PDA

View Full Version : D7000 throwing oil on the imager.

rossb
06-02-2011, 06:32 PM
My D7000 (3,600 releases) just started to throw oil onto it's imager. I wet cleaned a bunch of oil off it last night, it was fine for about 45 shots, and now it has oil on the sensor again. A quick google search shows that this is a common problem with the D7000. I really should have kept my D90. :mad:

ChiSoxKeith
06-02-2011, 07:36 PM
Ouch!!!! Sorry to hear the bad news

photo_chick
06-02-2011, 09:14 PM
Are you covered under warranty?

VVFF
06-02-2011, 09:46 PM
From what I have read Nikon is calling this "dust and debris" on the sensor and they don't cover that under warranty.

Shame too as I was looking at getting one of these. I don't mind wet cleaning but I do mind if it keeps happening. I would hate to be in the middle of a shoot and have this happen.

rossb
06-02-2011, 10:11 PM
Yes it it still under warranty. I will have to pay shipping and as VVFF said I run the risk of them denying coverage because they may call this a cleaning service. I've also read that some people have sent in a D7000 with oil spots on the sensor, Nikon just cleaned the sensor, and the spots returned.

I cleaned my sensor last night and it was clean. Today it is dirty again, there must be excess grease on the shutter or mirror. Canon had a similar issue with the EOS 1-D and they are handling it better.

http://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/news/EOS_oil_spots.do

Daisy14'sDH
06-02-2011, 10:39 PM
Pentax had a similiar issue as well with the Kr when it was introduced. It happens, they should cover it under warranty, I would moan and complain until it got dealt with appropriately.

Gianna'sPapa
06-02-2011, 11:19 PM
Pentax' K5 using the same sensor as the 7000 had a similar/same issue when introduced. They made an announcement and took care of everything under warranty. Good luck and scream till its fixed!

mom2rtk
06-03-2011, 06:59 AM
Wow, that would be hugely disappointing. Maybe you can eek by until they get enough of these back to fully acknowledge the problelm???? Sounds like that needs to happen very soon...........

rossb
06-03-2011, 10:48 AM
I just sent it to Melville, NY.

TC09
06-03-2011, 02:56 PM
Yikes! Thanks for the heads up. I'll have to check mine when I get home now. Haven't noticed anything in my photos yet.

Good luck. Keep us updated.

rossb
06-16-2011, 09:43 AM
I got it back today. The service ticket said "Clean Sensor, General Check and Clean, Adjust AF operation". I took it out of the box, set my 35mm prime to F22, pointed it at the sky, and the resulting picture had dust and an oil spot.

I wet cleaned the sensor, repeated the test, and the shot looked clean. I took about 50 pictures around the house and then took an F22 flash shot at a white wall. A new oil spot appeared. Sigh...

My guess is they totally ignored my letter that asked them to clean the excess oil from the mirror box. I even called them 3 times while the camera was in the shop and instructed them to clean the excess oil out of the mirror box. It obviously fell on deaf ears. I will have to keep wet cleaning my sensor.

I wish I kept my D90.

mom2rtk
06-16-2011, 09:54 AM
WOW. I'd feel exactly the same way.

I think it's time to see if you can escalate your complaint in some way. You started with the standard course to resolve the problem. I'd be looking to speak to someone at a higher level.

Have you found any feedback from others online trying to resolve the same thing?

ChiSoxKeith
06-16-2011, 10:00 AM
I got it back today. The service ticket said "Clean Sensor, General Check and Clean, Adjust AF operation". I took it out of the box, set my 35mm prime to F22, pointed it at the sky, and the resulting picture had dust and an oil spot.

I wet cleaned the sensor, repeated the test, and the shot looked clean. I took about 50 pictures around the house and then took an F22 flash shot at a white wall. A new oil spot appeared. Sigh...

My guess is they totally ignored my letter that asked them to clean the excess oil from the mirror box. I even called them 3 times while the camera was in the shop and instructed them to clean the excess oil out of the mirror box. It obviously fell on deaf ears. I will have to keep wet cleaning my sensor.

I wish I kept my D90.

Wow! Dealing with repair centers is a pain in the rear. Hope they get this resolved for you soon!

Pea-n-Me
06-16-2011, 10:26 AM
That stinks. My heart goes out to you.

rossb
06-16-2011, 10:47 AM
An interesting note, I sent the camera in with 3,600 releases on it. It came back with 4,600 releases on it.

TC09
06-17-2011, 12:59 PM
Really sorry to hear. If you don't mind me asking, what wet cleaning kit do you use/recommend?

rossb
06-17-2011, 02:28 PM
It is on its way to NY...again.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/242758-REG/Photographic_Solutions_SS2BOX_Sensor_Swab_Type_2.h tml

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/127525-REG/Photographic_Solutions_EC_Eclipse_Optic_Lens_Clean ing.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/259157-REG/Giottos_AA1900_Rocket_Air_Blower.html

mom2rtk
06-17-2011, 02:35 PM
I hope it's getting frequent flier miles. Wonder how many shutter releases this trip will take.......

Regardless, hope this takes care of it!

rossb
06-30-2011, 10:34 AM
I used Nikon's return label to send it back 2 weeks ago and I got the following email today:

Our offices have verified that we only had received an envelope without any camera included it is imperative that you get in contact with ups to start an investigation as to confirm that the camera was shipped correctly. We do apologize for any inconvenience.

Thanks for using Nikon products!
Nikon Inc. (USA) Support / Service
http://support.nikontech.com

Looks like someone stole it. I really wish I kept my D90.

mom2rtk
06-30-2011, 10:37 AM
INCONVENIENCE? :scared1:

OMG! My jaw is literally on the gound! I was considering sending mine to Canon with a lens for calibration, but that front focusing issue is looking less and less important right now.

Please keep us posted. I have all my fingers crossed that they get this taken care of right away!

Twigs
06-30-2011, 10:45 AM
OMG!! That's terrible. I hope you can recover your camera with UPS!

I was just going to post that you should call and try to get in touch with someone in the repair department. I live 20 min. from their Melville office and when I have brought a camera in for repair or cleaning there is usually someone at the window getting into a lengthy discussion so they know exactly what the problem is, and the repair people are very nice there and do take the time with you at the window.

rossb
06-30-2011, 01:50 PM
I used to live in Massapequa.

UPS says that Nikon is supposed to file the claim because they are the shipper, receiver, and insured. Nikon customer service (not Melville) disagrees, they think I should be filing this claim as I am the one that dropped the package off.

I opened a claim with UPS, even though they said Nikon should be running this. UPS is sending a rep out to Mellville to inspect what was delivered. UPS said that Nikon is the payee on this claim because they are the insured. UPS said it is up to Nikon to settle with me.

I'll be lucky to see a dime.

rossb
07-06-2011, 01:24 PM
UPS "investigated" and then denied the claim. They said this is a result of "improper packaging", which is total BS. I'm not sure how a secure box turns into an "empty envelope". Someone lost or stole the equipment and nobody is taking responsibility. I am not sure who to blame.

mom2rtk
07-06-2011, 01:29 PM
Wow. Just wow. Any word from Nikon following the UPS reply?

ChiSoxKeith
07-06-2011, 01:35 PM
I used Nikon's return label to send it back 2 weeks ago and I got the following email today:

Looks like someone stole it. I really wish I kept my D90.

Wow. Just wow.

I'm so sorry to hear this about your camera.

rossb
07-06-2011, 04:07 PM
I am calling Nikon every few days to follow up. There is a slight chance they will replace it and pursue this with their shipping department or UPS.

ChiSoxKeith
07-06-2011, 04:56 PM
Every few days?

You are far more patient then I am.

The people at Nikon (or in my world, canon) would not be able to get me off the phone until I had a satisfactory resolution.

traylorc
07-07-2011, 05:21 PM
Wow....man I am so sorry that you have to go through all of this.

Makes me hope I never have to send my camera into Nikon.

rossb
07-07-2011, 10:57 PM
Instead of calling the 1-800-Nikon-US call center (Dominican Republic) I spoke with someone in NY and another person in CA. Nikon finally sent me pictures of the empty envelope and they claim that the label does not show signs of being removed from a package. I took one look at it and I clearly see signs of tampering. Here is the envelope, I edited out my name and the tracking number for security reasons. Tell me if you think this label looks like it was transferred off my box.

http://www.rbartick.com/audio_sale/label_2.jpg

Marlton Mom
07-07-2011, 11:26 PM
You have a better idea of what the label looked like when you sent it. Now you are comparing it to what is in the picture.

I can only see a bunch of wrinkled tape and a hair under the tape in the upper left hand corner so it does look like more than a mess if you ask me.

Was this the BOX you used or an ENVELOPE that is in the picture?? Did the perpetrator switch the label from a box to an envelope? Who sends a camera in an ENVELOPE?? That should be the first clue that you are a victim of a crime!

I'm really sorry that you are having to go through all this crap.

If I were you I would start to write letters documenting your claim, including all the correspondence from all parties involved. I would start a paper trail and I would very nicely word any correspondence concerning this matter and copy as many people as high up as you can go, both at Nikon and at UPS.

I think this is your only hope.

Keep us posted and good luck.

Marlton Mom

rossb
07-08-2011, 06:37 AM
That is a picture of the envelope they got, not my box. I see cardboard remnants in the upper right and on the left side under Melville. I also see crinkled tape all over it. Nikon says it looks tamper free.

Frantasmic
07-08-2011, 07:06 AM
It was obviously harmed/damaged/stolen in UPS' hands since, as is clear to everyone, there is no way someone would (or even could) place a camera in an envelope.

I'd take that picture and a picture of your camera and head to the nearest UPS regional manager and have him explain how a camera was in that envelope.

The only problem is that Nikon could have seen that they were going to owe you a new camera and conveniently had an accident and then made their cover story. Very sad that this happened to you.

mom2rtk
07-08-2011, 07:44 AM
Well, of course it's been tampered with. Where else would that piece of brown (like from a BOX) come from under "Melville"????

And seriously......... who would mail a camera in an evelope? I mean, even if someone were trying to put something over on Nikon, why would they try to claim they put a camera in an envelope?

This is so disgusting.

Have you done any nosing around online to see if others are having a similar problem?

I really was going to send my camera and lens in to Canon this summer for calibration. But this has stopped my in my tracks.

Keep on them. Man, I don't even know what else to say.

ChiSoxKeith
07-08-2011, 08:09 AM
I would be incredibly calm, but also firm.

I would not hang up the phone with Nikon until they resolved this. I would have UPS on the other line and be the same way with them.

I'm not sure how sending your Nikon in for repair works, but presumably they EMAILED you the shipping label, right? Do you still have a copy of it? Because that would tell you if the tracking number matches what is on that envelope. Obviously a D7000 isn't going to fit in a UPS next day air ENVELOPE!

Make no mistake about it. At this point someone has stolen >$1000 from you (or whatever the cost of a D7000 is).

mom2rtk
07-08-2011, 08:29 AM
So I wonder if the other camera companies also include the name of the company. It seems crazy to use "Nikon" in the address. They might as well have you put "There's something valuable in this box" on there too.

Where did you mail it from? I would think if you used one of those small storefronts, that's where I would be most suspicious. I mean, any package is is in a lot of hands along the way. But I would look to the spot where someone had access to it with the least amount of onlookers, and would attract the least attention. If it happened at UPS, it seems they would know something was up with a string of claims. Same thing if it happened at Nikon.

rossb
07-08-2011, 09:08 AM
I'm not sure how sending your Nikon in for repair works, but presumably they EMAILED you the shipping label, right? Do you still have a copy of it? Because that would tell you if the tracking number matches what is on that envelope.

Yes, they emailed me the shipping label. That is the label that was on my box. UPS does not want to deal with me because this is not my claim. This is Nikon's claim.

Pea-n-Me
07-08-2011, 09:32 AM
Consider calling your Attorney General's Consumer Affairs office.

ChiSoxKeith
07-08-2011, 09:51 AM
Yes, they emailed me the shipping label. That is the label that was on my box. UPS does not want to deal with me because this is not my claim. This is Nikon's claim.

Then don't get off the phone with Nikon. Just be calm and persistent.

Oh, and see if you can find an email for someone at Nikon USA (I had a recent problem with my natural gas company, found the CEOs email address and the problem was solved in 5 minutes). Nikon also is on twitter & facebook. Try hounding them there as well.

Shutterbug
07-08-2011, 10:05 AM
I remember when I send my 40D in for warranty calibration. Canon made me pay for the shipping to them. I was hesitant about sending the camera and lens through UPS but it worked out all okay.

If Nikon sent you a prepaid label to use for UPS, then UPS becomes an agent for Nikon. This is for Nikon to hound UPS about. You need to keep on top of Nikon.
I agree with others. Be calm but firm with them and that you will not stop until this is taken care of satisfactorily.

rossb
07-08-2011, 10:06 AM
I just noticed something. The routing label on the left is UNDER the shipping label. How would that be possible unless the shipping label was moved?

Shutterbug
07-08-2011, 10:09 AM
I just noticed something. The routing label on the left is UNDER the shipping label. How would that be possible unless the shipping label was moved?

This happened at work once. We got an item that was damaged in transit. UPS then took the item's shipping label off the item, placed that item into a larger box and taped that label over onto the new box.

rossb
07-08-2011, 10:19 AM
Right, that would indicate that the label was tampered with. Nikon and UPS told me the shipping label appears to be original and tamper free.

rossb
07-08-2011, 12:39 PM
I pointed out all of the tampering evidence to a New York Nikon rep and it was agreed that the label was moved. I just got an email stating that they are sending me a brand new camera.

mom2rtk
07-08-2011, 12:41 PM
:dance3::dance3::dance3:

I can't believe it took even that long.

I sure hope this one doesn't have the same problem!

Marlton Mom
07-08-2011, 12:50 PM
That is a picture of the envelope they got, not my box. I see cardboard remnants in the upper right and on the left side under Melville. I also see crinkled tape all over it. Nikon says it looks tamper free.

The experts say that the best way to get a problem like this the attention and resolution it deserves is to send written correspondence documenting the problem BY SNAIL MAIL (not Email) to the top people in the company.

Start writing letters. Include a summary of the problem, all evidence and documentation of who (by name) you talked to, when and what was said. It's really important to document each conversation with the above info.

Send copies of your correspondence to the top people in each company. Include a distribution list at the bottom of your letter that shows you are also communicating with the Consumer Fraud agencies in your state.

Each time you have a new conversation include that information in another letter and shoot that off to all parties.

It's clear that you are dealing with low level yahoos whose purpose is to act as a screen to deterring people from holding them accountable.

If you are persistent, and don't come off as angry or annoyed in your correspondence, (Experts say that this is KEY!) you have a chance.

Even though you are perfectly reasonable if you are completely outraged, the truth is that companies shut down when encountering these types of people. Customers are much more successful getting complaints resolved if they approach it from "I'm having a problem and I need your help" perspective.

You have a good case. Present it to the right people, in the right way and you stand a good chance of getting it resolved.

Good luck and I'm so sorry to hear of your aggravation. No one deserves this. It really sucks that you have to jump through all these hoops to rectify something that you are not responsible for. I guess that's just life catching up with us from time to time.

:hug:

~ Marlton Mom

Marlton Mom
07-08-2011, 12:55 PM
Ha! I just read about your resolution after typing my post.

I am so happy for you! :yay:

Congrats and let us know how you are making out with the new Nikon. Hopefully it will be a new one and not a refurbished model.

~ Marlton Mom

rossb
07-08-2011, 01:28 PM
I just got an 'Invoice' and it is a brand new unit in the box with all accessories for $0.00. It will probably ship today. This is a good ending to a 3 week period of stress. Now I have to book a trip to WDW, a "new" camera always = a new trip!

mom2rtk
07-08-2011, 01:36 PM
So Im curious. If you had trouble with a camera again, is there a different way you could handle it to better deal with this sort of outcome? Or do you just have to cross your fingers and hope the camera company would eventually come through again?

ChiSoxKeith
07-08-2011, 02:18 PM
I just got an 'Invoice' and it is a brand new unit in the box with all accessories for $0.00. It will probably ship today. This is a good ending to a 3 week period of stress. Now I have to book a trip to WDW, a "new" camera always = a new trip!

Great news!!!!

Glad your story is having a happy ending. I hope this one doesn't throw oil on the sensor.

TC09
07-08-2011, 05:23 PM
That's great to hear! :woohoo:

rossb
07-08-2011, 05:58 PM
So Im curious. If you had trouble with a camera again, is there a different way you could handle it to better deal with this sort of outcome? Or do you just have to cross your fingers and hope the camera company would eventually come through again?

I would take pictures of the box and contents at the drop off location.

YesDear
07-09-2011, 05:18 AM
I am excited you got your issue resolved. If there is any solace in what happened you at least know that whoever stole the camera now has one that is still throwing oil on the sensor!!!!!!!!!!!

Pea-n-Me
07-09-2011, 07:46 AM
If there is any solace in what happened you at least know that whoever stole the camera now has one that is still throwing oil on the sensor!!!!!!!!!!!
Yup. Karma, Baby. :) ("Why are there spots in all your pictures?" :rotfl2: )

mom2rtk
07-09-2011, 08:14 AM
Yup. Karma, Baby. :) ("Why are there spots in all your pictures?" :rotfl2: )

Better yet...... maybe they will send the camera into Nikon for repair!

Seriously stupid criminal. A camera on its way IN to Nikon is likely going there for repair, and then how do you get it repaired yourself once it's been stolen?

I guess I feels sorry for whoever buys this from that person on ebay! Maybe THEY will send it into Nikon and get accused of stealing it.

traylorc
07-10-2011, 02:03 PM
I'm really glad the OP is receiving a new camera.

However, I continue to read threads from other d7000 owners regarding oil on the sensor. I have not read any official response from Nikon acknowledging this problem. Myself and a buddy purchased D7000s in March 2011 from the same vendor a couple of days apart. Well, a few weeks ago he started having the well documented oil on the sensor issue. To be honest, I have not seen that issue with my camera. Nikon's refusal to officially acknowledge the problem (that I know of) lead me to believe that maybe now is the time to jump to a full frame body.

rossb
07-11-2011, 09:19 AM
My new camera should be arriving today. Thanks for all of the support. :)

I agree that Nikon is not really saying much about the oil issue. This time around I am just going to keep cleaning it.

traylorc
07-11-2011, 01:56 PM
My new camera should be arriving today. Thanks for all of the support. :)

I agree that Nikon is not really saying much about the oil issue. This time around I am just going to keep cleaning it.

Good luck...let us know how this camera performs. :thumbsup2

klmall
07-11-2011, 05:00 PM
Yes, please let us know when it arrives and how it functions. I've never sent a camera back (Canon) but lived in dread of doing so but not because of shipping issues until your story! Thanks for sharing with us!

rossb
07-13-2011, 06:40 PM
I got it today, they sent me a brand new body-only retail box with all of the accessories. Mine was also originally a body-only box. I haven't tried it yet but I am impressed with how this was resolved.

TC09
07-13-2011, 09:16 PM
Awesome! And you still have the battery from the original D7k, right? I assume that you just sent the body only?

rossb
07-13-2011, 10:02 PM
Yes, I still have my original battery, charger, strap, cables, etc.

klmall
07-14-2011, 11:09 AM
I got it today, they sent me a brand new body-only retail box with all of the accessories. Mine was also originally a body-only box. I haven't tried it yet but I am impressed with how this was resolved.

Yeah!!!:thumbsup2

Now get out there and take some shots! (Please!)

rossb
07-16-2011, 10:36 PM
I took about 300 shots today, the new camera has a very clean sensor.

traylorc
07-16-2011, 11:50 PM

Good to hear it...I hope this camera works out for you.

Marlton Mom
07-17-2011, 12:06 AM

:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2 :thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2 :thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2 :thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2 :thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

Marlton Mom, who wanted to put 300 smiles but the boards wouldn't let her