PDA

View Full Version : Best Compact P & S? Nikon Coolpix P300 or Canon 500 HS Elph??

ABE4DISNEY
05-21-2011, 02:14 PM
Hi!

Please help me decide between these two cameras! :confused3 They seem to be almost identical to me, but I don't want to waste my investment. I am really only interested in the following things for my new camera:

#1 Small size--has to fit in my pocket
#2 Best shots possible for using an automatic setting
#3 Great low light pictures
#4 Super video quality

I primarily use my camera to capture our Disney memories so all advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks so much!! :goodvibes

d3mckinl
05-21-2011, 05:50 PM
a quick side by side comparrison has them close to eache other looks like the big difference is touch screen vs buttons. with this aspect I think it is important to see how each one feels in your hands. the nikon squeeks a touch wider apeture which allows for more light into the camera possably making night time/ low light situations a little faster.

http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon-ELPH-500HS-vs-Nikon-P300

ABE4DISNEY
05-21-2011, 09:18 PM
a quick side by side comparrison has them close to eache other looks like the big difference is touch screen vs buttons. with this aspect I think it is important to see how each one feels in your hands. the nikon squeeks a touch wider apeture which allows for more light into the camera possably making night time/ low light situations a little faster.

http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon-ELPH-500HS-vs-Nikon-P300

Okay, I'm a novice. . .so faster makes the night time/low light better?

The Nikon is already in lots of stores, but the Canon is only online so I can't try out the touch screen; I am a bit worried about it though.

I did check out the website and they do seem to be so close to each other. I still can't decide what to do. You are obviously more knowledgeable about cameras than I so when you read all of the specs which sounds like the better camera??

Thanks so much for your quick response. :goodvibes

d3mckinl
05-22-2011, 11:10 AM
In all honesty I just started my camera education a few months ago and have been spending hours online reading everything that sounds interesting at the moment.
The aperture thing is how wide open the hole is that allows light into the camera. since light is what makes pictures the more ways you can manipulate the light getting to the camera the more options you have. By faster pictures I meant that you may get less motion blur with handheld shots in less than ideal situations.
The P&S that we used before I made the jump to DSLR was a cannon elph from several years ago before the days of touch screens. I don't know which one I'd recommend for you because most of my research was focused on the bigger cameras.

Perhaps someone else on here would be able to point you in a good direction