PDA

View Full Version : PORTOFINO BAY HOTEL Information

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Robinrs
10-02-2002, 12:13 PM
<center>http://www.loewshotels.com/hotels/images/2nd_level_portofino.jpg </center>

BY POPULAR REQUEST!

This will be a thread dedicated to information for the UNIVERSAL PORTOFINO BAY HOTEL.

Add all of your information about rates, discounts, room types etc. here!

:D

MadaboutMIB
10-02-2002, 12:37 PM
I just booked PBH through Expedia for $132.50/night. Was just wandering what should I request, as far as location, to be close to (if possible) the boat, pool and restaurants? If only one is possible than I would like to be close to the boat. Thanks. I have never stayed here I am really looking forward to it - heard great things. Although, I still can't seem to drop my ressy at HRH for deluxe room just yet (just in case).

Kim :jester:

Daryl
10-02-2002, 05:24 PM
I'm on my way back to PBH in a week. Its the nicest hotel I've ever stayed in! I love it more than the GF at Disney, Have a great trip!:D

E.Jane
10-02-2002, 10:20 PM
PBH booked for 5 nights April 3 - 7 at $230 for a deluxe, fan club rate. 5 night minimum to qualify.

My problem is I only can stay 4. Any thoughts on whether they'll allow me to pay the 5 at discounted rate vs. 4 nights at rack when I check out. Believe it or not, paying for 5 nights at $230 is still cheaper than 4 nights at $329!

crazyme5kids
10-03-2002, 06:40 AM
What rates are people getting for between Christmas and New Years (not before)? I got a rate of $209 a night, but if better rates are out I want to know if I shoud start calling again. Anyone?

Seahag
10-03-2002, 08:28 AM
Aisling :

The PBH is in NO way stuffy, granted, it is beautiful & the first time, we were ovewhelmed by the grandeur , HOWEVER, it is a real nice place & if we didn't feel uncomfortable, then everyone else should be fine. The way you are treated makes you feel like royality.
This will be out 3rd trip back, we can't get enough.
I say go for it, I can't imagine you would regret it.
Haggy

SuAnne
10-03-2002, 08:52 AM
We are going for two nights in early December and I have the Entertainment Rate for RPH for $99 ( plus still have to buy the Entertainment book). I can get a rate of $169 for a Bay View at PBH through Expedia. Since we are only ther for the two nights, I was thinking we should splurge and stay at PBH.... but not sure what to do :confused: Is PBH nicely decorated for the holidays? Also... at the Universal hotels is there somewhere to buy a container of milk for DD? Thanks!!

Daryl
10-03-2002, 11:29 AM
If a hotel is just a place for you to sleep while you enjoy the parks don't bother switching, I've heard and read great things about the other on property hotels, on the other hand, if the hotel is an very important part of the overall vacation experience for you then
you will not do better than the PBH. Whatever you choose I know you will have fun:D

PartyofSix
10-03-2002, 04:58 PM
KIM: Requst East Villas there a hop to the boat and the resturants don't skip Mama Della's it's wonderful and the kids will love it.

E.Jane
10-04-2002, 07:39 PM
We have a deluxe room booked, and wondered if these room types are available overlooking the villa pool. Or is the bay view better (or is a bay view even an option)?

A balcony is also very important to me and I've heard a few deluxe rooms don't have balconies. The first part of our week will be at the HRH, and we've always stayed at moderates at WDW, and never had a balcony. I want to be able to sit out there at the end of the day and sip a drink! From the pictures I've seen, the balconies don't look very big. Are they big enough to sit out on, and are there chairs out there?

Fan2CSkr
10-04-2002, 10:08 PM
E.Jane,

"We have a deluxe room booked, and wondered if these room types are available overlooking the villa pool. Or is the bay view better (or is a bay view even an option)?

A balcony is also very important to me and I've heard a few deluxe rooms don't have balconies. The first part of our week will be at the HRH, and we've always stayed at moderates at WDW, and never had a balcony. I want to be able to sit out there at the end of the day and sip a drink! From the pictures I've seen, the balconies don't look very big. Are they big enough to sit out on, and are there chairs out there?"

You have a deluxe pool view booked (beautiful rooms) so I would like to make a suggestion. Prior to our first visit a balcony was very important to me also. I didnt realize that most rooms do not offer balconies no matter what the view. So we ended up in a bayview with a very small balcony no table. While we were there I looked at the deluxe pool view rooms (like you have booked) and decided next trip we would request this. I was thrilled with our room ground floor that offered french doors opening to a patio overlooking the villa pool. The patio was more spacious than the balcony, table and chairs.

I prefer the west wing to the east wing rooms. If you do decide to try for a patio we stayed in room #2258 (2 queen room)
Another room #2665 is a deluxe also with a balcony. (King room)
The other room was room #2461 (small balcony)

One other mention, if you are staying during a busy time dont be too upset if you get neither. If that happens have a nice relaxing drink at the main piazza and you can also stop by the Gelateria for authentic gelato to savor on the patio.

Hope you are able to get a room you desire! :)

CPM
10-04-2002, 11:34 PM
I always laugh to myself when I see that people describe PBH as stuffy. It *IS* a luxuious resort. You *DO* see people in tee shirts & bathing suits. There *ARE* kids everywhere. It is by no means stuffy. I lug my cooler in, I have my kids, they do what kids do,even like they do at Disney's All stars. It has two family style restaurants, pizza place, ice-cream place, arcade, three pools and so on. It's a relaxed luxuious resort.
If you don't care about the amenities at club level, book PBH .t's a great rate! I love club level at RP but we use it, if I didn't use it then I would book PBH hands down. hopefully some day they will bring club or concierge back to PBH!

corvair
10-05-2002, 05:42 AM
Where is a good location to request to be near the main pool? I have 2 DDs that will want to be running back and forth from the pool to the room. thanks..amy

CPM
10-05-2002, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by corvair
Where is a good location to request to be near the main pool? I have 2 DDs that will want to be running back and forth from the pool to the room. thanks..amy

Just ask for the west wing near the beach pool.

E.Jane
10-05-2002, 10:48 AM
Thanks Fan2Cskr - I will request #2258 - sounds perfect!

And to those trying to book rooms with discounts who are faced with "minimum nights" required. I booked 5 nights to get a fan club discount, but was unable to change my flights and can only stay for 4 nights. I called back to see if checking out after 4 nights, but paying the cheaper rate for 5 would be a problem. The woman on the phone was very helpful and changed my ressie to 4 nights at the discounted rate! I was totally shocked that they were willing to do this. I'm not sure WDW would ever give me such a break, so hats off to Universal and the PBH hotel!

I also got an explanation on how the discounts are released. Apparently they are all computer-generated. The computer goes back to last year's occupancy records, and if it was really busy then, they will hold off releasing discounts. I'm planning on arriving March 31st next year, which just happened to be easter week this year. Although she checked and said there are tons of vacancies for that week next year, the computer has not yet realized it's not easter week. Eventually (hopefully soon) they'll see that they have to release something to fill up the rooms that week. So to those of you getting worried about getting a discount, keep phoning - every day!!

corvair
10-06-2002, 09:10 AM
CPM. thanks for the reply about west wing. Would I need to book a certain veiw to be in the west wing? Or certain kind of room? thanks. amy

PartyofSix
10-06-2002, 10:37 AM
Amy,

Double check with CPM I think she may have meant East Villa's Not WEST Villa's. East Villas are right above the Beach Pool facing North and Villa pool if your in a South Facing room. Our rooms 2663,2665,2677 are facing out over beach pool area. Now rooms 2674,2676 directly overlook Villa Pool. REcheck on that I don't want you to be stuck over in no mans land on the West side w/out the beach pool.

Fan2CSkr
10-06-2002, 12:30 PM
East Guest Wing rooms start with a 1

West Guest Wing rooms start with a 3

Villa Guest Wing rooms start with a 2

The second digit would be the floor #
The Third/Fourth digit is the room #

Hospitality Wing would be rooms numbered 2324-2529
Villa Guest Wing would be rooms numbered 2230-2693
West Guest Wing 3130-3567
East Guest Wing 1130-1598

My personal opinion when booking a gardenview or bayview room only is to request the WEST wing rooms. They are closest to the boat, pool and most everything else. East wing rooms are closest to the Hillside pool and that is way far from the boat dock.

I think that CPM was not speaking of the "villa" rooms but the west and east winged rooms in general. Villa rooms are a whole different location.

E.Jane
10-06-2002, 12:34 PM
I just had another question about room location - are there certain rooms/wings where we'd have a better chance with getting a "parlour" upgrade? I like the sound of room 2258, but not at the cost of missing out on a possible upgrade.

I want it ALL - a deluxe room, with patio/balcony, preferably ground level overlooking the villa pool, with a parlour next door in case we luck out on an upgrade. I don't want too much, do I?! ;)

So, does anyone know if such a room exists?

corvair
10-06-2002, 04:24 PM
Partyofsix, what is a villa room. Is there a room that would be called pool veiw? we will problably just go with a regular room with 2 doulble beds. I do want to be near the main pool. I did not book yet, I am getting ready to call and book for May using the entertainment rate, AAA. or fan club. I will try to get the best rate and room near the main pool. thanks for any help. I have never stayed on sight at Universal, this is all new to me. thanks..amy

PartyofSix
10-06-2002, 07:42 PM
Hey Amy, I'm glad to see your finally taking the plunge>LOL Now what pool are you calling the Main pool? There is a beach and Villa pool and there basically is a wing of rooms that run in between them you take the same elevator for both those pools when you get off you literally are at the pool gates you take a left for the villa and a right for the beach pool. You would be very, very, close to the boat dock too. The third pool I never got around to visiting as it was on the West side of the hotel. Yes, it's big enough to describe WEst to East.LOL A villa is a room remember you are in italy amy.LOL Call and request room 2663 this room will be a deluxe with two queen beds and a baloncy over looking the beach pool it's a nice room. It'll go for 180.00 ent. rate. I don't believe PBH has rooms with double beds though amy. These are lovely, rooms I just can't wait for you to go and come back and rave about this place I hope your family appreciates all the hard work you have put into everyones vacation. If you'd rater over look the villa pool ask for 2676 (balcony) or 2674 no balcony both have queen beds and are deluxe rooms

corvair
10-06-2002, 08:52 PM
Thanks partyofsix. when I say main pool, I am talking about the pool with the slide. I guess that would be the beach pool. $180.00 entertainment rate is a great rate. I hope I can get that rate. thanks,,amy

Fan2CSkr
10-06-2002, 08:57 PM
http://www.wdw-photos.com/maps/portomap.gif

Just trying to clear up East from West. If you want to be near the boat dock you want to be on the West side of the property not East.

CPM
10-06-2002, 10:18 PM
OMG! You guys have even me confused! I was at Busch Gardens all weekend, sorry I didn't respond any sooner.
I didn't realize that the villa rooms aren't considered to be in the west wing. I usually just request west wing /villa room & I have always had a villa room. I don't remember the room #'s off hand except the last one was 2333 king bed/bay view.
The others have been facing the villa pool and right near the elevator that walks out to either pool which is very convenient.
I would love a balcony someday but I don't think I would be able to sleep in a smoking room. I don't think I would like being in the East wing, seems to far from everything. And the Hillside pool is just ordinary.
I have yet to be disappointed with a room at Portofino!

corvair
10-07-2002, 05:24 AM
Are all the rooms concidered villas? thanks..amy

ksdave
10-08-2002, 10:29 PM
Just booked Sat., Feb. 1st, Bay View room for $170, Entertainment rate. How are the Bay View rooms? Are they as big as the regular rooms at WDW Poly?
Kids, DW and I are really looking forward to this business trip :)

CPM
10-08-2002, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by corvair
Are all the rooms concidered villas? thanks..amy

No, they started out being the concierge rooms. They are a bit larger, and they have a separate shower and tub, and a few more design touches. The rooms start in the hall off the lobby snd go around the villa pool.

Fan2CSkr
10-08-2002, 11:00 PM
Hi Dave,

Portofino gardenview and bayview are 462 sq ft (average)
Poly is 409 sq ft. (average)

Were staying at both these hotels in december and I cant wait!!:bounce:

business trip :p Have Fun

ksdave
10-09-2002, 12:03 PM
Thanks Fan2CSkr. That's what I wanted to hear.

E.Jane
10-15-2002, 11:11 AM
Does anyone know if there are jogging trails at the PBH? And if so, how long are they?

Daryl
10-15-2002, 12:29 PM
I just got back Today!!!!! Yes there is a path, a walking path, it is paved,but I believe it is suitable for jogging, it goes around the resort past the Hard Rock and all the way to the Theme Parks. Hpe this helps :D

E.Jane
10-15-2002, 01:03 PM
Thanks Daryl! I hope you are posting a trip report soon?! We've never stayed at PBH before and I am enjoying hearing all about everyone's stay there!

Pin Wizard
10-31-2002, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by CPM
I have yet to be disappointed with a room at Portofino!
Nice place but...Having been there just once which was this past March, we must have been in the East wing...not a very exciting place. LOL! And we must have walked around to the left to the tiny pool which is #26 on the map. (I think that's a pool.) We never did venture to the "main" pool which a friend told me about after the fact. The room was very nice. However, our "garden view" was a bush right outside the window and some grass on a tiny hill. The bush touched the window! Very yucky view!! I won't stay in that room again.

grumbada
11-07-2002, 03:35 PM
Hi Folks!

DH and I just visited the RP for our Anniversary, and on Friday Nov.1 we dropped by the PB to check things out... And I saw the SWEETEST thing!!

We came upon the aftermath of a marriage proposal! Someone had "(Name) will you marry me?" spelled out, in carved-out, previously lit pumpkins!! and placed together around the edge of the bay (on the side near the ice cream shop). The entire thought was so incredibly beautiful, I almost puddled up... I felt funny about taking a picture (to post) of something that was so incredibly personal to someone else, so I didn't... I'll always remember it though...

Kudos to whomever and wherever the happy couple are!
:jester:

Aisling
11-07-2002, 04:19 PM
grumbada, I wish you would have taken a picture of the pumpkin marraige proposal! What a unique and romantic idea.

*Flower*
11-10-2002, 11:33 AM
Thanks to all of you on this thread, I've just booked us a Deluxe Pool View room at the PBH for May 29 - June 1.

BTW, the tax rate as of Jan. 1 will be going up to 11.5% per night per room- I really budget, so it was nice to be informed of this.

I took advantage of the "Save $5 and free shipping" on an Entertainment book last night, and today I was able to book the PBH at the Entertainment rate!!

It will be our first time at the PBH, so THANK YOU ALL!!!!!!!!!!

corvair
11-17-2002, 05:38 PM
Does anyone know what the pool hours are? thanks..amy

ZachnElli
01-02-2003, 08:50 PM
What is this Entertainment Rate? How do I get it? We stayed at PBH just a few months after opened and paid full price, I'd love to get a discount this time!;) Thanks, Dana

PartyofSix
01-03-2003, 07:29 AM
Just call the 800 to book and ask for ent. rate code for your dates. THey also offer AP, Fan Club rates. ENt rates seem to be the lowest available. If they can book you at ent rate go to www.entertainment.com and buy ANY book there is a cc looking card in the front of the book that's what they'll ask to see. Also del toria accepts this card in the resturant for discounts.

ZachnElli
01-03-2003, 08:37 AM
Thank you Party of Six!:) I checked on the Universal website last night and they too are running a special. They had PBH gardenview at 166 a night including tax. You just had to buy the tickets through them too, which is fine with me since I need them anyway!:cool:

nan60
01-03-2003, 03:56 PM
I got a deluxe room at the pbh for 180 entertainment rate. Which wing do I want to be near the dock and the pool with the slide? Also I have read that service is poor, is this true. When I booked I was told there is complimentary beverages in the lobby is this true? Thanks

PartyofSix
01-03-2003, 07:18 PM
Nan you want to be in the West Villa's for the beach pool and quick trip to the boat dock. I have never heard anyone say that service at PBH is poor. I guess i have'nt read it all. I have been at PBH for 3 stays since July and have had nothing but star treatment from each employee i have talked to. You will love PBH. It's amazing to be there. They do not serve drinks in the lobby unless there having something special, for instance during the holidays they had a wine tasting set up in the lobby one evening. They are talking about bringing club level back to the PBH so you might like to check on that if it interest you. Also welcome to the boards. BTW what dates are you visiting so others will note when you scored your ent. rate.

ksdave
01-03-2003, 07:39 PM
FYI:

The Travel Channel will be having the episode of their show, "Great Hotels", about PBH at the following dates/times:

Jan. 5th, 11:00 AM EST
Jan. 27th, 12:30 PM EST

They will also be doing shows about Disney's Grand Floridian, Animal Kingdom Lodge, and Yacht & Beach Club Resorts during January. You can get the schedules at their website, www.travelchannel.com.

nan60
01-04-2003, 02:34 PM
I got the entertainment rate for 3/30 thru 4/5 deluxe room at Pbh
for 180. Is there a place to grab a quick breakfast we are not big breakfast eaters. Also is there any place to get milk my kids like to have a glass before bed and i I also like regular milk in my coffee. I understand there are coffe makers in the room. Thanks for everyone's help.

PartyofSix
01-04-2003, 03:08 PM
We took a cooler and put a gal of milk in it. You can buy it at the gift shop next to the front desk also.

mariamard
01-04-2003, 06:24 PM
WE ARE NOT BIG BREAKFAST EATERS. WE PRETTY MUCH EAT A BOWL OF CEREAL AND A PIECE OF FRUIT AND WAIT FOR A BIG LUNCH. WHEN WE STAY AT WDW, WE PAY A FEE FOR A SMALL FRIDGE AND KEEP MILK, FRUIT, ETC. IN THE ROOM INSTEAD OF PAYING $50 PER BREAKFAST FOR 5. ANYWAY, ARE THERE FRIDGES TO USE? IS THERE A FEE? WE HAVE A "BAY ROOM" NOW, BUT WE WERE GOING TO UPGRADE TO EITHER A DELUXE OR KID SUITE WITH OUR LOWES CARD ( IF AT ALL POSSIBLE). DO THEY KEEP FRIDGES IN ANY CERTAIN ROOM CATAGORY? WOULD WE BETTER OFF JUST UPGRADING?? THANKS! WE ARE LEAVING IN 13 DAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bounce:

PartyofSix
01-04-2003, 08:34 PM
No rooms have ref. in them. But they do have snack bars and mini bars. They say it does not keep as cold as reg. ref do but I disagree. On our first trip with the kids we sat out some of the soda's and put our bottles of milk in them and they kept just fine. They have yahoo's and beer and soda in there and they stay cold so just buy up what you need and take out non parishable things like the soda's for the space you need to store your things and then replace them when you leave. Parlors do offer mini ref's in them and I was able to fit 2 gals of milk, 4 sticks of butter, 24 slices of cheese 1 gal of ice cream (i put this in the ice maker compartment) and 6 cans of soda in that little thing.LOL

E.Jane
01-04-2003, 10:27 PM
Nan, do you mind me asking when you booked for the entertainment rate? I have 7 nights booked from March 31 to April 7, and only the first two and last two nights were available at entertainment rates. The last time I checked on the rates was last weekend. I'm just wondering if something has suddenly opened up, or if your rates were secured much earlier.

Thanks

nan60
01-05-2003, 06:19 PM
I just booked my entertainment rate this past week. I kept asking for entertainment rate at the HRH which wasn't available so they asked if I wanted 180 deluxe room at the PBH, so I took it. I thought the kids really wanted HRH but they seem fine with PBH. I going to keep checking though but for now we are PBH bound. Good luck in trying for the entertainment rate.

anitad
01-08-2003, 02:24 PM
Yesterday I tried to book the entertainment rate for a 3 night stay at the PBH in August and was told that it wasn't available. I plan to call back periodically to see if one comes up. Has anyone had this happen to them?

daannzzz
01-10-2003, 12:19 PM
Do you need to give thme an Entertainment card number when you book or just when you check in?

corvair
01-10-2003, 12:22 PM
They told be to bring the card when you check in. They did not ask for my number when I booked. I got 4 nights deluxe pool veiw June 1 for 180.00 a night...amy

daannzzz
01-10-2003, 12:26 PM
Thanks. I would really like to try the Portofino but the full price is just to high for me. I might try for Royal Pacific too.

daannzzz
01-12-2003, 12:21 PM
I called and booked PBH for midweek the first of May for $170 per night for a Bay View room. I had wanted it for 3 nights but the Entertainment rate was good on 4 nights or more. They told me to bring my Entertainment card with me but did not ask the number over the phone.

LuvN~Travel
01-17-2003, 05:02 AM
One question here, can you book more than one room at a time with just one entertainment book? We're going to need three rooms if we stay onsite with my family in the fall. Or will we need three different books to book each room? Kim

CPanther95
01-17-2003, 12:22 PM
I was told when I made my ressies that I would need two separate Ent. Cards to get the rate on both rooms. My Dad has a card anyway, so it wasn't a problem. Entertainment books are only $20 right now and include free shipping. I think the prices vary per city, but if your local book is more than $20 and you just need another card, it was the Charlotte book that was only $20.

PartyofSix
01-17-2003, 08:29 PM
I have always booked multiple rooms and most of the time i'm told the same thing you need ent cards for each room. I have never ever been asked to present my card let a long one for each of my rooms. I also called the hotel each time and inquired with the manager and was told one per room is fine. I suggest you make a call to the hotel directly but definetly have atleast one card.

PartyofSix
01-17-2003, 08:34 PM
I have always booked multiple rooms and most of the time i'm told the same thing you need ent cards for each room. I have never ever been asked to present my card let a long one for each of my rooms. I also called the hotel each time and inquired with the manager and was told one per room is fine. I suggest you make a call to the hotel directly but definetly have atleast one card.

Shelton
01-27-2003, 08:04 PM
We have stayed at the PBH (fall 2002), HRH (fall 2001) and also at the SWAN (2001),Wilderness Lodge (fall 2002). The PBH was the best by far and then the HRH.

We were given an upgrade to a pool view with the $150.00 entertainment rate. The rooms are very nice and the service is top notch.

We have not stayed at the new RPH but it would be hard to believe it could campare to the PBH.

JessicaR
01-29-2003, 11:59 AM
I tried doing a search but it is down...Could anyone please give me any info or experiences they have had at the SPA? I went to the website and it seems they offer every imaginable pampering one could want sooooo whats the best?

Thanks so much!

PartyofSix
01-29-2003, 12:21 PM
The Japense(sp) is to dye for girl! I loved it they are so nice and the rooms are private and very professional gals. The well being would knock your socks off too I'm told.

JessicaR
01-29-2003, 02:04 PM
Okay PartyofSix....I'm ready for some pampering:Pinkbounc

Now what is the Japanese? Is it a facial or a massage? Come on tell me more.....please:)
Well being...hmmmm gonna have to go read about that one.

Thanks!

PartyofSix
01-29-2003, 08:38 PM
Well Jessica, the japense silk facial is a facial and massage all in one. You get your face all pampered and it is wonderful! Then she does your shoulders and your feet and it's just wonderful and relaxing. I can't wait to do it again. My husband gave me the spa treatment for an anniversary gift last year on our visit that was my first spa experience and definetly not my last.

JessicaR
01-29-2003, 11:41 PM
Sounds very relaxing...thanks for the info!

FeeFeeWhite
02-04-2003, 04:14 PM
When I called to confirm my room an Operator said I would enjoy the drinks in the lobby. Does anyone know what she means?

FeeFeeWhite
02-04-2003, 04:22 PM
Does any one know how I should request this. Yes I only have ressie for a bay view, but I can wish for a magical upgrade!!!

FeeFeeWhite
02-04-2003, 04:32 PM
I read this thread and I am still confused about the West Wing. I really want in order of priority THAT BIG BATHROOM, would that be deluxe or villa. I also want a patio with a beach pool view. Is that possible? We can all be dreamers! What should I politely ask to be upgraded to?

PartyofSix
02-04-2003, 08:42 PM
For the big bathroom you want a deluxe room. The Villa is only a Parlor room it connects to a deluxe room that would have the large bathroom. I don't think patios are doable for the beach pool actually I'm sure there not. Now a terrace or balcony could be had. If you want a king room you should request room 2665 If you want a queen room 2667 would be a nice choice. They are dead center overlooking the pool with balconies and they are deluxe rooms.

Swan
02-05-2003, 02:36 PM
Could someone please tell me the difference between the Delux and the bay view rooms? I booked a bay view because I love to look at boats coming and going, but it seems that most people are booking delux rooms.

daannzzz
02-05-2003, 03:07 PM
I also booked a bay view. It is my understanding that the deluxe rooms are a little bigger and for some reason the pool area is apparently a bigger draw for views so is more expensive. It sounds like most of the deluxe rooms are pool views.

smironov
02-05-2003, 04:15 PM
Most deluxe rooms are in the villa or west wing, which are closer to the beach pool. Bay view rooms may be in the east wing, which is more of a walk to the boat and beach pool.

CPM
02-05-2003, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by smironov
Most deluxe rooms are in the villa or west wing, which are closer to the beach pool. Bay view rooms may be in the east wing, which is more of a walk to the boat and beach pool.

There are plenty of Bay view rooms in the west wing. all the rooms by the boat dock are bay view, on the opposite side of the beach pool.

Muffy
02-06-2003, 05:15 PM
Is there a Club Level at Portofino Bay Hotel with snacks, etc?

*Flower*
02-06-2003, 06:28 PM
I believe that PBH used to have a Concierge level, but did away with it.

Hope this helps......

:smooth: :smooth: :smooth:

CPM
02-06-2003, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by *Flower*
I believe that PBH used to have a Concierge level, but did away with it.
Hope this helps......

Yes they did, but they are bringing it back. It will be a small lounge with a small amount of rooms like RP. It should be opening early spring.

PartyofSix
02-06-2003, 10:46 PM
They are looking at making the 5th floor deluxe rooms pool view there conceirge level. They are waiting for contracts for the food service to be approved and things like that.

smironov
02-07-2003, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by PartyofSix
They are looking at making the 5th floor deluxe rooms pool view there conceirge level. They are waiting for contracts for the food service to be approved and things like that.

I have been trying to find out about this. Thanks for the info. I was wandering if you know who to contact to reserve a room on this level. We are staying at PBH in April, and would love to have concierge benefits, but no one at reservations has heard about this level being added.

CPM
02-07-2003, 02:39 PM
I was told by management they are not taking reservations for club at PBH yet, since it is uncertain when they will open it.
You can call the hotel directly at 407-503-1000 ask for a manager & they can update you.

PartyofSix
02-07-2003, 10:09 PM
Simon,

I agree with cpm. They are not 100% sure they are bringing it back but there seems to be all indications they are. Unless something goes terribley wrong I think they are. You can call the number and ask for Guest Services they seems to always have the most up to date info on things like this. You could go ahead and book your rooms and request the 5th floor as that was a good bet that's where it'll be offered. You can also put in that request while your there talking with guest services on the phone. You may get lucky and score a room during there trial phase>LOL Maybe they'd allow you a comp'd upgrade so to speak>LOL Good Luck and let us know if you get more up date info. That was the last i heard middle of december.

nanciea
02-08-2003, 03:54 PM
We have reservations at PBH in April. Does any one know of a website that has a map of the property? We are suppose to be in a bay view room. Also, our reservation includes breakfast. I assume this will be a buffet, but in which restaurant?

Thanks for your help.

Mer
02-22-2003, 10:47 AM
Does anyone know how far the Portofino is from SeaWorld???

We were going to stay across from Seaworld, but I would love to try the Portofino. We will be staying at the Yacht Club for the rest of our trip, but we wanted to stay 1 night near Seaworld.

Daryl
02-22-2003, 12:11 PM
Seaworld is off of I-4 about halfway between Disney and Universal so in my opinion its very driveable. I've been considering the same plan. Have Fun!:D

Mer
02-23-2003, 02:48 PM
Thanks, in checking prices for 1 night at the Portofino, the rate was $269 per night. Is there anyway to get that less expensive?? I am staying in the beginning of May. Does the entertainment book require that you stay more than 1 or 2 evenings???? Does the Loews card say you anything???

Thanks for any help.

JessicaR
02-23-2003, 09:12 PM
It all depends on your date as to the Entertainment rate being available and if it has minimum night requirements. I just looked up www.hotelkingdom.com for May 5th and it was available for $189.00 Garden View and $220.00 Deluxe. You may also want to call Loews directly and request the "loews sweet home rate". Whne you call Loews also ask if they have ANY discounted rates available sometimes you just have to ask directly. Good Luck:)

Mer
02-24-2003, 12:38 PM
OK, I just called LOEWS directly and book a room with the entertainment card. The original price was $329 for Deluxe room, and I got it for 180! Thanks for your advice!

kid@heart
03-06-2003, 03:51 PM
What is the number to LOEWS? In advance, THANKS!
:) :) :)

Mer
03-06-2003, 04:07 PM
Their phone number is (407)503-1000
TOLL FREE (800)BEA-STAR

FeeFeeWhite
03-20-2003, 10:43 AM
Who will be at Portofino in April?

taxman
03-20-2003, 11:35 AM
I will be at the Portofino April 25, 26 & 27 - $149/nt garden view.

floridafam
04-16-2003, 12:37 PM
Just FYI-

I called the guest services manager today about pricing for some of the suites at PBH and he said that if they bring back the concierge they have to do some construction first and that the earliest they would start it is November.

DeeCeeSW
04-19-2003, 10:47 AM
Hi all,
Don't know if this has come up recently as I have not had time to go through the whole thread, so please bear with me...

PBH has been coming up on Hotwire for $149 a night for my September dates. I assume this is for a standard view. Will I be able to request a garden view? Has anyone here stayed at PBH through Hotwire?I know very little about Universal resorts as I have been concentrating mainly on Disney resorts. I will also check Expedia for my dates because it looks like I might be able to get a lower price than Hotwire!

Your input is greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!!!!!!

ksdave
04-20-2003, 08:47 AM
DeeCee;
I think $149 for PBH is a great rate, no matter what the view. I think PBH is better than GF at WDW. Could you imagine the mouse offering rooms at GF for $149???
I booked an Entertainment rate of $170 for 9/11-9/14 for a Bay View room. We stayed in a bay view, west wing room in Feb, right near the boat dock, which was awesome. We were a short walk from the "castle" pool, where my kids loved the slide and my wife and I loved the "beach" service from the bar. We're really looking forward to another five days in September!!!

FeeFeeWhite
04-27-2003, 11:01 AM
Info - It was sold out for 3 nights while we were there and I hardly saw anyone the whole time. It was packed with conventions. The place is so huge I still felt like we were almost the only ones in the resort!

Can't wait to go back. It is my new favorite. Right up there with AKL-Conci. and BW Villa.

Muffy
05-01-2003, 08:47 AM
Does PBH have club level? Thanks!

FeeFeeWhite
05-01-2003, 09:17 AM
No, but they are thinking about adding it back.

CPM
05-01-2003, 10:01 AM
They are bringing it back. It will be aon a small scale like RPR's club. It will be in the west wing villa section. Hopefully soon!!!

dzneprincess
05-23-2003, 02:09 PM
Ok my dates have changed from 06/12- 06/16 at HRH to 06/08-06/12 at PBH garden view. I will be travelling with 3 kids is this going to be a "fun" hotel for them? Where should I request to be put at? I got the ENT rate of $155 and right now am feeling a little unsure about the move to this hotel, as I had prepared myself for HRH, if that makes any sense LOL.
Does PBH have cabanas? Does someone have a website about this hotel that I can pore over?

ksdave
05-23-2003, 09:15 PM
My kids (DD 13, DS 11) love PBH. We stayed in a west wing Bay View room, which was nice and close to both the boat dock and the "castle" pool. My kids really loved this pool, with its long slide and sandy beach. They also loved eating at Mama Dellas and the pizza place with the brick oven pizzas. They can't wait to go back in Sept.

murf
05-23-2003, 09:25 PM
Reminder that for those on a budget, you can go to www.mousesavers.com and check out universal hints link
you will find that you can get hints on how to use hotwire.com to book a room at most or all 3 of the on site hotels at bargain rates
for instance in july we got RP for 113 a night, and I think HRH was 130 and PBH was 145 or so , the only catch is that hotwire charges your visa entirely as soon as u book and u cant change your reservations. consider it though if u like to feel you got the best rate. hotwire gives prices but doesnt tell you which hotel so mousesavers explains the symbols that tell you what hotels are offering the rate shown... hope this helps!

LilyThePink
05-25-2003, 01:31 AM
We just got back from a 3 night stay at PBH. We're from the UK and had originally booked 2 nights there in the middle of our stay at Caribbean Beach at Disney. My children are 12 and 15 so this might possibly be our last trip to Universal/Disney. I really wanted to visit all 3 hotels whilst we were there so on our second day we had an afternoon at the HRH. Before our visit the girls would have definately have chosen to stay there over the PBH. But whilst they liked the pool with it's sound system they both said afterwards that they preferred the PBH. The HRH is a beautiful hotel but there is just something about the theming and the atmosphere (and the beds) at the PBH that makes it feel like an experience not just a hotel. We had also booked for Tchoup Tchoup at the Royal Pacific for dinner. So I got to look at that hotel too. We went for drinks in the Orchid Lounge and the theming is lovely. My overall opinion is all 3 hotels are great, but PBH was definately the best out of them all. We liked it so much we booked another night there. If you have any questions I would be glad to answer them, also try and read posts from Party Of Six she is the expert!

cpl100
06-24-2003, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by Fan2CSkr
http://www.wdw-photos.com/maps/portomap.gif

Just trying to clear up East from West. If you want to be near the boat dock you want to be on the West side of the property not East. I wish the map showed the key for all those numbered items!

bamacamp
06-25-2003, 08:56 PM
Try this site. Go to the left hand side to maps. There is a list of all kinds of maps for DW and USO/IOS and others. There is a complete map of PBR with the map legend.http://www.wdisneyw.co.uk/index.html

cpl100
06-25-2003, 09:18 PM
Thanks bamacamp.

kjcolv
06-26-2003, 10:37 PM
What has been most succesful getting requests, room upgrades, specific rooms, etc. Calling the hotel directly, at check in, calling multiple times..what works best?? Do you find the people on the phone more helpful during the day? evening, middle of the night?? Just trying to figure out the best way or should I just try all of the above!! I just got my Loews card, my reservation is Entertainment rate. I have reserved a cabana and a spa package, perhaps that will help get an upgrade???

randbmom
08-02-2003, 02:42 PM
I'm curious also about the best way to make a request for a room location. Also the timing of the request that is most effective. Does anyone fax the PBR like we do at WDW resorts?

dorisdvu
09-05-2003, 02:17 PM
Are the 2004 entertainment rates out? What is the usual discount? Are there any blackout dates? Should I go ahead and make my reservation now (if the entertainment rates aren't out). I just applied for the Loews first card a few days ago. How are the upgrades? How does this hotel compare with the Royal Pacific? I tried to get reservations for March 2004 there but there was no availability, so that's why I'm wondering if I should go ahead and made my ressies while there is still availabilty at the PBH.

kjcolv
09-07-2003, 06:50 PM
The entertainment rate is supposed to be 50% the rack rate. so the rate varies depending on what rate the hotel has set for that date and time. The 2004 Entertainment books are available (they sell them at my sons school and we already have ours). The valid dates on the entertainment fcards are 11/1 - 11/1. You can also order the books on line.

cnoji
09-07-2003, 09:34 PM
I plan to book a Deluxe room for our first trip to Portofino. I would like a room with a nice "water" view (pool or bay). I'm tentatively thinking to get a bay view because it seems like it should be more serene/peaceful than a pool view.

Does anyone have any advice regarding this? Specific wings and/or rooms too would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

FeeFeeWhite
09-08-2003, 04:04 AM
I do not think you can get a Bay Deluxe, just a deluxe pool or garden. You can not go wrong with a deluxe. The location and room are great.

ksdave
09-09-2003, 05:41 PM
The Bay View rooms (where I will be in a little over 24 hours!) in the west wing are the best. It's a short walk to the "castle" pool and all of the restaurants, and the dock for boats to the parks is right outside your window.

SpideyHulk24
09-09-2003, 09:41 PM
Hope you have a wonderful trip. Can't wait to hear your report upon your return! Take an extra ride on Hulk and Spiderman for me!!!! ;)

thedisneymom
09-11-2003, 05:43 PM
I got my entertainment book and called PBH. I made resevations with the regular rate. The person told me to show my E card upon arrival and the e rate will be applied. Is this the correct way to do it?? I just noticed on the Entertainment site they said you must book through them and my dates for June 2004 are unavailable! HELP! ( My reservation is for a deluxe pool view pet- friendly rm for 5) Thanks ahead.

SpideyHulk24
09-11-2003, 06:42 PM
I don't think they will apply it at checkin, unless it is available at that time, but I would not risk it. You can book it through Universal directly (reservations) and they have not released the discount yet. They say it should be out by the end of the month to December. It depends who you talk to..... Just keep checking and apply it when it becomes available. June may be tough, but not impossible.

Motherfletcher
09-18-2003, 08:52 AM
How does RPH compare to PBH? PBH is luxury. Great beds and baths. I will never forget the first time I stayed there with just my 15 yr. old son on his birthday. We had a top floor with breathtaking bay view. My son was most impressed with the lighted bathroom mirror. The length of our stay though he felt like we didn't belong, like it was too ritzy. It was unlike any Disney Resort in that no one spoke to you in elevators or hallways. I stayed there again with my mother-in-law,wife and two kids in the Villas with adjoining rooms and deluxe baths. Everyone in our party agreed that it was staunch, even the charactor dinner felt stiff. A boat pilot told me he can tell the difference in the people from RPH/HRH and PBH.
My son, daughter and I just returned from a weekend at RPH where we felt much more at ease. I didn't feel out of place wearing my SpongeBob shorts. My daughter took her report card and got a Grade A Kids card that rewarded her with a free soda. I didn't ask but I feel like we were given an upgrade because of our LoewsFirst Gold Card.
I want to go to the Halloween Horror Nights in October but the weekends I can get away the only rooms available are at PBH.
I would have to say RPH is preferred for the unwashed masses such as my family.

dorisdvu
09-19-2003, 08:03 AM
Does the PBH offer "government" discounts?

Motherfletcher
09-23-2003, 08:14 AM
Loews Miami Beach does but I can't get any USO resort to give me a GOV rate discount online.

ksdave
09-23-2003, 09:17 PM
Motherfletcher, I have to disagree. My family (me, wife, DD 13, DS 11) have now stayed at PBH the last two trips to UO. We are NOT what I would classify as out of the ordinary (i.e., we are also part of the great "unwashed") and we feel very much at home and relaxed at PBH. The staff is extremely friendly and the service extraordinary. Eating at Mama Dellas is like a fun family get together at Grandmas, and the Beach pool is very much like a family day at the beach. We stayed in a Bay View back in Feb for two nights at $170 per night, and just had four nights in an upgrade to Deluxe for the same $170 per night. Both trips were thoroughly enjoyable for all of us, but particularly for the kids. We are currently reviewing dates for another trip within the next six months.

corvair
09-23-2003, 09:34 PM
We also stayed there in June... 2 DDs 10 and 13.... we loved it... never felt out of place...loved Mama Delas... anyone know if there are bayveiw rooms with balconies....or in the west wing facing the beach pool are there ground floor rooms we could walk out right to the pool??? thanks..corvair

SpideyHulk24
09-24-2003, 08:19 PM
ksdave,

Thank you for posting that. I like the idea of luxury and classy, but I don't want the atmosphere to be stiff.

Thanks! Can't wait to experience it for myself.

ksdave
09-24-2003, 09:18 PM
corvair;
Not sure about rooms going right out to the Beach pool, but the deluxe room we had on our upgrade (2236) had a really great patio with wrought iron furniture (chairs and a table) that overlooked the bocci ball court and the Villa pool. It was really great to go out there early in the morning in your robe to drink coffee and read the paper. Very peaceful and relaxing. There were a couple of days that I wasn't sure if I would be able to get my wife to leave the patio for the parks!

JessicaR
09-24-2003, 09:52 PM
Dave you had one of my favorite rooms! I dont blame your wife for not wanting to leave it! My son actually cut through the bushes to play bocce ball. (I'm sure it was designed so people wouldnt do that)!

corvair, there are no rooms that you can walk right out to the beach pool. I looked last time we were there thought that would be nice too!

corvair
09-25-2003, 05:41 AM
Thanks for the reply... do you know if there are balconies in the west wing overlooking the water taxi or on the other side looking over the beach pool???? thanks...amy

barb2626
10-16-2003, 11:52 AM
We have a hold on a kids suite at PBH for three nights. Would a deluxe club level room be better???? There will be two adults and three kids, the oldest child is only 8. I've read some really nice things about the club level but I am not sure we would be happy all sleeping in the same room, even though it would be a spacious deluxe. Any advice???????

Thanks!

:wave2: :chat:

thedisneymom
10-16-2003, 03:52 PM
If it were me I would prefer the kids suite- separate bedrm, extra tv and video games . three kids under 8 -you deserve a private room. Besides the snacks at club level don't sound worth it.

JessicaR
10-16-2003, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by thedisneymom
If it were me I would prefer the kids suite- separate bedrm, extra tv and video games . three kids under 8 -you deserve a private room. Besides the snacks at club level don't sound worth it.

Absolutely agree!

*Flower*
10-17-2003, 05:10 AM
I thought that PBH didn't have a club level.........

Has this changed????

thedisneymom
10-17-2003, 06:28 AM
yes, but they say its expensive and the treats aren't worth the extra money.

dorisdvu
10-17-2003, 06:44 AM
Does anyone know the appx price difference between a standard room and a kids suite? Also, can you get AAA, fan club or entertainment rates on kids suites?

barb2626
10-17-2003, 09:43 AM
I was quoted a AAA price for a kids suite, first week in Feb., of $431/night. They told me to keep checking back because it is possible that there will be an Entertainment rate when the rates come out. I am hoping this is true. $431/night is a little high.:smooth:

JessicaR
10-17-2003, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by *Flower*
I thought that PBH didn't have a club level.........

Has this changed????

It changed very recently, it had been in the works for a while. Its about a month that they have been offering it again. Seems too pricey, but I am curious and will check it out in December.

Kids suites at Portofino can usually be booked at a discount using AAA, Fan Club or AP. I havent seen in the past a kids suite booked at an ER. Maybe that will change.

New picture of a Kids Suite
http://themeparks.universalstudios.com/orlando/website/resort_hotels/por_rooms.html

SamR
10-17-2003, 01:46 PM
Does anyone know the appx price difference between a standard room and a kids suite?It varies seasonally, but I think the difference in rate is typically somewhere around $200 per night on the rack rates. Also, can you get AAA, fan club or entertainment rates on kids suites?I know that you can get fan club rates, because I have one for our upcoming PBH stay in December. When I called, I was first quoted a rate of $459 per night for the kids suite. When I then asked for the fan club rate, I was able to book at $321 per night. Still a bit steep, but from the things that I have seen/read about PBH and the kids suites, I'm expecting (hoping!) it will be worth it!

I'm ready to go to PBH! :hyper:

*Flower*
10-17-2003, 03:59 PM
Thanks JessicaR-

I knew that if anyone would know..... you would!!

dimimi
12-06-2003, 07:52 PM
What is the pool area and pool slide like? Does anyone have any pictures. THANKS

JessicaR
12-06-2003, 08:22 PM
Portofino has 3 pools, 3 hot tubs and 1 cold plunge pool. The beach pool has the slide and a kids area. Look here (http://www.yourmagicaljourneys.com/Universal/portofino_bay_resort.htm) for some pictures. Also here (http://www.usoinfo.com/PhotoGallery/Portofino/PortofinoBayHotel/index.html)

Tinkerbelle'sMOM
12-15-2003, 06:56 AM
We just got back from the PBH....we are so disappointed in our stay...poor service, the room was looking really worn, we had over $60 of mini-bar charges that we didn't use (I gave the key back to the desk upon check-in and when I checked out and disputed the charges the girl questioned me until I told her to look and see if our mini-bar key was with them and it was...no apology, nothing), the bellboy forgot about our luggage (we checked in at 103pm, not like he was busy or anything), never got our welcome gift or daily paper, despite calling 2x per day. Several of the eateries closed early for "training".

We usually stay at the Hard Rock and I have to say, nothing is compelling me to stay at PBH again. I was very disappointed in the Christmas decorations also, I really thought there would be more!

But I did love the tub and the listening to the TV in the bathroom :D And the main pool is very awesome!

Motherfletcher
12-17-2003, 07:28 AM
Did they have the Grinch storytelling at night?

Crissy7682
12-17-2003, 12:36 PM
Anyone know anything about their spa services? My FI and I will be staying off site but would like to get a couples spa while we are in Orlando on our HM.

maggiew
02-02-2004, 03:35 PM
I am still a little confused. We have booked a Bay View room for August. Will I potentially get an upgrade with my Loews Blue card? If so, what might the upgrade be? Pool View? Deluxe view? Which would be better? We do plan on swimming in the pool in the afternoons. My kids are 12 and 9.

Maggie

ksdave
02-02-2004, 07:12 PM
When we went in September, we were booked into a Bay View. When I presented my Loews Blue card (at that time) and asked what upgrade was available, they gave us a Deluxe room overlooking the Villa pool. It was awesome.
Now that we stayed at PBH six nights last year, they have upgraded me to a Loews Gold card. Hoping to get a Deluxe again for our five night stay in May :bounce:

PartyofSix
02-02-2004, 07:24 PM
Chrissy the greenhouse spa at PBH is awesome and i highly recommend the facials. Massages are nice but the facial is awesome. Hope you have a wonderful honeymoon. Greenhouse can be found online too. Remember aph's get a discount of 20% i think it is.

Maggie if your staying bayview your upgrade is a deluxe pool view there one in the same. All poolviews are deluxe rooms. Best wishes for an upgrade. Have a blast.

AlisonB
03-02-2004, 05:46 PM
Just booked for our first ever stay at PBH at the end of March. We're really excited! Got what we think is a great rate of $159 for a garden view room.

I've been reading through other posts on this thread - and I'm a little confused about the rooms that are available. If I'm reading it right, we'll get a room either in the East or West wing, overlooking the shrubs etc - yes? we requested a quiet non smoking roon, as our 2 DDs are very light sleepers - so does anyone have any idea as to where we may end up!!

Thanks!

jmkst58
03-12-2004, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by PartyofSix
Chrissy the greenhouse spa at PBH is awesome and i highly recommend the facials. Massages are nice but the facial is awesome. Hope you have a wonderful honeymoon. Greenhouse can be found online too. Remember aph's get a discount of 20% i think it is.

Maggie if your staying bayview your upgrade is a deluxe pool view there one in the same. All poolviews are deluxe rooms. Best wishes for an upgrade. Have a blast.

Hello all! I really want a deluxe room...I don't care about the view...The only other thing that I care about is having the shortest possible walk to the boats or theme parks.

I have a garden view booked...& I am a loews blue member..but now that I've read about the deluxe room...I have to have it. So...I think I'm going to have to call and change my room type. I just call & ask for a deluxe room? There aren't different categories or views? Every deluxe room in the property is considered a 'poolview deluxe'? Also..I read that some don't have balconies or patios. Correct?

TIA!!

jmkst58
03-12-2004, 11:53 AM
OK....COMPLETELY ignore that last post. the rep on the phone talked me into upgrading to club level. :D My DH is going to kill me..... :-)

Any info on room location, view, etc. is highly appreciated. I'm off to read this 10 page thread from start to finish once again to study up on club level. My goodness... what problems I have, huh? :D

coachYO & my 3 girls
03-26-2004, 11:03 AM
We have a Deluxe view in June for 4 nights. I have a few?'s.

1) What kind of upgrade would we get from that with our new Loews card?

2) Any chance of getting it?

3)Would checking earlier be to our advatage or not?

Mattmax
04-23-2004, 07:53 PM
Just talked to nice guy at 1888-273-1311, and got guotes on June 8 to 12. Entertainment rate 186. for first 3 nights then 215, and AP rates 188. Still shopping though, cant decide which resort..
:crazy:

bcnancy
05-09-2004, 07:48 PM
When we booked this past week we were told there were no balconies in this hotel. I asked for ground floor with a patio or balcony and we never got it. We did get the Bay view. Can anyone tell me if there are balconies? I guess it's not a big deal except it would be nice to sit with my coffee in the early morning.

*Flower*
05-09-2004, 08:02 PM
The only suite that I know has a balcony is the Presidential suite- or whatever they call the most expensive suite in the hotel.

I wouldn't want to pay that price for a balcony.........

ksdave
05-09-2004, 08:56 PM
Our deluxe room from our last trip had a great patio with a table and two chairs. Great for morning coffee and evening wine. It was room 2236.

Familyof14
05-14-2004, 10:29 AM
A Garden View room in Portofino finally opened up and I got a AAA rate of $255 for 4 adults and one adult sized child..

So far, that's the best rate I have seen for a Garden View at Portofino since I missed getting the FAN Club rate of $242. :)

Are the Garden View rooms always on the ground floors?:D Any particular building?

coachYO & my 3 girls
05-14-2004, 10:45 AM
ksdave,
your patio room was a deluxe, correct? I have a deluxe reserved & I don't think the views are that great as compared to having a nice patio, would you request this room ahead of time? What was around your patio? How far away were you from the pools, docks and food? Can you go on & off the patio or do you have to go out through the main door. How was the noise around? Do you know if I could call and requets this room? Do you have any other suggetions for the PBR?
Thanks, YO

:bounce: :Pinkbounc princess: princess:

ksdave
05-14-2004, 08:29 PM
Our deluxe room overlooked the bocce ball court and the Villa Pool. It was extremely peaceful in the morning. But, it was also 9/11-9/15/03, so the hotel was pretty empty. The patio had small bushes around it, separating it from the other rooms' patios. Our room was a very short walk to both the Villa Pool and the Beach Pool, as well as the dock and the Piazza (sp?). It was in the west wing (a must at PBH), and had an interior corridor you could follow to the lobby area. You could not walk off the patio to the Villa Pool without climbing over some hedges. I would call ahead and request a west wing room if possible.
A definite must for those staying at PBH is a dinner at Mama Della's. Best Italian food I have ever found outside of NYC. Also, the Gelateria is a great place for morning coffee or late night gellato (Italian ice cream - very rich). Also, make sure you save time to explore the rest of the hotel. It is a really beautiful place, even the convention area. The Thirsty Fish is a nice open-air bar down by the dock with sports on the tube. Bar American is near the lobby and serves some great finger foods during happy hour. If you want some awesome pizza, go to Sal's Market for the brick oven pizza. My favorite is Italian Sausage and extra cheese.

Familyof14
05-15-2004, 05:36 PM
We love Bocce Ball. Hope our Garden view is near it.

mouseRD
06-04-2004, 12:26 PM
Has anyone stayed there recently? Any insights? Likes/dislikes? No posts since 5/15 about this resort & we are considering staying there this fall.

Daryl
06-04-2004, 02:28 PM
I'm headed back in a couple of weeks. Was just there in Feb. It is Hands down the best resort, Including the Grand Floridian, that I have ever been to.

mouseRD
06-04-2004, 03:31 PM
Thank you, Daryl!

ksdave
06-04-2004, 07:12 PM
Our stay last month was awesome as usual.
However, the best part was actually caused by a mistake they made at the end of our trip. We checked out on Wednesday morning around 8AM and had the bellhop put our luggage in storage while we did the parks. We went back to the hotel for our towncar pickup at 4PM, they efficiently loaded the car for us and off to MCO we went. When the driver unloaded the baggage at MCO we realized we were short one bag - a very important bag as it contained all of our medicines, work ID, etc. I called PBH, where they immediately put me on with the Bell Captain. He asked when our flight was, I explained it wasn't for (90) minutes. He personally jumped in the hotel's towncar and drove the (25) minutes to the airport, delivering the bag to us right at the Delta counter.
How many other hotels do you think would do that?

MadamG2U
06-05-2004, 08:37 PM
Now that is what I call good customer service!

Motherfletcher
06-08-2004, 01:45 PM
I have tried to read all threads and have rec'd conflicting info. I want a Club room with 2 queens and a balcony. Do I want 2663 or 2665? What are the hours for the pool table in the club room? How early is the morning offerings?
Thanks in advance.

MadamG2U
06-08-2004, 07:51 PM
We were there last August and stayed in room 2663. We had 2 queen beds and the balcony. I loved that room! Going this year but we've requested bayview rooms.

WDWmaniac125
06-11-2004, 06:37 AM
I'm staying at PBH from July 30- August 1. We are a group of 9 people( 3 rooms total) and I was wondering if you guys had any tips about restaurants, parks, etc. This is not my first time to UO but it's my first time onsite so I need all of the planning help I can get!

Thanks!:wave2:

cjsmith
06-12-2004, 02:32 PM
I'm at the Portofino right now and I can honestly say that this is the last time that we'll be staying here! They have screwed up on our rooms the whole time we've been here. They were over booked and gave us a regular room with access to the club even though I booked club. The room was about a 15 minute walk to even get to the club lounge. The manager on duty made all these promises about taking care of us today, finding us a better room, maybe even a suite. We were to have our bags all packed and call first thing this am and they would take care of moving them and setting us up in our new rooms first thing this morning. Well, we come back from the parks at 3:30 and our room isn't even ready and our bags are still in our old room. They sent me to the new room after waiting for 15 minutes, it's not ready still and it's not even a great room. So much for his promises of so overwhelming us that we would be dying to come back.
The lounge is a waste of money. For the cocktail hour last night they had either domestic cheeses or imported cheeses out and that was it! There are too many people using the club for the amount of food they have out and they don't restock. Breakfast as quickly whisked away at 9:55 am this morning. Boy, within 2 minutes, everything was gone!
I can honestly say that this trip has been a huge disappointment. I had such high hopes for this vacation and stay. We've always enjoyed our stay at Loew's hotels prior and are members of their club. Last weekend we stayed at the Ritz Carlton in South Beach and boy do they put this to shame!!!

Motherfletcher
06-13-2004, 07:24 AM
Boy, this doesn't sound good for the home team! I have PBH Club a week from tomorrow for 2 nights.:confused:
I'm getting a free night. Still not worth it? At $129 per night?
How did they overbook? What time of day did you check-in? Was it just because it was Saturday night?
I know what you mean about the Club Lounge being a quarter mile away! We had the last 2 rooms on the Villa wing last stay and no one believed me when I told them how far it was.:sad2:
So the club is so crowded just when they put the food out? Like feeding chickens? Or wolves?
You'll have to PM me all the gorey details.::yes::
And all the good things at Ritz Carlton South Beach.
Our two Ritz Carlton's in Naples are known for service.

If your still there, you should ask the manager if what he did to "take care of you" would make him want to come back?

cjsmith
06-13-2004, 08:45 AM
Hey Motherfletcher, our two Ritz Carltons in Naples are wonderful! Nice to see another person from Naples on line!

For the $129 a night it's well worth it. We paid $325 per night, plus $25 for a rollaway, so it's not worth it to me. The lounge is a mess right now and there are way too many people booked for this size club lounge. It's amazing to me that they let 2 full floors be club when they don't have the room in the lounge to take care of them. The poor people who work in here can't keep up with the cleaning to be able to restock the food!

cpl100
06-13-2004, 09:19 AM
cjsmtih, so sorry you are having trouble on your vacation. I hope they do something spectacular to make it up to you. Please keep us posted.

Daryl
06-13-2004, 10:04 AM
What a horror! I hope you at least had fun in the parks! I'm so sorry you are having such a hard time at the hotel. I am one of the people who love the Portifino Bay for its beauty, The room funishings, size, the Entertainment rates, AP discounts, and proximity to the parks. I go quite often and I'm heading back soon, but you are right, when the hotel is heavily booked they can make a mess of your trip. It has happened to me twice. The first time they released my room, after I had called to say I would be comming in late. They did finally find a decent room for me at a lower price but only after a lot of stress and strife. On my next stay they lost my reservation then charged my card twice by mistake, but I checked in early enough so that I was able to get a manager to retrieve the reservation and work with my bank to correct the over charge. Since then, at this hotel, I always call 5 days and 24hrs before I arrive, I get the names of the people I speak to and check in as early as possible. NONE of this helps you and again I'm so sorry for your trouble. I hope your next trip is much better!:D

Motherfletcher
06-14-2004, 06:20 AM
I plan to check in at about 7:30 AM a week from today. I'm going to self-park on the bottom parking level after unloading the bags (3 with $3 tip). I'm going to try my luck at a Suite upgrade from Club. If I'm still Club I will head directly to the Club Lounge after check-in for Concierge questions and to check the morning offerings. With our FOTL keys in hand I think we'll race to Universal. We'll split up and the kids can take the boat (longer walk) and I'll take the bus (A/C). We will check back periodically to see if the room is ready. Ready or not we'll be in the Club Lounge at 3 for pastries. We will probably return to the park after we get the room (another $3 for the 2nd half of the bellman's job). We'll miss the 5-7 offerings (which are probably the busiest) but home for the 9 o'clock cookies and milk.
My kids bought me a Krusty lap TV tray for Father's Day so I'll be able to make the trek to the Club Lounge, load up and fetch them their desires. Right!
I think, just as touring the park, timing has a lot to do with service and congestion at the Club Lounge and room assignment.
I'm going to try faxing my room request 4 days before arrival. I'm using a Portofino fax cover sheet that I picked up from another stay which might catch an eye. I'm asking for a Bay View with big balcony or Beach pool view like #2663.
Even though its a shot in the dark, I'm taking my daughter's report card to see if PBH still does the Grade A Kids Program. I've been told at RPR that they don't. I'll ask the desk clerk if they will print the cards that they used to.
I'll ask for T-Loews and a Loew's 1st welcome gift. If allowed I think I'll get the "Surprise Regoinal" gift. I'll ask for the local newspaper (last time was Miami Herald?).
What am I forgetting at check-in?
Who or where do I request the turn down service from 6-8 PM?

Daryl
06-14-2004, 06:39 AM
Good plan! Ask about turn down at the desk upon check-in. You Can also call housekeeping from your room. Have Fun:D :D :D

cjsmith
06-14-2004, 08:05 AM
Well, I'm back home in Naples and happy to be here. Our stay at the Portofino is one that I will not be re-doing. We had a great time in the parks, and the FOTL pass is a must as the lines were very long.

I call for towels Saturday at 9:00 PM. AFter 2 more phone calls I finally got my towels delivered at 10:40 PM! One of the towels was so covered with what looked like mold that I couldn't believe they sent it to my room! It was just one more example of what went wrong with the weekend.

The manager that we spoke with who promised to so overwhelm us never came through with a thing. The only person who finally helped us was the supervisor of the club lounge. When I asked her for the card of the general manager of the hotel, she asked what was wrong. When I told her, she kicked into high gear and made some phone calls. (This took place on Saturday afternoon.) Well, she got them to take almost $100 off the bill for our stay Saturday night and she also took off the $25 charge for the rollaway for both nights. That was very nice of her and she was the only person who seemed to really care about the clients. I thanked her quite often throughout the rest of our stay and made sure that I tipped her very well prior to leaving.

I will be writing to the general manager of the hotel as well as Loew's corporate offices. I don't know if service was down this weekend because they were sold out or what. I do know that paying $350 per night for a normal room should have afforded a much better experience at a hotel than it did.

On the good side, dinner at Emeril's was amazing. The food and service was wonderful. We also ate lunch yesterday at Tochoup Chop and again, amazing. They really know what they're doing at both of Emeril's restaurants.

cjsmith
06-14-2004, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by Motherfletcher
I plan to check in at about 7:30 AM a week from today. I'm going to self-park on the bottom parking level after unloading the bags (3 with $3 tip). I'm going to try my luck at a Suite upgrade from Club. If I'm still Club I will head directly to the Club Lounge after check-in for Concierge questions and to check the morning offerings. With our FOTL keys in hand I think we'll race to Universal. We'll split up and the kids can take the boat (longer walk) and I'll take the bus (A/C). We will check back periodically to see if the room is ready. Ready or not we'll be in the Club Lounge at 3 for pastries. We will probably return to the park after we get the room (another $3 for the 2nd half of the bellman's job). We'll miss the 5-7 offerings (which are probably the busiest) but home for the 9 o'clock cookies and milk.
My kids bought me a Krusty lap TV tray for Father's Day so I'll be able to make the trek to the Club Lounge, load up and fetch them their desires. Right!
I think, just as touring the park, timing has a lot to do with service and congestion at the Club Lounge and room assignment.
I'm going to try faxing my room request 4 days before arrival. I'm using a Portofino fax cover sheet that I picked up from another stay which might catch an eye. I'm asking for a Bay View with big balcony or Beach pool view like #2663.
Even though its a shot in the dark, I'm taking my daughter's report card to see if PBH still does the Grade A Kids Program. I've been told at RPR that they don't. I'll ask the desk clerk if they will print the cards that they used to.
I'll ask for T-Loews and a Loew's 1st welcome gift. If allowed I think I'll get the "Surprise Regoinal" gift. I'll ask for the local newspaper (last time was Miami Herald?).
What am I forgetting at check-in?
Who or where do I request the turn down service from 6-8 PM?

Wow, you're going to leaving Naples at 3:30 AM! I do agree that timing is important. We arrived at 10:00. There were a ton of people who arrived much later than us and got much better room assignments. They were giving people who didn't pay for club rooms on the club floors later on that same day.
I also belong to the Loew's program and we never got our gifts in our room, just the local Orlando paper delivered every morning.
I wouldn't count on a suite upgrade. From what they told us, they are almost fully commited for the next few weeks.
I wouldn't bother racing back for patries at 3. It was one plate of mini tiramisu, mini cannolis, and mini biscotti and that was it.

The problem that I see with the club floor is that they have 2 whole floors that they called club. The lounge itself is small for that amount of people and they only have 5 people who work here, 3 during the day and 2 in the evening. There is no way for them to take care of hundreds of people.

Now if I had paid the same rate as you ($129) per night, I would have been happy. (How did you ever get that rate?) But at $350 a night, I wasn't a happy camper. That was the AAA rate. The Florida resident rate was $30 more and the regular rack rate was $75 more.

Motherfletcher
06-14-2004, 09:20 AM
I have left here at 3:30 before, but not this time. We will leave for Orlando Friday after work. I always stay off-site before and after. The thing that gets me hot is my kids will like our $33/night room better than PBH. They just say that because it makes me hot. I don't know why I go through all their greif on Father's Day. The best present would be for Mom to keep them at home and I go alone. Last time we were there I was talking to father from Detroit that did exactly that, but didn't tell his family that he was going.
We leave the park when it starts getting congested/hot and they have to give us a room by 4 so we will be hanging in the Club shooting pool at 3. Maybe we can hustle enough to pay our bill? was the pool table busy? My DS16 wants me to teach him and we went through $20 worth of tokens at Motown last week. Pool is $2 per game on the arcade machines.
My kids will borrow towels from the pool or hunt down a maid's cart.
Sounds like my kids wouldn't eat the pastries anyway. They don't eat anything they haven't seen before or can't pronounce.
You didn't get a very good rate. I got a free night for staying at RPR twice before 6/30 and I got APH rate of $258 for the night I have to pay for. I bet that I could easily upgrade to a Portofino Suite for what you paid. You should have got the Loew's 1st welcome gift with AAA rates? At check out they would have given you $10 off the minibar at least.
Sounds like you ate well, anyway.
I'll try to make up for your loss on my stay! Whats the Club Supervisor's name? Whats the manager's name that I need to avoid? What are you suppose to tip Club employees?

cjsmith
06-14-2004, 09:58 AM
The only thing that we ate was really the breakfast and then my kids would have some cookies at night. The lines were so long to get the cheese and crackers that my husband wouldn't bother with it. I'm not going to fight with someone who basically takes plate fulls of food and leaves little for the others just so I can have a hunk of cheese! We usually stay club level when we travel and this time around we were quite surprised at how little they offered. And boy when times up, they quickly take everything away. Breakfast is over at 10 am and at 9:55 every morning, stuff was quickly put away! We stayed last weekend at the Ritz Carlton in South beach and paid the same rate and what a HUGE difference. We also stay at the Yacht Club about 25 nights per year and again, it's a big difference. The club rooms are on the same floor and they only have so many, so it's not as crowded. Saturday evening in the club lounge here was very crowded and loud. There wasn't a seat to be had anywhere. Breakfast Sunday morning was hard. We got there at 9 am and there were dirty dishes on almost every table and no where to sit. The staff was so busy that anyone who did find a table had to bus it themselves!
The reason that we couldn't upgrade to a suite or anyone else for that matter was that the hotel was SOLD OUT. It's also sold out for next weekend. This includes all of the suites. There wasn't a room available at any of the onsite hotels.
The pool table was very busy since there is only 1 and they will book hundreds of rooms for the club level. You basically get to
play a game and then have to be gracious enough to let others use it. Same with the 2 computers, you get 15 minutes on them and then have to let others have their turn as they also paid for the amenities.
What you tip depends on what they do for you. I tipped the valet staff $2 to $3 everytime they got our car. I also tip around $2 per bag at deluxe resorts. We gave one of the guys $10 on Saturday night because he would get us beer. I gave the supervisor $20 for her efforts.
Good luck and I hope you enjoy your staff.

Daryl
06-14-2004, 12:23 PM
If you don't mind I would also like the name of the helpful manager and the unhelpful one. Anyway welcome home:D :D :D

ksdave
06-14-2004, 06:45 PM
I am really shocked at how bad your experience was, cjsmith. We have NEVER had a bad trip to PBH, no matter what level we stayed in. Of course, we usually avoid peak season. However, last trip we were there during the opening weekend of Mummy, it was sold out, and we still received very good service.
One piece of info for all: As of 1/1, they no longer give the Loews First club gifts unless you are paying rack rate. Personally, I don't think milk & cookies, or a bottle of wine and cheese, are worth the difference between my PAP rate and the rack rate (last trip the difference was about $130/night). Also, you now need to request turn down service for anything less than a suite (i.e., garden view, bay view, deluxe) at check in.

Motherfletcher
06-15-2004, 05:24 AM
Thanks for the info, Dave.
Turndown at check-in. Will they take a request for when they turndown like 5-8?
I don't think I'll go rack for a "Regional Surprise". Anything else that they have taken from the Loew's 1st? Still get a 3 hour late check out? Still get into the gym?

Dave,
I went up to a guy that looked just like you in front of the Mummy on the 21st. Of course Tigger had been removed but I asked if his name was Dave and he was a Joe. My kids made fun of me all night for asking. You got a brother named Joe that was drinking at Finnegan's that nght?

cjsmith
06-15-2004, 09:06 AM
I was told that they weren't honoring the late check out. It may different if you're a Gold member of Loews, but they don't offer it for the Blue level.

Motherfletcher
06-15-2004, 09:45 AM
Thanks CJ,
I'll have to ask my Loews 1st status at check-in. I have the Gold card but as explained by RyGuy I should go back to Blue at 1/1/04. When I made ressie, through Loews 1st, she said she was going to put me down as Platinum! Because of all my stays in the last year? I don't know.

ksdave
06-15-2004, 08:43 PM
Motherfletcher;
No, I don't have a brother named Joe. We were at the AP event that Friday, but we avoided Mummy until around 9:15 because of the line. We did Shrek, then Jimmy, then Twister, then went over to Mummy. We rode it four times that night, and each time the line was shorter and shorter.
That Monday we did it five more times and it took less time for all five trips than the first time at the AP event due to our FOTL. We did spend quite some time at Finnegan's, but that was during Saturday's AP event, and again on Monday evening before regular close.

coachYO & my 3 girls
06-20-2004, 09:09 AM
We just left friday morning. Our experience was fantastic. Sorry yours was so bad. I upgraded to club after we got there. $60 a night. I never saw the club too busy that you couldn't find a place to sit or that food ran out. We had 4 nights and and used it each day for breakfast and the evening cocktail hour and the the nightly cookies and milk ( which I thought was the cheapest of all their offerings) They had wines and bud, budlight and peroni beers along with the assorted cheeses and meats and crackers. We also used it for the sodas and coffee and bottled water through out the day. The staff worked very had to accomodate everyone. I know they were over booked and had to place others in other rooms, we stayed in 2240 with a great patio over looking the bacci ball court and the villa pool. The room is exactly the same as club level rooms. (that's what I was told) For the price we got our $ worth as we would eat breakfast around 9 and then my youngest would want to got back and take a nap, meds wipe her out, then grab waters and sodas on the way out around 11 ish and with the room key get to ride all the rides we wanted and then have an early diner and then enjoy the cocktail hour then hit the pool. I asked one of the ladies in the club about the welcoming gift and she looked us up and said we didn't qualify for it as we used the ENT rate, but then said it would be taken care of, when we got back to our room after swimming, a bottle of white and nuts were there and the beds turned down the rest of our stay with chocolates included. The place never seemed busy until thursday night when we looked out from the cocktail hour and saw the lines for the water taxi, that did not look good, but then we didn't have to use them. Again, sorry your stay wasn't as enjoyable as ours.

YO

Familyof14
06-22-2004, 07:39 PM
What did you mean by "I know they were over booked and had to place others in other rooms"? Do you mean other rooms at Portofino or other rooms elsehere?

Motherfletcher
06-22-2004, 08:19 PM
I'm sitting in the club lounge with my 2 kids and 2 club staffers. There has been several kids here this afternoon but they just brought out the 9 o'clock cookies and milk and no one is here to eat them but us!
We are watching 50 First Dates and playing on the computers.
This morning at 6 I got my son up and we went to the fitness center. I am surprised that this amenity has not made the reviews. The steam room is awesome and the sauna is nice as well. I kind of stumbled on the co-ed whirlpool which is a "must do". I know when I suggested the fitness center as an option to the in room bath facilities it was frowned upon based on the room cost but the spa is ten times as nice as the deluxe bathrooms on club level. The service and the facilities are nothing less than elegant. Six in the morning is the perfect time to have the place to yourself.
I have to go get some more of those macadamia cookies!

Familyof14
06-22-2004, 09:09 PM
You will have to work out even harder tomorrow if you eat those cookies! :D

Thanks for sharing the spa info. I was the one that said something about using the spa for showering. Where is the spa located? That could make a BIG difference in whether we could use it.

Motherfletcher
06-23-2004, 06:29 AM
It is in the middle of the villa wing on the first floor (pool level) on a hallway cut through between the villa and beach pools.
I took my daughter this morning and it was very nice. She used all of the skin cleansers, toners, toothbrush/paste, shampoo, conditioner, hair spray, deodorant, lotion, etc. that they offered. We had a nice soak and chat alone in the whirlpool for half an hour.
The elevator for the spa wasn't far at all from our club room.
I better go get my son up. The club lounge morning offerings have some really nice fruit this morning. The strawberries are bigger than ping pong balls (not pithy) and the fresh red raspberries really take me home. They have every kind of dry cereal and 8 or 9 different rolls and bagels.
Off to USO and FOTL!

coachYO & my 3 girls
06-23-2004, 09:37 AM
Familyof14, I meant that they put people in rooms at the Portifino, the Deluxe rooms which are the same as the club level rooms, with the larger bathrooms with the seperate shower and tub. I loved our location much better than if I was up on the 5th or 6th floor which are "club level rooms" I could get around to everyhthing I wanted quickly by stair or elevator, we were closer to the villa pool and beach pool area also and could be out in the harbor area in seconds or the the club just as well. It was great! I remember those strawberries well, and the melons were great too! Everyone enjoy! YO

Familyof14
06-23-2004, 12:21 PM
Thank you for the info from both of you. The spa sounds nice. I hope they do not move us because we really need the regular bathroom since we have 5 adults. Can't take a shower and have someone brushing their teeth without losing privacy.

cjsmith
06-23-2004, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by coachYO & my 3 girls
We just left friday morning. Our experience was fantastic. Sorry yours was so bad. I upgraded to club after we got there. $60 a night. I never saw the club too busy that you couldn't find a place to sit or that food ran out. We had 4 nights and and used it each day for breakfast and the evening cocktail hour and the the nightly cookies and milk ( which I thought was the cheapest of all their offerings) They had wines and bud, budlight and peroni beers along with the assorted cheeses and meats and crackers. We also used it for the sodas and coffee and bottled water through out the day. The staff worked very had to accomodate everyone. I know they were over booked and had to place others in other rooms, we stayed in 2240 with a great patio over looking the bacci ball court and the villa pool. The room is exactly the same as club level rooms. (that's what I was told) For the price we got our $ worth as we would eat breakfast around 9 and then my youngest would want to got back and take a nap, meds wipe her out, then grab waters and sodas on the way out around 11 ish and with the room key get to ride all the rides we wanted and then have an early diner and then enjoy the cocktail hour then hit the pool. I asked one of the ladies in the club about the welcoming gift and she looked us up and said we didn't qualify for it as we used the ENT rate, but then said it would be taken care of, when we got back to our room after swimming, a bottle of white and nuts were there and the beds turned down the rest of our stay with chocolates included. The place never seemed busy until thursday night when we looked out from the cocktail hour and saw the lines for the water taxi, that did not look good, but then we didn't have to use them. Again, sorry your stay wasn't as enjoyable as ours.

YO

We checked in on Friday, maybe it's the weekend that makes the difference. I do know that they were sold out over the weekend. Sunday morning they said it was a zoo checking everyone out. The manager had said that if only we were there during the week, our stay would have been different.

thedisneymom
06-23-2004, 09:48 PM
Hi! I'm arriving around noon tomorrow-will you still be at PBH? See ya in the club lounge! Me -DM47,DH47,DS 21, DD15 Did you get the room number you wanted with the balcony-2663? Is it nice?

Familyof14
06-24-2004, 09:48 AM
We arrive late Friday night (hope all rooms are not gone, but I will call to let them know we will arrive late) and we check out early Sunday morning. UGH! Don't they have an Express checkout so that we do not have to go through the desk? We will be on a mission to the cruise port.

GeminiMom
06-24-2004, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by Familyof14
We arrive late Friday night (hope all rooms are not gone, but I will call to let them know we will arrive late) and we check out early Sunday morning. UGH! Don't they have an Express checkout so that we do not have to go through the desk? We will be on a mission to the cruise port.

Familyof14,
We checked out via the TV in the room when we were there a few weeks ago. Pulled up the information in the guest services menu on the remote, verified that all the charges were correct & checked out. Never had to bother with the front desk! Enjoy your stay at PB & your cruise!:D

Familyof14
06-24-2004, 07:19 PM
:cool:

Motherfletcher
06-26-2004, 04:35 PM
They offer three options for check out. It is painless.

disneyholic family
06-27-2004, 04:58 AM
two questions (i apologize if they've been asked before):

how late are the pools open?

where are the club level rooms located?

oh...and where is the club level lounge located?

thanks!

coachYO & my 3 girls
06-27-2004, 02:01 PM
Thats 3 questions. :)
The beach pool until 9 or 10 and the Villa pool until 11 I believe.

Club level rooms are on the 5th & 6th floor of the Villa wing

The club lounge is on the 3rd floor, same floor you come in on to register, just down the hall from the front desk, just past the American Lounge.

You'll love the place. YO

disneyholic family
06-27-2004, 03:26 PM
thanks...
well this should be interesting...our very first time staying at universal...we visited the parks once 3 years ago, but didn't stay onsite... i should add that we had hated them......nevertheless, we decided to give it another chance...this time staying onsite to see what it's like...i'm looking forwards to it...especially the portofino...

is it very far from the villa wing to the club level lounge?..
does the lounge tend to get crowded?...
it's kind of exciting trying something completely new...

Motherfletcher
06-28-2004, 05:18 AM
I think that the club lounge could be busy for the time of your stay. I would recommend arriving early.
The villa wing can be very far from the club lounge. I have stayed in the farthest room #2397 and thought I would never get there. It was a hardship for my MIL.

Pools-
Beach pool- 8-10
Villa pool- 6-11
Hillside pool 8-6
I watched as they ran the people out of the beach pool right at 10 o'clock. But I saw a guy swimming before 8 in the morning.

thedisneymom- I think we just missed you.:(

disneyholic family
06-29-2004, 02:24 PM
:(
it's going to be really hard to drag DD and DS out of the room if the concierge lounge is that far away.....this does not bode well for our opinion of universal....talk about inconvenient...

does the hard rock hotel have concierge?....i wonder if the situation is better there....

RyGuy
06-29-2004, 03:18 PM
disneyholic family,

HRH does have a club lounge like PBH. It is much more convenient as it is located on the 7th floor with all the club rooms.

*Flower*
06-29-2004, 06:34 PM
The Hard Rock isn't nearly as spread out as Portofino, but I've done concierge at HR, and I prefer Portofino (haven't done concierge there) because of the attitude.

Have fun!!

disneyholic family
06-30-2004, 01:00 AM
hmm....wish i'd known that before..
well i'll call today and see if i can change the reservation...
somehow i doubt it as i'm sure they're booked solid considering it's a holiday weekend, but you never know...
if i can't change it, i'm sure we'll enjoy the portofino bay also...

idlewoman1
07-02-2004, 06:57 PM
We just got back from a 2 week stay in Orlando and stayed at the Portifino for 4 days. We were in the East Wing, overlooking a garden which was just a short walk to one of the smaller pools. We loved the hotel and the boat taxi service was nice when it was running, (during lightning storms it doesn't run so you have to rely on the poor bus shuttle). Our only complaints were that the Gellato place has hours from 6:30 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. and then 4 till 11. If you arrive back from a day at the park and want something to snack on tough luck!!! ANd there are NO vending machines onsite, only a pay refrigerator in your room stocked with over proced food items and pop. The other restraunts for getting something quick close up too early as well, but other than that it was very nice. The main beach pool is very nice and the staff for serving drinks and food is very attentive. We got a AAA discount rate of $214 a night. Still pricey and you have a $6 per day self park charge if you have a rental car, which we thought should be included in the price. No laundry facilities for those staying longer than a few days, but you can walk the path to the Har Rock Hotel and use one of their 4 small washers, if available.

Patch'sD
07-13-2004, 03:27 PM
Gellato or whatever the name is closes at 10:00 PM. SALs Deli which sells sandwichs, Pizza and some snacks closes at 11:00 PM, I think.

714atuf
07-28-2004, 05:52 AM
Agree with idlewoman1, my one big complaint was that there was no where to get a snack when you get back from the park. Parks closed at 10 and Gelateria closed at 10. How many time can you eat pizza?

Question:

We had a wonderful time on our last trip in July and I wanted to write a letter telling someone how wonderful Pat at the front desk treated us. Who should I send that letter to?

Motherfletcher
07-28-2004, 06:10 AM
Portofino Bay Hotel [PBH_Customer_Service@loewshotels.com]

Motherfletcher
07-28-2004, 06:13 AM
I'm sorry a letter should go to:

Paul Leclerc, General Manager
The Portofino Bay Hotel
5601 Universal Blvd
Orlando, FL 32819-7888
407-503-1000

thedisneymom
08-03-2004, 08:03 PM
Motherfletcher- If you could change/add anything to PBH club what would it be? I'm curious to see what your ideas are.

Motherfletcher
08-04-2004, 06:44 AM
I would like the Club on the same floor as the room. I need some place to show off my silk One Fish, Two Fish pajamas. A common complaint is how far you have walk to get to the club.
I would change the nightly offering to include something hot that kids would eat like little corn dogs, hot dogs or mac and cheese. Maybe oatmeal in the morning. An ice cream social at night would be nice.
The sodas and water should be in large tubs on ice.
I would keep the club open until midnight since after the pool closes there isn't much to do at PBH. A 24 hour Apu's Kwik E Mart would make a killing!
I would spring for a separate buffet table so you could play pool anytime. Using the pool table for food reminds me of the Beverly Hillbillies.

thedisneymom
08-04-2004, 08:59 AM
I am rolling on the floor laughing because I also have the one fish, two fish pj's! Yes, kids offerings would be nice. I also hated the pool table thing. The tepid water is to keep you from taking them to the parks I was told. Fooled them we asked for cups of ice at the counters. Kwik e mart! Too funny!:p

Motherfletcher
08-04-2004, 09:14 AM
It's a good thing we weren't there at the same time. They would have kicked us and all 4 fishes out!

thedisneymom
08-04-2004, 03:01 PM
I most certainly agree! I think having real cool themed pj's is so much fun and puts you in vacation mode. Wacko as it may seem to the concierge when you show up at dawn dressed in them.:crazy:

kuklamoo
08-05-2004, 05:59 AM
I'm leaving for PBH Aug. 17-20, anything I need to know? We are staying Club level with a 4 and 7 year old. I booked the hotel for my interests and relaxation, as we are staying 7 nights at the Swan in WDW right before that. Reading the posts make me a little nervous...

Motherfletcher
08-05-2004, 06:11 AM
Housekeeping? Length of walk? Offerings? Restaurants? What is making you the most anxious?

kuklamoo
08-05-2004, 02:36 PM
I guess I am wondering if my children are going to enjoy themselves at the PBH after having the Disney treatment for 7 days. Are there things to do after 7 pm? How long does it take a family to get from their room (let's assume club level) to US and IOA if we take the water taxi. Or is the bus faster?
I know my DH and myself will enjoy it but my concern iswill my kids enjoy themselves?

thanks!

thedisneymom
08-05-2004, 06:00 PM
It takes about 15 min. to go to the parks if the water taxi is there. We only waited 10 minutes at the most when it wasn't. As for the kids- 1 pool is open until 10 unless a storm approaches. The gameroom is another option. The pool table is used for some breakfast items so around 8 the kids had to stop playing. You can borrow some movies in club lounge for the room and sometimes if the tv in the club lounge isn't being used you can put it on there for them. You can also go over to Citiwalk. there is a nice theater there. The parks at night are always an option too!

kuklamoo
08-07-2004, 12:20 PM
Thanks for the info. I'm thinking that after seven days of disney, we may like the more quiet evenings at pbh!

thedisneymom
08-07-2004, 09:07 PM
My pleasure! Have a wonderful trip!

ellieb
10-09-2004, 12:02 PM
Does the Portofino have dive in movie nights like HRH does.
Also do they have cabana's and how many??
I have read this thread and it seems that I may be better off staying at the Portofino instead of HRH as there have been many unhappy guest over at HRH.
Someone please help

raider93
10-09-2004, 12:19 PM
How would you rate the Kid's Suites at PBH? I am staying there three nights after Disney and was wondering where they were located and what ammenities they have in them.

thedisneymom
10-11-2004, 05:51 PM
When we were there in July PBH had dive-in movies on Saturday nights. Spiderman and Independence Day. There are also 16 cabanas all around the quiet pool which is the villa pool. They are all the same and location doesn't matter. There were never booked completely even though we were there at one of the busiest times. The cabanas are not themed and are as follows:
regular(just the cabana,chairs, 2 lounges, table, tent)
deluxe which runs about $20 more for the tv, fruit basket, and 6 sodas of your choice or water). You can call the hotel directly and ask for the pool area and reserve ahead. Any other questions ask away!

Motherfletcher
10-12-2004, 06:40 AM
Originally posted by ellieb
Does the Portofino have dive in movie nights like HRH does.
Also do they have cabana's and how many??
I have read this thread and it seems that I may be better off staying at the Portofino instead of HRH as there have been many unhappy guest over at HRH.
Someone please help

Right before we went to PBH in July there was quite a few posts complaining about PBH (Club, housekeepnig, cost, service, distance from room to elevator, etc.).
We stayed the course and went to PBH and had a good trip. We left as the disneymom was arriving and we both had a good stay. I'm going to HRH in Dec. and again in Jan. and I don't anticipate any problems. If someone is treated unjustly they are more likely to post (vent) than if they had a good trip. I don't think its likely you can go wrong (or be wronged at either hotel). I do know that we have stayed at all 3 resorts several times and HRH still gets my kids' (11&16) vote as the best.:rockband: Rock On!

ellieb
10-12-2004, 07:55 AM
Motherfletcher- I consider you a valuable asset to these boards!!! Thank you so much for your knowledge and advise. I will stick with my HRH ressies and let you know when I get back in April how things went. Im sure it will all be fine as I seem to be always happy no matter where I am, when I am on vaca!!!!

thedisneymom
10-12-2004, 11:35 AM
Housekeeping aside-good stay is putting it mildly. I agree you will have a fabulous time. We surely did! Although, meeting Motherfletcher would have been the icing on the cake! He is just too funny.

FeeFeeWhite
11-08-2004, 09:53 AM
Calling for your expertise also - please check your PM's!

CPM
11-08-2004, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by raider93
How would you rate the Kid's Suites at PBH? I am staying there three nights after Disney and was wondering where they were located and what ammenities they have in them.

The last two times we have stayed at PBH we were upgraded to kids suites. I don't like these as much as the executive suites. They only have one bathroom. But I'm certainly not going to complain when it's a free upgrade!
They are standard king bed rooms with another room that has two twin beds in it and a closet. A very empty room. The king room also has a twin pull out chair. I have had one in the East wing near the quiet pool with a balcony and the other one was right near the boat dock on the first floor.

FeeFeeWhite
11-09-2004, 02:20 PM
Are they all located in the villa wing or are some in the west wing?

*Flower*
11-09-2004, 04:55 PM
We were upgraded to a Deluxe with Parlor, and it was lovely!!

The only hiccup we had was when our bills were dropped off. We had one bill for the bedroom and one bill for the parlor. I had to go down to the desk to get it straightened out.

I was a Loew's Blue at the time, now I'm a Platinum and haven't been able to get upgraded since. :(

FeeFeeWhite
11-09-2004, 07:12 PM
We have a problem with billing each time we are upgraded.

Mouselander
11-15-2004, 01:16 PM
Just looking over some of these posts about PBH and I am getting worried! It does sound big and what is this about a pool table used for serving the food?!? Do they allow us to bring food back to our room from the lounge?
We let our HRH resv. go so we could try PBH. We have stayed at RP and 3 times at HRH and LOVED them both....Just hope that things workout at PBH. ;)

Motherfletcher
11-16-2004, 06:38 AM
You can take food back to the room but most don't since the room is on a different floor. My kids bought me a Simpson's TV tray for Dad's Day so I could go fetch them mass quantities of cookies (like that was going to happen). We took sodas every time we walked by and actually left with quite a stash. They cover the pool table and put the breakfast fruit on it in the morning and they cover it for the evening offering. If you plan to shoot stick you need to bring your own chalk.

thedisneymom
11-16-2004, 08:27 PM
And probably your own table too! lol All kidding aside you will have a wonderful time. Don't let our little jokes frighten you. Motherfletcher and I can be quite wicked at times.

nkpe
11-28-2004, 04:15 PM
Help! We have reservations at Disney Boardwalk Inn concierge floor 12-15 for a week. We have always stayed at Disney resorts in the past and have NEVER stepped foot on Universal. But, this trip the kids are older (13 and 10 but we have a 3 year old too) and we are spending days at Universal. Happened across info about PBH and it looks wonderful too. I can get club rooms at PBH for about $250 on Expedia for the same time. That's a savings of over $200 PER night versus BWI and Disney. Plus, I was attracted to the benefit of getting to go to the front of the line at Universal if staying at the resort. I would appreciate any thoughts or comments from all of you experienced Disney/Universal folks!

Thanks

thedisneymom
12-20-2004, 10:48 AM
You will have a woderful time front of the line is everything and it is such a beautiful hotel.

Docsknotinn
12-30-2004, 11:54 AM
Has anyone stayed at this property while visiting Disney ? I was wondering what the drive was like. I'm familiar with the area but my daily drive there was 15 years ago and I haven't returned since '96. This hotel looks great with rates that are leaving me with nearly $1500 in my pocket on a Bay room Vs a lagoon view at the GF. Planning on May 4-10.

thedisneymom
12-31-2004, 08:24 PM
We were lucky enough to stay there for 10 days last summer-five of which were spent at Disney. The ride was about 20-30 minutes early in the morning. You will love it here!

Docsknotinn
12-31-2004, 09:20 PM
Thanx, My AAA agent was able to pull up rates that were much better for Disney than I could get directly from the Disney Web site. They look like even better deals for us after the 2 nd. I'm still really thinking about just staying at the Portofino this time instead of Disney because its rated so high. On the Leows web site they have a 25% room discount on 5 nights or more and that makes a very attractive rate although we only want to spend 1 day at Universal and 4 at Disney. Toying with the possability of a few days at the AKL but I really prefer not to move hotels once we get settled.

ksdave
01-02-2005, 05:13 PM
I would stay the entire time at Portofino. It is a truly awesome resort. I would also do the UO parks first, because you may then change your mind and do 2-3 days of UO and less at WDW. Overall, IMHO, the attractions at UO are better than the comparable ones at WDW, and lend themselves to second and third visits more than the mouse's. The prime example in my mind is MIB versus Buzz Lightyear. MIB is, by far, the better attraction. Plus, the automatic Express access of your hotel key card will spoil you and you may not want to stand on the lines at WDW.

thedisneymom
01-03-2005, 09:58 PM
We did the opposite. We went to all the Disney parks first so we could be spoiled by front of the line at Universal last. This way we could break in the afternoon by the pool after arriving early at the parks(just like Motherfletcher does), and later in the evenings go back just to walk around, eat at Citiwalk, or do some more rides. This year we are planning hotel hopping at Disney but saving our last four days for Portofino. Although, it may spoil me so badly I may never go home. :cloud9:

Gary & Lisa
02-04-2005, 03:16 PM
Hello! We will be staying at the PBH for 3 nights this month (Feb 22 thru 25). We got the double room with the Club Lounge. They said our room overlooks the bay. We are not sure what the double room is and we were wondering about the Club Lounge. We wondering about the beer and wine. Do they let you bring that back to your room and is it self serve or do we have to tip a bartender?

thedisneymom
02-04-2005, 03:21 PM
Club lounge had food and wine and beer that is self serve and you can take it anywhere, but the lounge is so pretty that you may like to stay there. You do not have to tip concierge. As for the double room-I'm thinking 2 double beds rather than 1 king. Bay view is beautiful and close to the boatdock.

Gary & Lisa
02-04-2005, 04:05 PM
Thanks for responding so quickly! Do you know the hours for this Club Lounge?

thedisneymom
02-06-2005, 01:29 PM
It opens at 7 with a delicious assortment of danish, croissants, friut, juice, coffeee, tea, and bottled water. Soda and the other beverages are offered throughout the day. My favorite was making an iced coffee for the pool. Around 10;30 is 2 kinds of smoothies and granola bars. Three o'clock is mini biscotti, tiramisu squares and mini cannolis. Five o'clock is assorted cheeses crackers, roasted veggies, 2 wines and beer. Nine PM is the cookie tray- large choc chip, white choc macadaia, oatmeal and a few chocoltes(be prompt if you want the offerings). I think it closes at 10. There are 2 computers, a tv, movies, books and cds to borrow. Also, a pool table some hours(it is used for breakfast so they set it up after dinner). They can make your dinner ressies or help you with tickets etc. My advice is to get friendly with them and you will really enjoy the club lounge-my kids still talk of the staff and the fun they had conversing with them.

tomsueg
02-07-2005, 12:17 PM
Just wondering how folks book? Universal Website? Web travel (orbitz, expedia,...). Call PBH directly? I need to book and want to make sure I get the best rate possible.

thedisneymom
02-08-2005, 04:18 PM
I had booked directly with Univ if I recall correctly with an entertainment rate.

tomsueg
02-08-2005, 10:33 PM
I had booked directly with Univ if I recall correctly with an entertainment rate.
Thanks for the response thedisneymom

thedisneymom
02-10-2005, 01:05 PM
It was my pleasure!

TENIA66
02-18-2005, 03:34 PM
HELLO AGAIN

YOU ALL ARE GETTING FABULOUS RATES FOR YOUR STAY...I'M STAYING 24 THRU 26, DEPARTING 27 OF MARCH 2OO5, CURRENT RATE IS 374 FOR 2 BED QUEEN BAY VIEW......HOW DO I DO BETTER THAN THIS??? I BOOKED DIRECTLY WITH UNIVERSAL...DISCOUNT CODES ANYONE>>>>

:rotfl: TENIA :blush:

seabiscuit
02-18-2005, 09:40 PM
June 12,-June 18 Deluxe Rm $179 a night.

thedisneymom
02-24-2005, 02:23 PM
Great deal! That's better than the entertainment rate I got last year.

harmonize4me
03-02-2005, 12:45 PM
I booked a king deluxe at Portofino directly through universal. When I requested West side with balcony they told me they would make a note but couldn't guarantee it and that it would depend on whether it was available when we arrive. Does anyone have any tips on how I can increase my chances? Also, do all balconies face the bay or pools? Thanks!

thedisneymom
03-06-2005, 01:30 PM
Some say at the Disney hotels to fax your room requests 4 days before your arrival. If I remember correctly the wing faces both sides because it runs between the beach pool and the bay(boatdock area). You may want to check me on this one and make sure I'm not thinking of the villa wing. Don't get your hopes up for a balcony there are very few. Either way you can't go wrong at this hotel. All views seem lovely and there are many outdoor places to sit if you don't get one of those "cherished" balconies.

Motherfletcher
03-07-2005, 05:18 AM
I've tried the fax route at PBH at least 4 times without any luck. The best bet is at check in and I haven't done well there either!

murrayhaven
03-08-2005, 10:01 AM
just got off the telephone checking availability 3/21-3/23 for a standard room. regularly $374, with the AP $249!