PDA

View Full Version : Great Estate Roadshow

living la vida mickey
06-19-2011, 11:42 AM
Anyone ever sell gold, silver, coins or jewelry to them? They'll be in our area for 4 days this week and was wondering if it's worth taking some things over to see what they'd offer. Any experience or opinions welcome.

curiousb
07-26-2011, 01:15 AM
Hi!
Great Estate Roadshow offers the best price of any roadshow out there. I was seeking a quote on a sterling silver tea/coffee set my mother left us and was shocked at how high their price was. Most places had told me $900.00. Great Estate gave me over $3500.00. I went in there expecting to get screwed (again) and was absolutely shocked at their price! And happily so!
Of course, that $900.00 quote was 2 years ago when silver was at $17, but still, $3500 is more than double that and silver was at $39.00 the day I sold to them ($17 x 2= $35 and $900 x 2= $1800; they gave me almost 4x the original quotes I had gotten!)
They are also a no pressure organization. If you just walk in and say you want an idea of what you have, they will graciously tell you what it is, what it is worth at the time, and why.
The girl I dealt with was super nice, friendly, and welcoming. She understood that I was just there for a quote (in the beginning - I had no idea they were going to give me such a high price!) and explained to me why the price was what it was, and also why and how I was getting those other quotes (do NOT trust anyplace that uses grams instead of pennyweights!).
All in all, very happy with their service and attitude. 4 stars.

S. C.
07-26-2011, 02:05 AM
Hi!
Great Estate Roadshow offers the best price of any roadshow out there. I was seeking a quote on a sterling silver tea/coffee set my mother left us and was shocked at how high their price was. Most places had told me $900.00. Great Estate gave me over $3500.00. I went in there expecting to get screwed (again) and was absolutely shocked at their price! And happily so!
Of course, that $900.00 quote was 2 years ago when silver was at $17, but still, $3500 is more than double that and silver was at $39.00 the day I sold to them ($17 x 2= $35 and $900 x 2= $1800; they gave me almost 4x the original quotes I had gotten!)
They are also a no pressure organization. If you just walk in and say you want an idea of what you have, they will graciously tell you what it is, what it is worth at the time, and why.
The girl I dealt with was super nice, friendly, and welcoming. She understood that I was just there for a quote (in the beginning - I had no idea they were going to give me such a high price!) and explained to me why the price was what it was, and also why and how I was getting those other quotes (do NOT trust anyplace that uses grams instead of pennyweights!).

Interesting first post. Welcome to the dis.

canadaboy
08-24-2011, 04:00 PM
Anyone ever sell gold, silver, coins or jewelry to them? They'll be in our area for 4 days this week and was wondering if it's worth taking some things over to see what they'd offer. Any experience or opinions welcome.

I was absolutely and utterly disappointed in what they offer and their professionalism.

I've been to two... and here's the experience I've had both times:

1 - they don't test anything with high tech tools, if anything
2 - they sort your material (gold or silver) using their eye, and often they are wrong (in their favor not yours!). So the 18K is often put in as 10 or 14, if you're lucky.
3 - they weigh it all and both times they were wrong (lower) than it should have been. They had 'excuses' and reset the scales, but most people will get the short end of the stick here. Sadly.
4 - and if they HAVE posted payouts on their website (most don't) - the two I went to didn't match it. I argued with both that they should be paying what they advertised - and then they agreed.

All in all - it was a terrible experience.

Go to a local, trusted buyer. Roadshows, not the ideal way to go about selling your stuff.

Good luck!
CanadaBoy

mpls_mm
08-24-2011, 07:45 PM
Hi!

Here is an interesting and totally non-related tidbit. You can set google alerts for forums so anytime someone mentions a specific string of words like say Great Estate Roadshow or Empire carpet, you get an alert instantly. It's crazy, you can pump up your business in forums you never visit, people are stupid and never catch on!

curiousb
09-05-2011, 03:56 AM
To Canadaboy: I talked to the girl I sold to via e-mail recently (she was letting me know when they would be back in my area) and I mentioned your posting. She said that they have not yet had 2 shows in any same place and that you must be thinking of a different roadshow, but I am wondering which one of you is correct?
According to her, they have never been to Canada so it makes me wonder if you are thinking of a similar, yet different company.
She has asked me to provide her with dates/cities so as to gain feedback on your particular experience. She also mentioned that there is a competing company which is pretending to be them.
Please advise! I do NOT want to sell to them again if they are a scam, but they did give me the best silver price I had found as of yet. I have a son who is computer savvy and he will be able to check on their "history" (?) via the computer.
Thanks!

nicewoman
04-17-2012, 10:03 PM
The Great Estate Roadshow has never been to Canada so you must be thinking of the wrong roadshow. You can look it up on their website...greatestateroadshow.com and see.

ktracey2007
07-28-2012, 11:02 AM
Great Estate Roadshow (GERS), has never been to Canada. You are thinking of Treasure Hunters Roadshow (THR), they have gone out of business for being scandalous. GERS follows all rules and regulations and is BBB accredited.