PDA

View Full Version : Lots of negative reviews about the Dream. Should we avoid it?

fairytalelover
06-18-2011, 05:40 PM
Been reading lots of negative reviews about the food and service on the Dream. We went on the Wonder a few years back and loved every minute of it. Should we avoid the Dream until the get the kinks out? Dont want to spend all of that money and not have the same awesome experience we had last time.

erionm
06-18-2011, 05:47 PM
To me, no one's opinion matters but mine. Just because someone else didn't enjoy the cruise or found issues is not going to stop me from going.

teamtilt
06-18-2011, 05:51 PM
Awesome technology and an Awesome ride, but service wasn't worth the $.

jrbdad
06-18-2011, 05:55 PM
To me, no one's opinion matters but mine. Just because someone else didn't enjoy the cruise or found issues is not going to stop me from going.

Agreed. I've read plenty of really good reviews too. Two weeks and I'll let you know :).

RAD
06-18-2011, 05:58 PM
DW and I did the four day on 5/1 and enjoyed it and nobody at our table of 8 had a problem with the food.

Can you go on another cruise line, save money and had a good experience also, probably, but it's not Disney. When in Nassau there where four cruise ships docked, the other three looked drab compared to the Dream sitting next to them.

Shell54
06-18-2011, 05:59 PM

Ditto:thumbsup2 Besides, I've read good reviews and bad reviews from people that were on the exact same cruise. I read the TR's and take the good with bad. People have different expectations and since I've never cruised I'll have nothing to compare the Dream to..still very excited about our cruise next month:goodvibes

MinnesotaMouseketeers
06-18-2011, 06:18 PM

WELL SAID I too do not pay attention to the negative reports.

If I had; my family and I would have missed out on many great WDW and DCL vacations memories. I have always read more negative reports on each of the resorts we have stayed at than good and for the various DCL cruises.

Go, my guess is you will love it. Do you think DCL sells out most of their cruises because there are a lot of people that go on a cruise they know they will hate? We continue staying at WDW resorts and have never cruised on any other cruise line because Disney has never disappointed us. Hopefully you will have the same experience.

Otimon
06-18-2011, 06:21 PM
Absolutely not! Experience the Dream. I don't think you'll regret it.

We sailed the Dream in March and are booked again for October. We all loved it. Experienced none the problems often mentioned on these boards and just had a wonderful time.

Enjoy your cruise.

Dizzyworld
06-18-2011, 06:25 PM
WELL SAID I too do not pay attention to the negative reports.

If I had; my family and I would have missed out on many great WDW and DCL vacations memories. I have always read more negative reports on each of the resorts we have stayed at than good and for the various DCL cruises.

While I appreciate people posting their different experiences, more people will write about a negative experience than to take the time to write a positive experience. So I always keep that in mind when I am reading posts.

BTW....we have had some negative things happen to us on Disney ships. After our first trip 10 years ago on the Magic, I didn't think I'd ever get on another Disney ship. Friends talked us into going with them the following year using the FL discount on the Wonder. It was a terrific cruise.

I do hope DCL does read some of these posts and work on making some positive changes in the areas that have people most concerned.

fairytalelover
06-18-2011, 06:26 PM
I didn't mean that I would avoid DCL all together. What I meant was should I avoid the Dream for a while until they get the kinks out and just keep cruising on the Wonder and Magic instead.
I wouldnt consider taking any other cruise line but Disney. We love everything Disney !!:)

scootch
06-18-2011, 06:28 PM
I think the initial reviews were poor, but the past few months I have seen much more good than bad. We absolutely LOVED our B2B Dream Cruises... still obsessed 2 months later!!!! Best vacation we have ever had.

Dizzyworld
06-18-2011, 06:33 PM
I didn't mean that I would avoid DCL all together. What I meant was should I avoid the Dream for a while until they get the kinks out and just keep cruising on the Wonder and Magic instead.
I wouldnt consider taking any other cruise line but Disney. We love everything Disney !!:)

:hug:

minniestheone
06-18-2011, 06:34 PM
Just got off the Dream yesterday and am ready to go again!!! You will love it!

Dizzyworld
06-18-2011, 06:34 PM
I think the initial reviews were poor, but the past few months I have seen much more good than bad. We absolutely LOVED our B2B Dream Cruises... still obsessed 2 months later!!!! Best vacation we have ever had.

Your positive reviews give me hope that we will have a good B2B in a few weeks. :thumbsup2

teamtilt
06-18-2011, 06:42 PM
Disney fans here all the way ! DVC owners and 4 time cruisers just saying if you are going for dinner service take the Magic or Wonder, If you want to go to see the ship then go on the Dream. It is a DREAM! Awesome technology! Just the crew we had ...had no personality and was very tired!

breakingd_awn
06-18-2011, 07:02 PM
I was kinda worried before we went on the Dream this year,because of all the bad reviews. We loved our first cruise on the Wonder and hoped the Dream would be just as great. IT WAS!!! We absolutely loved it:lovestruc.
We can't wait to go on the Dream again in March. I could'nt find anything wrong with someone else cooking,cleaning,and waiting on me hand and foot.The Dream was beautiful , ocean beautiful, and the food was great!!! I'd say go and see for yourself....I think you'll love it.

scootch
06-18-2011, 10:29 PM
Your positive reviews give me hope that we will have a good B2B in a few weeks. :thumbsup2

You will love it!! If anyone of your party cancels, call us:rotfl: We travel alot(not all disney) and truly, wow... it was the best! We are heading to WDW with a MK view at BLT in November, but I can't get off the disney cruise board and even get excited for that trip! Wish we were DREAMING again!

Shell54
06-18-2011, 10:38 PM
You will love it!! If anyone of your party cancels, call us:rotfl: We travel alot(not all disney) and truly, wow... it was the best! We are heading to WDW with a MK view at BLT in November, but I can't get off the disney cruise board and even get excited for that trip! Wish we were DREAMING again!

Love your enthusiam..you're getting me even more excited for our cruise next month. We enjoy travel too and can't wait to try out the Dream:goodvibes

disneyfanintn
06-18-2011, 11:02 PM
We just finished up our first cruise, it was on the Dream. It was everything we would want it to be. A truly wonderful vacation! I was say go, and form your own opinion. I think you would have a great time.

SanDeeKath
06-18-2011, 11:19 PM
Been reading lots of negative reviews about the food and service on the Dream. We went on the Wonder a few years back and loved every minute of it. Should we avoid the Dream until the get the kinks out? Dont want to spend all of that money and not have the same awesome experience we had last time.

Did you look at the reviews on the Cruise Critic site? There are many for all the Disney ships and they tend to be pretty spot on. I haven't looked but maybe you'll find more thorough and fair reviews there?

Katherine

cmctammyg
06-18-2011, 11:25 PM
We were on the first 5-night. We have sailed on the Magic and Wonder. I found the Dream to be a beautiful ship and we had a wonderful time. I agree service is better on the Magic for sure (only sailed Wonder once - and it was our first). However, we were not unhappy at all. We booked a 3-night for December!

Enjoy!

DisneyHelen
06-19-2011, 06:26 AM
We did first cruise on the Wonder 2009 and loved it.We did our second cruise in may on the Dream.It was fantastic. The new ship looks spectacular and we really enjoyed our cruise.:dance3:

teamtilt
06-19-2011, 08:08 AM
I'm glad that everybody is rebooking the Dream so The Magic will stay cheaper:cool1: I asked for coffee in The Royal Palace (3 times) 4 days ago and I'm still waiting :surfweb:

MinnieTheisen
06-19-2011, 08:39 AM
This was our first Disney Cruise so maybe I don't know how good it could have been but we LOVED it and are now hooked. We booked a dummy reservation to get the discount and can't wait to go back! The service was great, people were sooo friendly, great weather... I am sitting her looking at the boards because I just can't let it go yet! Ahhh

Buzz's Buddy
06-19-2011, 09:33 AM
We got off the Dream 4 weeks ago today and we are still talking about it!

It was our first cruise and it was everything we hoped it would be and more. Go and have a great time!

scootch
06-19-2011, 09:52 AM
Love your enthusiam..you're getting me even more excited for our cruise next month. We enjoy travel too and can't wait to try out the Dream:goodvibes :thumbsup2

lenshanem
06-19-2011, 10:07 AM
We went June 7th and had a blast! And we had been on the Wonder twice before. :thumbsup2

Dizzyworld
06-19-2011, 11:25 AM

I'll keep you in mind. :thumbsup2 Our kids have pretty much grown up on Disney trips. It is weird looking back at the cruise pictures seeing them grow up on the ships especially. This year will be the last year our DS will be under 18. We have offered them different companies but they didn't want to jump ship. My DH and I figure our family vacations are numbered as they get older, if this is what they want to do, we'er okay. Everyone is excited. We expect any trip not to be perfect but we can still have a wonderful trip. Even some of the yucky parts still bring us lots of laughs.

Mmketeer
06-19-2011, 01:55 PM
Don't listen to all the bad hype. Every cruise is gonna have something that doesn't appeal to everyone. I can honestly say at this moment (until the Fantasy comes out- which I have currently booked onboard for), that I have sailed on all of Disney's cruise ships and I would sail the Dream again in a heartbeat! It is worth the $$$!!!

ibouncetoo
06-19-2011, 02:40 PM
I think for the next year (as it was for the past year) we will be expierencing new cast members on ALL the ships as DCL is expanding their fleet and therefore their staff. So I think on any ship you may run into some 'not yet excellent' servers, stateroom hosts, guest services staff.

The nice things about the DISboards is you can come here and ask about current serving staff to get a recommendation so you can request the 'already excellent' servers! :thumbsup2

LollieFollie
06-19-2011, 03:55 PM
We were on the June 7th sailing. We had an absolutely wonderful family vacation. Were there some missing Disney touches? Yes. But It was still a great trip and we will absolutely cruise with Disney again. Even though we had been to the Bahamas just last year we wanted to cruise the Dream because it was a new ship. Next time we want to go to a new port and I would not hesitate to cruise on the Dream again if it has moved to a different port by the time we are ready to go on another vacation.

Principessa
06-19-2011, 06:14 PM
Just got off the Dream yesterday and am ready to go again!!! You will love it!

Me too! Loved every minute of our 5 day Double Dip! I've been on
the Magic and the Dream, once each. We will definitely choose the Dream or even the Fantasy for our next cruise. But I like BIG and NEW.
Nothing wrong with the Magic, just choose what you want to experience!

And our servers and room host were great!

Forever a Princess
06-19-2011, 08:51 PM
Just got off of the Dream on Friday. We LOVED every minute!! Can't wait to go back!!!!!!! DH had to practically "drag" me off of the ship. :rotfl2:

mmouse37
06-19-2011, 10:39 PM
Our kids also grew up taking DCL cruises....we were on the Maiden voyage of the Magic and hubby and I did DCL cruise #22 on the Maiden voyage of the Dream in January (without the kids who are now 21, 26 and 27). Our last DCL cruise with all five of us was in 2005. The Dream is awesome and I am sure the Fantasy will be as well.

Next year we planned a large family cruise and when I asked what cruise line.....Disney was the answer....so we now have about 35 family and friends people going on the Fantasy next June 30th....all our kids are coming and I (and they) can't wait to be all together again on DCL.

MJ

jiminyC_fan
06-20-2011, 02:07 PM
Don't let what others think change your mind. We thoroughly enjoyed the MV of the Dream and the following one (b2b). After getting back I read so many negative reviews and it made me wonder if we were on the same ship. If you look for problems you would probably find some but why waste your time. It's what YOU make of it.

Zandy595
06-20-2011, 02:16 PM
I don't know where you're seeing these negative reviews. The overwhelming majority of the ones I've read recently are very positive. When the Dream first set sail, it seemed like there were a lot of problems, but as far as I can tell, everything has been resolved. Once in a while I'll read something negative, but it doesn't take away from the person's overall opinion of their cruise.

lbgraves
06-20-2011, 02:25 PM
I also read the mainly negative reviews about the Dream's MV; however, friends of ours went on that cruise and they had nothing but wonderful things to say about it. They enjoyed everything and she even got a D&B while enjoying her early seating dinner with her family after being given her number for the line while checking in to see which number they were waiting on [which she was told to do by the shop's manager]. This is a family who dealt with a terrible dose of Norwalk on the 1/09 3-day cruise we went on with them [along with the rest of their aft hallway] and horrible CS from DCL during that cruise which resulted in them cancelling 3 future cruises on DCL. If they can go on a cruise after that nighmare and come back with such fantastic reviews, I am going to put more value on their review.

SFed
06-20-2011, 02:28 PM
Just got off the Dream Friday from a Double Dip and it was awesome. I'll be posting some detailed thoughts in just a bit. From all the early reports I read, I really think DCL worked to correct everything they could and the new cast members got the gist of what it means to provide Disney service. I'd get back on tomorrow if they would let me.

hopeful1
06-20-2011, 02:34 PM
We are on the June 3rd sailing and it was amazing...We rebooked for the future. I traveled with my 18 month old and they were more than helpful! Service was great in our stateroom as well as at dinner. Food was great as well. Embarking and Debarking was the smoothest I've experienced and I've been on more than 10 cruises.

AWHOFAN
06-20-2011, 02:38 PM
March 6th 2011 4 nights Dream Sailing was PERFECT. This was the 9th sailing by then all the problems were fixed. I read all the bad reviews before, all the kinks are worked out. The food was great the SERVICE WAS PERFECT. If something is not what you expected speak up that's why Disney has Guest Recovery.
:boat::boat: I would not schedule the first few weeks when the Fantasy comes on board, since Disney Cruise will need to pull cast members from other ships. :sail::sail:

jenbessey
06-20-2011, 02:43 PM
Absolutely not! Experience the Dream. I don't think you'll regret it.

We sailed the Dream in March and are booked again for October. We all loved it. Experienced none the problems often mentioned on these boards and just had a wonderful time.

Enjoy your cruise.

I agree. We were on in March and loved every minute of it. My kids were disappointed that it wasn't longer. Did not have a problem at all and besides with all of the great things that they have to offer and that many people, you are going to find at least a few negative comments. Go and have fun. It is well worth it. BTW...We loved it so much we booked again for next year, same ship but 5 nights instead of 3. Enjoy!

ppiew
06-20-2011, 02:53 PM
We were on the March 27th DREAM and the whole family LOVED IT. Everyone wants to go again next year so we booked the MV of the FANTASY because it falls during Easter Break. AND I looked at availability this AM and lo and behold a stateroom for the 5 day July 5th! Booked it on the spot! Doubt I would have done all this if I didn't love the cruise Frankly cruise food on most lines is average at best - what looks good doesn't always =taste the same!! I am so excited only 2 wks to the DREAM again. Oh by the way, I am going alone - single adult! I think those with the negative reviews just are jealous they aren't going again soon!!!