PDA

View Full Version : Volunteer Group for GKTW - Dec 9, 2011 - FINAL UPDATE

*NikkiBell*
06-16-2011, 05:40 PM
http://zannaland.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/gtkwlogo.jpg

Give Kids the World is always in need of volunteers. Because so many of us are going to be at WDW this December for DAP, I thought it'd be nice to get a group together to volunteer at GKTW. Details will be discussed in this thread.

UPDATE: 12/1:

Our group is scheduled to work together in the Gingerbread House from 7:30-11 a.m.

http://gktw.org/images/pre/venues/gbh.jpg

Please check in at the volunteer building once you get to GKTW. There are signs directing you. You then will be brought to the Gingerbread House. Once you are done, they will give a complete tour of the village from 11-12. This is an excellent tour and really sheds light on the village and its mission. There is a gift shop located in the village in case you want to purchase items. Just ask your tour guide for the location.

In the past, DISers wore their DIS Boards or DIS Unplugged shirts to help identify each other. Because you all are working in the same area, this is not entirely necessary, but might be nice to do so that the staff knows where you all are from. If you do not have a DIS shirt, consider wearing something with orange or green on it.

Give Kids The World Village
210 South Bass Road
Kissimmee, FL 34746
800-995-KIDS (Tel)
407-396-1114 (Tel)
407-396-1207 (Fax)
dream@gktw.org

UPDATE 11/18:

Hi All,

I just wanted to let you know that this is the final list of volunteers. All of the below applicants have returned the appropriate paperwork and are on the schedule:

Daniel A.
Elizabeth A.
Katherine B.
Cristen C.
Tara D.
Mary Anne M.
Marie S.

Please check this thread prior to your leaving for DAP so you have specifics about arrival procedures.

When: December 9, 2011 :banana:

Who: Anyone Interested

What: Volunteering at GKTW can range from serving breakfast or ice cream, running the carousel, delivering meals, or working with the ponies. Once I have specific information about the shifts available, I can post it here. That won't happen until I have a head count of who is interested in joining us. I have already spoken to our contact and the ball is rolling!

How: Please post a reply to this thread stating if you are interested. I will need your name and email address so that I can send the volunteer form to you. You may leave it in this post or PM it to me.

If you have questions about volunteering check out the primer here (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2729866)or post a reply in this thread. I hope you can make it! :goodvibes

UPDATE: I did speak with our contact at GKTW and they do need volunteers the morning of Dec. 9th from 7:30-11 am at the Gingerbread House serving breakfast. If you are interested in volunteering, please post here so I have a running list. I am still personally not sure if I can make it as I'm working out travel details (I'm flying in that day). Even if I cannot make it, I will organize the group so things run smoothly.

Volunteers So Far:

myweegirls & DH
sugardimples & Partner
TSWJan78
evildiva
Dian-er
ninecrayons

UPDATE: Please complete the following before the end of September if you still plan on volunteering.

Step 1: Completing a Give Kids the World Volunteer Application:

• Visit www.gktw.org and click on the “Volunteer” tab
• Click the link for the Online Volunteer Application
• Volunteers should complete the application in its entirety
• Please ensure to list the appropriate Group Name in the box provided, which is DIS Unplugged

Step 2:

Completing a Volunteer Background Check (ONLY for those 18 or older):
• Visit http://gktw.volunteerportal.net and fill in the current password: volunteer

*NikkiBell*
06-24-2011, 11:58 AM
Here we go. :)

sayhello
06-24-2011, 12:08 PM
I'm already scheduled to volunteer for a full day on Dec 8... :confused3

But this is a great idea. :)

Sayhello

myweegirls
06-24-2011, 03:08 PM
Hi Nikki,

Great idea! Eric (DEA on the boards) and I are interested in signing on for that morning. We won't have a car, so we'll have to sort out transportation. We'll both be first-time volunteers, at last!

XO
Liz

myweegirls
06-24-2011, 03:09 PM
Sorry - yes, please go with PM for me! Thanks. :)

XO
Liz

safetymom
06-24-2011, 03:30 PM
Please sign my daughter Katie and I up. I would like to volunteer with the photographer and Katie would like to drive the bus again.

*NikkiBell*
06-24-2011, 04:00 PM
The last I talked to Connie they only had the shift in the Gingerbread House serving breakfast available from 7:30-11 am. Other groups will be working the other locations. Still interested?

safetymom
06-24-2011, 04:28 PM
Keep us on the list for now. Thanks.

Halloweenqueen
06-24-2011, 05:51 PM
I would love to do this, but I have a tour planned. I'm going to have to look over my trip plans. Luckily I have a great TA! :thumbsup2

Sugardimples
06-26-2011, 09:05 AM
My partner and I would love to do this. Please PM me. Thank you for thinking of and organizing this!

*NikkiBell*
06-30-2011, 08:15 PM
Just bumping this in case there are more volunteers out there! :)

TSWJan78
07-01-2011, 07:00 AM
Count me in.. Can't wait!!

Sugardimples
07-09-2011, 11:24 PM
Bump

*NikkiBell*
07-12-2011, 04:58 PM
Please look at the first post in this thread for important information from our volunteer coordinator.

evildiva
07-12-2011, 05:25 PM
Please add me to the volunteer list. I'm planning on renting a car, so I can drive probably three others if they need a lift from the property. I'll be staying at Pop Century. Please PM me and we can trade information.

*NikkiBell*
08-20-2011, 04:24 PM
Hi All,

I just heard from our contact at GKTW. If you have signed up or are interested in volunteering on December 9th, please complete the following by the end of September. They need to confirm how many are interested as soon as possible.

UPDATE: Please complete the following before the end of September if you still plan on volunteering.

Step 1: Completing a Give Kids the World Volunteer Application:

• Visit www.gktw.org and click on the “Volunteer” tab
• Click the link for the Online Volunteer Application
• Volunteers should complete the application in its entirety
• Please ensure to list the appropriate Group Name in the box provided, which is DIS Unplugged

Step 2:

Completing a Volunteer Background Check (ONLY for those 18 or older):
• Visit http://gktw.volunteerportal.net and fill in the current password: volunteer

Sugardimples
08-21-2011, 01:32 AM
Will do, Nikki. Thanks!

evildiva
08-23-2011, 10:35 PM
Thanks for putting this together Nikki! I have filled out the form (twice for good measure). Also, I previously posted that I could provide rides, my car is now full with four additional riders. Can't wait to meet everyone!

Dian-er
08-27-2011, 10:26 AM
I just filled out the volunteer application, will plan to be there Dec 9.
Thanks for putting ths together.

*NikkiBell*
08-27-2011, 10:58 AM
Katie and Diana, could you both please PM me your first and last name? I need to pass it along to GKTW.

EDIT on 11/20: Wow. Total senior moment. How could I ask Diana her last name when I already know it? ROFL Sorry about that.

TSWJan78
08-29-2011, 11:01 AM
Just letting you know all my "stuff" is in!! Can't wait to meet you Diana!!

ninecrayons
08-30-2011, 07:09 AM
Is there still room on the volunteer squad? If so I'm definitely interested.

*NikkiBell*
08-30-2011, 08:08 PM
Cristen, there should be room. Send your paperwork in. :)

safetymom
08-30-2011, 08:12 PM
Nikki, please take Katie and I off the list. Something has come up and I don't think we will make it.

TSWJan78
08-30-2011, 09:20 PM
Is there still room on the volunteer squad? If so I'm definitely interested.

YEA!! Can't wait to see you!!!

Nikki, please take Katie and I off the list. Something has come up and I don't think we will make it.

:sad2: Nooo!!! I was so looking forward to seeing you two again Kathy!!

*NikkiBell*
08-30-2011, 09:57 PM

So sorry to hear this! Let me know if this changes. I'll email them and let them know.

DisMullins
10-05-2011, 11:02 AM
I cannot believe that in all my planning, I have somehow missed this thread!! My mother & I are coming down and have already filled out all paperwork and been assigned to work that whole day (7-4, I think...lost the email! :sad2:). We would love to meet up with other DISers, especially since it is because of the DIS that I even know of GKTW and want to volunteer. :lovestruc

They will have us down as Jessica Mullins & Dianna Smith. Nikki, I don't know if you can contact them to let them know we are with your group or what. In the meantime, I'll be searching through my emails (again!!) :surfweb: trying to find my contact's name as well as where they assigned us.

Let me know what else you need from me! Oh, and we are staying at the Pop. I saw that some are carpooling. If any others want to do that, our plan was to catch a taxi there and back.

:banana::banana: I'm so excited I found this!! :dance3:

DisMullins
10-05-2011, 02:21 PM
I cannot believe that in all my planning, I have somehow missed this thread!! My mother & I are coming down and have already filled out all paperwork and been assigned to work that whole day (7-4, I think...lost the email! :sad2:). We would love to meet up with other DISers, especially since it is because of the DIS that I even know of GKTW and want to volunteer. :lovestruc

They will have us down as Jessica Mullins & Dianna Smith. Nikki, I don't know if you can contact them to let them know we are with your group or what. In the meantime, I'll be searching through my emails (again!!) :surfweb: trying to find my contact's name as well as where they assigned us.

Let me know what else you need from me! Oh, and we are staying at the Pop. I saw that some are carpooling. If any others want to do that, our plan was to catch a taxi there and back.

:banana::banana: I'm so excited I found this!! :dance3:

I just heard back from someone at GKTW. We are assigned to the Carousel from 8-11a then at Katie's Kitchen from 11-3p.

snowwhitenyc
11-03-2011, 12:04 PM
Hi all,

Just wanted to jump in and say that I'll be sure to sign up for some shifts at GKTW on this day as well -- would love to meet some DISers!

I would also be happy to help with the carpool if needed. I can fit 3 more in my little Jetta.

DisMullins
11-03-2011, 12:09 PM
Hi all,

Just wanted to jump in and say that I'll be sure to sign up for some shifts at GKTW on this day as well -- would love to meet some DISers!

I would also be happy to help with the carpool if needed. I can fit 3 more in my little Jetta.

Hi!! My mother and I are scheduled to work two shifts that day; 8-3:30ish, I think. We would love to take you up on the offer of riding if possible. We will be staying at the Pop with no car and had just planned on taking a taxi. We can pay you gas money?? :goodvibes If it is way outta the way for you, no worries.

I'm very excited to get to volunteer at GKTW and especially with other DISers!! :yay:

snowwhitenyc
11-04-2011, 12:37 PM
Sure, that's no problem! No gas money required, it would be my pleasure! We can coordinate as it gets a little closer and see if anyone else wants to jump in.

TSWJan78
11-18-2011, 10:45 AM
3 weeks from today!!! Does anyone need a ride?!?

*NikkiBell*
11-18-2011, 04:59 PM
Hi All,

I just wanted to let you know that this is the final list of volunteers. All of the below applicants have returned the appropriate paperwork and are on the schedule:

Daniel A.
Elizabeth A.
Katherine B.
Cristen C.
Tara D.
Destiny M.
Mary Anne M.
Marie S.
Diana V.

Please check this thread prior to your leaving for DAP so you have specifics about arrival procedures. :)

Dian-er
11-28-2011, 08:45 AM
I may not be able to go, I didn't realise that the 9th is a Fri. If I'm back to work, which I hope is the case, I won't have the PTO time to take off. I used it all when I fell & crushed a vertebra in my back, have been out on short term disability. I'll keep you posted, see the Dr Wed am & will have a better idea of my status.

Mouse Skywalker
11-28-2011, 11:44 AM
I may not be able to go, I didn't realise that the 9th is a Fri. If I'm back to work, which I hope is the case, I won't have the PTO time to take off. I used it all when I fell & crushed a vertebra in my back, have been out on short term disability. I'll keep you posted, see the Dr Wed am & will have a better idea of my status.Just wanted to wish you well on your recovery Diana!

myweegirls
11-29-2011, 07:26 AM
Ouch, Diana, that doesn't sound like any kind of fun. I hope you're well on the road to recovery!

XO
Liz

*NikkiBell*
11-29-2011, 04:29 PM
Hi Diana,

I already responded to your second PM and took you off of the schedule, as requested. I look forward to seeing you on Saturday at the HP event! Hugs!

*NikkiBell*
12-01-2011, 08:43 PM
Hi All,

Things are getting close! Please check the first post in this thread for an important update. If you have any questions, please PM me or leave them in this thread. I will be flying in while you are volunteering, but can be reached before your shift begins. Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to make this experience even more rewarding than I already know it will be!

TSWJan78
12-01-2011, 09:09 PM
I will have my DIS shirt on and have a few extras... Let me know if you want me to bring 1 for you( they are large and xl). I have a cute large ladies shirt that does not fit me anymore you are welcome to keep if anyone wants it.

ninecrayons
12-02-2011, 01:10 PM
I am so excited to do this! I was so genuinely moved by what Pamela Landwirth said on the podcast from the cruise and from the video we saw before Cars 2. I think it's going to be amazing to have the opportunity to really give back. :goodvibes

Looking forward to seeing everyone there!

bleukarma
12-04-2011, 07:07 PM
I'm so sad I missed this volunteer opportunity for Give Kids the World. It would be great to go over there and give some of my time. I have a few things on their wish list that I have collected to take over. One day I will make it over there. Too bad I missed the chance to with some great people. Hopefully next time!

snowwhitenyc
12-05-2011, 11:34 AM
Hi Bleukarma,

I noticed that there are still 6 openings for the Gingerbread House on Friday morning (that's the shift that the DIS team is signed up for). If you're interested, GKTW might be able to process your paperwork quickly so you can join in. NikkiBell has been coordinating this so I don't want to speak out of turn...but if you would like to do it, maybe you can send her a PM and see if it is possible?

And if not this time, I'm sure there will be other opportunities! GKTW will always be ready to welcome volunteers :)

*NikkiBell*
12-05-2011, 05:46 PM
I'm so sad I missed this volunteer opportunity for Give Kids the World. It would be great to go over there and give some of my time. I have a few things on their wish list that I have collected to take over. One day I will make it over there. Too bad I missed the chance to with some great people. Hopefully next time!

Hi Bleukarma,

I noticed that there are still 6 openings for the Gingerbread House on Friday morning (that's the shift that the DIS team is signed up for). If you're interested, GKTW might be able to process your paperwork quickly so you can join in. NikkiBell has been coordinating this so I don't want to speak out of turn...but if you would like to do it, maybe you can send her a PM and see if it is possible?

And if not this time, I'm sure there will be other opportunities! GKTW will always be ready to welcome volunteers :)

Are you interested? If so, PM me your first and last name. I'll contact GKTW and see if this is still a possibility being that there is room on the schedule there. Please let me know ASAP.

bleukarma
12-06-2011, 09:52 AM
Are you interested? If so, PM me your first and last name. I'll contact GKTW and see if this is still a possibility being that there is room on the schedule there. Please let me know ASAP.

It's too late for me to get the day off work :( If I would've joined the boards earlier then I would've known about it and would be able to schedule time, but this close to Friday, I can't do it. Hopefully I will be able to join you guys in the future. I will keep my eye on this section of the boards.

sayhello
12-06-2011, 11:25 AM
So I'm scheduled to volunteer at GKTW on Thursday (I'd committed to that way before this group opportunity came up.) I just got a call from GKTW, and the woman who called was kind of appalled that I was planning on taking a taxi from Pop Century to GKTW. She suggested Mears (they couldn't offer anything besides a town car at $47 each way or a taxi at $30 each way) or the bus. The bus sounded OK until I checked and it would take a minimum of 3 buses and almost 2 hours each way! :eek:

I'm wondering if I'm over thinking this, and should just switch to volunteering with you guys on Friday (if you'll have me!) and if there's room in a car with you guys. I was going to call them back (she gave me a direct number, although I didn't catch her name!) and see what they thought after I checked with you guys & saw what you thought.

So, what do you think? Honestly, I'd rather give the $60 to GKTW...

Sayhello

snowwhitenyc
12-06-2011, 12:27 PM
SayHello -- yes, a cab to and from GKTW can be a little pricey. I am picking up some folks from Pop on Friday morning and there is room for one more in my car -- would be happy to have you join!

Alternatively, what time are you scheduled to volunteer on Thursday? I am sure I am headed over there at some point and I could easily swing by Pop Century.

Let me know if I can help!

sayhello
12-06-2011, 12:35 PM
SayHello -- yes, a cab to and from GKTW can be a little pricey. I am picking up some folks from Pop on Friday morning and there is room for one more in my car -- would be happy to have you join!

Alternatively, what time are you scheduled to volunteer on Thursday? I am sure I am headed over there at some point and I could easily swing by Pop Century.

Let me know if I can help!Thanks so much. I'm scheduled Thursday from noon to 9pm. That's part of the problem, getting done so late. I'd really like to join the group, but I hate to leave GKTW short on Thursday (but I guess they're already short on Friday?)

I'm not sure why I'm so conflicted about this! Since you volunteer there so much, do you have a feel for how they'd feel about me switching?

Thanks,
Sayhello

sayhello
12-06-2011, 12:42 PM

Let me know if I can help!OK, so I called back to GKTW, and spoke to a different person, and she was totally cool with me switching to join you guys on Friday. So I would very much like to take you up on your offer of a ride for Friday from Pop. I'll PM you my contact info.

Thanks!
Sayhello

snowwhitenyc
12-06-2011, 01:07 PM
Great! Yes, you are very thoughtful to be concerned about switching shifts...but after spending some time there, I see it happens ALL the time.

Giving several days' notice is fine -- the only real problem comes when people call at 7:15am to say they won't make it that day for their 7:30 shift. That becomes problematic. But your Thursday shifts will just go back into the pool and I'm sure someone else will pick them up!

DisMullins
12-07-2011, 03:59 PM

Hey so is there still room for me and my mother? I've been swamped at work this week and now with finalizing everything to leave tomorrow, I haven't been on here to communicate with you! I just saw the other post about a taxi...ouch! :scared1: That's mighty high for a cab fare. But I really want this experience and will do what it takes :lovestruc If we can still work it out, I'll PM you my digits, as we fly out in the morning.

DisMullins
12-07-2011, 04:07 PM
I will have my DIS shirt on and have a few extras... Let me know if you want me to bring 1 for you( they are large and xl). I have a cute large ladies shirt that does not fit me anymore you are welcome to keep if anyone wants it.

I'd love to borrow one (or two)! My mother and I are new to the DIS gang, this being our first event! We'd prob have a LG and XL? Just whatever you have. That would be awesome!! We had signed up before this group got together so we are at the Carousel in the a.m. then Katie's Kitchen in the p.m. but I want to come see the group! :wave2:

snowwhitenyc
12-08-2011, 01:58 PM
Hi DisMullins -- yes, you were the "other folks" I was referring to! Will call you and SayHello today to coordinate!

Looking forward to seeing you and others tomorrow :)

evildiva
12-14-2011, 01:44 PM
Just wanted to thank NikkiBell for organizing this. What a great time! I highly encourage anyone who is thinking about going to GKTW to volunteer to do it. We had an amazing time! THe tour was very enlightening as well.

TSWJan78
12-14-2011, 01:51 PM
Tobi - Can you please post the group photo.. I would love to see it.

sayhello
12-14-2011, 02:50 PM
Just wanted to thank NikkiBell for organizing this. What a great time! I highly encourage anyone who is thinking about going to GKTW to volunteer to do it. We had an amazing time! THe tour was very enlightening as well.I totally agree with this! :thumbsup2

Tobi - Can you please post the group photo.. I would love to see it.Here you go:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v22/Hewene/DISapalooza%202011/P1080591.jpg

This was such a fabulous experience! I highly recommend it to everyone!

Sayhello

*NikkiBell*
12-14-2011, 05:42 PM
I am so glad that everyone had an enriching experience. I second that it is a great thing to do during a trip and would recommend it to all.