PDA

View Full Version : Saving for next trip

DisneyGuy758
06-20-2011, 08:46 AM
Next summer, my family is going to WDW as a present to my wife for graduating from college. We have a little over a year until the time frame we want to be there for.

The biggest issue is saving money. I stink at it.

I work a job where I get a commission check once a month that is usually a little over $1,000 (give or take), so I was thinking of putting a couple of hundred from that away each time and maybe $50 or so from my check away as well each week.

I'm looking for some pointers on how to save money, without feeling pinched, or getting that scary feeling of not having a bill paid.

What do all you wonderful Diser's have for me? Feel free to ask any questions that might help get an idea on where I'm coming from.

-Andre
pirate:

Marionnette
06-20-2011, 09:02 AM
Next summer, my family is going to WDW as a present to my wife for graduating from college. We have a little over a year until the time frame we want to be there for.

The biggest issue is saving money. I stink at it.

I work a job where I get a commission check once a month that is usually a little over $1,000 (give or take), so I was thinking of putting a couple of hundred from that away each time and maybe $50 or so from my check away as well each week.

I'm looking for some pointers on how to save money, without feeling pinched, or getting that scary feeling of not having a bill paid.

What do all you wonderful Diser's have for me? Feel free to ask any questions that might help get an idea on where I'm coming from.

-Andre
pirate:
There's no way not to "feel the pinch" unless you're flush with cash to begin with. If you're like most people who don't have much more money coming in than you have going out, then you will either need to spend less or make more. You can choose one or the other or some combination of both. If putting back $50 every paycheck and a couiple hundred from every commission is going to make things tight or mean that a bill goes unpaid, then you need to rethink your savings strategy.

If you're the grocery shopper, then start couponing to get the cost down. Cut the extras on your cable subscription. Cancel newspaper delivery and read online. Raise the air conditioning temperature a few degrees. Lower your heating temperature. Unplug everything when not in use to save on phantom electricity use. Drive less. Avoid multiple trips to the store and stay away from the mall, bookstore or whatever triggers your impulse spending. Put your itunes account on hold.

Make more money by selling things you no longer use. Ebay, craigslist etc. Old gold can grab you some serious coin. Postpone some big-ticket purchases. Get a part time job. Get a Disney Visa or other rewards credit card and use it for everything so that you rack up the points. Join an online rewards program like mypoints to get gift cards or paypal cash.

DisneyGuy758
06-20-2011, 09:10 AM
If putting back $50 every paycheck and a couiple hundred from every commission is going to make things tight or mean that a bill goes unpaid, then you need to rethink your savings strategy.

Taking some out of my weekly check might hurt some, but the commission one shouldn't.

Cut the extras on your cable subscription. Cancel newspaper delivery and read online. Raise the air conditioning temperature a few degrees. Lower your heating temperature. Avoid multiple trips to the store and stay away from the mall, bookstore or whatever triggers your impulse spending. Put your itunes account on hold.

Our cable is pretty bare bones now. We don't get the paper, the AC could be turned off a bit more often I guess. The mall is one of my weaknesses. I collect toys, and have way too many (which will lead us to the next point you made). No iTunes either.

Make more money by selling things you no longer use. Ebay, craigslist etc. Old gold can grab you some serious coin. Postpone some big-ticket purchases. Get a part time job. Get a Disney Visa or other rewards credit card and use it for everything so that you rack up the points. Join an online rewards program like mypoints to get gift cards or paypal cash.

I'm going to try to sell a lot of my toy collection. It doesn't do much other than sit there collecting dust. I'm thinking about getting a part time job for the summer and am currently looking at mypoints to see what I can get out of there.

Thanks for the tips so far. Looking forward to more.

GatorMama
06-20-2011, 09:39 AM
If you use paper products like plates and paper towels, it's cheaper to use the "real things" and wash them. A pack of cheap washcloths is the same price or cheaper than a 2 pack of paper towels... and they'll last WAY longer!

If you use commercial cleaning products, you don't need to. Baking soda and vinegar can clean SO MUCH around the house that we've done away with the need for Windex, 409 and Scrubbing Bubbles... and most other similar cleaners. And last time I checked the Heinz website, there was a printable coupon good for vinegar. :-)

Find ways to conserve water and power to bring down your monthly bills a bit. Our water bill is a set amount for the first X gallons. We have a goal to bring our bill down to that amount by the end of the summer so that we know we're never paying more than $60 for our water. It means I'll probably be turning the water off while I shave in the shower... but that little bit each day will add up! Make it fun- if you manage to save a specific amount (a goal you set) then reward yourself by buying a Disney gift card for your trip in that amount... then you're meeting both goals with one action!

prncess674
06-20-2011, 10:08 AM
The first thing to do is sit down and put your gross income for the month on the first line, then start subtracting out line by line your needs such as

rent
mortgage
insurance
electricity
gas

then list our nice to have monthly reoccuring bills.

cell phone
car payments

Most likely there is still a lot left over and this where most people get in trouble. Are you spending a lot of money in small amounts that add up to a big amount. Such as
do you eat lunch out every day at work?
Do you stop for a candy and coke at the 7-11 several times a week?
Do you stop for a morning macchiato at Starbucks?

DisneyGuy758
06-20-2011, 10:14 AM
Most likely there is still a lot left over and this where most people get in trouble. Are you spending a lot of money in small amounts that add up to a big amount. Such as
do you eat lunch out every day at work?
Do you stop for a candy and coke at the 7-11 several times a week?
Do you stop for a morning macchiato at Starbucks?

Guilty as charged.

I stop for coffee almost every morning. I will have to stop that, and start putting that money away. It can change from $3 a day to almost $6. That's a lot of money. I try not to eat lunch out every day, but sometimes it can be three times a week. Again, that's a lot of money.

One other thing I do is buy comic books (see above for more geeky items) once a week. That, too, fluctuates depending on what's out for the week. That is something I think I'll start cutting back on as well.

brymolmom
06-20-2011, 10:17 AM
I think your ideas sound great OP! If you save $200 for 12 months plus $50 per paycheck (not sure if you're paid weekly, but I'll assume twice a month) it would be another $100 per month for a total of $3600 for the year - PLENTY for a trip to WDW.

Can you setup a direct deposit for the $200 and $50 into a separate account? If so - go do it now! If you end up tight at the end of the month and realize you've overstepped on the savings - you can always go grab out $100 of it to pay a bill and then adjust downward. If you get a physical check for the commission, try getting into the habit of going to the bank that same day and putting $200 into your vacation account and the rest into bill paying.

It sounds to me (since you have enough cash to even have a toy collection) - like it won't be too much of a strain, as long as you do OK with not buying any/or as many toys, but it needs to be setup to be done AUTOMATICALLY so that you never see that extra cash. My best advice would be to try your best to make that happen.

DisneyGuy758
06-20-2011, 10:20 AM
I'm also bank on using some of our 2011 Tax return money towards the trip as well.

We have two kids, and a third on the way. I know it's going to sound harsh (but it is the truth) the addition of the third come tax time will up our return a great bit.

I'm extremely appreciative of all the tips so far! Keep them coming, please!

prncess674
06-20-2011, 10:30 AM
Guilty as charged.

I stop for coffee almost every morning. I will have to stop that, and start putting that money away. It can change from $3 a day to almost $6. That's a lot of money. I try not to eat lunch out every day, but sometimes it can be three times a week. Again, that's a lot of money.

One other thing I do is buy comic books (see above for more geeky items) once a week. That, too, fluctuates depending on what's out for the week. That is something I think I'll start cutting back on as well.

Coffee = $3 * 5 days per week * 4 weeks per month = $60 per month

Fast food lunches = $8 * 3 days per week * 4 weeks per month = $96 per month

If you just cut out those two items
$60 + $96 = $156 per month * 12 = $1,872 which could be a huge dent in a trip budget.

mrsbornkuntry
06-20-2011, 10:33 AM
One tip I've always liked was to go to the disney website and put in your dates (or a guesstimate) and choose some particulars like how many days, which resort (or at least which level) and get an idea of how much your trip will cost, then divide that amount by how many months you have so you know how much you need to put away each month.

Also, if you have money left over the day before payday and you aren't going to need it for bills the next pay period move it to savings.

Look for cheap entertainment, especially over the summer when it's easy to just get outside. Redbox movies, picnics, library, etc.

Look over your monthly expenses and see if there's anything recurring that you don't use and could cut or lower. Gym membership? Netflix? Cheaper cell plan? Cut some cable channels?

DisneyGuy758
06-20-2011, 10:47 AM
I'm going to look into lowering our cable channels. We have Netflix as well, but it's instant through our Wii, and the kids would kill me if I got rid of that.

I'm going to try very hard to not get coffee out anymore. I think I'll start using my Disney mug for my coffee, to try to keep me focused on why I'm doing it.

Zhoen
06-20-2011, 11:21 AM
I'm going to look into lowering our cable channels. We have Netflix as well, but it's instant through our Wii, and the kids would kill me if I got rid of that.

I'm going to try very hard to not get coffee out anymore. I think I'll start using my Disney mug for my coffee, to try to keep me focused on why I'm doing it.

I have been skimming whatever is left in my account on payday-eve into my Disney fund, then rounding down my check on payday and skimming that, too... it's a good way to practice "living beneath your means" while saving for a goal.

For a different goal, we have a 5-gallon water jug that collects all our loose change. Our goal is years away, so we empty it and deposit it frequently, since all those quarters would tempt our children too much... but for a trip a year away, maybe a soda jug with a slot in it to save loose change for souvenirs? You could even have a game with the kids... they each get $X for spending money, but the one who guesses closest to the amount in the jar on cash-in day wins and extra $X...

monkey30
06-20-2011, 11:41 AM
I have been skimming whatever is left in my account on payday-eve into my Disney fund, then rounding down my check on payday and skimming that, too... it's a good way to practice "living beneath your means" while saving for a goal.

For a different goal, we have a 5-gallon water jug that collects all our loose change. Our goal is years away, so we empty it and deposit it frequently, since all those quarters would tempt our children too much... but for a trip a year away, maybe a soda jug with a slot in it to save loose change for souvenirs? You could even have a game with the kids... they each get $X for spending money, but the one who guesses closest to the amount in the jar on cash-in day wins and extra $X...

We just did the Change and we had 186 in it! Thats a lot of change the kids found laying around the house! It was 2 years worth but that is their spending money for the trip!

disneychic2
06-20-2011, 11:59 AM
Also, OP, if you are buying your toys and comics with a cc, start using cash. It hurts a bit more to spend actual cash. If you aren't on a budget, it would be good to get on one. That way you can figure out where the money goes, and I think you'll be surprised at some things. Then, one of your line items can be "vacation" savings. We have vacation, Christmas, new car, emergency etc. in addition to our mortgage, utilities and insurance categories in our budget. It really gives you a sense of freedom. Good luck! And congrats to your wife for graduating college!!

Also, skip the daily coffee, buying toys (just until you get enough saved) and brown bag your lunch. Then, if you have succeeded for six days, on the seventh day, treat yourself to a coffee or a comic or whatever. Remember you're doing without so your family can make unbelievable memories you'll cherish for years to come. You can do it!:cheer2:

buzzgirls&dad
06-20-2011, 12:07 PM
Like other postesr I go to the WDW website and allears.net to get a good estimate of the cost for our trip. I then divide it by how many months I have to save and start putting that much away each month. I try to do it from the household budget. If I find I will be short I may cut back on certain things like taking DD out to lunch while on summer break instead we'll pack a picnic and eat it in the park. I may have a tag sale. Once I start saving I just want my cash to grow so I really do not want to spend it on anything other than our planned trip. For me saving is very motivating. Good luck it seems getting started is the hardest part.:)

jldixon62
06-20-2011, 04:01 PM
Guilty as charged.

This was me too, with the starbucks lattes, lunching out and taking the grandkids to every event that came along. Coffee and lunching out alone was about 200 a month, if I only had one latte a day.

Now I just book a Disney package and put the 200 (a month savings) towards it each month, I make a payment just like any other bill. And when the grandkids ask me if I can take them to an event, I ask them would they rather do that than go to Disney, and they choose Disney and I save that money toward the airfare.

DisneyGuy758
06-21-2011, 09:14 AM
I went in and priced out our trip. It's a little over $5k. Yikes. I would have almost a year to pay it off...so it might not be a bad idea to get it booked at least.

I had half a thought of booking the new Animation Hotel (for the family suites), but realized it would be packed, being new and all...so I went with ASMu family suites, where we stayed (and loved) in 2007.

For the airfare, I'm thinking of flying into Sanford, as we have direct flights from here to there, and grabbing Mears from there.

Shel
06-21-2011, 11:35 AM
DisneyGuy - you got some excellent advice & some I'll use myself. I do the same thing - get an estimate on a trip & then divide it by # of weeks to know how much $$$$ I need. Each week when I get groceries I overwrite the check by whatever figure I ended up w/after my calculation and tuck that money back in an envelope until its time to book the trip. So far I've been able to save $1300 towards a 3/2012 trip that way.

Also, consider taking the Disney Magical Express from the airport rather than the Mears shuttle. I don't know if Mears is free, but the DME definitely is free.

clutter
06-21-2011, 11:50 AM
IF (and that's a BIG IF) you're good with credit cards and track and pay off your balances every month, you could try using the Disney Visa. (But you must be able to pay it off every month!!!) I run everything I can thru mine, and I make a couple hundred a year in rewards that can be used for trips. If you're registering on the Disney website, maybe you will get an offer for $200 reward dollars for signing up.

But don't do this if you have credit card debt.

As for pricing your trip, $5k is an awful lot for a family of 4. You might have every extra in there. Does that include airfare? Do you really need DDP, or is QSDP good enough? Given the ages of your kids, you may not want that many sit-down meals. Are you going prime-time? Can you go during a value season? That will lower your costs some, and get you away from the crowds.

cglaura
06-21-2011, 11:51 AM
Does your current job allow time for small pt work? I was thinking lawn care. Around here an average 70x100 lot gets about $30. If you could get 2 per week, that could be an extra $720 or so depending on how long the season goes up there. And it would only be about 2-3 hours per week depending on the lawn. Get up early on Saturday and you could be home before the family is up :goodvibes (depending on the family of course!)

DisneyGuy758
06-21-2011, 12:42 PM
IF (and that's a BIG IF) you're good with credit cards and track and pay off your balances every month, you could try using the Disney Visa. (But you must be able to pay it off every month!!!) I run everything I can thru mine, and I make a couple hundred a year in rewards that can be used for trips. If you're registering on the Disney website, maybe you will get an offer for $200 reward dollars for signing up.

Credit cards and I don't really get along. I have tow with VERY low limits. I try to pay them off as often as I can.

As for pricing your trip, $5k is an awful lot for a family of 4. You might have every extra in there. Does that include airfare? Do you really need DDP, or is QSDP good enough? Given the ages of your kids, you may not want that many sit-down meals. Are you going prime-time? Can you go during a value season? That will lower your costs some, and get you away from the crowds.

Technically a family of five...but the last one won't count when we're there. ;)

As for my quote, it is 8 days, 9 nights ASMu Family Suite, Park Hopper with Water Park, with DDP (this is a big must, yes). When we went in 2007 (one boy was 7 the other was 1), we used the DDP to our advantage and ate like kings. The time frame we're going is the last week of August (HOT, I know) which is a value season. I'm waiting to see if an August code pops up for 2012...

DisneyGuy758
06-21-2011, 12:48 PM
Does your current job allow time for small pt work? I was thinking lawn care. Around here an average 70x100 lot gets about $30. If you could get 2 per week, that could be an extra $720 or so depending on how long the season goes up there. And it would only be about 2-3 hours per week depending on the lawn. Get up early on Saturday and you could be home before the family is up :goodvibes (depending on the family of course!)

I would be able to work a part time job where I'm working, no problem.

I need to see if my old job (liquor store) would have some evening hours open.

CaliforniaDreamin
06-21-2011, 01:29 PM
Buy Disney gift cards from Walgreens or wherever. I've been buying $25 a week and it's adding up. They can be used for rooms, tickets etc. Right now I have everything paid for but food and souiveners so I'm just buying the cards for that. I have over $100 and still have 5 months to go, so I should have $600 in spending. Since it's just me and a friend, I don't see me spending that much in food and souviners. So I might start $25 every other week.

JAMIESMITH
06-21-2011, 02:06 PM
I save out of my commission check every month. I also use part of that fifth pay check I get once every three or four months.

My2CrazyGirls
06-21-2011, 03:53 PM
Credit cards and I don't really get along. I have tow with VERY low limits. I try to pay them off as often as I can.

Technically a family of five...but the last one won't count when we're there. ;)

As for my quote, it is 8 days, 9 nights ASMu Family Suite, Park Hopper with Water Park, with DDP (this is a big must, yes). When we went in 2007 (one boy was 7 the other was 1), we used the DDP to our advantage and ate like kings. The time frame we're going is the last week of August (HOT, I know) which is a value season. I'm waiting to see if an August code pops up for 2012...

That sounds like alot for a value resort. Can you tell us the breakdown? Do you really need park hoppers and the water parks??? I think you can save if you DON'T do the dining plan. Have breakfast in your room everyday etc. Does this include airfare? Something just doesn't seem right.

tzeitel
06-21-2011, 03:59 PM
OP you mentioned MyPoints - I do MyPoints and when we go to WDW I usually save my points for Rainforest Cafe/T Rex gift cards. But of course they have tons of other gift cards that can be used directly or indirectly towards the trip.

I also do Swagbucks and so far have accumulated enough Amazon cards to get myself and DD new shoes to wear when we go to DLR in Oct. Now I am saving them for a new camera bag. With MyPoints I have $100 in gas cards (driving to DLR), I know you are flying but that could be used at home and just stash the $100 you would have spent on gas in your Disney fund - same with many other cards for things you would normally buy anyway. You can get tons of points by booking your flights etc through them as well.

Our DLR trip in Oct has been paid off for a few months now because I took a part time server job. I put my regular check in our checking account but put all my tips in our Disney piggy (actually Tiki Mickey) bank. So if you can get a part time job on top of setting a specific amount from your regular pay you should be in pretty good shape. I did the math for our trip and then added a couple of hundred on top for souvenirs etc. so don't forget to add a little extra! Good luck!

DisneyGuy758
06-21-2011, 04:04 PM
I do want park hopper tickets. I've always had them, on every trip. I will look into what the difference would be with out it though.

On our trip in 2007, we did not go to any of the water parks, even though we had the option to. We would like to do this this time, and actually plan on half a day at a water park and then the rest at the hotel, relaxing.

We plan on eating breakfast in our room already. The DDP would just make it one less thing I would have to budget for the trip. I'm not the best budgeter in the world, so something that kind of limits that, works for me.

It does not include airfare, but I can get that fairly cheap through our local airport.

amberdburke
06-21-2011, 04:39 PM
I agree with PP that said once they start saving, it's easy to cut extras out.

We have cut out all other "vacations" including local weekend trips, local fairs, etc. this summer and saving the $ instead.

We have been able to cut our grocery bill down to $40-$60 a week (for a family of 3 and daycare kids). And yes, we eat fresh fruit/veggies and I make dinner from scratch nightly.

We have earned a $25 Rainforest Cafe gift card from Mypoints. I have gotten some $20 checks from Toluna and a ton of $5 giftcards from Reward TV (hey they add up). We are using the $5 cards for our trip down for gas, fast food, etc.

My husband got a $75 hotel giftcard for doing a health assesment at work. We are using this for the trip down.

We have also been collecting the $5 gift cards from the Kellogg's cereal boxes and have $35 so far.

DisneyGuy758
06-21-2011, 04:40 PM
Regarding Mypoints, what is the minimum amount needed to redeem for gift cards and the like?

I can't seem to find this info on the website.

TarzansKat
06-21-2011, 05:01 PM
Regarding Mypoints, what is the minimum amount needed to redeem for gift cards and the like?

I can't seem to find this info on the website.

If you look under the tab that says rewards, and redeem rewards, it should give a breakdown of the point values for the gift cards they have available at that time.

StitchBuddy
06-21-2011, 06:55 PM
Birthdays and Christmas, I don't know what you spend on these or your family situation. But, my niece bought her son his ticket to WDW for Christmas and just a couple of other small things. The rest of the family bought him stuff and he never really knew the difference. Most kids have more toys etc... than they can play with. We are big on buying Park Hoppers with Water Parks and more 10 day non-expiration tickets. This way the next time we go back all we really have to pay for is the hotel.

DisneyGuy758
06-22-2011, 08:18 AM
I got a quote from Dreams Unlimited that is about $200 less than the Disney site price AND it includes hopper tickets and water park add on. The $200 would pay for the transportation from Sanford Airport to the hotel.

clutter
06-22-2011, 09:03 AM

But the last week of August is my favorite time to go! Sure it'll be hot, but I've been there when it's been hotter. And the crowds are pretty slowed down. With luck, they'll add free dining for next year.

As for water parks, if you're only planning to go once, maybe it'll be less expensive to do one-day passes to them, instead of the add-on? I've never priced it out.

DisneyGuy758
06-22-2011, 09:10 AM
As for water parks, if you're only planning to go once, maybe it'll be less expensive to do one-day passes to them, instead of the add-on? I've never priced it out.

A quick search found (and it may be wrong, so feel free to chime in people!) $45 for adults and $40 for kids. It would be about $170 for tickets for my family for one day. Is is a savings...so that's a consideration as well.

neatokimmo
06-22-2011, 09:23 AM
I think going to a water park with an infant will be a PITA. You won't be doing anything as a family. Someone will have to stay at the chairs while the others are in the water. At least in the parks you can watch shows together.

DisneyGuy758
06-22-2011, 09:49 AM
I think going to a water park with an infant will be a PITA. You won't be doing anything as a family. Someone will have to stay at the chairs while the others are in the water. At least in the parks you can watch shows together.

I know exactly what you're saying, but. My DW isn't much of a ride person, so I would be with the two older boys, and she'd have the younger boy (yes, the new one is a boy as well...ugh) in a splash pool.

When we went in 2007, my now DS4, had a blast and wasn't a PITA to have with us at any point. I'm looking forward to his return, and to see how my yet to be born will be around the characters. DS4 LOVED them...as seen here...

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b280/Cpthowdy758/S6301431.jpg

disneychic2
06-22-2011, 09:55 AM
I've never priced it out, but others on the DIS have said that getting two connecting rooms is cheaper than the suites. You may want to check that out. I was going to suggest paying for just one day for the water parks, but I see someone already did. I think that's the way to go. I think you're smart with the park hopper since you'll be there so long. We can't do without them!

DisneyGuy758
06-22-2011, 09:59 AM
Since I started going with my mother in 1996, I have never not had park hopper tickets. To quote one of my favorite movie characters.

"It is so choice. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up."

sydneysmom
06-22-2011, 10:24 AM
the best advice I can give you is put yourself on a budget. Write down ALL of your expenses....from auto insurance, gas, utilities, food shopping, etc...ALL of it. We did Dave Ramsey and it was THE best thing we ever did. At first, it's quite scary to see how much you actually spend, but there's a peace that comes with knowing exactly where your money's going and how much you have left for savings.

We refinanced our house 2 years ago and the difference that we saved each month on our mortgage came out to $ 155 / month. We decided we were going to open a vacation account and let that money be direct deposited into vacation. We already had the money budgeted for the mortgage, so we just didn't change our amount. It's amazing how fast it grows. But if you make a little vacation account and direct deposit money into it, you'll get used to it not being in your normal budget. :thumbsup2 It's hard at first, but you WILL adjust. You just make some changes elsewhere.

momminnie
06-22-2011, 10:31 AM
As for my family, we have paid for the park hopper the past 3 times and have not made use of it. we stay in a park till it closes and we plan our meals for that park or our resort. We hopped parks 1 time before and it was a lot of wasted time we could have spent in a park. We don't go back to our resort to nap either. Even when our son was a baby, he would nap in the stroller and he was fine. I have made use of the baby station on a couple of occasions. We think we could have saved that money on the park hoppers and put it toward something of use for us. That is just our family and our opinion. Our son didn't need a break but I see where a family with 3 sons might. Hope everything works out great for all of you and congratulations on the up coming birth. The memories in Disney are the best and even with a small one it was not a PITA for us.Have a great time.

DisneyGuy758
06-22-2011, 10:37 AM
I had the Dreams Unlimited quote amended to remove the water park add on. This is the break down as of right now.

Trip Dates: 08/24/2012 to 09/01/2012

Package: 2012 Magic Your Way Plus Dining
Disney World Resort: All Star Music
Room Type: Family Suite
(Non-smoking room requested)
Number of Rooms: 1

Party Description: 2 Adults 3 Children
Ages: 12, 6, 1

Ticket Options: Ticket Length: 9 Days
Park Hopping: Yes
Water Park Fun and More: No
No Expiration: No

Package Price: $4,682.05 (tax included)
Deposit Amount: $200.00

Deposit Due Date: 06/28/2011 Book this reservation
Balance Due Date: 07/09/2012

sydneysmom
06-22-2011, 10:59 AM
I had the Dreams Unlimited quote amended to remove the water park add on. This is the break down as of right now.

Is that with any kind of discount ?? that seems kind of high to me. (free dining is during that period, so at the least, you should be getting free dining) Did you price it out on www.disneyworld.com using their "specials" page ? just as a comparison ?

DisneyGuy758
06-22-2011, 11:02 AM
There aren't any discounts added on right now because our trip is not until 2012, so I don't think there is much available quite yet.

I am hoping free dining would be going on again for our dates...but who knows.

Scottish McMouse
06-22-2011, 11:14 AM
Are you planning on getting a family suite just for the extra room? We're a family of 5, but because our youngest is under 3, he'll sleep in a pack 'n play. We just booked a regular room in ASMo

DisneyGuy758
06-22-2011, 11:16 AM
Are you planning on getting a family suite just for the extra room? We're a family of 5, but because our youngest is under 3, he'll sleep in a pack 'n play. We just booked a regular room in ASMo

Yes we are.

When we went in 2007, we had originally booked a single room and it was not enough room. We swapped to a family suite and it gave us the breathing room we needed. We would come back to the room so the boys could nap, and DW and I could go into the separate room and could watch TV, or surf the web there. For us, we feel a family suite is a must. We will be a family of five next time as well, so we will need the kitchenette even more so.

DisneyGuy758
06-22-2011, 08:51 PM
I hate bumping a thread where I was the last one to post in it. I apologize.

I was talking with DW tonight, and she agreed that park hopper tickets aren't really needed. If we plan our days (and ADRs) right, we should be fine without them.

That, with the water park deduction brings everything down by $500. Looking better every minute.

PrincessSteph
06-22-2011, 11:06 PM
OP, just wanted to let you know that I did not purchase hopper passes on my last two trips and it was no problem at all! Plan your days ahead of time and be flexible if necessary and you too will be fine.

Have a great trip!

DisneyGuy758
06-23-2011, 10:31 AM
That's one thing that DW mentioned last night. We will have to plan our days, and meals, around the park we choose to be at that day. It won't be hard, just...different.

I think I'm going to book it next week and call it good.