PDA

View Full Version : Does $60 sound like too much for a half sheet cake?

EllenFrasier
06-10-2011, 10:58 PM
We are in the process of ordering a cake for our graduation party. My Dh thinks that $60 is too much to pay for a half a sheet cake. I'll gladly pay more if I don't have to worry about making a cake! What's the going rate for cakes in bakeries?

ah1126
06-10-2011, 11:03 PM
Is that for a plain cake or something fancy? Is it from a local bakery or somewhere like Walmart?

It sounds high to me, but I always make my own and never buy.

Shelly F - Ohio
06-10-2011, 11:08 PM
Are you sure they did not quote you for a full sheet? That is high. I would check out Sams or BJ's

momof1princess
06-10-2011, 11:14 PM
i agree, it's high. our local bakery will do a half sheet cake for about $25.00, and that's decorated any way you want it. i've even taken in party plates for them to copy.

MickeyHereWeCome!
06-10-2011, 11:18 PM
That sounds really high to me. I've never paid more than $30 (and that was a really fancy cake) for 1/2 sheet.

Swan4Me
06-10-2011, 11:24 PM
Bakeries cost way more than grocery stores

I do bakeries for Dobache cakes- but that is only to feed a family

Grocery stores should be in the $25-30 range

nickspace
06-10-2011, 11:26 PM
Sounds way too high!!!

21yankees
06-10-2011, 11:31 PM
I would need more details before saying if it's too high. Is it from a grocery store or a bakery? Whipped creme, butter cream or fondant? What's the filling: fresh fruit, canned fruit, or something different/special?

I worked in a bakery when I was in high school (almost 20 years ago) and I remember then a 1/2 sheet costing $25-$45 but it all depended on the filling, topping, decorations, etc.

steph

clh2
06-10-2011, 11:41 PM
May or may not be out of line, as other posters have mentioned - many factors help to determine the price.

Also adding to the cost - adding one of the "edible pictures" could add $10 or so too.

BabyFu18
06-10-2011, 11:43 PM
It depends on what kind of cake it is, if it's a 1/2 sheet cake with fondant or something sculpted added to it then that's probably a reasonable rate. However, if it's just a plain sheet cake without anything fancy added on, I'd say it's to overpriced. So it just depends on what kind of a cake it is and how extravagant it is. Bakeries are certainly more expensive than grocery stores since the variety is usually greater and if you are wanting some type of speciality cake that you can't get anywhere else you'll pay a premium price for it.

kathie859
06-10-2011, 11:50 PM
Of course if it's from a top bakery with elaborate decoration, that could be the reason.

A normal, flower decorated, personalized 1/2 sheet cake runs between $25-35 in my neck of the woods.:goodvibes

daisyduck123
06-11-2011, 12:44 AM
I just ordered a full sheet cake for DD's high school graduation cake last weekend from Sam's Club (the Sam's Club here is known for abolutely fantastic cakes!). This is a beautifully decorated cake.

The cost came to $35.00.

Lucille1963
06-11-2011, 12:47 AM
I would inquire about the ingredients. If the buttercream frosting is made with actual butter, that's a very good sign. I'm not a fan of basic grocery store cakes, the ingredient lists are too full of chemicals. They may be a lot cheaper, but in my experience you get what you pay for.

mickey&minnie4ever
06-11-2011, 12:50 AM
EllenFraiser:

Where do you live?

bigtinklover
06-11-2011, 01:40 AM
sounds way high to me... but..it does depend on what you have on it..design/frosting wise...still...sounds high:confused3

a1tinkfans
06-11-2011, 07:10 AM
you basically get what you pay for. You can get a basic cake for way less at costco/bjs for less
However, you get what they have in their options,,,too me, Id serve them to kids etc but for anything that I wanted to have real quality, go to a quality bakery and spend the Xtra, which is about what you listed for a basic one.

TnTWalter
06-11-2011, 07:24 AM
If you or a friend has a costco membership, they have good cakes there for a LOT less. $14.99 half sheet? I think.

I ordered one for a baby shower. It was good.

You get a filling if you want too.

Good luck.

reenie1
06-11-2011, 07:36 AM
I just paid $40 for a quarter sheet cake for DD birthday. It is from a very nice local bakery.

Tink-n-MrIncredible
06-11-2011, 07:57 AM
I agree with those who said to go to BJ's, Sams or Costco.

spacemountainmom
06-11-2011, 08:04 AM
I would check out Sam's Club. I always used a bakery that was really spendy and a friend told me about Sam's Club cakes. Ok....they aren't as good as the bakery, but the bakery cakes aren't THAT much better to justify the significantly higher price.

It's graduation....wait to spend the big bucks on the wedding cake!:lovestruc

An_Island_Girl
06-11-2011, 08:33 AM
Although some people really like the cakes at BJ's, Sams Club and Costco, it's just not for us.

We prefer to use a local organic bakery that lists where each ingredient comes from, and lets you customize your special cake any way you'd like it (like a wedding cake, but for any occasion). There is an initial consultation that you bring pictures, ideas, and have a taste session, then we go from there. These cakes cost anywhere from $75+ and the + can get quite pricy depending on how big you want to go.

This is a special occasion, and if the cake is a priority for you, spend whatever you are comfortable with. If you are having a party for just the graduates though, they might not mind an inexpensive Sams Club cake at all. Around here, no one really passes up cake, no matter how wonderful, or not it tastes!

#1hoosierfan
06-11-2011, 08:40 AM
I paid $25 for a quarter sheet cake for ds's birthday. The lady does cakes as a hobby. She hand drew Donald Duck in buttercream icing, so I know it took a long time.

aprilgail2
06-11-2011, 08:47 AM
Sounds spot on for a bakery cake. I got a full sheet cake and it was 125.00.

mjkacmom
06-11-2011, 10:00 AM
Costco sheet cakes are really good, as are our Shoprite cakes (people always ask me where I got it).

elgerber
06-11-2011, 10:12 AM
If you or a friend has a costco membership, they have good cakes there for a LOT less. $14.99 half sheet? I think.

I ordered one for a baby shower. It was good.

You get a filling if you want too.

Good luck.

I love having an occasion that gives me an excuse to order a Costco half sheet!!! They are so yummy!!!! I think they might be $16.99 now, but still cheaper than everywhere else.

bucket o' butter
06-11-2011, 10:24 AM
That seems high to me. I decorate cakes and I charge $26 for a half sheet cake. I know that is a bit lower than most stores, but I don't do it for a living. I wouldn't think you should pay any more than $40 and I still think that would be too much.

bucket o' butter
06-11-2011, 10:25 AM
I love having an occasion that gives me an excuse to order a Costco half sheet!!! They are so yummy!!!! I think they might be $16.99 now, but still cheaper than everywhere else.

I think you are thinking of a quarter sheet cake which is a 9x13 size. A half sheet is 13x18. $14.99 seems way too cheap for a half sheet even if it is Costco.

elgerber
06-11-2011, 10:29 AM
I think you are thinking of a quarter sheet cake which is a 9x13 size. A half sheet is 13x18. $14.99 seems way too cheap for a half sheet even if it is Costco.

Have you ever bought one at Costco? It is a half sheet for that price. It costs less then the quarter sheets at Target and other local grocery stores.

budafam
06-11-2011, 10:38 AM
It sounds about right to me as long as it's not a cheapo Walmart cake.

I decorate cakes and usually charge by the serving. A half sheet serves quite a few people surprisingly and it can get costly. It also depends on what kind of design you're looking at, filling, icing, flavor, etc.

Bakers who charge what grocery stores are charging are giving other bakers a hard time... home made cakes should be more expensive IMO. They take a lot more work and are not just slapped together in mass quantities like grocery stores.

Mom_Rides
06-11-2011, 11:10 AM
I ordered DD's first birthday cake from a local bakery. The cake was decorated so awesome and they gave us her "smash" cake that was in the shape of a number 1 for free. It was a full sheet cake and it cost me $80. One bite into the cake left me wishing that I had just went to Walmart or Meijer. The decoration sure was cool but that cake was not good. The price sounds right if its more then just a standard cake but if you've never been to this bakery before (as I had not) then I would recommend that you do a sampling first.

sticker231
06-11-2011, 11:26 AM
Half sheet cake at Costco $17.99

Judique
06-11-2011, 11:30 AM
We are in the process of ordering a cake for our graduation party. My Dh thinks that $60 is too much to pay for a half a sheet cake. I'll gladly pay more if I don't have to worry about making a cake! What's the going rate for cakes in bakeries?

The bakery close to me (in Maryland) charges that price for a 1/4. It is high. Costco has an $18 cake that is good.

That said, the bakery's cake is excellent! Makes me want to go over and buy a dessert......

scrapquitler
06-11-2011, 11:48 AM

That depends on how delicious it is. If it's really delicious and has beautiful decorations and comes from a bakery rather than somewhere like the grocery store/wal-mart or costco, I would pay it.

I was just looking at the graduation cakes in my grocery store bakery last week. They were $29.99 but they weren't anything special. If I were getting something 'special' and extra nice, I would pay $60 for a graduation cake.

bucket o' butter
06-11-2011, 11:52 AM
Have you ever bought one at Costco? It is a half sheet for that price. It costs less then the quarter sheets at Target and other local grocery stores.

Unfortunately we don't have a Costco near us. That is an awesome price for a half sheet! If they taste good, I would go for it!:):)

elgerber
06-11-2011, 12:03 PM
Unfortunately we don't have a Costco near us. That is an awesome price for a half sheet! If they taste good, I would go for it!:):)

I love them!!!!!!!!! They have a chocolate with a choc. mousse filling and a white with a cream cheese mousse filling, both are sooooooooooooo good!! Thank goodness DS just graduated, so I can get one or two in July :).

mousebymarriage
06-11-2011, 12:44 PM
I just picked up a cake this morning for DS's b-day and the cost was $40 at our town bakery (not grocery store), they make awesome cakes! The cake is 1/4 sheet, chocolate cake, chocolate buttercream icing and chocolate mousse filling...can you tell DS really likes chocolate. Regular decorations and the entire cake (sides only) is covered in chocolate shavings. This is DS's favorite cake and he requests it whenever we have a special occassion. This is his family b-day party, his actual b-day is June 27th but we will be in Disney!!!!

*cake feeds 22-25 people.

Ciciwoowoo
06-11-2011, 01:00 PM
Costco...awesome cakes..cheap prices.

deezeealum
06-11-2011, 01:33 PM
I love them!!!!!!!!! They have a chocolate with a choc. mousse filling and a white with a cream cheese mousse filling, both are sooooooooooooo good!! Thank goodness DS just graduated, so I can get one or two in July :).

we just picked up the choc/choc cake this morning for my daughter's 6th bday party. Costco cakes re amazingly good. Much better then our local grocery stores and our local bakeries charge over $60 for a cake that wasn't that special tasting or looking

RooRach0906
06-11-2011, 02:09 PM
Our Martin's grocery store took over a Local grocery store called Ukrop's they kept the bakery the same and I got a 1/2 sheet of half devil's food and half white cake for DD birthday with buttercream icing for $35. It was oh so yummy! They left the bakery as the Ukrops bakery because in our area most local people LOVE there dessert and cafe foods. In fact, I know many many people who get them to make there wedding cakes. So I personally couldnt pay $60 for a half sheet.

descovy
06-11-2011, 03:52 PM
Ellen, can you give us more info?

Some occasions a Sams/Costco/grocery sheet cake if perfectly adequate. But if you asked a baker to custom make decorations, etc, torte and fill, $60 may be a great deal! Also, what size are we talking? 11x16 (standard) or 12x18?

I sell cakes. I call my 12x18 a half sheet, but it serves 40-60. Homemade cake, homemade buttercream (with butter!) icing, torted and filled. It serves 40-60 people and I charge $65. That is a good deal for a bakery cake, we are talking $1-1.35 a serving. That's downright cheap!

Are you getting a generic spray of roses? Are you asking for fondant cutouts, figurines? Graduation cakes, especially, people request a sheet cake, and say, can you include that she plays basketball and is in drama, her favorite color, her high school emblem, her college emblem, etc., etc., etc., :rotfl2: Yeah, that is a little more involved than piping red and gold flowers and writing Congratulations Sarah on a cake.

Grocery cake is shipped to the store frozen. They slap some crisco-creme on it and take an average of 15 minutes to decorate it. It is assembly line... quick get it done, move on.

Compare that to baking the cake, making the icing, creating a design that incorporates 5 featured without looking haphazard, etc... I might spend 6 hours on that cake, which equates to $10/hr... but that doesn't even count supplies/ingrediants, so yeah $7/hr. Suddenly $60 for a sheet cake sounds cheap! :thumbsup2

So maybe $60 is or isn't too much for a sheet cake. It depends on the details though...

EllenFrasier
06-11-2011, 04:10 PM
OP here. The cake from this bakery feeds 30 - 50 people. It is 3 layers and two fillings. If we want a photo on it, it costs extra. I've had cake from this bakery recently and it was great - Dh called another bakery and it costs $38 with the picture on it. I was so mad at him that I didn't even as him if it was one layer or more layers. He'd frost a box and put it out there if he could get away with it! I don't have parties that often and I am so proud of Ds and it's the only thing he's asked for concerning the party - a cake. I want him to like the cake, not think "yuck" when he bites into it!

descovy
06-11-2011, 04:17 PM
OP here. The cake from this bakery feeds 30 - 50 people. It is 3 layers and two fillings. If we want a photo on it, it costs extra. I've had cake from this bakery recently and it was great - Dh called another bakery and it costs $38 with the picture on it. I was so mad at him that I didn't even as him if it was one layer or more layers. He'd frost a box and put it out there if he could get away with it! I don't have parties that often and I am so proud of Ds and it's the only thing he's asked for concerning the party - a cake. I want him to like the cake, not think "yuck" when he bites into it!

You are paying less than $2/serving for "real" cake with 3 layers and 2 fillings. Costco and the grocery store won't do that you you. I say you are getting a fair deal!

Enjoy your cake!

tasha99
06-11-2011, 05:18 PM
I just looked up what a half sheet cake costs at my favorite bakery--and it's $70, so $60 sounds like a bargain!

Costco and grocery store cakes can't really be compared to an excellent quality bakery cake, imo. It's not even about the decorations--mass produced cakes have things in their frosting that are just kind of wrong on a cake, like Crisco, margarine, or powdered sugar.

So yeah, I'm a cake snob. :snooty: I'm okay with Coscto cakes (I even like them). But I totally understand why they're cheaper than a high quality cake, and I think that for some occasions, the more expensive cake would be worth it. :cloud9:

mrsstats
06-11-2011, 07:09 PM
If he asked for the cake, then I would skip Costco. While they are ok, not what I would want if I wanted a great cake. For a kids party, fine.

Styx Fan
06-11-2011, 08:20 PM
For some occasions, I think a Costco cake is a great choice. They taste good, look OK and feed a crowd. We use them for a lot of receptions after the service at church....Mothers Day, Worker recognition days, etc. Nice for school functions or sports teams. But in my family we are really into our cakes for special things like Baptisms, special birthdays, graduations, etc. For those we go for a nice bakery cake or from an individual who has a home based business whose work we admire. I put grocery stores a step under Costco.

Around here a 1/2 sheet grocery cake is around $22-25 for a basic cake and more for things like pictures. I have not priced a 1/2 sheet.

What the original poster is describing sounds wonderful :banana: and I would pay $60 without blinking. Guess it depends on how a big a priority the cake is. And since that is the big request of the grad, no question I would go for it.

figment3258
06-11-2011, 08:56 PM
I think that is way too much. We have a bakery near us that does a full double layer sheet cake with filling for 40$

mjbaby
06-11-2011, 09:33 PM
It actually sounds about right to me. Quarter sheet at my local grocery runs 30ish for specified colors and so forth, and I paid $130 for half sheet from a true bakery for my husband's 40th (granted, I asked for some special artwork - and they delivered. so it was well worth the cost).

The 4 "Quay"balleros
06-11-2011, 09:53 PM
My wife gets 1/2 sheet cake at Sam's Club for about $20. We've had Cars, Mickey and Elmo and they've written the names on the cake! And it's very yummy!

hipchickie
06-11-2011, 11:45 PM
We prefer to use a local organic bakery that lists where each ingredient comes from, and lets you customize your special cake any way you'd like it (like a wedding cake, but for any occasion). There is an initial consultation that you bring pictures, ideas, and have a taste session, then we go from there. These cakes cost anywhere from $75+ and the + can get quite pricy depending on how big you want to go.
What bakery do you go to?

I think based on what you described, you are getting a good deal.

I own a bakery, and I charge $100 for a 1/2 sheet cake (2 layers of cake, a layer of filling, serves 50-65) That only includes very basic decoration (writing and BC flowers) - any other deco is additional. I bake from scratch, use organic ingredients, use only butter in my icing, have my own flock of chickens for eggs, etc etc.

As another cake decorator friend of mine says "good cake isn't cheap, and cheap cake isn't good"