PDA

View Full Version : Pentax Users - New K-r - Display Issues?

ilovepete
06-04-2011, 10:24 PM
I just got my K-r and have been experimenting with pics in auto mode for now. I am having an issue though and I've gone through the entire operating manual and can't find anything on this.

In live mode, playback mode, and video mode (anything using the screen) the colors seem completely off for me. For instance, black will be a neonish blue at times (almost like when you do a negative image), and some other colors are way off on the display as well. This even happens when I'm switching picture modes, the example pictures for things like portrait, macro, etc. are way off. I found this odd, especially since the images on the computer come out fine from my memory card, they look normal and the colors are accurate and everything is fine.

After trying everything I could think of and reading the manual, I began searching K-r reviews. In some of these reviews, I noticed pictures of the displays on their K-rs and mine don't look anything like this in the menus. For instance, like in these pictures:
http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/pentax_kr_review/product_images/

If you go down to the one with the info screen, just to make it easy, my info screen looks completely different. It has all the icons, but there are no blue boxes around them at all. They are black. In fact most of the screen is black except the icons. I also have a white rim around the outside of the screen that almost fades as it goes from the edges. Also my four way controller, inside the little "arrows" on the screen, it is not blue, it is black.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this or did I get a bad screen? I have tried everything I can think of. Otherwise I am happy with this camera's performance but with how difficult it makes trying to see things in playback (trying to see if I caught a smile or my child's eye's open, etc., which I cannot tell with this issue), this may be a deal breaker for me.

Thank you in advance for any help, and I am sorry this is so long!

Oh and here are some pictures of what it is doing:

http://i497.photobucket.com/albums/rr340/RL27pics/IMG_0002.jpg

Info screen to show it is not the same as it shows on all the reviews ive read
http://i497.photobucket.com/albums/rr340/RL27pics/IMG_0006.jpg

Menu screen
http://i497.photobucket.com/albums/rr340/RL27pics/IMG_0008.jpg

A photo taken, this is the playback view, these colors are not right, this is exactly what it looks like on my screen
http://i497.photobucket.com/albums/rr340/RL27pics/IMG_0009.jpg

These are some of the pic modes, see you can tell even in these pics that the colors/display is off and you can see some of the hazing around the edges, too. They look exactly like this on my screen or worse.
http://i497.photobucket.com/albums/rr340/RL27pics/IMG_0012.jpg
http://i497.photobucket.com/albums/rr340/RL27pics/IMG_0014.jpg

ukcatfan
06-05-2011, 07:34 AM
Just got your pm, so I figure I will just reply here. That is not normal or anything you are doing wrong. I would try a hard reset before contacting service, but if that doesn't do anything I suggest requesting it to be changed out. You just got it, so you should be able to go through who you bought it from instead of Pentax service. The instructions to return it to factory condition (i.e. hard reset) should be in the manual. Doing that and still having a problem proves that it was not a setting you messed with. Also mention to the service rep that you tried it before calling.

ilovepete
06-05-2011, 08:41 AM
Well I tried the reset, that did not work. :(

ukcatfan
06-05-2011, 10:19 AM
You should definitely call the store about this. If they try to tell you that you should deal with Pentax service, then you should complain.

Don't get discouraged about it. There are always going to be some defective items with any consumer electronic. It also could have been dropped or damaged during shipment.

ilovepete
06-05-2011, 10:31 AM
They told me to return it, so I will. But now I am bummed because they no longer have the red one for me to exchange it for. :( I am not sure what I will do now as far as getting a replacement.
And of course I hope the return goes smoothly, it's an online retailer so those are always questionable since you have to wait for them to process it and everything.

Thanks again for your help.

ilovepete
06-06-2011, 09:00 AM
Do you have any idea if a firmware update could help this? I don't think so because I think it's actually the screen but I thought I'd ask. I have it all packed up to ship back so I didn't want to go to all the trouble to do it if there is no chance it would help, but thought it was worth asking about.

ukcatfan
06-06-2011, 10:42 AM
I doubt it would help. This sounds like physical damage during shipment to me. It was shipped at least three times and sometimes boxes fall without being reported. As for color, i personally like the white ones as well. You can also ask how long of a wait for the red one.

ilovepete
06-06-2011, 02:08 PM
I doubt it would help. This sounds like physical damage during shipment to me. It was shipped at least three times and sometimes boxes fall without being reported. As for color, i personally like the white ones as well. You can also ask how long of a wait for the red one.
They said they weren't expecting any new shipments of them. I noticed even the Pentax store is out of red ones. Bummer! Anyway thanks again for all your help! :thumbsup2

ukcatfan
06-06-2011, 05:59 PM
They said they weren't expecting any new shipments of them. I noticed even the Pentax store is out of red ones. Bummer! Anyway thanks again for all your help! :thumbsup2

It is probably due to the earthquake. Everything out of Japan is getting behind. Don't know where you bought it, but have you looked at B&H and Adorama?

ilovepete
06-06-2011, 06:14 PM
It is probably due to the earthquake. Everything out of Japan is getting behind. Don't know where you bought it, but have you looked at B&H and Adorama?

They do have them, but they have them for way more than I paid for this one. The cheapest I've found it is $50 more. I originally bought it at buydig and had a coupon code as well.

ukcatfan
06-06-2011, 08:17 PM
Yeah, that makes sense from them. They are good for prices, but the selection is not always that wide. I have bought off them before and they are honest. It probably doesn't have them, but double check their sister site, Beach Camera. They sometimes have different stock even though they are physically the exact same place.

ilovepete
06-06-2011, 08:27 PM
Yep checked them. I think I might just go with the white one, it's growing on me. :)

ukcatfan
06-06-2011, 10:04 PM
Yep checked them. I think I might just go with the white one, it's growing on me. :)

There have been a few times I wished that I had gone with the white one. Although I did have an interesting experience with my red one. My DW and I got to attend the Last Tour to Endor party last summer at the studios. More than once that night I got asked if my camera was a special edition "Rebel Alliance" or "Darth Maul" one. I bet I sold about ten or more cameras for Pentax that night. Although, a white "Storm Trooper" model might have excited them even more. :darth:

ilovepete
06-08-2011, 11:27 AM
There have been a few times I wished that I had gone with the white one. Although I did have an interesting experience with my red one. My DW and I got to attend the Last Tour to Endor party last summer at the studios. More than once that night I got asked if my camera was a special edition "Rebel Alliance" or "Darth Maul" one. I bet I sold about ten or more cameras for Pentax that night. Although, a white "Storm Trooper" model might have excited them even more. :darth:

That is too funny. LOL I can't seem to get buydig.com to send me a return shipping label. They keep saying they are sending it and I'm not getting it. So I still have this camera. Now they are closed until Monday. Really frustrating!

ukcatfan
06-08-2011, 12:04 PM
That is surprising to hear about them. I hope they have not changed. As long as you have it and the end product is fine, go ahead and use it some this weekend to start getting familiar with the handling.

ilovepete
06-10-2011, 08:15 PM
OK I got the manager to finally send me a return label and got it sent off today. Now just have to figure out a replacement.

disneyboy2003
06-10-2011, 09:28 PM
OK I got the manager to finally send me a return label and got it sent off today.

Wow! It's about time they sent you a return label. This whole thing seems to have dragged on for longer than necessary. :sad2:

ukcatfan
06-10-2011, 10:09 PM
Wow! It's about time they sent you a return label. This whole thing seems to have dragged on for longer than necessary. :sad2:

You know, this all disappoints me with them. I bought two cameras, a lens, and a few accessories from them and never had one problem. I even sent one thing back with no problem. Now that B&H and Adorama are pretty much matching them on prices, I am worried that their level of service might have dropped.

ilovepete
06-11-2011, 08:44 AM
Well to be fair, they were *trying* to send it but I was not getting it. I gave them 3 different email addresses. I was checking my spam. I was doing everything to try to get it. I finally had enough and told them they need to figure out some way to get this to me. I guess they fwded me to the manager and he sent the label while on the phone with me (as others had done, and it hadn't worked, but his came from his own email account, not the big one they were using). I got the label then and was able to print. So, it took a week. They were trying, but just not hard enough. It was disappointing, as I could already have my refund or replacement on the way by now. I just hope they don't run out of white ones by the time I get my refund or replacement. We'll see I guess. Just kinda bummed all the way around but I'm trying not to let it sway my view on Pentax. :) I thought the camera was nice just defective, unfortunately.

ilovepete
06-14-2011, 10:25 AM
Now they are out of the white one, too. Maybe this isn't meant to be!

Pea-n-Me
06-14-2011, 10:52 AM
If you've already made a decision about which camera to buy based on specs and ergonomics, I'd think that color should be the least of your concerns. I mean, granted colors are fun. But lack of a certain color wouldn't be a deal breaker for me.

ilovepete
06-14-2011, 11:06 AM
If you've already made a decision about which camera to buy based on specs and ergonomics, I'd think that color should be the least of your concerns. I mean, granted colors are fun. But lack of a certain color wouldn't be a deal breaker for me.

No no it's not the color that is the issue. It is the price (the colored ones are cheaper, or were at this retailer). The black one is the only one left and it's more. I just mean maybe it's not meant to be because all the hassle of this! I would still take a black one, if it were the same price.

Pea-n-Me
06-14-2011, 11:08 AM
These made me think otherwise.

kinda bummed all the way around but I'm trying not to let it sway my view on Pentax.

No no it's not the color that is the issue. It is the price (the colored ones are cheaper, or were at this retailer). The black one is the only one left and it's more. I just mean maybe it's not meant to be because all the hassle of this! I would still take a black one, if it were the same price.
Just ask them about it, then. I'd think they'd want to try to accomodate you after all that's happened.

ilovepete
06-14-2011, 11:27 AM
I chose the camera I wanted and THEN I chose the color I liked because there were multiple options available. If there was only black, I would have gone with that. I found that my first choice was available at a great price and ordered it. Then I had to send it back because of a defective screen. At that point they were out of the one I originally picked, the red, so I had to make another choice. My preference is red, white, black, but I was willing to get any of them IF they were the same price I paid for the original one I got (which was red), but I can't find any color at that price. The red was the cheapest, then the white, and then the black at the retailer I chose to order from. So, my second choice was white, and now they are out of that. It's not the color I am most upset about, it is that now the black one will cost me $50 MORE to get that one and that isn't even my preference. Everywhere else has it more expensive in any color. So yes, I am bummed as if my camera wasn't defective I'd have exactly what I wanted at the right price. The color is a PLUS for me but it wasn't the reason I chose the K-r.

Pea-n-Me
06-14-2011, 11:35 AM
I chose the camera I wanted and THEN I chose the color I liked because there were multiple options available. If there was only black, I would have gone with that. I found that my first choice was available at a great price and ordered it. Then I had to send it back because of a defective screen. At that point they were out of the one I originally picked, the red, so I had to make another choice. My preference is red, white, black, but I was willing to get any of them IF they were the same price I paid for the original one I got (which was red), but I can't find any color at that price. The red was the cheapest, then the white, and then the black at the retailer I chose to order from. So, my second choice was white, and now they are out of that. It's not the color I am most upset about, it is that now the black one will cost me $50 MORE to get that one and that isn't even my preference. Everywhere else has it more expensive in any color. So yes, I am bummed as if my camera wasn't defective I'd have exactly what I wanted at the right price. The color is a PLUS for me but it wasn't the reason I chose the K-r.
In fairness, $50 wouldn't sway me, either, if I chose this camera based on research, specs and ergonomics. But whatever, no need to get upset. Just trying to help.

ilovepete
06-14-2011, 11:45 AM
Oh I'm not upset, just explaining why I was bummed!:)

ilovepete
06-14-2011, 11:46 AM
Oh and I'm cheap LOL so $50 does sway me usually, but at this point, I don't have a choice since the ones I originally got are out of stock.

Pea-n-Me
06-14-2011, 12:00 PM
Oh and I'm cheap LOL so $50 does sway me usually, but at this point, I don't have a choice since the ones I originally got are out of stock.
Firty bucks is going to be a drop in the bucket once you start getting into it! (As we've all found out!)

I just think it's always best to stick with the one your gut led you to in the first place. Otherwise, you probably won't be happy.

ilovepete
06-14-2011, 12:08 PM
Firty bucks is going to be a drop in the bucket once you start getting into it! (As we've all found out!)

I just think it's always best to stick with the one your gut led you to in the first place. Otherwise, you probably won't be happy.

Definitely good advice, and you are right. That is what my husband says. :)

ukcatfan
06-14-2011, 01:11 PM
I think you should call and directly ask them to honor the original price given all the trouble you have had and ultimately they sold you defective equipment.

mom2rtk
06-14-2011, 01:12 PM
I think you should call and directly ask them to honor the original price given all the trouble you have had and ultimately they sold you defective equipment.

I absolutely agree. :thumbsup2

ilovepete
06-14-2011, 01:48 PM
I tried but they no longer have the item I ordered in stock, they have it in a different color, which they don't consider the same thing (when I ordered they had red, black, and white... now they only have black). They told me I'd have to reorder. I put a note in my package asking again. I just got a conformation that they received my package, so we'll see. :) I'm not thinking it is likely, though.

I know it's not a huge deal, I guess I'm just disappointed in the whole thing because I wanted to be taking pictures right now and learning how to use it (for specific events we have going on)! That's all really. Just bummed. There are much worse things going on in the world so I shouldn't complain! :)

mom2rtk
06-14-2011, 02:34 PM
I tried but they no longer have the item I ordered in stock, they have it in a different color, which they don't consider the same thing (when I ordered they had red, black, and white... now they only have black). They told me I'd have to reorder. I put a note in my package asking again. I just got a conformation that they received my package, so we'll see. :) I'm not thinking it is likely, though.

I know it's not a huge deal, I guess I'm just disappointed in the whole thing because I wanted to be taking pictures right now and learning how to use it (for specific events we have going on)! That's all really. Just bummed. There are much worse things going on in the world so I shouldn't complain! :)

Not to push the matter, but I wouldn't be settling for a note on email then waiting to see what they will do.

I'd be on the phone telling them how disappointed you are in how everything has gone. I'd probably stretch the truth a bit and tell them you ordered it for an upcoming trip (maybe you did? I don't recall........) and that you need this settled quickly. I'd spell out for them that you'd like whatever color they have in stock but at the price you paid for the original.

You can ask, they can say no. But I'd at least try.

ukcatfan
06-14-2011, 04:16 PM
Whatever the case, I think you should add your experience to Reseller Ratings. If they are not as honest and caring for the customers as they used to be then people need to hear about it.

ilovepete
06-15-2011, 04:01 PM
Just to update you guys... I got my refund today. I called to make sure they weren't attempting to send me a replacement (since I said that is what I would prefer) and they aren't. He said I would have to buy it somewhere else.

So... I guess I will be buying it elsewhere!

Gianna'sPapa
06-15-2011, 06:17 PM
After all you have been through, for your sake I hope you are looking at some of the more reputable online sites to purchase your camera! I purchase all my stuff from B & H, Adorama, Amazon or Newegg. I have had nothing, but good luck with those sites. Good luck!!

ilovepete
06-15-2011, 06:48 PM
After all you have been through, for your sake I hope you are looking at some of the more reputable online sites to purchase your camera! I purchase all my stuff from B & H, Adorama, Amazon or Newegg. I have had nothing, but good luck with those sites. Good luck!!

YES! I was just telling my husband this earlier today. Forget finding the best price at this point! :rotfl:

ilovepete
06-16-2011, 09:14 AM
OK just ordered one from Amazon. Let's hope this works out better! :thumbsup2