburns8
06-26-2011, 01:28 PM
Hunger Games would be good! It is on my list since they are making the movie and there is all of this hype about it.

tanyabanana
06-26-2011, 02:45 PM
I've been away from the boards for awhile and would love to get back on board the book club.

The Hunger Games is a great read. I wouldn't mind re-reading that one. I do agree it is addictive and before you know it you have inhaled the entire series.
Discovery of Witches is on my wish list too, so either one of those would be great!

*NikkiBell*
06-26-2011, 03:07 PM
It sounds like The Hunger Games is becoming the popular pick. If everyone is on board, I wouldn't mind forgoing a vote and just using that. :) We can start this week if that's the case.

NC Belle
06-26-2011, 03:25 PM
:rolleyes1

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51a4YLvZBaL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg (http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0933477147/ref=sib_dp_pt#reader-link)
No other titles to suggest for the moment.

:rotfl:

djblu883
06-26-2011, 03:38 PM
Hope it's in Nook stores as well! I traded my kindle for a Nook Color and i adore it!!! Lets us know!!!

*NikkiBell*
06-26-2011, 03:40 PM
:rolleyes1

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51a4YLvZBaL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg (http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0933477147/ref=sib_dp_pt#reader-link)
No other titles to suggest for the moment.

:rotfl:

:scared1: :sad2:

*NikkiBell*
06-26-2011, 03:43 PM
I just checked on the eReader formats for The Hunger Games:

Nook (http://www.barnesandnoble.com/s/hunger-games?store=ebook)-$4.69

Kindle (http://www.amazon.com/The-Hunger-Games-ebook/dp/B002MQYOFW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&m=AG56TWVU5XWC2&s=digital-text&qid=1309117372&sr=1-1)- $4.69

nomie74
06-26-2011, 03:43 PM
If it's not too late I want to vote for A Discover of Witches. My sisters book club read Hunger Games and while it was a good book she said there wasn't much to talk about.

*NikkiBell*
06-26-2011, 03:48 PM
Maybe we should narrow it down to the two? It seems like there's a strong favor towards Hunger Games, but also Discovery of Witches. What's everyone think? We could always do one this month and the other next. :)

PinkBudgie
06-26-2011, 06:59 PM
I just checked on the eReader formats for The Hunger Games:

Nook (http://www.barnesandnoble.com/s/hunger-games?store=ebook)-$4.69

Kindle (http://www.amazon.com/The-Hunger-Games-ebook/dp/B002MQYOFW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&m=AG56TWVU5XWC2&s=digital-text&qid=1309117372&sr=1-1)- $4.69

Oh! I like the price for The Hunger Games! ;) I vote for that one! Sounds like that one will have lots of topics to discuss too. :thumbsup2

GoofyforDisney3
06-26-2011, 09:00 PM
The only thing that makes me not want to read The Hunger Games is the fact it is the first of a series. Even if it turns out to be just an okay book, you almost feel like you have to read the rest of the series. ;)

I'm open to either. Wonder which one would be better to discuss?

TrekBoy85
06-26-2011, 09:19 PM
What are the requirements to join the DIS Book Club?

*NikkiBell*
06-26-2011, 09:50 PM
The only requirement is that you...well, read the book! :) We'd love to have you!

I am adding a poll to this thread. Vote on which of the two popular books mentioned should be read! :)

PinkBudgie
06-27-2011, 12:26 PM
Wow, as of right now they are tied!

I just checked the status of the witches book at the library. Right now, there are 101 holds on it! :scared1: At that rate, it won't be available until next year!

disneydreamgirl
06-27-2011, 12:30 PM
Wow, as of right now they are tied!

I just checked the status of the witches book at the library. Right now, there are 101 holds on it! :scared1: At that rate, it won't be available until next year!

Unless everyone reads it in 3-4 days, then count on two years!!! :lmao: Wow, I can't believe I hadn't heard about this book before now...you really can find out about anything and everything on the Dis.

PinkBudgie
06-27-2011, 01:49 PM
Unless everyone reads it in 3-4 days, then count on two years!!! :lmao: Wow, I can't believe I hadn't heard about this book before now...you really can find out about anything and everything on the Dis.

Well, it depends on how many copies they have. :confused3 But yeah, several years is probably more like it!

I never heard of it before either, but it seems like I'm the only one in the county who hasn't. :rotfl:

DisneyKevin
06-27-2011, 02:25 PM
This would be my pick....

Before I Go To Sleep: A Novel
by S.J.Watson

http://www.amazon.com/Before-Go-Sleep-Novel-ebook/dp/B004GUSG4M/ref=amb_link_356704042_26?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0Z6S5H7G024M9TS057D8&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1306895762&pf_rd_i=1286228011

It's a book for adults that doesnt include witches, vampires, werewolves etc.

Merry Mousketeer
06-27-2011, 02:53 PM
Since it's summer, which for me means reading light-hearted books, and the latest Pirates of the Caribbean film has been so popular, I was going to suggest "Pirates of the Caribbean - The Price of Freedom" by A.C. Crispin. It is the prequel to all of the Pirates film that explains how young merchant seaman Jack Sparrow became the pirate Captain Jack Sparrow. Here's a description of the book:

Twenty-five-year-old Jack Sparrow is a clean-cut merchant seaman pursuing a legitimate career as a first mate for the East India Trading Company. He sometimes thinks back to his boyhood pirating days, but he doesn’t miss Teague’s scrutiny or the constant threat of the noose. Besides, he doesn’t have much choice—he broke the Code when he freed a friend who had been accused of rogue piracy, and he can no longer show his face in Shipwreck Cove.

When Jack’s ship is attacked by pirates and his captain dies in the altercation, he suddenly finds himself in command. The wily sailor’s skillful negotiations with the pirate captain—who turns out to be a woman from his past—result in a favorable outcome that puts Jack in line for an official promotion.

After making port in Africa, Jack is summoned by Cutler Beckett, who makes him captain of a ship called the Wicked Wench. Beckett gives Jack an assignment. He has heard a legend about a magical island named Zerzura whose labyrinthine bowels are said to contain a glorious treasure. Beckett suspects that one of his house slaves, a girl named Ayisha, is from Zerzura. He asks Jack to take her along on his voyage and seduce her into divulging the island’s whereabouts. In payment for his services, Beckett promises Jack a share of the treasure.

But this task isn’t as easy as Jack initially believes. Before she agrees to reveal the location of her home, Ayisha insists that Jack take her to the New World to rescue her brother, who has been sold into slavery in the Bahamas. Their voyage is long and arduous, and as they weather a vicious storm and a surprise attack from an old pirate foe, Jack grows to respect and admire Ayisha’s bravery. He knows that Beckett intends to enslave her people after robbing them of their treasure, and Jack’s moral compass revolts at the idea. It might be possible to deliver Ayisha safely to Zerzura, obtain some of the treasure, and convince Beckett that he never found it . . . but the greedy E. I. T. C. official has eyes everywhere, and if he learns that Jack has foiled his plans, he could take away the thing that Captain Sparrow loves most: his ship—and his freedom.

JVL1018
06-27-2011, 03:25 PM
I sort of lurk on the book club threads, didn't see this one until just now--and oddly,I picked up The Hunger Games the day before yesterday and read it. It was good! Not sure if I should vote for it since I JUST read it, or vote for the other since it looks good..;)

*NikkiBell*
06-27-2011, 03:35 PM

:thumbsup2 I hadn't heard of it either until a friend at work recommended it to me. Apparently it has become incredibly popular and will have two other books written.

Since it's summer, which for me means reading light-hearted books, and the latest Pirates of the Caribbean film has been so popular, I was going to suggest "Pirates of the Caribbean - The Price of Freedom" by A.C. Crispin. It is the prequel to all of the Pirates film that explains how young merchant seaman Jack Sparrow became the pirate Captain Jack Sparrow. Here's a description of the book:

Twenty-five-year-old Jack Sparrow is a clean-cut merchant seaman pursuing a legitimate career as a first mate for the East India Trading Company. He sometimes thinks back to his boyhood pirating days, but he doesn’t miss Teague’s scrutiny or the constant threat of the noose. Besides, he doesn’t have much choice—he broke the Code when he freed a friend who had been accused of rogue piracy, and he can no longer show his face in Shipwreck Cove.

When Jack’s ship is attacked by pirates and his captain dies in the altercation, he suddenly finds himself in command. The wily sailor’s skillful negotiations with the pirate captain—who turns out to be a woman from his past—result in a favorable outcome that puts Jack in line for an official promotion.

After making port in Africa, Jack is summoned by Cutler Beckett, who makes him captain of a ship called the Wicked Wench. Beckett gives Jack an assignment. He has heard a legend about a magical island named Zerzura whose labyrinthine bowels are said to contain a glorious treasure. Beckett suspects that one of his house slaves, a girl named Ayisha, is from Zerzura. He asks Jack to take her along on his voyage and seduce her into divulging the island’s whereabouts. In payment for his services, Beckett promises Jack a share of the treasure.

But this task isn’t as easy as Jack initially believes. Before she agrees to reveal the location of her home, Ayisha insists that Jack take her to the New World to rescue her brother, who has been sold into slavery in the Bahamas. Their voyage is long and arduous, and as they weather a vicious storm and a surprise attack from an old pirate foe, Jack grows to respect and admire Ayisha’s bravery. He knows that Beckett intends to enslave her people after robbing them of their treasure, and Jack’s moral compass revolts at the idea. It might be possible to deliver Ayisha safely to Zerzura, obtain some of the treasure, and convince Beckett that he never found it . . . but the greedy E. I. T. C. official has eyes everywhere, and if he learns that Jack has foiled his plans, he could take away the thing that Captain Sparrow loves most: his ship—and his freedom.

This one sounds good too. It reminds me of Pirate Latitudes.

by S.J.Watson

http://www.amazon.com/Before-Go-Sleep-Novel-ebook/dp/B004GUSG4M/ref=amb_link_356704042_26?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0Z6S5H7G024M9TS057D8&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1306895762&pf_rd_i=1286228011

This sounds interesting too. :thumbsup2

JVL1018
06-27-2011, 03:53 PM

by S.J.Watson

That looks good, too..

GoofyforDisney3
06-27-2011, 04:14 PM
Just added two more books to my like to read list. The book Kevin suggested and another that is supposed to be similar to it, Shutter Island. Never saw the movie, but that is okay since I normally like the book better.

PinkBudgie
06-27-2011, 05:09 PM

by S.J.Watson

That does sound good! Adding that to my long list of books to read this summer. :thumbsup2

MaryJ
06-28-2011, 08:32 AM
Oh! I like the price for The Hunger Games! ;) I vote for that one! Sounds like that one will have lots of topics to discuss too. :thumbsup2
If you decide to go with this book, I have some friends that do a podcast based on The Hunger Games. You can find it at http://gspn.tv/category/hungergames/

*NikkiBell*
06-28-2011, 09:58 AM
Alright, here we are! It looks like after our discussion and voting that The Hunger Games is up! I'll set everything up today for us to get started. Feel free to look for the book now.

I was also thinking that we should keep some of the other picks in line. My thinking was that we could do Before I Go to Sleep next and then A Discovery of Witches. What do you guys think?

PinkBudgie
06-28-2011, 11:34 AM
Sounds good! I'm charging my Kindle now. :banana: Of course, in about two weeks I'll be mostly "out of touch" at DLR. I'm not bringing my laptop with me, but I will have my itouch. Not easy to post from, but can do a little.

bcvdreamer
06-28-2011, 11:54 AM
I'm in. We have the book, so it's perfect. I bought it for my DS, but he didn't read it, so now I can put it to good use! Hopefully he'll see me reading it and he'll pick it up. I know it's summer when I have to hide the Xbox controllers!

disneydreamgirl
06-28-2011, 12:37 PM
Well, it depends on how many copies they have. :confused3 But yeah, several years is probably more like it!

I never heard of it before either, but it seems like I'm the only one in the county who hasn't. :rotfl:

Totally thinking of my local library...definitely would only have one copy and with that many holds it would probably go MIA at some point, lengthening the wait for those waiting patiently.
In order to avoid this, I may borrow my Dad's e-reader (can't remember which it is) since between the two of them they now have an iPad and a Galaxy and no longer use the e-reader. I'd like to try one out and see if I like it even close to as much as I like the real thing, paper and all.

disneydreamgirl
06-28-2011, 12:40 PM
Alright, here we are! It looks like after our discussion and voting that The Hunger Games is up! I'll set everything up today for us to get started. Feel free to look for the book now.

I was also thinking that we should keep some of the other picks in line. My thinking was that we could do Before I Go to Sleep next and then A Discovery of Witches. What do you guys think?

Sounds like a great plan...I thought Kevin's suggestion sounded like a great premise for a good read. Thanks for getting this going. Now I just need to finish Freedom this coming weekend (thanks goodness we have Friday off) so that I can get started with the rest of you!

GoofyforDisney3
06-28-2011, 02:25 PM

Sounds like a great plan. :thumbsup2

Totally thinking of my local library...definitely would only have one copy and with that many holds it would probably go MIA at some point, lengthening the wait for those waiting patiently.
In order to avoid this, I may borrow my Dad's e-reader (can't remember which it is) since between the two of them they now have an iPad and a Galaxy and no longer use the e-reader. I'd like to try one out and see if I like it even close to as much as I like the real thing, paper and all.

Be prepared to really like the ereader. I read so much more since I got mine. :love: So much lighter and easier to read in bed. :cloud9: Also, easier to take with you and always have a book to read.

NitroStitch
06-28-2011, 04:13 PM

Good idea! I'm glad to have an excuse to read The Hunger Games now and then to read the other books afterward. Hopefully they'll drop a bit in price in between now and then... ;)

FunkyFunBuckets
06-28-2011, 05:55 PM
Just wondering if I could get in on this book club thingy.
I completely addicted to reading can sometimes go through a few books a week but hopefully having a book club to participate in will slow me down so I really look at what I am reading :thumbsup2

*NikkiBell*
06-28-2011, 08:14 PM
Of course you are welcome to join us!! Everyone is! :)

I'm going to set up the official book club thread now...see yas over there! :goodvibes

Sarabi's Cubs
06-28-2011, 10:00 PM
I think you'll enjoy the Hunger Games. I read it because my 12 year old wanted to and I wanted to make sure the content was ok for his age. I didn't expect to like it as much as I did. It's one of the few books that my son, my husband, and I all enjoyed.

Laurie

disneydreamgirl
07-02-2011, 05:53 PM
Another suggestion for an upcoming read: Shadow of the Wind
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/shadow-of-the-wind-carlos-ruiz-zafon/1008324078?ean=9780143034902&itm=1&usri=shadow%2bof%2bthe%2bwind