PDA

View Full Version : Need input on setting Package Pricing?

10dedfish
05-27-2011, 02:26 PM
Hey everyone!!

As I'm sure most peeps know, Im in the process of trying to startup a photography business on the side, and am coming to you all with my hat in my hand. :worship:

My daughters dance teacher has asked me to do the dance photos for business in about 2 weeks. Im trying to decide how to price my package deals, and what the avg. markup is. Im currently using a 5% +1$ (to the nearest dollar), on individual shots, and the packages are 2 wallets sheets, 2 5x7's, and 1 8x10 for 10$ This seems kinda low, so I decided to ask the pro's on board here for there input.

Thanks in advance everyone,

Matt

LPZ_Stitch!
05-27-2011, 02:40 PM
Are these posed pictures or event pictures, where you'll be catching the dancers in action at a recital? You could probably charge more for event pictures because many parents will *know* that they can't take good recital pictures with the typical/common P&S cameras.

In either case, I think $10 is WAY to low for a package of prints ... that's a Craigslist-GWC (Guy With Camera) rate! :lmao:

How much work are you going to have to do (set-up, interacting with each dancer, PP) for that $10? Personally, I think you should work upwards from how much time you're going to spend and how much $$$ you think your effort is worth. Work it out into a "dollars per hour" rate.

IMO, professional photography *should* be a little on the pricey side; there's a huge investment in gear, education and effort. It's not a burger-flipping, minimum-wage job! :rotfl:

ChiSoxKeith
05-27-2011, 02:50 PM
Which dance school are you shooting at and how can I sign up my kid to go there?

:rotfl2:

Package A at my daughter's dance school (I'm writing the check right now).........

1 8x10 (individual)
1 8x10 (group shot)
2 5x7
4 3x5
2 Jumbo Wallets

$33

10dedfish
05-27-2011, 03:10 PM
Ha!

Miss Kelly's school of Dance, Currituck NC.

Im glad for the responses, as I really had no idea what the going rate is. I havent talked to Miss Kelly yet, thats going to happen sometime this coming week, but I could probably make that happen as well with lensrental or something along those lines.

I can tell more thought is needed, but I at least have a starting place now.

Thanks Guys!

Matt

GrillMouster
05-27-2011, 03:29 PM
Don't price based on someone else's prices. You don't know what their costs are and you don't know whether their prices are profitable. Price based on your own cost of goods, cost of operating, etc. Don't forget to pay your taxes. If you're not insured for this business, be extra careful that no one trips over your gear.

photo_chick
05-27-2011, 03:45 PM
What photographers charge changes in each market.

At my daughter's dance school for the studio portraits... packages start at $35 for the individual shots, which is still on the less expensive side here. And company dancers can have 5-10 dances easily. I only purchase 1 8x10 of each of my daughters group shots and those are $10 each. Now keep in mind the photographers who do dance school portraits and things like that work in high volume. They have studio lighitng so there is really not a lot of editing for each image. And with the group shots they will likely sell at least one print for each kid in the shot so they can be priced lower than the individual shots.

There is no magic formula to know how much to charge for photography. It is a matter of figuring out how long it will take you to do the work, how much you want to make per hour and how much overhead you need to off set. Take all that and do some math magic and see if it's a resonable number for your area.

10dedfish
05-27-2011, 04:46 PM
Thanks Photochick and Grillmouster!

Both are very good points as well. Im not trying to pay off my mortgage as this is a side job Im trying to build up, but I would like to be able to afford more equipment, as I have very little.

You have all made good points, and I can see I have more research to do.

Once again, you guys have saved the day with your support.

You guys Rock!

Matt:thumbsup2