PDA

View Full Version : No Parents

LB3
05-15-2011, 07:22 PM
So...any advice out there for a CS that will be arriving on his own. My parents cannot come with me...arriving on the 23rd for Fall Advantage.:cool2:

Loves Disney
05-15-2011, 09:56 PM
While I wasn't a CS, I arrived for the CP (Spring Adv. '09) alone and some of my experiences might apply...

Don't be afraid to talk with anyone. Being by yourself will help your confidence level rise tremendously. It will allow you to see that you truly are capable of being independent when it comes to things you may have otherwise believed you needed help with. However, while you may be independent, you certainly aren't alone - everyone will be there preparing for the same experience you are. If you have a question, ask! Ask anyone. You'll find that people are much more helpful than you think. You will also learn that people are much more talkative than you think. When it comes to Disney, most who are preparing to work there are comfortable with the idea of talking to complete strangers. This means, don't feel shy. Which leads me to my next suggestion...

Make friends! Being alone means now it's time to build your support group. You need some people to become your part-time family. You won't know who these people can be unless you talk. Don't expect everyone else to initiate conversation. I made some lasting friends just from the line I was standing in during check-in. (It also made the check-in process much less tedious and more fun haha).

I guess my main advice is don't be shy, ask questions, make friends, and don't forget that everyone is in the same boat as you are. Automatically, you will have something in common with those you meet during your check-in day...the start of something new and exciting with the Disney company...so talk with those around you! And above all, just enjoy it. Don't be afraid, no one there will let you down. Everyone is willing to help - so let your nerves relax and take it all in. :thumbsup2 Good luck!

p.s. I think it's a great advantage to people who arrive alone - being alone forces you to talk to new people and it really forces you to put yourself out there. Sometimes, going down with someone hinders that since most tend to remain in their comfort zones and talk only to those people accompanying them. (This is SOMETIMES the case, certainly not always).