PDA

View Full Version : Jonah: A VeggieTales Movie

Tannerman
10-04-2002, 09:53 AM
At the bottom of Jim Hill's Why For? (http://www.jimhillmedia.com/newarticles/y4/y4100402.htm) he talked about "Jonah: A VeggieTales Movie". Anyone plan on seeing this film? What's the buzz you know about it?

DisneyKidds
10-04-2002, 10:12 AM
Haven't heard any buzz, but we will be going to see it. Movies that are perfect for the toddler set are few and far between, and this should be a good one. Our DD really likes the VeggieTales, and the songs are.................well, lets just say they don't grate on your nerves when you can't get them out of your head as much as some others (can anyone say Wiggles?).................

Mouse Ears
10-04-2002, 12:22 PM
Hot potato... hot potato...

Yes, the Wiggles have held my brain captive a time or two so now I stay far away when they sing.

My girls are really excited about the new Veggie Tales movie and we will definitely be taking them to see it. Unfortunately, it is not getting wide distribution. Box Office Mojo reports that Jonah will only be on 940 screens nationwide (vs. 3357 for Red Dragon). In our area I only found it on the listings for the 30-screen AMC theatre and not the closer ones. Still, as was pointed out, it is rare to find a movie truly appropriate for the toddler set, so we will go out of our way to support it.

:earsboy: M E

DisneyKidds
10-04-2002, 01:11 PM
Unfortunately, it is not getting wide distribution. Box Office Mojo reports that Jonah will only be on 940 screens nationwide

While this film opens today, you are right - it is somewhat limited distribution. It is not showing in any theatres in the Northeast (PA to ME) right now. It will open in more theatres on the 20th, but for those locations the theatres are TBA. Looks like we'll have to wait a few weeks and hope it comes to a theatre near us.

BTW - Thanks for putting that @#$%^ song in my head ;).

DisLUV
10-07-2002, 01:31 PM
Jonah is a movie that is not only for the toddlers but there parents will also find little bits of hidden humor that they will find amusing also. I am embarrased to say that I have all the videos and have had them for a while. VT was really big with the college kids when they first came out. SO if you have younger kids of your own or if you have to borrow someone elses GO SEE JONAH!!! I am !

daber
10-07-2002, 05:45 PM
It came in 6th place this weekend with limited showing and 6.5 million. Not bad from a non-Hollywood production company and limited advertising. Now, WHERE IS MY HAIRBRUSH? (inside Veggie Tale humor)

Luv2Roam
10-07-2002, 06:16 PM
We won't be seeing it --but we don't have kids. The previews just left us :confused: .

DisneyKidds
10-08-2002, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by Luv2Roam
We won't be seeing it --but we don't have kids. The previews just left us :confused: .

I have to agree with you. Actually, even some people with kids are left :confused: by VeggieTales. Last time my brother, who has kids, was up my daughter had a VeggieTales movie on. He was completely and totally :confused: and thought it was :crazy:.

I also agree about the underlying adult humor - very funny if you are not :confused: by the whole thing ;).

Lesley
10-08-2002, 10:09 AM
Up to this point I've had no interest in Veggie Tales whatsoever....aren't they supposedly religious in nature? All our Christian friends seem to be really into them. I'll admit these posts have me curious. Maybe we'll try to check one of the videos out of the library today.

And oddly we've all been known to sit around the table at dinner time singing "hot potato" or "fruit salad" (my personal favorite....) I don't care for the Wiggles show too much, but the music is maddeningly catchy...

Eeyore1954
10-08-2002, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by daber
It came in 6th place this weekend with limited showing and 6.5 million. Not bad from a non-Hollywood production company and limited advertising. Now, WHERE IS MY HAIRBRUSH? (inside Veggie Tale humor) The movie cost $15 mill to produce. According to several people at Big Idea, this is a real "make or break" effort for them. This is their first venture to the big screen and if they don't recoup the investment, it may be their last one.

I read yesterday that their distributor said they were very pleased with the first weekend results. There is a wider distribution scheduled for 10/18 -- it should include more areas, such as NY and the NE area as well as wide distribution in the midwest, south and western U.S.

DisneyKidds
10-08-2002, 12:34 PM
I'd have to say, that with $6.5 mil last weekend in limited distribution, this film will end up being a success for Big Idea considering that it hasn't opened in quite a few big states that will generate similar numbers when it does. It will be interesting to see how Jonah fares in it's second weekend in the same theatres.

Lesley - while VeggieTales are christian in nature, it is very subtle. They interject messages such as sharing and caring, compassion, and other christian values without using religion in any real direct way. They don't beat you over the head with the religious aspect. One could just as easily view these films as wacky vegetables singing catchy songs as they would christian teaching.

For better or for worse, you'll probably find yourself singing the VeggieTales songs at the table as well..............

Bob O
10-08-2002, 01:03 PM
My daughters who go to a religious school have had veggie tales in their school and like them alot!!! They also saw the movie and thought it was great and cant wait to see it again!!

SPAGo 98
10-08-2002, 01:56 PM
i'm a college student and i'm really really hoping that jonah comes to the northeast. i love veggietales. they're so awesome. :)

Cherry
10-09-2002, 04:28 PM
My son (now 30) loved Veggie Tales when he was in college!
They actually had Veggie Tales nights at the college. Now my granddaughters love them. We've got all the videos. They did go to see Jonah and thought it was great.

The videos crack me up, especially the earlier ones -- a lot of subtle humor that the kids don't get at all. The songs are just plain silly -- and a lot of fun. Our favorites are "Where is my hairbrush," and "I love my lips." I know it sounds crazy if you haven't seen it, but it sure beats Barney!

snowwhitemom
10-09-2002, 07:07 PM
Veggie Tales rock!!!!I love that BOB!!!!

Lesley
10-09-2002, 09:04 PM
I guess I'll just have to see for myself...though this week we borrowed Cinderella II and Tom and Huck from the library. They do have the Veggie Tales.

It really was quite hilarious last summer when a friends' daughter insisted on being called Larry and would wear only green for months on end....but that's the extent of what I know about them. (and I do know that Larry is a cucumber....)

I'm also 30 but never heard of these until a couple of years ago....at my college there were Twin Peaks nights, but not Veggie Tales!

Judy from Boise
10-09-2002, 09:15 PM
When my DH and I get romantic we sing "the Cheeseburger " song to each other :rolleyes:

We love VT, we did enjoy the movie, but walked away thinking there was really no need for it to have been on the big screen. It was of no higher quality than the VHS format shows.

iLovDisney
10-10-2002, 07:17 AM
The Veggie Tales Christmas party music tape is WONDERFUL!

Tannerman
10-10-2002, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by Judy from Boise
It was of no higher quality than the VHS format shows.

I highly disagree. The animation was more detailed for one thing.

adrien32
10-10-2002, 07:12 PM
I just saw this movie and thought it was great, but the next day a friend told me that there's a "silly song" at the end of the credits. We left during the credits so we missed it.

adrien32
10-10-2002, 07:18 PM
I just saw this movie and thought it was great, but the next day a friend told me that there's a "silly song" at the end of the credits. We left during the credits so we missed it.

Boo
10-16-2002, 09:04 PM
DH and I don't mind at all when DD wants to watch Veggie Tales b/c they really are entertaining! We love the Monty Python Holy Grail take on "Josh and the Big Wall"- the "peas" being the rude "French". Hello Children, now go away!

Loved Jonah and the Gospel angels part. I like the fact the these are VERY Christian based (I don't think they are subtle- they do quote the bible verses) yet still very funny and appealing. See, not all of us Christians are boring okaley dokaley Flanders (simpsons).

By the way, I live in Lombard, IL which is where VT are drawn. They tried to buy this old theater building as their HQ that they were going to rehab and then open to the public for tours but that fell through. So now, they are working out of a temporary space in Yorktown Shopping Mall.

YoHo
10-16-2002, 09:27 PM
What's the name of there new Staurday Morning show?

I've seen the comercial says Saturday morning adventure with Sunday morning message or something like that. Anyway it not vegtables, but kids and the commercial is great, Cause Larry is looking at the new Characters and crys out
Bob, they have ARMS!!!