PDA

View Full Version : I could really use some lens advice (DSLR newbie)

Miss Ang
05-27-2011, 07:53 PM
I just purchased my first DSLR (Canon T1i) and it came with the 18-55mm lens. Our disney trip is coming up in 10 days and I am very doubtful that I can become comfortable enough to be shooting outside of auto mode on vacation. I may try some things while we're there but I can't lie, the camera is probably going to be in auto most of the time.:blush: But I want to learn and plan to, I just don't think I'll perfect my photography skills in 10 days time.

So my question is, do I need (*ahem, you know "need") another lens to go with me? I want to take pics of things around Disney, parades, pics around our resort, pics of the family, rides and attractions, etc. Will I be sorely disappointed with the range this lens offers? And if I do need another, what do I want? I don't want to carry around anything heavy and I don't want to spend a fortune either.

As far as outside of vacation, I'll want to take everyday snapshots, portraits, pics of the kids playing sports, and our pets. What is going to fill my needs during vacation and maybe after? I'm *so* confused and my head is swimming from all the info I've read over the last week. I just do not know what I need and hope someone will just hold my hand a little bit and give me some guidance. :hug: I appreciate it!

ChiSoxKeith
05-27-2011, 08:30 PM
Need? No.

What kind of sports?

You could get the 55-250 relatively but a smart person around here said the most expensive lens is the one you buy twice, so until you know what you really need I would hold off.

Read you manual several times so you know what does what.

Dont worry about taking it off auto. You have to start somewhere and you will have the camera a long time. Bring lots of memory cards

Miss Ang
05-27-2011, 08:50 PM
Need? No.

What kind of sports?

You could get the 55-250 relatively but a smart person around here said the most expensive lens is the one you buy twice, so until you know what you really need I would hold off.

Dont worry about taking it off auto. You have to start somewhere and you will have the camera a long time. Bring lots of memory cards

Yes I do know that the word need is an interesting word.:rolleyes1 :rotfl:

Part of me says that you're right, I should wait. And then there is the other part of me that says I might be sorry if I can't get in good and close on things further away.:rolleyes1

And thanks for the advice on the memory cards. I have 2 8gb class 10 cards and will bring my laptop to dump the pics off every day so I think I'll be ok in that dept.

DISfan0829
05-27-2011, 09:19 PM
We use a Sigma 28-200 lens on our Canon T1i. Canon also makes a 28-200 now. It is not as sharp as the 18-55 but has a wider zoom range.

A few years ago I rented the Canon 24-70L for our vacation and that lens was incredible. The Canon L lenses are very expensive. I think the 24-70L sells for almost $1500. Canon also makes a 28-300L lens but that is almost $3,000.

The 18-55 is not a bad lens as sharpness goes. Superzooms like the 28-200 sacrifice sharpness for wide zoom ranges.

mom2rtk
05-27-2011, 10:12 PM
Need? No.

What kind of sports?

LOL! That's MY line. Would you email my kids the part about it coming from a smart person please?

All I mean by that is you need to be certain of what you really want before you pull the trigger (even if, in this case, it means you don't do it in time for your Disney trip). I'm the sort of person that has a little nagging voice in my head that pops up and pesters me when I don't do my research and get exactly what I need.

You COULD go get the 55-250 lens and be very happy. And I think it's a pretty reasonably priced lens. But is it going to drive you nuts to be changing lenses all the time? The all-in-one lenses cost more, but maybe it's worth it if it keeps you happy in the long run. (BTW....... the Tamron 18-270 has a pretty good reputation for all-in-ones).

Here's an example. I wanted a low light lens for Disney. Everyone raved about the canon 50mm f/1.8 (a great deal at around $100 at the time) I knew the other option was the Sigma 30mm f/1.4, but that one was $400. I didn't want to spend the higher amount so I ordered the Canon. Soon after I got the 50mm, I decided I didn't like that focal length and ended up also getting the 30mm lens. So in reality, that lens cost me $500. I have only used that 50mm lens one time in 2 years. (Will that get me banned here???? :rotfl:)

So, while there MIGHT be a few places you wish for more reach, don't race out to buy your lens until you're sure of what you want and consider all the angles. Remember you can crop some of your photos down. The only place you will probably miss the reach is at shows (castle show, shows at DHS) and at AK. Most of the rest of what you'll shoot will be just fine with your 18-55.

One thing that might be worth learning before you go is how to get from Auto to Program mode, where you can decide when to use (and not use) the flash, and you can set the ISO.

Have fun and let us know what you do!

kshark
05-29-2011, 01:39 PM
I prefer to use specific lenses for specific situations so I have ended up with quite a few lenses. You will want something with more reach than the 18-55. If you want to buy something now, the 55-250 it pretty good for the price but I quickly sold mine and upgraded to a 70-200 (which cost more than my camera, of course).

For your upcoming trip, I might suggest renting an 18-200. That will give you good coverage for most situations without having to change or carry lenses. I have a friend with the 18-200 and other than being slow at 200mm (f/5.6) the image quality is pretty solid. You can rent it for $34/week from thelenspal.com which is about 1/2 hour from WDW. I used them to rent a 10-22 during our last trip and they have great customer service!

When you get back you can decide if the all in one lens is better for your goals or if you want to go with a wide angle and telephoto (and ultrawide, primes, etc.). :)

Miss Ang
05-29-2011, 02:05 PM
I prefer to use specific lenses for specific situations so I have ended up with quite a few lenses. You will want something with more reach than the 18-55. If you want to buy something now, the 55-250 it pretty good for the price but I quickly sold mine and upgraded to a 70-200 (which cost more than my camera, of course).

For your upcoming trip, I might suggest renting an 18-200. That will give you good coverage for most situations without having to change or carry lenses. I have a friend with the 18-200 and other than being slow at 200mm (f/5.6) the image quality is pretty solid. You can rent it for $34/week from thelenspal.com which is about 1/2 hour from WDW. I used them to rent a 10-22 during our last trip and they have great customer service!

When you get back you can decide if the all in one lens is better for your goals or if you want to go with a wide angle and telephoto (and ultrawide, primes, etc.). :)

kshark, thank you! Renting a lens is a wonderful idea! Then I can test the waters with different lenses before I make a steep investment. Great tip! Thanks again. :thumbsup2

kshark
05-30-2011, 03:53 PM
No problem, have a great time on vacation!