PDA

View Full Version : Commando v. Casual - The Innate Planner Battles the Inner Pirate - 2-8 P22

Pages : 1 [2]

TarzansKat
08-15-2011, 09:58 AM
So, we're getting ready to go to my sister's this week, and opted to drive instead of flying. One, because flights are so expensive and you have to change planes to get to her which is so not fun with two kids and an infant car seat, and two, because my father offered to come visit and drive with me.

Since some of you have done the drive to Disney, any suggestions for me? This trip isn't as long, but it's definitely long enough, 15+ hours in the car.

We're leaving on Wednesday night after feeding the kids dinner. We're going to put them in their PJs and let them fall asleep in the car. The hope is that they'll sleep for the majority of the ride. I plan on taking the first shift, since I think I'll be happier driving in the dark on roads I'm familiar with.

We're taking the DS and a portable DVD player for Nemo. Squirt is kind of a lost cause because he's not really entertained by things in the car. I've got a couple handheld toy cell phones that he might like to play with and smaller toys, and sometimes he'll actually just stare out the window and watch the world go by.

Any suggestions to make our road trip easier / more pleasant? I'll be bringing snacks and drinks so we won't have to worry about what they have at rest stops. I just figured my fellow DIS friends would have some suggestions I may not have thought of, so fire away! :goodvibes

eandesmom
08-15-2011, 09:13 PM
Cheers!

LoriH91
08-16-2011, 12:13 AM
popcorn:: Waiting to see what they say, too! We're contemplating driving straight thru on our trip in January. 24 hours! :scared1: We did actually drive to Montana & back, a few years ago, but we stopped for the night(s). That was 1800 miles one way!

Let's see, for that trip the baby was almost 1. I bought some big magnetic toys for him & a new cookie sheet. Nemo could use that, too. Our older kids loved the magnets & DVDs. We also had DSs, so some of them played those. Someone was always sitting by the baby, so he had somebody to talk to, at least while they weren't sleeping! :lmao:

So, we're getting ready to go to my sister's this week, and opted to drive instead of flying. One, because flights are so expensive and you have to change planes to get to her which is so not fun with two kids and an infant car seat, and two, because my father offered to come visit and drive with me.

Since some of you have done the drive to Disney, any suggestions for me? This trip isn't as long, but it's definitely long enough, 15+ hours in the car.

We're leaving on Wednesday night after feeding the kids dinner. We're going to put them in their PJs and let them fall asleep in the car. The hope is that they'll sleep for the majority of the ride. I plan on taking the first shift, since I think I'll be happier driving in the dark on roads I'm familiar with.

We're taking the DS and a portable DVD player for Nemo. Squirt is kind of a lost cause because he's not really entertained by things in the car. I've got a couple handheld toy cell phones that he might like to play with and smaller toys, and sometimes he'll actually just stare out the window and watch the world go by.

Any suggestions to make our road trip easier / more pleasant? I'll be bringing snacks and drinks so we won't have to worry about what they have at rest stops. I just figured my fellow DIS friends would have some suggestions I may not have thought of, so fire away! :goodvibes

TarzansKat
08-16-2011, 08:10 AM
Cheers!

Cheers!

popcorn:: Waiting to see what they say, too! We're contemplating driving straight thru on our trip in January. 24 hours! :scared1: We did actually drive to Montana & back, a few years ago, but we stopped for the night(s). That was 1800 miles one way!

Wow, 1800 one way! :scared1: My trip is 1800 total!

I have a friend who drives straight through to Disney, I could ask her what she does if you want. :goodvibes

Let's see, for that trip the baby was almost 1. I bought some big magnetic toys for him & a new cookie sheet. Nemo could use that, too. Our older kids loved the magnets & DVDs. We also had DSs, so some of them played those. Someone was always sitting by the baby, so he had somebody to talk to, at least while they weren't sleeping! :lmao:

Wow, the magnets are a great idea! I never thought of that. :thumbsup2

jenb1023
08-16-2011, 04:22 PM
I am so glad you went to the BD, even though I am sure it was extremely hard, so you could make new memories of being there with Nana and your guys. I am sure Nana knew exactly what you were feeling. No matter how old your child is when it happens I think having a child die before you has to be the most awful thing in the world to survive. So cheers to all of you for your bravery, your emotion and to living!

As for the road trip, I really don't have any suggestions for Squirt. Some other fun things for Nemo might be car bingo (I got a magnetic version at Target) or the license plate game (trying to find one for all 50 states). Good luck!

TarzansKat
08-17-2011, 09:21 AM
I am so glad you went to the BD, even though I am sure it was extremely hard, so you could make new memories of being there with Nana and your guys. I am sure Nana knew exactly what you were feeling. No matter how old your child is when it happens I think having a child die before you has to be the most awful thing in the world to survive. So cheers to all of you for your bravery, your emotion and to living!

Thank you.

As for the road trip, I really don't have any suggestions for Squirt. Some other fun things for Nemo might be car bingo (I got a magnetic version at Target) or the license plate game (trying to find one for all 50 states). Good luck!

The license plate game! I forgot about that one. :goodvibes

Mndisneygirl
08-18-2011, 02:30 PM
CHEERS!

For road trips (we drive from MN), you've got all the basics covered. It's tougher with a baby who doesn't really entertain with lots of stuff.

We play the license plate game ALL the time - here at home!

TarzansKat
08-18-2011, 04:53 PM
CHEERS!

For road trips (we drive from MN), you've got all the basics covered. It's tougher with a baby who doesn't really entertain with lots of stuff.

We play the license plate game ALL the time - here at home!

Cheers!

Have I now somehow elevated that toast to something with more meaning? Oooo, the power. :lmao: Well, I like to think so anyway. :rotfl2:

Charleston Princess
08-21-2011, 10:22 AM
Good luck on the drive! I am sure it will be an experience but with lots of toys and games, it will hopefully be a bearable experience!

I am so glad you were able to eat at Brown Derby and think of all the wonderful memories you have of eating there with your mom. I know it must have meant a lot to your grandmother to be able to share it with her. :hug:

TarzansKat
08-22-2011, 09:21 AM
Good luck on the drive! I am sure it will be an experience but with lots of toys and games, it will hopefully be a bearable experience!

Thank you! We're actually at my sister's right now, so I'll take your good luck for our drive home tonight!

The kids did fairly well. Nemo only woke up once, but Squirt woke up every time we stopped for gas, and sometimes he'd be awake and cry a little before going back to sleep. Harder for me to hear than for him to go through, I'm sure.

Same plans to leave after dinner around bed time tonight, so we'll see how it goes. :goodvibes

I am so glad you were able to eat at Brown Derby and think of all the wonderful memories you have of eating there with your mom. I know it must have meant a lot to your grandmother to be able to share it with her. :hug:

It was really very nice. A wonderful new memory.

pooh'smate
08-26-2011, 08:43 PM
I think everybody at Panera must think I am nuts for crying while I look at my computer screen but your last post touched me so deeply. I am so emotional this week and I am really missing my mom. I know I am so blessed to still have my mom living but I miss being able to see and talk to her on a regular basis. Life is so short and you never know how much time you are going to have and I have had 5 people close to me in the past 2 years have their mother pass so I really do know how I am blessed. Anyways I am so sorry for rambling but I have learned from you and the others to truely savor and live life to the fullest. Cheers!!!!

All7OfUs
08-27-2011, 01:28 AM
Been there and done this... albeit my myself. Same place; to my grandma. Just as moving for me I think. Nuff said.

TarzansKat
08-27-2011, 11:59 AM
I think everybody at Panera must think I am nuts for crying while I look at my computer screen but your last post touched me so deeply. I am so emotional this week and I am really missing my mom. I know I am so blessed to still have my mom living but I miss being able to see and talk to her on a regular basis. Life is so short and you never know how much time you are going to have and I have had 5 people close to me in the past 2 years have their mother pass so I really do know how I am blessed. Anyways I am so sorry for rambling but I have learned from you and the others to truely savor and live life to the fullest. Cheers!!!!

Cheers to you, my love! You appreciate what you have, and I think that's the key. I'm happy you're in my life.

Probably should have put a disclaimer on this post.

Do not read whilst in public, esp. Panera. ;)

Been there and done this... albeit my myself. Same place; to my grandma. Just as moving for me I think. Nuff said.

:grouphug:

TarzansKat
09-08-2011, 12:11 PM
Hey, folks! I haven't fallen off the face of the planet. :goodvibes Nemo started first grade, and we're all getting into our new routines. I'm hoping to get a new chapter up soon. :thumbsup2

KatMark
09-08-2011, 12:12 PM
Hey, folks! I haven't fallen off the face of the planet. :goodvibes Nemo started first grade, and we're all getting into our new routines. I'm hoping to get a new chapter up soon. :thumbsup2

We'll be here. I've been enjoying your FB updates. :goodvibes

jenb1023
09-08-2011, 05:39 PM
Hope Nemo is enjoying first grade!

eandesmom
09-08-2011, 05:40 PM

First day of school will do that do you! Actually the week before and the week after!

Charleston Princess
09-09-2011, 05:55 AM
We'll be here when things calm down at your place. :goodvibes

jenjolt
09-09-2011, 08:36 AM
Will be here whenever you are ready!! Hope the first week went well for Nemo!!!!!! I'm sure he was one excited boy!!!!!!

TarzansKat
09-09-2011, 08:54 AM
Hope Nemo is enjoying first grade!

He is, it's been awesome. :thumbsup2

First day of school will do that do you! Actually the week before and the week after!

Yes, we're definitely getting into it, and figuring out our routine. :lmao:

We'll be here when things calm down at your place. :goodvibes

Thanks!

Will be here whenever you are ready!! Hope the first week went well for Nemo!!!!!! I'm sure he was one excited boy!!!!!!

Thank you! He was super excited, and has been enjoying it ever since.

Mndisneygirl
09-09-2011, 01:30 PM
No worries - I haven't been able to read much anyway!! :laughing: So you actually did me a favor!

Glad Nemo is liking first grade! It's one of my favorites. So many toothless smiles!!

Ready when you are!
popcorn::

TarzansKat
09-10-2011, 08:50 AM
No worries - I haven't been able to read much anyway!! :laughing: So you actually did me a favor!

In that case, good. :lmao:

Glad Nemo is liking first grade! It's one of my favorites. So many toothless smiles!!

Ready when you are!
popcorn::

Chapters, yes I said, chapterS, are coming up!:thumbsup2

TarzansKat
09-10-2011, 08:59 AM
If someone was going to make your life into The Great Movie Ride, what scenes do you think they’d pick?

Just your random thought for this morning, courtesy of me. And it doesn’t have to be rhetorical, if you’d actually like to answer, feel free! ;)

After lunch at the Brown Derby, we had some time to kill before the boys were going to ride the new and improved Star Tours. We opted to check out a classic favorite, The Great Movie Ride.

You know…I thought this might be hard for me, but I don’t think I fully appreciated how difficult until I was actually on it. More specifically, when we hit the Wizard of Oz. I’m jumping ahead, though.

Nana has some mobility issues, and opts to rent an ECV while we’re in the parks and plan to be covering a lot of ground. Let’s face it, that’s a lot of walking for anyone! So, usually, we enter rides a little bit differently, if she’s allowed to use the ECV all the way through. This was the case in the movie ride. She was able to ride all the way down the queue, and then pull into the staging area where we embarked. We got the back row of one of the trams, and I wasn’t really paying attention to which one it was.

I should have, because I could have gotten excited even sooner.

We got the cowboy!!!!!

I haven’t had the cowboy in YEARS. I was stoked. He was pretty good. The memory might be a little better in my head than the reality, but I was just so thankful not to have the gangster again.

Squirt got a little bit restless during the ride, and I have to say, this is one of those times I was so grateful we were in a back row. With no one behind us. And due to the fact that it was the scene from Aliens, it was super dark. And no one was looking at me. So I nursed him. I must say, I got extremely efficient at nursing at Disney. Honestly, you’d never even know I was doing it. And on a dark ride, when everyone else is distracted? Perfect timing. Never mind the CM manning the cameras backstage. I’m sure they’ve seen far worse. :lmao:

Anyway, it didn’t really hit me that this ride would be so hard for me until we got the Wizard of Oz. And I just lost it. Not wanting to scare my children or my family, I lost it silently. I’m glad no one looked at me then, because the tears were just streaming down my face. Couple that with the scene from Gone with the Wind at the end and I was pretty much done for. I left that ride happy for the funny parts, glad I went on it with Squirt for the first time, but really hurting for Mom.

To lighten the situation, I decided it was time for Squirt to meet his very first character. Who better than Sorceror Mickey? We headed over to the Art of Animation building and used the stealthy back entrance.

Let me tell you, the line for Mickey was super loooooooooooooong. Squirt and I waited in line while MJS and Nemo played at the various kiosks, and Nana waited above decks to take an aerial shot. Eventually, it was our turn, and, not surprisingly, Squirt LOVED Mickey Mouse. I mean…what’s not to love? There are some great pictures from this first encounter, and I was really feeling great afterwards.

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll289/tarzanskat/DSCI0081-1.jpg

We let the kids play around some more. Nemo and Squirt had fun with this, Nemo was adamant about getting everything to line up just right.

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll289/tarzanskat/DSCI0083-1.jpg

I think at this point in our family vacation, Nana and I went rogue.

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll289/tarzanskat/DSCI0085-1.jpg

Pirates. pirate: (No, we did not actually operate the ECV with the baby in the basket. But it makes for a good photo op, no?)

The boys still had some waiting to do for Star Tours, and wanted to go to the Indiana Jones Stunt Show Spectacular. I had no desire to do that with the baby so close to nap time, so Nana and I did a little shopping…I don’t think we bought anything, more just looked around our favorite shops on the main drag, and of course, the Villain Candy Store. When we’d had our fill, and enjoyed all the ambience of Star Wars weekends, she and I made the command decision to go to Epcot.

It was perfect timing. As we strolled out and were getting ready to pick up a boat docked right there, Squirt was sleeping. And he slept the whole boat ride, which I have to say, was a lovely respite from the parks.

It was at this point that either I called Tink or she called me. I can’t remember which. We had a lovely chat, and before I knew it, it was time to head into Epcot.

Just me, Nana, and Squirt.

What kind of adventures would we find?

Next Chapter (http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=42578987&postcount=274)

TarzansKat
09-10-2011, 09:09 AM
I just want to put this out there right now.

This was one of the loveliest afternoons I’ve ever spent in Epcot. It was spontaneous and relaxing and even though it had been a loose part of our initial vacation plans, it was so very pirate.

Missing Mom so much on the Great Movie Ride made me extremely mindful of who I was with. I was so glad to share this time with Nana. I was so glad to share this afternoon with Squirt. As the second born, he’s behind on Disney trips. ;) Nemo’s gotten quite a bit of fun time with Nana and my mother in the World, and although I’m certainly sad he won’t get his Mimi there physically, I knew she was with us. And what a treasure, how lucky, how blessed are we that he could spend that afternoon with his great grandmother, just having fun.

We stopped briefly at the shop near the International Gateway so Nana could get her ECV, and while we were feeling all leisurely, I snapped this.

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll289/tarzanskat/DSCI0086-1.jpg

Although I’d had the grandest of plans to continue our traditional toast in France, neither one of us was really in the mood for more champagne at this point. And I’d already told Nana on the boat ride over that I just couldn’t linger in France, and I didn’t want to shop there. I wasn’t sure how I’d feel about it before the trip, but when we were there, so obviously without Mom…I just wasn’t ready.

I had the most lovely plans to make that champagne toast to my mother, and it never happened. I don’t regret that about this trip, persay, I just…wish I could have been strong enough to honor her out loud. I never quite made it there.

So we strolled.

Or rather, I strolled an empty stroller and Nana rode in her ECV. See, at a certain point after waking up and having spent so much time in the stroller, Squirt decided he’d had enough. Thank goodness we (yourselves and me included) all talked about my bringing the baby carrier just in case! I’d pop it in the bottom of the stroller in the morning, and today, I was really glad I had it. I put my park bag in the bottom, took out the carrier, got Squirt all strapped in and we were ready to walk.

We made our way around the World Showcase, ducking in wherever we liked, but we had a specific destination in mind.

Now I know I have a dairy allergy. But sometimes, if I’ve been really good, I can have a little bit without it killing me. And Tink told me about the new caramel shop in Germany, and I thought, why not? So Nana and I each got a little snack there, and proceeded to sit down with them and enjoy.

We picked a bench overlooking the lagoon, and it was one of those moments.

Unscripted. Unplanned.

Amazing.

There was Nana, Squirt, and me enjoying our treats. I got a chocolate caramel filled cookie, and I shared it with Squirt…I figured why not! Nana…I think she got a caramel pecan square. We traded bites, and we sat, and…well, we just sat. And people watched.

And you know what? It just occurred to me right now that this is up there with my favorite Nana moment I discussed in my pre trip report. For those of you who didn’t read it, it was a particular trip when I was in high school, and it was a pretty big family group that was there. Everyone felt like doing stuff and I really just wanted to sit. So Nana and I went to the top of the train station in the Magic Kingdom with a bucket of popcorn and we just sat. We sat for hours. We watched all the people go by, and saved our family seats for the night time parade.

This moment of sitting, with our caramel treats from Germany was just like that. We sat, and watched the lagoon and watched people go by and observed an Epcot afternoon. When a couple near us was trying to take pictures of each other I offered to do one of them together. It was nice. It was a moment. It was…part of what makes us tick.

This down time. This unscriptedness. As commando as this trip got at times, this is one of my favorite moments to look back on.

Squirt was a sweet little mess of chocolate. It reminded me of the first time that Nemo had a Mickey ice cream bar. Messy enough to make you a little nervous, but cute enough that you don’t want to fix it right away.

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll289/tarzanskat/DSCI0089-1.jpg

After we got him cleaned up, we continued our leisurely journey around the World, heading toward the front of the park. I stopped in the art gallery to see if my CM friend was working, and discovered he’d been in the next day. (I’ll talk more about him later, I promise.)

Nana and I decided that since Squirt was in a relatively good mood, we’d take him on Spaceship Earth. On this ride, there was also a different entrance for ECV riders, so we utilized that.

I do have to say…one of the nicest things about this experience…at Spaceship Earth, the cast members could tell that Nana needed a little more time to disembark our time travel vehicle, and when we got off the ride, they slowed down the moving platform for her. Didn’t say anything, or make a fuss, just did it.

It was one of the kindest silent gestures I’ve ever seen. Nana is very big on being able to do things, but she’s fully aware of her limits. And the things is, she’d never really ask you for help, but she’s at a point now where if you are gracious about it, then she will graciously accept it.

Back to the ride.

Squirt.

Oh my goodness. When I took Nemo on rides as a baby, he sat in my lap and was all wide eyes and interest.

Squirt was the same, but he didn’t sit. He would stand. Or move. Or squirm, but all because he wanted to see. And maybe clap his hands. And what are those people doing over there? Is that the smell of Rome burning? ;)

Anyway, going on this ride with him was almost like a work out, as it was on most rides when he was fully awake. Crazy little nut.

We’d touched base with MJS and Nemo and even though they were in Epcot at this point too, we opted not to meet up. They had some rides they wanted to go on and Nana and I were kind of done. We headed back to the resort, taking a cab instead of doing the hike to the bus stop, at Nana’s request. She didn’t think she could do it at that point in the day, and I was kind of grateful, truthfully. It was nice to just be driven back, lickety split.

When we got back to the resort, we dropped things at the room, and then Squirt and I headed to the food court (he was sleeping in the stroller by the time I got there, and yes, he slept through all that activity and lovely pirate music) to procure food for myself and Nana.

And you know what?

Even though I was balancing a stroller, food, and various whatnot, I still waited in line at the bar for my Pina CoLava.

Oh, yeah, baby.

Because that’s how I do vacation.

Pirate. pirate:

Nana and I enjoyed a leisurely meal in her room, at which point Squirt woke up and crawled around a bit before we called it a night.

I have to say, I really enjoyed this day. It had some high and low emotional points, but all in all, it was…awesome.

Now what to do about Toy Story Mania? :scratchin

Next Chapter (http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=42843549&postcount=287)

Mndisneygirl
09-10-2011, 03:28 PM
That was a lovely day!

I was :lmao: at your comment about the CM manning the camera on GMR! They probably didn't notice either! I have got to get the cowboy someday!

Your treats sound so good. I'm glad you didn't suffer.

Id wait in line for the pina colava too!pirate:

TarzansKat
09-10-2011, 08:38 PM
That was a lovely day!

Agreed. :thumbsup2

I was :lmao: at your comment about the CM manning the camera on GMR! They probably didn't notice either! I have got to get the cowboy someday!

This wasn't the only ride I nursed on. I have a friend who's nursed on several rides there as well, and when she gave me her tips for rides that were dark and "easier" all I could think was, they may be dark, but someone's watching you on those little cameras! :lmao:

Your treats sound so good. I'm glad you didn't suffer.

It was so good. And it didn't hurt at all.

Id wait in line for the pina colava too!pirate:

You know what the really cool thing was that I totally forgot to mention? The bartender was the exact same one that waited on Tink and me when we went on our first Disney trip together. It was so funny to see her again, it brought back all these memories of our great girl's only trip. :goodvibes

Charleston Princess
09-11-2011, 07:33 AM
That was a lovely day and an especially lovely afternoon at Epcot with Nana and Squirt enjoying caramel treats. :lovestruc I have a feeling it will be those unanticipated moments like The Wizard of Oz scene for you when I lose it most completely. :hug:

Lady Lallie
09-11-2011, 08:02 AM
What a great update!

I love how that you all split up and did your own things. I also really want some caramel. Mmmmm.

I'm so glad that this trip included your Nana, I think it was probably really good for the both of you to have each other there for this trip back without your Mom. :hug:

TarzansKat
09-11-2011, 11:06 AM
That was a lovely day and an especially lovely afternoon at Epcot with Nana and Squirt enjoying caramel treats. :lovestruc

It was wonderful.

I have a feeling it will be those unanticipated moments like The Wizard of Oz scene for you when I lose it most completely. :hug:

:grouphug:

What a great update!

Thank you!

I love how that you all split up and did your own things. I also really want some caramel. Mmmmm.

Mmmm...caramel would be good right now. I have some decaf creme caramel tea, maybe it's time to make a cup.

This actually won't be the last time we split up. ;)

I'm so glad that this trip included your Nana, I think it was probably really good for the both of you to have each other there for this trip back without your Mom. :hug:

I am really glad that we were there with Nana. I had some awesome moments with her, and I feel blessed.

KatMark
09-11-2011, 11:20 AM
Kat, great updates.

What a lovely day you had. And I'm so glad that Squirt loved Mickey.

And I see nothing wrong with nursing a baby in public...it is a natural thing in all respects. I'm glad you got the Cowboy.

I'm so glad that you, Nana and Squirt were abl eto go over to Epcot while DH and Nemo hung back at DHS.

TarzansKat
09-11-2011, 12:34 PM
Kat, great updates.

Thanks!

What a lovely day you had. And I'm so glad that Squirt loved Mickey.

I love Mickey in his soceror outfit, so I was really pleased that Squirt liked him so much. :goodvibes

And I see nothing wrong with nursing a baby in public...it is a natural thing in all respects. I'm glad you got the Cowboy.

Thank you. You'd be amazed how controversial it is. I live in a state where it's legal, much like Florida, but I could never really bring myself to do it "in public." In my car, yes. Out in the open, not so much.

Now at Disney World? I got pretty bold by the end of the week as to what locations I'd choose.

You know what it is? I used to work in a bank, and so many people know me. At Disney World, we're all virtually strangers! :lmao:

I'm so glad that you, Nana and Squirt were abl eto go over to Epcot while DH and Nemo hung back at DHS.

Me, too! :thumbsup2

Nermel9
09-13-2011, 08:57 PM
Great update Kat! I can only imagine how hard it must have been going on the Great Movie Ride through the Wizard of Oz section for you. :goodvibes

I don't think there's anything wrong with nursing a baby on that ride. :thumbsup2

It's so nice that you got to enjoy this trip with your Nana, and that you guys went off and did your own thing. I love planning a Disney vacation, but the best moments are often unplanned! :)

I seriously cannot wait to try my first Pina Colava in a few weeks, you've talked about them so much! I'm going to take a picture of it just for you and post it on FB! :rotfl:

TarzansKat
09-15-2011, 09:46 AM
Great update Kat! I can only imagine how hard it must have been going on the Great Movie Ride through the Wizard of Oz section for you. :goodvibes

Thank you. :hug:

It's so nice that you got to enjoy this trip with your Nana, and that you guys went off and did your own thing. I love planning a Disney vacation, but the best moments are often unplanned! :)

Pirate. ;)

So true. :thumbsup2

I seriously cannot wait to try my first Pina Colava in a few weeks, you've talked about them so much! I'm going to take a picture of it just for you and post it on FB! :rotfl:

Ha! And I can't wait to see that picture! I hope you like them. I think it's part drink, part atmosphere.

Scratch that, the drink is really really good. The atmosphere is a bonus. :thumbsup2

jenb1023
09-18-2011, 08:23 AM
Another great update! :thumbsup2

Yea for the cowboy and :hug: for the silent meltdown. I'm glad it was dark and you were in the back row so you could let the feelings wash over you without being embarrassed

What a fun decision to go spend the afternoon in Epcot! Sounds like a perfect afternoon to me - leisurely time spent with Nana and Squirt.

Nermel9
09-18-2011, 08:57 AM
Ha! And I can't wait to see that picture! I hope you like them. I think it's part drink, part atmosphere.

Scratch that, the drink is really really good. The atmosphere is a bonus.

I'll definitely like it, I haven't had a Disney drink yet that I haven't liked! I'd say I'll get one in the afternoon our first day at Coronado Springs, and relax in a hammock on the beach, but who am I kidding, by then, I'm sure I'm going to be dragging my DH to a park! :rotfl: I really want to try to take things slow and really enjoy this trip and just do what we want...but it's going to be hard to fight that "go, go, GO" instinct that I have when I'm in Disney! :laughing:

TarzansKat
09-22-2011, 03:48 PM
Another great update! :thumbsup2

Yea for the cowboy and :hug: for the silent meltdown. I'm glad it was dark and you were in the back row so you could let the feelings wash over you without being embarrassed

Thank you. :goodvibes

What a fun decision to go spend the afternoon in Epcot! Sounds like a perfect afternoon to me - leisurely time spent with Nana and Squirt.

It was awesome. I'd venture so far as to say it is now one of my favorite Epcot memories.

I'll definitely like it, I haven't had a Disney drink yet that I haven't liked! I'd say I'll get one in the afternoon our first day at Coronado Springs, and relax in a hammock on the beach, but who am I kidding, by then, I'm sure I'm going to be dragging my DH to a park! :rotfl: I really want to try to take things slow and really enjoy this trip and just do what we want...but it's going to be hard to fight that "go, go, GO" instinct that I have when I'm in Disney! :laughing:

:lmao:

I know how you feel! Trust me. When you get that drink, you're going to want to sit and enjoy it. :thumbsup2

TarzansKat
10-04-2011, 01:20 PM
Or quite vivid fantasies as the case may be.

I know none of you knew that I was actually in Disney World this past weekend. I kept my trip hush on the DIS. I didn't have the energy for a pre trip report, and for personal reasons, I wanted to keep it private.

But there's something that I just have to share with you all.

Some major pixie dust that came my way. There were so many moments on this trip that were awesome, and I knew my mother had a hand in them. I'd like to think good karma and the universe came into play as well.

Because I can finally...finally say...in the culmination of my very first ever DIS pre trip report these four special, sacred words.

TarzansKat met Captain Jack.

pirate:

Next Chapter (http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=43250800&postcount=303)

KatMark
10-04-2011, 01:25 PM
Kat, I'm so glad you met The Captain! And I'm glad you are having a good time. I've started my TR when you get back (it's called: Uppy, Uppy Mr. Andy).

TarzansKat
10-04-2011, 01:29 PM
Kat, I'm so glad you met The Captain! And I'm glad you are having a good time. I've started my TR when you get back (it's called: Uppy, Uppy Mr. Andy).

Oh, I'm back to reality and lasting on my dream come true of meeting the good Captain. Quite frankly, he was so on point, he took me off guard and there are REALLY embarrassing photos of me with him. Ah, bliss.

Will head over to your trip report soon. I can't wait to read it!

jenjolt
10-04-2011, 01:50 PM
WOOT WOOT and what 4 glorious words those are!! YAYAYAYAYAY for you!! I can't wait to hear all about that I'm sure devious and delightful meet!

eandesmom
10-04-2011, 02:00 PM

I know none of you knew that I was actually in Disney World this past weekend. I kept my trip hush on the DIS. I didn't have the energy for a pre trip report, and for personal reasons, I wanted to keep it private.

Some major pixie dust that came my way. There were so many moments on this trip that were awesome, and I knew my mother had a hand in them. I'd like to think good karma and the universe came into play as well.

Because I can finally...finally say...in the culmination of my very first ever DIS pre trip report these four special, sacred words.

pirate:

:cool1:

about time pirate:

Lady Lallie
10-04-2011, 02:10 PM
I'm so glad you got to meet Captain Jack, that is so freaking awesome. pirate:

Mndisneygirl
10-04-2011, 04:39 PM

pirate:

:thumbsup2 I'm hoping we'll get to see some pictures?

Charleston Princess
10-05-2011, 05:46 AM
I saw the pic and comment on FB -- let me just say that I laughed about it all night! LOVED it!!!

TarzansKat
10-05-2011, 12:45 PM
WOOT WOOT and what 4 glorious words those are!! YAYAYAYAYAY for you!! I can't wait to hear all about that I'm sure devious and delightful meet!

Devious would definitely be the appropriate word.

:cool1:

about time pirate:

Dang skippy!

I'm so glad you got to meet Captain Jack, that is so freaking awesome. pirate:

Me, too! It was awesome!

:thumbsup2 I'm hoping we'll get to see some pictures?

Hmmm...I don't usually do pictures of me, and it sort of loses the translation because my facial expressions are hilarious, but I'll be happy to regale you with pictures of Jack! :thumbsup2

I saw the pic and comment on FB -- let me just say that I laughed about it all night! LOVED it!!!

Jackie, that's not even half of what he said to me. :lmao: ;)

Charleston Princess
10-06-2011, 06:47 AM
Jackie, that's not even half of what he said to me. :lmao: ;)

Okay, I need details of this encounter! :laughing:

Mndisneygirl
10-06-2011, 10:10 AM
Okay, I need details of this encounter! :laughing:

uh, yeah. Me too!

TarzansKat
10-17-2011, 08:49 AM
Ha ha! I'll have to see if I can compose something that does it justice.

I just wanted to let you all know that I haven't fallen off the face of the earth, and I'm hoping to get a chapter up some time this week.

Thanks for sticking around!

Native NYer
10-17-2011, 09:03 AM
You finally met Captain Jack? Was he shirtless? :rotfl:

TarzansKat
10-18-2011, 02:14 PM
You finally met Captain Jack? Was he shirtless? :rotfl:

HA!

No.

Hee hee.

NO.

:lmao:

creativeamanda
10-19-2011, 11:33 AM
I wanna meet him, too! :( I should have been there with ya'll!

TarzansKat
11-15-2011, 12:22 PM
I wanna meet him, too! :( I should have been there with ya'll!

Hey, if we're lucky he'll be there again next year, too. :flower3:

TarzansKat
11-15-2011, 12:35 PM
We woke with newfound determination. Toy Story Mania or bust!!!

This is where or trip takes a turn towards the commando and my free spirited pirate self turns into a veritable park commando.

Now don’t be fooled. I am not the only one who decided we should go this route. My husband was convinced, after the 12 hour fast pass debacle of the previous day that we were going to DHS and by gum, we were getting fastpasses that had a reasonable return time.

So that’s what we did. It’s been quite some time since my pre trip report, so a little reminder for you all. Or intent this day was actually to go to Epcot, and we had a reservation at the Coral Reef.

Nana opted not to partake in our crazy TSM quest, and we split up for the day so she could do her own thing.

We headed to Hollywood Studios, and as soon as we got in those gates, my husband took everyone’s tickets, grabbed them, and made a dash for the TSM fastpass machines, while the boys and I took a leisurely stroll in that direction.

Remember that Coral Reef reservation?

Yeah. Our fast pass return time ended up being smack in the middle of it.

:::sigh:::

Well, no harm, no foul, right? I may be commando, but I am pirate, and I know how to change my plans. We opted to try to have lunch in DHS instead of trying to figure out how to make Coral Reef dinner ressie work. It was more important to Nemo to be able to get on TSM, and we were going to make it happen for him.

I headed back to the front of the park by myself to Guest Services while MJS took the boys into the park to goof around a little bit while the waited for me.

You know…I know we all plan with a single-mindedness that could be borderline obsessive. Agonizing over ADRs, trying to figure out the best possible way to fit everything in, and all I can think in my head is…something will be available. Some reservation, somewhere is meant for the TK clan.

And you know what? It was.

I scored a same day lunch ressie at Sci Fi Dine In.

I rock.

No really, I rock.

Well, truthfully, it was luck of the draw, Disney magic, whatever you want to call it. I have to say…and not to offend anyone at all…I always get a little chuckle when people think you can’t change reservations. I should clarify. If it’s your life long dream to eat in the castle, then yes, maybe it would be difficult to score a last minute same day ressie, that I concur.

But I’ve gotten last minute reservations to Citrico’s to the tune of come over now and we’ll seat you. I’ve gotten a reservation at the Crystal Palace on the same day. And while I wouldn’t recommend necessarily that you do a whole vacation like this, I guess my point is, life isn’t so rigid…and reservations aren’t so rigid…as we’d all like to think.

With a little flexibility and some Disney magic, you could end with something that makes you equally as if not happier than what you originally intended.

And that’s how my commando and my pirate meet. Because we were determined to get on TSM, we ended up winging it with or dining.

And let me tell you, it was SO worth it.

Next Chapter (http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=43969851&postcount=317)

Mndisneygirl
11-16-2011, 12:57 PM
That's great that you were able to change it up and get to do what you all wanted to do! I can't wait to hear how good your lunch was and how Nemo liked TSM!!
Having eaten at Coral Reef - it was okay - I bet you enjoyed SciFi better!

KatMark
11-16-2011, 01:01 PM
Good for you being able to get a Sci Fi on the same day...that is awesome.

Can't wait to hear how it went on TSM.

All7OfUs
11-16-2011, 04:41 PM
A beautiful marriage of commando and pirate, indeed! Lovely update!

And yes... you really do ROCK!

Nermel9
11-16-2011, 04:56 PM
I'm learning with each trip how to be a little less commando and a little more pirate: too! There's always going to be somewhere to eat in WDW, and if you're flexible, you can find it! It sometimes works out better than the ADR's you had planned for months before! :banana: Glad it all worked out for you guys! :goodvibes

TarzansKat
11-17-2011, 08:41 AM
That's great that you were able to change it up and get to do what you all wanted to do! I can't wait to hear how good your lunch was and how Nemo liked TSM!!

We were lucky that it all fell into place. Which really makes me think that's how it was meant to be. :goodvibes

Having eaten at Coral Reef - it was okay - I bet you enjoyed SciFi better!

I have eaten at both and liked both...but I will save my description of lunch for the next chapter. ;)

Good for you being able to get a Sci Fi on the same day...that is awesome.

Thanks! I was pretty proud of myself. :lmao:

Can't wait to hear how it went on TSM.

:goodvibes

A beautiful marriage of commando and pirate, indeed! Lovely update!

Thank you, my friend!

And yes... you really do ROCK!

Aw, shucks!

I'm learning with each trip how to be a little less commando and a little more pirate: too! There's always going to be somewhere to eat in WDW, and if you're flexible, you can find it! It sometimes works out better than the ADR's you had planned for months before! :banana: Glad it all worked out for you guys! :goodvibes

Trust me, it's the pirate moments that always work out so great. :thumbsup2

jenjolt
11-18-2011, 10:22 PM
Don't you just love when you can switch plans and it all works out perfectly!! I really want to try Sci Fi again!!! Glad it all worked out!

Charleston Princess
11-19-2011, 07:34 AM
Hurray for scoring Fastpasses for TSM AND a Sci-Fi ressie! Perfect way to spend the day at DHS!

TarzansKat
11-19-2011, 03:36 PM
Don't you just love when you can switch plans and it all works out perfectly!! I really want to try Sci Fi again!!! Glad it all worked out!

Sci Fi is awesome. :thumbsup2

Hurray for scoring Fastpasses for TSM AND a Sci-Fi ressie! Perfect way to spend the day at DHS!

Thanks! It ended up being a really nice day. :goodvibes

oOJulieOo
12-18-2011, 02:39 PM
I'm almost all caught up on your TR. the actual TR is great, as always, but the part that is stuck in my mind is..

I LOVE your kitchen! You guys did such a wonderful job on your house. I'm impressed. Well done!

TarzansKat
02-07-2012, 03:22 PM
I'm almost all caught up on your TR. the actual TR is great, as always, but the part that is stuck in my mind is..

I LOVE your kitchen! You guys did such a wonderful job on your house. I'm impressed. Well done!

Thanks for the kitchen love!

On a side note, I can't believe my thread is still open. I haven't been on here in so long.

Time to rejoin the DIS and get crackin'!

pooh'smate
02-07-2012, 09:46 PM
Time to rejoin the DIS and get crackin'!

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-jVuwHwx4BUQ/Ti2H0YlatLI/AAAAAAAACUA/e4aLT1w2RV4/s1600/20090331-pistachios.jpg

It is good to "see" you again. :goodvibes

Nermel9
02-08-2012, 06:14 AM
So yesterday, I was thinking "I wonder if Kat is ever going to post on the DIS again..."

A few hours later, I come on here, and you posted! Weird!! :scared1: :rotfl:

TarzansKat
02-08-2012, 01:49 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-jVuwHwx4BUQ/Ti2H0YlatLI/AAAAAAAACUA/e4aLT1w2RV4/s1600/20090331-pistachios.jpg

It is good to "see" you again. :goodvibes

Well, I'm definitely a nut, so that picture is appropos. :lmao:

So yesterday, I was thinking "I wonder if Kat is ever going to post on the DIS again..."

A few hours later, I come on here, and you posted! Weird!! :scared1: :rotfl:

Wow! That's pretty cool, we're linked up. :lmao:

TarzansKat
02-08-2012, 02:42 PM
Well, it’s been a while folks. Which means that this trip report is about to change. Not for the worse, I think, but just different. Since it’s been almost a year, and I didn’t write anything down you’re all in for the glossed over “whatever TK can remember from her photographs” report. I hope you still like it.

So! We had time to kill before our Sci Fi Dine In lunch ressie.

What do we do when we have time to kill in DHS?

Goof around, of course!

First, some posing.

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll289/tarzanskat/DSCI0100-1.jpg

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll289/tarzanskat/DSCI0102-1.jpg

Then, some sleeping.

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll289/tarzanskat/DSCI0104-1.jpg

Then, some video games.

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll289/tarzanskat/DSCI0105-1.jpg

Then, some Sparrow-ing. ;)

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll289/tarzanskat/DSCI0103.jpg

And somewhere in there, we saw these guys...

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll289/tarzanskat/DSCI0101.jpg

Well, all of that tomfoolery helped us work up an appetite, and before we knew it, it was time for Sci Fi!

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll289/tarzanskat/DSCI0112-1.jpg

I have to say that lunch here was awesome. For a person with dairy allergies, to be able to eat what I got was so cool. The chef came out to talk with me, and told me I could actually have a “milk” shake. They made me a chocolate milk shake with Tofutti ice cream. I was in HEAVEN. I got to have a chocolate shake and their awesome burger (no cheese) and it was soooo good.

Of course, Nemo loved lunch here because that boy loves him some tv clips. Most especially the cartoons, there’s a Tom and Jerry and then the cat that wants to leave Earth for peace and quiet. He always gets a kick out of those.

Squirt was in an awesome mood too, really turning on the charm for the two people sitting behind us.

All in all, a totally impromptu lunch that ended up being a great vacation memory.

pooh'smate
02-09-2012, 08:43 PM
Well, I'm definitely a nut, so that picture is appropos. :lmao:

:rotfl: Every time I hear the phrase "get cracken" I always thing of the nuts because Lexi loves them and says that phrase all the time. She doesn't even call them pistachios any more she just asks for the get cracken nuts.:goodvibes

TarzansKat
02-10-2012, 08:47 AM
:rotfl: Every time I hear the phrase "get cracken" I always thing of the nuts because Lexi loves them and says that phrase all the time. She doesn't even call them pistachios any more she just asks for the get cracken nuts.:goodvibes

Okay, and anytime someone says cracken, I think of this...

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll289/tarzanskat/kraken-10.jpg

Spelled differently, but all I can think is...

"Release the kraken!!!!" :lmao:

oOJulieOo
02-10-2012, 08:51 AM
I was wondering where you had gone...glad you're back!

Disney is awesome for catering to allergies so well. I'm so glad you got to enjoy a "milk"shake at SciFi!

Sounds like it was a great meal all around.

Nermel9
02-10-2012, 08:43 PM
I really want to go to Sci Fi again, I love those cars! I didn't know they could make a milkshake out of Tofutti, that's awesome! Love Disney! :lovestruc

I notice you have a new ticker! We're going for an anniversary trip too, the beginning of May! I CAN'T WAIT! :banana:

MEK
02-11-2012, 08:24 PM
Your milk shake sounds really delish! Awesome that they have an alternative for dairy. Where else are you going to get that? :confused3

Glad you came back to update! :thumbsup2

Native NYer
02-12-2012, 07:14 AM
Sci Fi is such a fun place!
Glad you were able to get a delish dairy free shake. :goodvibes

TarzansKat
02-12-2012, 04:27 PM
I was wondering where you had gone...glad you're back!

Disney is awesome for catering to allergies so well. I'm so glad you got to enjoy a "milk"shake at SciFi!

Sounds like it was a great meal all around.

Hi! I was around, just not on the DIS. :lmao: Life gets hectic sometimes.

Anyway, I'm glad to be back.

I really want to go to Sci Fi again, I love those cars! I didn't know they could make a milkshake out of Tofutti, that's awesome! Love Disney! :lovestruc

Eating in the cars is so much fun!

I notice you have a new ticker! We're going for an anniversary trip too, the beginning of May! I CAN'T WAIT! :banana:

Cool! Our anniversary is in June but it's not convenient for my husband to take off work then, so we're going end of May. :goodvibes

Your milk shake sounds really delish! Awesome that they have an alternative for dairy. Where else are you going to get that? :confused3

Glad you came back to update! :thumbsup2

Thank you! :goodvibes I'm glad to be back.

Sci Fi is such a fun place!
Glad you were able to get a delish dairy free shake. :goodvibes

Me, too, that shake was awesome.

Charleston Princess
02-18-2012, 08:57 AM
I am so excited to see you back on the DIS, TK! :hug:

What a lovely lunch and score on getting a chocolate shake! That's awesome!

TarzansKat
02-22-2012, 06:20 PM
I am so excited to see you back on the DIS, TK! :hug:

What a lovely lunch and score on getting a chocolate shake! That's awesome!

Aw, shucks, CP. It's nice to see you here, too. :goodvibes