PDA

View Full Version : Booked through AAA - a misktake????

iminla
05-23-2011, 10:51 AM
There was absolute no price difference at all between AAA and Disney website price. I don't why I didn't book it directly with Disney - instead I booked with AAA :-(((( Did I make a huge mistake???

Will I miss out on special e-mails/perks etc. due to this???

It is our first visit so i thought I will go through AAA.

I feel so bad.

WDWisTheBest
05-23-2011, 10:55 AM
There was absolute no price difference at all between AAA and Disney website price. I don't why I didn't book it directly with Disney - instead I booked with AAA :-(((( Did I make a huge mistake???

I feel so bad.

Did you book park tickets only?

iminla
05-23-2011, 11:01 AM
No - unfortunately - the whole package :-(

I hate not having a control (lol)

addiln
05-23-2011, 11:02 AM
we booked a trip a few years back through AAA and thought it was fine. we did not miss anything that we would have gotten by booking it ourselves. now that we have more experience booking it ourselves we just do it that way. i don't think you made a mistake

iminla
05-23-2011, 11:04 AM
I booked air, resort, tickets, dining @ CBR.

TaraBara
05-23-2011, 11:05 AM
We just decided to book through AAA over the weekend. If you drive, they give you a parking pass that is right next to the handicapped parking. Very close! If you don't need that parking pass, you can always go ahead and book through Disney directly and cancel your AAA package......unless you are too close to your trip and you will be penalized.

iminla
05-23-2011, 11:16 AM
We will not be driving - we are flying from California.

Reservation is for Aug 28 to Sept. 6.

mickeynut1
05-23-2011, 11:16 AM
I don't know alot about AAA as we've never booked through them, but I do know that since they are a TA, they own your reservation until you check in. If you want or need to make any changes, you will have to go through them as Disney will not discuss anything directly with you.

iminla
05-23-2011, 11:17 AM
I know for sure we won't need to make any changes ( fingers crossed).

Is there any other disadvantage or advantage??

mickeynut1
05-23-2011, 11:29 AM
I know for sure we won't need to make any changes ( fingers crossed).

Is there any other disadvantage or advantage??

Since the price was the same either way, I can't think of anything, other than AAA giving you a parking pass like the pp mentioned :).

Baltazar
05-23-2011, 11:40 AM
I don't think it's a mistake.
Plus AAA gives you perks that booking through Disney does not.

Control of your reservation is over rated.
When dealing with Disney over the phone they can be a bit cold.

iminla
05-23-2011, 11:44 AM
Baltazar: Besides the Parking - what are the other perks???

Rorey
05-23-2011, 12:22 PM
Your AAA agent should have sent you a pdf file of all the advantages with having your vacation packaged booked through AAA. If they didn't ask them for it. There are a ton of % off places for dinners, tours, shops, and other stuff. If you do receive a PIN or there's a promotion out through Disney that works for your dates just forward the information to your agent and they will refigure the numbers for you so you receive the best price with discounts.

We just booked ours with AAA and I was able to get 20% my packaged (booked at a Deluxe), though we booked out airfare ourselves.

gigicnm
05-23-2011, 12:35 PM
We've booked through AAA before with no issues. They were able to apply the current Disney discount. My TA was very helpful. Airfare ended up being less expensive through them then what I could find online & then it was covered under travel insurance that I bought through them.

I just had my TA give me my booking number so I could book my own ADR's on-line.

All the perks were the same as when you book through Disney (% off boat rentals, mini-golf, etc.). AAA also gave cute luggage tags.

If there is no deal at the time you are visiting Disney AAA gives 10-20% off.

Don't worry you'll be just fine,
Gig

LisaTC
05-23-2011, 12:35 PM
we booked a trip a few years back through AAA and thought it was fine. we did not miss anything that we would have gotten by booking it ourselves. now that we have more experience booking it ourselves we just do it that way. i don't think you made a mistake

I agree with the pp's. We booked with AAA, too. We got room/ticket pkg. We will book our own airfare most likely. I did my own ADR's except for the one's I couldn't get and she did it for me (HDDR, Harmony BBS) She would've done them, I wanted to because I knew I'd change, change, change again and didn't want to bother her.

Go to the AAA site: http://www.disneywebcontent.com/?SiteID=2144 and check out the AAA pkg perks.

I know factually if any deal comes along, they can get it for you. NO worries! Plus, I know they can see room information in detail being a T/A. Also, if a room only discount comes out, the ticket prices at AAA are very competitive and include tax. I've posted this before, maybe if you do a search for AAA some recent posts will pop up.

Enjoy! You're brave going in summer, I never could, I'd perish! :headache:

iminla
05-23-2011, 01:03 PM
Gig or anyone: how do I make reservation for dining??? I tried doing it online but it said you have to pay (a little came) - we have free dining offer so have basic dining plan - how does this work??

Any help -advice PLEASE??

Sue M
05-23-2011, 01:05 PM
Did AAA book you with free dining offer that is out?

Lol, we must have posted at the same time. Just saw you post that you have free dining!

You'd go onto the Disney site and follow link to Dining. There are some 2TS restaurants that do require a Credit Card to hold reservation. Even if you have free dining. When we book a 2TS, we eat CS dinner one night, pay OOP and save the dining credit for the 2TS.

Or your AAA TA should be able to make the ADRs for you.

LisaTC
05-23-2011, 02:41 PM
When I did my first one I needed to use my room confirmation -- it is what is on your receipt that should have been mailed to you from AAA. It will ask you how you made your reservation, choose travel agent, etc and follow the prompts. It may ask you if you want to link these dining reservations to the above package reservation? I can't remember exactly. Then you can make oodles of dining reservations.:banana: Be mindful, as the PP said, you will need a credit card hold for Akershus, CRT, etc. I don't have DP, so I had my CC already charged for HDDR.

DustyPixie
05-23-2011, 03:06 PM
I'm sure you got a decent deal that way. I have booked resort/ticket packages through AAA a few times in the past, but have more recently booked our resort stays through Disney to take advantage of room-only discounts, rather than the packages that AAA provides, which are sometimes more expensive than the deeper Disney discounts, if and when they're offered. :confused3 If Disney doesn't have any good promotions going, then using an AAA travel agent is definitely the way to go.

For our upcoming October trip, I booked our resort through Disney, and Disney gave me the standard 15% AAA discount on mods when I made the reservation. If Disney offers a better room-only deal for that time period, I can rebook for the larger discount. Also, we can get discounted Park Hopper tickets through our local AAA office, which takes about $25 off each ticket, tax included, so there are many ways to get some savings through AAA that don't necessarily involve booking their standard package.;)

dzorn
05-23-2011, 03:35 PM
I booked air, resort, tickets, dining @ CBR.

I would not have booked air through them, but I want control of when to arrive, leave and have non-stop. Other than that not much different than booking direct.

Denise in MI

iminla
05-23-2011, 04:13 PM
Denise - eventhough I booked Air with them - i had kind of looked at my flight options ahead of time and i was able to get the airline and the time i wanted

does anyone know how the storytime reservation work??? Any info???

mskermit
05-23-2011, 04:34 PM

I feel so bad.

we book thru AAA all the time and yes there are some "extras". we got a book of coupons last year when we picked up our documents. there is a coupon for special AAA parade viewing in the MK, it is at the train station, and you can book that 6 months in advance. there are coupons for boat rental discounts, storytime, planet hollywood, and a % off card to use at certain restraunts and at the world of disey store in DTD. I have not one complaint with booking thru AAA. I had someone cancel that was going with us at 11:30 am, we were leaving that night at 1am and AAA was able to get me a refund for the tickets asap. I still get all of the disney pin offers in the mail. Honestly , i think they track it if you visit the site and price out a vacation! no worries, you didnt make a mistake!!!! :goodvibes

mskermit
05-23-2011, 04:38 PM
Denise - eventhough I booked Air with them - i had kind of looked at my flight options ahead of time and i was able to get the airline and the time i wanted

does anyone know how the storytime reservation work??? Any info???

there is a number to call. I think it may be the same number to reserve carriage rides and things like that.

becauseisaid
05-23-2011, 04:41 PM
there is a coupon for special AAA parade viewing in the MK, it is at the train station, and you can book that 6 months in advance.

Wait. What? You can get a reserved parade spot? Seriously?! Is the spot desirous? Who do I have to know to get in on this?

Aliceacc
05-23-2011, 04:56 PM
In a very rough economy, you got someone a commission at no cost to you or your family.

You got the AAA discount. If a better deal comes along, you agent can transfer the reservation.

Should something go wrong, you have the backing of AAA.

You did nothing wrong, and a lot right. Have a marvelous trip.

scottmel
05-23-2011, 05:30 PM
I tend to always book my own trip. However we ended up winning a free trip via AAA for this August. however the CM at Disney told me she would not be able to see my trip or even verify where I was staying - that was all AAA. Ok. I went ahead and made my own dining reservations, I am a pro, and lo and behold yesterday I logged into my disney account and there is my AAA reservation on my home page. using a AAA number and all for the reservation number. Per the CM this would never be as they can't see any info until the day before the trip???? Makes no sense...But for some whacko reason I like being able to SEE my resort, all my inforation about the pkg right there on my home page.

Will I book again via AAA? Doubtful. No need. But in your case, first trip, why the heck not? Like PP said you gave someone else a commission and if you find a discount you like better she can apply it for you...

nkereina
05-23-2011, 08:32 PM
Didn't get a chance to read through the whole thread. I used to work at AAA and I don't believe you made a mistake. The reason there is no difference between the AAA price and Disney price is most likely because there were no more rooms available at the AAA rate. The AAA discount, even in a package, is on room only and just like every other promo - once the rooms they allot for that rate are gone, that's it. By booking at AAA you will get some other perks such as prime parade viewing spot, some discount cards, a diamond parking pass, story time experience, etc. Ask your agent for a list and he or she can get one for you. You will still receive emails from Disney if you are signed up through their web site to receive emails, so you will still be notified of new Disney promos. Your agent will also be aware of these new Disney promos and will have no problem switching if it saves you money. If he or she is on top of it, they will let you know about it but some aren't so keep an eye out for new discounts yourself too and don't hesitate to call. Being your first trip, it's great to have an agent to rely on. AAA is a preferred partner with Disney and any agent who sells Disney there goes through extensive training and site inspections and should be able to answer any questions. You will not lose out on anything by not booking with Disney, and you'll also have someone to fall back on if you need anything or have questions.

OnlyDisney
05-23-2011, 09:28 PM
We booked through AAA last year for our trip the week after Thanksgiving. The diamond parking pass was wonderful! The spots were very close so we didn't have to worry about getting our double stroller, 2 kids, and all our stuff on a tram. The AAA storytime at Epcot was the highlight of our trip for our son. There was just a small group of kids there (we had Mary Poppins). We had free dining. I made my own dining reservations on the Disney website without a hotel reservation number. When I wanted to add an extra day to our trip all I had to do was call our AAA agent and she took care of it for us, no problem. It all went well and we'll use AAA again.

mskermit
05-23-2011, 09:48 PM
Wait. What? You can get a reserved parade spot? Seriously?! Is the spot desirous? Who do I have to know to get in on this?

this started last year. the AAA viewing is at the entrance of MK up in the train station balcony. you do have to reserve it thru disney. i didnt know about it until i picked up my documents from AAA and found it in the coupons you get. i called but i couldnt get a reservation in that short of time. i was told by a CM when i called you can book this months in advance.

ettercap11
05-24-2011, 12:00 AM
disney res systems does not show reservations from TA but it doesn't mean the website won't. Also, you can call 407 WDW DINE to make dining reservations. It is on the website people :cool1:

Princess Sleepy
05-24-2011, 12:14 AM
For Storytime you call the number listed on your voucher to reserve your time. (They only do it certain days of the week.) Last summer we did it at the Norway Pavilion in Epcot. It was upstairs in a special (air conditioned) room. Snow White came out and interacted with the kids, then read them a story about the dwarfs, then took pictures and signed autographs. There were maybe 12 kids there. It was great!

As far as booking through AAA, for our first trip a few years ago (before I was familiar with these boards), WDW came out with the stay four nights, get three free deal. My AAA agent called me and told me about it, found me a room, and we got to upgrade to the Poly for what we had been paying for a Mod before. If you have an agent you trust, it can be a great thing!

Aliceacc
05-24-2011, 05:27 AM
If you have the flexibility, ask your agent whether moving your date a little, or making a change in resorts, would get you the AAA discount.

GMU MOM
05-24-2011, 09:27 AM
Did you get the free dining offer through AAA? Because your check in date is when free dining starts.

nkereina
05-24-2011, 09:32 AM
Yes, look into free dining if you didn't get that. You can book that through your AAA agent.

Also for the parade, the reserved spots are only good for the afternoon parade and you must have a packaged with dining booked through AAA to reserve your spot.

Shanudge
05-24-2011, 09:48 AM
Booking through AAA gives you the advantage of having one TA handle all your stuff. The price was excellent when I booked in October 2010 for our July 2011 trip....and then when I got a free dinning pin in the mail, my AAA person had no issue making the adjustments to our reservation. I was able to make my own dinning reservations without a hassle and I can even see them on the Disney website. They give you some small perks (% off some things, arcade card, % off kids club..) and while they are really not a big deal, I will be taking advantage of the StoryTime that they give you....I just liked knowing for my yearly fee to AAA, I can use it for something other than car stuff!
Have a great trip!

lblume91
05-24-2011, 10:52 AM
We are preparing to leave on our 4th trip booked through AAA. We've always been very happy with them. I make my ADRs over the phone & have never had any problems. I've found the AAA rate is always cheaper than the Disney website quote, unless you're getting in on free dining or some other great deal.

mskermit
07-05-2011, 01:14 PM
i just got my AAA magazine this weekend. There is a special, at least in my area, if you book your trip on July 18, you get a free basic membership renewal, and a 25.00 gift card with booking your trip that day. all you have to put down is the deposit. Of course you don't get the card or the renewal until your trip is paid for. still basic membership is 61.00 + the 25.00 gift card

lisam427
07-06-2011, 02:19 PM
we booked with aaa on all of our trips in the past. never really had any issues. i did all of my adrs myself. my agent pretty much would check for deals for me and if they made the room cheeper she would let me know and apply whatever deal.

last trip we ended up booking the room for september without any discounts. when free dining came out she e-mailed me and added it to my reservation without any hassle. this saved us so much $$$$ as we were four adults on that trip. last trip we also ended up adding my sister, her fiancee, and their baby and switching resorts. the agent handled the changes without any problems. she was very professional and did a good job.

Have3Kids&aHusband
07-06-2011, 03:15 PM
I booked about 2 weeks ago with AAA for July 2012. I figured if I'm going to use their discount for now I might as well let them do it for me. I ended up saving about $400 for now. If free dining comes out or a better room discount, I'll have her change it, which she said she would be able to do. We used AAA for two of our other trips & I know the one the price went down before we went bc of specials that were out there & that was before I kept an eye on discounts. The TA did it for us. Also, they do have a list of perks. I'm not sure what they all are, but it was included in my itinerary. I'm going to double check the % off the kids club bc we're going to actually use it one night for our anniversary dinner.

Princesca
07-06-2011, 03:31 PM
Does anyone know of an awesome AAA agent in the KY area?

HubbDave
07-06-2011, 03:53 PM
We booked our rooms/tickets through AAA and we saved 12.5% or so vs going through Disney. While a little slow, they have been able to make any changes we have asked for. One example was we originally had QS dining, then got the card from Dis with the Free Dining code, so we called/emailed AAA and switched. No problems. They also got us a very cheap car rental for the tail end of our trip, plus the aforementioned "perks".

AAA Southern New England is awesome. Have used them for many things over the years. Would never, ever drop them